Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100566
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 22:36
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Lord of the Rings vs Star Wars
Posted By: Ozark Soundscape
Subject: The Lord of the Rings vs Star Wars
Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 17:48
Two highly acclaimed, epic trilogies; probably the highest respected in fantasy and sci-fi, respectively, with enormous and beyond dedicated followings consisting of people of virtually all possible combinations of age, race, nationality, and beliefs. Who will win!?

This is for the movies only. Do not count the Star Wars prequels or trilogy of the Hobbit films.

Replies:
Posted By: Roland113
Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 18:30
Lord of the Rings.

I'm not going to bore you with the details but this exact question was presented to me in a very real world situation and I quickly chose The Lord of the Rings.

-------------
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 19:02
The Adventures of Luke Skywalker, as taken from The Journal of The Whills, Saga I: The Star Wars

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 19:09
TLotR

-------------

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 19:11
The Lord of the Rings

I've always seen Star Wars as Tolkien in space (well, D&D in space).

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 19:37
It's like confronting two different generations, for me obviously Star Wars by a light-year.

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: Walton Street
Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 19:38
Lord of the Rings!

-------------
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 19:50
If we were simply comparing directors, Spielberg is way way better than Jackson. But. LoTR has the benefit of awesome source material and more or less sticks to the source material. Not to mention, Jackson's special effects back then weren't the high-budget horror they are today.

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 19:59
wat

Spielberg have absolutly nothing to do with Star Wars, zero = zinch,

they are throug-and-through George Lucass baby.

-------------

Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 20:06
Nope. George Lucas actually had little to do with the original trilogy by the end of it. He had the original idea, but a lot of his ideas had to be taken out or changed by better writers and directors than him. We're talking about the man responsible for the prequel trilogies and Howard the Duck. George Lucas had a great imagination, but little skill. He was tempered by some good writers and a great director.

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 21:40
One has Jar Jar Binks one doesn't, nuff said LotR.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 21:55
Lord of the Rings, hands down.

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Posted By: Ozark Soundscape
Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 23:30
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Ozark Soundscape Ozark Soundscape wrote:

Do not count the Star Wars prequels or trilogy of the Hobbit films.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: December 08 2014 at 00:08
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Nope. George Lucas actually had little to do with the original trilogy by the end of it. He had the original idea, but a lot of his ideas had to be taken out or changed by better writers and directors than him. We're talking about the man responsible for the prequel trilogies and Howard the Duck. George Lucas had a great imagination, but little skill. He was tempered by some good writers and a great director.

Fair enough but he also gave us American Graffiti, THX 1138, and wrote most if not all of Episode 4; If you're gonna knock him you might as well credit him where he's due.

And Spielberg sucks eggs.  He hasn't done anything good since Close Encounters and his best film was probably Duel  forty-three years ago.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: December 08 2014 at 18:06

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: December 08 2014 at 18:09
Star Wars

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: December 08 2014 at 20:26

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Do not count the Star Wars prequels or trilogy of the Hobbit films.

Jar Jar is so bad he's poisoned the first 3 movies for me even though he's not in them!! Oh and Ewoks!

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: December 08 2014 at 20:33
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Fair enough but he also gave us American Graffiti, THX 1138, and wrote most if not all of Episode 4; If you're gonna knock him you might as well credit him where he's due.

And Spielberg sucks eggs.  He hasn't done anything good since Close Encounters and his best film was probably Duel  forty-three years ago.

True about George Lucas. Maybe I went a bit far trying to prove my point about Lucas' hand in SW. But Spielberg is better than Peter Jackson at the very least. To Kubrick he does not compare, obviously.

-------------

Posted By: Greg W
Date Posted: December 08 2014 at 21:11
Both are awesome. Too hard to choose.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: December 09 2014 at 02:42
Lord of the Rings. By faaaaaaaaaar the best movies.

I recently watched all three of the original Star Wars flicks and boy do I wish that I hadn't. I grew up with them and must've watched them a 100 times each.
Seeing those movies without the rose-tinted glasses however made me realise how bad most of the actors are. The only one really worth his salt is, perhaps not too surprisingly, Alec Guiness. Mark Hamill is absolutely dreadful and the same goes for Carrie Fisher....and don't get me started on the dialogue!
...and to think that I worshipped these movies back when I was 10Shocked

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: December 09 2014 at 03:02
^ I'm a huge SW Universe fan but I have to agree, for the most part Episodes 5 & 6 are duuullllll, and Lucas' remasters are horrifying, making a tolerable trilogy almost unwatchable.   I still admire A New Hope for its economy of storytelling and very important innovations in Science Fantasy at the time; you see that movie in almost every space flick from that point forward.   I'm a bigger fan of the prequels and I'm hoping these new films will leave out the stuff meant only for kids.   Kids get it, they don't need a JarJar, I sure didn't when I was ten.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: December 09 2014 at 03:03
Ringo Starr

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: December 09 2014 at 03:09

^ I'm a huge SW Universe fan but I have to agree, for the most part Episodes 5 & 6 are duuullllll, and Lucas' remasters are horrifying, making a tolerable trilogy almost unwatchable.   I still admire A New Hope for its economy of storytelling and very important innovations in Science Fantasy at the time; you see that movie in almost every space flick from that point forward.   I'm a bigger fan of the prequels and I'm hoping these new films will leave out the stuff meant only for kids.   Kids get it, they don't need a JarJar, I sure didn't when I was ten.

There is no getting around it, whether one digs the acting or not, but those early flicks practically reinvented the scifi genre, and for that they deserve credit.....lots of it.
Just like you see The Godfather movies spilling into every other movie made about the mafia since then. 

And no we certainly didn't need a Jar Jar. Nobody needs a Jar Jar!

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: December 09 2014 at 03:57
i saw Forbidden Planet recently, just saying.

-------------

Date Posted: December 09 2014 at 04:15
^ That's a tremendous movie, some of those matte paintings are spectacular.  Talk about influential.

-------------

Date Posted: December 09 2014 at 04:23
if one take that and Lawrence of Arabia, you get Star Wars (scenery ) :o.

-------------

Posted By: Walton Street
Date Posted: December 09 2014 at 06:34
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I recently watched all three of the original Star Wars flicks and boy do I wish that I hadn't. I grew up with them and must've watched them a 100 times each.
Seeing those movies without the rose-tinted glasses however made me realise how bad most of the actors are. The only one really worth his salt is, perhaps not too surprisingly, Alec Guiness. Mark Hamill is absolutely dreadful and the same goes for Carrie Fisher....and don't get me started on the dialogue!

I think the first one was excellent .. a crisp fresh sci-fi take on the old serial cliffhangers from back in the day.
The next 2 were toy commercials.
the three after that - ugh..

-------------
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: December 09 2014 at 09:25
Star Wars has some of the worst dialogue ever, which of course works well with the wooden actors involved. How Alec Guinness got caught up in this, I'll never know. Perhaps the most overrated movies of all time.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: December 09 2014 at 11:14
Both great, but Lord Of The Rings is better.

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: December 09 2014 at 19:23

I thought Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade was good. But that's just me.

Back on Topic, LotR.

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Date Posted: December 09 2014 at 21:49
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Star Wars has some of the worst dialogue ever, which of course works well with the wooden actors involved. How Alec Guinness got caught up in this, I'll never know. Perhaps the most overrated movies of all time.

No--  Guinness, who didn't like sci-fi, took the role because of the script.

-------------

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: December 09 2014 at 21:54
I vote Lord of the Rings because my imagination can take this beyond, however space topics are a bit to clever for me ErmmHug

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: December 09 2014 at 21:56
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I think the first one was excellent .. a crisp fresh sci-fi take on the old serial cliffhangers from back in the day.
The next 2 were toy commercials.
the three after that - ugh..

Yep, you summed that up nicely. 

For the poll, Star Wars.  The Jackson films are neat looking at first but don't have much soul.  Empty calories, especially when all the battles start.  They could have been great films if they had the large budget, but more subtlety, less cartoonishness, more of the dry aesthetic vibe of the book.  Of course that isn't the kind of film the public wants anymore.  So from a commercial standpoint, Jackson's film are perfection.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: December 10 2014 at 11:24
Star Wars original trilogy for me;......the special effects and overall look of TLOTR is superb but the storyline  drags at times and many of the characters simply don't engage me. 
I read the Tolkien novels in college in the early 70's and they were engaging at times though they also dragged in a few places.
I wish the original Star Wars trilogy was a little darker and more intense at times but it is what it is.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: December 10 2014 at 13:44
Star Wars, although I would really like to see the "original" original trilogy and not those special c**p editions. Dead

Date Posted: December 11 2014 at 20:34
^ I think those versions are (were) included on the deluxe remasters

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: January 16 2015 at 16:21
The one with the Academy Award, Lord of the Rings.

Am I the only one who finds the Ewoks ever so slightly more annoying than Jar Jar Binks.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: January 20 2015 at 14:36
its the lord of the rings for me...

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 22 2015 at 13:31

Hi,

SW was a mess in writing, and Hollywood has never been known for good writing ... because it's all entertainment and no one cares anyway, except how much money it rakes in!

LOTR, at least, had much more solid footing and story that fit a bit more towards literature than the comic book stuff in Star Wars.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk