Print Page | Close Window

And Then There Were Three: Genesis

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100060
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 07:46
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: And Then There Were Three: Genesis
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: And Then There Were Three: Genesis
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:14
What's your take on this so called "transitional" album by Genesis. It's one of my favs and I think it gets a bad rap by Genesis fans. It was one of the last few they did with producer David Hentschel and I almost consider him part of the band for the great production work he did on this album.

Replies:
Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:22
It is an excellent album, one that I still love listening to with that wall of sound.

It was not, btw, the final Henschel album.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:23
One of my very favorite Genesis albums. Doesn't deserve the hate it recieves. It has a very special atmosphere to it that it creates.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:27
I like it quite a bit.  I think about half of the songs are spectacular; but the other half are fairly forgettable.  There's very little middle ground for me.   The ones I love are Down and Out, Undertow, Ballad of Big, Burning Rope, Deep in the Motherlode, and The Lady Lies.  Snowbound is ok.  The others not so much.

Definitely a transitional album, as you say.  It sounds a lot like Wind and Wuthering, but without the winding song structures - even the long tracks are fairly straightforward verse/chorus/middle 8 songs.  It sounds closer to Wind than to Duke, though, with its dense keyboard atmosphere.  I think Phil didn't really find his true voice until Duke; on ...Three he still sounds a little thin and buried in the mix.

Conclusion - I return to this album more than most Genesis albums, but just for those 6 or so songs I really enjoy.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:36
The hatred came mainly from disappointed hard core Genesis fans and musicians during the 70's. It was a pretty harsh reaction during that time, but I liked the album and especially enjoyed the tracks Holy Moly mentioned. Not a bad effort at all considering the 3 of them taking on the heavy load of responsibility that keeps a band together in this world due to the on going departure of important members. 

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:42
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It is an excellent album, one that I still love listening to with that wall of sound.

Forgot about Duke, Laz. Thanks for the correction.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:52
And to think if they released "The Lady Lies" instead of "Follow You, Follow Me" as a single it probably would have reversed all the fortunes they built up in the 80's!
"Down And Out" is one of the best opening songs on an album they've had, and sounds like it could have gone on "The Lamb Lies Down In Broadway" had Peter allowed other members to write songs for that.
They didn't, we know what happened, and what we got was a more important "We're still Genesis album" than "A Trick Of The Tail". But the later has the more consistent track record of great songs.
"And The There Were Three", when it's good it's killer Genesis material. And when it's bad it's not a disaster but patience testing.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:59
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

What's your take on this so called "transitional" album by Genesis. It's one of my favs and I think it gets a bad rap by Genesis fans. It was one of the last they did with producer David Hentschel and I almost consider him part of the band for the great production work he did on this album.

It's an awesome album. Tony's keyboard lines are stellar. I prefer Phil's voice to Peter's (heresy, I know). The album constitutes what I call "melodic prog" for the time. It isn't quite symph, and it certainly isn't AOR, but it has a great crossover* appeal.

*Crossover prog? Haha. Wink

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 12:29
One of my top favorite Genesis albums, probably my favorite after Selling England By The Pound.
Great songs, intensity, great sound, wonderful lyrics, and I love the Hipgnosis album art.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 12:33
All above posts cover my feelings on the album.....I enjoy that one and spin it regularly.

-------------

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 13:11
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

One of my very favorite Genesis albums. Doesn't deserve the hate it recieves. It has a very special atmosphere to it that it creates.
100% agree. I love this "Special Atmosphere" . Good point. Thumbs Up

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 14:35

That is a key element for me.

Its an album that has that intensity and an impressive tightness in everything presented. Not a hair out of place. I can understand why some may find it claustrophobic compared to earlier Genesis albums. Nothing really 'flies' in the old traditional style of prog. Genesis took note of trends and crafted a modern (for its time) prog record that could be played on the radio. Crossover prog is not a bad description as previously mentioned.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 14:49
An excellent album. Certainly up there in my top five Genesis albums. It was the first Genesis I heard end to end, and although I wasn't keen on Snowbound and Follow you follow me, I have grown to like them.

As for Down & Out, Undertow, Burning Rope and Motherlode they are some of the best songs they ever wrote imo.

Solid 4.5 stars. 5 if you ask me when I'm on a real nostalgia trip..

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 14:59
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

That is a key element for me.

Its an album that has that intensity and an impressive tightness in everything presented. Not a hair out of place. I can understand why some may find it claustrophobic compared to earlier Genesis albums. Nothing really 'flies' in the old traditional style of prog. Genesis took note of trends and crafted a modern (for its time) prog record that could be played on the radio. Crossover prog is not a bad description as previously mentioned.

Yes Richard, I couldn't agree more with Laz on his 'Wall of Sound' description. I just gave the album another spin and the production really nails everything together. Superb.

-------------

Posted By: bloodnarfer
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 15:24
Ok, I'll be that guy. The album seems to have a very mushy quality that I'm just not crazy about.  It's easy for it to fall into the background and sometimes I lose track of where one song ends and the next begins. It's still undeniably a good album, but I haven't been able to enjoy more than a surface-level appreciation of it.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ramza1316" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/user/ramza1316
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 15:29
^There's nothing wrong with being 'that guy'. I appreciate honest opinions. Smile

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 15:41
I haven't heard it that much but it hasn't grabbed me so far. I prefer Duke.

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 15:55
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

An excellent album. Certainly up there in my top five Genesis albums. It was the first Genesis I heard end to end, and although I wasn't keen on Snowbound and Follow you follow me, I have grown to like them.

As for Down & Out, Undertow, Burning Rope and Motherlode they are some of the best songs they ever wrote imo.

Solid 4.5 stars. 5 if you ask me when I'm on a real nostalgia trip..

Right on... And Then There Were Three - that is indeed a REAL nostalgia trip... and some of those so catchy melodies bring me also kind of melancholic feelings.

I remember like if it was today that it was the only LP I often put that my sister also listened to without trying to put louder her music (George Benson, The Bolshoi, Spandau Ballet, etc.) at those times...

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 22:23
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

What's your take on this so called "transitional" album by Genesis. It's one of my favs and I think it gets a bad rap by Genesis fans. It was one of the last they did with producer David Hentschel and I almost consider him part of the band for the great production work he did on this album.

It's an awesome album. Tony's keyboard lines are stellar. I prefer Phil's voice to Peter's (heresy, I know). The album constitutes what I call "melodic prog" for the time. It isn't quite symph, and it certainly isn't AOR, but it has a great crossover* appeal.

*Crossover prog? Haha. Wink

Yeah, I have always liked Phil's singing much better than Gabriel's... actually, I have never been able to understand the great praise Gabriel gets as a singer. However, about the album, I also like it well enough... at least I like a lot about half of the songs (I guess mainly the ones that have been mentioned before), the others I don't care so much about. I love how much keyboard oriented it sounds, and it kind of reminds me of ELP because of the keyboard led power trio thing.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: October 23 2014 at 00:43
Solid 4 star album. Just because the songs were shorter, doesn't necessarily mean they weren't Prog. The band condensed longer form potential (what we like, and a strong trait of what generally defines Prog) into catchy shorter pieces doesn't mean that it screams 'sell-out'.... I love this album for sure. Such energy.........

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: October 23 2014 at 01:04
all the post say everything I`d have said, Holy Molly song list is spot on...

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: October 23 2014 at 01:05
5 star epic.....Genesis kept delivering again and again. There is a paradox to the album, cold and warm. Tightly woven, perfect production. True compressed sound on a vinyl, umm songwriting magic. Down and Out and Deep In The Motherlode standouts but I can still groove to Scene's from a Night's DreamApprove

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 23 2014 at 03:19
Moved to 'featured albums'.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 23 2014 at 09:06
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

Ok, I'll be that guy. The album seems to have a very mushy quality that I'm just not crazy about.  It's easy for it to fall into the background and sometimes I lose track of where one song ends and the next begins. It's still undeniably a good album, but I haven't been able to enjoy more than a surface-level appreciation of it.

^That makes two of us....

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: October 23 2014 at 09:44
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^That makes two of us....

I'm bad too. I recall that I and a bunch of friends were desperate to hear a suitable follow up to Wind and Wuthering. We resorted to skipping through tracks to find something we'd like and over time....we ended up appreciating what we originally felt lacked in the spirit of progressive Genesis. Now that 30 some years has passed, I don't mind the album as much...huh???? We changed our opinion only to a degree

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: October 23 2014 at 15:41
Except for The Lady Lies and The Ballad of Big, this is forgettable.

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: October 27 2014 at 21:36
I do hate ATTWT. Not simply because it's a departure from Prog, but it's not even good Pop music in my mind. Duke and Abacab were vast improvements by Pop standards. I would easily prefer From Genesis to Revelation to ATTWT.

Date Posted: October 28 2014 at 02:37
I don't believe it was a departure from prog unless you are a stickler for prog albums that must have tracks that are at least 8 minutes. If so then Gentle Giant need to be cleared off the site immediately and Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is 'pop'. I just think they were hedging their bets a bit as they also did on Duke until the punk storm blew over and they could concentrate on doing exactly what they wanted to do - pop. Genesis To Revelation is something else altogether -'sixties pop'. I can't see much connection between those albums at all.

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: October 28 2014 at 06:48
I must admit I don't play this one often but I do still enjoy it. It may have been a departure but grandeur was still an element. The pop leanings just made the songs a bit more infectious. When I first heard it I was only familiar with Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and W&W. I found it different but didn't feel like my old Genesis had lost its way. Later on, with a more critical ear, the differences became more apparent but didn't diminish my enjoyment of the music.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Posted By: Vic333
Date Posted: October 28 2014 at 09:06
"Forgettable" is my review of ATTWT. "Down and Out" starts out strong and mighty, "Follow You, Follow Me" is a good ending. Everything in the middle, I just cannot get into. 

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: November 01 2014 at 06:58
I really like the dramaticness and dynamics of "say its alltight joe", such a cool song that ebs and flow from dusk-til-dawn feel.

-------------

Posted By: catfood03
Date Posted: November 01 2014 at 08:47
I think ATTW3 is good, if perhaps a bit patchy. I prefer both it's chronological predecessor (Wind and Wuthering) and successor (Duke) as album statements.

Favorite tracks:
Undertow
Ballad of Big
Deep in the Motherlode
The Lady Lies

Posted By: Nov
Date Posted: November 01 2014 at 08:52
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

And to think if they released "The Lady Lies" instead of "Follow You, Follow Me" as a single it probably would have reversed all the fortunes they built up in the 80's!
"Down And Out" is one of the best opening songs on an album they've had, and sounds like it could have gone on "The Lamb Lies Down In Broadway" had Peter allowed other members to write songs for that. They didn't, we know what happened, and what we got was a more important "We're still Genesis album" than "A Trick Of The Tail". But the later has the more consistent track record of great songs.
"And The There Were Three", when it's good it's killer Genesis material. And when it's bad it's not a disaster but patience testing.
I assume that you are just talking about the lyrics on the Lamb (which Peter wrote most of)?

Because I am sure you must know that everyone except Peter wrote most of the music for The Lamb, except for Carpet Crawl and The Chamber of 32 Doors.

You seemed to be perpetuating the myth that Peter wrote all the lyrics AND music for The Lamb which he obviously didn't.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: November 01 2014 at 16:49
...ever since this thread started, "Burning Rope" has turned into my brainworm!!  

A very nice song, but not when it plays over & over in my mind!!  Disapprove

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: November 03 2014 at 08:07
^ A dangerous brainworm indeed LOL
ATTWT is one of my favorite albums by them, it was actually my first album by them I bought, and then worked my way backwards. 

Down and Out is a fantastic song and a great one to open the album with.  The Lady Lies is another great song off of the album.

-------------

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: November 03 2014 at 08:27
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

I assume that you are just talking about the lyrics on the Lamb (which Peter wrote most of)?

Because I am sure you must know that everyone except Peter wrote most of the music for The Lamb, except for Carpet Crawl and The Chamber of 32 Doors.

You seemed to be perpetuating the myth that Peter wrote all the lyrics AND music for The Lamb which he obviously didn't.

Sorry, yeah the lyrics! My bad. Confused

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: November 05 2014 at 13:34
My favorite post-Peter Genesis album....well, that and Wind but I like that album 'cause Steve plays his ass off....and you can actually hear him in places instead of Banks doodling all over his solos (or Banks having Steve play with effects to make the guitar sound more like a keyboard.....Banks kills a lot of Genesis stuff for me.....but Banks is the hero on ATTWT - paradox!).

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: November 05 2014 at 14:25
I don't understand all the hate this album gets either especially by those who say they love W&W and ATOTT. For me it's just a continuation of those two but in a shorter song format. The dreamy lush keyboard sound is still there. I think where they dropped the ball is Abacab which has some awkward sounding tracks mixed in with a few really good ones but still probably the most inconsistent album they put out up to that point. ATTWT on the hand is very consistent and I like every track on it(of course some more than others).

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: November 05 2014 at 17:50
This album was new when I first got into Genesis.  I think it has some cheesy songs, but I still like it.  I remember Follow You Follow Me getting airplay and I liked it before I became a full blown Genesis fan.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: SquonkHunter
Date Posted: November 11 2014 at 07:47
I ignored this album when it was first released. Other than Follow You Follow Me, I never heard anything from the album played on radio. A few months ago, I went back and started listening to it. First impression is the noticeable absence of Steve Hackett's guitar riffs. Once I got past that, I started to like most of the songs. It is still Genesis but a bit thinner than previous issues. After a few months in my usual listening rotation, this album has risen in stature considerably in my eyes.

-------------
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: November 14 2014 at 09:04

...The album seems to have a very mushy quality that I'm just not crazy about...

That's what it is.  I just could not put the right word to it, but "mushy" defines it for me too...

Date Posted: November 14 2014 at 11:56
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

...The album seems to have a very mushy quality that I'm just not crazy about...

That's what it is.  I just could not put the right word to it, but "mushy" defines it for me too...
<div style="display:none;" id="__if72ru4sdfsdfruh7fewui_once"><div style="display:none;" id="__hggasdgjhsagd_once">

It's arguably Hentchels weakest production job, but I don't think that ruins the songs on the album.

-------------

Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: November 14 2014 at 14:25
Definitely among my favorite Genesis albums too. Not a big fan of "Follow You Follow Me", but the rest of the album is very special to my ears. Side A is particularly strong and especially "Burning Rope" stands out as one of the best tunes ever written by Genesis. Side B is slightly more uneven, but then again tracks like "Deep in the Motherlode", "Scenes from a Night´s Dream" and "The Lady Lies" are just fantastic songs.

I absolutely adore the production job too. It sounds so futuristic...

-------------
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/" rel="nofollow - Metal Music Archives

https://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR" rel="nofollow - UMUR on RYM

Date Posted: November 14 2014 at 15:10

<div style="display:none;" id="__if72ru4sdfsdfruh7fewui_once"><div style="display:none;" id="__hggasdgjhsagd_once">

It's arguably Hentchels weakest production job, but I don't think that ruins the songs on the album.
Shocked WTF? LOL
 This is actually a superb recording with Hentschel able to approximate a "Wall of Sound' without sacrificing any details of the music or vocals. Hentshel's use of ADT (automatic double tracking) numerous times on Collin's vocals in order produce a pleated effect on the song's choruses is still trying to be emulated to this day.

Perhaps you don't care for the dense sound this style of production creates, which would be a matter of taste, and that's understandable.

Posted By: fudgenuts64
Date Posted: November 14 2014 at 17:42
Definitely weak production here. I love the wall of sound but it's done better on Wind and Wuthering. Love this album but it seems strange that Renaissance's A Song For All Seasons produced by Hentschel and released a month earlier sounds so much clearer.

-------------

Date Posted: November 15 2014 at 01:57

Shocked WTF? LOL
 This is actually a superb recording with Hentschel able to approximate a "Wall of Sound' without sacrificing any details of the music or vocals. Hentshel's use of ADT (automatic double tracking) numerous times on Collin's vocals in order produce a pleated effect on the song's choruses is still trying to be emulated to this day.

Perhaps you don't care for the dense sound this style of production creates, which would be a matter of taste, and that's understandable.

Production is a pretty subjective thing. I don't really dislike the job on ATTWT but the 'wall of sound' approach can mean that the dyanmics of some of the instrumnets can get lost in the fog. I think that is sometimes the case for the drums and bass guitar on this album, when the music is particularly busy and in the heavier sections. It's not as 'punchy' as Duke. It's not a bright as WAW and the individual instruments aren't as clearly defined as they are on ATOTT.

Anyway, despite that ATTWT is still a very strong album imo. The band don't seem that fond of it these days but it was an important album for them commercially. It's chart position is rarely talked about. Much is made of SEBTP and ATOTT reaching No3 in the UK charts. ATTWT reached No2.

-------------

Date Posted: November 15 2014 at 02:05
I can understand the comments about the production and this along with the shorter songs creates a feeling of almost claustrophobia but that oddly for me does not harm it but rather gives it a unique feel.

Date Posted: November 15 2014 at 02:13

I can understand the comments about the production and this along with the shorter songs creates a feeling of almost claustrophobia but that oddly for me does not harm it but rather gives it a unique feel.

I agree the album has a unique feel, and special atmosphere. I've always loved it.

-------------

Date Posted: November 15 2014 at 02:42
Sounds more like Azure D'or in the production job, and heading towards Duke.

Date Posted: November 15 2014 at 11:09
^Again, that's no coincidence as Hentschel was trying to adapt to the aesthetics of the times and from pressure from Genesis for a more 'open' live sound on Duke, which was not Hentschel's cup of tea. However, if you listen little a bit more closely, you will  hear some fogging up of the sound on several songs from the A Song For All Seasons album, like the Jon Camp song Kindness (In The End) which sounds like pea soup. At least to me it does.LOL

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: November 15 2014 at 11:42
The wall of sound???? 

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: November 15 2014 at 12:02

The album sadly contains that FYFM hit song; very ABBA-like, back then it was a shock, a slap in the face of many proggers and the Genesis fans; imo, the album has its great moments, without a doubt it was well executed ("wall of sound") but the whole thing was vulgarized with that FYFM hit song.
Also, the album jacket is not one of Hipgnosis' best moments, I'm afraid Embarrassed

Date Posted: November 15 2014 at 12:04
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

The wall of sound???? 
Actually developed by The Dead.

Date Posted: November 15 2014 at 12:41
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

The wall of sound???? 
Actually developed by The Dead.
Phil Spector is dead? When was somebody going to tell me?!

-------------

Date Posted: November 15 2014 at 16:12
Ain't Spector in jail ??
FYFM does sport a pretty cool ARP solo from Banks, don't recall hearing that in any ABBA song (although I do have the LP of The Visitors).

Date Posted: November 15 2014 at 17:03

ATTWT sounds great but the first CD issue didn't sound anywhere near as good as the vinyl. On the LP, Banks' synth on "Deep in the Motherlode" was vibrant and had a lot of punch. For newer people getting into Genesis, this probably left less of an impression. At the time, anyway.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 09:59

What's your take on this so called "transitional" album by Genesis. It's one of my favs and I think it gets a bad rap by Genesis fans. It was one of the last few they did with producer David Hentschel and I almost consider him part of the band for the great production work he did on this album.

Boring ... and not worth the discussion in my book. By that time GENESIS was over and done with! "A Trick of the Tail" was the end for me, and after that copy, copy, copy, copy and sound, sound, sound ... and not new enough for me.

And by that time, there were FAR BETTER things all over Europe that deserved more attention than a burned out old band that was getting too much attention and didn't deserve it.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:00
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

"A Trick of the Tail" was the end for me

You don't like Wind & Wuthering?

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:21
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Ain't Spector in jail ??
FYFM does sport a pretty cool ARP solo from Banks, don't recall hearing that in any ABBA song (although I do have the LP of The Visitors).
I know he's in jail.  You know he's in jail, but does Svetonio know? LOL

-------------

Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 19:12
I find ATTWT inconsistent - some songs are spectacular, others leave me flat. To me, the album was transitional not so much as it related to the departure of Hackett, but as it related to a changed music business that demanded shorter, radio-friendly songs. 

The problem I have with the late '70s-'80s hit parade is that, while some of the radio-friendly songs are great, it became a lot harder for bands to put together an album that satisfies from start to finish. And this is something the fan base of classic progressive bands expected (demanding lot, we are). That, in a nutshell is how I feel about all of the subsequent Genesis albums. I enjoy most of the songs, but each album contains at least one track that makes me want to go hide in another room.

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 23:55

Ain't Spector in jail ??
When he created his 'wall of sound' I wonder if he knew he'd end up surrounded by 'four walls of silence' ???

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: November 17 2014 at 06:15

Shocked WTF? LOL

As the thread up to this point indicates, we beg to differ with your opinion on the supposed "wall of sound" (what the f**k is that exactly?)

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 17 2014 at 08:10
'Wall of Sound' notwithstanding, I just don't think it has the same quality of songs as the previous Genesis albums. I find myself losing interest while listening to the tracks.....they are nice but a bit boring at times.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: November 17 2014 at 14:11

Shocked WTF? LOL

As the thread up to this point indicates, we beg to differ with your opinion on the supposed "wall of sound" (what the f**k is that exactly?)

Its also my opinion and exactly how I have though of it for years. You either hear it or your don't. To me its just multi layered sound creating a very dense effect where instrumentation and vocals melt all into one. OK probably not the best technical description but its what I hear.

Its influence can be heard in IQ's The Wake where they attempted to recreate it some extent. 

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: November 17 2014 at 14:30
Well, The fact is that "Follow Me Follow You" was the song I first slow danced to at my wedding in 1988 and that it still has a knicker-loosening effect on my mrs sort of defines it's genre! It's up there with the boy-bands and rest of the mushier forms of music - and it IS a pop album. It's not even cross-over! there is no track on it that can't be danced to and that wouldn't immediately be sl*g.ed off by teeny-boppers...It is a CD that will remain in my collection un-played till I make like the Norwegian-blue! I have probably 1000 CD's that would be higher up the pecking order and that obviously includes the seven genesis albums which preceded it and are all at least ten-times better! and 1,000,000 times better when the album is SEBTP!

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: November 17 2014 at 14:50
'teeny-boppers' lol

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: November 17 2014 at 15:37

Shocked WTF? LOL

The Wall of Sound, created by 50's producer Phil Spector, was a dense sound mix of live musicians recorded in an echo chamber and over treated with reverb. It has since been abandoned in modern recording so that any dense sound mix, now manipulated with specific limiting and compression levels, is referred to as a "wall of sound" (note that the term is now in quotations) style of production. Basically, a slang expression for a thick, dense or foggy sound mix that robs the breathing space that surrounds the instruments and/or vocals and in extreme cases, detail. I don't like to use the expression myself, but others in this thread already did, so I just followed suit. And this is exactly the f**k a "wall of sound" is.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: November 17 2014 at 16:29
I have no idea what a "wall of sound" is technically. I leave that sort of thing to experts such as
Dean.

However, as a music and Genesis fan, I know precisely what it means. It started with ATTWT. When you put on that album, and the entire room filled with a beautiful whole noise, filling the entire room, and, indeed, house. It sounded unlike anything else I had ever heard, and it was, of course, led by those Banks keyboards.

This might not be technically correct. But it sure as hell is accurate.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: November 17 2014 at 16:51
^Absolutely correct, Laz. it's always difficult to describe sound but your explanation was perfect in this circumstance.

As an old mate of mine used to say, "you'll know it when you hear it."  LOL

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 03:47
Seriously, I'd pay to see some one dance to 'Down And Out' (what with it's jerky 5/4 rhythm and all........)
.......may look somewhat 'jerky' and haphazard in my mind.........

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 04:03
Ok I am quite ignorant here, not necessary ignoring the previous comments but the topic title peaked my interest and you might enjoy this  I think Big smileHug drums galore

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 04:08
Oh dear, Phil and Chester ..... ......
Very nice - thanks Kati

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 04:09

Oh dear, Phil and Chester ..... ......
Very nice - thanks Kati
Tom! Hugmhwoaaahhxxxxxxxx yay and my pleasure really! xxxxx

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 04:41
^ you (obviously) love this period of Genesis like my sister.......
.......and subsequently, she can enjoy at least Nursey Cryme stuff onwards......

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 04:50

.......and subsequently, she can enjoy at least Nursey Cryme stuff onwards......
Tom I do and this song is cut through most special too ApproveHeart

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 04:56

Tom concerning the new Pf album, Roger Walter's was key too, a big part really <3 3.34 that guitar solo kills tho' xxxxx

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 04:58
Pink Floyd is not PF without Roger Waters nor it would be without Gilmour xxxxx

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:06
^ You amaze me, my dear........ .......really, The Knife ..........??..........
BTW, she can't stand Hammill or related.........but Genesis, Yes, Floyd, ELP, etc......
Select modern stuff too (Spock's Beard, Flower Kings, even loves IQ when I play them (any album!!)
To my utter shock, she had loaded on her whatever-you-call-it (a little squarish thing with a NSEW button on it......I just can't think of the device right now..........) Yes' Close To The Edge, Relayer, and Floyd's Wish You Were Here & Animals.......Chicago, and some more 'regular' stuff.....
She adores Trick, not so much W&W, she loves everything afterwards......including ATTWT.......

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:10
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

OMG ........this is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.......so help me...........(my sis worships Gilmour, and can't stand Waters !!!!!)

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:14

OMG ........this is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.......so help me...........(my sis worships Gilmour, and can't stand Waters !!!!!)
Please make your sis listen to this (Clapton on guitars)

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:16

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:20
Strip Poker - Floyd .....???? I don't make the connection.....but I think you have more important things to carry on with beyond PA. Luv ya' Kati ....

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:24

Ain't Spector in jail ??

In fact, Wall of Sound was developed for the Grateful Dead by Owsley "Bear" Stanley, the sound-engineer who was actually released from jail one year earlier LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Sound_%28Grateful_Dead%29#cite_note-1" rel="nofollow - As Stanley described it,

"The Wall of Sound is the name some people gave to a super powerful, extremely accurate PA system that I designed and supervised the building of in 1973 for the Grateful Dead. It was a massive wall of speaker arrays set behind the musicians, which they themselves controlled without a front of house mixer. It did not need any delay towers to reach a distance of half a mile from the stage without degradation." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Sound_%28Grateful_Dead%29#cite_note-2" rel="nofollow -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Sound_%28Grateful_Dead%29" rel="nofollow - link

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:28

Strip Poker - Floyd .....???? I don't make the connection.....but I think you have more important things to carry on with beyond PA. Luv ya' Kati ....

hahasha Tom how our paths have not crossed each other here is crazy hahaha!!!  
This is for you and Jeff Beck on guitars, one of the best albums too to date Thumbs UpHeartThumbs UpRoger Waters - Amused To Death xxx big Hug https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUbxZHQcOTs&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwPrHo40qr1-pvZEZcejDeOw&index=15" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUbxZHQcOTs&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwPrHo40qr1-pvZEZcejDeOw&index=15

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:30
Phil Spector is in jail indeed.

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:30
This wall stuff was called years before Owsley when Spector did The Beatles.....
The Dead just developed the idea to the extreme..........
........and Lesh is a superb Bassist..........

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:35

Phil Spector is in jail indeed.
For something dodgey, no doubt (I don't remember, I don't recall.....).....
....and yes, Waters.........   The track 'It's A Miracle' just blows me away..............to smitherines..........

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:38

Ain't Spector in jail ??

In fact, Wall of Sound was developed for the Grateful Dead by Owsley "Bear" Stanley, the sound-engineer who was actually released from jail one year earlier LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Sound_%28Grateful_Dead%29#cite_note-1" rel="nofollow - As Stanley described it,

"The Wall of Sound is the name some people gave to a super powerful, extremely accurate PA system that I designed and supervised the building of in 1973 for the Grateful Dead. It was a massive wall of speaker arrays set behind the musicians, which they themselves controlled without a front of house mixer. It did not need any delay towers to reach a distance of half a mile from the stage without degradation." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Sound_%28Grateful_Dead%29#cite_note-2" rel="nofollow -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Sound_%28Grateful_Dead%29" rel="nofollow - link
ha! Sventio :) I always was under the impression that Spector developed/came up with the wall of sound :) xxxx

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:41
Again you crack me up Kati - Sventio, Sventonio, Svetonio...... for years this name baffles me ....

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:42

Ain't Spector in jail ??

ha! Sventio :) I always was under the impression that Spector developed/came up with the wall of sound :) xxxx

I do not.

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:46
Sventonio, I am not speaking on behalf of Tom, he is my bedlam inmate you :) Tom this is for you Hug

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:51
^ Oh dear ....I love Pros And Cons for years....... Thanks Kati.   Gotta go, up at Sparrows Fart for slavery tomorrow morn...... It's just about 10pm here and I need my 'beast sleep'.........

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:53

^ Oh dear ....I love Pros And Cons for years....... Thanks Kati.   Gotta go, up at Sparrows Fart for slavery tomorrow morn...... It's just about 10pm here and I need my 'beast sleep'.........
natti natti and big hug to you Tom Hug

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 05:56
^ You rock !!
     Nighty night

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 06:19

This wall stuff was called years before Owsley when Spector did The Beatles.....
The Dead just developed the idea to the extreme..........
........and Lesh is a superb Bassist..........

Actually, Spector Sound was a production "formula" for recordings, while Stanley's Wall of Sound was developed for live gigs of the Grateful Dead, and later used by e.g. Pink Floyd.

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 10:35

Actually, Spector Sound was a production "formula" for recordings, while Stanley's Wall of Sound was developed for live gigs of the Grateful Dead, and later used by e.g. Pink Floyd.

PF did not use the "Wall of Sound" ... when I saw them in 1972 and 1974. They used a special setup they called "Quadraphonic Sound" ... which was all around you, not in front on the stage!!!!!

It was the same later for "The Wall" at the Sports Arena and a couple of years later at Anaheim Stadium, though by that time they had more equipment to show for it, but it was not a wall of sound, as the GF usually had.

Nowadays with the quality of the speakers and digital sound, a lot of this is hidden and buried, and I mentioned it in "The Wall" review with Roger recently, which, to my ears, lost some of its beauty because the sound only went left to right and then right to left, when before it went all around you, and the effect was far better and stronger.

I guess that "meaning" is no longer an important feature in music these days! Or discussions, for that matter!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 10:44

Some people believe Floyd is not Floyd without Syd Barrett. LOL

Btw, did you know "Comfortably Numb" was originally written for Gilmour's first solo album?

-------------

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 10:49

Btw, did you know "Comfortably Numb" was originally written for Gilmour's first solo album?

Not according to the Roger Waters interview on KMET (or KLOS -- not sure right now!) with Jim Ladd at the time!  .... that I have the tape of! He goes over the whole album! Earlier I also heard his whole discussion on the "Radio Kaos" thing also done by Jim Ladd.

The likelihood, or possibility, is that this riff was around before with nothing attached to it, and they found a really good "trip" to attach it to!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 11:11
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Not according to the Roger Waters interview on KMET (or KLOS -- not sure right now!) with Jim Ladd at the time!  .... that I have the tape of! He goes over the whole album! Earlier I also heard his whole discussion on the "Radio Kaos" thing also done by Jim Ladd.

The likelihood, or possibility, is that this riff was around before with nothing attached to it, and they found a really good "trip" to attach it to!

"According to Waters..." I can only imagine. Wink

Yes, it was still primarily an instrumental when it got patched over but that's what makes the song for me. The lyric/vocal portion is cool, but the instrumentation is the album's plateau and the guitar solo is one of Gilmour's best, and Waters had nothing to do with that. And it would have ended up on Gilmour's eponymous solo album, which further downplays Waters' status as an instrumentalist. Dave recorded a lot of PF's basslines. I know, this is heresy to the ears of Waters' fans, but hey, I calls 'em as I see/hear 'em. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 11:16
I  do not what to say here above to be honest. this seems fruitless. The Wall and Animals is Waters and wow pros and cons of hitchhiking plus amused to death, these, two of my overall best albums to date!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk