Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100360
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 22:17
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Best Song from The Lamb
Posted By: Michael678
Subject: Best Song from The Lamb
Date Posted: November 19 2014 at 18:06
a day too late, i know, but yesterday marks the actual 40th anniversary of this much-beloved album (one that i need to listen to all of again one of these days). That's why i decided to make this poll: to see which of these tracks is the best of the bunch in this weird concept album (and one i still don't get too, nor understand what's going on in it; i would like some insight on that please). So, which one's the one to go to for you? for me, it's the title track (the first Gabriel-Era Genesis song i have ever heard actually) followed by The Carpet Crawlers and then Counting Out Time.

-------------
Progrockdude

Replies:
Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: November 19 2014 at 18:16
My favorite Genesis song: In the Cage. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: November 19 2014 at 18:28
Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats, followed by Riding the Scree and third The Lamia.

Having this said, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is maybe the best opener for a Genesis album, along with Down And Out for ATTWT and Watcher Of The Skies for Fotrot, it would be tough to decide a best if there was a poll like this.

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: November 19 2014 at 19:24
Love this masterpiece---Fly, Lamia, It, Back in NYC, Chamber, Riding the Scree ---all have a special place in my heart---but the album as a whole is amazing art. 

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: November 19 2014 at 19:28
This is my favorite Genesis album, finally beating out Selling England a few years ago after I got to see The Musical Box perform it in totality.  So the highlights are many, but my absolute favorite that I return to again and again is...
Hairless Heart

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: November 19 2014 at 19:37
Lilith today.

-------------

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: November 19 2014 at 20:17

For me personally, there are only 2 tracks on this album that reach the heights of their previous albums: The Carpet Crawlers and Anyway. I went with Anyway, but could've gone with the other one just as well.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 19 2014 at 20:28
Most of these could take the title.

But The Lamia for now.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Ozark Soundscape
Date Posted: November 19 2014 at 21:05
I think the Lamia. It's such an enchanting, gorgeous track; very engrossing atmosphere.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 19 2014 at 21:52
This is rather difficult for me... but this time rather because this is my least favourite album from the classic era, and I can think of no song that really reaches the heights of the best songs from the previous 3 albums. The Cage must be the one that gets closer, though. As for The Lamia, which is winning at the time, I very much prefer Hackett's version on Genesis Revisited 2, with more pleasant vocals and added instrumental passages... he really fixed that song for me.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 19 2014 at 23:43
No love for Slippermen ?? Well I guess there's some now

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: November 19 2014 at 23:57
I would have voted for "The Lamia", but "The Carpet Crawlers" needs a vote too.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 01:37
A number of great songs but I always pick Carpet Crawlers. Love the imagery and atmosphere which is a feature of the whole album. 

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 02:19
OK what's it all about. A surreal fantasy of a Puerto Rican male breaking through a fantasy world in New York that is paralleled by male fears (losing the cherished member to a bird) and the endless choices (almost all bad) that he has to make to get though the other side. In the end it's rock and roll that saves the day (clearly not a contemporary release). It's only knock and know all with it's ironic reference to the Stones. It's a bizarre comedy well illustrated lyrically and soundtracked musically.

It got my vote. Love it.

Now I'm going back to Seconds Out. Afterglow's on and that is....

see ya.

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 02:36
Broadway Melody of 1974

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 03:02
1. Riding the Scree
2. In the Cage
3. The Colony of Slippermen
4. Fly on a Windshield
5. Back in N.Y.C.

-------------

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 05:42
In the cage

-------------

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 05:55
The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 07:27
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

A number of great songs but I always pick Carpet Crawlers. Love the imagery and atmosphere which is a feature of the whole album. 

this.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 07:38
Fly on a windshield.
Always.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 07:50
Slippermen!!!

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 08:22
the Lamia
Anyway
In the Rapids
Chamber of 32 Door
Carpet Crawlers

-------------

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 08:39
Far too many to choose from such an outstanding album!
For the sake of this poll, my current favorite is Hairless Heart.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 08:40
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

This is my favorite Genesis album, finally beating out Selling England a few years ago after I got to see The Musical Box perform it in totality.  So the highlights are many, but my absolute favorite that I return to again and again is...
Hairless Heart

LOVE Hairless Heart too! Great music by Steve--and Steve's version a few years back live was very moving.

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 09:35
Definitely The Lamia.  And then Fly On A Windshield and Riding The Scree. And then... well there are a lot of great songs. But Lamia wins anyway.

-------------

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 10:28
And I'm hovering like a fly...

Posted By: Roland113
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 11:06
This is such a great album, it's hard to choose just one.  I love "Fly on a Windshield", "In the Cage" is one of Mr. Banks' best solos ever and "The Waiting room" was my foray into experimental music but time and time again, I come back to "The Chamber of 32 Doors" as it seems to me some of Peter Gabriel's most emotional vocals.  You can almost hear the pain in his voice every time that he pleads, "Can you help me?"

-------------
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 11:20
There's Howard Hugues in ...

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 11:54
I've always been partial to the "Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging."

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 12:13
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

As for The Lamia, which is winning at the time, I very much prefer Hackett's version on Genesis Revisited 2, with more pleasant vocals and added instrumental passages... he really fixed that song for me.

I don't have it and didn't find it either on YouTube, but I would agree with you, as I found the Hackett's official live video (below) as well way better than the studio track, Steve Rothery working together with him on a beautiful closing guitar solos make a big difference on this live performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6XjFbTsMNFg" rel="nofollow -

In my opinion needless to say that these sorts of brilliant Hackett's guitar passages are one of the main highlights off this album, Here Comes the Supernatural Anaesthetist is for me a perfect example of his innumerable stunning contributions.

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 12:32
I thought 'Chamber' was particularly well crafted, but pick it.

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 12:55

So many to chose from.  But, I nearly always go for the progressive hypocrites handing out their trash as it was mine in the first place. 

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 13:31
The In the Cage medley from Three Sides Live (tracks 2-3 on side 3 of the LP) is essential listening.  The best 80s music the trio produced.  I love how the Lamb medley melted into Afterglow.

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 13:35
So many fantastic songs to choose from; Fly on a windshield, In the Cage, The Lamia...

This week I'll say Chamber of 32 doors. One of best Gabriel era songs, and my favourite PG vocal performance.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 14:15
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

So many to chose from.  But, I nearly always go for the progressive hypocrites handing out their trash as it was mine in the first place. 

Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 14:44
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Stern Smile

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 14:55
The Lamia by far; sublime guitar work!!

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: bloodnarfer
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 15:08
Idk if I can listen to just one song from this album without continuing and listening to the rest. It's very special to me, and my favorite prog album.

I could just as easily go with The Lamb Lies Down, Fly On The Windshield, Broadway Melody, In the Cage, Carpet Crawlers, The Lamia, Supernatural Anesthetist, or Slipperman... But it's going to have to be Back in N.Y.C. today!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ramza1316" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/user/ramza1316
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 15:12

Stern Smile

So, "Back In N.Y.C.", then?

As for me, another vote for the Slippermen.

Posted By: CryoftheCarrots
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 15:42
The song that never fails to bring a tear "The Lamia".
Of all the versions my favourite is the live Archive version. I love Steve's re recorded ending solo on that version better than his latest revisited effort.

-------------
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK

Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 15:45
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

Stern Smile

is that a rhetorical question?

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 15:58

Stern Smile

No, it's just that I recognized some of the lyrics from that track in your first post.

Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 16:07

Stern Smile

No, it's just that I recognized some of the lyrics from that track in your first post.

Well, its a yes. I love Back in NYC but then I love quite a few other tracks on the album and I would always try and listen to it as a whole - the whole is greater than the sum of its parts or something like that...

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 17:02
The Lamia.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: November 20 2014 at 20:24
The Lamia is the song that made me like Genesis, but, a much as I like it, I'm surprised it is the most popular choice.  I will have to look for the Hackett version

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: November 21 2014 at 08:47
^I don't like the vocal on the Revisited II album. It has a smooth flowing operatic feel, which may be what appeals to some, but it feels disengaged from the story to me. If you play them side by side for someone new to the music, I'm willing to bet they could pick out which vocalist wrote the lyrics. That would be a very interesting experiment. I find all the Revisited II lyrics very more enjoyable on the live DVDs. That's my recommendation.

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: November 21 2014 at 10:54
In The Cage. One of Top 10 Gabriel era songs IMO and I like another version of this song in three side live. One of the best live performance of genesis trio in 80's era.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: November 21 2014 at 11:36
As a kid I once checked out The Lamb side A+B in my dad's record collection. I didn't enjoy it very muh except I found Fly on a Windshield beautiful. I like the album more now but that song is still a favorite.

Didn't know the The Lamia was considered a standout at all. I always thought it suffered from having a storyline to follow. Too close to a musical (which of course is what it is) approach where the the lyrics seem more important than the music itself. To me its not even a real song. 

-------------

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: November 21 2014 at 15:32
Really difficult.
I chose Fly On A Windshield, but it could also have been Broadway Melody of 1974, Hairless Heart or The Lamia.
The many different votes show how good the album is. There are so many songs to be liked! 

Date Posted: November 21 2014 at 16:45
I question why there's no votes for Ravine and in The Rapids ?? The others Cuckoo, counting Time etc. I can understand no votes. It is a darn excellent album overall...

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: November 21 2014 at 17:26
i would have voted for In the Rapids werent it for Lamia or Anyways, but anways, i think In the Rapids is gorgious

-------------

Date Posted: November 21 2014 at 19:16
^ Iccy - you

Posted By: bloodnarfer
Date Posted: November 21 2014 at 19:30

As for The Lamia, I very much prefer Hackett's version on Genesis Revisited 2, with more pleasant vocals and added instrumental passages... he really fixed that song for me.

Sick
Nik Kershaw has all the added benefit of sounding like a karaoke singer with a clothespin over his nose Smile

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ramza1316" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/user/ramza1316
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: November 22 2014 at 04:52
Stuck between 32 Doors, Anyway, Riding The Scree, Lamia, Cuckoo Cocoon and a few others Confused

Guess I'll go Riding The Scree, mainly for that crazy keyboard solo, but it's all brilliant.

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: November 22 2014 at 08:48
Gotta go with "Carpet Crawlers".  That insistent keyboard riff, that subtle buildup....

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: November 22 2014 at 12:08
Not really possible to pick a favorite as I like the whole album, so I voted for Silent Sorrow In Empty Boats.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: progrockdeepcuts
Date Posted: November 22 2014 at 13:25
Back in NYC, Anyway

-------------

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: November 22 2014 at 14:12
I like some Lamb better in live versions, BTW
I prefer Carpet Crawlers in the Seconds Out version, and In The Cage in the Three Sides Live version.

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: November 22 2014 at 20:49
Didn't know the The Lamia was considered a standout at all. I always thought it suffered from having a storyline to follow. Too close to a musical (which of course is what it is) approach where the the lyrics seem more important than the music itself. To me its not even a real song. 
[/QUOTE]

Interesting! While the music could stand very well on its own, the singing is, to my ears, like poetry: an added instrument of beauty. I do not hear, on know, the words, but Gabriel's enunciation and emotional use of alliteration, rhythm and rhyme make this one of my favorite vocals of all-time--as well as my favorite Genesis song. Phil's amazing drum work, some of Hackett's best soloing . . . It is no surprise to me that this song has such a popular appeal.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 22 2014 at 20:49
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

<span style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px; : rgb248, 248, 252;">As for The Lamia, </span>I very much prefer Hackett's version on Genesis Revisited 2, with more pleasant vocals and added instrumental passages... he really fixed that song for me.

Sick
Nik Kershaw has all the added benefit of sounding like a karaoke singer with a clothespin over his nose Smile

I would have to listen to it again to see if there's anything about your statement that I might agree, but I don't remember anything to bother me about the vocals. On the other hand, Peter Gabriel has been an aquired taste... not that I particularly like his singing anyway, but at least I tolerate them in order to enjoy the wonderful music from the band. I mean, his voice is just not pleasant, nor does he have much power, nor reaches any particularly difficult notes, nor is his soft singing pleasant either... just nothing for me to enjoy him. Though, actually, I do enjoy him much better in the few live versions I've heard... perhaps because he has to concentrate better on actually singing and doesn't have much chance to concentrate on his theatrical vocals. So, in the end, any oportunity to listen to Gabriel era Genesis songs with other vocalists is an oportunity I prefer not to miss.

Date Posted: November 22 2014 at 20:52
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

i would have voted for In the Rapids werent it for Lamia or Anyways, but anways, i think In the Rapids is gorgious

Agree on all points!

-------------
Drew Fisher

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 00:13
Counting out Time.

Just kidding.

Because the album is meant to be listened to as a whole, and is much greater than the sum of it's parts, it's hard to pick out individual tracks.  That being said, there are still some great individual songs on the album, but for me, the track that stands out for me the most is Anyway.  If you look at the Lamb as a rock opera, Anyway is the standout aria in a sea of recitative: the action stops, the story pauses, and you get to hear Gabriel (as Rael) reflect for a moment on his situation.  And it's phenomenal.  It has an expressive, catchy melody, propelled along by the tasteful underlying arpeggios, with a concise yet evocative emotional narrative.  Then, of course, you have the interlude, which beautifully develops the material both from the exposition of the song and from previous tracks.  It's one of those few pop songs that can hold it's own when compared with the classical art song tradition.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 02:59
The Carpet Crawlers

Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 10:15
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Counting out Time.

Just kidding.

I LOVE "Counting Out Time"!!! It is so clever, lyrically, and so perfectly reflective of teenage male sexual frustration--and it has banjo!! And the music perfectly reflects the awkward, out-of-control, fumbling feelings of beginner sex! Brilliant song! Sometimes I'll go out of my way just to listen to it so I can laugh while embarrassingly remembering those years long ago . . .

-------------
Drew Fisher

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 10:16
I listened to the Genesis Revisited stuff and it doesn't do much for me.  Too similar to the originals.  I'm not saying I would like it better if it was different, but at least I would see the point of doing it.  All very nice but I would rather just hear the originals with their original inspiration

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: November 23 2014 at 12:03
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Counting out Time.

Just kidding.

I LOVE "Counting Out Time"!!! It is so clever, lyrically, and so perfectly reflective of teenage male sexual frustration--and it has banjo!! And the music perfectly reflects the awkward, out-of-control, fumbling feelings of beginner sex! Brilliant song! Sometimes I'll go out of my way just to listen to it so I can laugh while embarrassingly remembering those years long ago . . .

Oh, I love it too; it's just that, with regard to compositional quality, per se, it's not really up there with "The Chamber" or "In the Cage," if you know what I mean.  But it is a brilliant piece of satire and works perfectly in the context of the album.  I used to hate it before I realized where the band was really trying to go with it, but now I think it works great on the album, and I love to show it to friends just to get the "WTF?" look on their faces when Gabriel starts singing about erogenous zones.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: November 24 2014 at 07:58
It's a wonderful album really, one of their best for sure.

As for my favourite track, amongst so many special ones I pick the most un-Genesis sounding track they ever made - The Waiting Room, almost Floyd-ish.  Very very close behind is the majestic Fly On A Windshield.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: November 24 2014 at 10:16
Title Track

just ahead of In the Cage for me

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: December 02 2014 at 20:09
No time for romantic escape, When your fluffy heart is ready for rape.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: April 10 2015 at 10:53
Because I finally got this album to click in my mind, I thought I revive this thread a bit. It's a six-way tie between: The title track, Counting Out Time, The Carpet Crawlers, The Chamber of 32 Doors, Anyway, and The Lamia. Rolled a die and got Anyway.

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: April 10 2015 at 13:55
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

Because I finally got this album to click in my mind, I thought I revive this thread a bit. It's a six-way tie between: The title track, Counting Out Time, The Carpet Crawlers, The Chamber of 32 Doors, Anyway, and The Lamia. Rolled a die and got Anyway.

interesting decision making there.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: April 10 2015 at 14:02
The opening track. In the Cage is good as well.

I don't understand why so many people prefer the Lamia. Actually I do understand, but I don't feel the same way.

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk