Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100688
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 10:00
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: A A Rush song vs A Henry Cow song
Posted By: Flight123
Subject: A A Rush song vs A Henry Cow song
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 05:04
With the festive period underway, and the nostalgia that comes with it, I would like to replay an argument I had with my friends back in the late 70s.  I always lost because there were always more Rush fans around, smug in the 'superiority' of their band. 
Anyway, with the hindsight of mature musical educations, I am wondering what the result would be now?  Some interesting side shows going on: Dagmar vs Geddy Lee, Fred Frith vs Alex Lifeson, Chris Cutler vs Neil Peart, the lyrics of Tim Hodgkinson vs Neil Peart, etc etc. 

Replies:
Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 05:12
Goats are friends of cows as well.

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: twseel
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 05:29
Originally posted by Imperial Zeppelin Imperial Zeppelin wrote:

same here

-------------

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 07:11
Again two of those very hard to compare pieces of art.
Anyway the vote goes to Cow 

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 07:13
The overture of 2112 rules, but overall I have to go with the Cow track.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 07:57

-------------

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 08:19
Aw, man.  Ouch  2112 is like the first prog album I ever bought.  The nostalgia value alone is incalculable.

Still, I once thought Living in the Heart of the Beast was the best song I've ever heard.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 08:30
We have assumed control

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 09:11
You kiddin'. Cow!

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 10:57
Moo.

Posted By: Friday13th
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 11:42
2112 schools that commy Censored

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 12:23

The heart of the beast

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 14:05
the best Rush song ever made: 2112. in other words, definite vote goes to that one.

-------------
Progrockdude

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 14:36
Originally posted by Friday13th Friday13th wrote:

2112 schools that commy Censored

Not heard that one before!

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 15:21
Surprised how close this is. I only like the beginning of 2112 whereas I enjoy all of Beast (even the commie lyrics).

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 15:23
Beast cow.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 16:39
woC ynreH

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: December 18 2014 at 03:06
Originally posted by Imperial Zeppelin Imperial Zeppelin wrote:

So are beavers on some occasions.

-------------

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: December 18 2014 at 11:09
Shortly: Rush 2112.

-------------

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 05:36

Rush, 2112.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 05:38
I dislike 2112 only because it's not 21 minutes and 12 seconds long. What a waste.

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 05:38

-------------
This night wounds time.

Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 08:15
Well, the pattern is starting to be depressingly similar.  Ultimately these head to heads are down to who has the more fans... Of course I would say that the Henry Cow song is superior in every way to the Rush offering (which was rammed down my throat when it was first released)  However, I kidded my gullible Rush friends into believing the middle instrumental section (guitar/bass/drums) sandwiched by Hodgkinson's doom laden solo organ was, in fact, a rare Rush track.  They believed it!!

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 08:29
Henry Cow

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 10:21
Can't fathom this match-up as I feel 2112 is probably the most overrated Rush piece out there and that Henry Cow blows in general. Wouldn't want to wrap my mind around which is better.

Posted By: 2dogs
Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 00:51
The Cow is not far behind. Heart

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: December 21 2014 at 14:29
Henry Cow. Rush knocked out a few good epic tracks, but 2112 has not aged well.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: 2dogs
Date Posted: December 24 2014 at 09:34
20 All - fantastic considering Rush are one of those 4 or 5 bands whose fans think should have been in the Big 5. Clown

Posted By: qwiksand
Date Posted: December 24 2014 at 10:46
Henry Cow, hands down.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: August 19 2016 at 10:54
Originally posted by qwiksand qwiksand wrote:

Henry Cow, hooves down.

fixed

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: August 19 2016 at 12:04
HC

Posted By: HosiannaMantra
Date Posted: August 19 2016 at 12:20
Henry Cow; 2112 just proved that Alex Lifeson is horrible at attempting to play prolonged epic guitar parts.

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: August 19 2016 at 16:01

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: August 19 2016 at 18:30
I can't vote yet but:
LITHOTB > 2112
Henry Cow >> Rush
Dagmar Krause >>> Geddy Lee
Fred Frith >>> Alex Lifeson
Chris Cutler > Neal Peart (this one's actually pretty close)
Tim Hodgkinson lyrics >>>>>>> Neal Peart lyrics (and I'm a libertarian, so this isn't political bias talking)

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: August 20 2016 at 05:34
thank god the OP didn't choose the Necromancer... that would have been a hard choice. Well.. it wouldn't have.

That was the only Rush offering I'd have chosen over that masterpiece from H.C.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: August 20 2016 at 05:37
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

I can't vote yet but:
LITHOTB > 2112
Henry Cow >> Rush
Tim Hodgkinson lyrics >>>>>>> Neal Peart lyrics (and I'm a libertarian, so this isn't political bias talking)

that gets you some McClappies... ClapClap

but no... not close in this unverise or any alternative universe where you actually use ones ears to judge creativity and ability.

Chris Cutler was 100 times the drummer Peart was. He just locked up the 'Rush RAWKS' kiddie vote.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: August 20 2016 at 08:58
2112. Yes, I'm a libertarian, but that has nothing to do with my voting. I'm not the biggest Rush fan, but this song is great and I don't like HC that much.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Date Posted: August 20 2016 at 11:46
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I can't vote yet but:
LITHOTB > 2112
Henry Cow >> Rush

but no... not close in this unverise or any alternative universe where you actually use ones ears to judge creativity and ability.

Chris Cutler was 100 times the drummer Peart was. He just locked up the 'Rush RAWKS' kiddie vote.

Perhaps you could express your admiration for Cow without dumping on Rush.
I'm a little surprised to see quite a bit of Rush derision on this site. 

Date Posted: August 20 2016 at 12:01
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I can't vote yet but:
LITHOTB > 2112
Henry Cow >> Rush

Rush is a fine group but their claims to making genuinely progressive music are vastly overstated (IMO of course). I've heard 4 Henry Cow albums and 5 Rush albums, and I'd rather listen to any album from HC over any from Rush.

As for Cutler and Peart, if we're talking creativity and advancement of percussion (and music in general) as an art form, Cutler surpasses Peart by a thousand leagues. Still, Peart's a pretty good drummer, especially for a more conventional group.  

If anything, I regret not putting Frith way, way farther ahead of Lifeson. Just compare the opening of The Decay of Cities to the acoustic section of 2112. That's not even citing Guitar Solos, which would just be unfair.

Date Posted: August 20 2016 at 14:17

I can't vote yet but:
LITHOTB > 2112
Henry Cow >> Rush

dumping on Rush?...

oh trust me... you haven't seen anything to that effect.  I can if you wish..

Rush fans Unhappy No wonder you all have such bad names.. can't take the slightest bit of criticism of your heroes. Critism in that people don't think they were god's gift to music. No Peart was not the greatest drummer ever.. there were better..  same with Lifeson.. same with Geddy..

good group.. a few great songs..a couple good albums..  passionate loyal fanbase... let's leave it at that aye.Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: August 21 2016 at 06:39

I can't vote yet but:
LITHOTB > 2112
Henry Cow >> Rush

Rush is a fine group but their claims to making genuinely progressive music are vastly overstated (IMO of course). I've heard 4 Henry Cow albums and 5 Rush albums, and I'd rather listen to any album from HC over any from Rush.

As for Cutler and Peart, if we're talking creativity and advancement of percussion (and music in general) as an art form, Cutler surpasses Peart by a thousand leagues. Still, Peart's a pretty good drummer, especially for a more conventional group.  

If anything, I regret not putting Frith way, way farther ahead of Lifeson. Just compare the opening of The Decay of Cities to the acoustic section of 2112. That's not even citing Guitar Solos, which would just be unfair.

Has anyone in Rush ever made any claims to "making genuinely progressive music"? If they have, I must have missed it. What does "making genuinely progressive music" even mean anyway? Is it some kind of elitist attitude? Does it mean that if I consider Rush to be progressive (at some points in their career) that I somehow don't understand what "true" prog is? How can I learn from all you masters who somehow know what prog is and what prog is not?

Date Posted: August 21 2016 at 06:43

I can't vote yet but:
LITHOTB > 2112
Henry Cow >> Rush

dumping on Rush?...

oh trust me... you haven't seen anything to that effect.  I can if you wish..

Rush fans Unhappy No wonder you all have such bad names.. can't take the slightest bit of criticism of your heroes. Critism in that people don't think they were god's gift to music. No Peart was not the greatest drummer ever.. there were better..  same with Lifeson.. same with Geddy..

good group.. a few great songs..a couple good albums..  passionate loyal fanbase... let's leave it at that aye.Thumbs Up

Leave it at that? Just before typing that sentence, you typed another dig at Rush fans. Not too hypocritical there. LOL

I, for one, have never claimed that Rush is gods gift to music. I am glad that they are finally getting their due though. Took way too long for it to happen.

Date Posted: August 21 2016 at 06:49
Wink  We love Rush around here... it is just they have a giant 'kick me' sign plastered on their asses.

Picking on them.. and their fans is merely signs of affection. Warped affection perhaps.. but this is Prog Archives.  Where we love warping the notion of being warped.

-------------

Date Posted: August 21 2016 at 07:18

Has anyone in Rush ever made any claims to "making genuinely progressive music"? If they have, I must have missed it. What does "making genuinely progressive music" even mean anyway? Is it some kind of elitist attitude? Does it mean that if I consider Rush to be progressive (at some points in their career) that I somehow don't understand what "true" prog is? How can I learn from all you masters who somehow know what prog is and what prog is not?

By progressive, I really just meant innovative and creative. Whether or not a group is "prog" versus "not prog" matters far less than whether it's worthwhile to listen to. I never established that anyone must share my opinions on anything. I like Rush (to a limited degree). You like Rush more, I assume. There is nothing wrong with that. The assertion of an opinion contrary to yours does not signify a claim to intellectual superiority.

Date Posted: August 21 2016 at 07:49

Wink  We love Rush around here... it is just they have a giant 'kick me' sign plastered on their asses.

Picking on them.. and their fans is merely signs of affection. Warped affection perhaps.. but this is Prog Archives.  Where we love warping the notion of being warped.

Ah, okay. I'll take this at face value.  I'm still essentially a noob here.

Date Posted: August 21 2016 at 07:50

By progressive, I really just meant innovative and creative. Whether or not a group is "prog" versus "not prog" matters far less than whether it's worthwhile to listen to. I never established that anyone must share my opinions on anything. I like Rush (to a limited degree). You like Rush more, I assume. There is nothing wrong with that. The assertion of an opinion contrary to yours does not signify a claim to intellectual superiority.

Fair enough.
I'm not knocking on Henry Cow at all. In fact, what I've heard about them intrigues me. I plan on diving in to their catalog very soon. 

Date Posted: August 21 2016 at 07:51
I just found a kick me sign on my back. Okay, which one of you wiseasses did that?  Wink

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 21 2016 at 09:14
One of the few polls I'd pick Rush for anything. I find Henry Cow unlistenable.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: August 21 2016 at 09:28
When I set up this poll - ages ago - I felt aggrieved that Rush were generally more celebrated than the Cow.  I had to endure smug Rush fans since being a teenager.  Endless arguments on the back seat of the bus about how weird Henry Cow were compared to the 'exciting' Rush.  The Cow disbanded in 78 around the time when their peers were simplifying the music often with dire results.  The Cow refused to compromise.  On the other hand, I felt that Rush expertly moved into the vacuum left by prog as the originators moved into stadium rock/sophisticated pop.  I actually own two of their albums 'Signals' and 'Grace Under Pressure' and saw them once on the 'Power Windows' tour, but I found that experience dire.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk