Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime Machine Prog Concerts!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 07:22
Isle of Wight 1970 would be my ultimate gig. ELP, Hendrix, Procol Harum, The Who, Jethro Tull, Moody Blues, The Doors, Pentangle, Hawkwind, Free and loads of others. The greatest ever musical line-up assembled in the UK.

Then there was the 1967 "package tour" around the UK featuring The Nice, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd and The Move. Cost for a ticket: £0.75!

Would also love to have seen the California Jam 1974 with ELP, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and one of the Led Zeppelin Earls Court 1975 concerts to see them at the height of their rock decadence.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 08:28
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

Isle of Wight 1970 would be my ultimate gig. ELP, Hendrix, Procol Harum, The Who, Jethro Tull, Moody Blues, The Doors, Pentangle, Hawkwind, Free and loads of others. The greatest ever musical line-up assembled in the UK.

Then there was the 1967 "package tour" around the UK featuring The Nice, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd and The Move. Cost for a ticket: £0.75!

Would also love to have seen the California Jam 1974 with ELP, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and one of the Led Zeppelin Earls Court 1975 concerts to see them at the height of their rock decadence.

all those are great from a music point of view although the Isle Of Wight is almost as famous for the toilet 'arrangements' as it is for the music (perhaps in my mind that isEmbarrassed)

Presumably you would avoid Woodstock as it was declared a 'National Disaster Area'Question
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 10:25
^
Yes I've read horror stories about one or two poor souls falling in to the trough at IOW 70! Would have been worth the risk to see all those amazing bands though. 
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 11:05
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Well, I have seen quite a few , so my list would be short. 
Tangerine Dream - FBF trio/era
Triumvirat- Spartacus tour 
Wishbone Ash- 1975
The Strawbs- 1975
Manfred Mann's Earth Band- Bombers tour  
I saw the Strawbs live in NY in 75. Dave Cousins was wearing a white suit and during the Guardian Angel part of the song Ghosts, only red floodlights shown on him. I was in a 'particular state of mind' during the concert and Cousins looked like the devil himself with even the whites of his eyes glowing red.

I don't think a drew a breath until the Morning Glory section. They were absolutely at the top of their form, both musically and vocally, and that's one concert that I will never ever forget.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 13:35
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Well, I have seen quite a few , so my list would be short. 
Tangerine Dream - FBF trio/era
Triumvirat- Spartacus tour 
Wishbone Ash- 1975
The Strawbs- 1975
Manfred Mann's Earth Band- Bombers tour  
I saw the Strawbs live in NY in 75. Dave Cousins was wearing a white suit and during the Guardian Angel part of the song Ghosts, only red floodlights shown on him. I was in a 'particular state of mind' during the concert and Cousins looked like the devil himself with even the whites of his eyes glowing red.

I don't think a drew a breath until the Morning Glory section. They were absolutely at the top of their form, both musically and vocally, and that's one concert that I will never ever forget.

Oh, how I would have loved being there! Hero and Heroine is still my all-time number 1. But I have seen Zep, Hawkwind, KC, Focus, Soft Machine, Genesis, Tull, Gentle Giant, Bob Marley and many others so I will survive.    
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12