Print Page | Close Window

Top 10 Reasons Why Metal Eclipses Prog

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Topics not related to music
Forum Name: Just for Fun
Forum Description: Participate in trivia and knowledge games, share jokes, etc.
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100138
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 20:37
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Top 10 Reasons Why Metal Eclipses Prog
Posted By: Rednight
Subject: Top 10 Reasons Why Metal Eclipses Prog
Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 10:31
There, I said it. No, no, I'm not a metal head - I'm just a card carrying progger simply amazed (and aghast) at how big metal is compared to my beloved art rock. One might really have to strain hard to find 10 reasons, but I've noticed there's quite a number of fine essayists on this site who could probably toss this thread aside in no time with definitive thoughts on why prog is lagging behind metal in popularity. I suppose I'm also looking in anticipation for a few good belly laughs, so be perfectly forthright with your sardonic evaluations.

Replies:
Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 10:34
Prog is not my first musical love either, RN. I can only take so much of it at a time. But what are your reasons for metal trumping prog?

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 10:36
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Prog is not my first musical love either, RN. I can only take so much of it at a time. But what are your reasons for metal trumping prog?

I don't care to give any reasons. I'm only interested in the opinions of others. And I never said prog is not my "first musical love." In fact, it is.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 10:52
Playing devil's advocate:
Members http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Myung" rel="nofollow - John Myung
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Petrucci" rel="nofollow - John Petrucci
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_LaBrie" rel="nofollow - James LaBrie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Rudess" rel="nofollow - Jordan Rudess
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Mangini" rel="nofollow - Mike Mangini
Past members http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Portnoy" rel="nofollow - Mike Portnoy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Moore" rel="nofollow - Kevin Moore
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Collins_%28singer%29" rel="nofollow - Chris Collins
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Dominici" rel="nofollow - Charlie Dominici
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Sherinian" rel="nofollow - Derek Sherinian
I think you'll find that is ten.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 10:55
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I don't care to give any reasons. I'm only interested in the opinions of others. And I never said prog is not my "first musical love." In fact, it is.
My bad RN, but it seems that you have some like for metal. True or not?

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 11:02
For one, metal is a lot catchier than prog, IF you are tuned into that kind of music.  But once you get used to that much heaviness on a regular basis, metal's way more infectious, just no comparison.  There's no immediate hook like a crushing riff to draw you into the music in prog.  You have to wait until the music grows on you and that always pays lower returns on investment.  Also, prog is so anonymous, it's just music for music's sake.  Whereas metal is a lifestyle and a subculture that extends beyond music.  I am not saying any of that necessarily makes metal better and I find so called tr00 metalheads and their obsession with who is and isn't a poser (based on things like the length of their hair and their attire) quite insufferable.  For better or worse, metal has a lot of personality whereas prog is just about a bunch of dudes playing music.  If prog did eclipse metal over a long period like say 20-30 years, THAT would be unbelievable.   

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 11:03
The one reason why Metal eclipses Prog I can think of is this:

It is the way of the world that the ones who sw**k loudest shout down the others.

-------------

Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 11:08
  1. It's way cooler.
  2. It appeals to chicks.
  3. It has cooler subject matter.
  4. It has better guitarists.
  5. It has better drummers.
  6. It has better bassists.
  7. It has better singers.
  8. It has better lyrics.
  9. It's played louder in concert.
  10. It has better concert shows.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 11:12
To be honest I can't help with anything else but agreeing with RN when I see its crescent popularity compared to prog, its more aggressive style fits perfectly for a huge and massive invasion of 'kill-destroy-kill-detroy' video games in my country.  But obviously not everything from this genre is trash metal.

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 11:14
^^^  It is kind of the gateway to extreme metal, though.  At least used to be when I got into metal.  If you can digest Master of Puppets, you can be moved on to Reign in Blood.  Thereafter, death metal is a breeze.

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 11:18
I would find that the kinds of metal you are talking about and the kinds of metal fans you are talking about would make for different reasons. Some are into metal because of the emergence of critically acclaimed acts like Alcest, Wolves in the Throne Room, and Sunn O))). Others are into metal because of a kneejerk reaction to pop music, with the nearest thing to them requiring technical skill being metalcore. Some are into metal via proto-metal via classic rock. Some are into metal after digging through their older brothers CD collection. I also know people for whom the only good prog and the only good metal to be found are in prog metal. You probably would be better off looking at the different sub-genres and fans instead of the qualities of the genre itself.

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 12:04

My bad RN, but it seems that you have some like for metal. True or not?

True. I can sit through a televised Judas Priest concert and appreciate its spectacle. I also respect metal for its sizable fan base. But with the exception of a few acts like Black Sabbath, metal really didn't come along in time for me to formulate any true appreciation for it (i.e. my teenage years). Up to that point, I was wallowing in the typical classic rock foisted on me by the times (Doobie Bros., Allman Bros., Loggins & Messina, ad nauseam). I was in danger of discovering Bob Seger's back catalog when a friend granted me a listen to PFM's Chocolate Kings and Genesis' A Trick of the Tail. Enlightenment was reached, and I never looked back.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 12:08
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

The one reason why Metal eclipses Prog I can think of is this:

It is the way of the world that the ones who sw**k loudest shout down the others.
Case in point - check out the ad banners on PA at any given time.  Metal is really good at promoting itself.  And yeah, metal fans are generally pretty "out-front" about their tastes, to put it diplomatically.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 12:10
Of course, as is the case with prog, metal comes in MANY different flavors.  I'm thinking mostly of the "stereotypical" types for the sake of simplicity.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Friday13th
Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 12:36
I started seriously obsessing over music with metal, so I do love metal. I never really liked the extreme metal direction, so I stuck to early/proto metal, thrash, power metal, and prog metal. But prog...it just seems to have way more variety and fewer boundaries. It's true what rogerthat mentioned about pop, because that's one of the reasons I relate to prog fans more than metal fans.
Both reject mainstream pop but for different reasons.
1. To metal fans, the opposite of pop is being dark, shocking, and tough/masculine.
2. To proggers, the opposite of mainstream pop is being creative, unpredictable, and boundary pushing, which usually come off as less catchy.
Even when I only listened to metal, it needed to meet the latter criteria for me to accept it, whereas the former was an afterthought. That's why I made the switch, I think. As for some of the ten reasons, I'd agree with some. It's definitely "cooler" and gets more chicks, and definitely singers like Rob Halford totally slay every vocalist in prog (though even he was influenced by Peter Hammill). However, I wouldn't say the instrumental playing is necessarily better. It can get repetitive playing metal and not very creative. I think it was Rob Zombie who said every metal band gets their riffs from Sabbath, and while that's not entirely true (more like from Schizoid Man haha), I agree with the sentiment that playing minor key, distorted riffs is nothing new and has become overdone.
I also strongly disagree with the lyrics being better. I typically only really cared for the sound of metal, and the few bands I liked lyrically were the more literate, thought-provoking bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica. There's so much more to life than death, the devil, fist-pumping, and all those metal cliches that many fall into. It's not that prog doesn't have it's standard themes, but I don't think prog necessitates any theme. It's that prog themes will go wherever mainstream culture has left a gap.

Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 13:58
  1. Opeth
  2. Meshuggah
  3. Athiest
  4. Death
  5. Cynic
  6. Between the Buried and Me
  7. Delinger Escape Plan
  8. Voivod
  9. Enslaved
  10. Edge of Insanity

Ten more reasons why metal eclipses prog. Wink

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 14:07
well, i think metal was more popular than prog from the beginning, even though they crossed multiple times since then.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: twseel
Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 14:26
1. Metal is not weird.

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 18:06
It wasn't true in the seventies though unless you count Purple and Zep as metal.

Metal was actually something that grew out of punk and heavy rock music. Best of both worlds?

Prog as a collective movement died towards the end of the seventies and was eventually replaced by neo prog and prog metal. It could be argued that neo is just a pale imitation while the true evolution of prog rock can be found in bands like Dream Theater , Iron Maiden and latterly Tool and Opeth. Sitting inbetween these are Threshold , Anathema and even Porcupine Tree. This is really where its at if you are looking at a movement All the weird stuff that is called prog including Radiohead is just very idiosyncratic music that cannot really be labelled so it gets called prog or art rock.Its not a movement though so can hardly be pulled together and be trumped by something that has evolved. Basic metal is not worth bothering with imo but presumably survives because its simple and is based on image much like tons of pop music.

End of ramble.

and sorry I didn't answer the questionLOL

Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 18:07
^Ah, what was the question?

-------------

Date Posted: October 30 2014 at 18:10
^My wife keeps shouting Black Sabbath because we met at a Sabbath concert! Ok, dear:

Black Sabbath!

It's only one reason but for her it's enough!

Date Posted: October 31 2014 at 12:51
Public Service Announcement: I had fun with this post but I think it's time that members start to realize that PA recognizes metal genres like tech/extreme/death and move out of the Genesis/KC/Yes/ELP/Tull/Neo Prog only trance and wake up. The barbarians are no longer at the gates but within the walls. If the sub genre Progressive Metal doesn't register with people, what will? I think it's also insulting to the Prog Metal and Extreme/Tech contributors of PA who do such a great job and have turned me on to many metal bands. You guy's rule!

-------------

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: October 31 2014 at 13:24
Thanks man...now it's time to slap on some Janis Ian and GET CRAAZZZYYY!!! http://www.sherv.net/" rel="nofollow">

Evil Smile

Posted By: CosmicVibration
Date Posted: October 31 2014 at 13:27

Metal never gave me any euphoric chill factor like progressive rock  (Magma included as prog) and fusion jazz does .  Once in a while i do listen to metal, however, I can’t think of a single reason of how it would eclipse prog for me.

If metal is earthly pleasure then prog would be heavenly pleasure. Smile

Posted By: bloodnarfer
Date Posted: October 31 2014 at 14:05
The only metal-heads I know are really into things like Children of Bodom and All That Remains.  They seem to think metal is more complex, difficult to play, interesting, and musical, than regular music.  They actually have a bit of an elitist attitude similar to a lot of prog fans.  

Most metal seems to rub me the wrong way at the moment, but I have found some really cool things in the post-metal and modern black-metal scenes.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ramza1316" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/user/ramza1316
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: October 31 2014 at 14:33
Metal eclipses prog from a popularity perspective only. As long a you are prepared to move out of the Symph - neo space into psyche, RIO, Zeuhl, Metal, Fusion there's loads of good stuff going on and plenty to explore. I like a lot of Metal but it tends to be the instrumental stuff with an avant edge.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: October 31 2014 at 14:47
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It wasn't true in the seventies though unless you count Purple and Zep as metal.
Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, AC/DC, Rainbow, Judas Priest and yes I count Purple & Zeppelin.

Metal was actually something that grew out of punk and heavy rock music. Best of both worlds?

Er no, it came from the psyche & blues bands (Hendrix, Cream, Vanilla Fudge) in the 60's and evolved with Zep, Purple & Sabbath

Prog as a collective movement died towards the end of the seventies and was eventually replaced by neo prog and prog metal. It could be argued that neo is just a pale imitation while the true evolution of prog rock can be found in bands like Dream Theater , Iron Maiden and latterly Tool and Opeth. Sitting inbetween these are Threshold , Anathema and even Porcupine Tree. This is really where its at if you are looking at a movement All the weird stuff that is called prog including Radiohead is just very idiosyncratic music that cannot really be labelled so it gets called prog or art rock.Its not a movement though so can hardly be pulled together and be trumped by something that has evolved. Basic metal is not worth bothering with imo but presumably survives because its simple and is based on image much like tons of pop music.

Dear God where to start, it died down at the end of the seventies, the candle was kept alight by some neo bands & went underground where the real progressive activity was going on in Avant, Psyche, Fusion, Electronic, and the various progressive forms of metal. It has re-emerged in the 00's & 10's with an incredibly vibrant scene across a wide range of sub genres which have nothing to do with classic Yes or Genesis.

Just because you don't classify those bands as prog doesn't stop a large proportion of us doing exactly that.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: October 31 2014 at 14:51
Behold The Arctopus
Combat Astronomy
Animals As Leaders
Zevious
Electric Masada
Alamaailman Vasarat
Mr Bungle
Guapo
Tool
Unexpect
Stolen Babies

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: October 31 2014 at 16:13
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Metal eclipses prog from a popularity perspective only. As long a you are prepared to move out of the Symph - neo space into psyche, RIO, Zeuhl, Metal, Fusion there's loads of good stuff going on and plenty to explore. I like a lot of Metal but it tends to be the instrumental stuff with an avant edge.

This (and the following two posts too)Clap. In any case, one may not be a huge fan of prog metal, and at the same time have left the Prog=Symph/Neo mindset well behind. While I admit to not being  thrilled by most progressive metal (especially the one that has Dream Theater as its point of origin), I am left equally cold by most "retro" bands. A lot of the really great stuff that can be found under today's capacious "prog" umbrella is very unconventional according to traditional criteria.

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: October 31 2014 at 16:19
Don't rate metal at all. Melodically and vocally atrocious

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: October 31 2014 at 16:38
In opposition to the original post I submit PA's Top Ten from it's List of All-time Greatest Studio Albums with their accumulation of nearly 26,000 ratings and reviews. I can assure you that when I joined this site in 2008 or 9 there had not been nearly a quarter of these numbers.
     Of course, in favor of the OP: this is a website dedicated to progressive rock in general, not just the metal sub genres. 

My top 10 list in disagreement with the OP's assertion:
1. The definition of metal is too ambiguous. 
2. Led Zeppelin is a blues band.
3. Most metal, like "Hocus Pocus," makes me laugh and, therefore, is difficult to be taken seriously.
4. Most metal if listened to in order to hear all of its layers, makes my brain hurt
5. By "eclipses" do you mean "to place [prog] in its shadow"? If so, I don't see it. Maybe a partial eclipse--like at sunset, when I put my skinny fist up in the air between the sun and the rising blood moon on the horizon behind me . . . that kind of eclipse.  
6. Masaru Emoto has scientifically demonstrated (Messages from Water) that metal music is deleterious to the integrity of structures that support health and well-being. (A moment of silence, please, for the Oct 17 passing of this compassionate human being.)
7. Christopher Bird (The Secret Life of Plantsscientifically demonstrated that metal music is deleterious and to the health and well-being of living things.
8. Metal artists must be without compassion otherwise they would not play music that purposely makes people's ears and brains hurt.
9. Life is too short to waste time on trying to figure out what metal artists are trying to say with their music
10. Metal is a passing phase that one grows out of once one figures out how to enjoy peace, quiet, and silence.

Am I right, or am I right?

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: October 31 2014 at 17:00

[COLOR=#990000]Public Service Announcement:I had fun with this post but I think it's time that members start to realize that PA recognizes metal genres like tech/extreme/death and move out of the Genesis/KC/Yes/ELP/Tull/Neo Prog only trance and wake up. The barbarians are no longer at the gates but within the walls. If the sub genre Progressive Metal doesn't register with people, what will? I think it's also insulting to the Prog Metal and Extreme/Tech contributors of PA who do such a great job and have turned me on to many metal bands. You guy's rule!

Run for 'z hills!

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: October 31 2014 at 17:31
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

In opposition to the original post I submit PA's Top Ten from it's List of All-time Greatest Studio Albums with their accumulation of nearly 26,000 ratings and reviews. I can assure you that when I joined this site in 2008 or 9 there had not been nearly a quarter of these numbers.
     Of course, in favor of the OP: this is a website dedicated to progressive rock in general, not just the metal sub genres. 

3. Most metal, like "Hocus Pocus," makes me laugh and, therefore, is difficult to be taken seriously.
4. Most metal if listened to in order to hear all of its layers, makes my brain hurt
5. By "eclipses" do you mean "to place [prog] in its shadow"? If so, I don't see it. Maybe a partial eclipse--like at sunset, when I put my skinny fist up in the air between the sun and the rising blood moon on the horizon behind me . . . that kind of eclipse.  
6. Masaru Emoto has scientifically demonstrated (Messages from Water) that metal music is deleterious to the integrity of structures that support health and well-being. (A moment of silence, please, for the Oct 17 passing of this compassionate human being.)
7. Christopher Bird (The Secret Life of Plantsscientifically demonstrated that metal music is deleterious and to the health and well-being of living things.
8. Metal artists must be without compassion otherwise they would not play music that purposely makes people's ears and brains hurt.
9. Life is too short to waste time on trying to figure out what metal artists are trying to say with their music
10. Metal is a passing phase that one grows out of once one figures out how to enjoy peace, quiet, and silence.

You reminded me of something quite true that Robert Fripp said: "Some people find the silence unbearable because they have excessive noise inside themselves"

P.S.: I had to translate the phrase from spanish as I don't have it in english.

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: October 31 2014 at 18:28

No. Wink

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Date Posted: October 31 2014 at 21:47

Point no.1 is applicable even more in the case of prog than metal.  For better or worse, metalheads draw a firm line as to how far is too far away from metal.  The confusion is largely a creation of the media and not the metal community.  

Point no.2 is inconsequential to the distinction.  No metalhead in their right mind would call LZ a metal band.  Black Sabbath/Purple is as far as it gets.  Even UFO, which do have a lot of proto-metal in their music, are not accepted as metal.  

Points no. 3, 4,8, 9 and 10 sum up how non-prog listening music fans generally regard prog.  Only in that case, they are supposed to be wrong and prog knows best, eh?  

Even with my prog hat on, I would question the need to constantly embrace a "more is more" philosophy to music.  There are a lot of prog rock bands that could do with learning how to express themselves with the fewest notes required.  A lot of them indulge in overkill or, to put it less kindly, seek an excuse to display the full extent of their technical prowess.  Which, in a way, is no different from metal.  

I love prog but I cannot fathom why on earth would anybody want to listen to just prog all their life.  That's just as limiting as listening to metal and only metal all the time. 

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: November 01 2014 at 04:29

Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, AC/DC, Rainbow, Judas Priest and yes I count Purple & Zeppelin.

Er no, it came from the psyche & blues bands (Hendrix, Cream, Vanilla Fudge) in the 60's and evolved with Zep, Purple & Sabbath

Dear God where to start, it died down at the end of the seventies, the candle was kept alight by some neo bands & went underground where the real progressive activity was going on in Avant, Psyche, Fusion, Electronic, and the various progressive forms of metal. It has re-emerged in the 00's & 10's with an incredibly vibrant scene across a wide range of sub genres which have nothing to do with classic Yes or Genesis.

Just because you don't classify those bands as prog doesn't stop a large proportion of us doing exactly that.

I have always thought there was a large distinction between heavy metal and heavy rock. Metal only got started with Judas Priest and Motorhead. Priest were the link band between the two.

Yes I can classify what I consider to be prog just as you canSmile , I admitted that my comments were a bit of a ramble and not meant to be too serious. Just stuff in my head.

Date Posted: November 01 2014 at 04:38
Hang on, do people actually think there IS a prog MOVEMENT as of the present day?  Yes, there are prog rock bands but it's not a movement.  NWOBHM was a movement.  Pysch rock in the 60s in America was a movement.  Bay area thrash metal was a movement in the 80s.  Playing bay area thrash metal today would only reflect a stylistic preference, not the rebirth of bay area thrash as a scene.  I have watched a band play Bay Area thrash in a small club down here in India, no kidding.  If prog actually was a movement today, there would be so many musicians and so many albums that it would be impossible to ignore, just as was the case in the 70s.  As richardh said, there was some sort of a prog metal movement in the 90s.  I am not sure to what extent that lives on either.  

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: November 01 2014 at 08:57
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Point no.1 is applicable even more in the case of prog than metal.  For better or worse, metalheads draw a firm line as to how far is too far away from metal.  The confusion is largely a creation of the media and not the metal community.  

Point no.2 is inconsequential to the distinction.  No metalhead in their right mind would call LZ a metal band.  Black Sabbath/Purple is as far as it gets.  Even UFO, which do have a lot of proto-metal in their music, are not accepted as metal.  

Points no. 3, 4,8, 9 and 10 sum up how non-prog listening music fans generally regard prog.  Only in that case, they are supposed to be wrong and prog knows best, eh?  

Even with my prog hat on, I would question the need to constantly embrace a "more is more" philosophy to music.  There are a lot of prog rock bands that could do with learning how to express themselves with the fewest notes required.  A lot of them indulge in overkill or, to put it less kindly, seek an excuse to display the full extent of their technical prowess.  Which, in a way, is no different from metal.  

I love prog but I cannot fathom why on earth would anybody want to listen to just prog all their life.  That's just as limiting as listening to metal and only metal all the time. 

Touché! 

But then, you couldn't see the tongue in my cheek as I wrote my original post.

Yes, classic prog lovers get a little myopic. And yes all the studies indicating negative effects of hard rock are equally applicable to prog--as it is too all pop and rock! When I was a kid growing up in Detroit, Led Zep was THE "heavy metal" band--with Tull and Sabbath on the next rung down! Seriously! 

I, too, have been able to find joy and appreciation in all genres of music--including all of the metal sub genres. I just saw this post as a chance to have some fun.

Are we having fun yet?

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: November 01 2014 at 09:04
Your scientific studies thing was a give away in any case; I didn't think you would seriously believe that.  Just saying at least come up with points that don't work against prog.  But then, that's hard.  There's no reason why heavy metal wouldn't be more popular than PROG.  It wouldn't be more popular than classic rock or pop because of how heavy it is, duh, but prog faces a losing battle.

Date Posted: November 01 2014 at 19:08
Sabbath only had 2 metal songs in the 70s and I don't really like those

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: November 01 2014 at 20:17
Prog destroys metal. 

End of argument. 

Posted By: Kentucky_Hawkwindage
Date Posted: November 01 2014 at 20:21

^My wife keeps shouting Black Sabbath because we met at a Sabbath concert! Ok, dear:

Black Sabbath!

It's only one reason but for her it's enough!
Dam your lucky to have a wife shouting for Black Sabbath-my ex was just the opposite!LOL

-------------
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: November 01 2014 at 21:03

Exactly! Its a simpler more immediate, physical form of prog. 
Better singers, YES absolutely without a question but for the rest I beg to differ ! 
bass in prog is miles ahead, jazz drummers are way more "groovy" and keyboards are not even worth contesting ! 
Guitarists are probably even, but many can crossover to either side (Fripp, Satriani, Vai, Lifeson etc....). 

Plus metal, like blues and jazz is way better appreciated in a live setting . 
Prog is earphone heaven, a personal experience.   

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: November 01 2014 at 22:08

#1. The definitions of 'definition' and of 'ambiguous' are ambiguous as well
#2. Agreed
#3. Some smirk-worthy stuff here: http://weknowmemes.com/2012/05/heavy-metal-band-name-generator/
#4. Self-inflicted misery
## 6 & 7. So is love
#9. Does anyone try to do that?
#10. My impression as well. I never "loved" metal to begin with; I do have a dozen or two albums, but I haven't played them for decades. Literally.  

Date Posted: November 01 2014 at 22:25
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Sabbath only had 2 metal songs in the 70s and I don't really like those

Confused Heaven and Hell was released in 1979 and the whole album was metal.

Date Posted: November 01 2014 at 22:31
So were Paranoid, MOR, Vol4, SBS and Sabotage when they were released, it's revisionist to say they weren't.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: November 01 2014 at 22:33
Absolutely.  Just saying that even if his point is "only NWOBHM onwards is real metal", they did that too.  

Date Posted: November 02 2014 at 00:20
Heaven and hell was heavy/hard rock. Not metal

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2014 at 00:22
The song Sab bloody Sab is metal. Weakest song on the album

-------------

Posted By: SolarChaser
Date Posted: November 02 2014 at 06:19
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

The song Sab bloody Sab is metal. Weakest song on the album

No, it's not metal. The whole album (including the title track) is far from metal. Sabbath's first 4 albums have a lot of tracks, which are a lot more metal (while still not beign actual metal) than that one. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath has even those soft, jazzy passages. Not saying it's a bad song, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is my fav Black Sabbath album.

Date Posted: November 02 2014 at 06:20
It's very interesting that he thinks Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is metal but not Heaven and Hell.  Ah, ze doctor's opinions never cease to amaze me.

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: November 02 2014 at 06:42
Apart stupid vocals, stupid guitar w**kery, and a tendency to subdivide itself into numerous subgenres which all sound the blimmin' same to most of us, I quite like metal.  But it's inferior to Prog Folk, it's inferior to Space Rock, it's inferior to Avant Garde, it's inferior to Canterbury, it's inferior to Kosmische, it's inferior to Prog Funk/Soul, and it's inferior to ...oh, y'know, that other one people go on and on and on about....

in my opinion Tongue

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Date Posted: November 02 2014 at 08:19
You guys clearly think Metal started a lot later than the early 70's. It got a lot heavier as it evolved but those 70's bands were certainly known as Metal at the time.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: November 02 2014 at 08:22
Metal began on August 7, 2003...everybody knows that. Everything before that was 'soft rock'. Master Of Puppets is a classic Soft Rock album.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Date Posted: November 02 2014 at 08:24
I think of Motorhead - No Sleep Til Hammersmith as soft rock.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: November 02 2014 at 08:29
Oh yes, and Slayer's Reign in Blood is my favourite candlelit dinner musicTongue!

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: November 02 2014 at 08:41
I think imo that if you just watch some of the episodes of Sam Dunns "Metal Evolution" spessialy early metal, progresive metal, and UK scene, and probably also thrash metal part, you get a sence as where both prog and metal have similar parants, but also how they ditract and what makes the metal society so facinating, i have not been to Wacken but its something to do if you would like to observe the metal crowd, and go to a prog-fest and then compare, neither of them beets comic-con though :/ in dedication XD

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2014 at 13:02
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Prog destroys metal. 

End of argument. 
OMG! I better warn Ozzy, Geezer and Tony, ASAP! LOL

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 02 2014 at 13:06

1. Opeth
  2. Meshuggah
  3. Athiest
  4. Death
  5. Cynic
  6. Between the Buried and Me
  7. Delinger Escape Plan
  8. Voivod
  9. Enslaved
  10. Edge of Insanity

Ten more reasons why metal eclipses prog. Wink

Hmm....the only band on that list I can listen to is Opeth, and  mostly the later ones by them.
I must be hardwired to dislike 'metal'.
LOL

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: November 02 2014 at 13:18
Here's five cogent reasons:

1. The growling loosens one's bowels.
2. Lars Ulrich is such an articulate advocate of the genre.
3. The double basses keep many in the drum industry employed.
4. Satanic lyrics are so profound, even if you can't understand what the vocalist is singing.
5. It makes 14 year-olds feel rebellious.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: November 03 2014 at 12:53
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Here's five cogent reasons:

1. The growling loosens one's bowels.
2. Lars Ulrich is such an articulate advocate of the genre.
3. The double basses keep many in the drum industry employed.
4. Satanic lyrics are so profound, even if you can't understand what the vocalist is singing.
5. It makes 14 year-olds feel rebellious.
OMG, I better warn Ozzy, Geezer and Tony, ASAP! LOL

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: November 03 2014 at 17:50

Prog destroys metal. 

End of argument. 

No need, I already did.  They thanked me.  At least Ozzy, Geezer and Tony had the good taste to record with Rick Wakeman. 

Date Posted: November 05 2014 at 09:16
^And Wakeman did it for a case of beer. Prog always was classier than Metal. LOL

Date Posted: November 05 2014 at 09:34

Prog destroys metal. 

End of argument. 

No need, I already did.  They thanked me.  At least Ozzy, Geezer and Tony had the good taste to record with Rick Wakeman. 

I know that Ozzy guest starred on Journey To the Center of the Earth 2, but what album (project) did the other two share with Wakeman?

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: November 05 2014 at 10:31

Prog destroys metal. 

End of argument. 

I know that Ozzy guest starred on Journey To the Center of the Earth 2, but what album (project) did the other two share with Wakeman?

Rick played on "Sabbra Cadabra" from Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: November 05 2014 at 10:39
Metal and hard rock albums used to have great cover art. Not so much anymore.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: November 05 2014 at 10:57
How about 3?

1) Metal is basically just rock music amplified and bludgeoned. Folks were and are in tune with the genre before they even know it. 
2) Metal is not strange. 
3) Metal's got chicks in leather. Prog's got Ruth Underwood in a Mick Jagger inspired top shredding a xylophone.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: November 05 2014 at 11:17
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Prog destroys metal. 

End of argument. 

Rick played on "Sabbra Cadabra" from Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

Of course! The one I still don't have.

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: November 05 2014 at 11:17
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

3) Metal's got chicks in leather. Prog's got Ruth Underwood in a Mick Jagger inspired top shredding a xylophone.

Honestly, I still prefer Ruth. Embarrassed

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: November 09 2014 at 11:50
"Top 10 Reasons Dubstep is superior to Prog"
"Top 10 Reasons New-Age Music is superior to Johan-Sebastian Bach"
"Top 10 Reasons Heavy Metal should be erased from Earth"
"Top 10 Reasons the music I listen to is better than the music other people listen to"

...see what I mean?

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: November 09 2014 at 12:13
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

1. BWAAAH-WHAA-BWAA
2. WEEEOOOH-WAH
3. WUB-WUB-WUB
4. BWAAAAM-BWAAH
5. MIB-MIB-MIB
6. DOH-WAAAAHM
7. JEH-JEH-JEH
8. BWEEOOOOWM
9. WOAH-OWWWWW
10. GIDDY-GIDDY

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: November 09 2014 at 13:18
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Prog's got Ruth Underwood in a Mick Jagger inspired top shredding a xylophone.

You must be referring to the tropicasual dress code, seen in the first 20-something seconds of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSavN19ZJ4g

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: November 09 2014 at 13:30
That's probably why most people immediately refer Dream Theater when I say that I listen to Progressive Rock.

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: November 09 2014 at 13:32
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

I only need one reason for that.

Posted By: Goodsir
Date Posted: November 09 2014 at 15:08
I don't really see the point in comparing two extremely large and expansive sub-genres of rock when there are so many releases, both good and bad, in both. The only way that one can accurately say one is better than the other is if they heard every release from both genres and compared them. (which is impossible pmuch anyways) And even if someone did actually manage to do that, it's still entirely subjective. 

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: November 10 2014 at 06:01
Why does pop eclipse metal?

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: November 10 2014 at 06:21
focusing on songcraft and hooks, songs and lyrics takes focal point, and its evident that like bands liek Genesis wich consits of 5 genreally good actualy song-writrers, in their own part, its no strange they also become popular, but they were expert in fusing songcraft With stellar instrumentation, and take ASIA, strong instrumentation, but after debute album songcraft left the window, Genesis managed to develop their Craft as songcraft and adjusting their instrumental prowes. Also songwriting is integral in metal more so then in prog also.

-------------

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: November 11 2014 at 20:55
No, actually, prog is more about songcraft. Metal is about riffs.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk