Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100664
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 22:49
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Psych Rock Lounge
Posted By: Guldbamsen
Subject: The Psych Rock Lounge
Date Posted: December 15 2014 at 10:21

Sure there's a tongue stuck firmly in cheek here, but I genuinely adore the psychedelic sounds of the 60s and 70s. It was my first real musical love and for that it will always hold a very special place in my knee. 

The Steve Miller Band, Cream, The United States Of America, Red Krayola, Dr John: The Night Tripper, The 13th Floor Elevators, Small Faces, Traffic, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Grateful Dead, Ultimate Spinach, Burnin' Red Ivanhoe, Young Flowers, Steppeulvene, The Electric Prunes, The Chocolate Watch Band, Love, Ten Years After (Stonedhenge baby!), Blue Cheer and Jimi and Jim and Janis and all those other fantastic creatures from a time and place that was absolutely magical (flowers aside).
This is the thread for all your faves, old and young, because a marvellous forum like this will of course also be able to embrace all of the throwback madness that's been going on in recent years with acts such as Tame Impala, Pond, Foxygen, Temples, The Soundcarriers, Ariel Pink and The Flaming LipsSmile

Go on, let's have it! What are your experiences with this wonderful branch of rock music?

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Replies:
Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: December 15 2014 at 10:25
WE DON'T WANT NO STINKIN THREAD
WE WANT A WHOLE FORUM DEDICATED TO THIS TOPIC
AFTER ALL IT'S MORE PROGRESSIVE THAN bla bla bla bla

Sorry, lost my cool there for a moment.
BUT THAT'S OKAY FOR MEE!

BECAUSE I AM A WILD AND CRAZY GUY!

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: December 15 2014 at 10:29
^Thanks Dave, but I hope that the ultimate purpose of listing experimental psych groups under PA's Psychedelic Space Rock genre is what this site accomplishes in the long term.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: December 15 2014 at 10:30
LOL

Reminds me of the guy who once said something clever about greasing the camel...

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: December 15 2014 at 10:32
Im not sure his will qualify - but !!

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: Toaster Mantis
Date Posted: December 15 2014 at 10:32
It's... it's... happening!

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Date Posted: December 15 2014 at 10:36
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Thanks Dave, but I hope that the ultimate purpose of listing experimental psych groups under PA's Psychedelic Space Rock genre is what this site accomplishes in the long term.

That will never happen Steve. Ok maybe, but it would take a complete change of personnel as well as an entirely new site. Sorry, I know how much you believe in this, but I am in full agreement with Uwe (Rivertree) who is 'ringleader' of the psych team. 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: December 15 2014 at 10:38
One of Ariel Pink's more psychedelic moments.  All the more remarkable because it was created just by overdubbing himself at home.  A great example of how "lo-fi" recording can really add to the value of a piece of music.  Release date was circa 2006, but it sounds much older to me.

-------------

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: December 15 2014 at 10:41

Never look a gift horse in the mouth!

Headstone. The 13th floor Elevators never released first album featuring clean recordings of the band's classic material from The Psychedelic Sounds of The 13 FE's first muddy sounding album and showcases why Roky Erickson is perhaps America's  greatest rock vocalist. Just slightly Psych at this stage but if you were  taken by the band's appearance and back story on Dave Grohl's Sonic Highways series on HBO and want to explore this true American musical cult phenomenon, then this is the place to start.

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: December 15 2014 at 11:29
Hey this is was great idea! As usual in PA Forum!

Coincidently I listened the whole morning to a band that has become one of my favourites: I'm talking about The Doors, they are awesome ! Glad to recall them here and there.

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Date Posted: December 15 2014 at 14:23
I'm pretty sure the 13th Floor Elevators were the very first music group to identify their own style as "psychedelic". The http://visupview.blogspot.dk/2014/08/slip-inside-this-house-nightmare-trip.html" rel="nofollow - behind-the-scenes history of not just Roky Erickson's life but the careers of the other musicians also reads like something straight out of Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus Trilogy.

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Date Posted: December 15 2014 at 14:46
^Thanks for the uplink on the Elevators, TM. They always had a great story that sometimes overshadowed the music. I hope that people will come to appreciate them more, now. 

And the 'It's a happening' vid was so good that I had a flashback. 

-------------

Date Posted: December 15 2014 at 16:14
The 13th Floor Elevators also made  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwSA0Tckwbk" rel="nofollow - 'Slip inside this House' Heart Funny thing is that I love the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW0d6mFqrpM" rel="nofollow - cover done by Primal Scream just as muchBig smile

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: December 15 2014 at 16:35
I love 60's/70's psych though I'm not an afficionado like others here...I grew up on 60's top 40 radio and psych was a good chunk of what was popular.  It's funny, I've always thought there was a very fine line between psych and early prog to the point that I don't really distinguish between them Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 08:05
A lounge within a lounge is not a lounge Wink

An annex or room perhaps Ermm

A 'lounge' ought to be subject to PA approval. Well I guess it is sort of, given that Guldbamsen initiated the thread Confused

Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 09:25
^Ok, enough of that. On with the show!

If there's any current pop rock group more misunderstood than the Flaming Lips, I would like to meet them.

Formed as an Alt Rock group some 30 years ago by the Coyne brothers and joined by an multi instrumentalist who took the job as their drummer, the Flaming Lips exuded a psych pop vibe while remaining brother Wayne Coyne wrote existential lyrics that were hidden by  both their music and "the world is a giant party" day glow persona. This netted the group the critically acclaimed 2002 album Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots which sold well and was backed with two similar albums before the band took a serious detour and produced two albums that were both musically and lyrically existential. 2009's Embryonic and 2013's The Terror evoked Popol Vuh like soundscapes of dread, from multi instrumentalist Steven Drzod, now coupled with Coyne's dark  and cynical lyrics. One song from The Terror starts off with the line "You've got a lot of nerve to F___ with me."

From the Flaming Lips? Really? Yes.

However, all of this putting the band into some kind of schizophrenic identity.

Solution to the problem? The Lips remake Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band in their own image and call the album "With a Little Help From My Fwends" (The spelling is correct).

Is it any good? I think so as I did not feel an urge to play the original after hearing it.

I think that The Lips found a way to merge their musical personalities on this one coupled with, what I suspect, is part lo fi home recording mixed with hi fi studio trickery to give the album an almost 3D sound effect.

But I think the trick is not to take album seriously.  After all, the Flaming Lips never took themselves seriously either.
With A Little Help From My Fwends CD The Flaming Lips http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Faudioaddictmag.com%2F2014%2F10%2F29%2Freview-the-flaming-lips-with-a-little-help-from-my-fwends%2F&ei=q0-QVIz8G5LfsATI5oGICg&bvm=bv.81828268,d.cWc&psig=AFQjCNErLUpirhSpbIeiM_WtxeY7AJ6sXg&ust=1418830134205141" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 09:37
The Flaming Lips' evolution has been remarkable, but it has also been very gradual, punctuated every ten years or so with a more pronounced leap forward.  I listened to them in the late 80s in college, and I never would have dreamed they would still be around today, let alone leading the pack of experimental pop.

I've hopped on/off board and followed them loosely ever since then, but I don't think I really considered myself a true fan until their recent abrasive Krautrock phase kicked in a few years ago.  Once I got that, I had a more sympathetic view towards their other albums leading up to it.  On paper, they're not doing anything overly crazy or complex. But the mere fact that they can come up with all these random ideas in the first place, and then actually put these crazy whims into practice, and turn them into enjoyable albums, is a pretty impressive feat. 

The 4 CD simultaneous experiment of "Zaireeka" seems like a pretty obvious gimmick now that it's actually been done, but can you imagine what leaps of logic and imagination were necessary to actually give birth to the idea and to the finished product?

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 13:55
The Lips are pretty great. Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots is a wonderful album of light, happy neo-psych. And The Soft Bulletin is just masterful; we got a lot from their first trip into psych.

Heck, if it weren't for In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, then The Soft Bulletin would've probably ended up the ITCOTCK for American indie.

Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 14:30
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The 13th Floor Elevators also made  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwSA0Tckwbk" rel="nofollow - 'Slip inside this House' Heart Funny thing is that I love the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW0d6mFqrpM" rel="nofollow - cover done by Primal Scream just as muchBig smile

On the subject of Roky Erickson, how many of his solo albums are worth hearing? I quite enjoy Roky Erickson and the Aliens and Gremlins Have Pictures, not quite sold on the acoustic albums yet though.

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 14:48
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

On the subject of Roky Erickson, how many of his solo albums are worth hearing? I quite enjoy Roky Erickson and the Aliens and Gremlins Have Pictures, not quite sold on the acoustic albums yet though.
I used to have an album of his called "Don't Slander Me" which was pretty good.  It came out in the 80s and is pretty good raw rock and roll.  Apart from that, I have a 2 CD compilation of Roky (solo and with the Elevators) called "I Have Always Been Here Before" that appears to be a good cross section of his career.  Overall Roky Erickson hasn't really captured my affections all that much (a handful of Elevators songs notwithstanding), but that compilation is good to have in case I need more convincing.

http://www.amazon.com/Have-Always-Been-Here-Before/dp/B0007MRXUG" rel="nofollow - http://www.amazon.com/Have-Always-Been-Here-Before/dp/B0007MRXUG

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Rivertree
Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 14:56
here we go - the psych rock lounge has been opened Handshake
let me propose a typical band which is really excellent, though can't be filed under the progressive rock tag - Tame Impala

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Rivertree" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 14:57
Here is a death metal cover of a Roky Erickson song by the way, I'm kind of surprised there aren't more considering the horror B-movie themes in a good deal of his solo discography. I like that they actually preserve a sort of psychedelic feel with the way the interweaving feedback from the guitar and bass are used. (something Autopsy have also utilized to great effect, not sure if they're actually inspired by Roky though)

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 15:03
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

here we go - the psych rock lounge has been opened Handshake
let me propose a typical band which is really excellent, though can't be filed under the progressive rock tag - Tame Impala

Truly wonderful band. Lonerism is a masterpiece, and I love this one description I got of it once: "This sounds like The Beatles making a Radiohead album."

Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 16:34
^Thanks for the videos, guys. Tame Impala is awesome but this is the first time I've seen the vid, and I didn't know Entombed did a cover of Vampire, which was way cool.

And have to thank David for the Primal Scream cover of Slip Inside. Now I'm into Primal Scream, again.

-------------

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 03:22
Tame Impala remind me a bit of Spiritualized or some of the other overtly psychedelic/spacy 1980s/1990s indie rock groups but with a more selfconsciously retro production... perhaps also less Velvet Underground-isms.

Do the VU count as psychedelic, by the way? I'm not really sure, ideologically they were very different from that subculture but on the other hand they were a large influence on it in particular the Kosmische Musik movement. (I prefer that classification to "Krautrock" for several reasons)

-------------

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 03:34
Just an idear : Delete the videolink when quoting
No need to post the same video link again

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 04:18
Judged solely by how they sounded, I'd say VU were psychedelic in their approach. Venus in Furs is one of the most iconic psych tunes of the 60s together with White Rabbit. There was and is obviously a lot more to their music, but more than often you get that gooey thick wobbly carpet-like sound of theirs, and to me that first and foremost screams psych.

And I agree, they did influence a fair few Krautrock acts from the motorik end of the scene. Throw in Ummagumma and the Saucerful of Secrets piece, and you wind up with (some of) the fuel that started the fire. Personally I think the mindset of the time, still with a major hangover from WWll, was to blame for the explorative and wild nature of the music. Something had to give.

In many ways the same can be said about the birth of the psych scene. It's crazy when you think of how much brilliant and boundary pushing music that has been made in the face of violence and war.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 04:29
VU are in a similar position as The Doors in that while using many of the same stylistic innovations as the psychedelic rock scene, in terms of "ethos" they came from a different perspective. Looking at the two bands' ideologies they strike me more as forerunners of respectively the noise rock and gothic rock movements of the 1980s. Similar situation as The Stooges' relationship to punk, for that matter.

I guess it depends on how much you define music genres as specific sounds or styles, versus how much you define them as cultural movements.

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 04:44
Approve

-------------
What?

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 05:06
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

A lounge within a lounge is not a lounge Wink

An annex or room perhaps Ermm

A 'lounge' ought to be subject to PA approval. Well I guess it is sort of, given that Guldbamsen initiated the thread Confused
David has the ability to create a sub-forum/lounge ... I suspect he just doesn't know how.  Wink

Meanwhile, an early British Psych band (from my home town to boot)

-------------
What?

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 08:55
^'lounge' ought to be replaced with a more appropriate term in the thread title before it blows up in our faces.

It was created with good intentions but if it continues under the radar I fear it will eventually end up as an official/actual/real lounge.

This is how the site slowly deteriorates.

SteveG probably hasn't stopped rubbing his hands since the creation of this 'lounge'.

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 09:16
The only difference between a lounge and a thread is comfier chairs.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 11:31
The new Foxygen album, ...And Star Power, is pretty wierd Psych, especial when you get past the first 3-4 tracks.

-------------

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 11:46
VU & The Doors is Psych in my book, even though the style is a bit different from the main Psych sound, (if such a thing exist)

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 12:49
There are of course a lot of good psych rock bands out there from the old days and some good new ones also...2 of my favorites from  the late 80's,...

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 13:38
Of course! The Bevis Frond.  Andy Ward (ex-Camel) was their drummer for quite a while.  Love the Frond.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 15:52
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

David has the ability to create a sub-forum/lounge ... I suspect he just doesn't know how.  Wink

[/QUOTE] Dean, thanks for the video and the support and also for introducing properly to the Fingers as I've never heard their work.

If this thread can introduce some members to artists just outside of prog (and that includes me) without upsetting the PA apple cart, I will be very grateful just for that. And I definitely had the Dukes in mind for this thread. Thanks again.

-------------

Date Posted: December 18 2014 at 15:56
Just to follow up on the Dukes of the Stratosphere video. For those unfamiliar with the group, The Dukes Of The Strastophere is a nom de disc for English new wavers XTC, who put out an EP and full length album of
of fun pysch pop that references Barrett era Floyd, Walrus era Beatles and many others 60's era pysch rock groups like the Zombies and The Move. Pictured above is a reissue of 1985's EP 25 O'clock that comes in a cool mini book with liner notes that mimic Floyd's CD liner notes for their Piper album. 

The 1987 Psonic Psunspots album is also available in a mini book CD format. Both albums are also available on vinyl.

If you like XTC along with prog music, these two albums are a lot of fun and stand up musically on their own.

Date Posted: December 18 2014 at 16:04
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

The new Foxygen album, ...And Star Power, is pretty wierd Psych, especial when you get past the first 3-4 tracks.

Not surprising as they're one of  guest artists on the new Flaming Lips album "With a Little Help from my Fwends".

-------------

Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 10:05
White Light/White Heat: The Velvet Underground.
When PA members ask if VU should be considered proto prog, no doubt it's this 1868 album that that comes to the fore of the discussion. After splitting off with Nico after VU's debut album, the band signed an endorsement contract with effects manufacturer Vox. Using every conceivable effects processor from that company, the group recorded the extremely advant garde White Light/White Heat album (the name may have been prompted by producing white noise in the studio which in 1968 was a nightmare to record). The album's standout  track is the seventeen and a half minute long proto prog epic Sister Ray.

The album's black on black cover seems like an answer to The Beatles' "white album" cover design.

This album was a giant step away from psych toward early American prog. However the term progressive in 1968 only referred to American revisionist politics. So unless something changes, sixties psych rock is this album's worthy home.

Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 11:06
A truly lovely, noisy album that is.  Really out there for 1868.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 12:38

This album was giant step away from psych toward prog. 
Just curious, by example, what is progressive psych according to Steve'TheLobbyist'G ?

(I see there's still life in "The Psych Rock Lobby", that's what I think it should be called Wink)

Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 12:42
Without lobbyists, there would be no lobbies.  And without lobbies, there would be no elevators.  And without elevators, there would be no Roky Erickson.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 13:58
^And without the Elevators, there would be no Moving Sidewalks. The second great psychedelic blues band to emerge from Texas featuring the great Billy Gibbons on guitar, who would go on to mega success with ZZ Top.
Featured is the band's one and only album from 1969 titled Flash. Another gem from the early world of Psychedelic rock.

Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 14:43
A step backwards as this album from 1970 is listed under Heavy Prog, which does seem appropriate as Quartermas were like a heavier version of ELP and a bit gruffer. The group still had a bit of a psych vibe going on as well so Quartermas is excellent for pysch fans, proto fans as well as heavy prog fans.

Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 15:02

A step backwards as this album from 1970 is listed under Heavy Prog, which does seem appropriate as Quartermas were like a heavier version of ELP and a bit gruffer. The group still had a bit of a psych vibe going on as well so Quartermas is excellent for pysch fans, proto fans as well as heavy prog fans.

Love this one. Definitely at a unique intersection of psych, hard rock, and the old keys/bass/drums combo.Thumbs Up

Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 16:04
Hey, just found this:

Kappa, by the band Samurai. Not the British band, but the Japanese one featuring Mickey Curtis. Some wonderful psych, both light and heavy, and very progressive. Is featured on this site. I'm loving it, I would recommend it, and I will review it soon.

Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 17:21
This ...

-------------

Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 17:28
^ Awesome. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 18:30
and now something contemporary

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2014 at 09:08
Electric Wurms

Musik Die Shwer zu Twerk LP Vinyl

Musik De Schewer Zu Twerk

For fans of the Flaming Lips' moody Krautrock excursions with the excellent 2009 album Embryonic and 2013's darker masterpiece The Terror, and find the Lips' new Sgt. Pepper offering too goofy or sacrilegious. Musik De Shewer Twerk  (Music That's Hard to Twerk to) by The Electric Wurms is an EP of Flaming Lips head honchos
Wayne Coyne and Steven Drozd, together with some musician friends, producing another keyboard laden album of soundscapes marked out with ghostly guitar and is an a similar vane to The Terror. Steven Drozd is still in the musical drivers seat on this one and the EP doesn't disappoint.  

Date Posted: December 20 2014 at 09:25
Stardeath and The White Dwarfs
The day has finally come!!! The new SDWD record “Wastoid” is out July 29th on Federal Prism Records!!!
Wastoid

Stardeath and The White Dwarfs share a similar sound to the Flaming Lips (Wayne Conye of the Lips is Star Deaths leader Jeff Coyne's uncle), but the band is more guitar based, heavier at times, serious, existential and also markedly psychedelic. Wastoid by WD&SD is another great album for fans of the Flaming Lips' Embryonic and The Terror albums. 

Date Posted: December 20 2014 at 15:45

Bakery's Momento. Another excellent piece of proggy psych mixing lighter and heavier elements. This Australian band also switches up between guitar and keys as lead instrument a lot. A very interesting and enjoyable listen.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: December 20 2014 at 15:54
does Janis Joplin count as psych?

-------------

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 12:01

Just to follow up on the Dukes of the Stratosphere video. For those unfamiliar with the group, The Dukes Of The Strastophere is a nom de disc for English new wavers XTC, who put out an EP and full length album of
of fun pysch pop that references Barrett era Floyd, Walrus era Beatles and many others 60's era pysch rock groups like the Zombies and the Move. Pictured above is a reissue of 1985's EP 25 O'clock that comes in a cool mini book with liner notes that mimic Floyd's CD liner notes for their Piper album. 

The 1987 Psonic Psunspots album is also available in a mini book CD format. Both albums are also available on vinyl.

If you like XTC along with prog music, these two albums are a lot of fun and stand up musically on their own.

I'm a big XTC fan and those are  both excellent and fun albums....recommended to all psych rock fans and of course XTC fans.
Thumbs Up

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 12:36
Not as 'heavy' as some of the other psych rock bands but these guys always made me feel good when I listened to them.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 12:56
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

does Janis Joplin count as psych?

I think Joplin's music was strictly in the realm of Blues Rock, but her psychedelic Porsche should give her an honorary inclusion to the Psyche Lounge!

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 13:18
Can't get enough live Hendrix? Don't worry, be happy.

With the current availability of nine live Hendrix albums, Live At Monterrey Live in The West, Winterland. Live At Berkeley Live In Miami, live at Woodstock, Live at Oakland, Live at Woburn and the evergreen Band Of Gypsys, there's more than a few choices available for fans of Hendrix live outings (like me).

Many complain that it's greed from the Hendrix estate that is the motive for all these releases but I think not as fans are crazy for this stuff. And it's a long way off from the 50 plus live offerings available from Stevie Ray Vaughan, who was recorded in everything from concert halls, television shows and corner bars, with wildly erratic sound quality.

The Hendrix live discs are of varying quality too but all are listenable with some being better than others. My personal picks are Live at Berkeley and Miami, with Live at Monterrey and Woodstock having excellent historical as well as musical value.

I don't believe there's anymore decent live material available to pilferage from the Hendrix vaults (at least I hope not) as it's probably of sub par quality. Unfortunately, that hasn't stop people from issuing sub par concert material from other artists in the past. 
Jimi-Hendrix-Experience-Live-At-Berke-Jimi-Hendrix-Experie

-------------

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 13:25
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

This ...

That was amazing Uwe! Clap

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 13:31
^Absolutely! Two cool vids from Raintree and Dr.Wu. Clap

-------------

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 13:34

Jimi-Hendrix-Experience-Live-At-Berke-Jimi-Hendrix-Experie

Love all the Hendrix live material, especially that Berkeley show. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 16:53
Interesting how we all view these various artists.....for instance growing up listening to these bands when they were happening I never thought of Cream or Hendrix as 'psychedelic rock' but more as just  rock with blues and psych elements.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 22:49
Just blind bought Musik, Die Schwer Zu Twerk off your rec, Steve, and it's awesome. Thumbs Up

Sounds like a mix of psychedelic and proggy takes on not just rock, but also glitch and neo-Hi-NRG. Very unique and enjoyable.

Date Posted: December 22 2014 at 05:22
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Interesting how we all view these various artists.....for instance growing up listening to these bands when they were happening I never thought of Cream or Hendrix as 'psychedelic rock' but more as just  rock with blues and psych elements.
No wonder 'psychedelic rock' is virtually an undefinable genre. 'Get-stoned-to music' ('Got-stoned-to') seems to be the best description of the music, which really could mean any genre of music.

Date Posted: December 22 2014 at 05:25
I think of psychedelic rock as more of a "cultural movement" than a genre of music. That's the reason I said earlier in this thread that I'm not sure whether to count The Doors and Velvet Underground as part of it: In terms of lyrical themes, visual aesthetic and overall guiding philosophy they seem to have come from a somewhat different place than most of the groups mentioned here.

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: December 22 2014 at 05:51
that Hendrix Berkeley show is fantastic, and the Live at the Fillmore East set is awesome too Thumbs Up Clap

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: December 22 2014 at 05:59
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

that Hendrix Berkeley show is fantastic, and the Live at the Fillmore East set is awesome too Thumbs Up Clap

Clap Indeed it is. I always thought the Fillmore East concert was his best moment not only because of his playing but also due to his very tight band. Buddy Miles really made a lot of difference, the songs became more powerful and punchy with his drumming.

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: December 22 2014 at 06:06
Did I put a mention in for my band, here ?
Latest album
https://brotherhoodofthemachine.bandcamp.com/album/trip-hazard 

:-)

-------------

Date Posted: December 22 2014 at 06:54

I think of psychedelic rock as more of a "cultural movement" 
Yeah, that seems more like the proper approach to psychedelic rock. 

Date Posted: December 22 2014 at 09:49
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Clap Indeed it is. I always thought the Fillmore East concert was his best moment not only because of his playing but also due to his very tight band. Buddy Miles really made a lot of difference, the songs became more powerful and punchy with his drumming.
Sorry, I excluded the superior Live at the Fillmore with Band of Gypsys (a Freudian slip as the group recordedStar was actually the Band Of Gypsys). It is indeed a killer performance, so...
Jimi Hendrix Live at the Fillmore East album cover
Hendrix: Live At The Fillmore. StarStarStarStarStar

Date Posted: December 22 2014 at 09:58
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

Just blind bought Musik, Die Schwer Zu Twerk off your rec, Steve, and it's awesome. Thumbs Up

Sounds like a mix of psychedelic and proggy takes on not just rock, but also glitch and neo-Hi-NRG. Very unique and enjoyable.
Glad you enjoyed the Electric Wurms, Lear.

-------------

Date Posted: December 22 2014 at 10:17
Psychedelic Rock: Definition.
Just a snippet from Wikipedia describing some of Psychedelic Rock's numerous traits including sound styles and characteristics. (You can view the whole enchilada at Wiki) 

Psychedelic rock is a style of  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music" rel="nofollow - rock music  that is inspired or influenced by  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelia" rel="nofollow - psychedelic  culture and attempts to replicate and enhance the mind-altering experiences of  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_drug" rel="nofollow - psychedelic drugs . It often uses new recording techniques and effects and draws on non-Western sources such as the  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raga" rel="nofollow - ragas  and drones of  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_India" rel="nofollow - Indian music .

It was pioneered by musicians including  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles" rel="nofollow - the Beatles ,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Byrds" rel="nofollow - the Byrds , and  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Yardbirds" rel="nofollow - the Yardbirds , emerging as a genre during the mid-1960s among  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_rock" rel="nofollow - folk rock  and  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues_rock" rel="nofollow - blues rock  bands in the United Kingdom and United States, such as  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead" rel="nofollow - Grateful Dead ,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Airplane" rel="nofollow - Jefferson Airplane ,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jimi_Hendrix_Experience" rel="nofollow - the Jimi Hendrix Experience ,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_%28band%29" rel="nofollow - Cream ,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doors" rel="nofollow - the Doors  and  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Floyd" rel="nofollow - Pink Floyd . It reached a peak in between 1967 and 1969 with the  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_of_Love" rel="nofollow - Summer of Love  and  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock_Festival" rel="nofollow - Woodstock Rock Festival , respectively, becoming an international musical movement and associated with a widespread  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterculture_of_the_1960s" rel="nofollow - counterculture , before beginning a decline as changing attitudes, the loss of some key individuals and a back-to-basics movement, led surviving performers to move into new musical areas.

Psychedelic rock influenced the creation of  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_pop" rel="nofollow - psychedelic pop  and  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_soul" rel="nofollow - psychedelic soul . It also bridged the transition from early  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues" rel="nofollow - blues - and  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_music" rel="nofollow - folk music -based rock to  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock" rel="nofollow - progressive rock ,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glam_rock" rel="nofollow - glam rock ,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_rock" rel="nofollow - hard rock  and as a result influenced the development of subgenres such as  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_music" rel="nofollow - heavy metal . Since the late 1970s it has been revived in various forms of  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-psychedelia" rel="nofollow - neo-psychedelia . 

• Characteristics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sitar_full.jpg" rel="nofollow">
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sitar_full.jpg" rel="nofollow -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitar" rel="nofollow - sitar , much used on early records of the genre.

As a musical style psychedelic rock attempted to replicate the effects of and enhance the mind-altering experiences of hallucinogenic drugs, incorporating new electronic and recording effects, extended solos and improvisation and was particularly influenced by eastern mysticism, reflected in use of exotic instrumentation, particularly from Indian music or the incorporation of elements of eastern music. Major features include:

• electric guitars, often used with  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_feedback" rel="nofollow - feedback ,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wah-wah_%28music%29" rel="nofollow - wah wah  and  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_%28music%29" rel="nofollow - fuzzboxes ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_rock#cite_note-1" rel="nofollow - [1]
  • elaborate studio effects, such as  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backmasking" rel="nofollow - backwards tapes ,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panning_%28audio%29" rel="nofollow - panning ,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaser_%28effect%29" rel="nofollow - phasing , long  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_loop" rel="nofollow - delay loops , and extreme  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverb" rel="nofollow - reverb ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_rock#cite_note-2" rel="nofollow - [2]
  • non-Western instruments, specifically those originally used in  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_classical_music" rel="nofollow - Indian classical music  such as the  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitar" rel="nofollow - sitar  and  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabla" rel="nofollow - tabla  ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_rock#cite_note-3" rel="nofollow - [3]
  • a strong keyboard presence, especially  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_%28music%29" rel="nofollow - organs ,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpsichord" rel="nofollow - harpsichords , or the  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellotron" rel="nofollow - Mellotron  (an early tape-driven ' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampler_%28musical_instrument%29" rel="nofollow - sampler '); http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_rock#cite_note-4" rel="nofollow - [4]
  • extended instrumental  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solo_%28music%29" rel="nofollow - solos  or  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jam_session" rel="nofollow - jams ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_rock#cite_note-Hicks2000-5" rel="nofollow - [5]
  • complex song structures,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_signature" rel="nofollow - key  and  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signature" rel="nofollow - time signature  changes,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_mode" rel="nofollow - modal  melodies and  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drone_%28music%29" rel="nofollow - drones ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_rock#cite_note-Hicks2000-5" rel="nofollow - [5]
  • electronic instruments such as  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesizers" rel="nofollow - synthesizers  and the  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin" rel="nofollow - theremin ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_rock#cite_note-6" rel="nofollow - [6] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_rock#cite_note-7" rel="nofollow - [7]
  • lyrics that made direct or indirect reference to drugs, as in  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Airplane" rel="nofollow - Jefferson Airplane 's " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rabbit_%28song%29" rel="nofollow - White Rabbit " or  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimi_Hendrix" rel="nofollow - Jimi Hendrix 's " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Haze" rel="nofollow - Purple Haze "; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_rock#cite_note-Browne.26Browne2001p8-8" rel="nofollow - [8]
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrealism" rel="nofollow - surreal , whimsical, esoterically or literary-inspired, lyrics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_rock#cite_note-9" rel="nofollow - [9] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_rock#cite_note-AllmusicPsych-10" rel="nofollow - [10]

I would say that the genre is a bit more than just a cultural phenomenon as it was also deeply sociological at times, with particular artists that I will explore in future posts.

Date Posted: December 22 2014 at 13:53

Doors: Feast of Friends

https://d33goyr6pqlwpd.cloudfront.net/sites/thedoors/files/product_images/Feast%20Of%20Friends%20Cover%20Art%20NOT%20FINAL.jpeg" rel="nofollow -

The Doors released a never seen documentary on themselves last week that was not made available to the public until now. The DVD and Blu-ray releases feature some cool extras described below.

Feast Of Friends, filmed in 1968, was the first and only film produced about The Doors by The Doors. It offers a cinematic look at The Doors on the road during their summer 68 tour. While never truly completed, the film provides a stylistic approach in true sixties cinémavérité style. Concert performances are intercut with fly-on-the-wall footage of the group in their natural habitat, sometimes playful, sensitive, chaotic and touching. Other than a few appearances in film festivals in 1968, an official release would never be seen until now. Completely restored from the original negative, as supervised by Jim Morrison, the film has been color corrected and cleaned in high definition with the soundtrack totally remixed and remastered by long-time Doors collaborator Bruce Botnick.

Bonus Features
1) Feast Of Friends: Encore A newly produced feature using footage shot for Feast Of Friends, Encore is a complimentary piece which provides a deeper look into the life of the band at this period as they tour, record, travel and even vacation together. The program avoids the typical selection of hits and makes use of The Doors rare recordings to accompany this unreleased footage.
2) The Doors Are Open A British TV documentary originally aired on December 17th, 1968, The Doors Are Open is focused around the band s performance at London s Roundhouse, which took place just days after the completion of filming for Feast Of Friends. Although previously released, the film has suffered from numerous sound and picture quality issues. Now the image quality has been dramatically improved and the sound has been transformed by Bruce Botnick to be as true to the original live sound as possible.
3) The End Filmed in Toronto, Canada in August 1967 and first broadcast in October that year, this performance of 'The End' was for The O'Keefe Centre Presents: The Rock Scene Like It Is. In addition to the performance it includes the introduction by Noel Harrison and later interviews by John Densmore, Robby Krieger, Ray Manzarek and Danny Sugerman. Many fans consider this recording to be one of the best Doors performances ever caught on film.

Date Posted: December 22 2014 at 14:00
^ Wow.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: December 22 2014 at 14:01
^I know what I want for Christmas! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: December 22 2014 at 14:11
Happy Holidays Everyone! Beer
After the holidays we'll take a closer look at the Elevators' remastered 2nd and 3rd albums, a closer look at Country Joe and the Fish's psychedelic trips, Roky Erickson's 'best of' album The Evil One (also remastered), Brain Wilson's beautifully completed Brian Wilson Presents Smile, as well neo-psych from  The Teardrop Explodes and current standard bearers Tame Impala.

-------------

Date Posted: December 22 2014 at 15:28

First brought to my attention on The Krautrock Space, this is a wonderful piece of psychkraut, driven almost solely by keys. On top of that the guitarist and singers shine at times to great effect. Album opener "The Summit" is essential classic psych.

Date Posted: December 23 2014 at 03:12
Here's some Australian psychedelic hard rock somewhere between Blue Cheer and Black Sabbath. Also kinda reminds me of Flower Travellin' Band.

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2014 at 13:59
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

First brought to my attention on The Krautrock Space, this is a wonderful piece of psychkraut, driven almost solely by keys. On top of that the guitarist and singers shine at times to great effect. Album opener "The Summit" is essential classic psych.

I really dig this one too. It's commonly named together with the rest of the 'faux Krautrock' releases such as 

Golem - Orion Awakes

Mittelwinternacht

Pyramid
The Nazgul

Galactic Explorers

I say faux Krautrock, because all of these were recorded in the 90s but with the intent of posing as long lost gems from the 70s. Many people fell for it - and still do to this day.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: December 23 2014 at 14:59
^Neo Krautrock?

Naaah.

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2014 at 15:29

I really dig this one too. It's commonly named together with the rest of the 'faux Krautrock' releases.

I say faux Krautrock, because all of these were recorded in the 90s but with the intent of posing as long lost gems from the 70s. Many people fell for it - and still do to this day.

Interesting. I do know that back in the late '60's, there were cash-in attempts by some record companies who would get itinerant and session musicians to lay down some psych, so as to ply it to eager hippies. A really good one to come from that:

They say that "Hell Preachers Inc." was an actual German band recording in disguise; they needed the money. They then went on to record some psychkraut in the early '70's.

EDIT: Something even more tantalising about Supreme Psychedelic Underground: a few like to say that Blackmore, Lord, and Paice all contributed too. Imagine that! This album is a gold mine of good music and good legends.

Now, Discogs likes to say that Cozmic recorded their album over the course of '72 and '73, like PA says, but it is entirely possible that it is this fauxkraut as you say.

Date Posted: December 24 2014 at 17:11

Heaven's End, by the band Loop. This is psych and garage done in the time and style of the first alternative rock, much like Spacemen 3's spectacular work. The album is garage rock riffs backed by a beautiful, ever soloing psych guitar, and the singer sings in the usual alt vein. It works out rather delightfully. Reissues also include a mean cover they did of "Rocket USA".

Date Posted: December 26 2014 at 08:35
The Soft Machine
Turns On: An Early Collection

In case SM fans forgot  how psychedelically imbued their their early  material was, and that they shared residency at at London's underground UFO club in the sixties with Pink Floyd, among others, their early live recordings of Turn On Vol1 and 2 have been combined on this new compilation of both albums. Just be aware that the original Turns On Vol. 2 contained some dodgy sounding live recordings. Aside from that, tune in, turn on, and get jazzed out.

Date Posted: December 26 2014 at 08:59
Robin Trower
Bridge Of Sighs

Robin Trower's 1974 recording high point is still as fresh sounding today, forty years after it's initial release, due two several key factors. The first being that that Trower was unapologetic for his his influence and emulation of Jimi Hendrix, and the fact that while Hendrix questioned his own ability to play electric blues and his actual right to. Trower had no such hangups and was a proud Blues guitarist first and foremost. Another key to this album's success was that Trower, bassist and vocalist James Dewar and drummer Reg Isidore fully embraced the R&B of Band Of Gypsys, which was another musical avenue Hendrix felt conflicted about. The result was Trower's second album Bridge Of Sighs which saw Trower and company at the height of their writing and playing ability. This album incorporated dynamic R&B based numbers like Day Of The Eagle with the spacey majestic bluesy title track Bridge of Sighs.

The fact that former Beatles engineer Geoff Emerick (Sgt. Pepper's, Abbey Road) recorded the album greatly helps as this is some of his finest post Beatles' work alongside McCartney's Band On the Run.

If you haven't listened to Bridge of Sighs in a long while or are new to this album, do yourself a favor and give it a spin. And thank Mr. Hendrix for his inspiration.

Date Posted: December 27 2014 at 11:16
Roky Erickson
https://light-in-the-attic.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/release_image/10477/image/Roky_EvilOne.jpg" rel="nofollow">Thumb_325_roky_evilone
The Evil One  (Light I The Attic remastered edtion.)

Musical archivists Light In The Attic have released Roky Erickson's seminal comeback album  The Evil One, first released in the U.K. in 1980 with 5 different but excellent songs from the U.S. version released a year later. As Roky had written some 400 songs during his 'hiatus' from Rock in the early seventies, it's easy to see why a firm set list for both issues was problematic until now. KITA have issued all 15 songs that include those omitted on the U.S. release and includes Roky's horror themed I walked With A Zombie, Night of The Vampire, the essential Two Headed Dog and the near explicit Bloody Hammer that was kept off the U.K. release. Light in the Attic has done a great job cleaning up and remastering the sound from the original master tapes.
Dont Slander Me
Don't Slander Me
Rokys excellent follow up to The Evil One, Don't Slander Me shows Roky has moved on from the horror themes and back to good old hard rock with some of his best solo vocal work. this album features the seminal Roky song Starry Eyes. Another great remaster from Light In The Attic.

Date Posted: December 27 2014 at 15:42
What are the differences between The Evil One and the Roky Erickson and the Aliens S/T. Seems like they have the same cover art and many of the same tracklistings. I'm guessing the S/T is the European release of the same recording and The Evil One the US release?

-------------

Date Posted: December 27 2014 at 16:35

The band's masterpiece. This is a mainly calm, beautiful, serene album eventually drenched in lofty orchestrations, but then ends up harsh, dour, and depressed. It's meant to represent a whole LSD trip, finishing in a paranoiac comedown and near OD. This record is as such a heck of a trip. Just perfect, the height of '80's neo-psych alternative alongside Ocean Rain. The symphonic side to the band's sound foreshadows J Spaceman's work with Spiritualized.

Date Posted: December 27 2014 at 18:05
Always liked these guys and this early track was killer in those days.....

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: December 28 2014 at 09:22

What are the differences between The Evil One and the Roky Erickson and the Aliens S/T. Seems like they have the same cover art and many of the same tracklistings. I'm guessing the S/T is the European release of the same recording and The Evil One the US release?
Yes, a little confusing. The Evil One was released in the U.K. in 1980 as The Five Signs with 5 alternate tracks and Roky And the Aliens was released in other parts of Europe with those track listings. Light In The Attic's remaster contains all of the different track combinations that total 15 tracks in all. All of the songs are excellent, btw.

-------------

Date Posted: December 28 2014 at 13:09
Listening to that album I can't help but get the feel Roky decided to embrace that it was the punk/garagerock crowd most of his fanbase came from, it's some pretty damn raw and abrasive stuff compared to his tenure with the Elevators with a lot of the songs being surprisingly aggressive even next to You're Gonna Miss Me.

-------------

Date Posted: December 28 2014 at 13:14
^I have to agree. I think that Roky was looking for an audience similar to Ozzy's or BOC with The Evil One, but I still get a kick out of the album. Even if it's a long way from Prog or 80's Metal.

Date Posted: December 28 2014 at 13:27
Country Joe and the Fish
ELECTRIC MUSIC FOR THE MIND & BODY BY COUNTRY JOE & THE FI (CD)
Electric Music for the Mind and Body 1967.

One of the few bands that I'm surprised is not listed under Proto prog as Country Joe and the Fish sounded like a cross between the Doors and H.P. Lovecraft. More progressive than the former but less so than the latter. 1967's Electric Music For the Mind and Body sports some cool Farfisa driven rock with excellent electric blues supplied by two underrated guitarists, Barry Melton and David Cohen, who occasionally trade stellar leads. The album is known for it's explicit drug references and topical subject matter which may obscure some of the more adventurous tunes like  Purpose Mouth, Section 43, The Masked Marauder and the 7 minute long avant garde closer Grace.

Excellently remastered by Ace/vanguard with both mono and stereo versions available on a double CD reissue.

Date Posted: December 28 2014 at 13:36
Nik Turner
Nik Turner Space Gypsy album cover
Space Gypsy

One album that is definitely listed under PA's Psych/Space prog site is the excellent 2013 album Space Gypsy by famed Hawkwind Co-founder Nik Turner.  In case you missed it, the album is a blast and there's a great review of it on PA.

Date Posted: December 28 2014 at 13:41
^I listened to that a couple of times at my friend's place. While I found the music interesting I still found it hard to enjoy on account of the production. I tend to have problems with modern records, supposedly psych, that sound like they've been recorded in a labOuch
Nahh give me Xitintoday insteadBig smile

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: December 28 2014 at 13:48
^I can't lie David, the production is a bit home made, but Nik does some great turns on sax and flute and I dig the music as a whole. (I might be showing my age here!)

-------------

Date Posted: December 28 2014 at 13:54
We might be hearing things differently then Steve. I thought it sounded way too...erm studio-like. I missed dynamics in the overall sound and everything kinda sounded like it was recorded,or indeed played, at the same level. I tend to prefer the home made production over a professional studio job any daySmile
Then again, it really depends on the band. Steve Wilson can pull off the modern production thang with everything in it's right place and no superfluous "noise" etc etc....but the psych and krautrock fan in me WANTS and NEEDS the noise. Hell, it's half the music if you ask me!

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: December 28 2014 at 13:54
A bit too obvious a choice, but it's something I've been listening to non stop since Christmas Eve (please help me).

I actually have two copies of the album, the 1999 edition and the 40th anniversary remix. I'm not too fond with the remix, however. There are some parts that I like - the whistling at the end of "Love Street", the clearer guitar on "We Could Be So Good Together", the quiet parts of "The Unknown Soldier" being a bit more louder, a little extra organ at the beginning of "Summer's Almost Gone" and so forth - but they do it by drowning out some other parts I do like. Oh well.

Whining aside, this is a fantastic album. I like the schizophrenic vibe I get from it; one minute you have the guys skipping along the street all happy like ("Love Street"), the next they're conjuring a deranged proto-Alice Cooper sound ("Five To One").

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Date Posted: December 28 2014 at 14:00

We might be hearing things differently then Steve. I thought it sounded way too...erm studio-like. I missed dynamics in the overall sound and everything kinda sounded like it was recorded,or indeed played, at the same level. I tend to prefer the home made production over a professional studio job any daySmile
Then again, it really depends on the band. Steve Wilson can pull off the modern production thang with everything in it's right place and no superfluous "noise" etc etc....but the psych and krautrock fan in me WANTS and NEEDS the noise. Hell, it's half the music if you ask me!
Bad choice of words from me, David. To me, home made=digital sounding. Sorry about that.

-------------

Date Posted: December 28 2014 at 14:03
Ahh, no worriesWink

Also fits the description of the kind of production I generally don't enjoy ie the digital one - that is if it's not an electronic releaseClown

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: December 28 2014 at 14:04
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

A bit too obvious a choice, but it's something I've been listening to non stop since Christmas Eve (please help me).

I actually have two copies of the album, the 1999 edition and the 40th anniversary remix. I'm not too fond with the remix, however. There are some parts that I like - the whistling at the end of "Love Street", the clearer guitar on "We Could Be So Good Together", the quiet parts of "The Unknown Soldier" being a bit more louder, a little extra organ at the beginning of "Summer's Almost Gone" and so forth - but they do it by drowning out some other parts I do like. Oh well.

Whining aside, this is a fantastic album. I like the schizophrenic vibe I get from it; one minute you have the guys skipping along the street all happy like ("Love Street"), the next they're conjuring a deranged proto-Alice Cooper sound ("Five To One").
You're not alone KCIY, I'm not fond of the remix either and neither are many of my friends. I only listened to it once and it seemed to lack warmth. And you came to the wrong person for help. Just play it louder! Evil Smile LOL

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk