Print Page | Close Window

Steve Hackett interview

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Interviews
Forum Description: Original interviews with Prog artists (which are exclusive to Prog Archives)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100023
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 10:06
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Steve Hackett interview
Posted By: RyanElliott
Subject: Steve Hackett interview
Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 08:29
Hi All, 

As part of my dissertation for my final university project, I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to run a short interview with Steve Hackett. The interview focuses on my research question which explored the creative opportunities of writing a song of extended length. You can read the interview here: 

http://edenshadow.net/2014/10/08/interview-with-steve-hackett/" rel="nofollow - http://edenshadow.net/2014/10/08/interview-with-steve-hackett/

Replies:
Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 08:43
you lucky son of a gun!! that must've been fun! i love long songs myself! oh, and great interview too!! Big smile

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: October 19 2014 at 15:21
Congratulations RyanElliott!

And thank you so much Steve Hackett for your languid and delicate classical guitar melodies, they make me feel in heaven...

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 08:39
congrats on the interview--Steve continues to be the nicest guy in the business.Smile

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 10:21
You bagged an interview with Mr. Hackett? Be still my beating heart. He is the nicest guy in the business. He once responded to an e-mail of mine asking when was the next time he'd be coming to Los Angeles.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 11:26
That is an extremely nice interview with an extremely nice man!

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: January 22 2015 at 13:39
The more I learn about Hackett, the more I think Tony Banks is a dick.

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Date Posted: January 22 2015 at 13:55
He's a stuffed shirt, alrighty.

Date Posted: January 22 2015 at 19:17
I'm all in the Hackett camp---as my name says---but sadly I do think Banks is a genius player and composer and it's sad his ego is so big he can't see that Hackett is a genius player and composer too.

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: January 23 2015 at 02:11
Wow, congratulations and thanks for posting it!

Date Posted: January 23 2015 at 10:31
One last thing. When asked at the time about Hackett's departure from Genesis, Collins was heard to quip that there had been been "too many musicians" in the band. A snide comment that didn't wear well with this fan considering the possibilities if Hackett had stayed. After trying to keep alive the post-Gabriel creative zenith provided by 'Tail and 'Wuthering with the muddled And Then There Were Three, the band unfortunately became Collins-centered, and Banks was a ready accomplice in this decision. Rutherford affably just wanted the Genesis Express to keep on a'rollin'. By Duke and beyond, the dream had dwindled to an overriding pop career and greased MOR airplay.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 23 2015 at 10:42
^I think people tend to forget that Hackett wanted out of Genesis and was not contributing enough by saving his material for the Acolyte album, and that the band he  left was only a big cult band at that time.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: January 23 2015 at 11:26
^Haven't heard or read any of that. As a matter of fact, he had offered his material for Please Don't Touch to Genesis, and Collins was said to have outright rejected it. It was "back to school" as Hackett summed up the experience, and during a remixing session for Seconds Out, his frustration with the situation came to a head as he broke a wine glass in his hand by squeezing it too hard, resulting in a career-stalling injury and his decision to leave the others for good.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: January 23 2015 at 17:49
The only accusation of Steve Hackett not have much material came indeed after Voyage of the Acolyte and during writing for Trick of the Tail. What extent that's true or not I dont't know, but he had plenty for Wind & Wuthering. Lack of inclusion of Please Don't Touch in favor of the very dull Wot Gorilla was the last straw for him. ATTWT was similarly dull.

I don't really get the rejection of Hackett's song writing ability that Banks and Rutherford speak about even after the solo career he's had.

Date Posted: January 23 2015 at 18:43
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

The only accusation of Steve Hackett not have much material came indeed after Voyage of the Acolyte and during writing for Trick of the Tail. What extent that's true or not I dont't know, but he had plenty for Wind & Wuthering. Lack of inclusion of Please Don't Touch in favor of the very dull Wot Gorilla was the last straw for him. ATTWT was similarly dull.

I don't really get the rejection of Hackett's song writing ability that Banks and Rutherford speak about even after the solo career he's had.

I think Banks wanted to make sure he was top dog---he was an original member---Banks has also said doesn't know why Hackett left as on W&W he contributed lot's of bits---but of course Tony contributed more---Tony stayed a big force in the group until Collins became a superstar---and then Genesis fame followed the upward trajectory of Phil's career. I actually think Phil liked Steve---they wrote a great song, Blood on the Rooftops together. Think Steve's stuff wasn't as liked as Banks or collins---and was voted down---and Steve's Voyage of A was as big a seller as Genesis at the time---

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 02:54
I don't think there was no hard feelings between all Genesis's members when Hackett left the band. Hackett wanted to play a more fusion kind of prog and be in control more than he was with Genesis.

-------------
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 06:37
Great interview Clap

Posted By: MS studio
Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 18:18
Interesting ;)

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: February 04 2015 at 02:59
A great interview! Congrats!

Date Posted: February 24 2015 at 09:15
What?

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: March 03 2015 at 09:23

Nice little bit about Steve.

It's even nicer that he can discuss some details about music and what it takes to help create it, and how he has figured out which pieces need to be longer and such for a good reason, not just "filler" or merely for the sake of being "progressive".

It's about the music, and I'm not sure that he spends his whole day worrying about it too much, btw! Very nice indeed!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: RyanElliott
Date Posted: May 26 2015 at 08:59
Just seen some of the replies here. Glad so many of you have enjoyed the interview. 

On the point about Banks, he's put some seriously great bits of music down but any interview I've watched him in, he's unfortunately always come across with quite a hapless, obnoxious attitude. 

I managed to meet Steve later in October and thank him in person when he was on the Genesis revisited tour. And as you say he is all about the music. His answers certainly have given me insight and wisdom into approaching and arranging my own pieces of music.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: May 26 2015 at 09:30
Banks studders alot seems hesa nervous wreck, he needs a logoped.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk