Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush vs KC: World's biggest cult band.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Rush VS KC: World's biggest cult band.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [32.84%]
40 [59.70%]
1 [1.49%]
2 [2.99%]
2 [2.99%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 02:21
Cult bands are like religious cults - once you get to big you're not a cult anymore. If Rush is a cult band then the biggest cult band might as well be Iron Maiden...or Radiohead. But none of them qualifies to me and neither does King Crimson. A KC-fan won't usually love everything KC-related and be completely obsessive about all that is KC-related (most fans stop caring either mid-70's or early 80's - some mid-nineties). They have very little that is cultish about them really. 

I especially agree with BaldFriede on:
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

The Grateful Dead, Magma, Hawkwind
The Residents - now that's a cult band for you. Crazy fans still buy their sh*t and attend to their boring concerts even 35 years post their last semi relevant (or great) release. 

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 02:43
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Cult bands are like religious cults - once you get to big you're not a cult anymore. If Rush is a cult band then the biggest cult band might as well be Iron Maiden...or Radiohead. But none of them qualifies to me and neither does King Crimson. A KC-fan won't usually love everything KC-related and be completely obsessive about all that is KC-related (most fans stop caring either mid-70's or early 80's - some mid-nineties). They have very little that is cultish about them really. 

I especially agree with BaldFriede on:

The Grateful Dead, Magma, Hawkwind
The Residents - now that's a cult band for you. Crazy fans still buy their sh*t and attend to their boring concerts even 35 years post their last semi relevant (or great) release. 

Guru Guru are definitely a cult band in Germany; they even have their own festival (the Finkenbach festival) which happens (almost) every year.

Here part 1 of a German TV documentation about the 2011 Finkenbach festival:

The background is that Guru Guru used to live in Finkenbach for several years, and the whole village helps organizing this festival. The women cook and bake cakes, the men help building structures, the local fire brigade volunteers to help etc. And everyone loves Mani Neumeier, who really is an extremely amiable guy.

Edited by BaldFriede - March 31 2018 at 02:50

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 03:06
This poll surely isn't worth being resurrected. It isn't even worth writing in it to complain. LOL
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 04:01

Guru Guru are definitely a cult band in Germany; they even have their own festival (the Finkenbach festival) which happens (almost) every year...

...The background is that Guru Guru used to live in Finkenbach for several years, and the whole village helps organizing this festival. The women cook and bake cakes, the men help building structures, the local fire brigade volunteers to help etc. And everyone loves Mani Neumeier, who really is an extremely amiable guy.
That's nice and  I understand that it comes across like I don't see them as a cult band. That wasn't my intention but Guru Guru are not really among the biggest. They are closer to semiobscure bands with a cult following like... Faust or Swans (but probably smaller on a worldwide scale).    
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 06:36
RUSH
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 06:38
urrggg...  wouldn't consider either a cult band.. by any stretch of the definition.

as someone said ... you don't sell 40 million albums and get called anything but a mainstream artist..

and K.C. may not be any stretch of the definition mainstream...  they are still rather well known.. and highly respected by serious music fans.

Is being cult being unknown by casual music fans.. hardly...

Mick tends to see Cult bands much one might see Cult films...  those that have their PASSIONATE fans... but also have their passionate detractors. Honestly... you couldn't say either for Rush or K.C. One might not like them per se.... or simply enjoy picking on them... but they don't have 'anti' fan factions.

the two cult bands that jump to mind were of course noted earlier...  oh yes they have their fans.. and bet your ass there are those that very anti and can't stand them

VDGG and Magma jump immediately to me that fit cult band status perfectly
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 09:14
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Guru Guru are definitely a cult band in Germany; they even have their own festival (the Finkenbach festival) which happens (almost) every year...

...The background is that Guru Guru used to live in Finkenbach for several years, and the whole village helps organizing this festival. The women cook and bake cakes, the men help building structures, the local fire brigade volunteers to help etc. And everyone loves Mani Neumeier, who really is an extremely amiable guy.
That's nice and  I understand that it comes across like I don't see them as a cult band. That wasn't my intention but Guru Guru are not really among the biggest. They are closer to semiobscure bands with a cult following like... Faust or Swans (but probably smaller on a worldwide scale).    

As to world-wide state: Guru Guru are big in Japan. Mani Neumeier is actually better known in Japan than in Germany and is a real legend there. Really true! There even is a statue of Mani Neumeier in the Tokyo waxworks. Not to forget the Acid Mothers Guru Guru.

Mani Neumeier is actually married to Japanese performance artist Etsuko Watanabe.

And here an excerpt from a duo performance of them:

Edited by BaldFriede - March 31 2018 at 09:27

DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 09:53
Crimson
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 11:07
By the way: Here is a photo of Mani Neumeier with his wax effigy.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 11:17
^ nice...  having effigys of one's self gets you serious cult status...

which begs the question.. having seen that effigy of Trump hung from a tree yesterday. Does that make Trump our first cult President?
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 11:29
Crimson. Is it really cult band?
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 13:07

As to world-wide state: Guru Guru are big in Japan. 
Aren't most cult bands? 

There even is a statue of Mani Neumeier in the Tokyo waxworks. Not to forget the Acid Mothers Guru Guru.
Look who's also there:

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 22:45
Rush are typically considered to be the world's largest cult band. I think Geddy Lee himself said that. However, I'm not sure if I quite agree with that since they have been played a lot on the radio and have sold a ton of albums and have had imo their share of mainstream success but I do understand the statement. Regardless I prefer them over KC(who I also like a lot and have a lot of respect for) so I voted for Rush. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234