Print Page | Close Window

Stomu Yamashta’s GO

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Suggest New Bands and Artists
Forum Description: Suggest, create polls, and classify new bands you would like included on Prog Archives
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10076
Printed Date: May 17 2024 at 06:31
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Stomu Yamashta’s GO
Posted By: Guests
Subject: Stomu Yamashta’s GO
Date Posted: August 13 2005 at 19:10

Surely Go should be included, it has some of the best musicians from the 70's in there. Winwood, Schulze, Shreeve, DiMeola, absolutely stonking artists and 3 brilliant albums. They must be included

Replies:
Date Posted: August 18 2005 at 19:34
Obviously not................ah well, if they were American, Canadian and rank rotten then they would be added....better still have no progressive tendencies and they will be added.

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: August 19 2005 at 01:06
Go is a good album,I don't know if enough for the title of progressive rock forum...And Go Live From Paris is also good,maybe better than Go.But Go Too is a complete disaster...

-------------

Date Posted: August 20 2005 at 18:58
Can't argue m8......but i've seen some rather strange so called prog bands added.

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: August 24 2005 at 12:49
I've contemplated inclusion of Stomu Yamashta's name to be added, since the run of his albums (alas very few on CD) issued by Island Records in the 70's most certainly meet the definition of progessive music, from Red Buddah Theatre to Freedom Is Frightening (for instance the latter is an interesting hydrid of jazz fusions  - i.e. jazz rock mixed with Japano-jazz). LPs which included future members of Brand X, but also found Hugh Hopper (post Machine and Isotope) and Gary Boye (post Isotope). So having just reminded myself of Go - I recently got hold of the so called limited edition Complete Go Session released by an Aussie label through Amazon.UK,  for about 12 quid (P&P)  - I agree with it's record label calling Go's music 'prog rock', for sure you have a mix of space rock, electronica, rock, jazz rock.

Date Posted: August 24 2005 at 19:17
Jon and f**kin Vangelis get added, but Go still wait paitiently to be added....are you guys in the real world.

Posted By: greenback
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 03:42

Originally posted by tangerine62 tangerine62 wrote:

Jon and f**kin Vangelis get added, but Go still wait paitiently to be added....are you guys in the real world.

hey,hey,hey: take it easy on vangelis!

-------------
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 09:00
I do agree that Stomu does deserve inclusion. But his discography is a little confusing because not one album is under the same name/appelation, if memory serves me well!

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Borealis
Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 07:10
Originally posted by greenback greenback wrote:

Originally posted by tangerine62 tangerine62 wrote:

hey,hey,hey: take it easy on vangelis!

I'd says f***kin Jon and Vangelis, but well...

-------------
Vive le Québec libre!...

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 07:22
I'd say just Jon and Vangelis...

And the comparison with Stomu is useless...

-------------

Posted By: S Lang
Date Posted: September 07 2005 at 05:32

It's fair to admit that Yamashta produced very different works over his active period. Some of which are definitely Prog, others are - well, different. Still on this site some bands with the odd Prog-ish tune seem to receive undue attention (and support) at the expense of others that would qualify more readily. It's becoming of a sore point to me.LOL

Short of having a credible suggestion for a name change for ProgArchives, I am kind of expecting that one day I'll see Genesis (with Gabriel) listed as Prog, whereas with Collins it may appear in the NeoProg?

From memory, Yamashta's "Freedom is frightening" is an album that I wouldn't trade for all of Vangelis's works, whereas Go had a lesser impact on me, although it did have some very good parts, too. I suspect that some personality issues, coupled with ego and self-importance may be responsible for non-support of some genuine articles here.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: September 07 2005 at 05:51
I suspect you are wrong!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: September 07 2005 at 08:05

Well Snow Dog, I do hope that you are right in your comment, that is I am wrong. I'd be very happy to be wrong in this matter.... , but I am yet to find a convincing argument for that.

Frankly, my involvement with the site goes back a few months only, but in recent times I've been observing a degree of degeneration here - and some appauling attitudes on display. I love Prog and until I am muzzled, or perhaps totally put off, I'll stand up for the MUSIC first.

By the way Snow Dog. I am yet to hear a word from you on the subject - that is Yamashta - as opposed to responding to a person/contributor. Anything to offer?Tongue

Date Posted: September 07 2005 at 08:18

I've never heard is music although I am aware of him and always suspected him to be a prog like artist. He's a percussionist isn't he? Anyway I have no objections to him being put here, and I feel that he will be in time.

There are many bands also not here yet, but as I said, it takes time. This site is no ones full time job after all.

Until very recently, you could have added him tyo the site yourself, but this option has been suspended and is, I believe , under review.

Meanwhile discussion is the best option!

-------------

Date Posted: September 07 2005 at 09:41

That's right, Yamashta is a percussionist and his releases vary in style, but rather centered on Prog in general. Don't get me wrong, I am not a mad devotee of his music, I just feel that much of his music represents a valid inclusion here. My recent post "Yamashta again" was more of a querry for information as well as for raising awareness. I am still surprised as why that Topic is shifted into Non-Prog? (Isn't the Forum meant to afford discussion and exchange of information?) Also, the "Hot Topic", or the like symbol preceding the shifted post? I haven't a clue as what that means. Reds under the bed, or what? Non Comprendo....

I say it again, I am still learning the ropes of this site and perhaps I post the odd message in the wrong post? I have no intention in contributing to Non-Prog, hence my frustration. Maybe I should have consulted with Maani, but I saw no need for bothering him for something that seems so obvious to me, hence I had another go recently.

Dick Heath, however had no difficulty with offering valuable info and as such he dampened my frustration a bit. I'd stop well short of recommending all of Yamashta's albums, Go is a reasonable project, although somewhat light for my taste, whereas the one I wanted to know more about "Freedom is frightening" is where I'd start. Sadly, few remember that out of print piece. "Red Buddha" is interesting too, but perhaps would receive the sticker "Hot Topic"?Wink

Suspending the inclusions is somewhat of a controversial issue, but I definitely feel that the site could do with a bit of a facelift as it is now, so the temporary removal of liberty may offer some breathing space - I hope.

Date Posted: September 08 2005 at 06:11

I'll say it again. The thread was moved because Yamashta is not in the Archives. The Prog Lounge is for discussion of music that is included in the Archives.

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2005 at 07:15
OK, I get it now. Thanks!

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 19:49
I'm not asking for all Yamashta stuff to be added....just Go...which is far more prog than pop synth duo squeaky Anderson and Greek keyboard mesmeriser Vangelis.

Posted By: greenback
Date Posted: September 14 2005 at 22:47

Originally posted by Guests Guests wrote:

I'm not asking for all Yamashta stuff to be added....just Go...which is far more prog than pop synth duo squeaky Anderson and Greek keyboard mesmeriser Vangelis.

i always found yamashta to be the Pat Moraz of Asia!LOL

greenback

-------------
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>

Posted By: Retrovertigo
Date Posted: September 14 2005 at 22:50
Stomu Yamash'ta's Go first off, is Jazz, secondly, is not Jazz-Rock/Fusion, but rather World Fusion.

Date Posted: September 15 2005 at 13:05

Originally posted by Retrovertigo Retrovertigo wrote:

Stomu Yamash'ta's Go first off, is Jazz, secondly, is not Jazz-Rock/Fusion, but rather World Fusion.

Not how the Complete Go Sessions double CD set is  being packaged and publicised by Raven Records at the moment: jazz fusion, electronica,  rock, R'n'B and space rock. And I think they are right.

Retrovertigo I seriously believe your description is well off target.

Date Posted: September 15 2005 at 13:12
Hey, I got an idea. Now that he's banned, lets add Go quick!

-------------

Posted By: Retrovertigo
Date Posted: September 15 2005 at 14:42
I'm still going to call it a World Fusion release, I didn't say it wasn't prog.

Date Posted: September 21 2005 at 10:58

How can you add one album from Yamashta's discography without the rest - and these albums always were Stomu Yamashta's projects, pulling in others who ended up with equal billing?

World fusion.....? Still thinking about that. Go : no, Red Buddah Theatre: yes, Freedom Is Frightening: probably not. BTW how do you rate the great Japanese jazz guitarist, Kazumi Watanbe, as world fusion or jazz rock fusion? Shakti is world jazz fusion, Jonas Hellborg's Icon is world jazz fusion, but Go brings little of traditional Japanese music to make it "World" music

Date Posted: September 21 2005 at 19:56
[QUOTE=Dick Heath]

World fusion.....? Still thinking about that. Go : no, Red Buddah Theatre: yes, Freedom Is Frightening: probably not. BTW how do you rate the great Japanese jazz guitarist, Kazumi Watanbe, as world fusion or jazz rock fusion? Shakti is world jazz fusion, Jonas Hellborg's Icon is world jazz fusion, but Go brings little of traditional Japanese music to make it "World" music

Agreed. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk