URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100513
Printed Date: May 01 2024 at 22:43
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Definitive Gear Thread
Posted By: Polymorphia
Subject: The Definitive Gear Thread
Date Posted: December 04 2014 at 12:56
Welcome to the Definitive Gear Thread.

While there have been a few "list your gear threads," I intend a broader emphasis. Lists and photos of your rig are welcome and allowed, but you may also discuss gear you'd like to or are planning to get, musicians whose sound you like, reviews of gear you have, etc. etc.

I will kick it off with my post below (leaving this one to be easily quotable without any extra nonsense except for this sentence).

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Replies:
Date Posted: December 04 2014 at 13:28
I'll stick to guitar gear for now. My guitar is a Godin Solidac.

Not my first choice for a guitar if I'm being honest, but it's pretty versatile and has helped me find an archetype for the tone I want.

I do not have my own amp at the moment (I have a mediocre solid state, but I don't use it and only keep it for when I don't have access to >>>>>>>>). I generally use my brother's Fender Hot Rod Deville. I plan to get a Deluxe as I like the HR amps but want one I can crank higher that's a little quieter than a cranked Deville.

As far as pedals, I've not got many and most were impulsively bought so it's all across the board (pun not intended). Mooching off my brother, still, as a result, but I'm working to get my own pedalboard functional.

I have a ZVex Fuzz Factory that I like but don't use. I can dig the noisy aspects of it, but I don't use fuzz that often. I may try and integrate it into my bass rig, but if I can't manage to wield the animal I'll probably sell it.

I also have a DS-1. Don't use it, can't sell it for more than $20. May get it modded someday, after I've gotten the gear I need.

My favorite is my Malekko Ekko 616. A beautiful analog delay with some nice, easy to use oscillation. Probably will stay in my rig for a while.

Now that I need the essentials, the impulse purchases are kind of embarrassing. I don't even have an overdrive. On top of that, I don't have a steady income so I've been applying for jobs and selling anything I don't need. I've brainstormed a few other ways to make money, but a job seems like the best solution overall.

-------------

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: December 04 2014 at 15:00
For my rig I use a Les Paul Gibson Double Cut because I play backwards and I need it. It's a great guitar.

For my amp I use a Fender Deville 4 by 10. I prefer that to the 2 by 12. I dknt use pedals because I am not good enough at guitar to deserve them.

For my home recording I own an Axe FX Ultra. I can get an infinite number of sounds out of this. Perfectly amazing. I don't use it live though, because Im not good enough and don't want to shell out 1000 dollars for the switchboard.

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Posted By: Ozark Soundscape
Date Posted: December 04 2014 at 15:45
I'll use this thread to pose this question: what guitar amp should I get? I have a very nice amp that's great for recording and practicing, but it's much too quiet for a live performance, specifically when playing with a drummer. Are there any models, brands, or whatnot that I should look out for for a loud amp that's high quality but cheap?

Date Posted: December 04 2014 at 16:10
Depends on how much you're willing to spend. Fender's usually a good choice both in terms of tone and budget.

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2014 at 16:22
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

For my rig I use a Les Paul Gibson Double Cut because I play backwards and I need it. It's a great guitar.

For my amp I use a Fender Deville 4 by 10. I prefer that to the 2 by 12. I dknt use pedals because I am not good enough at guitar to deserve them.

For my home recording I own an Axe FX Ultra. I can get an infinite number of sounds out of this. Perfectly amazing. I don't use it live though, because Im not good enough and don't want to shell out 1000 dollars for the switchboard.
You certainly have plenty of chops on your instrument, but I can understand not wanting to use them as a crutch. I can also understand them getting in the way of playing in a live setting. Having anxiety, I can see how the extra stuff might hurt your playing. It sometimes does mine and I have to do some extra practice with the extra elements to perform my best.

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2014 at 16:46
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Depends on how much you're willing to spend. Fender's usually a good choice both in terms of tone and budget.
500$ or less would be nice

Date Posted: December 04 2014 at 16:58
You might find a used Hot Rod Deluxe for that amount. That would be my amp of choice.

If you don't care about having many options, you might try the Excelsior. It is a small-ish amp, but bigger than the one you have (if that live video of you is any indication) and loud for its size. It has a nice warm tone and goes for $350. It's a tube amp as well if you don't want solid state.

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2014 at 18:41
Both seem like good options for me. Danke! The amp I used there isn't mine but it's about the same size, a tad louder than mine, but not quite as loud as I'd like.

Date Posted: December 05 2014 at 11:57
Looking at this guy for an overdrive. Nice, tight sound without a lot of loose granular shrapnel like I've seen in a lot of overdrives.

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: December 05 2014 at 12:38
No definitive gear thread should be robbed of this magnificent instrument. Just so happens to be at the very top of my Christmas list:

I want one dammit!!!!

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: December 05 2014 at 12:43
The only piece of equipment I've really splurged on is my amp.  More than anything else I wanted a good, warm clean tone to work with.  It's a 40 watt amp with one 12" speaker - a Fender Blues Deluxe Jr

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: December 05 2014 at 12:47
Looks almost exactly like the one my buddy hasThumbs Up
He's a vintage freak in that department. Plays a 1969 Fender strat in white and ivory like Jimi at WoodstockWink

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: adnocera
Date Posted: December 05 2014 at 12:58
There are a lot of great 15 to 22 watt amps, and a lot of great 100 watt amps, but not a lot in between. In most cases if a 20 isn't loud enough you need a 100 to get significantly louder. The exceptions are the Orange AD30 and HiWatt SSH and pretty much anything built by Dr. Z. But all of these are very, very expensive. After searching high and low I came up with the Traynor DH40H... a TREMENDOUS amp for the price. 

I have a Traynor "Darkhorse" 40 watt head (DH40H) and it solved every problem I was having staying on top of a power mad bass player with a stereo rigged Rickenbacker bass (two 500 watt Markbass heads into two 4x8" Markbass cabs... it's NICE and it's LOUD!) I was using a Bogner Rebel 20 into two Celestion Greenbacks (25s) and dimed it sounded swell but the rest of the guys were burying me. 

The Darkhorse 40 is technically a class AB1, and its tone and response to Gibson Humbuckers is similar to an old 30 watt Marshall (or Orange or Vox (with top boost) ... btw: they weren't really Class A, more like Class A -esque!) As far as I can tell the only "true" Class A big amp is the Laney Lionheart 50 (which uses five El-34s (that's not a typo... I said FIVE)  in parallel single ended configuration - and NOTHING sounds better... but I can't afford it.)

It's VERY rugged... you can throw it down the stairs. I had an old 1960 TV cab (4x12" - G12H -30s) and it sounded really good, but I didn't want to carry it around New York so I sold it, and the 2x12, and two other assorted abandoned cabs (they stunk like cigarette smoke and took up a lot of room in a Manhattan apartment... or so I told myself!) and with the proceeds I bought a MoJo Tone empty 2x12 which I fitted with 2 Eminence ej1250s ... these are AlNiCo speakers and they come with an AlNiCo price tag... the cab + speakers cost me around $900 total.

The bigger Traynor has some nice features, it's plenty powerful enough and it LOVES effects... for the price (I paid $560 out the door with tax in NYC) I couldn't find ANYTHING nearly as nice. Everything in its class was over $1000 and most (like Egnater) were WELL over $1000.

I play an early '80 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion and we do a mix of mostly fusion and prog with a dash of shoegazey - stoner - jammy anesthetic (gotta keep the young guys happy)

good luck.

Date Posted: December 05 2014 at 13:17
^I had a friend who owned a Traynor. I think it was one of their lower grade ones so the sound wasn't amazing, but rugged is exactly how I would describe it.

-------------

Posted By: adnocera
Date Posted: December 05 2014 at 16:28
They were truly great in the late '60s - early '70s, then Yorkville and Pete Traynor had a parting of the ways (circa '76? ... around then anyways) and they just about dried up. But recently they began to put out reasonably priced amps based on the old Pete Traynor designs. They're hard to find, only one NYC authorized guy. I think they are trying to earn their way back into the mainstream, hence the very reasonable prices for what one gets. In any case, I'm impressed. 

For about 20 years I used a Marshall JCM 601 combo with an additional 1x12" extension cab. It had a nice "clean channel" sound, not so great high gain channel (I rarely used it) and a very good line out, and it was a reasonably portable club gig setup. 

It was also way too loud for what I was doing, so eventually I sold it to a kid in a neo- hard rock band in Brooklyn. I used a Bogner Rebel 20 and still have it. Great for recording, it has both a 6V6 and an EL-84 power stage and you can mix the two. It also has a variable output knob that really works as advertised. But it just wasn't loud enough for the new gig with the new guys. I took my time and found the Traynor and it was just right for club gigs, I can schlep it around with a "magna-cart" mini, folding hand cart and I'm really happy with it. 

Date Posted: December 05 2014 at 17:00
I have the magna cart mini. Useful little guy. My friends always crack up at the name. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: December 05 2014 at 17:03
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

No definitive gear thread should be robbed of this magnificent instrument. Just so happens to be at the very top of my Christmas list:

I want one dammit!!!!

That's it. I'm giving up guitar, bass, keys, and everything else. I'm going to be a yaybahar player now.

Anybody need a yaybahar player?

-------------

Date Posted: December 05 2014 at 17:12
Originally posted by Ozark Soundscape Ozark Soundscape wrote:

500$ or less would be nice

500 for a fender Deville is solid. I paid less than that for mine because I have a friend that deals amps but you could get some good sh*t for 500. Always go for tubes. Make sure they can screech if you want. ;)

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Date Posted: December 05 2014 at 17:13
^Devilles are good too.

-------------

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: December 05 2014 at 18:44
I have an Ibanez S370 like this one:

Got it used 7 years ago. It's nothing special, but it's a very versatile guitar. I've been having some trouble to tune it lately, the strings seem to touch in the 4th fret, and I don't know what do Confused

I have a small Kustom solid state amp and I was thinking about getting a better one too, I'll see your suggestions Smile

For effects I bought a Roland GT-8 five years ago. It took me some time to learn how to work with it but now I can do any sound I want to.

Date Posted: December 06 2014 at 22:57
Changing strings on my brother's hollow body reminded me why I stick with solid bodies. Yikes.

Also changed bass strings today. I've got this one (the pic is not mine but same model):

All my instruments make me look like I'm in Berklee fusion band, or that I'm into Berklee fusion bands. LOL

-------------

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 00:33

Changing strings on my brother's hollow body reminded me why I stick with solid bodies. Yikes.

Also changed bass strings today. I've got this one (the pic is not mine but same model):

All my instruments make me look like I'm in Berklee fusion band, or that I'm into Berklee fusion bands. LOL
Do you ever play the 24th fret?  Smile

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 13:49
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Do you ever play the 24th fret?  Smile
Can't say that I do. Maybe for harmonics.

-------------

Posted By: stegor
Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 22:06
Here's a project I just finished. This was my first bass, bought in 1983 for about $120.00. Lotus, made in Korea. Cheap and crappy. It weighed about 12 lbs. but it felt like 100. So I carved holes in it, filed and chiseled it, and gave it a paint job. I haven't re-weighed it yet, but it's a lot easier to carry now.

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 01:32
^ What the heck?  That's awesome!!

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 11:08
^ Amazing work you did there!

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 12:01
I'm a bit ashamed because I have some decent gear and it's years that I don't really play, but I plan to start playing again (I do, really! Wink).

* Aria Pro II Cardinal Series CS-350 Electric Guitar (the red one, Japan made): this was my first decent guitar (after some crappy ones I dare not to mention) and I still play it sometimes for the cleaner, more jazzy stuff. I replaced the neck pickup by a Seymour Duncan and I installed a Floyd Rose tremolo bridge and it's a pretty nice guitar.

* Carvin DC135T Electric Guitar (the blue one, US made): this is the one I play the most, it's a bit following the Ibanez metal-oriented guitars style, great for the heavier stuff and soloing. 1-piece construction, 24 frets neck, Floyd Rose tremolo bridge, humbucker in the bridge and single coils in middle and neck...

* Fender Gemini II acoustic guitar (made in Korea): this was a present and I have never been fond of its sound or playing feel, I would have never bought it myself. Perhaps one day I will be able to afford a Gibson J-200 Wink.

* Peavey Fury bass (US made): following the Fender Precision style, it's quite OK, I'm not really a bass player anyway so for my needs it's good enough. It needs new strings urgently though.

* Yamaha GW50 multi-FX pedalboard: works as single effects pedals or as a multi-FX combinations with 128 factory presets and 128 user presets, more than enough for an amateur like myself, I'm fine with it.

* Boss GT-10 multi-FX pedalboard: I bought this one recently out of a 'buying rush' and I still don't know what to say, it's extremely powerful but you need to spend a lot of time to master it (which I have not done yet). I don't think it's practical as a single effects pedalboard because it does not have independent knobs for each effect's parameters, everything needs to be programmed one by one by menus and a few buttons and a selection wheel, it seems more meant to program your own multi-fx presets and then play with those, and I'm still far from understanding all what it takes. Of course it has many great factory presets too but I'm still a bit lost with it.

* Yamaha PSR2100 Keyboard: this was also a present, I would have never bought it myself. The built-in sounds are not very exciting for rock playing, it's more the kind of keyboard for programming all the rhythms and backing tracks and then play on top the melody to entertain the old guests at an hotel lounge bar in the evening, but OK, with my Vintage Keys sound module I can use it as controller, and for more orchestral sounds such as brass, winds etc it's OK.

* E-Mu Vintage Keys sound module: I just bought this one 2nd hand and I still need to learn about it, but it has many vintage sounds, Moogs, Mellotron, ARPs, Oberheims, Rhodes, Wurly's, CP70 and so on, so it should be fun.

* Hughes & Kettner Attax Series Tour Reverb Amp: 100W, a nice guitar amp.

* Peavey Audition 30W Amp: just for home practicing, I nearly never use it having the H&K, I use it mainly for the keyboard

I have also a bass amp sitting at some friend's place for a few years, don't even remember the model, it was not from any famous brand but it was pretty good and powerful. I am also co-owner of a Roland U-20 keyboard which sits at a friend's place for years (the other co-owner).

In any case, I can't complain about gear, what I need now is starting to play again!

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 12:38
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I have an Ibanez S370 like this one:

Got it used 7 years ago. It's nothing special, but it's a very versatile guitar. I've been having some trouble to tune it lately, the strings seem to touch in the 4th fret, and I don't know what do Confused

Fret buzz can be a pain in the ass indeed. In my experience, only a good luthier will fix it right, especially on a guitar with tremolo bridge as yours (even more if it's a 'body-through' bridge, I don't know if that's the case). I have had many tries by myself and other people who thought they would fix it, adjusting the neck thrust rod, the strings bridge height etc, only to poor results (it's easy to avoid fret buzz by lifting the strings up but that's not what you want if you want to play light and nicely). Take it to some good luthier, it will cost some money but it's gonna be worth it.

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 14:18
^ Thanks for the advice! I'll take it to a luthier, from what I was told, there's a really good one near. I hope it doesn't cost as much as the guitar Tongue

By the way, don't give up on the GT-10, it takes patience but it's worth it. There are some official tutorials that teach you the basics in no time Smile

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 15:52

^ Thanks for the advice! I'll take it to a luthier, from what I was told, there's a really good one near. I hope it doesn't cost as much as the guitar Tongue

By the way, don't give up on the GT-10, it takes patience but it's worth it. There are some official tutorials that teach you the basics in no time Smile
Thanks! a good guitar set up by a good luthier should not cost you too much I hope. Make sure that the strings height and the tremolo-bridge springs tension are up to your taste, this will define how your guitar will feel afterwards.
This was one of my main headaches, they have to get the sweet spot between 3 different settings, the neck thrust rod, the strings height on the bridge and the tremolo springs tension, which in a floating bridge like a Floyd Rose affect the strings height. Most importantly, make sure that you start by having the string gauge you want, because different gauges put different tension and will require different settings on the neck rod, the bridge and tremolo springs, and then everything changes.  

I won't give up on my GT-10, I'm pretty sure that it's a very good device, but I need to spend time on it. It's quite different from other pedalboards I have played such as my Yamaha GW50, which is a more traditional combination of single effects pedals. The GT-10 seems to be meant to programming presets, independently of what each effect actually does.

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 15:55
Most music stores will do that too if you take it there, but they tend to be less trustworthy. Still, I have my guitar and mandolin at a local music store with some set-up stuff being done.

-------------

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 16:44
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Thanks! a good guitar set up by a good luthier should not cost you too much I hope. Make sure that the strings height and the tremolo-bridge springs tension are up to your taste, this will define how your guitar will feel afterwards.
This was one of my main headaches, they have to get the sweet spot between 3 different settings, the neck thrust rod, the strings height on the bridge and the tremolo springs tension, which in a floating bridge like a Floyd Rose affect the strings height. Most importantly, make sure that you start by having the string gauge you want, because different gauges put different tension and will require different settings on the neck rod, the bridge and tremolo springs, and then everything changes.  

I won't give up on my GT-10, I'm pretty sure that it's a very good device, but I need to spend time on it. It's quite different from other pedalboards I have played such as my Yamaha GW50, which is a more traditional combination of single effects pedals. The GT-10 seems to be meant to programming presets, independently of what each effect actually does.
I had to read that first paragraph many times to understand it. I don't understand much about the guitar parts and configurations, for now I wouldn't mind a guitar that plays in tune and that I can feel what I'm playing: the way it is now I can't play in drop D and I can barely play the tapping intro of Giant Hogweed Ouch

I wish my GT-8 had USB so I could give you my Floyd patches: I already spent some time with those and they are still not perfect.... and they will never be LOL

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 16:53

Most music stores will do that too if you take it there, but they tend to be less trustworthy. Still, I have my guitar and mandolin at a local music store with some set-up stuff being done.
Most music stores here take the guitars to the luthier, so the luthier probably costs less. I would really like to get a mandolin someday, and learn to play it of course. I have a brazilian cavaquinho but it's not very fun to play Ermm

Posted By: stegor
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 20:19
Thanks Infocat & Gerinski (Frank & Gerard if I may). I don't play live so nobody ever sees my instruments because they hang on a wall in my basement. I was looking for a place to share this one. I paint better than i play - so I paint guitar.

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 21:32
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

Thanks Infocat & Gerinski (Frank & Gerard if I may). I don't
play live so nobody ever sees my instruments because they hang on a wall
in my basement. I was looking for a place to share this one. I paint
better than i play - so I paint guitar.

Your art looks solid as hell! Do you have any paintings on canvas?

-------------

wtf

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 21:56

Most music stores here take the guitars to the luthier, so the luthier probably costs less. I would really like to get a mandolin someday, and learn to play it of course. I have a brazilian cavaquinho but it's not very fun to play Ermm
I'm looking to sell mine. It will probably be on ebay once I get it back. So heads up if you're looking to buy it.

-------------

Date Posted: December 18 2014 at 02:30

I had to read that first paragraph many times to understand it. I don't understand much about the guitar parts and configurations, for now I wouldn't mind a guitar that plays in tune and that I can feel what I'm playing: the way it is now I can't play in drop D and I can barely play the tapping intro of Giant Hogweed Ouch

Of course by 'luthier' I didn't mean here someone who actually builds guitars, just someone who knows how to set them up, some music stores have such a guy, or otherwise they will send the guitar to someone, but by experience I know that many of the guys in stores who say they can, actually can not.

If you want to try a bit by yourself, the first thing you can do is lift a bit the string(s) which buzz and see it that solves the problem. On the bridge you must have little allen screws to adjust each string height, and you must also have adjustment for each string scale length (the length from the nut to the small piece in the bridge where each string sits). First of all make sure that the length of each string is correct so that when you play on the 12th fret it is exactly one octave up, if you have a tuner you can use it to check this (I guess the GT-8 has one?). As you probably know, the lower strings need to have a bit longer scale and the high strings a bit shorter to play in tune. Sometimes people change the strings to other gauges and forget to adjust this so then the guitar will not play in tune. This is always the first adjustment to check.

Then, if some string has fret buzz, increase its height with the small allen screws until the fret buzz disappears. If you see that in order to avoid the buzz you have to lift up the string too much (so it gets too far from the fretboard) this means that you will need to adjust the neck rod, and this I recommend not to try yourself or you can mess your guitar up, this should be done by someone who knows.

When you have a floating tremolo bridge (as I believe you do by the pic you posted) things can get more complicated but hopefully these simple steps can solve your problem. 

Good luck!

Date Posted: December 18 2014 at 03:06
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

Thanks Infocat & Gerinski (Frank & Gerard if I may). I don't play live so nobody ever sees my instruments because they hang on a wall in my basement. I was looking for a place to share this one. I paint better than i play - so I paint guitar.
It's an amazing job you did there, both the lightening and the painting, congrats!

Date Posted: December 18 2014 at 05:44

BTW if you play in drop D think also about the strings gauge. A normal 6th string, say for example a 0.48 is designed to play an E at its normal tension, when you downtune it to D the string is looser so it will buzz at the frets more easily, especially in a light-play guitar like yours. A thicker string needs more tension to achieve the same pitch, so in this example trying with a 0.52 could help avoiding the fret buzz when tuned at the same D pitch because the string will be tighter.

Date Posted: December 18 2014 at 18:08
^ Thanks again Gerard! I'll see if I can do something about it this weekend, I just hope I won't screw up the guitar Ermm

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: December 31 2014 at 09:46
I usually play my '73 Strat, '99 custom shop Tele or '05 Les Paul Studio.
My every day amp is an '05 Fender Blues Jr. I also have an '05 2 x 12 De Ville but it's too loud for my music room.
I use a Pedaltrain with a Dunlop "Cry Baby" wah wah, Danelectro Daddy O, Cool Cat and DanEcho.

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: December 31 2014 at 10:21
My two favourite bases. Both build from Warmoth parts (Canary necks with ebony fretboard, Black Korina bodies) and with Nordstrand vintage pick ups and Volume-Tone-Balance controls. The Jazz is just that, the Z-shape is a fretless with extended fretboard.
Apart from the woodwork, I put them together myself.

Next to these I use an Ibanez Prestige 3005 and a Gretsch Broadkaster.

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Date Posted: December 31 2014 at 11:32
^ Both of them look great!

Date Posted: December 31 2014 at 13:58
And I can assure you they sound the way the look :)

-------------
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Date Posted: January 03 2015 at 06:40

^ Thanks again Gerard! I'll see if I can do something about it this weekend, I just hope I won't screw up the guitar Ermm
I caught the flu that weekend so I didn't see anything Ouch
I met someone at work who knows a lot about guitar gear though and I asked if he could see my guitar. He made some adjustments and it sounds a lot better but he noticed that some parts are not original (and worse than those, probably changed by the original owner) and that I needed to take to the luthier to fix the fretboard, although the price he said it costs (and I later confirmed) is almost as high as the price I paid for the guitar. Considering this, I decided to save that money to invest on a new one: this one was paid a long time ago with all the hours I played (and will play) Smile

So my question to you is: what good guitars can you recommend for proggin'? Wink

By the way, cool basses Angelo Cool

Date Posted: January 03 2015 at 06:47
Thanks Meltdowner!

-------------

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 10:19

Considering this, I decided to save that money to invest on a new one: this one was paid a long time ago with all the hours I played (and will play) Smile

So my question to you is: what good guitars can you recommend for proggin'? Wink

By the way, cool basses Angelo Cool

I'm not a real musician, just an amateur so I'm afraid I'm not really entitled to make you any recommendations. I guess it all depends on your budget and what kind of 'proggin' do you mean. Do you play mostly chords? or mostly lead? mostly clean or mostly heavy / metal oriented?
Important defining features of a guitar are the action (how far are the strings from the fretboard), the frets profile height, the neck shape (more "U" or "V" depending if you will play mostly chords or lead), the neck radius (depending on how big your hands are), the pickups (humbuckers give a beefier sound, single-coils a thinner but sharper sound, although several guitars nowadays have switches to emulate the opposite wiring configuration), do you want a tremolo bridge... It's a world in it's own.

Your Ibanez didn't look too bad in picture, seemingly a low action guitar suited to modern playing with power chords and leads, and Ibanez is quite a good brand. The fact that a neck truss rod adjustment is necessary and a bit costly should not be a reason to throw it away if you like the way it feels and plays. With whatever guitar you buy it will come the day that a truss rod adjustment will be needed, especially if you experiment with different string gauges and tunings. And the cost of the neck adjustment should never be a match to the cost of the guitar! If you say the cost of adjusting the neck is close to the cost you paid for the guitar, either you must have bought it very cheap or you got a very expensive quotation for the adjustment, ask somewhere else!

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 11:23
I didn't say anything about throwing it away, I even said "(and will play)". I'm considering buying a new one but I'll also do something about that one eventually. The thing is, I barely ever played on any other electric guitar to know if I really like the way it plays and by investigating about guitars I hope to learn more about them. I once played some Floyd on a Fender Stratocaster though and I really liked the way it felt Smile

Thanks for the information on the first paragraph, I'll need to analyze it more carefully in order to know what I really want.

I bought my Ibanez really cheap, the owner really wanted to get rid of it for some reason Ouch It doesn't look as pretty as the one on the photo.
I was 13 and my father immediately bought it without consulting me, so that one's on him Tongue
Anyway, if I get a new guitar, the Ibanez will be a backup guitar if anything happens on stage Smile

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 11:43

I once played some Floyd on a Fender Stratocaster though and I really liked the way it felt Smile
If you can afford a Strat, it is surely a very good and versatile guitar Smile. There are so many of them though that I could get lost, just look at this if you are interested

http://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/guitar-buying-guides/stratocaster-buying-guide" rel="nofollow - http://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/guitar-buying-guides/stratocaster-buying-guide

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 12:16
I play my '73 Strat almost every day. It has a very comfortable feel to it and with the three position switch you can get a variety of tones. It is lighter than my Les Paul Studio and has a slightly thinner neck. The frets are showing signs of wear but it is still very playable. I asked a guitar tech about this a couple of years ago but he recommended that I leave it in original condition for the sake of value.
When you're ready to buy I suggest you try to find a place where you can plug in and test play a few different guitars. I have a Sam Ash music store near me and they have a large selection of guitars and have no problem with you plugging in and playing anything they have on display. Right now they are selling standard American Strats for $1299. They also have Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck models for $1599.

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 15:22

I once played some Floyd on a Fender Stratocaster though and I really liked the way it felt Smile
If you can afford a Strat, it is surely a very good and versatile guitar Smile. There are so many of them though that I could get lost, just look at this if you are interested

http://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/guitar-buying-guides/stratocaster-buying-guide" rel="nofollow - http://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/guitar-buying-guides/stratocaster-buying-guide
Thanks, very enlightening article and yes, I'm considering to spend a nice amount on the guitar, that's why I want to make the right choice Smile
When they say "C shaped neck", is it the same as "U" or it's a different thing?

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 15:29
Yes, never buy a guitar without having test-played it (or any instrument for that matter). Many years ago my friends bought me a Fender acoustic as a present (made in Korea). I never liked it's sound and feel but I was stuck with it. Years later my girlfriend bought me a Yamaha keyboard I didn't like either, but I didn't dare to tell her so I kept playing it.

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 15:32

When they say "C shaped neck", is it the same as "U" or it's a different thing?
Don't take me for granted but I believe that when they talk about guitar neck shapes, C or U are indeed the same.

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 15:33
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I play my '73 Strat almost every day. It has a very comfortable feel to it and with the three position switch you can get a variety of tones. It is lighter than my Les Paul Studio and has a slightly thinner neck. The frets are showing signs of wear but it is still very playable. I asked a guitar tech about this a couple of years ago but he recommended that I leave it in original condition for the sake of value.
When you're ready to buy I suggest you try to find a place where you can plug in and test play a few different guitars. I have a Sam Ash music store near me and they have a large selection of guitars and have no problem with you plugging in and playing anything they have on display. Right now they are selling standard American Strats for $1299. They also have Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck models for $1599.
That seems really good, your inseparable guitar I see Smile
Thanks for the suggestion: I don't know where I could do that near me, I'll have to look into that Ermm

Posted By: LizardsExist
Date Posted: January 08 2015 at 18:33
I play my 78 fernandes strat through my pedalboard (heavily modified vox v847 wah, analogman sunface bc108, drybell vibe machine with exp pedal) into a Binson Echorec 2 and in the end in my '76 hiwatt sa212.
I can get really nice sound from it.

Atm, I don't know what else to add to my board

-------------
https://lizardsexist.bandcamp.com/releases

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbI4wpMV08H4DeRlM4PfjLA

Date Posted: January 08 2015 at 19:09
Right now the AC adapter on my Pedaltrain only has four jacks. It's set up with a Dunlop Cry Baby wah wah, a Danelectro Daddy O overdrive, Cool Cat chorus and Dan Echo.

The Cry Baby is ok but I would like to find a wah wah with a wider range from high to low. I'm looking for a sound similar to "Ain't Superstitious" by the Jeff Beck Group.

Date Posted: January 08 2015 at 19:11
Try changing the pot. 250k pot did wonders for me.

If it doesn't do the trick, change the inductor.

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: January 11 2015 at 19:33
Here's a large sample of my gear:

This is my Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus, a really spectacular guitar. I love it. It sleeps with me. So does the cat. I have an Aria Pro II RS Ina Zuma V, an acoustic 12-string, and an acoustic bouzouki off in my hometown.

These are the pedal boards I've been assembling. Standing room only, as you can see. There are four separate lines, which pretty much means four times as large as most peoples set-up. I have ten ADA PitchTraq Harmonizers not pictured here, three of which are used to split and buffer the guitar signal into four separate signals (three from the "direct out" lines and one from the final "effect out" line, which of course can be bypassed). Those four lines go into each of the effect lines. I can play all four lines at the same time, or pick and choose by shutting off any one the effects lines with the noise gate they each start off with. I have no idea how many synthesizers are here, largely because it depends on your definition of synthesis.

Lots of switching around is inevitable. Mainly right now I am trying to get the power sources all accounted for. I had been drowning in tangled cords, which I have no patience for. I've purchased bricks for multiple DC outputs velcroed underneath. The Harmony Man and Timebender pedals, which altogether number eight, require AC power, so I've recently gotten a couple bricks for those, but they don't fit so nicely underneath.

It might be hard to determine from the picture what each individual pedal is, so here goes:
•The line at the top of the pic begins on the right with a DOD Gate/Loop. I will be replacing that with a Boss Noise Gate that I already have once I get the velcro on it. The next is a Pigtronix Mothership, a nice analog synthesizer with unimpressive tracking, but a really cool portamento effect. Next to that is one of my Line 6 FM4 pedals modified to double the presets from four to eight. The FM4 has magnificent monophonic tracking, by the way. After that is my Red Witch Synthotron, which tracks about as well as or as poorly as the Mothership, but it has some wonderful tones that sound like candy to a synth junky like me, and a fabulous resonant filter. To the left of that is my Digitech Synth Wah and a Boss Tera Echo after that to make the synth sound on the Synth Wah come alive. To the left of that is a multi-effect, the Mooer Mod Factory, which I bought for the envelope phaser setting but now only use for the surprisingly musical envelope ring setting. Placed somewhat arbitrarily after that is a Boss Acoustic Simulator. To the left of that is my Electro-Harmonix B9 Organ Machine. The Bell Organ setting on that will be what I mainly use that for. After that is the Mak Octronix, then a Ditto Looper, a Behringer Harmonist, A Behringer Slow Motion, and Behringer Preamp Booster. Those are followed by an Electro-Harmonix Superego Synth Engine, a Boss Dynamic Wah, and a Boss Super Octave.

•The second line of effects right underneath starts again on the far right with a Boss Noise Gate, followed by an Ibanez Synthesizer Bass and a Behringer Dynamics Compressor. Those are followed by a secondhand DIY pedal, which is quite simply a passive tone control, a Boss Touch-Wah, a Boss BF-2 Flanger, and a Behringer Noise Reducer. I might take some of these out in favor of a separate old-timey lo-fi pedal board. Anyway, the next is my all-time most prized effect, the Electro-Harmonix Hog2. In essence, it's a synthesizer in which one does additive synthesis by bringing in individual harmonics which one subsequently filters and adjusts the envelope. It is fully polyphonic. I also have the foot controller, which offers 100 presets! –As with all the Electro-Harmonix products, it is a synthesizer depending on what your definition of a synthesizer is, since all the sound is created by processing the guitar sound rather than being generated by an oscillator, but, in any event, that is a problematic requirement for a synthesizer.– Anyway, after that is another Behringer Preamp Booster (Don't Judge me. It was only $25 and a simple item that Behringer can do well enough). That goes into a Digitech Harmony Man, another modded Line 6 FM4, a Digitech Timebender, a Boss Feedbacker/Booster and a Boss Digital Reverb.

•The third line starts on the left this time with a Boss Noise Gate, then feeds into a Boss SYB-5 Bass Synthesizer. The SYB-5 has tracking just about as good as the FM4, concise control of different wave shapes, and a stunningly fabulous wave-shaper setting for fully polyphonic use. (Wave-shaping has something to do with altering wave shapes by filtering distortion. I can't explain any more precisely than that). The SYB-5 feeds into a Subdecay Vitruvian (ring) Mod, and then into a Subdecay Octasynth. To the right of that is my very wonderful Electro-Harmonix POG2, my Electyro-Harmonix Freeze, and two Digitech Harmony Man(s) (Harmony Men?). Further to the right is a Behringer Preamp Booster once again, an Electro-Harmonix Micro Synthesizer, 3 Boss Multi-Overtone pedals, a Behringer Slow Motion Pedal, a Digitech Timebender, and a Behringer Dynamics Compressor.

•The fourth line begins at the bottom left with a Boss Noise Gate, followed by a Boss SYB-5 Bass Synthesizer, a Boss OC-2 Octave pedal, another Digitech Harmony Man, and two Digitech Timebenders. After that is a Red Panda Particle. I wish I had a second one of these. After the Particle the line is preamped with Behringer preamp, followed by the Pigtronix Philosopher King, another Ibanez Synthesizer Bass, a Line 6 Otto Filter, another Behringer preamp, a Boss Slicer, a Donner chorus pedal, and a Behringer Digital Reverb (which I plan to switch out for a Boss Digital Reverb once I buy a second).

There are some other pedals that I would like to incorporate into my set-up in the future:

Pictured here are:
Five ring modulators (3 from Nervous Squirrel, the one on the far right is from Delptronics, and I can't remember the make of the green one)
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix Voice Box
Electro-Harmonix Pitch Fork (just came yesterday!)
Mooer Shimverb
Mooer Pitch Box
Boss Adaptive Distortion (the best it gets with clarity of notes in chords with distortion applied)
I definitely want to incorporate my Pollyanna Otave pedal into one of my pedal boards:

There are quite a few side-items I have not pictured here. A very early Digitech Whammy pedal, a Mooer Super Bender Pitch Pedal, a Morpheus Capo, an Electro-Harmonix HOG (1), a second Boss Slicer, 3 foot controllers for my ADA Pitchtraqs, two more Line 6 FM4s without the mods, an E-Bow, yada, yada, yada.

I also have a Pigtronix Infinity Looper, which is what I plan to record on when I start recording.

I have a Roland GR-20 as well.

Wow, Look at that. It's upside down. I have a GK3 pickup for it, but I don't want to attempt putting it on my Les Paul. I plan to buy a cheap yet playable guitar specifically for it, or put it on my Aria Pro II.

Date Posted: January 11 2015 at 21:28
Originally posted by LizardsExist LizardsExist wrote:

Try changing the pot. 250k pot did wonders for me.

If it doesn't do the trick, change the inductor.
I'm not sure what you mean.
On the right side of the pedal base there is the wah range selector knob that has six different positions. 
This adjusts the tonal range but doesn't expand the low to high range.
The variable Q and boost control adjustments on the bottom of the pedal gives me a variety of sounds but still doesn't expand the range.
I normally have the overdrive after the wah wah but the booklet said putting the overdrive before the wah wah will give you more of a quacking sound. I've tried this and it was a step in the right direction but I'm still not getting the wider range I'm looking for.

Maybe I'm being too obsessed with that one song.
Probably only Jeff Beck knows how he got that sound.

Date Posted: January 11 2015 at 23:13
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

This is my Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus, a really spectacular guitar. I love it. It sleeps with me. So does the cat. I have an Aria Pro II RS Ina Zuma V, an acoustic 12-string, and an acoustic bouzouki off in my hometown.

These are the pedal boards I've been assembling. Standing room only, as you can see. There are four separate lines, which pretty much means four times as large as most peoples set-up. I have ten ADA PitchTraq Harmonizers not pictured here, three of which are used to split and buffer the guitar signal into four separate signals (three from the "direct out" lines and one from the final "effect out" line, which of course can be bypassed). Those four lines go into each of the effect lines. I can play all four lines at the same time, or pick and choose by shutting off any one the effects lines with the noise gate they each start off with. I have no idea how many synthesizers are here, largely because it depends on your definition of synthesis.

Lots of switching around is inevitable. Mainly right now I am trying to get the power sources all accounted for. I had been drowning in tangled cords, which I have no patience for. I've purchased bricks for multiple DC outputs velcroed underneath. The Harmony Man and Timebender pedals, which altogether number eight, require AC power, so I've recently gotten a couple bricks for those, but they don't fit so nicely underneath.

It might be hard to determine from the picture what each individual pedal is, so here goes:
•The line at the top of the pic begins on the right with a DOD Gate/Loop. I will be replacing that with a Boss Noise Gate that I already have once I get the velcro on it. The next is a Pigtronix Mothership, a nice analog synthesizer with unimpressive tracking, but a really cool portamento effect. Next to that is one of my Line 6 FM4 pedals modified to double the presets from four to eight. The FM4 has magnificent monophonic tracking, by the way. After that is my Red Witch Synthotron, which tracks about as well as or as poorly as the Mothership, but it has some wonderful tones that sound like candy to a synth junky like me, and a fabulous resonant filter. To the left of that is my Digitech Synth Wah and a Boss Tera Echo after that to make the synth sound on the Synth Wah come alive. To the left of that is a multi-effect, the Mooer Mod Factory, which I bought for the envelope phaser setting but now only use for the surprisingly musical envelope ring setting. Placed somewhat arbitrarily after that is a Boss Acoustic Simulator. To the left of that is my Electro-Harmonix B9 Organ Machine. The Bell Organ setting on that will be what I mainly use that for. After that is the Mak Octronix, then a Ditto Looper, a Behringer Harmonist, A Behringer Slow Motion, and Behringer Preamp Booster. Those are followed by an Electro-Harmonix Superego Synth Engine, a Boss Dynamic Wah, and a Boss Super Octave.

•The second line of effects right underneath starts again on the far right with a Boss Noise Gate, followed by an Ibanez Synthesizer Bass and a Behringer Dynamics Compressor. Those are followed by a secondhand DIY pedal, which is quite simply a passive tone control, a Boss Touch-Wah, a Boss BF-2 Flanger, and a Behringer Noise Reducer. I might take some of these out in favor of a separate old-timey lo-fi pedal board. Anyway, the next is my all-time most prized effect, the Electro-Harmonix Hog2. In essence, it's a synthesizer in which one does additive synthesis by bringing in individual harmonics which one subsequently filters and adjusts the envelope. It is fully polyphonic. I also have the foot controller, which offers 100 presets! –As with all the Electro-Harmonix products, it is a synthesizer depending on what your definition of a synthesizer is, since all the sound is created by processing the guitar sound rather than being generated by an oscillator, but, in any event, that is a problematic requirement for a synthesizer.– Anyway, after that is another Behringer Preamp Booster (Don't Judge me. It was only $25 and a simple item that Behringer can do well enough). That goes into a Digitech Harmony Man, another modded Line 6 FM4, a Digitech Timebender, a Boss Feedbacker/Booster and a Boss Digital Reverb.

•The third line starts on the left this time with a Boss Noise Gate, then feeds into a Boss SYB-5 Bass Synthesizer. The SYB-5 has tracking just about as good as the FM4, concise control of different wave shapes, and a stunningly fabulous wave-shaper setting for fully polyphonic use. (Wave-shaping has something to do with altering wave shapes by filtering distortion. I can't explain any more precisely than that). The SYB-5 feeds into a Subdecay Vitruvian (ring) Mod, and then into a Subdecay Octasynth. To the right of that is my very wonderful Electro-Harmonix POG2, my Electyro-Harmonix Freeze, and two Digitech Harmony Man(s) (Harmony Men?). Further to the right is a Behringer Preamp Booster once again, an Electro-Harmonix Micro Synthesizer, 3 Boss Multi-Overtone pedals, a Behringer Slow Motion Pedal, a Digitech Timebender, and a Behringer Dynamics Compressor.

•The fourth line begins at the bottom left with a Boss Noise Gate, followed by a Boss SYB-5 Bass Synthesizer, a Boss OC-2 Octave pedal, another Digitech Harmony Man, and two Digitech Timebenders. After that is a Red Panda Particle. I wish I had a second one of these. After the Particle the line is preamped with Behringer preamp, followed by the Pigtronix Philosopher King, another Ibanez Synthesizer Bass, a Line 6 Otto Filter, another Behringer preamp, a Boss Slicer, a Donner chorus pedal, and a Behringer Digital Reverb (which I plan to switch out for a Boss Digital Reverb once I buy a second).

There are some other pedals that I would like to incorporate into my set-up in the future:

Pictured here are:
Five ring modulators (3 from Nervous Squirrel, the one on the far right is from Delptronics, and I can't remember the make of the green one)
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Mooer Shimverb
Mooer Pitch Box
Boss Adaptive Distortion (the best it gets with clarity of notes in chords with distortion applied)
I definitely want to incorporate my Pollyanna Otave pedal into one of my pedal boards:

There are quite a few side-items I have not pictured here. A very early Digitech Whammy pedal, a Mooer Super Bender Pitch Pedal, a Morpheus Capo, an Electro-Harmonix HOG (1), a second Boss Slicer, 3 foot controllers for my ADA Pitchtraqs, two more Line 6 FM4s without the mods, an E-Bow, yada, yada, yada.

I also have a Pigtronix Infinity Looper, which is what I plan to record on when I start recording.

Wow, Look at that. It's upside down. I have a GK3 pickup for it, but I don't want to attempt putting it on my Les Paul. I plan to buy a cheap yet playable guitar specifically for it, or put it on my Aria Pro II.
Do you have any music up online? I'd love to hear those pedalboards in action.

-------------

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 03:29

Wow, that's an impressive collection of effects Thumbs Up, it must be a pain every time you need to clean the floor LOL
I guess that when you switch half of that gear on it's probably impossible to recognize that what you're hearing comes from a guitar

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 06:17
No, I was thinking about the potentiometer inside the pedal.

Standard is hot potz 100k, try putting 250k inside and that way you'll get a wider wah range. It doesn't have anything to do with the outside switches and trimmers.
I am talking about the pot underneath the pedal - the one you move while playing and getting the wah wah effect

But crybaby 535q is pretty bad wah wah ime. I got rid of it when the first chance came by.
I only have the case of it.

-------------

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 11:20

No, I was thinking about the potentiometer inside the pedal.

Standard is hot potz 100k, try putting 250k inside and that way you'll get a wider wah range. It doesn't have anything to do with the outside switches and trimmers.
I am talking about the pot underneath the pedal - the one you move while playing and getting the wah wah effect

But crybaby 535q is pretty bad wah wah ime. I got rid of it when the first chance came by.
I only have the case of it.

I will look into this but I'm limited when it comes to technology and like I said earlier, I'm probably too obsessed with that one Jeff Beck song.
A lot of times I won't even use the wah wah effect. I will use the "always on" method by depressing the pedal until I get a sound I like and leaving it there for the entire song.
In the meantime, I have a Jimi Hendrix Experience artist series pedal by DigiTech that I can start playing around with.

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 11:44

Yours wouldn't be the first cat to be actively involved in music making. These ones below are superb; if they started meowing, they'd would sound very similar to some Sigur Ros music LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEAyHkFd6F4

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 12:00

Thank you for asking. Frankly not yet, but I'm working toward that. I'll post it on PA when I do, for sure.

Wow, that's an impressive collection of effects , it must be a pain every time you need to clean the floor.
You know it, and with my Voodoo Lab multiple AC power supply not fitting up well underneath as things are currently, the pedal boards are cumbersome to move. Ultimately I'm looking to get to where I've built cases for each of these boards and I can just lift them out and the power supplies come out with it all as one unit, and the only thing I have to do is plug one or two master plugs into a surge protector. I'm not quite there yet.
Originally posted by Gerinsky Gerinsky wrote:

I guess that when you switch half of that gear on it's probably impossible to recognize that what you're hearing comes from a guitar.
Oh, yes. Some of it can be really wild, but it's also meant to be a one man band sort of thing. I improvise a lot when I play/noodle even unplugged. The idea here, though, is to allow me to improvise in as much as four parts all at once in real time as if there four members of a band present. This set-up produces guitar, synth, base, and even drums to an extent with the Slicer (Although that's the weakest link). I do have an excellent drum machine, an Alesis SR-18, which not only has realistic drums but it also does odd time signatures. Nevertheless, having the freedom with percussion as I do with the other voices will require a little resourcefulness.

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 14:27
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Yours wouldn't be the first cat to be actively involved in music making. These ones below are superb; if they started meowing, they'd would sound very similar to some Sigur Ros music LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEAyHkFd6F4

That's just too precious. And they're really doing Prog too. I've gotta go share this with some other people.

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 17:12
BTW, your cat is not the only one loving music gear, here's our Carmen sitting on my amp Tongue

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 19:23

Pictured here are:
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Mooer Shimverb
Mooer Pitch Box

I'm so glad that I don't have to F--K with stuff anymore, but all the best to you HF. Smile

And remember, this is just the beginning.

Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 00:19

BTW, your cat is not the only one loving music gear, here's our Carmen sitting on my amp Tongue

Way to go Carmen!

Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 00:25
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I'm so glad that I don't have to F--K with stuff anymore, but all the best to you HF.
Thanks.

And remember, this is just the beginning.
Say what?

Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 01:09
Putting music online was mentioned earlier and I was wondering how that's done.
Do you use youtube or are there other sites for storing and sharing your music?

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 08:54

I'm so glad that I don't have to F--K with stuff anymore, but all the best to you HF.
Thanks.

And remember, this is just the beginning.
Say what?
Just jiving. I think you've got enough gear to last a long, long time. Cheers.

Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 11:00

Some people here upload their stuff to Soundcloud, you can find some examples in the 'PA Songwriters and Composers Association" thread. But I have never done it, I don't know how it works precisely.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94956&PN=15" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94956&PN=15

Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 11:24
A piece of Lizard sound Smile

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 16:37

Some people here upload their stuff to Soundcloud, you can find some examples in the 'PA Songwriters and Composers Association" thread. But I have never done it, I don't know how it works precisely.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94956&PN=15" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94956&PN=15

Thanks for the info, I will look into this.

Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 16:45

A piece of Lizard sound Smile

Nice guitars, and that HiWatt and Binson Echorec 2 look terrific!  Thumbs Up  

Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 16:50

You can store 3 hours of music with the free account, if you record as many music as me it's more than enough LOL

Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 16:52
Very nice indeed. 
I just bought a new camera yesterday and would like to post some pics.
But I'm still having trouble changing my avatar.

Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 18:09
Binson echorec is one of the best sounding echoes I've ever heard.
I owned roland re-301 chorus echo, roland re-201 space echo (I sold it to the keyboardist - that's how I found him) and they are nothing compared to a Binson.

But you also have to know how to use it, otherwise it is useless.

Now I am stuck with 4 echorecs (one of them is stereo) and one vintage binson PA system

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 20:19

There's also bandcamp, which allows you to charge money. How much money does the average artist actually make off that? Probably none if they aren't an established artist already. But it's nice to have the option.

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 21:27
My music is not on the level of something people would buy.
It is all instrumental with me playing three or four different guitar tracks.
When I first got the recorder I played around with it and ended up with several songs that I burned onto a CD. 
I gave them away to friends and family members.
They all said they liked it but, they kinda had to say that because they're friends and family.

Date Posted: May 09 2015 at 11:11
After saving some money and doing a lot of research, it all came down to try some guitars I had in mind on the store and analyse the sound and the feeling of playing the guitar. I also tried a high quality Ibanez, and I felt the same thing I do with my guitar of the same brand... nothing Ermm
I bought a 60th anniversary American Standard Fender Stratocaster and it sounds amazing, I already played a lot of Floyd with it Big smile

Thank you guys for all the great advices Thumbs Up

Date Posted: May 09 2015 at 11:29
^ Very, very nice. I'm envious.
I have loved my Strat since the day I got it and it has been played many times more
than any of my guitars.
I hope you have years of enjoyment playing that beauty.

Date Posted: May 09 2015 at 12:42
^ You can probably get one easier than me, since those are made in California Tongue
I wanted to make the right purchase, precisely because I want a guitar that I'll enjoy playing for many years. So far no regrets Big smile

Date Posted: May 09 2015 at 13:21
^ I'm trying to stay out of the music store because I always walk out with something I don't
need but wanted anyway. I'm like a kid in a candy store, I want one of everything. Wink 

Date Posted: May 09 2015 at 13:54
^That's how I am too!

Date Posted: May 10 2015 at 10:34
^^ Nothing wrong with that Big smile

Date Posted: May 12 2015 at 10:27
for an ultimate PF experience you need a Binson echorec :)

Congrats on your new guitar!

-------------

Date Posted: May 13 2015 at 04:03
^ You're right, I need to get some serious effects, although right now I'm still contemplating its amazing clean sound Wink

Thanks Siniša! I appreciated your suggestion the other day but I was affraid to regret my purchase, since I couldn't try those guitars Ermm

Date Posted: May 13 2015 at 16:58
You should also get a decent amp. Guitar and amp are the most important parts of the rig ;)

-------------

Date Posted: May 13 2015 at 17:18
Yes, I know, although it seems sad to get a lot of great equipment and having no one to play with Disapprove For now my combo amp will have to do Tongue

Date Posted: May 14 2015 at 05:37
You have a guy named Ampstack on FB.

He regularly posts good deals from ebay.uk. Check him out Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: May 14 2015 at 07:26
Thanks for the tip :)

Date Posted: May 14 2015 at 10:08
^  I've been using my Fender Blues Jr for about ten years and love it.
It is a 15 watt tube amp with one 12" 50 watt speaker but it sounds like a much bigger amp.
With the volume, master volume, and "fat" switch you can get a variety of sounds even without
separate effects.
Of course, any effects you choose will just sound better.

Date Posted: May 14 2015 at 11:03
^ I didn't remember to check for Fender amps, it's probably the safest choice, since it's from the same manufacturer. Thanks Gary, I'll keep that model in mind Thumbs Up

Date Posted: May 14 2015 at 11:59
^  Whether you get a Fender or another brand I suggest that it be a tube amp rather than solid state.
All amps were tube until solid state circuitry came about. Many manufacturers went that route but 
eventually guitarists discovered that they couldn't get that vintage sound no matter what settings and effects
they used. 
Fender and others eventually offered a line of tube amps for just that reason.

Date Posted: May 14 2015 at 17:13
^ That was already a requirement for me, the one I have now is a solid state and doesn't sound very good.
A friend of mine has a big Marshall tube amp that has an incredible sound Smile

Date Posted: June 16 2015 at 21:18
Signal noise.

Aargh!

Date Posted: June 16 2015 at 23:48
I now have a Fender Rumble 500 bass combo. I've been using my friend's Fuzzface through it, although I've been having trouble with volume drops when I turn on the pedal. Looking to get my own fuzz pretty soon.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk