Print Page | Close Window

Momentary Lapse and Division Bell: Pink Floyd

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100684
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 05:57
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Momentary Lapse and Division Bell: Pink Floyd
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: Momentary Lapse and Division Bell: Pink Floyd
Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 18:44
We all know the history of these two albums. Do they stand on their own without Roger Waters, yes or no?

Replies:
Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 18:49
All I will say is that the live version of "Sorrow" off of Delicate Sound of Thunder is one of Floyd's best tracks. That alone makes Momentary Lapse worth it by virtue of having the studio version of the track.

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 18:53
I love The Division Bell! I haven't listened to Momentary Lapse in a long time so I won't state an opinion, but I've thought about spinning it recently. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 19:01
AMLOR: I do not care too much for Side A, although it's not without a few fine moments. Side B is outstanding.
The Bell: a little bit of TL;DL. Some of the lyrics is cringeworthy.  

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 19:11
Don't like them.....but I do like Endless River. 

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 19:14
^Endless River! Bah Humbug!

Just kidding. Merry X-mass FF.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 19:27
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

All I will say is that the live version of "Sorrow" off of Delicate Sound of Thunder is one of Floyd's best tracks. That alone makes Momentary Lapse worth it by virtue of having the studio version of the track.
Hearing "Sorrow" in concert on the Division Bell tour was the undeniable highlight of that show.  It's not a particularly fantastic song, but Gilmour gets the most out of his guitar tone on that track, and it really roars when it's cranked up in a stadium.

I was a fan of Momentary Lapse, but nowadays I just think it's a decent album.  Same with Division Bell I guess.  It's not REALLY Pink Floyd to me.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 19:31
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Endless River! Bah Humbug!

Just kidding. Merry X-mass FF.

Thanks Steve.  Smile

All 3 pale in comparison to Final Cut, the true last Floyd albumBig smile

-------------

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 19:32
Could not think of the Floyd repertoire without these two great albums. The Division Bell the better of the two. Oh ...and Amused To Death by RWWink

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 19:36
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

It's not REALLY Pink Floyd to me.

Clap  my biggest issues with  those. Perhaps unfairly judged as such, not strictly on their merits, but hey.. it comes  with the territory of being a band OF that stature.  There is something to the notion of tarnishing a reputation.

Led Zep knew it and quit and kept theirs intact, The Who didn't (of ALL bands that should have known that personal chemistry and the combination of those talents was KEY to their sound, output, and earlier succcess) until they tried to keep on and saw they were not the same band and shelved it for many years.

Floyd surely saw it, but IMO obviously were more impressed with money rolling in, all the MTV fans getting into them not knowing the name and mystique yet perhaps not knowing they were being served a steaming pile of sh*t  and thus cashing in on that reputation rather than preserving it.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 20:44
Division Bell over Momentary Lapse......
Pulse over Delicate Sound......
The thing I really loved with Bell is that there were a lot more subtle elements of 'old' Floyd within the then modern context. Similarly how Endless River incorporates lots of nods to their past. I feel AMLOR was updated for the 80's, and more like a Gilmour solo work. To me, both Levin and Pratt filled the bass role admirably, so I don't miss Waters much. That's not saying I don't admire Waters, I do, but things are the way they are, and I appreciate both sides of the coin.

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 21:08
Really used to like MLOR but it has not held up over the years. Never liked Division Bell. When it came out I was going to rush right out and get it just because it was Floyd. A friend had it already and played it for me. Sleepy

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 23:53
I do like them. The Division Bell much more than AMLOR, though. For me, DB is as good, if different, as most of the albums on their "prime"... I might actually rate it as my 3rd favourite Floyd album, just under Wish You Were Here and Animals (yes, even over Dark Side). AMLOR has some songs I really love too, though, as "On the Turning Away" and "Yet Another Movie", both of which, hoever, I like much more on their Delicate Sound of Thunder versions.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 09:37
They sort of stand on their own as some sort of middle aged, washed up rock performed pleasantly enough.  Next to the massive legacy of Waters-Floyd, it's very incongruous.  The only bitterness in DB seems to be directed at Waters, which is sort of interesting in its own way but not very ambitious or inspired.  

I think part of the problem is Floyd were already rather 'mature' and stately even in their prime, so slowing down and mellowing down even more didn't help their sound.   Against that, if you compare Snakes & Arrows with prime Rush, at least prime Rush could be said to have overdosed on adrenaline and the former album offered a different dimension of the band that rounded their career nicely.  Floyd didn't really have that space to fill up.  Had they gone all Motorhead on us (not likely, but just hypothesising), possibly that wouldn't have gone down well either.  They had to come up with another big bang concept album to follow DSOTM through Wall and they didn't really have it in them.

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 11:26
My interest in PF ends with Animals. There was a time that The Wall had some love, but that faded. And to be honest, the only one I listen to anymore with any consistency is Meddle. No the last 2 just annoyed me.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 12:36
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

You said it! Easily my favorite song off the album (which I admit I played frequently when it was new), followed by "One Slip."

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: December 18 2014 at 06:02
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

It's not REALLY Pink Floyd to me.

It's Gilmour's Floyd basically, with some Wright's magic touch. Music (for the sake of it) will never be the same to everybody, just for the record.

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: December 18 2014 at 06:35
I think these Gilmour-era PF albums stand quite on their own, but they are not on the bottom of my ranking list.
I don't considerThe Endless River a Gilmour-era PF-album, but I would rank it on par with A Momentary Lapse of Reason (11, 12 or 13).

-------------

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: December 18 2014 at 07:27

AMLOR: Think it was an OK effort, even though i dont listen to it anymore

The Bell: Never got me

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: December 18 2014 at 07:33
Yes, they hold their own, and I find them actually better than anything they put out between 1967 and 1970, and between 1977 and 1984. 

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: December 18 2014 at 08:04
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

all the MTV fans getting into them not knowing the name and mystique yet perhaps not knowing they were being served a steaming pile of sh*t 

This just had to be quoted, Micky certainly not sitting on the fence there LOL.

I don't totally agree but cannot fault the description which is wonderfully graphic!

Posted By: Walton Street
Date Posted: December 18 2014 at 08:55
Momentary Lapse is technically proficient but soulless.
Cant listen to it.

Division Bell - they got their mojo back. Solid album.

-------------
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: December 18 2014 at 12:22
Both excellent Floyd records.

-------------

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: December 18 2014 at 14:07
The Division Bell moreso than A Momentary Lapse for me.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Skullhead
Date Posted: December 18 2014 at 15:35
I also feel that Floyd ended with Animals... it did for me.
The Wall was more of a theater production and movie, but too slickly produced.

While some would argue that DSOTM is slickly produced, the drums actually have feel and movement as they did on Animals and WYWH. 

I think once the slick editing took over, a lot of the feel has been taken out of records. 

Seeing PF in a club must have been a really great experience.  I'm not into the Stadium Rock venues.  You can't see much except on a big video screen.  At that point you might as well just stay home and watch the DVD unless you are more there for the crowds like a sporting event.

The sound is always poor at the stadium venues.  It just can't be good in a huge open air venue. 

I know it's cool to say you were there and have a T shirt to prove it. 

I saw Floyd both on ML and DB tours and it was memorable, but not for the music.

My feeling is bands are best when they are still hungry.  Once they get rich things change because they all have big houses, trophy wives etc to maintain.  The music at that point has to pander to pleasing a more conservative audience. 

Floyd to me is a band that is rare in that they didn't do that right after DSOTM.  The two following albums were wonderful artistic works.  But I agree with Rick's statement that they were best when working together as a band.

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: December 18 2014 at 22:01
Originally posted by Skullhead Skullhead wrote:

I also feel that Floyd ended with Animals... it did for me.
The Wall was more of a theater production and movie, but too slickly produced.

While some would argue that DSOTM is slickly produced, the drums actually have feel and movement as they did on Animals and WYWH. 

I think once the slick editing took over, a lot of the feel has been taken out of records. 

Seeing PF in a club must have been a really great experience.  I'm not into the Stadium Rock venues.  You can't see much except on a big video screen.  At that point you might as well just stay home and watch the DVD unless you are more there for the crowds like a sporting event.

The sound is always poor at the stadium venues.  It just can't be good in a huge open air venue. 

I know it's cool to say you were there and have a T shirt to prove it. 

I saw Floyd both on ML and DB tours and it was memorable, but not for the music.

My feeling is bands are best when they are still hungry.  Once they get rich things change because they all have big houses, trophy wives etc to maintain.  The music at that point has to pander to pleasing a more conservative audience. 

Floyd to me is a band that is rare in that they didn't do that right after DSOTM.  The two following albums were wonderful artistic works.  But I agree with Rick's statement that they were best when working together as a band.

You know a flip side of that is when a band can't quite draw the big crowds anymore. When Traffic reformed in 90s they were supposed to play a big outside venue in Chicago but couldn't sell enough tickets. They moved the show to a small indoor venue and I caught it. There was maybe 200 people there and the band took advantage of the situation to just enjoy themselves. The intimacy really made a difference. Winwood's guitar solo on Mr. Fantasy was especially amazing. I had also seen them open for The Grateful Dead that same summer and the difference was night and day.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Posted By: King Only
Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 11:48
The Division Bell: I really enjoy TDB and I consider it a 'true' Floyd album.

A Momentary Lapse Of Reason: I really love Gilmour's guitar work on AMLOR but the songwriting seems uninspired on many of the tracks. And I cannot hear any drumming that sounds like Mason, does anyone know which tracks he actually played on? The session drummers (and drum machines) they used don't really add any character to the songs, I really wish Mason had made the effort to play drums himself on all of the tracks. Likewise with Richard Wright, I can't really hear any keyboard parts that sound distinctively like him on AMLOR, unfortunately...

Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 22:19
Perhaps you would like some of the AMLOR songs better on Delicate Sound of Thunder. I believe on that album Nick and Rick should be more comfortable back in the band and doing their thing once again. My favourite songs on the album, "On the Turning Away" and "Yet Another Movie" sound much better on Delicate sound, for my taste.

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 23:30
The final cut was the last great album they produced.

Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 23:36
Stunning song from The Final Cut, Pink Floyd The Final Cut HD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvARL0Hzcoo" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvARL0Hzcoo

Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 23:47
Thanks for that Kati  A nice nightcap for me!...and I agree about Final Cut.    Smile

-------------

Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 23:53
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Thanks for that Kati  A nice nightcap for me!...and I agree about Final Cut.    Smile

Awww Finnforest, .... "far from flying high in a clear blue sky"..... awwww you are so awesome, thank you!  Big hug to you, Hug thank you!

Posted By: aliano
Date Posted: December 20 2014 at 01:15
The ending guitar solo of Sorrow is so underrated!It's on par with Comfortably Numb in my opinion.

Date Posted: December 20 2014 at 01:22
Originally posted by aliano aliano wrote:

The ending guitar solo of Sorrow is so underrated!It's on par with Comfortably Numb in my opinion.
oh wow yes Aliano, that beginning of Sorrow alone,....... brrrooommmneninenum .... wheeeewheeewhiiheeewhuummmm that guitar drone kills me, wow! ClapThumbs UpApproveand we then get the middle 80's beat annoying bit sounds again Big smilehugs Hugand at 4.02 Gilmour kills it again with his guitar solo Clap

Date Posted: December 20 2014 at 01:32
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

oh wow yes Aliano, that beginning of Sorrow alone,....... brrrooommmneninenum .... wheeeewheeewhiiheeewhuummmm that guitar drone kills me, wow! ClapThumbs UpApproveand we then get the middle 80's beat annoying bit sounds again Big smilehugs Hugand at 4.02 Gilmour kills it again with his guitar solo Clap

Aliano, Comfortably numb is better tho' listen to this version, David Bowie (Richard Wright too) singing with Gilmour but OMG that guitar solo at 2.16 awww awwww more awww's ClapHeart and again at 4.39 best part  ApproveHug
listen to 6.26 to 6.32 again that high tune built up of overflowing layers never ending and 7.39 yet again another high tune.

Posted By: aliano
Date Posted: December 20 2014 at 02:12

Aliano, Comfortably numb is better tho' listen to this version, David Bowie (Richard Wright too) singing with Gilmour but OMG that guitar solo at 2.16 awww awwww more awww's ClapHeart and again at 4.39 best part  ApproveHug
listen to 6.26 to 6.32 again that high tune built up of overflowing layers never ending and 7.39 yet again another high tune.

Wow Remember That Night!
I've always believed it's the best CN solo Gilmour has ever done.Even better than the Pulse version!Watch how the crowd lose it in the video!LOL

Emotionally Sorrow gets me like CN.Especially the Strat Anniversary
version:www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZEMiZmivjM  Heart
But overall CN has the best guitar solo of all time!

Date Posted: December 20 2014 at 02:26

Wow Remember That Night!
I've always believed it's the best CN solo Gilmour has ever done.Even better than the Pulse version!Watch how the crowd lose it in the video!LOL

Smile mhwoaaahhxxxxxx HeartHug

Date Posted: December 20 2014 at 02:30

Wow Remember That Night!

Aliano, this is for you SmileDAVID GILMOUR - ECHOES ACOUSTIC VERSION   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPXWKO-EBgc&list=RDhUYzQaCCt2o&index=19" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPXWKO-EBgc&list=RDhUYzQaCCt2o&index=19  hug Hug

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: December 20 2014 at 05:10

TFC is my least favourite PF album: too much Waters, no Wright and Gilmour sounds like a guest guitarist. That's from someone who can't stand any Waters' solo stuff though Tongue

Date Posted: December 20 2014 at 06:10
^ I'd argue that the increasingly bitter "social commentary" by Mr. Waters had already begun to visibly encroach on the PF music as early as in the Animals. 

By the way, I couldn't agree more with your description of TFC. But one must accept that there are people who like it, perhaps for the same reasons that you and I dislike it. Humans are fascinating creatures :)

Date Posted: December 20 2014 at 06:35
The Final Cut is an amazing production. Waters dominated or not, Gilmour puts in some great guitars, Mason does a decent job, and I really can't see what room there could've been for Rick's keyboards, as the keys are not much of a feature of the music.
Wright came 'back to life' on The Division Bell', and, as Dillinger stated, The Endless River is a perfect homage to the Great Man.

Date Posted: December 20 2014 at 06:53
^^ But Animals has some of the best Gilmour's guitar work powerful drums and incredibly spacey keyboards Cool
With all that going on I don't even notice the lyrics LOL

Don't get me wrong, I understand and respect those who like it. By the way, what do you think of Waters' solo albums?

Date Posted: December 20 2014 at 07:07
^ Absolutely! The Animals is the most delightful 4.5-star album. I didn't say that it was deficient in any way; but you could feel that the philosophical and emotional center of gravity had already begun to shift towards Waters, which brought Pink Floyd on the path to TFC and the eventual breakdown. 

Regarding Waters's solo work: a good band is always greater than the arithmetic sum of its members. As a member of Pink Floyd, Waters was an incredible creative force. On his own? for fans only, I'm afraid, with a couple of good moments here and there.  

Date Posted: December 20 2014 at 07:11
The Body was experimental, but holds a great song in Chain Of Life.
Pros And Cons is excellent.
Don't like K.A.O.S. much, 2 or 3 good songs at best - Me Or Him, Home, Four Minutes....
Amused To Death was his pinnacle. Great album.
Afterwards, I haven't followed up.........
Still, when I watch Live At Pompeii, I know why I chose the bass as my instrument of choice - Waters is righteous on this film............that funky jam in the 2nd half of Echoes part 1 - and Gilmour just blows on his strat........

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: December 20 2014 at 08:34
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Don't sweat it, Tom, neither has Roger!

(well, if you don't count his opera)

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 00:06

Wow Remember That Night!

version:<cite ="_rm"="">www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZEMiZmivjM</cite>  Heart

Aliano, this is for you SmileDAVID GILMOUR - ECHOES ACOUSTIC VERSION   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPXWKO-EBgc&list=RDhUYzQaCCt2o&index=19" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPXWKO-EBgc&list=RDhUYzQaCCt2o&index=19  hug Hug

Actually, I was never particularly thrilled by Sorrow's guitar solo... perhaps I'd need to listen to it again. I certainly like Comfortably Numb's guitar solo better (perhaps the one song in which I like the guitar solo better is High Hopes). As for my favourite version of CN, I must go with the one on Delicate Sound of Thunder... but then that version has that heavier beginning which sounds just great for me. About the version on Remember that Night... I think it was just OK on my book... but the version on Live in Gdansk is indeed wonderful for me (with Wright on vocals too), with a string orchestra if I remember well, and longer than the version on Remember that Night (also, if I remember well).

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 00:12
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

TFC is my least favourite PF album: too much Waters, no Wright and Gilmour sounds like a guest guitarist. That's from someone who can't stand any Waters' solo stuff though Tongue

I think you got Kati's words wrong... for her it's the last album Pink Floyd did that she found to be great, not the one that she likes the least. As for me, the last (not least) Pink Floyd great album was The Division Bell... well, at least up until this year, now it's The Endless River . However, for me The Final Cut is a good album, but not among my favourites from them... I guess it would be at about the same position as Momentary Lapse. There are some great moments on FC, and very emotional ones. And once again, I think it's an album that's best apreciated if heard as a whole, instead of in parts.

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 00:14
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Don't sweat it, Tom, neither has Roger!

(well, if you don't count his opera)

Well, perhaps Roger hasn't released any albums since, but he has written a few ones that he has played live, even one released on his best of album. However, the one that I really love, and which is a real gem in my book, is "Each Small Candle", which he released on his "In the Flesh" live album.

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 04:51
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Perhaps you would like some of the AMLOR songs better on Delicate Sound of Thunder. I believe on that album Nick and Rick should be more comfortable back in the band and doing their thing once again. My favourite songs on the album, "On the Turning Away" and "Yet Another Movie" sound much better on Delicate sound, for my taste.

Okay, I will have to give Delicate Sound Of Thunder a listen. Strange that I consider myself a huge Floyd fan but I have never bought DSOT. It's now on my shopping list.

Posted By: Guillermo
Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 04:59
Yes. Both albums have good songs. Maybe "The Division Bell" is better as they re-captured some of the old Pink Floyd sound they had before Waters almost dominated everything (music and lyrics), which was with "Animals" and more particularly with "The Wall", an album which I don`t like with the exception of the songs which were co-written by Gilmour. For me, Gilmour-Mason-Wright sounded more as Pink Floyd than Waters alone. 

-------------
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.

Posted By: Guillermo
Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 05:07
"The Final Cut" also has some good songs, but it was more a solo album by Waters released under the PF name. "AMLOR" was more like a first step done by Gilmour without Waters, but the live versions of the songs from that album are better with Mason and Wright playing them.

-------------
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 05:30
Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

Yes. Both albums have good songs. Maybe "The Division Bell" is better as they re-captured some of the old Pink Floyd sound they had before Waters almost dominated everything (music and lyrics), which was with "Animals" and more particularly with "The Wall", an album which I don`t like with the exception of the songs which were co-written by Gilmour. For me, Gilmour-Mason-Wright sounded more as Pink Floyd than Waters alone. 

Good to know I am not alone Clap

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 06:47
Prefer The Final Cut to both of them, so I guess not. I ought to revisit them though, there were some great moments on those 2 albums, but mostly mediocre.

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 07:30
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Regarding Waters's solo work: a good band is always greater than the arithmetic sum of its members. As a member of Pink Floyd, Waters was an incredible creative force. On his own? for fans only, I'm afraid, with a couple of good moments here and there.
For Waters fans only is probably more adequate Tongue

Still, when I watch Live At Pompeii, I know why I chose the bass as my instrument of choice - Waters is righteous on this film............that funky jam in the 2nd half of Echoes part 1 - and Gilmour just blows on his strat........
And I know why I chose the guitar as my instrument of choice Smile

I think you got Kati's words wrong... for her it's the last album Pink Floyd did that she found to be great, not the one that she likes the least. As for me, the last (not least) Pink Floyd great album was The Division Bell... well, at least up until this year, now it's The Endless River . However, for me The Final Cut is a good album, but not among my favourites from them... I guess it would be at about the same position as Momentary Lapse. There are some great moments on FC, and very emotional ones. And once again, I think it's an album that's best apreciated if heard as a whole, instead of in parts.
I understood perfectly, I was just stating my opinion about it. I never connected emotionally with FC and I don't know if I will, on the other hand TDB for me is very emotive probably because I connect with Gilmour's and Wright's playing much more than lyrics Ermm

Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

Couldn't agree more Thumbs Up

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 07:38
I like them ok I guess. I don't really listen to them all that much (small understatement), although I did spin AMLOR here the other day and felt it was a 'nice listen'. 
None of em stick it's hand down my trousers though.
The Final Cut? YikesSick I'd rather stick my penis in a light socket.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 07:49
OuchLOL

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 08:02
Don't worry Sam. I'm gonna skip that last part and simply just stay away from the album instead. Seems like the adult thing to doApprove That way I also keep my nether regions fit for making babies and weeing whilst standing up.

The Final Cut suffers from the same problem as any other Roger Waters album: waaaaaaaay too much Waters and not enough music. Apart from Amused to Death, which I like, he's always about an inch away from a sung (well sung is perhaps the wrong verb. Shouted?) rap album. Hell, just take a look at the lyric sheets to those albums. They read like the freakin bible! If I want an album with words, I'll put on Waits' NighthawksBig smile

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 08:59
That's probably better LOL

True, there are also those things called books Tongue

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 09:05
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Final Cut? YikesSick I'd rather stick my penis in a light socket. 

Are you threatening light sockets with violence?

Thank you for helping me make a connection between rap and Waters. I kind of always knew that rap is not really music; it's a different form of art - rhythm-assisted story-telling, I guess? 

I am one of those people who believe that lyrics in general are (statistically) more likely to distract from the music than to contribute to it. 

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 09:16
LOLLOLLOL

Always!!!!

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 10:29
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Thank you for helping me make a connection between rap and Waters. 

You wanted Roger Waters rap, you got it!

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 11:53
^ Rojja Pepa is grand Thumbs Up

Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 23:20
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I understood perfectly, I was just stating my opinion about it. I never connected emotionally with FC and I don't know if I will, on the other hand TDB for me is very emotive probably because I connect with Gilmour's and Wright's playing much more than lyrics Ermm

Oh well, sorry, it just seemed to me by the way you wrote your post that you were agreein with her, but at the same time were saying the exact opossit than what I undertood she meant... my bad. However, I do agree with you... well, I do like The Final Cut somewhat, and I feel it does have some rather emotional moments, but in the end it isn't among my favourite Floyd albums. However, I do love TDB, one of my favourites from them, easily.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 23:29
The Final Cut......what are people missing? The most polished narrative of 'work' with exceptional guitar work from Gilmour.

I guess I am in the minority!

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 23:26
AMLOR and DB are both quite good. I played AMLOR to death when it was released. I enjoyed the easing up of the subject matter after Animals, The Wall and The Final Cut, even though I'm a big fan of all of them. I liked the TDB, but there are too many songs with the same pacing. I put it away for years and took it out again recently, and enjoyed it more now then when it was released. I still think it would be a better album if they pruned a couple of songs or added one that rocked a bit.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk