Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100540
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 23:20
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: M. Night Shyamalan films
Posted By: Icarium
Subject: M. Night Shyamalan films
Date Posted: December 06 2014 at 10:41
He have Three good Movies, Ubreakable, the Sixth Sence and Signd and one Movie that us utter crap, The Last Airbender, which is a sad attempt to addapt a quality animated series to a Movie.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: December 06 2014 at 10:43
The Sixth Sense is his best, methinks.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Date Posted: December 06 2014 at 12:22
i think i have seen "Lady in the Water"

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: December 06 2014 at 12:38
I enjoyed the Sixth Sense, Signs, and The Village.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: December 06 2014 at 12:38
Unbreakable for me, excellent film.

Who the hell voted for Signs, the aliens make absolutely no sense in that film at all.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: December 06 2014 at 13:16
The Sixth Sense, no contest. I do like Unbreakable and bits and pieces from other of his flicks, but he backed himself up into a metaphysical corner from the get-go. After Unbreakable, certainly after Signs and The Village, the audiences were onto his sly ninja-move always managing to stick it's face into the movie at the very end. Everybody knew what to expect - or at the very least knew they should be expecting something a little fairytale like or even magical take place at some point during the movie.
Nothing worse than a talented film-maker turning predictable imho....and the man obviously has talent.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: December 06 2014 at 13:38
^have yyou seen Airbender Dead

-------------

Date Posted: December 06 2014 at 13:44
LOL
I actually kinda liked it, but then again I hadn't read the story beforehand. Not his best though.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: December 06 2014 at 13:51
I Wonder how they, he managed to make the dialoges become so disjointed,

have you seen the animated series, (if not \, do it in the honour of a kindergarden uncle) its probably the best animated series since Moomin.

-------------

Date Posted: December 06 2014 at 13:55
Oh i thought it was a bookEmbarrassed

Animated series eh? I guess I could force some kids into watching them with meBig smile

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: December 06 2014 at 14:02
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Oh i thought it was a bookEmbarrassed

Animated series eh? I guess I could force some kids into watching them with meBig smile

the firts series, are Three series where each season is refeard to as Book 1, Book 2 and Book 3, so you issent far ofTongue       Avatar_ the last Airbender is probably the best animated series (in comercial TV that might have come out of Nicelodian, rivaling, Gargoyles, and Ducktails.

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: December 06 2014 at 14:39
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

i think i have seen "Lady in the Water"
Stuart Little and Lady In The Water are the only ones I've seen. Liked both

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: December 06 2014 at 17:01
How can it NOT be Sixth Sense? LOL
I mean, I did like Signs for what it was...though it was hard to get past the....um, questionable acting and ridiculous plot holes (Aliens can't touch water, but walk a ok with the water in our atmosphere (Aliens are all over the place, random news report "We beat em back, they're leaving now")) but it was decent and the alien walking by shot did make me jump when I first saw itEmbarrassed

I didn't see "The Happening" but I wanted to, because I thought it had potential to be "so bad it's good." My roommate did find it hilarious in how stupid and dreadful it was. We debated if he did this on purpose or not. He felt it was just a sh*tty failed movie, I think (and he claims) it was an attempt to be a B movie, either way what a lolstorm!

Date Posted: December 06 2014 at 18:23
regarding Singn its a common element ofsomething called PIS (Plot Indused Stupidety)

-------------

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 00:26
I loved Unbreakable when it came out.  Not sure what I'd think if I saw it now.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 01:40
Signs for me.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 02:09
Unbreakable, though like infokitty I'm not sure if I'd still find it appealing.   Signs was alright.   He did seem to lose some inspiration by the time he made The Village.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 03:15
The Sixth Sense by a country mile.......I fell asleep during Signs and woke up when some alien dude was at the house front door, I was like whaaaaat??

-------------

Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 07:05
It'd be cool to see what he could do within the frames of realism. A war movie perhaps. Anything really to show his other talents, especially the knack he has for dark suspense as neatly demonstrated in most of his movies. 

Add to that, Del Toro already made the perfect film within the 'Shyamalan Universe' with Pan's Labyrinth. How can you possibly top that? Answer is you don't. You seek new pastures or go back to square one and see where it all went wrong. Somehow I don't see the latter happening as mr Shyamalan has continued to duplicate the one thing that continues to drag down his movies: the climax 'wow' or as I like to call it 'The Keyser Soze' move.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Walton Street
Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 07:13
Unbreakable was a fantastic movie - his best by far. A brave and unusual take on the superhero film
Sixth Sense was very good as well.

everything else was horrible - the unfortunate result of a supernova ego,
until After Earth which i thought was pretty good. I had no idea he'd directed it until the end credits.

-------------
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates

Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 07:16
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The Sixth Sense by a country mile.......I fell asleep during Signs and woke up when some alien dude was at the house front door, I was like whaaaaat??

there was one effective moment in that movie - the birthday party footage from south america .
but that was it.

Mel Gibson was terrible casting for that movie.

I never liked Willlis until i saw Sixth Sense and Unreakable - and as much as i hate to admit it - he would have been a better choice for Signs too.

no matter - it wasn't a good movie all around

-------------

- SpongeBob Socrates

Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 07:20
Nah, instead of Gibson, I'd take Tommy Lee Jones for the part. 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 08:40
I like this director.  I agree that the aliens in Signs make no sense, but I enjoyed that film regardless.  My favorite from him is The Village, the only movie of his that surprised me (unfortunately, the twist of The Sixth Sense was ruined by the time I got to see it).

And I agree that Unbreakable is a very good movie.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 10:31
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Nah, instead of Gibson, I'd take Tommy Lee Jones for the part. 

i could see that

-------------

- SpongeBob Socrates

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: December 09 2014 at 19:28
I thought the twist at the end to The Village kind of stunk, but other than that, it wasn't that bad of a film.

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: December 10 2014 at 19:02
Unbreakable

-------------

Date Posted: December 11 2014 at 08:49
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

I thought the twist at the end to The Village kind of stunk, but other than that, it wasn't that bad of a film.

I have seen countless thousands of films ... I hate the Village more than any other film I've ever seen :)

-------------

- SpongeBob Socrates

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: March 16 2015 at 06:40
its  MG movie for me...

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: March 16 2015 at 12:44
I went with Signs because I could put it on today and enjoy it like I had never seen it before.
I could say the same for The Sixth Sense but you can only vote once.
The Happening was a contender for the story line and the acting.
I could not get into Unbreakable which surprised me because Willis and Jackson are two favorites.
I may revisit it soon and see if my opinion changes.
Lady In The Water is one I have not seen but keep meaning to. I'm a long time fan of Paul Giamatti
and from the short previews I have seen I think I might like it.

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: March 16 2015 at 13:53
I believe that the main mistake of The Village was giving Bryce Dallas Howard the leading role.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: March 16 2015 at 15:13
If anyone here goes for Airbender, they will be taken outside and shot... Stern Smile

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 16 2015 at 15:22
oh that is a ..ahem.. no brainer..

classic!!! LOL The scene that launched a 1000 memes.  Joaquin Phoenix rocked in this one.  One helluva actor and those children were precious.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: March 16 2015 at 15:29
^^ They look like Hershey's Kisses.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 16 2015 at 15:36
yeah...  they do don't they LOL ummm... chocolate!

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: May 15 2015 at 07:14
saw first episode of wayward pines yesterday, IT was splendid, and so intence, Matt Dillon is one of my favourites, just amazing.  geat work by Shyamalan.

-------------

Date Posted: May 15 2015 at 09:02

saw first episode of wayward pines yesterday, IT was splendid, and so intence, Matt Dillon is one of my favourites, just amazing.  geat work by Shyamalan.

I'm watching and taping.....I was a little disappointed in it. Thought the plot was a bit too obvious for the first episode though the acting and filming was good.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: May 15 2015 at 09:14
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I'm watching and taping.....I was a little disappointed in it. Thought the plot was a bit too obvious for the itfirst episode though the acting and filming was good.
it had a Dry texture, rawness , images of clarity, reminds me of David Cronenbergs History of Violence and Unbreakable by poll namesake,

-------------

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: May 15 2015 at 10:58
The one with the twist

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Date Posted: May 16 2015 at 06:40
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

If anyone here goes for Airbender, they will be taken outside and shot... Stern Smile
have you Seen the original animated series?

-------------

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 12:34
The Sixth Sense was his masterpiece. He never reached the same level of quality with his other films, unfortunately.

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 14:20
The Last Airbender...

Ha! What a joke. That movie lived up to all the bad reviews it got. Sixth Sense was quite the opposite of that.

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Date Posted: June 03 2015 at 00:55

I'm watching and taping.....I was a little disappointed in it. Thought the plot was a bit too obvious for the itfirst episode though the acting and filming was good.
it had a Dry texture, rawness , images of clarity, reminds me of David Cronenbergs History of Violence and Unbreakable by poll namesake,
three episodes inn, quite intence

-------------

Date Posted: June 03 2015 at 13:40

I'm enjoying it.....made the mistake of reading reviews about the books it's based on....now I know the plot and the surprise is ruined for me., but it's still an enjoyable mystery.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: June 04 2015 at 05:49
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

The Last Airbender...

Ha! What a joke. That movie lived up to all the bad reviews it got. Sixth Sense was quite the opposite of that.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f0/11/e0/f011e058ee925932d2c37124e281dd38.jpg

-------------

Date Posted: June 26 2015 at 15:55

I'm enjoying it.....made the mistake of reading reviews about the books it's based on....now I know the plot and the surprise is ruined for me., but it's still an enjoyable mystery.
how is the series going for you now?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk