Print Page | Close Window

Final demise of CD players?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Tech Talk
Forum Description: Discuss musical instruments, equipment, hi-fi, speakers, vinyl, gadgets,etc.
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100036
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 00:39
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Final demise of CD players?
Posted By: Darious
Subject: Final demise of CD players?
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 04:20
I am expecting that prices for some even great CD players will start falling down any time soon. Suppose you have a decent "dacamp" (an amplifier with a DAC built-in). You go and pick one of them "What Hi-Fi 5-star product of the year", namely less than £100 Sony blu ray player with a FLAC capable USB. You link this blu ray player with your dacamp by the mean of the digital coaxial cable. Stick your USB full of FLACs in, and you can start enjoying, more and more often better than CD quality, music. There's no need for levelling the device as nothing spins inside of your USB. Unless you wish to use your blu ray player for CD playback, which would not be entirely nonsensical idea, actually. What am I trying to say is that highly regarded, inexpensive blu ray players, with their power supplies located outside the box, with built-in FLAC capable USBs, digital coaxial/optical outputs and lack of displays and other outputs are not only a threat to standalone CD players but before all, I would dare to claim, a better option for music playback at all. CD Baby offers now FLACs on titles like Skye by Monarch Trails or even the rarities like L'enigma Della Vita by Logos. You pay less than for CDs and you start enjoying your buys immediately and in a quality that starts to better that of CD. As an additional bonus of using blu ray players instead of CD players, you are able to playback one of them High Fidelity Pure Audio discs, which not only often better SACDs and others in quality, but also significantly in price tag. Selling England by the Pound on blu ray audio disc is only £11 something off Amazon. Now check the prices on SACD for this title and prepare yourself for the shock! CD, SACD and DVD audio are now on their death beds. Long live blu ray audio and high resolution files! The Hi-Fi future does looks bright.

-------------
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)

Replies:
Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 05:13
Interesting take on the subject Darious. It is a brave man who would make predictions on hardware format since quality has never been a deciding factor in any format-war. Personally I do not believe that the price of standalone CD players will change, there will simply be fewer models to choose from as the market contracts - the transition from LP to CD did not result in a drop in price of quality turntables. 

Blu-ray is a Sony proprietary format, its market position is the result of two significant factors that they learnt from Betamax, Audio Minidisc and DAT

1, to ensure success of a new format you needed to control the media recorded onto it, to this end they undertook a rapid series of expansion and acquisition into that industry in the 1980s to become the largest music company in the world and the largest picture/movie/film entertainment company in the world. 

2, to ensure early adoption of a new format you need to flood the market with hardware capable of playing it. To this end they incorporated blu-ray into their best selling product, the Playstation, and sold that hardware for considerably less than it cost them to manufacture, the major contributory factor of that price vs cost disparity was the cost of manufacturing the blu-ray transport. Blu-ray transports and blue laser diodes are still more expensive to produce than DVD or CD transports and red-laser diodes.

Unfortunately the PS3 did not dominate the market, meeting strong competition from the WII and XBox so the transition from DVD to Blu-ray has not been as predicted or expected. Eight years after the launch of Blu-ray DVD is still outselling Blu-ray by something like 4 to 1 - and like CD, that market is contracting while streaming formats continue to grow.

-------------
What?

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 09:16
There will always be an upscale market for Cd players (transports and DACs) as long as people are willing to $hell out the money. Remember, high end turntables never went away during the CD craze.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 10:48
Darious
What do you mean by "High Fidelity Pure Audio discs"? I assume you are referring to SACD and DVD-A, which essentially can hold the same type of resolution like 24/96, whereas a standard CD can only hold 16/44. Both SACD and DVD-A can accommodate 5.1 surround sound for those that want that type of music listening experience. SACD can also hold the standard redbook layer so a traditional CD player can play them, hybrid SACD's have two layers.

I don't have a SACD capable player, main reason is the lack of a catalog of music that I listen to, same goes for the hi-rez files like 24/96 or 24/192 downloads, most of these catalogs are very heavy to Jazz, Pop and Classical music....the only progressive rock I see is Yes, Pink Floyd and maybe Rush just a couple albums of each, hardly a catalog, plus they are very expensive for a non-physical purchase. I did buy Yes CTTE as 24/96 couple yrs ago and really found nothing too exciting about it. I also bought a Diana Krall at 24/192 and that is pretty special, but reading on many music forums these hi-rez downloads are hit and miss, as somebody still has to make that transfer to their servers and well...things can happen that seem to degrade the quality, assuming it was there in the first place.

The demise of the CD player? I struggle with that as turntables never went away and I don't think CD players will go away either, they are inexpensive to produce and the margin return is pretty high I understand.
There actually is a segment of very high-end CDP that is enjoying a robust business right now, people with extra cash to spend will always upgrade. An Oppo BRP are some of the most popular players and sell very, very well, since they are able to play any disc configuration and the reproduction is very high end return for your money.

In general I agree that the whole downloading/streaming process should continue to grow, will it bury the physical CD, I don't think so, CDs are so cheap to make and press and distribute and again the high rate of margin return will keep it around well passed your and my lifetime probably.

Good topic.

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 11:55
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

What do you mean by "High Fidelity Pure Audio discs"? I assume you are referring to SACD and DVD-A, which essentially can hold the same type of resolution like 24/96, whereas a standard CD can only hold 16/44. Both SACD and DVD-A can accommodate 5.1 surround sound for those that want that type of music listening experience. SACD can also hold the standard redbook layer so a traditional CD player can play them, hybrid SACD's have two layers.
Hi José. Yeah, those "high fidelity pure audio discs" are actually blu ray discs, but audio only, with no particular visual content. Very much similar to DVD-As, to be honest.

-------------
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 12:15
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

There will always be an upscale market for Cd players (transports and DACs) as long as people are willing to $hell out the money. Remember, high end turntables never went away during the CD craze.
Yes, the same thing happening with people still shooting film cameras or even hand painting pictures, despite very much able digital cameras being widely available. I'm just wondering what will happen to the mainstream when downloadable high resolution files become significantly cheaper than CDs and seriously affordable and competent blu ray/USB players will become more apparent on the market. I guess that the unavoidable will happen Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 13:53
Originally posted by Darious Darious wrote:

Yes, the same thing happening with people still shooting film cameras or even hand painting pictures, despite very much able digital cameras being widely available. I'm just wondering what will happen to the mainstream when downloadable high resolution files become significantly cheaper than CDs and seriously affordable and competent blu ray/USB players will become more apparent on the market. I guess that the unavoidable will happen Tongue
The same as during the 'Back To Vinyl' trend during the CD craze. Special 'high quality' Cds will still be made for those that still want to hold the physical product. When it comes to business, there is usually little sense involved and specialty companies will make $ome big money.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: October 29 2014 at 07:35

Yes, the same thing happening with people still shooting film cameras or even hand painting pictures, despite very much able digital cameras being widely available. 

Exhibit A: The multipurpose pocket-size electronic device that does it all (the "phone")
Exhibit B: The Cloud. 

These two will render unnecessary a whole range of stand-alone electronic devices, such as digital cameras, music players of any nature, GPD's, calculators etc. 

Being unnecessary doesn't mean heading for imminent extinction. However, since CDs have near zero resale value, offer no sound quality advantage comparing to non-physical lossless files, are nowhere near as cool as LPs and do not age as well as we were lead to believe, I don't see how they can survive either as collectors item or as a niche product for much longer.  

Date Posted: October 29 2014 at 07:49
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Yes, the same thing happening with people still shooting film cameras or even hand painting pictures, despite very much able digital cameras being widely available. 

Exhibit A: The multipurpose pocket-size electronic device that does it all (the "phone")
Exhibit B: The Cloud. 

These two will render unnecessary a whole range of stand-alone electronic devices, such as digital cameras, music players of any nature, GPD's, calculators etc. 

Being unnecessary doesn't mean heading for imminent extinction. However, since CDs have near zero resale value, offer no sound quality advantage comparing to non-physical lossless files, are nowhere near as cool as LPs and do not age as well as we were lead to believe, I don't see how they can survive either as collectors item or as a niche product for much longer.  
I agree.

And I think it is the worse thing that has ever happened in the world of computing because it means that you will no longer own any piece of software or data. You will not be able to buy an album so you will never own it, you will buy a lease that enables you to listen to it. 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: October 29 2014 at 10:14
^ I hope I am dead when this happens........

-------------

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: October 29 2014 at 13:18
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

And I think it is the worse thing that has ever happened in the world of computing because it means that you will no longer own any piece of software or data. You will not be able to buy an album so you will never own it, you will buy a lease that enables you to listen to it. 

I think the digital realm is no more and no less than a microcosm of the greater world. You own nothing, ever. Really. 

Job said, 'Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will go away'. 

I would go a few steps further: you come into the world as a piece of software, loaded into a single cell. Then you continuously loan and return atoms from/to Mother Earth, some of which atoms happen to constitute your body at any given time for as long as you live. And then you die, and all the atoms that you have borrowed, but haven't yet returned are recycled. 

Date Posted: March 08 2015 at 23:28
Some data that might contribute to the thought..."Why make a new CDP?" The online digital age killing the CD.....

http://www.stereophile.com/content/11-years-us-cd-sales" rel="nofollow - http://www.stereophile.com/content/11-years-us-cd-sales

-------------

Posted By: lostrom
Date Posted: June 29 2015 at 22:30
CD will not die in our lifetime.

-------------
lostrom

Posted By: Windhawk
Date Posted: June 29 2015 at 23:20
The CD will live on, but as more and more of a niche product. If not for anything else, than for the artist to make a small run so that they themselves and the people involved will have a tangible, physical product documenting the music they made. But we are now living in the age where it is just as common not to release an album on physical format as it is to do it.

-------------
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: June 30 2015 at 17:42
I don't see it going away anytime soon.  I like my hard copies.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 01 2015 at 10:02
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I don't see it going away anytime soon.  I like my hard copies.

^this

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: July 01 2015 at 10:38
While the CD might become more unpopular relative to other forms of music media, I can't see it going the way of the eight track.

-------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"

Date Posted: July 01 2015 at 12:11
Remember the OP is asking about "CD Players"......not the disc itself.

-------------

Date Posted: July 01 2015 at 12:17

Well...cd's would be useless without the players (unless one plays it through their computers) so I would think some one would continue to make players. 
There's still a market for them albeit a much smaller one.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: July 01 2015 at 15:01
CDs will never be useless.......

-------------

Date Posted: July 01 2015 at 15:05

LOLLOLLOL Best laugh I've had all day! Thanks!

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 19:27
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Well...cd's would be useless without the players (unless one plays it through their computers) so I would think some one would continue to make players. 
There's still a market for them albeit a much smaller one.
I bought a back up CD player just in case. What I'm seeing from Apple now is that they're no longer including CD/DVD drives in their laptops. They're still selling them as external devices, but I think they're just itching to stop doing that too, and that has me a bit alarmed.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 19:39
I listen a lot to CDs in my car. My current vehicle (a Ford C-Max Hybrid) lets me use CDs or MP3s off of a flash drive. I never use the latter. Has anyone yet bought or come across a vehicle in which a USB input is the only option?

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 12:23
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I listen a lot to CDs in my car. My current vehicle (a Ford C-Max Hybrid) lets me use CDs or MP3s off of a flash drive. I never use the latter. Has anyone yet bought or come across a vehicle in which a USB input is the only option?

I either have a mix CD in my deck or plug in my Zune and shuffle play. I am not in my car that often as I ride a vanpool to work, doing my bit to save the world LOL.

Just like I think you can still buy a VHS player, of course these units are no better than a toy, CD Players will always be around. I firmly believe high-end CD Players will continue, in the $1,000+ range, digital audiophiles will pay good money for high-end digital gear. And then you have this one by Esoteric, the K01 runs about $19,000.00. Probably better described as a all Digital media player, discs as well hi-rez files and SACD....pretty sweet.

-------------

Posted By: docall27
Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 12:49
No final demise of CD players, at least not yet.  I have a hard believing anyone under 30 will embrace the technology and so there may an end point = no demand.  With the increasing availability of 24 bit lossless formats, serious audiophiles may go entirely digital.  I still like CDs but I'm over 40.

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 19:46

LOLLOLLOL Best laugh I've had all day! Thanks!
you both are naughty LOL

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 06:10
Originally posted by lostrom lostrom wrote:

CD will not die in our lifetime.

Don't think so myself, despite all the vinyl junkies wishing it to.

Give you an example: last Sunday, I was downtown Brussels (the first day they have that bloody enlarged pedestrian area, which now encompasses my two fave librairies and my two faves record shops >> accessing by car will be tremendously difficult). Anyway, in Caroline music, while buying two CDs, I meet a journalist doing the rounds and collecting feedback about the extended pedestrian zone. I tell him I'm totally against (well yes for the small sideroads, but closing to traffic the main Blvd is catastrophic)... He wants a picture, and I decline... he insisted heavily (saying it was almost mandatory), so I oblige holding the three books and two CDs in front of me... he even let me choose which one I wanted published. Next monday, I read the article (a fifth of a page reserved to moi, if you pleaseApproveWink) relaying more or less faithfully my PoV, but no picture (not complaining, thoughSmile). Then re-reading it, I noticed he said I bought vinyls (not Cds) while the picture has me holding CDs... The Censored a...hole didn't publish the photo, because he's a vinyl junkie, and doesn't want people to think someone can still be buying CDs .. little b*****dLOL

Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

While the CD might become more unpopular relative to other forms of music media, I can't see it going the way of the eight track.

Remember the VCR?? It's getting pretty hard to find a new standalone player/recorder... and when you do, they're low-end quality crap... The only mid-qual is for the multi-use combined unit (I own for about 10 years  a DVD/VHS recorder/player and my GF (still at the age of VHS tapes) had to resort to do the same last year, despite having no use for DVD-r

Well, I still think that like turntables, you'll get a few higher-end players still available, but probably not  available in hpermarkets >> you'll probably have to go to hi-fi specialists....

Ermm But I'll think about having a reserve deck just in case.

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Well, I've recently rented cars that don't even have CD decks anymore...AngryOuch Confused

Sonce the mid- 90's, all of the cars I owned had a CD deck (sometimes replacing the old cassette deck, bu yours truly). I've not bought car stereos in quite a while (and therefore didn't get stolen one either), because during the 00's, the car maker had their own un-transplantable decks of good quality (it's useless to install hi-end sound in a car, a place not made for hi-end audiophiles) to other models of cars...

in the future, this could be a real problemConfused, unless resorting to having a discman (are they still made?Confused) entering the unit... but you'd have to place it somewhere hidden but easily reached (not under a seat) or removed...

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 08:02
cd's are cheap they cost just about the same as one Frappuccino at Starbucks. However jewel cases are crap, they crack and gets scratches plus change colour thus eventually once we all get used to it we will end up with digipacks which one could consider mini gatefolds Wink
Unless another option comes along, they will not demise. Fact is that people like tangible goods and digital mp3's won't make up for that. Big smile

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 03:33
My favourite medium, cd players best not go away just yet!!

I get annoyed with those digipaks where the fit is too tight (oo er matronWink) and you end up tearing the cover - not good.

Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 05:19
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

cd's are cheap they cost just about the same as one Frappuccino at Starbucks. However jewel cases are crap, they crack and gets scratches plus change colour thus eventually once we all get used to it we will end up with digipacks which one could consider mini gatefolds Wink
Unless another option comes along, they will not demise. Fact is that people like tangible goods and digital mp3's won't make up for that. Big smile

Those digipâk are atrocious IMHO...

not only is the carboard terribly exposed to scratchs, but once the center prongs of the tray are broken, you're screwed (unrepairable)... At least with CDs, you can replace the jewel cases

OK, of late, they've made digipaks with a more solid center prong thing.

But for albums I rerally hold dear , I'll splurge for a mini-Lp Cds replica (provided the artwork is reallky worth it)/

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: August 28 2015 at 18:23
Although I prefer vinyl I've got a hell of a lot of CD's and am still buying them about 50/50 Cd/Vinyl. I can't see them going away anytime soon despite the drop in sales.

I've just bought a new CD player this week - had too as my old Arcam finally gave up but I was glad of the excuse to get a new one to be honest. My new Roksan K3 only came out this year so Hi-Fi manufacurer's are still investing in Cd technology despite what many might tell you.

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 08:22
^you spent that much on just a cd player...???
Did you take out a loan?

LOL

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 10:51
...a £1000 CD player does seem excessively expensive in this day-and-age when you can pick up a Cambridge Audio CD player (also designed in UK but made in China) for a tenth of the price. But then £1000 in today's money is equivalent to £550 in 1994 and I certainly paid that kind of sum for a Micromega Stage 1 CD player back then.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 17:11
The Cd player I replaced was and Arcam CD92 and that cost £900 in the late 90's and so i wanted something at least as good as that. While prices have generally gone up on most things i think with Hi-Fi and the advances they've made I think you get more for your money now than say 20 years ago. For an extra couple of 100 I feel I've got a much better Cd player than my last one.

Whilst I certainly don't consider it a cheap player there are plenty out there that cost a lot more. Nain for example have the CDx2 which I believe goes for around £3500. Of course the laws of diminishing returns kick in once you start going that far. I could never afford to go down that road even if I wanted too.

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 17:49
From a technical perspective since all the DACs used in every CD and DVD player currently in production are essentially of the same specification you probably couldn't slide a fag-paper between any of them regardless of how much you paid for them. This is also true of the majority of external DACs (the modern equivalent of the Emperor's New Clothes). What you get for your extra £900 is a better build quality, possibly better mechanics (though that is not a certainty) and perhaps slightly better analogue back-end. 

-------------
What?

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 18:10
Meh. I have a fairly expensive Onkyo CD player I bought 10 years ago and it still works and sounds fine. I think it's the receiver and speakers that matter more.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 00:15
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Although I prefer vinyl I've got a hell of a lot of CD's and am still buying them about 50/50 Cd/Vinyl. I can't see them going away anytime soon despite the drop in sales.

I've just bought a new CD player this week - had too as my old Arcam finally gave up but I was glad of the excuse to get a new one to be honest. My new Roksan K3 only came out this year so Hi-Fi manufacurer's are still investing in Cd technology despite what many might tell you.

Nice Nightfly! I have only read great things about this Roksan K3. The balanced XLR digital output sounds really interesting....Would like to read your impressions once you have some hours on it.

Have fun!

-------------

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 01:49

From a technical perspective since all the DACs used in every CD and DVD player currently in production are essentially of the same specification you probably couldn't slide a fag-paper between any of them regardless of how much you paid for them. This is also true of the majority of external DACs (the modern equivalent of the Emperor's New Clothes). What you get for your extra £900 is a better build quality, possibly better mechanics (though that is not a certainty) and perhaps slightly better analogue back-end. 

I was looking to buy a new portable DVD player (you know, the kind to occupy kids in the car), because my previous one fell and got broken, but the choice has really dwindled and no household name companies (Sony, Panasonic, Phillips, etc..) care to put out such readers anymore. It's all brandnames I'd never heard before, and that I've totally forgotten a few months later
It seems that everything has become cheap quality compared to what I'd bought some 10 nyears back.

Basically all available models today featire one of two disc-reading mechanism, both of them having the sliding laserhead pathway mechanics open, whereas previously this pathway was closed, and no dust could get inside that part of the unit. So far, I've not replaced my old broken one, because of this "cheapness".

Anyways, I'd have to imagine that the disc-spinning/reading mechanism inside hi-fi CD player are probably available in two or three different models and quality (either from Phillips or Sony design)

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 03:39
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Anyways, I'd have to imagine that the disc-spinning/reading mechanism inside hi-fi CD player are probably available in two or three different models and quality (either from Phillips or Sony design)
That was the case ten years ago because those two companies jointly owned the patents for optical discs and transport mechanisms, not sure what the situation is now as the patents expired back in 2009. I suspect that most brand-named manufacturers (Aiwa, Akai, NAD, Onkyo, Technics, etc.) continue to use either Philips or Sony products because neither of those companies are stupid enough to lose a main revenue stream just because a patent expired. If a player manufacturer doesn't mention the design of the transport specifically in their promotional literature then it's likely that they would have bought-in the mechanism rather than designed and manufactured it themselves - if you are going to the expense of manufacturing your own mechanism then you're going to make a big song and dance about it.

As the market dwindles there is little incentive for other manufacturers to get into the game. With all products like this (DAC chips, TFT screens, Hard-drives, etc.) the market is dominated by one or two prime manufacturers

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 04:18

Nice Nightfly! I have only read great things about this Roksan K3. The balanced XLR digital output sounds really interesting....Would like to read your impressions once you have some hours on it.

Have fun!

Yes, sounds really great though haven't had chance to put it through its paces yet. I choose it for its tight and powerful bass and detailed overall sound having compared it back to back with players from Naim, Audio Analogue, Rega and Unico (Unison Research). The interesting thing about the Unico which I almost went for was it uses valves which gave it a really warm almost vinyl like sound. The sound wasn't as tight though overall which is why I went for the Roksan though it was a lovely sounding player.

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 16:10

Have fun!

Yes, sounds really great though haven't had chance to put it through its paces yet. I choose it for its tight and powerful bass and detailed overall sound having compared it back to back with players from Naim, Audio Analogue, Rega and Unico (Unison Research). The interesting thing about the Unico which I almost went for was it uses valves which gave it a really warm almost vinyl like sound. The sound wasn't as tight though overall which is why I went for the Roksan though it was a lovely sounding player.

I have never been a Rega CDP fan, they seem to have a lot of issues with their drives and optical pickups, plus I think Rega products in general are over priced.
Naim is excellent gear......The trick with valve CDP is you need to probably roll in different vales to find the best sound, so there is some tweaking you can do to improve the SQ. I know cables can be considered snake oil, but you might try that tweak once you find the Roksan has settled in. Looks like the DAC supports up to 24bit/192kHz resolution....main reason I chose the player I have.

Congrats

-------------

Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 04:43

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

That was the case ten years ago because those two companies jointly owned the patents for optical discs and transport mechanisms, not sure what the situation is now as the patents expired back in 2009. I suspect that most brand-named manufacturers (Aiwa, Akai, NAD, Onkyo, Technics, etc.) continue to use either Philips or Sony products because neither of those companies are stupid enough to lose a main revenue stream just because a patent expired. If a player manufacturer doesn't mention the design of the transport specifically in their promotional literature then it's likely that they would have bought-in the mechanism rather than designed and manufactured it themselves - if you are going to the expense of manufacturing your own mechanism then you're going to make a big song and dance about it.

As the market dwindles there is little incentive for other manufacturers to get into the game. With all products like this (DAC chips, TFT screens, Hard-drives, etc.) the market is dominated by one or two prime manufacturers

That was more or less my train of thought....Smile

Even Blue-Rays were somewhat of a disappointtment in terms of sales (both discs and readers), so who'd risk starting a manufacturing plants of a more or less dying technology that has seen its better days over a decade ago.

Date Posted: November 24 2015 at 20:48

since quality has never been a deciding factor in any format-war.

Say no more Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: November 24 2015 at 20:53
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

since quality has never been a deciding factor in any format-war.

Say no more Tongue

Wait...shouldn't they be playing "Stairway to Heaven" backwards on the turntable?

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: November 24 2015 at 21:01
problemI think you have hit on the crux of the problem.  Just remember...only an expert can deal with the problem...

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk