Posted By: micky
Subject: Lima Regional Final: Genesis v. Jethro Toe
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 06:57
For a spot in the Final Four!!!!

Who is it to be?

Genesis

or..

Jethro Toe

Vegas has made Genesis a 20.5 vote favorite. Can Jethro Toe make a match out of it?  Perhaps but not likely.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Replies:
Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 07:05
Genesis, against JT it's a easy vote for me.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 07:06
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Genesis, against JT it's a easy vote for me.

This.

-------------

Posted By: Atkingani
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 07:07
A tough one. Genesis by a nose hair.

-------------
Guigo

~~~~~~

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 07:07
damn for me.. it boils down to

Tulls early phase against Genesis' 'late' phase LOLLOL

again..  sitting squarely on the fence.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 07:12
Genesis by quite a vast margin. I do love the early Tull years though.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 07:19
First vote for Toe. LOL

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 07:55
Tull easily for me, Genesis have about 4 albums I enjoy, Tull have about 8. My favorite Tull albums far excede my favorite Genesis.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 08:18
Let me do the same here.  Each has 2 albums I love and a couple I really enjoy. So it is a 4 album duel on main street at 9:11 am haha

Favorite: Benefit > Duke
2nd favorite: Stand Up > Genesis s/t
3rd favorite:  Selling England > Aqualung
4th favorite:  Abacab > This Was

sh*t...  oh well...  guess I am not voting hahah

-------------

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 08:26
Joing the Mick Man again in his procedure:

Selling England > Stand Up (but both in my personal top 10)
ATTWT > This Was
Duke > Benefit
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway > Songs From The Wood

4-0 for Genesis

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 08:59
Love Tull's prog phase even if I wouldn't give any of them the five stars.  And as a live unit, I think they beat Genesis...just that they are more straight up rocking.  Hmm, going to wait over this one for a bit.  Most likely will vote for Genesis eventually but this is less clear cut than the other polls.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 09:03
It's funny how Micky tries to convince people this is about the Pop Genesis, when as a fact it's about Prog Genesis

A perfect streak like Trespass>>>>Nursery Cryme>>>>>Foxtrot>>>>>SEBTP>>>>>>The Lamb...Is simply unbeatable.

-------------

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 09:05
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

It's funny how Micky tries to convince people this is about the Pop Genesis, when as a fact it's about Prog Genesis

A perfect streak like Trespass>>>>Nursery Cryme>>>>>Foxtrot>>>>>SEBTP>>>>>>The Lamb...Is simply unbeatable.

hah.  Nothing to do with convincing anyone of anything.

It is just hard to vote for two bands that had very... uninspriring prog years. LOL

One was far better as a pop group.. the other as a folksie blues band.

Now you've done it...I'm voting for f**king Tull even though I didn't want to as I'm still pissed at them and their fans LOL  take that hah!!

-------------

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 09:12
I rarely listen to either these days but I enjoy '80s Genesis over post'70s Tull so there ya go.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: chrijom
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 09:14
I don't like Tull but this Jethro Toe sounds promising! 😄

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 09:21
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

ThisWink

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 09:29
Genesis quite easily.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 09:51
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

I rarely listen to either these days but I enjoy '80s Genesis over post'70s Tull so there ya go.

yeah.. that is how I was going to end up voting before Ivan posted LOL

-------------

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 09:55
Genesis...

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 10:04
Tull simply has more albums I prefer to listen to. Their releases from 1969 to 1979 eclipse Genesis, and actually some of their 80s work is better than poop-Genesis of the same era. Tull has a much wider range of styles, is heavier rocking and Ian Anderson kicks Peter Gabriel's ass playing flute.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 10:13
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Come on the Genesis fan-boys aren't half as annoying as the Tull fan-boys. Wink

And I think everyone knows who I am voting for.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 10:29
Genesis.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 10:46
Genesis have done more great albums than Tull, who are still a very fine band.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 11:49
Genesis.  Although, not by much.  I like a bt of Toe too!

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 12:05
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Genesis.  Although, not by much.  I like a bt of Toe too!

LOLThumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 12:09
Love both and as the result is obvious I won't vote here.

-------------

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 12:10
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

agreed. One comes to understand the bobbleheads. Genesis is sleepy time prog but damnit they were good AT it. Far too good actually LOL 

One can never understand how one can vote for Toe over FPM.  The group that highhandedly gave rise to the term.. mediocre prog. Prog for progs sake. Prog but saying  and doing NOTHING!!!

Get out and listen to music damnit.  FPM dwarfed Tull in each and every category anyone can name OTHER than..ahem.. being an ENGLISH band.  pffff... bahhh..  Trust me. There will be a rematch of that. hah LOL

however.. Ivan is a case onto himself. I love him, but like any brother we have... well... you want to bust him aside the jaw.  Hense my momentary loss of control and the vote for f**king Tull LOL

-------------

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 12:14

agreed. One comes to understand the bobbleheads. Genesis is sleepy time prog but damnit they were good AT it. Far too good actually LOL 

One can never understand how one can vote for Toe over FPM.  The group that highhandedly gave rise to the term.. mediocre prog. Prog for progs sake. Prog but saying  and doing NOTHING!!!

Get out and listen to music damnit.  FPM dwarfed Tull in each and every category anyone can name OTHER than..ahem.. being an ENGLISH band.  pffff... bahhh..  Trust me. There will be a rematch of that. hah LOL

however.. Ivan is a case onto himself. I love him, but like any brother we have... well... you want to bust him aside the jaw.  Hense my momentary loss of control and the vote for f**king Tull LOL

Micky Who exactly are  'FPM'?Wink

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 12:16
bah....

-------------

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 12:19
The bakery of premier Marconis? Tongue

And I've finally an excuse to vote for the almighty flute.

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 12:21
bah....

-------------

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 12:29
Jethro Toe. They have a far better masterpiece and a more enjoyable output in general.

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 13:04
Originally posted by Imperial Zeppelin Imperial Zeppelin wrote:

Jethro Toe. They have a far better masterpiece and a more enjoyable output in general.

I don't see it. At a certain point all their most grandiose stuff just starts to sound the same.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 13:11
Tough choice...

Both were leaders of prog in the 70's...
Both recorded epic 70's concept albums...(though Tull wins with TAAB, APP, & Chateau vs Lamb)
Both had charismatic front men...
Both embarrassed themselves late in their careers...
Both toured constantly (I saw Genesis '77, '78:  Tull '76, '77, '78, '79, '87, '88)...
Genesis had a mellotron...
Genesis called it a day where Ian Anderson has made a great comeback with TAAB2 and Homo Erraticus...

...but the deciding factor...

Crest of a Knave still pisses off Metallica fans to this very day...Tull for the win Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 13:41
Tull comfortably. Now that we have all the tull remixes, they have too many strong tracks every year for Genesis to compete with them. I doubt several Genesis fans have the all important tull remixed box sets so they are missing out on half their great tracks

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 13:50
Even though Genesis is almost the definition of prog, I have to go with Tull. (or my wife will kill me!)

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 13:54
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Even though Genesis is almost the definition of prog, I have to go with Tull. (or my wife will kill me!)

really... one potential reason I've come up as to why so many like Genesis when the whole adoration BAFFLES the hell out of me is I can Genesis' appeal to those that like them in that they are the anti-thesis to the definition of prog.  These are not virtusos showing what they got and blowing your mind instrumentally.. they are more masters of guile than blunt force trauma or even atmospherics which Tony Banks had no business ever attempting as he was (IMO) very much the weak link musically in that band.. which for a prog band.. is a substantial handicap LOL

-------------

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 13:57

And as I am sure you are aware, Steve, admitting your wife is always right is the principal ingredient for a successful marriage.

P.S. My wife told me to say this.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:00
^To get on a deeper plane, Genesis could be considered the blue print for what people think prog should sound like. That doesn't necessarily mean that the music they make is progressive. 

Let the fireworks begin!

I'm out of here! LOL

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:02

LOL
Went with Genesis.....but both are 2 of my favorites once again.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:11

Just checked with the Mrs and she said my votes fine.  But next time I need to aske her first.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:16
I checked with my wife and she said she hates that noodly crap so I guess no vote for me the rest of the tournament.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:16
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Tull comfortably. Now that we have all the tull remixes, they have too many strong tracks every year for Genesis to compete with them. I doubt several Genesis fans have the all important tull remixed box sets so they are missing out on half their great tracks

Have you ever considered there was a reason a lot of this stuff wasn't released? Wink

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:18

Just checked with the Mrs and she said my votes fine.  But next time I need to aske her first.

yeah that must suck... if only I could Raff to see the 'light' regarding Jethro Dull.. though she was at least smart enough to recognize that PFM was a far superior group and she voted for them. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:23

Have you ever considered there was a reason a lot of this stuff wasn't released? Wink

hmmm...I'll answer that one Alex.

I'll take sh*tty Jethro Tull outtakes for $1000

perhaps it was because they weren't up to the standards of the crap they did release. LOL  hah. It isn't like Tull had albums filled to the brim with classics...  if it didn't make an album...  urrgggg.

Nostaglia... the kryptonite to a prog fans intellect.

-------------

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:36
Tull

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:42

perhaps it was because they weren't up to the standards of the crap they did release. LOL  hah. It isn't like Tull had albums filled to the brim with classics...  if it didn't make an album...  urrgggg.

Micky, forget your almost psychotic love for a second-tier Italian wedding band for a moment. We realize your love in this instance is unnatural and perhaps not even legal in some countries. We still accept you as that sort of weird uncle who we only have to see on certain holidays. Tongue

But I will point you to the fact that the output from Tull during the early 70s was phenomenal, to the point where an album of b-sides, EP releases and songs left off albums actually went to #3 in the U.S.; in fact the album Living in the Past was so good, even the Rolling Stone magazine (who usually abhor Tull and consider the New York Dolls musically important) rated the album 5 stars. To this day, it's still one of my favorite Tull albums.

-------------

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:46

'Italian Wedding Band' LOL LOL

Big smile

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:50

'Italian Wedding Band' LOL LOL

Big smile

yeah.. that was good wasn't it LOLClap

-------------

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:53
Genesis by a very narrow margin. I do prefer Ian Anderson vocally to Gabriel and Collins.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:55
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Micky, forget your almost psychotic love for a second-tier Italian wedding band for a moment. We realize your love in this instance is unnatural and perhaps not even legal in some countries. We still accept you as that sort of weird uncle who we only have to see on certain holidays. Tongue

But I will point you to the fact that the output from Tull during the early 70s was phenomenal, to the point where an album of b-sides, EP releases and songs left off albums actually went to #3 in the U.S.; in fact the album Living in the Past was so good, even the Rolling Stone magazine (who usually abhor Tull and consider the New York Dolls musically important) rated the album 5 stars. To this day, it's still one of my favorite Tull albums.

yeah... and that album was done by the PRE-Prog version of the group which no one is their right mind DOES NOT like LOL  That was a great group with 4 great albums.

the issues isn't whether Tull sucks.. they don't.. or whether their 70's stuff sucks.. it doesn't.. they have a leg up on Genesis in that LOL... the issue really cuts to the heart of what is better... fabulously done folksie-blues rock or average to mediocre prog rock.  For some... including myself.. .Tull died in the heart when they reached for more than they were capable of delivering. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 15:14

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

yeah... and that album was done by the PRE-Prog version of the group which no one is their right mind DOES NOT like LOL  That was a great group with 4 great albums.

the issues isn't whether Tull sucks.. they don't.. or whether their 70's stuff sucks.. it doesn't.. they have a leg up on Genesis in that LOL... the issue really cuts to the heart of what is better... fabulously done folksie-blues rock or average to mediocre prog rock.  For some... including myself.. .Tull died in the heart when they reached for more than they were capable of delivering. 
See, but I believe you are in the wrong there, Mick. Thick as a Brick was a prog masterpiece and both a critical and commercial success, beyond anything that Genesis had ever done, progressively speaking (Genesis didn't have a #1 album in the States till they started making pop tunes with Duke). Tull went afoul of the critics when they had the balls to release a second album with no singles, A Passion Play, but that still went to #1 (and the recent APP remaster is truly great -- should've been a double album back when it was originally released). Afterwards, albums like Minstrel in the Gallery, Songs from the Woods and Heavy Horses are as proggy as any Genesis from the same era and are absolutely great albums.

-------------

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 15:28
oh yeah.  I have no doubt fans of the group love the albums. Arguing tastes is pointless.

Hence the discussion we had previously.  For those NOT fans there really is only one classic album.. Thick as a Brick

Even then for some... like me... it might be a classic. and acknowledge it as such..  but still find it is still boring as hell. LOL  The single taken from it sums the album up well. That is an immediate strike against it in my book.

Try doing that with a Yes album.. that ain't happening. If you can pull a 7 minute bit of it... then what does it say of the rest of it... oh yeah... that it is fluff.. pure and simple.  Listen to a similar attempt to do the same with Close to the Edge... simply unlistenable. That is IMO the difference between well constructed... great Prog rock.. and average to mediocre slapped together prog, with great core (inital idead) and a disposable body ..the fluff.

Which again goes back to what made great Tull great in the first place and what they did so well.. nice simple 4 to 5 minute long songs and without the intellectual bullsh*t.  Very few can do it well,  most fail miserably at it. One reason for the enduring brilliance of Yes is they were one of the few that could do it, yet couched it so abstractly and obtusely you really don't know or care what Jon was singing about.

-------------

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 15:30
Genesis, of course!! so, you're making fun of the latter band's name while they're at their end? well that's just great.

-------------
Progrockdude

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 15:56

Tulls outtakes and b sides are many of their best tracks? 50 of tulls best 100 songs are non album tracks. They weren't on the albums because Ian wanted to produce some commercial radio free songs for each album. That's the only reason I can come up with.

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 16:03
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

same here

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 16:04
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I checked with my wife and she said she hates that noodly crap so I guess no vote for me the rest of the tournament.
i'm hip.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 17:18
I'll take up the pool, wondring again, life is a long and dr bogenbroom over all songs on side 2 of aqualung. Same with good godmother, glory row, saturation, paradise steakhouse, March the mad scientist, rainbow Blues over sealion, bungle, two fingers, third Hoorah or Teacher and witches promise over everything on Benefit. How about the cool extended version of foot of our stairs and the remixes of audition and left right. That's what I call quality

-------------

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 18:21
When my Prog addiction started over 25 years ago, Genesis was essential, but over the years JT's discography grows and grows.
For the good old times, Genesis +1.

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 18:22
Although I love Genesis, Tull is much more my favorite.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 18:47

Tulls outtakes and b sides are many of their best tracks? 50 of tulls best 100 songs are non album tracks. They weren't on the albums because Ian wanted to produce some commercial radio free songs for each album. That's the only reason I can come up with.

You have to objective. Sure I'll collect anything released by my favorite bands, but 'collect' is the operative word. That's what I do with things I am passionate about. I have the Genesis Archives and am glad I do. I also have just about everything to be had that the Beatles did while tape was running. Does that mean they made a mistake not releasing it at the time? No way, they knew it was substandard material and put out the best stuff. The outtakes, remasters, etc. that we see are about one thing only, cashing in on a fan base that has put these artists on a pedestal.

Knowing this will not stop me from buying the ones that come around by favorites though. Embarrassed

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 18:49
Tull

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 04 2015 at 22:32

Well, for me Pink Floyd beats that streak easily, with Dark Side, WYWH, Animals, and yes, I guess I can include Meddle and The Wall too (though I would have to ignore Obscured by Clouds).

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 00:27
JT

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 06:43
Jethro ToeWink

Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 08:28
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Well, for me Pink Floyd beats that streak easily, with Dark Side, WYWH, Animals, and yes, I guess I can include Meddle and The Wall too (though I would have to ignore Obscured by Clouds).

Then it's not a streak.

BTW: I would have to include

a) Trespass
b) Nursery (13)
c) Foxtrot (5)
d) SEBTP (3)
e) The Lamb (44)
f) A Trick of the Tail (49)
g) Wind & Wuthering

- No band has that 7 streak, not a single bad album 
- 2 albums in the top 5 of PA
- 5 in the top 50
- 6 in the top 126
- The 7 in the top 250
- 7 Continuous albums with an average over 4 stars

That hasn't been beaten, despite the haters and the Yes fanboys 

-------------

Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 08:40
Just checked with the Mrs and she give me the green light to purchase the 27 disc Starless box set from KC.

I love it when a plan comes together. Evil SmileLOL

-------------

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 09:16
Genesis +1

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 11:17
I could vote either way honestly

but

Tull

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 11:43
Genesis.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 15:56
For Peter's Genesis,not Philesis. JT is no slacker.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 16:11
Genesis by several country miles

Tull like Floyd had strong blues roots but prog for me was about leaving that American thing behind and embracing European classical music. Genesis , ELP and Yes defined prog not Tull or Floyd in my view. Anderson though in trying to parody these bands ended up making one of the best prog albums ever. Very ironic to say the least. Floyd finally joined the band wagon with the brilliant Wish You Were Here but I don't see them as being the pioneers that Genesis were.

All very much IMO.Wink

Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 16:35
^Two Clappys, Richard. Spot on! ClapClap

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 17:13

Who cares if this is about pop, prog, disco, country, jazz, zydeco, symphonic Genesis......I love early Tull, Aqualung is one of the best albums ever recorded by either.....but the whole Genesis catalog against the whole Tull catalog, it's shameful how bad Genesis mops the floor with Tull.

To me this whole poll thing is about career vs career and catalog vs catalog...not a couple yrs here and there and cherry picking a few albums.

Genesis for me.......next

-------------

Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 17:21
^The funny thing to me about the whole Genesis vs Tull deal is that Tull's TAAB ranks just a hair under Yes' CTTE for the best Prog album ever made, IMHO. If Tull had Rick Wakeman instead of John Evan, the ranking would be reversed.

-------------

Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 17:41

^The funny thing to me about the whole Genesis vs Tull deal is that Tull's TAAB ranks just a hair under Yes' CTTE for the best Prog album ever made, IMHO. If Tull had Rick Wakeman instead of John Evan, the ranking would be reversed.

Since I'm here, SEBTP, CTTE and Thick as a Brick have been all in first place for some time

The three albums are masterpieces and having an average of 0.01 of difference on several thousand reviews is minimal.

-------------

Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 17:45
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Who cares if this is about pop, prog, disco, country, jazz, zydeco, symphonic Genesis......

I care.

Not because of the genre, but because IMHO Genesis did bad boring adult contemporary POP.

Give me Rumors by Fleetwood Mac and I don't give a damn about the genre because it's a PERFECT album, but Invisible Touch is a shame and Illegal Alien is an insult to the name of the band.

Still, what Genesis did between FGTTR (Included) and ATOTT is enough to grant rthem an easy win

-------------

Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 17:58

Who cares if this is about pop, prog, disco, country, jazz, zydeco, symphonic Genesis......

I care.

Not because of the genre, but because IMHO Genesis did bad boring adult contemporary POP.

Give me Rumors by Fleetwood Mac and I don't give a damn about the genre because it's a PERFECT album, but Invisible Touch is a shame and Illegal Alien is an insult to the name of the band.

Still, what Genesis did between FGTTR (Included) and ATOTT is enough to grant rthem an easy win

Its your opinion and I respect that a lot....but I don't think that pop era of Genesis was boring or bad, IMO it is some pretty good music and productions. Illegal Alien is questionable I agree, but most pop is at a minimum.

-------------

Posted By: manofmystery
Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 18:28
Why can't Genesis fan boys behave more like DT fan boys and bugger off?
Sick of this lackluster band dominating this genre.  It's good prog buried under awful singing from a guy in a stupid flower costume.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Stop building it into something it's not.
To be fair Jethro Tull is one of my favorite bands of all time but there's absolutely no doubt they made much more interesting music.

-------------

Time always wins.

Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 18:59
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

Sick of this lackluster band dominating this genre.  It's good prog buried under awful singing from a guy in a stupid flower costume.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Stop building it into something it's not.

Well...For the vast majority of Prog listeners in the planet Genesis is the non plus ultra of Prog

Not because Gabriel or Hackett or Banks, but because the music they did together

To be fair Jethro Tull is one of my favorite bands of all time but there's absolutely no doubt they made much more interesting music.

Interesting for you.....This is a free forum.

I love Tull, but honestly, after a few minutes I get bored of this pastoral sound, no matter how much I love TAAB, I haven't listened the whole album in decades without getting sleepy.

Yesterday I got my copy of Marsbeli Kronikak II...Now that's Prog Folk of the best kind 

-------------

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 19:23

Genesis.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 20:09

I love Tull, but honestly, after a few minutes I get bored of this pastoral sound, no matter how much I love TAAB, I haven't listened the whole album in decades without getting sleepy.

Funny, I've never listened to it without getting sleepy. LOL

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 20:25

Then it's not a streak.

BTW: I would have to include

a) Trespass
b) Nursery (13)
c) Foxtrot (5)
d) SEBTP (3)
e) The Lamb (44)
f) A Trick of the Tail (49)
g) Wind & Wuthering

- No band has that 7 streak, not a single bad album 
- 2 albums <span style="font-size: 12.8000001907349px; line-height: 1.4;">in the top 5 of PA</span>
<span style="font-size: 12.8000001907349px; line-height: 1.4;">- 5 in the top 50</span>
<span style="font-size: 12.8000001907349px; line-height: 1.4;">- 6 in the top 126</span>
<span style="font-size: 12.8000001907349px; line-height: 1.4;">- The 7 in the top 250</span>
<span style="font-size: 12.8000001907349px; line-height: 1.4;">- 7 Continuous albums with an average over 4 stars</span>
<span style="font-size: 12.8000001907349px; line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="font-size: 12.8000001907349px; line-height: 1.4;">That hasn't been beaten, </span><span style="line-height: 14.3360004425049px;">despite</span><span style="font-size: 12.8000001907349px; line-height: 1.4;"> the haters and the Yes fanboys </span>

Oh well, the thing for me, is that none of those albums is really a 5 star masterpiece. All of them have at least one song that I really dislike. The closest album for me would be Selling England by the Pound, and even that one has Battle of Epping Forest. Also Tresspass is really close, but even though that one doesn't have any song that I really dislike, it doesn't have such highlights on it as the next albums would have.

Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 20:27

I care.

Sti<span style="line-height: 1.4; font-size: 13px;">ll, what Genesis did between FGTTR (Included) and ATOTT is enough to grant rthem an easy win</span>

Its your opinion and I respect that a lot....but I don't think that pop era of Genesis was boring or bad, IMO it is some pretty good music and productions. Illegal Alien is questionable I agree, but most pop is at a minimum.

I actually like many songs of pop era Genesis a lot. Perhaps they don't have they same absolute beauty that many of the classic era songs have, but they have some really good songs anyway.

Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 20:35

I am not any band fanboy, and could careless for this music......I only come here to see what pics you put in your signature.
Next......

-------------

Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 20:39

Oh well, the thing for me, is that none of those albums is really a 5 star masterpiece. All of them have at least one song that I really dislike. The closest album for me would be Selling England by the Pound, and even that one has Battle of Epping Forest. Also Tresspass is really close, but even though that one doesn't have any song that I really dislike, it doesn't have such highlights on it as the next albums would have.

Well, it's a matter of opinions.

I don't believe an album has to be perfect to be a masterpiece. It may have 1 or 2 songs that I dislike, but I value many other things

1.- Balance
2.- Transcendence
3.- Lyrics
4.- Performance
5.- Factor X

For me, every Genesis album except SEBTP have a perfect balance. all are transcendental for Prog, all have brilliant lyrics, the performances are impeccable, but overall...The music creates emotions on me.

CTTE is a masterpíece, but doesn't move me in the way Fountain of Salmacis, In the Cage or Can Utilitty move me.

Relayer is a super album, technically impeccable (Moraz is a genius), but leaves me cold in the field of emotion.

Thick as a Brick has a BRILLIANT intro, the lyrics are amazing, but after 10 minutes they start to repeat themselves.

Genesis did well avoiding endless epics, because too much time on your hands lead to repetition, the only real epic (Suppers Ready) is more a collection of different songs united only by a concept and that was brilliant..I love Fountain of Salmacis, and it lasts exactly as much as it should last..The organ intro impresses me because they don't repeat it 10 times in the song.

That's where the greatness of Genesius rests, they did what they needed to do, not more, nobiody tries to be a star, they leave their egos behind and play for the band, to the point that people believed Hackett was just a good guitar player until he left the band and did what he wanted to do.

Genesis was a team, few bands managed this.

-------------

Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 20:42

Funny, I've never listened to it without getting sleepy. LOL

True.

I rather listen the live versions where they play it in 5 or 10 minutes

-------------

Date Posted: January 05 2015 at 20:43
^ Yea pretty much this......sometimes I wonder if IA really thought twice about TAAB. One 20 minute song, ok....but Side 2 also....mehhh

-------------

Posted By: progrockdeepcuts
Date Posted: January 06 2015 at 00:27
Tull are my all-time favorite band, Genesis don't even come close for me. No one does.

To be fair, I had a period where I LOVED Genesis. I must've played those Gabriel albums everyday for about 2 years in high school; they WERE my favorite band for a time. I wore myself out and now they do nothing for me.

When it comes down to it, comparing one bad to another and fighting over which is 'better' is just ridiculous; truly it gets us nowhere. I prefer listening to the tamed noises that one band make over the one that another makes. Perhaps we should all just listen to what we like. Trying to convince others is just a wasted exercise and all it succeeds in is making some people angry and defensive. I REALLY think it's unfair to criticize a group of fans of a particular band or try to rationalize WHY they like what they do. We like what we like.

-------------

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/

Date Posted: January 06 2015 at 02:00

LOL

Date Posted: January 06 2015 at 02:04
Originally posted by progrockdeepcuts progrockdeepcuts wrote:

Tull are my all-time favorite band, Genesis don't even come close for me. No one does.

To be fair, I had a period where I LOVED Genesis. I must've played those Gabriel albums everyday for about 2 years in high school; they WERE my favorite band for a time. I wore myself out and now they do nothing for me.

When it comes down to it, comparing one bad to another and fighting over which is 'better' is just ridiculous; truly it gets us nowhere. I prefer listening to the tamed noises that one band make over the one that another makes. Perhaps we should all just listen to what we like. Trying to convince others is just a wasted exercise and all it succeeds in is making some people angry and defensive. I REALLY think it's unfair to criticize a group of fans of a particular band or try to rationalize WHY they like what they do. We like what we like.

yep of course prog is not a football match but PA makes it look like that at timesSmile

Date Posted: January 06 2015 at 02:57
Side 1 of TAAB is full of great melodies which aren't repeated once on the same side. Side 2 has only 5 minutes of repeated melody

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: January 06 2015 at 06:25
Genesis by a mile.

Tull have had some great moments. There's many a Tull song I like a lot. Thick as a Brick or Songs from the wood may even make it into my top 20 prog albums of all time.

But Genesis just move me more and are far more varied and interesting in their approach to making music. The folk element in Tull is something that carries across from one album to the next, and this makes their formula more restrictive in my opinion. Like blues or rock 'n' roll there's little room for true progression...

Runs for cover!

I do admit that I'm a Genesis fanboy!

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: January 06 2015 at 07:48
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

LOL

LOLLOL

oh that WAS good... I would have given that anti-Genesis rant 3 McClappies... but I'm deducting one for the poor tastes displayed at the end.  This was a true battle of prog limp dicks. Titans in the eyes of their fans, to rest of us... YAWN!!!!!!

so 2 McClappies it is

ClapClap

-------------

Posted By: WrytXander
Date Posted: January 06 2015 at 09:31
Tull is actually my 5th favourite progressive rock band. Too bad Genesis is 3rd LOL

-------------
20+ prog bands discovered and explored in 3 years, still going strong...

Date Posted: January 07 2015 at 00:10

Well, it's a matter of opinions.

I don't believe an album has to be perfect to be a masterpiece. It may have 1 or 2 songs that I dislike, but I value many other things

1.- Balance
2.- Transcendence
3.- Lyrics
4.- Performance
5.- Factor X

For me, every Genesis album except SEBTP have a perfect balance. all are transcendental for Prog, all have brilliant lyrics, the performances are impeccable, but overall...The music creates emotions on me.

CTTE is a masterpíece, but doesn't move me in the way Fountain of Salmacis, In the Cage or Can Utilitty move me.

Relayer is a super album, technically impeccable (Moraz is a genius), but leaves me cold in the field of emotion.

Thick as a Brick has a BRILLIANT intro, the lyrics are amazing, but after 10 minutes they start to repeat themselves.

Genesis did well avoiding endless epics, because too much time on your hands lead to repetition, the only real epic (Suppers Ready) is more a collection of different songs united only by a concept and that was brilliant..I love Fountain of Salmacis, and it lasts exactly as much as it should last..The organ intro impresses me because they don't repeat it 10 times in the song.

That's where the greatness of Genesius rests, they did what they needed to do, not more, nobiody tries to be a star, they leave their egos behind and play for the band, to the point that people believed Hackett was just a good guitar player until he left the band and did what he wanted to do.

Genesis was a team, few bands managed this.

Well yeah, I agree about the opinion that an album doesn't have to be perfect to be a masterpiece. Actually, there are many albums that have one, or perhaps two songs I don't really like so much, but that as a whole I consider masterpieces... but those songs need not to bother me too much at least, nor be too long (such as "Have a Cigar" on Wish you were Here, or "Pigs on the Wing" on Animals... perhaps even "On the Run"... and "Money" on Dark Side of the Moon... or the "solo" songs on Fragile). But unfortunatley those songs I don't like on Genesis are either too long and/or too annoying and end up breaking the flow of otherwise wonderful music. For me a perfect Genesis album would have been "The Knife", "Musical Box", "Supper's Ready", "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight", "Firth of Fifth", "Cinema Show", and perhaps "In the Cage" to throw in something from The Lamb. Also, I might include "One for the Vine", but since that one is after Gabriel left and has a bit of a different feel, I might just not include it along the other ones.

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: January 07 2015 at 04:25
Originally posted by progrockdeepcuts progrockdeepcuts wrote:

Bravo! I am with you all the way.

Just having Jethro Toe written in the the topic line says it all with regards to these "boy band" polls. This is disrespectful to a band and their large following here on PA. Some fan"boys" just can't help poo pooing Tull. Bring it on I say!

I could have told you at the start that the 4 finalists would be Genesis, KC, PF and Yes. How interesting...not......it was the same 4 a few years ago or was it only months ago?  Seems this type of infantile poll has been done to death over the past few years and I don't know why I bother contributing to them. Next time I am conscientiously objecting and not voting!!!!!! Or voting for Horslips as being the greatest Prog Rock group of all time!!!!! Oh they weren't put up........but in my mind they are/were the best.

Let's have a poll to work out who was the first Celtic Prog Rock band.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: January 07 2015 at 04:50
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Bravo! I am with you all the way.

Just having Jethro Toe written in the the topic line says it all with regards to these "boy band" polls. This is disrespectful to a band and their large following here on PA. Some fan"boys" just can't help poo pooing Tull. Bring it on I say!

I could have told you at the start that the 4 finalists would be Genesis, KC, PF and Yes. How interesting...not......it was the same 4 a few years ago or was it only months ago?  Seems this type of infantile poll has been done to death over the past few years and I don't know why I bother contributing to them. Next time I am conscientiously objecting and not voting!!!!!! Or voting for Horslips as being the greatest Prog Rock group of all time!!!!! Oh they weren't put up........but in my mind they are/were the best.

Let's have a poll to work out who was the first Celtic Prog Rock band.

No more disrespectful than dismissing the efforts of all contemporary progressive musicians and calling them amateurish, as some forum members have been doing in the past few days in other threads. These polls are just for fun, as Micky (who happens to be my husband, in case you didn't know) stated very clearly right from the beginning. If you find them infantile (which is probably true of all polls, not just this one), you should probably stay away from them. Last time I looked, it was not mandatory for anyone to vote in polls in order to be a member of PA.

Posted By: Atkingani
Date Posted: January 07 2015 at 05:14
These polls were/are funny because many people not connected recently with PA forums have returned to give their opinions, to tease, to laugh and so on. Good moments I had! Thumbs Up

On the other hand for the future we may consider KC, yes, Genesis and PF as hors concoursGeek

-------------
Guigo

~~~~~~

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: January 07 2015 at 06:33
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

On the other hand for the future we may consider KC, yes, Genesis and PF as hors concoursGeek

Yes, a league of their own.
A League of Crafty Gentlemen or something like that Smile

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk