Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100043
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 02:42
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Most Influential
Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Subject: The Most Influential
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 12:55
Here's 25 prog&progrelated artists I could think of that has had significant influence on other bands (inspired by that other thread). Among these, who do you think has influenced the most artists and bands (of any kind)? I know about 20 of these don't stand a chance, but they're included here to reflect my opinion.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 13:19
I'd say KC, then Genesis and Yes.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 13:35
Would love to say Henry Cow or Univers Zero Smile

As is open to all bands not just prog it has to be Kraftwerk.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: 33rpm
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 13:52
From the list King Crimson. If you count Proto-Prog it would be The Beatles.

-------------
Vinyl just sounds better!!

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 15:13
commerciality (unfortunately) = more notability, that of which Pink Floyd has got the most of, so ill give them my vote, even over Yes, who are also very influential in their own right.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 15:17
Guess who.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 15:26
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Guess who.
I've only heard American Woman.

-------------

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 15:42
I have to go for interpreting "most influential" in terms of broader audience impact. In this context, Pink Floyd raises to the top.

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 16:10
ELP

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 16:36
Transatlantic. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Luna
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 16:48
Miles Davis

King Crimson
Can
Genesis

Metallica
Tangerine Dream

-------------
https://aprilmaymarch.bandcamp.com/track/the-badger" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 17:33
I could just pick a favorite here, but if I'm honest, I don't even know how I would begin to quantify the influence each of these artists has had, let alone compare them. 

But rather than simply offer that curmudgeonly answer and walk away, since it is a good question, I will respectfully say this.

FUGG IF I KNOW

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 17:42
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

ELP
Clap

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 17:56
"of any kind..." I would say Rush has influenced more bands over all, of the past 25+ yrs. If you dig hard enough most will include Pink Floyd, who may be #1, but I just think today's bands might say Rush first....and then add Pink Floyd and probably Yes.

I would not be surprised if Miles Davis is way up there too..

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 18:03
David Bowie, the Doors, Pink Floyd, Bo Hansson (in Sweden)

-------------

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 20:22
Originally posted by tboyd1802 tboyd1802 wrote:

I have to go for interpreting "most influential" in terms of broader audience impact. In this context, Pink Floyd raises to the top.
this

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 20:29
Miles by miles (sorry).

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 20:39
Yeah, to me Miles is the clear winner here.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 22:13
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

"of any kind..." I would say Rush has influenced more bands over all, of the past 25+ yrs. If you dig hard enough most will include Pink Floyd, who may be #1, but I just think today's bands might say Rush first....and then add Pink Floyd and probably Yes.

I would not be surprised if Miles Davis is way up there too..

Rush has said many time Yes was their big influence ---and I think that it begins Yes.Wink

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 22:22
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Transatlantic. 

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 23:42
Davis does seem the most obvious.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 02:36
Rush - they influenced bans/artists from prog to metal to death metal to all genres

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 03:42
Genesis just over KC 

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 06:02
Kraftwerk of course

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 06:25
How are Genesis winning this poll? It's about influence on other bands and artists - regardless of the prog tag. Most musicians, that aren't prog fans, have no clue about 70s Genesis, and while the stuff they dished out in the 80s was successful (and pretty damn good), I fail to see how influential it really was on subsequent generations of music makers.
Kraftwerk and Miles were and still are vastly more influential on not just one scene but dozens, literally. The music world doesn't always stop at the prog gates - sometimes we tend to forget that in here amongst the Rush and Genesis fumes.   

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 07:41
Pink Floyd

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 08:41
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I could just pick a favorite here, but if I'm honest, I don't even know how I would begin to quantify the influence each of these artists has had, let alone compare them. 

But rather than simply offer that curmudgeonly answer and walk away, since it is a good question, I will respectfully say this.

FUGG IF I KNOW

This !

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 08:47
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

ELP
Clap

OK name me a band that were influenced by ELP (apart from T********t).

Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 08:48
^Le Orme and Triumvirat instantly spring to mind.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 08:54
CAN for me.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 08:58
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

How are Genesis winning this poll? It's about influence on other bands and artists - regardless of the prog tag. Most musicians, that aren't prog fans, have no clue about 70s Genesis, and while the stuff they dished out in the 80s was successful (and pretty damn good), I fail to see how influential it really was on subsequent generations of music makers.
Kraftwerk and Miles were and still are vastly more influential on not just one scene but dozens, literally. The music world doesn't always stop at the prog gates - sometimes we tend to forget that in here amongst the Rush and Genesis fumes.   

^This....

But are we talking about influence back in the day or from the 80's on...?

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 09:01
I think we're talking all of that. Influence on past, subsequent and modern acts. 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 09:02

Fair enough, I'm not really aware of Le Orme but Triumvirat aren't allowed. My point was I can't think of many bands that mixed up classical music and rock in a 3 piece keyboards dominated format like ELP.

Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 09:08
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Fair enough, I'm not really aware of Le Orme but Triumvirat aren't allowed. My point was I can't think of many bands that mixed up classical music and rock in a 3 piece keyboards dominated format like ELP.

Alright, I see. 
How about Atomic Rooster then? While still sporting their own sound, I still hear a lot of influence from Emerson in Vincent Crane's playing. (then again that's probably down to the period with The Nice more than ELP now that I think of it)

Also, Triumvirat aren't allowed?LOLTongue

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 09:20

I think we're talking all of that. Influence on past, subsequent and modern acts. 

In that case I'll say equal parts KC, Genesis, and Floyd....they all have influenced a large number of bands over the years both past and present. I don't hear as much Yes influence in bands as those three.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 09:33

Alright, I see. 
How about Atomic Rooster then? While still sporting their own sound, I still hear a lot of influence from Emerson in Vincent Crane's playing. (then again that's probably down to the period with The Nice more than ELP now that I think of it)

Also, Triumvirat aren't allowed?LOLTongue

Only because I'm quoting presdoug and I knew he'd mention them straight away Wink (and I'm aware of their ELP influence)

Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 11:03
I thought of another one (as a matter of fact I'm listening to their newest right now), Elephant9 from Norway.
These guys sound like ELP on some terrifying drug. They're also normally a three piece band with organs, drums and bass. This new one called Atlantis does feature one of my favourite modern guitarist in Reine Fiske though, but the heart of their sound still remains largely unchanged.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 11:07
I think we must categorize this. 
A - In Progressive Rock : 1- Genesis 2- KC 3- Yes 4- Rush 5- Pink Floyd 6- ELP
B - In Rock genre : Pink Floyd and Rush
C - In Metal genre : Metallica and DT
D - In General : Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream and Metallica and Pink Floyd

I think most influential artist of Prog Rock is Genesis. You can see that very clear. If we zoom to quality of Prog bands that influenced by Genesis you can see bands like : Citizen Cain - Simon Says - 5 bridges - The Watch - Agents of Mercy - Flower Kings - Glass Hammer (not all albums of them ) - Transatlantic and more. Some of these bands can be influential for other bands like The Flower Kings.
And there are too many "Genesis Clone" bands that I don't want to talk about them. I know ELP and KC and RUSH and Yes and PF and ... are influential in "Prog Rock" but I can't Ignore Genesis affect in this genre of music. Genesis is Icon of many of Symphonic and Neo Prog great bands.

Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 11:45

Alright, I see. 
How about Atomic Rooster then? While still sporting their own sound, I still hear a lot of influence from Emerson in Vincent Crane's playing.

I thought of another one (as a matter of fact I'm listening to their newest right now), Elephant9 from Norway.
These guys sound like ELP on some terrifying drug.

I like both bands a lot but I don't really hear any ELP in their stuff.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 11:47
Maybe it's just me then. I do hear distinct ELP influences at play in both bands, although they never really sound like them, if you catch my drift.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 12:51

Maybe it's just me then. I do hear distinct ELP influences at play in both bands, although they never really sound like them, if you catch my drift.

I always found Cranes keyboard work heavier,more built on menace, and less elaborate  that Emerson's and given that he essential entered the music scene in 67 with The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown I'd find it surprising if he was influenced by The Nice. Maybe they just have some elements of play that are similar.

I've always thought of Elephant9 as more of a heavy jazz fusion power trio than a Classical & Rock influenced band  like ELP but listening to Dodovoodoo again you may be right though it does sound a lot more fuzz keyboards than I'm used to with Emerson. Good spot.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 13:46
Some other bands strongly influenced by ELP are Latte e Miele, Triade and the latter period of The Trip.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 13:52

Some other bands strongly influenced by ELP are Latte e Miele, Triade and the latter period of The Trip.

also Par Lindh Project (Sweden) and Mastermind (USA) 

but apart from that what else have the Romans ever done for usWink

Posted By: JeanFrame
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 14:38
CLOUDS - Prog was a myriad of ideas that came together rather than any one source, but if any band could be said to be a major influence on prog itself, it would be 1-2-3 (Clouds)

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 15:34
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

But at least Magma have had some influence...
For the most influential I think it's question of making the count, but surely Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson (today more than before), and don't forget Emerson Lake and Palmer, especially in Eastern Europe.
The strange thing with Zappa is that he has surely influenced many artists, but very few proggers for what I know.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 16:22

ELP
Clap

OK name me a band that were influenced by ELP (apart from T********t).

every damn prog band that showcases keyboards as a lead instrument.

However the OP subtly didn't make  the poll most influential IN prog.. that is a ELP no brainer. You don't have to sound like a group to be influenced by it. That is the difference between amateur analysis and really understanding what was going on. ELP is far away the most influential group in prog.

In terms of wider musicical influence as I read the OP's question. It is Floyd no doubt.

As far as Genesis... hahaha.  It is not a popularity vote. It is nice to see that things haven't changed here in all these years, the Genesis fans have never failed to mistake modern popularity for historical revelevance. There is a reason they are known as a pop group... not a prog group.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 16:43
Whoa!  I think that I've seen a Ghost (Rider).

-------------

Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 17:19
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I wish. Perhaps she will soon come back. She was always the better, and definitely the kinder and better looking,  of the two-headed monster we were.

It is wonderful to see  you Scott.  I hope all is has been well with you. There were a handful of PA's friends that we didn't keep up with as we made the FB jump. You were definitely one of them. Sorely missed. We both really enjoyed talking and shooting the sh*t with you.

btw. We celebrated 8 years together yesterday.  All because of this goddamned site haha.

To emphasize my point on the last post.  We went to the NJ Proghouse last weekend, and saw a bunch of neat bands. One (whose name escapes me as I was in the process of running up a nearly 200 dollar bar tab hahahha) who featured Tom Brislin on keyboards. Read the comments on that performance.  It really didn't take off, it was basic neo-prog song based stuff that was good.. but.. things took off when Brislin was 'unleashed'.  That my friends is what prog is about, it is what prog fans want and expect... to see keyboardists not sit back and chomp down chords but solo and show us what they can do. That is one of the main aspects of prog, the bringing forward of the keyboardist into the spotlight, and that my friends is exactly what ELP brought to Prog. That and the standard for ENSEMBLE virtuosity we expect from prog bands. Prog owes that to ELP. Save us the Genesis crap... the perfect cure for insomnia.  That is definitely not what prog is about hahha

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 17:32
^ Cool to see you around Micky

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 19:21
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I wish. Perhaps she will soon come back. She was always the better, and definitely the kinder and better looking,  of the two-headed monster we were.

It is wonderful to see  you Scott.  I hope all is has been well with you. There were a handful of PA's friends that we didn't keep up with as we made the FB jump. You were definitely one of them. Sorely missed. We both really enjoyed talking and shooting the sh*t with you.

btw. We celebrated 8 years together yesterday.  All because of this goddamned site haha.

To emphasize my point on the last post.  We went to the NJ Proghouse last weekend, and saw a bunch of neat bands. One (whose name escapes me as I was in the process of running up a nearly 200 dollar bar tab hahahha) who featured Tom Brislin on keyboards. Read the comments on that performance.  It really didn't take off, it was basic neo-prog song based stuff that was good.. but.. things took off when Brislin was 'unleashed'.  That my friends is what prog is about, it is what prog fans want and expect... to see keyboardists not sit back and chomp down chords but solo and show us what they can do. That is one of the main aspects of prog, the bringing forward of the keyboardist into the spotlight, and that my friends is exactly what ELP brought to Prog. That and the standard for ENSEMBLE virtuosity we expect from prog bands. Prog owes that to ELP. Save us the Genesis crap... the perfect cure for insomnia.  That is definitely not what prog is about hahha

Just wanted to take my hat off to your words about the most fantastic prog band I ever listened to: ELP!

And thank you so much for one more great reference that I just happen to read here in the PA Forum: Tom Brislin! God Damned ! How I wish I was there at that NJ Proghouse !...

-------------

Posted By: Luna
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 20:02

Yep. This poll just confirms my belief that people on this site will vote Genesis on a poll regardless of the title. It's annoying to say the least.

-------------
https://aprilmaymarch.bandcamp.com/track/the-badger" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 20:24
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

But at least Magma have had some influence...
For the most influential I think it's question of making the count, but surely Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson (today more than before), and don't forget Emerson Lake and Palmer, especially in Eastern Europe.
The strange thing with Zappa is that he has surely influenced many artists, but very few proggers for what I know.

When you invent your own genre then I guess you've had some influence. I'd go with a top 5 of

Kraftwerk
Miles Davis
Pink Floyd
Frank Zappa
CAN

-------------
Ian

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 20:29
Voted Floyd, but didn't notice that there was also Kraftwerk and Miles, who do beat even Floyd in terms of influence imo.  I guess Coltrane and Brubeck aren't in the poll but I have noticed near-outright quotations from their tracks at times in prog compositions.  Love Supreme is paraphrased in Squarer for Maud, for instance.

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 01:31
Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

Yep. This poll just confirms my belief that people on this site will vote Genesis on a poll regardless of the title. It's annoying to say the least.

Funny thing I voted Genesis but it was a genuine answer. I think people know that I am not beholden to Genesis but I hear their ideas in so many modern prog bands its really hard to ignore their influence on the prog scene.

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 05:57
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Funny thing I voted Genesis but it was a genuine answer. I think people know that I am not beholden to Genesis but I hear their ideas in so many modern prog bands its really hard to ignore their influence on the prog scene.

Yeah but the OP specified any kind of music, not just prog.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 06:04

You're of course entitled to your opinion, but for influence on prog in particular I would have selected either Crimson or Floyd over Genesis.

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 10:45
I can understand KC and Genesis as big influences, but who exactly did Floyd influence except for early Mostly Autumn and Floyd cover bands? And please don't tell me Porcupine Tree because I can't hear it.

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:01
Bands with Floyd influences?
Some featured here on PA:
Marillion, Eloy, IQ, Pendragon, Camel, Pulsar, The Future Kings Of England, Radiohead, Muse, Mew, Siddhartha (Turkish band), Odyssice, Pineapple Thief, Airbag, Alan Parson Project, Far East Family Band, Alcest, Tangerine Dream, Setna, Anathema, Astra, Big Big Train, Phideaux, Crippled Black Phoenix and the list is literally endless. 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:06

Bands with Floyd influences?
Some featured here on PA:
Marillion, Eloy, IQ, Pendragon, Camel, Pulsar, The Future Kings Of England, Radiohead, Muse, Mew, Siddhartha (Turkish band), Odyssice, Pineapple Thief, Airbag, Alan Parson Project, Far East Family Band, Alcest, Tangerine Dream, Setna, Anathema, Astra, Big Big Train, Phideaux, Crippled Black Phoenix and the list is literally endless. 

Ok, I'll go with Radiohead and Camel as obvious. TD I feel was self evolving but you could make a case for them. The rest I feel have just a passing influence with other bands that are more prominent.

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:08
Airbag have very obvious Floydian soundscapes, and when they then slap a Gilmour solo on the piece, it gets to be even more in your face methinks.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:21

I can understand KC and Genesis as big influences, but who exactly did Floyd influence except for early Mostly Autumn and Floyd cover bands? And please don't tell me Porcupine Tree because I can't hear it.
Apart from Guldbamsen's list, Karnataka was another I can readily think off.  I am surprised, to be honest, that such a question could be asked in the first place because Gilmour is easily one of the most popular 'sources' when any rock guitarist of the 80s and onwards wants to play a slow, shimmering electric guitar solo.  Almost every 'moving', 'haunting' slow guitar lead in the 80s/modern era is basically Gilmour, whether or not fans of the bands in question wish to acknowledge it.  So, even in a band like Dream Theater, which may not be heavily influenced by Floyd overall, some of Petrucci's slow guitar passages certainly evoke Floyd. Especially so in Octavarium but there are plenty of other examples.  Spirit Carries On is so heavily based on Wall-era Floyd.  Some slow leads of PoS too have evoked Gilmour for me. 

Moving to more crossover bands, Supertramp are undeniably influenced by Floyd.  Yes, they are also influenced by other great rock bands but that's not the point.  Floyd are to rock as Miles standards are to jazz, they are all over the place, creeping into the output of many bands one way or the other.  Queensryche's Silent Lucidity is a definite Floyd-inspired case.  Especially the "Hush now don't you cry" verse evokes Mother.  In the case of bands not listed on PA, Tears for Fears were surely influenced by Floyd.  I could literally go on and on.    And this is only with respect to their more popular Gilmour/Waters 70s epoch.  Piper..and Saucerful...are also immensely influential albums, especially so on the Krautrock sub genre of prog.  Doors was also great source material but I would be surprised if Floyd weren't a source. Ah, remembered one more. What about Eloy's Ocean album?  When I heard it last, which is so long ago that I can no longer recall vividly,  I found it almost too Floyd-like to persist. 

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:28
^Nice post.

It also very eloquently, perhaps unintentionally, describes the difference between 'influence' and 'copycatting' - the latter often mistaken for the former. It is possible for a band to have Floyd influences without ever sounding like Floyd.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:30

^Nice post.

It also very eloquently, perhaps unintentionally, describes the difference between 'influence' and 'copycatting' - the latter often mistaken for the former. It is possible for a band to have Floyd influences without ever sounding like Floyd.

Couldn't agree more.

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:38
^Nice post, I agree. But I have worked with many guitarists over the years who owe at least part of their style and tone to Gilmour and their band's share none of Floyds attributes. Case in point, Dream Theater. Petrucci can also copy styles and tones from guitarists as diverse as Brian May and actually has done a May copy on the Six Degrees album. Now, does Dream Theater sound like Queen because Petrucci can imitate Brian May?

-------------

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 12:54

Airbag have very obvious Floydian soundscapes, and when they then slap a Gilmour solo on the piece, it gets to be even more in your face methinks.

That band is hilarious for how obvious they want to sound like PF. Cringe-worthy. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 15:11
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

You're of course entitled to your opinion, but for influence on prog in particular I would have selected either Crimson or Floyd over Genesis.

Coincidentally I just happened to listen to some Astra this morning and noticed a strong KC influence which hadn't occurred to me previously.Thing is I don't always recognise it and KC is perhaps a little harder to pick up on I suppose.

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 15:13
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Apart from Guldbamsen's list, Karnataka was another I can readily think off.  I am surprised, to be honest, that such a question could be asked in the first place because Gilmour is easily one of the most popular 'sources' when any rock guitarist of the 80s and onwards wants to play a slow, shimmering electric guitar solo.  Almost every 'moving', 'haunting' slow guitar lead in the 80s/modern era is basically Gilmour, whether or not fans of the bands in question wish to acknowledge it.  So, even in a band like Dream Theater, which may not be heavily influenced by Floyd overall, some of Petrucci's slow guitar passages certainly evoke Floyd. Especially so in Octavarium but there are plenty of other examples.  Spirit Carries On is so heavily based on Wall-era Floyd.  Some slow leads of PoS too have evoked Gilmour for me. 

Moving to more crossover bands, Supertramp are undeniably influenced by Floyd.  Yes, they are also influenced by other great rock bands but that's not the point.  Floyd are to rock as Miles standards are to jazz, they are all over the place, creeping into the output of many bands one way or the other.  Queensryche's Silent Lucidity is a definite Floyd-inspired case.  Especially the "Hush now don't you cry" verse evokes Mother.  In the case of bands not listed on PA, Tears for Fears were surely influenced by Floyd.  I could literally go on and on.    And this is only with respect to their more popular Gilmour/Waters 70s epoch.  Piper..and Saucerful...are also immensely influential albums, especially so on the Krautrock sub genre of prog.  Doors was also great source material but I would be surprised if Floyd weren't a source. Ah, remembered one more. What about Eloy's Ocean album?  When I heard it last, which is so long ago that I can no longer recall vividly,  I found it almost too Floyd-like to persist. 

Eloy were indeed very Floydian sounding right through to Planets and Time To Turn. Much better drums and bass thoughWink

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 15:34
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

That band is hilarious for how obvious they want to sound like PF. Cringe-worthy. 
I thought they were a tribute band. I guess they moved up a bit. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 18:14
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

^ Cool to see you around Micky

Heart

And thank you so much for one more great reference that I just happen to read here in the PA Forum: Tom Brislin! God Damned ! How I wish I was there at that NJ Proghouse !...

He's been there the last two years, and absolute sweetheart of a man and an amazing talent.  I'm sure he'll be back next year. If you can make it, look for me (the strangely out place 'beast' hanging with a ravishing Italian beauty) and I'll buy first round and by the time we're finished we'll serenade Necromonkey with calls for an ELP encore hahah

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 18:59

He's been there the last two years, and absolute sweetheart of a man and an amazing talent.  I'm sure he'll be back next year. If you can make it, look for me (the strangely out place 'beast' hanging with a ravishing Italian beauty) and I'll buy first round and by the time we're finished we'll serenade Necromonkey with calls for an ELP encore hahah

Thank you again micky, and for sure it would be a great pleasure to meet you, I'll be there! Oh yeah, I will be there!

P.S.: Necromonkey - don't know this song, I will have to improvise hahahah...

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 19:11

Thank you again micky, and for sure it would be a great pleasure to meet you, I'll be there! Oh yeah, I will be there!

awesome!!  Keep an eye out for tickets and reserve the hotel early,  I suspect next year will near a full house. Everyone (bands and people like us from out of town) stays at the same hotel so that is a a nice social aspect but it is close to NYC and the freeway so can book up quickly.

As far as Necromonkey. A band.  Awesome stuff man.  Let me plug my wife again. She loves that!!

http://progmistress.com/2014/05/07/necromonkey-a-glimpse-of-possible-endings-2014/" rel="nofollow - http://progmistress.com/2014/05/07/necromonkey-a-glimpse-of-possible-endings-2014/

You'll love them. We saw them at Progday, close enough it seemed to reach out and touch them as they played. Very intimate setting and the NJ Proghouse is perhaps even moreso.  Plus it is a good excuse to meet Mathias if you have not. Especially if one isn't particularly shy. Or even if, as I am in real life.  Another really sweet and approachable person to shoot the bull with. It is amazing and great to see how genuinely nice and approachable these musicians are. Raff and I have actually become quite close to a number we first met online then cemented in face to face.

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 19:40

awesome!!  Keep an eye out for tickets and reserve the hotel early,  I suspect next year will near a full house. Everyone (bands and people like us from out of town) stays at the same hotel so that is a a nice social aspect but it is close to NYC and the freeway so can book up quickly.

As far as Necromonkey. A band.  Awesome stuff man.  Let me plug my wife again. She loves that!!

http://progmistress.com/2014/05/07/necromonkey-a-glimpse-of-possible-endings-2014/" rel="nofollow - http://progmistress.com/2014/05/07/necromonkey-a-glimpse-of-possible-endings-2014/

You'll love them. We saw them at Progday, close enough it seemed to reach out and touch them as they played. Very intimate setting and the NJ Proghouse is perhaps even moreso.  Plus it is a good excuse to meet Mathias if you have not. Especially if one isn't particularly shy. Or even if, as I am in real life.  Another really sweet and approachable person to shoot the bull with. It is amazing and great to see how genuinely nice and approachable these musicians are. Raff and I have actually become quite close to a number we first met online then cemented in face to face.

It would be awesome indeed! I'm already fancing just one year earlier... well so I hope because of my 'holy' vacations next year, it would be fantastic!, btw it would be my very first time there, in NJ and NYC, really nice to know the details micky.

Thanks for the link! I'll check their music out as soon as I can, glad to know that about Mathias, it speaks great for a musician and I think it should always be an inherent characteristic of the GREAT musicians.

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 19:51
I'll be around, unless I buy it of course or Raff finally gets tired of my bullsh*t and sticks with that knife she always threatens me with (gotta love Italians!) haha, but the organizers are very good about putting out the information. It has been the Columbus Day weekend the last two years and am quite sure it will be again next year.

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 21:11

^Nice post, I agree. But I have worked with many guitarists over the years who owe at least part of their style and tone to Gilmour and their band's share none of Floyds attributes. Case in point, Dream Theater. Petrucci can also copy styles and tones from guitarists as diverse as Brian May and actually has done a May copy on the Six Degrees album. Now, does Dream Theater sound like Queen because Petrucci can imitate Brian May?

Duh, Gilmour IS a vital part of Floyd.  I don't get your logic.  Whatever Gilmour did on his solo albums also flows from his work with Floyd, so they are not mutually exclusive. I haven't checked that May influence on Petrucci but I wouldn't rule out Queen as an influence on DT.  DT have covered both Queen and Floyd, apart from DP, Rainbow, Iron Maiden.  I think that is a good indication of whether or not those are among their influences.  I wouldn't doubt that those bands influenced them. Surely, some of the greatest 70s rock bands influenced a modern metal band that carried on in the ambitious 70s vein of rock (as opposed to punk minimalism)?

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: October 23 2014 at 01:05
Influence... I'd say KC have more influence on artists (Indukti, Masfel spring to my mind but there are many more). Floyd influenced artists (to the point of near copying (Mostly Autumn and another whose name I forget but tried reconstituting Echoes slavishly) and of course, the the tribute bands), slightly more appropriately there is The Orb. The Beatles have their influence as well for song writing detail and laying the groundwork for ELO to complete but in their own way.

I do like it when influence has had it's impression but artists such as Riverside take things to a more original level. Something many bands find hard with a Zeppelin influence - it's either Zeppelin-ish or not. Led Zep cornered their market while The Beatles opened theirs up...

P.S. Re the P Tree thing - it's based around Sky Moves Sideways. He said as PF were no longer doing albums like that (WYWH) he would. And did. And, apparently, regretted it. Perhaps their might be an artistic parallel between Sunday Of Life and Piper; mainly based on unique songs based around lyricists whose impact with either band was limited to each others' early days only.

Date Posted: October 23 2014 at 11:35

Duh, Gilmour IS a vital part of Floyd.  I don't get your logic.  Whatever Gilmour did on his solo albums also flows from his work with Floyd, so they are not mutually exclusive. I haven't checked that May influence on Petrucci but I wouldn't rule out Queen as an influence on DT.  DT have covered both Queen and Floyd, apart from DP, Rainbow, Iron Maiden.  I think that is a good indication of whether or not those are among their influences.  I wouldn't doubt that those bands influenced them. Surely, some of the greatest 70s rock bands influenced a modern metal band that carried on in the ambitious 70s vein of rock (as opposed to punk minimalism)?
Duh, to you too my friend. If Floyd has one indelible influence on Progressive Music it's that it got people in the early seventies that never listened to other prog groups to open up and start listening to other prog groups like KC and Yes. That is their most important influence as far as I'm concerned. I have a pretty good ear for indentifying influences and copies and I do not listen to early Marillion and think 'oh, that's Floyd'. When I listen to Rothery's early guitar leads, then I think 'oh, Gilmour'. It's as simple as that. Listen to some of your favorite prog bands and let me know if you have musical flash backs to albums like Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH, Animals or the Wall. I have all the time in the world.

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2014 at 11:44
^^^  So when you hear the riffs of Slayer's Black Magic, do you say Sabbath-like or just Iommi-like?  Come on, it makes no sense to compartmentalise it like that when Gilmour was one of the important members of the band and as the guitarist and one of its lead singers, a defining component of their sound and style.  Actually I did provide examples of so called musical flashbacks, even naming specific tracks, if you cared at all to read.  But be that as it may, you cannot separate Gilmour's influence as a guitarist from that of Floyd because he found his own voice with Floyd in the first place.  Had he already been a star in his right and walked in for a few albums to make a mark, it would be a different issue.  But Gilmour was as much Floyd as Waters, Wright or Mason.  That the name Gilmour rather than Floyd comes to your mind is only a mark of his popularity.  But his popularity, clearly, was only attained as a part of a larger outfit.  Outside of it, he wasn't nearly as influential.  

Date Posted: October 23 2014 at 11:52
^Negative. I will state again that there are many  guitarists that I know who have obvious influences that does not reflect on their band's music. That's the whole point. Band's generally want to have their own originality. The exception to this was the Neo onslaught of the mid eighties and there are no Neo prog band's that I feel are worth the time of day except for Marillion who was able to transcend their Genesis cloning.

You are free to experience music your way and I'm free to experience it my way and I've never been the worse for it.

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2014 at 20:24

I'll be around, unless I buy it of course or Raff finally gets tired of my bullsh*t and sticks with that knife she always threatens me with (gotta love Italians!) haha, but the organizers are very good about putting out the information. It has been the Columbus Day weekend the last two years and am quite sure it will be again next year.

Shocked Mamma mia... hahah , I know pretty well what you are talking about, my mother is italian's daughter.Embarrassed 

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2014 at 21:46

^Negative. I will state again that there are many  guitarists that I know who have obvious influences that does not reflect on their band's music. That's the whole point. Band's generally want to have their own originality. The exception to this was the Neo onslaught of the mid eighties and there are no Neo prog band's that I feel are worth the time of day except for Marillion who was able to transcend their Genesis cloning.

You are free to experience music your way and I'm free to experience it my way and I've never been the worse for it.

Oh yes, each to his own and all that.  Fine.  What I don't get is just because Mr.Steve doesn't think so, one of the most influential bands in rock music did not influence more than a couple of bands?  The band with some of the most iconic rock albums does not have enough originality for other bands to derive from it?  You have to really make a stronger case than that to back up your statement before you clam up.  

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 24 2014 at 00:46
Jimi, of course.

-------------

Date Posted: October 24 2014 at 08:46

Oh yes, each to his own and all that.  Fine.  What I don't get is just because Mr.Steve doesn't think so, one of the most influential bands in rock music did not influence more than a couple of bands?  The band with some of the most iconic rock albums does not have enough originality for other bands to derive from it?  You have to really make a stronger case than that to back up your statement before you clam up.  
Here's clue RT, the Neo prog bands were influenced by Genesis.There was not a rush of PF clones at that time or any other. Do you need more exposition than that?

Not talking a lot does not equate with 'claming up'. It just reflects my tiredness from the years of talking to people who see what they want to see, instead of hearing what they should hear.

-------------

Date Posted: October 24 2014 at 09:04
And exactly how many clones of KC are there, out there?  Or of Rush?  There are bands that derive a lot of their elements from these two but most of them have proceeded to interpret such influence in their own way rather than outright imitation. 
So are you saying that spawning clones is the only kind of influence that counts?  If that is the case, it is not surprising that you would get tired of such discussions because you want to frame the understanding of influence only under your own terms and don't want to concede room for a different view.  And as for seeing what one wants to see, I think if you cannot hear Mother in the opening verse of Silent Lucidity, then it is you who first need to heed your own advice.

Date Posted: October 24 2014 at 09:11
Supertramp, Kate Bush, U2, Tears for Fears all these acts to name a very few were undeniably influenced by Floyd.  A band that influenced some extremely popular acts and you seriously want to know if they influenced ANY bands?

Date Posted: October 25 2014 at 02:43
Quite obviously DSOTM will have made an impression on many artists. Steve Wilson is someone else that could be mentioned. The problem for me is that Floyd were very good at combining a lot of common elements rather than creating amazingly original music imo. I like them but they were never as interesting as other prog bands of the time. So Supertramp have been influenced by Floyd but how would you ever know? What Supertramp song screams ''Floyd'' or for that matter any of those other artists listed. Perhaps we can just list anyone that's heard DSOTM which is everyone!

Date Posted: October 25 2014 at 04:03
Supertramp - Gone Hollywood, clearly influenced by Floyd's art/theatre rock phase.  

Kate Bush - Breathing.  It could even be a case where the song 're-influenced' Floyd in turn, because Breathing shares uncanny similarities with High Hopes.   Especially the chords on that last chorus/coda, it's a lot like the chords on "The grass was greener...".

Tears for Fears - Sowing the Seeds of Love. Even the very vocal delivery is a lot like Waters.  

In the case of U2, Edge himself has cited Dogs as a key influence so I need go no further.  

I think personal preferences are clouding judgment here.  Floyd may not have been as musical as some of the out and out prog rock acts.  But that does not and never has had a bearing on whether any artist's music could influence that of others.  Nobody said Whitney's power ballad format was interesting.  But it is parroted endlessly by contestants on music reality shows.  Commercial success itself is usually a good enough incentive to want to derive/borrow/imitate, as applicable.

Date Posted: October 25 2014 at 04:05
And I would say the fact that Gone Hollywood may not instantly sound like a Floyd-clone song is simply down to Supertramp's originality.  Likewise in the case of Kate Bush.  They were extremely creative songwriters in their own right, unlike the vast swathes of retro prog bands who only want to faithfully imitate the 70s bands. So obviously they wanted to make their own voice heard, rising above their influences.

Date Posted: October 25 2014 at 07:48

Shocked Mamma mia... hahah , I know pretty well what you are talking about, my mother is italian's daughter.Embarrassed 

haha.  Yeah. I do love my love pain and pleasure. My ex-wife was a fiery red head .. so what did I do to myself when that gradual 10 year destruction of my self-esteem and will to live finally ended... immediately fall madly in love with a fiery Italian woman. 

Never a dull moment. Nothing bores me more than docile people with no fire or passion.

Fortunately Raff understands and accepts me for what I am, and my many substantial faults like me ex never could. Not a day passes, that I am not thankful for fate or whatever God, call him Ivan Melgar-Morey or call him whatever, that brought us together from very different backgrounds, cultures, and places from opposite ends of the earth. Heart

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: October 25 2014 at 08:33
i think Moody Blues and Procol Harum influence is more prescent in Supertramps sound then Floyd, though it is there, and Gone Hollywood and theatrisme, is not solaly Floyds invention in rock, many bands had that.

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2014 at 09:09
Gone Hollywood is just one example.  In Brother Bound, it's very obvious.  And that's before we get to the Gilmour solo.  I could go on and on.  I really would not like to spend more time enumerating examples.  There are plenty of them for people who can listen with an open mind to note. For the rest, I don't think my mentioning them is going to make any difference, so why dwell any further on this.

Date Posted: October 25 2014 at 11:09

And exactly how many clones of KC are there, out there?  Or of Rush?  There are bands that derive a lot of their elements from these two but most of them have proceeded to interpret such influence in their own way rather than outright imitation. 
So are you saying that spawning clones is the only kind of influence that counts?  If that is the case, it is not surprising that you would get tired of such discussions because you want to frame the understanding of influence only under your own terms and don't want to concede room for a different view.  And as for seeing what one wants to see, I think if you cannot hear Mother in the opening verse of Silent Lucidity, then it is you who first need to heed your own advice.
I knew this was coming as I said that I've been at this for a while.

First off, like most people, you confuse influence with imitation. They are not the same thing. Silent Lucidity is a facsimile of a Pink Floyd song, and that is not influence. Michael Kaman's score should helped to give that away along with the myriad of Floyd recording tricks.

The rest of the album, btw, owes no 'influence' to Floyd. The following song's are Queensryche's alone: Best that I Can, The Thin Line, Jet City Woman, Della Brown, Another Rainy Night, Empire, Resistance and Hand On Heart. 

Are your starting to realize the difference between influence and imitation?

-------------

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: October 25 2014 at 17:22
And difference between influence and Copy is important too.
I think we have different "Influence Definition". Some guys think influence equal to Copy and Clone BUT this isn't correct IMO. I think Copy or Clone music is "Un-valuable " and I don't want to talk about these kind of music. Influence is far from Copy. Maybe you can't recognize all influences parts or elements because they (influences parts or ...) may hide in deeper layer of one song. You can't say : I can find all of influences parts and I have more abilities than everyone! 
First we must have same definition about Influence then we can discuss about that. I saw this "Misunderstanding" and hot discussion  in this thread about that. This kind of discussion never have a good results.

Posted By: The Mystical
Date Posted: October 25 2014 at 18:40
Miles Davis, by miles. How can anybody argue otherwise?

-------------
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.

Date Posted: October 25 2014 at 20:26

haha.  Yeah. I do love my love pain and pleasure. My ex-wife was a fiery red head .. so what did I do to myself when that gradual 10 year destruction of my self-esteem and will to live finally ended... immediately fall madly in love with a fiery Italian woman. 

Never a dull moment. Nothing bores me more than docile people with no fire or passion.

Fortunately Raff understands and accepts me for what I am, and my many substantial faults like me ex never could. Not a day passes, that I am not thankful for fate or whatever God, call him Ivan Melgar-Morey or call him whatever, that brought us together from very different backgrounds, cultures, and places from opposite ends of the earth. Heart

Hey Micky it's very interesting what you are telling me, I believe too that some of the important facts of our lifes are truly tied to our fate, seeming to happen especially in crucial moments. By the way I'm married with an argentinian beauty of great character, well not from such an opposite end of the earth hahah, that's the power of love isn't it? Wink

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2014 at 21:30

I knew this was coming as I said that I've been at this for a while.

First off, like most people, you confuse influence with imitation. They are not the same thing. Silent Lucidity is a facsimile of a Pink Floyd song, and that is not influence. Michael Kaman's score should helped to give that away along with the myriad of Floyd recording tricks.

The rest of the album, btw, owes no 'influence' to Floyd. The following song's are Queensryche's alone: Best that I Can, The Thin Line, Jet City Woman, Della Brown, Another Rainy Night, Empire, Resistance and Hand On Heart. 

Are your starting to realize the difference between influence and imitation?

Confusion?  No, I don't think there is any confusion, neither from your side nor mine.  What I am quite sure of is you are pretty adept at shifting the goalposts as per your convenience.  If it's just influence you are interested in, I have already established that a few pages now.  I believe it was you who introduced the wrinkle that there are no Floyd-clones like Genesis-neo prog (I will come to this point a bit later).  And it was in this context I pointed out slabs of music that are very Floyd-like even in songs of bands that would not count Floyd as a dominant influence.  Er, I am afraid you first need to decide whether your original question was really one of sincere inquiry or are you just trying to manufacture arguments that 'help' you conclude that no influence is significant as long as the source is Floyd?

Anyhow, we'll start with Silent Lucidity.  First off, no, it's not a facsimile.  The song actually has metal riffs in the background during the spoken voice bit so that's not like Floyd at all.  And Tate's delivery is pure metal again, especially once he gets out of the low pitched intro.  A facsimile would have to be an exact or near exact facsimile.  You don’t have to take my word for it as far as the meaning of the word goes.  According to the Merriam Webster dictionary as well, facsimile is “an exact copy”.  You may shift goal posts if you wish (though that makes the discussion process much more difficult) but you cannot change the plain meaning of English words. 

Secondly, it has nothing to do with Kamen’s arrangements or Floyd’s recording tricks.  I cited the VOCAL MELODY of the opening verse, which is very similar in places to Mother.  As far as I know, note-similarity in vocal melodies cannot be attributed to arrangements or recording tricks.  I am also aware that the band as such is not strongly influenced by Floyd and, though Empire is a pretty boring album, I too do not recall any Floyd like moments in say Jet City Woman.  Here’s the thing.  Nearly everybody has heard a Floyd album at one point or the other.  With the result that there is a deeply embedded Floyd influence that creeps in at some point or the other in the work of many, many bands.  My friend is a prog rock musician and not a particularly big fan of Floyd though he does respect them and he has, by self admission, been influenced by Floyd in writing some guitar parts.  Prog rockers, I find, think influence is just structure or arrangements.  That is a very prog, and narrow, point of view.  There’s also the meat: the vocal melodies, the riffs, the chords, that is, the parts.  While Floyd may not have stuck to definite patterns in the way they develop music owing to their flexibility, there are definite patterns in their melodies, riffs and chords that Floyd fans can certainly recognise immediately as the signature of their band.  Some such Floyd fans, serious or casual, go on to become musicians and traces of Floyd can be found in their music.  To argue that such influence is insignificant would be disingenuous in the extreme because that would tantamount to saying that significant influence of Beatles is measured only by those bands that cloned them and not by those who were inspired by them to make music.  And by the way, to reiterate, Silent Lucidity is not a one off.  I can go on with many, many such examples of various bands from a variety of genres.  You may pretend that is not influence if it suits you, but I shall recognise it quickly for what it is: a pretence and no more.

Moving on to the question of what genres Floyd spawned, I think it would take a strong case of musical blindness to deny their role in the development of pyschedelic and space rock and, through their Barrett albums, on Krautrock as well.  Sure, they share that honour with Doors, Jefferson Airplane and to a lesser extent Beatles (Revolver), Hawkwind following a bit later.  It is not exclusive, but they are one of the most significant influences on a vast majority of bands in these genres.  And this is where I return to neo prog and Genesis.  I am quite familiar with Marillion, IQ and Twelfth Night, three of the most important neo prog bands.  None of these bands would count only Genesis as their source material.  Twelfth Night actually have a bit of NWOBHM (which can also be heard in Marillion’s Garden Party track) going on.  Marillion and IQ are both also influenced by Rush.  Pink Floyd also rears its ugly head again when it comes to Marillion and not just in the form of Gilmour leads.  The riffs of Brick in the Wall are evoked when guitar takes over in Assassing.  So the claim that each and every neo prog band is just a Genesis clone is mostly a figment of the fertile imagination of Genesis fanatics and little more. One Grendel does not a Genesis clone make.

Again, that was just one example with respect to Marillion. So don’t rush to pretend you’ve got to just refute that to negate the argument.  I cannot and will not spend time enumerating each and every such instance, so do not insult my intelligence.  As it is you who wish to claim that Floyd ‘s influence is not so significant, going against conventional wisdom which holds that Floyd is one of the most influential rock bands of all times, it is really up to you to explain why.  And if you don’t have any interest in doing so, that is your choice.  But in that case do remember that when you point fingers at people saying they only hear what they want to hear, three of your own point right back at you.  Such claims are neither very convincing nor very pleasant.  As far as I am concerned, Floyd's influence on music as a whole is far deeper than that of any prog rock band save Kraftwerk.  Um, Miles Davis isn't really a prog ROCK artist but yeah, him too.  And I would go so far as to state that only prog rock fans could possibly believe that is not the case.

Date Posted: October 26 2014 at 03:48
Not that you need any help Rogerthat. But I gotta say that SteveG; if you read your whole dispute with this smart fellow here you should start blushing. The way you're discussing, taking weak arguments originating from your own posts twisting it into something that can be used to your advantage against your opponent isn't very impressive.

And btw: Pink Floyd not really influential? Are you kidding me? 1967: Interstellar Overdrive (+Astronomy Domine) - 10 minutes that along with 1968's Saucerful and a couple of more PF-tunes pretty much singlehandedly kickstarted Krautrock, Space Rock, German Kosmishe, Psychedelic Rock... All this before we've even gotten to Echoes and Dark Side of the Moon.

Btw: I'm as surprised as Guldbamsen that Genesis is actually in the lead. Trespass simply wouldn't exist in the shape it does (neither would Yes Album, Gentle Giant or ELP) without KC's number one in the UK-album - In The Court of the Crimson King.            

-------------

Date Posted: October 26 2014 at 04:31
and yet no one has mentioned The Nice. There are plenty of KC and Pink Floyd fanboys to challenge the Genesis fanboys on this site. How many are musicians and how many actually know what they are talking about? John Wetton was interviewed recently and pretty much gave all the credit to Zappa for kick starting the prog scene. 

Date Posted: October 26 2014 at 04:35
I personally would not dispute the influence of Nice or Zappa on prog rock. I have not claimed in any case that Floyd alone originated prog rock.  I am not foolish enough to make such outrageous claims, sorry.  I actually like KC more than Floyd and Genesis about the same, but thanks for assuming I am a Floyd fanboy (now don't pretend you didn't).  

Date Posted: October 26 2014 at 05:37

and yet no one has mentioned The Nice. There are plenty of KC and Pink Floyd fanboys to challenge the Genesis fanboys on this site. How many are musicians and how many actually know what they are talking about? John Wetton was interviewed recently and pretty much gave all the credit to Zappa for kick starting the prog scene. 
You, me, Wetton... we all have our blind spots and preferences. When I bought the second, third and fourth Nice album (found them all really cheap) I was (like many curious progfans) very dissapointed. I also felt like I was listening to a musical dead end. I wasn't around when all this happened so I can't really claim to know how it played out. But there's little doubt that KC's 1969-debut, containing two or perhaps even three or four songs that is echoed in literally countless compositions by progbands all over the world made a much bigger splash than anything from the albums by The Nice. On top of that Fripp reinvented KC into something darker, jazzier, dissonant and more experimental that young belgian/french folks coming out of conservatories transformed into Chamber Rock, Avant Prog (or R.I.O if you will. I know you know all about this).

I agree that Zappa kick started something that "everyone" was listening to and inspired by. But In the Court... is nevertheless a unique starting point and a guiding star to what came after labeled Progressive Rock.       

-sorry for a couple of not so elegant sentences and such. english is not my first language.

-------------

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: October 26 2014 at 05:51
It's an old story. One can say that Beethoven started it all and Orff invented the Zeuhl. The first percussionist was likely a Neanderthal who may have invented the growling, too. It depends on when you put the starting point. Good spot on The Nice, anyway.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk