If a Genie granted you one Prog wish.

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100421
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 16:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: If a Genie granted you one Prog wish.
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: If a Genie granted you one Prog wish.
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 08:29
If a genie from a lamp (most likely a lava lamp) granted you ONE wish related to prog artists or prog music, what would it be?

And it could be whatever you want, but remember, you only have one wish.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the U. S. Beer

Replies:
Posted By: Walton Street
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 08:32

I wish i'd seen Strawbs 2 years ago when they apparently played in the tiny town I just moved to

-------------
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 08:41
please please please find a way to attract females with prog

Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 08:48
^I said a genie, not a genius.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 08:54
To have seen King Crimson several times in 1969 with the original lineup.....or better yet to have been a roadie with them on the whole tour.

Big smile

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 08:56
^Wow. I've had the same dream! I would have defiantly liked to  have seen KC in '69. And a roadie would have been bliss. 

-------------

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 08:58
My bassist is a girl and she is WAY into prog. More than any girl I've ever known. She loves Cardiacs and Spawn of Possession and Gorod and The Mars Volta and Arcturus and many many others.

But my prog wish would be to open up for The Mars Volta for a world tour.

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 09:00
^Does she have a sister?

-------------

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 09:11
Pink Floyd playing Atom Heart Mother, Echoes and DSOTM in the Valle de la Luna in my country. 

-------------

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 09:39
Classic Genesis back together, with Peter Gabriel not being bald anymore, so he can shave a piece of hair, shocking the audience (or the monkey) once again as in the old days.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 10:24
Yeah first wish would be classic Genesis doing The Lamb and Supper's Ready among other songs---Broken Heart

Second would be to see the two best Yes line-ups CTTE and Relayer guys tour together--2 drummers--2 keys along with Anderson, Howe, Squire. But think the genie bottle would explode in my hands while rubbing it to get that wish!LOL

Posted By: jazz2896
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 10:47
To see Magma in their 1973-74 lineup with Jannick Top.  I don't think the live documents could fully capture the entire live sound of that era, seeing it for itself must've been truly awe inspiring. Big smile

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 10:51
ELP gathered again and made an ultimate edition of "Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends" in my hometown! hahahaha this is really genuine.

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 11:08
Some great wishes posted here....
At this point, my wish is to have Magenta play here in Australia. Is it too much to ask ??

Posted By: AcquiredTheTaste
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 11:16
Frank Zappa comes back to life and conducts an Ensemble Moderne performance of the Yellow Shark in my lounge.

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 11:40
Seeing Genesis live in 1973.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 11:41
oke then...

Jimi Hendrix living through the progressive period of '70 - '74.

Posted By: Friday13th
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 11:49
Wish I saw King Crimson when they toured the U.S. this year.

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 11:54
Wish I had the bucks to buy more prog and the absolute best stereo system to hear it. 

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 12:34
No request from me, thanks, I have everything I need.

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 12:49
That Yes, Genesis, and Tull would create music as good as they did in their 70s heydays.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 12:55
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

No request from me, thanks, I have everything I need.

Ditto I suppose. I've seen my heroes live, have even met a few in person. I've done sound in some of the best sounding rooms in the country. What's really left?

Ok, if I did had "one" wish it would probably be to do sound for ELP on the Welcome Back tour, and maybe for Peter Gabriel on the Plays Live tour. Oh and for Yes on the Going For The One tour...all right... for any of them on any of their tours...who the hell am I trying to kid.Wink

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 13:08
One of my wishes really did come true.  I once wished that Magma would reform so I could see them perform "Kohntarkosz" and "MDK" live, and then go back in the studio and record some of those old pieces they never got around to recording (or never had the budget to record).   And then it happened, in that exact order.

Other vague wishes going thru my head:

A virtual reality helmet that can recreate the experience of seeing [band] in [year] at [venue] while doing [drug].  Cartridges available at your local Wal-Mart.

And on a more serious note, I wish Pink Floyd had not fractured the way they did, and that Waters, Mason, Wright and Gilmour had continued to innovate and top themselves well into the 80s and 90s, with creative masterpieces that make Dark Side sound like the Shaggs.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 13:58
wish i could go back to the late 60's-early 70's when music was at its peak (imho), whether it be prog or not.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 14:36
I wish for a complete set of pristine quality films and recordings of every Pink Floyd rehearsal, jam session, radio session, soundcheck, live gig and TV appearance that they ever did. 
No such thing exists, of course, but this is my wish.  Thankyou, O Genie!

If this is too much, just give me the first ten or  fifteen years.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 15:25
Go back to 1974 and see Triumvirat in concert in the USA several times, and then interview the band.

Posted By: fudgenuts64
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 16:19
See Genesis and Renaissance play live together in 1977 back to back 3 hour shows! THAT would be amazing!

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 16:25
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Wish I had the bucks to buy more prog and the absolute best stereo system to hear it. 

That and an all-star lineup of King Crimson playing in my living room some evening for me and a small group of friends (small living room-small crowd).

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 17:28
One wish, that the original (five) members of the Mahavishnu Orchestra would reform and do a tour.  They are all still alive and for the most part available.

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 17:44
Originally posted by AcquiredTheTaste AcquiredTheTaste wrote:

Frank Zappa comes back to life and conducts an Ensemble Moderne performance of the Yellow Shark in my lounge.

I would prefer he made new music.  And that he was completely restored to a healthy body - otherwise, ewww.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 18:08
hmmmm.....

funny because I enjoy good naturely picking on the group and its fans almost as much as Genesis/Camel.

that Rush had started 4 or 5 years earlier and had a longer traditional prog rock period ala the 1st gen prog rockers  before they went the way of arena AOR rock and limp dick 80's synth rock.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 18:16
My own wish? That the hugely talented modern prog bands that are active nowadays (especially here in the US) enjoyed as much support as their Seventies counterparts, instead of counting themselves lucky to play before 50 people.

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 18:27
I know that foxes eat ducks, but I would love to look like this one day

Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 18:30
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

My own wish? That the hugely talented modern prog bands that are active nowadays (especially here in the US) enjoyed as much support as their Seventies counterparts, instead of counting themselves lucky to play before 50 people.

interesting.. and an interesting discussion potentially to be had there.  Everyone agrees it is a different world today than it was then,  question is.. is that for the better or the worse. For the bands, for us the fans - the audience, for the music itself. All 3 separate entities each impacted by the fundamental changes in the way music is recorded, distributed, and marketed today.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 18:32
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

I know that foxes eat ducks, but I would love to look like this one day

haha.  Genesis couldn't even get that right

two words...

boob job or at least a couple pairs of tube socks LOL ClapThumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 19:10
I have a few wishes (though they aren't all prog):

To have been present at a Buddy Holly and The Crickets concert. 
To have been at Shea Stadium for The Beatles' concert there. 
To have attended a Doors concert. 
To have seen Tull perform A Passion Play live.
To have been present at a Santana concert on the Moonflower tour.
To be present at a Magma event at which they play the Theusz Hamtaahk Trilogy.
To have been present at a Jam concert.
To have a week to shadow Francesco Zago.
To be Ryuichi Sakamoto's valet, personal secretary, or best friend.
To hang out with Carlos Playa and the Kotebel crew for a month.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 19:17
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Just wondering, which Jam? The mod cons, or the Justified Ancients of Mu Mu? Both were awesome.

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 21:30
To sit around with Robert Wyatt and/or Brian Eno and make funny noises.

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: November 26 2014 at 22:10
Though it is an American holiday, I wouldn't reserve the celebration or giving thanks only to those who are in the US.

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

If a genie from a lamp (most likely a lava lamp) granted you ONE wish related to prog artists or prog music, what would it be?

Make me born in England in late 40's, so that I could found a group that could jump on the prog bandwagon.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: November 27 2014 at 08:33
To play guitar like Martin Barre.

Posted By: twalsh
Date Posted: November 27 2014 at 09:22
A local Progfest with my choice of bands would be a nice start! Oh, and a first class stereo man cave.

-------------
More heavy prog, please!

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: November 27 2014 at 09:37
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

Just wondering, which Jam? The mod cons, or the Justified Ancients of Mu Mu? Both were awesome.

1. i think he meant the band The Jam (I think...)

To have been at Shea Stadium for The Beatles' concert there.

2. that's pretty much near impossible, and i mean that through all those girls (i mean DAMN they're loud as hell!!!!!)

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: November 27 2014 at 10:07
At first I was gonna go with seeing Rush on the Fly by Night tour.....hearing all the songs on the first two albums in their youthful prime.....oh mama that would be killer.  Then I thought, watching the Topographic Oceans sessions would be cool....but Jon probably wouldn't let anyone smoke (this is fantasy, so naturally I'd want to smoke in my rock fantasy). 

But I think I"m gonna say instead:  Being in the studio for the recording of Piper.  It would have been so interesting to watch a reasonably healthy Syd in a creative phase with the other guys, and see them working with Norman Smith.  As a bonus, one could have walked down the hallway and peaked in on "that other band" recording Sgt Pepper.

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: November 27 2014 at 10:07
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Though it is an American holiday, I wouldn't reserve the celebration or giving thanks only to those who are in the US.

<span style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;">

If a genie from a lamp (most likely a lava lamp) granted you ONE wish related to prog artists or prog music, what would it be?</span><div style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;"> <div style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;">And it could be whatever you want, but remember, you only have one wish.<span style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;">
Make me born in England in late 40's, so that I could found a group that could jump on the prog bandwagon.</span>

That's mine right there.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: November 27 2014 at 13:20

There's life outside the US of A !?!

-------------

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: November 28 2014 at 01:50
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

To play guitar like Martin Barre.

hahaha, that would be something, one of my fav guitarists ever, Wink

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: November 28 2014 at 09:17
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

To have seen King Crimson several times in 1969 with the original lineup.....or better yet to have been a roadie with them on the whole tour.

Big smile

The two bootlegs I had from this band were concerts in 1969 and they were not very good, and it was after the major line up changes. The only bootlegs and DVD you want is from the recent tour ... absolutely the best thing I have seen in almost 35 years!

I really do not look back and with anything ... except that all the artists we love live a very long and fruitful life and love!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: November 28 2014 at 14:11

Make me born in England in late 40's, so that I could found a group that could jump on the prog bandwagon.
As is this is the first time in 13 years that I did not have to extend my wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving to U.S. troops fighting overseas, the exclusivity of my toast is fine with me this time around. After all, it's the main thing that I'm thankful for.

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: November 29 2014 at 23:16
Wud ask for a prog super-group with Jeff Beck and Blackmore as guitarists, Bill Bruford on drums, Chris Squire on bass, Emerson on keys and Ian Gillan on vocals.

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: November 30 2014 at 01:34
Originally posted by Olape Olape wrote:

Pink Floyd playing Atom Heart Mother, Echoes and DSOTM in the Valle de la Luna in my country. 

I don't hail from South America, but I second this.

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Posted By: Bitterblogger
Date Posted: November 30 2014 at 14:08
How powerful is this Genie? Ermm
Accomplishable: That the Lamb would be turned into a cinematic experience a la The Wall movie, with Genesis reformed to accompany it.

Alternate Universe: That past prog Supergroups would've stuck it out (Bruford/Wakeman/Wetton; Emerson/Hackett/Bruce/Phillips; Yes with Moraz).

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: February 19 2015 at 10:47
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

But I think I'm gonna say instead:  Being in the studio for the recording of Piper.  It would have been so interesting to watch a reasonably healthy Syd in a creative phase with the other guys, and see them working with Norman Smith.  As a bonus, one could have walked down the hallway and peaked in on "that other band" recording Sgt Pepper.

This. This would make my life. I would have no other reason to live.

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: February 19 2015 at 16:58
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

That Yes, Genesis, and Tull would create music as good as they did in their 70s heydays.

and tour extensively with the same music once it had been created.  That would be bliss.

Posted By: Wakeman's Birotron
Date Posted: February 19 2015 at 17:46
To see Mike Oldfield perform Ommadawn with Maggie Reilly on vocals, Paddy Moloney on uillean pipes and african tribesmen on percussions. Live at Pompeii with no crowd in the stadium except me.

Date Posted: February 19 2015 at 23:21
.........to have Magenta do an on location gig at my place........

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: February 20 2015 at 01:58
To see Vangelis play live with orchestra and choir plus appropriate supporting musicians . It would have to be an all day concert with large chunks of his best albums as well his collaborative efforts with Jon Anderson and Irene Papas ( they would need to be there as well!). I would have Ridley Scott and Harrison Ford in attendance perhaps giving a speech (or readings from the script) for Blade Runner with a giant screen showing images of the film. It can be outdoors or indoors but the weather must be perfect. I also get to meet and shake the hand of the great man himself at the end.

Date Posted: February 20 2015 at 04:01
Hey Richard, you strike me as a fan of Neo...........
Pendragon, Marillion, I.Q., ..........MAGENTA !!!!!
You rock severely........:...
I have to say, at this point in my life, I'm really in a 'pickle' about what floats my boat more ..............
Post-90"s Prog or the 'great classics'..........
Perhaps it boils down to production stylings.....

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: February 20 2015 at 06:16
To see ELP circa 73/74 when they were at the peak of their powers

OR

(could I wish that the Genie have Alzheimer's and forgets he's granted my wish?)

-------------

Posted By: antonyus
Date Posted: February 20 2015 at 06:38
Seeing Eloy live in Ocean tour around 1977.

Posted By: SquonkHunter
Date Posted: February 20 2015 at 21:37
Originally posted by Wakeman's Birotron Wakeman's Birotron wrote:

To see Mike Oldfield perform Ommadawn with Maggie Reilly on vocals, Paddy Moloney on uillean pipes and african tribesmen on percussions. Live at Pompeii with no crowd in the stadium except me.

Oh yeah! Absolutely love Maggie Reilly's vocals.

-------------
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."

Posted By: infernalfrog
Date Posted: February 20 2015 at 22:01
To play guitar and sing like Daniel Gildenlöw.
A last Pink Floyd reunion with Gilmour, Nick and Waters.
See VdGG playing A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers and Meurglys III with David Jackson and his double sax.

-------------
Please, forgive my spelling and concordance mistakes. English noob here.

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: February 21 2015 at 02:48
Centipede reunion, with extra like-minded players

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Date Posted: February 21 2015 at 02:50
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Hey Richard, you strike me as a fan of Neo...........
Pendragon, Marillion, I.Q., ..........MAGENTA !!!!!
You rock severely........:...
I have to say, at this point in my life, I'm really in a 'pickle' about what floats my boat more ..............
Post-90"s Prog or the 'great classics'..........
Perhaps it boils down to production stylings.....

thanks Tom very kindBig smile

Magenta are a joy live. I would love to go to a Magenta gig with you. We would have so much funBeer

Date Posted: February 21 2015 at 02:52
Originally posted by SquonkHunter SquonkHunter wrote:

Originally posted by Wakeman's Birotron Wakeman's Birotron wrote:

Oh yeah! Absolutely love Maggie Reilly's vocals.

For me it would have to be the Incantations tour with Maddy Prior but any Oldfield live from 1979-1983 would do meSmile

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: February 21 2015 at 07:28
For me it would be the return of NEARfest, even on a slightly smaller scale. The three editions we attended were such wonderful experiences, both from a musical point of view and in terms of human relationships. I am sure that our friend HT (aka Bhikkhu) would agree with me, as we finally got to meet in person at our first NEARfest, in June 2009.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk