Forum Description: Introduce yourself and tell us what prog music you listen to
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100909
Printed Date: May 06 2024 at 21:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Hello everybody!
Posted By: porcupinemorning
Subject: Hello everybody!
Date Posted: January 08 2015 at 15:22
Hi! My name is Maciek, and I'm just ordinary teenager (hail '96) from Poland. I play guitar (well at least, try to hahah) and study in high school on math-physics profile, and I love those.
My first contact with prog was probably Opeth's "A fair judgement", and still that song is one of my all time favs. 
The time I've heard It, I wasn't into any specific genre, just listening to all garbage from radio and tv. 
Then I got into some sh*tty rock, metal and eventually ended "in the court of the crimson king" :D  
You can call me "prog greenhorn" cause I'm quite "fresh" in the steven wilson's playground, but I hope that your site will help me expand my music horizons. I don't remember when I've discovered PA, but since it happened It's a first place where I'm looking for new stuff to listen to. I got into very decent, classic stuff from here, and now I'm trying to dig more into "roots". Kill me but since I consider myself as a somekind of "proghead" for like huh 1-2 years I checked "close to the edge" and "thick as a brick" like emm month ago.  Surely I have tons of music to catch.
Well like I've said before, your purple banner on the top isn't new thing for me, but why I'm signing here now? I'd like to sip into the community and know more fantastic stuff, and well maybe try some revieving, but I'm kinda afraid of trying hahah. Nevertheless I'm hoping that my journey with PA will bring nothing but good memories.

My favourite albums (so far):
Steven Wilson - well, all of his solo stuff
Porcupine Tree - Fear of the Blank Planet, Lightbulb Sun
iamthemorning - "~", "belighted"
Opeth - "Ghost Reveries", "Watershed", "Still Life", "Damnation"
Lunatic Soul - Walking on the Flashlight Beam
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon
Yes - Close to the Edge

Replies:
Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: January 08 2015 at 15:47
Originally posted by porcupinemorning porcupinemorning wrote:

My favourite albums (so far):
Steven Wilson - well, all of his solo stuff
Porcupine Tree - Fear of the Blank Planet, Lightbulb Sun
iamthemorning - "~", "belighted"
Opeth - "Ghost Reveries", "Watershed", "Still Life", "Damnation"
Lunatic Soul - Walking on the Flashlight Beam
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon
Yes - Close to the Edge

Welcome, young sir  Big smile. I am wondering to myself about the iamthemorning releases that you listed among your favorite prog albums. If you wouldn't mind sharing, what attracted you specifically to iamthemorning?  

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 08 2015 at 16:09
dobry wieczór Maciek!

Welcome to the forum.

If you are open to having your horizon's broadened.. and outgrowing that Steve Wilson/PT sh*t.. you have come to the right place LOLThumbs Up 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: January 08 2015 at 16:53
Welcome to the forum!

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: infernalfrog
Date Posted: January 08 2015 at 17:43
Hello budy!
Welcome to this amazing forum!
I'm a newbie here too \o
By the way, we were born in the same year =D

If you wasn't introducted to Pain Of Salvation, here's a bit

that scream at 3:37 <3

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 04:26
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Welcome, young sir  Big smile. I am wondering to myself about the iamthemorning releases that you listed among your favorite prog albums. If you wouldn't mind sharing, what attracted you specifically to iamthemorning?  

It was a peacefull summer evening, and somewhere on my fb timeline appeared a opeth cover by an cute redhead girl. That was pretty enough to get my attention so I played it, and was kinda suprised cause the girl has very strange vocal, it was so soft that it hurt haha. Then i saw in description that she has a band and checked their bandcamp. I listened to "the simple story" and then miscellany and just spammed that ep for next few weeks. 
Well, answering your question, iamthemorning simply got me with their beauty. Most of the songs are rather sad but it still makes them more moving I think. The other thing is presence of some classical instruments, there's only little feel of guitar, bass guitar etc. Still music remains magic, Marjana's fairy vocals, Gleb's excellent piano work make one of the most original prog bands this year I think. 

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 04:28
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

If you are open to having your horizon's broadened.. and outgrowing that Steve Wilson/PT sh*t.. you have come to the right place LOLThumbs Up 

Y U DO THIS ;_; well I got that everybody have their points, so I'd like to know yours, I'm just a young man after all.

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 04:44

It was a peacefull summer evening, and somewhere on my fb timeline appeared a opeth cover by an cute redhead girl ... 

Say no more Big smile

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 04:46

Y U DO THIS ;_; well I got that everybody have their points, so I'd like to know yours, I'm just a young man after all. 

A grumpy old man doin' his grumpy old thing Censored. He's also known for throwing CD's he doesn't like out of the car window (whose who drive up and down the I-95 have proof on file).  

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 05:00

Well, answering your question, iamthemorning simply got me with their beauty. Most of the songs are rather sad but it still makes them more moving I think. The other thing is presence of some classical instruments, there's only little feel of guitar, bass guitar etc. Still music remains magic, Marjana's fairy vocals, Gleb's excellent piano work make one of the most original prog bands this year I think. 
Most of your description seem to match Renaissance and I think there's some inspiration in their music. Do you know them?
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=603" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=603

Welcome by the way Smile

What do you think of PT's early albums?

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 05:04
Welcome aboardBeer

Oh , and sorry for pointing this out, but everytime I this thread - my head instantly goes

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 05:24
Meltdowner to be true I haven't given them much attention, as I probably should, but recently I started to diggin on "Up The Downstair", and enjoyed the opening track "synesthesia". It's so well happy hahah :D 
Don't know anything at all about Renaissance hmm. <bufforing>

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 06:51

A grumpy old man doin' his grumpy old thing Censored. He's also known for throwing CD's he doesn't like out of the car window (whose who drive up and down the I-95 have proof on file).  

LOL  I'm not grumpy!  Ouch

Maciek Beer  you'll quickly learn if you stick around here I love to poke and prod, all in fun just to liven things up around here and especially poke holes in the far too serious facade of the music and especially of the fans.

PT/SW earned a permanent place on 'Micky's sh*t' list
a good number of years ago. Not the group per se, though I take credit for running Steven Wilson off from the forum when he was a member here. LOLClap It was the fanboy club that for a time rivaled the Genesis bobbleheads  as the most insane fangroup here. Consistently voting albums by him/them as albums of the year.  Albums I thought were...well...ok.  I did like a lot of their earlier albums, and some of the SW solo albums,  unlike most though I found the later albums of PT to be... very vanilla.  Those were the albums people were going nutso about so of course I got my hackles up, as self appointed judge and jury of good forum tastes, and put a giant bullseyes on them for my interenet trolling. LOL

As far as expanding one's horizons... one look no further than the great selection of streaming samples the site has.  Pick a sub-genre here you think might be to your tastes and just kick back and stream samples from them.  While a lot of my picking at teh big name popular groups is tongue in cheek, another thing you might see about my posting, is while is it couched in the velvet glove of humor, I am often trying to make a point.  While the famous popular bands did some good music, the gems and real greatness in this music are the albums and bands that are underneath them in the stream of conscious thought. 

There is a lot out there to explore, and much I suspect you'll find and love.  Enjoy the ride dude! Clap

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 07:05

Meltdowner to be true I haven't given them much attention, as I probably should, but recently I started to diggin on "Up The Downstair", and enjoyed the opening track "synesthesia". It's so well happy hahah :D 
Don't know anything at all about Renaissance hmm. <bufforing>
Great, one of my favourites from them Smile
You should, it's good for your soul Big smile

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:12
Steven was really a member here? wooaaahh :O 
Well micky thanks for advice. I agree with you that it's very rare for genius come with popularity, and there's a lot of "hipster" masterpieces.

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:17

Steven was really a member here? wooaaahh :O

he was... man it was great...  many posters went crazy.. tossing their jockies at him.. I'm sure he loved it.

until Micky and his gang showed up .. and spoiled the love fest... and he never came back.  hah

there's a lot of "hipster" masterpieces.

ahhh...  you just nailed Camel LOLLOLLOLClap  Awesome... I'll chamber that round of a comment for the next time I need it. Clap

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:18

though I take credit for running Steven Wilson off from the forum when he was a member here. LOLClap It was the fanboy club that for a time rivaled the Genesis bobbleheads  as the most insane fangroup hereLOL 

You stand tall, man! Respect n' stuff. We'll keep Wilson as a sound engineer for remastering early KC and Tull. 

Who's next on Micky's Window Toss List - Corvus Stone? 

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:22
Micky. Okaaay XDDD Ohh I need to check camel! unfortunately there's nothing of them in local record store dayuuum. Btw there're cigarettes with same logo. Is this some kind of promotion of the band or sth?

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:22
oh no...  AMOLR is the only album that has ever.. WILL ever earn that level of animosity.

Floyd's greatness is not merely measured in its classics.. but in its epic failures.  It is weren't such a great band..I wouldn't have cared. I would have used the CD as a drink coaster like the TFK CD's I stupidly purchased when exploring them.

urggg...

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:24
Micky please don't make short forms, I can't figure them out at all hahah

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:25

Micky. Okaaay XDDD Ohh I need to check camel! unfortunately there's nothing of them in local record store dayuuum. Btw there're cigarettes with same logo. Is this some kind of promotion of the band or sth?

they have a large fanclub here,  good band but I have fun with them since fanboy tries to up them to GIANT status on par with the real greats.

I think there was perhaps some tie in with the cigarette band but don't quote me on that. 'Camel fan' can answer that better than I can.  All kidding aside, they are a good 4th division band, you'll get to them eventually and they did make a few good albums. Their guitarist was pretty good and played some good smokin' stuff. Get Mirage from them first... when you finally get to hitting 3rd or 4th division bands LOL

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:27
HOW MANY DIVISIONS IS OUT HERE? XD

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:28

Micky please don't make short forms, I can't figure them out at all hahah

yeah.. I'll watch that.  We drug a conversation from another thread into yours. We have to be careful with that. Thread hijacking is a widely practiced act of forum terrorism here.. .. and you are talking to the master of that.

AMLOR - Pink Floyd's A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

An album even more hated than my ex-wife LOLLOL and trust me.. I got more pleasure from her than I did the album.

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:30

HOW MANY DIVISIONS IS OUT HERE? XD

where do we have Camel today..  LOL  add one to that. I'd say 5 divisions

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:31

An album even more hated than my ex-wife LOLLOL and trust me.. I got more pleasure from her than I did the album.

Laughed so hard, oh dude hahaha

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:33

Laughed so hard, oh dude hahaha

Wink  enjoy the forum man.  It really is a neat place.  A lot of fun interesting people.. you got me first.. don't worry about that.. I'm not representative of  the forum of large.  Everyone else is really cool. Get out there and meet the guys (and girls).  A neat place to shoot the sh*t and discover music.

Cheers bro!

-------------

Posted By: Windhawk
Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:35
Seeing as you are from Poland, I suspect you might get a positive surprise or ten just by checking out the Polish bands in the Progarchives database. Then there are all the ones that aren't in here too, like Maze of Sound whose CD I got in the post yesterday.

Then there's all the rest, which is quite a lot. One band that might intrigue seeing some of your references is OSI.

-------------
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:40
yeah...  if you haven't met Bartek yet.. you will.  One of the sweetest people I've met here. Heart

He suggested this to me years ago.. and god almighty did I fall in love with this.

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:45
Windhawk wow, the cover art gives the climat of song very equally. Anyway, interesting sound and vocal style.

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 10:01
Welcome to the forums. Thumbs Up

As you can see we are a bunch of interesting characters around here.

It was the fanboy club that for a time rivaled the Genesis bobbleheads as the most insane fangroup here. 

I will take that as a compliment from Micky. LOL 

But insane? I do the same thing over and over again (listening to Genesis) expecting the same result. Complete satisfaction. Approve

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Date Posted: January 10 2015 at 10:05
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Welcome to the forums. Thumbs Up

As you can see we are a bunch of interesting characters around here.

It was the fanboy club that for a time rivaled the Genesis bobbleheads as the most insane fangroup here. 

I will take that as a compliment from Micky. LOL 

But insane? I do the same thing over and over again (listening to Genesis) expecting the same result. Complete satisfaction. Approve

ClapLOL

insanity btw is much better than normality.. or if not better.. a helluva lot more fun.

-------------

Date Posted: January 11 2015 at 15:10

insanity btw is much better than normality.. or if not better.. a helluva lot more fun.

There's no prog without insanity! :D

Date Posted: January 11 2015 at 15:13

There's no prog without insanity! :D

yes.. but is there prog without experimentation.. or complexity?

just don't get too experimental... or be complex for complexities sake or you'll run afoul of the prog police LOL

-------------

Date Posted: January 11 2015 at 15:22
^ unarmed prog teenager with history of nuisance complexities? 

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 10:39
Hahahah, just love people here.

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 11:56
Welcome Maciek to PA and to the wonderful world of Prog Rock (or Progressive Music or some other members will shoot at me LOL). You will find very nice people and tons of great music information here. It's great to have young people joining so I hope you will stay with us. Take your time and don't get put down if sometimes you feel a bit of distance such as with the shorthands frequently used (i.e. TAAB = Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick). Everything takes time and don't be shy to ask whenever you don't understand something, people here are remarkably gentle and friendly.

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 12:04
Well the only thing that kinda scares me is my lack of prog knowledge, I'm surfin' here and know like 1-2 bands on the thread, so I'm feel shy to even say something  hahah

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 14:09

Well the only thing that kinda scares me is my lack of prog knowledge, I'm surfin' here and know like 1-2 bands on the thread, so I'm feel shy to even say something  hahah

If you take one bit of advice from me.. let it be this. Don't be shy. Not here. It is the internet. No reason to BE shy.  I am in real life one of the most shy and reserved people you will ever meet, my wife is continually amazed at the transformation I undergo on the internet. 

The person who says they know it all about this music is completely full of sh*t.  Besides you are not the first nor the last 'new; person to this music to show up here. The guys (and gals) love to show off what we love about the music to those new to it.  If you don't know.. just ask... if you want to know something .. just ask.  No one is going to bite you, and if a troll should come along.. don't worry. We take care of our own here and are experts in taking out  the trash.

Now that said.. lose the shyness and get to exploring.  Check out my battle of the bands polls.  You have 64 bands there that had good qaulity samples, in addition to being (IMO) some of the most important 'must know' bands in prog rock/progressivre rock. Perhaps a good place to start.

-------------

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 14:38

Now that said.. lose the shyness and get to exploring.  Check out my battle of the bands polls.  You have 64 bands there that had good qaulity samples, in addition to being (IMO) some of the most important 'must know' bands in prog rock/progressivre rock. Perhaps a good place to start.

Well thanks. But, what bands, what samples, don't know where to search D:

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 14:43
Yeah, don't be shy, I'm glad I lost my shyness here, I discovered tons of artists since then Smile

Cool Death Note avatar by the way Thumbs Up If you're interested, there's an Anime thread, I got some cool recommendations there Smile

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 14:53

Well thanks. But, what bands, what samples, don't know where to search D:

hmmm.. perhaps the easiest way might be to do a forum search. Use 'Micky' as a key word (don't worry.. the pictues of me in drag trolling for men haven't ever been posted here) and select 'topics by'.

I ran a bunch... dozens of polls .. band X against band y and in the body of the first post I include samples. Many favorites of mine, but I'd admit to having great tastes, and think many of the samples are good respresenatives of the bands (which of course was the whole idea of...)

If that doesn't work.. just go to the prog poll section and go back through the pages..  we started them in November and you'll be sure to find them all.

-------------

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 15:55

Which makes you more knowledgeable than maybe 89.32% of the PA crowd Thumbs Up

If you want to get into writing reviews, you could start with this track .. I think here on PA it's called Storm Corrosion or something: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEAyHkFd6F4

Date Posted: January 14 2015 at 09:07
hahahahah. spectacular similarity

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk