Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100946
Printed Date: May 14 2024 at 23:10
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Prog Returning to the Pop Charts
Posted By: Skullhead
Subject: Prog Returning to the Pop Charts
Date Posted: January 11 2015 at 23:43
When prog first hit the ears of late 1960's music listeners, it went right into the mainstream pop charts.
From Crimson to Floyd, Tull to Yes, Genesis to the Moody Blues.  Nearly 50 years later anyone can go to a vinyl record store and easily find the proof of the abundance of the popularity of these bands in the dollar bins often in volumes. 

What would have to happen for modern prog to compete with the likes of today's pop stars like Gaga, Beiber, Miley, Swift?

Would they have to come to prog and absorb it? or do we need a hip hop version of prog etc?

Replies:
Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: January 11 2015 at 23:57
If there were a progressive take on the kind of garage rock The White Stripes or Death From Above 1979 does, that could probably chart. And it would be spectacular.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 01:11
I will have to Muse over this for a whileWink

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 02:53
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I'm not a fan of Muse, but on this I have to agree - they've had more than twenty Top 40 chart hits.  So I reckon they'll be regarded as the spearhead of prog's return to the pop charts.  Radiohead have had 7 chart hits this century (I'm disregarding their 90s output as not being sufficiently recent to count) and I'm sure there must be other examples, but I need coffee

and this week's Rock chart shows Bohemian Rhapsody currently a Top 5 hit, so hopefully a new generation might get turned onto prog through that (there's always going to be young kids hearing things like that for the very first time and getting into interesting music because of it)
http://www.officialcharts.com/rock-and-metal-singles-chart/

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 03:29
Originally posted by Skullhead Skullhead wrote:

When prog first hit the ears of late 1960's music listeners, it went right into the mainstream pop charts.
From Crimson to Floyd, Tull to Yes, Genesis to the Moody Blues.  Nearly 50 years later anyone can go to a vinyl record store and easily find the proof of the abundance of the popularity of these bands in the dollar bins often in volumes. 

What would have to happen for modern prog to compete with the likes of today's pop stars like Gaga, Beiber, Miley, Swift?

Would they have to come to prog and absorb it? or do we need a hip hop version of prog etc?
I believe that for that to happen we would have to stop imitating our prog ancestors and pay attention to what PF, Gabriel, Bush, Genesis (in the 80's), and Radiohead have accomplished (some of these examples are dated, but you can learn something from them, right?). You will find a correlation that suggests that maybe in this case Crossover is the way to go.

... or ...

go with metal. I'm not sure how popular guys like Death are today, but the metal scene here in Reno is huge and diverse, from technical to crap. I was auditioning for a metal band (whoever told me that was a good idea) that had the chops, so as an idea prog was in place.

Crossover, metal, or both; take your pick. That would be my guess, all in all.

Posted By: Luis de Sousa
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 03:59
Quote What would have to happen for modern prog to compete with the likes of today's pop stars like Gaga, Beiber, Miley, Swift?

Something really bad, that I wish never happens. Those North American performers you refer to are not musicians, nor do they aim to be so; they are mere entertainers. Thus you can not possibly compare both things.

In the 1960s and 1970s this sort of entertainment did not even exist, mostly because TV was not yet involved in the record selling business. Everyone might be curious to know what Cyrus will do next to show her tities, whereas a King Crimson record will only appeal to a certain segment of the population, however exceptional.

Regarding charts, and adding to what has already been said, the past 30 years all Iron Maiden LPs have made it to the top 10 in multiple places in Europe, and there is always a #1 to tell about. More recent acts such as Dream Theatre, Nightwish, Tool, Riverside or Devin Townsend have also accomplished a great deal of popularity.

-------------
http://attheedgeoftime.blogspot.com/search/label/music" rel="nofollow - Music musings | http://www.last.fm/user/Luis_de_Sousa" rel="nofollow - Last.fm profile

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 04:10
I would say that with the social connectivity of the modern world were the support of the big labels and big radio and TV shows is not anymore a pre-condition (a fashion or trend can spread via things like Facebook, YouTube, Bandcamp and internet radio stations), it is perfectly possible to happen some day.
It just needs a lucky trigger, by which it starts to become a trend among a certain social group, something considered 'cool' which spreads. The said social group would possibly be, as it was in the 70's, university students seeking some cultural referent. And the trigger might involve something visual, I think it's difficult to attract much people with the music alone, but if some band would come with some innovative and spectacular visual show, who knows... (Gabriel-like theatrics again but with some modern twist?). It should be a trend involving not only music but including some lifestyle elements, style of clothing, some social statements or moto's or whatever (like 'Make Love Not War' was for the flower power, 'No Future' was for punk, clothing and makeup was for glam, hairstyle was for new wave etc).

But also very possibly it would be some of the 'new Prog' styles, not retro Prog, and it would not be popular in the league of Lady Gaga, Bieber & co. That's not going to happen, but it could become relatively popular as a niche.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 05:08
what would have to happen? Its fans supporting the current scene, instead of being firmly stuck in the past - unless you would like to see 40-year-old albums in those chartsTongue.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 05:23
that is too damned funny... and so true.

If the fans of the music don't SUPPORT it.. ie BUY it.. how in the HELL is it ever going to resonated with the gen pop.  What .. f**king magic!! LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: paganinio
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 05:49
Every progressive rock album by Tool landed on the Billboard Top 2.  Aenima was #2.  Lateralus and 10,000 Days were #1.  But Tool is probably not a good example to follow because they care too little about being popular and having lots of fans.  Sigur Ros is a much better example of a Prog-Archives certified prog band that have a solid and ever-increasing fan base,  willing to release new music,  willing to tour, has a charismatic front man and are generally easier to chart in the US and other major countries.

-------------

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 06:33
Wasn't "The Golden Age of Rock Music" (late '60s - early '70s) a cultural manifestation/byproduct of the socio-econo-political turmoil of Biblical proportions that was going on at that time? 

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 06:59
I don't think prog ever will become part of the "mainstream" - as for progressive music, then I think we need a brand new "the 60s" for that to ever unfold. We have to change the audience and make them challenge the way they normally think about sounds - the music is already there. 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 07:05
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Wasn't "The Golden Age of Rock Music" (late '60s - early '70s) a cultural manifestation/byproduct of the socio-econo-political turmoil of Biblical proportions that was going on at that time? 

I would say 'no', the artists were just trying to push on the boundaries, like it's happening right nowadays with progressive music (though in underground way). Something alike but much stronger happened in Italy - Rinascenza; France - Impressionism; Europe - XIX Century's Pre-romantic and Romantic Era in Classical Music.

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 07:48
Mew's Introducing Palace Players was a bit of a video hit and it is spectacular. Best prog song in last
15 years IMHO. 

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 08:41

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

I believe that for that to happen we would have to stop imitating our prog ancestors and pay attention to what PF, Gabriel, Bush, Genesis (in the 80's), and Radiohead have accomplished (some of these examples are dated, but you can learn something from them, right?). You will find a correlation that suggests that maybe in this case Crossover is the way to go.

... or ...

go with metal. I'm not sure how popular guys like Death are today, but the metal scene here in Reno is huge and diverse, from technical to crap. I was auditioning for a metal band (whoever told me that was a good idea) that had the chops, so as an idea prog was in place.

If we look at history, within a general and generic context, for the past 75 years, it ALL has been massively different changes in the music concepts and design. Many of them, specially popular music, still had a song context, but now they were getting modern with an electric guitar and/or a synthesizer.

The evolution of instruments has slowed down considerably. The amplification and modifications of the signal have hit a big ceiling and are not expanding for now. I'm a firm believer, based on the past 75 years that the next "evolution" will be centered around a completely new sound that intrigues us, and until that happens, everything will sound duplicated from someone else in the past ... it's the nature of music history!

What it will be like and such ... is for the birds and bees to decide ... our ideas will be damned by then anyway!  Confused

Will it be mainstream or not? I don't think it matters, in the long run, after all Debussy, and many others were laughed at as stupid and bad composers!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 08:48
Does anyone remember when What's A Matter You (Shuddup You Face) made the charts?

There  how always been chart quarks, is this simply another?

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: altaeria
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 09:00

I think Miley or Gaga would have to actually release an album with an extended prog epic or two. 
Maybe Miley's next identity crisis could be based on her questioning her own artistic integrity??  
They both seem eccentric enough for something like this to happen.  
I suppose it depends on how much leeway their management/label gives them to experiment musically. 
If either found success with a Bohemian Rhapsody (or even Sister Christian) style song, it may open the door.
Shocked

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 09:09
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

I'm not a fan of Muse, but on this I have to agree - they've had more than twenty Top 40 chart hits.  So I reckon they'll be regarded as the spearhead of prog's return to the pop charts.  Radiohead have had 7 chart hits this century (I'm disregarding their 90s output as not being sufficiently recent to count) and I'm sure there must be other examples, but I need coffee

and this week's Rock chart shows Bohemian Rhapsody currently a Top 5 hit, so hopefully a new generation might get turned onto prog through that (there's always going to be young kids hearing things like that for the very first time and getting into interesting music because of it)
http://www.officialcharts.com/rock-and-metal-singles-chart/

There' also Coheed and Cambria with songs like "A Favor House Atlantic' or 'Welcome Home'. Not nearly as popular as Muse, but still rather well-known.

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 09:12
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Does anyone remember when What's A Matter You (Shuddup You Face) made the charts?

There  how always been chart quarks, is this simply another?
Kinda like Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter. LOL

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 09:37
^Glad you caught the joke. LOL

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 10:18

Originally posted by Rick
Robson Rick Robson wrote:

I would say 'no', the artists were just trying to push on the boundaries, like it's happening right nowadays with progressive music (though in underground way). Something alike but much stronger happened in Italy - Rinascenza; France - Impressionism; Europe - XIX Century's Pre-romantic and Romantic Era in Classical Music. 
We know from history books that Europe was going through incredible tectonic shift right about the time when Impressionism was taking root. A coincidence or a direct and overwhelming causative factor? If you are into history, you may want to read up on the “Spring of the Nations”.

And the 21st century resurgence of prog is happening, or so it would seem, concurrently with very momentous (albeit gradual) socio-economic changes.

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 10:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

The evolution of instruments has slowed down considerably. The amplification and modifications of the signal have hit a big ceiling and are not expanding for now. I'm a firm believer, based on the past 75 years that the next "evolution" will be centered around a completely new sound that intrigues us, and until that happens, everything will sound duplicated from someone else in the past ... it's the nature of music history!
I'm not so sure. The physical principles of sound are now completely understood and by now the technology exists so that ANY humanly audible timbre can be produced. From this perspective the ceiling you refer to is there to remain, there can not be any further expansion in terms of generating new sounds. Another thing is that sounds which are already possible today but are rarely used because they feel too weird may become common as our ears and brains get used to new trends. And of course the possible re-combinations of existing sounds in different ways are endless. But new sounds from new instruments evolution? no I don't think so or at least not in any major way.

I think truly "new music" may come from scientific and technological advances not in the sound synthesis itself but in the understanding of the neurology involved in music perception. There may come a day when "music" is a different thing, we getting wired or wearing a sort of helmet which directly will cause sense perceptions in our brain similar to what we now get with sonic music, exciting the same brain circuits as our hearing does and generating mental landscapes and emotions in our minds.

but that's a big digression from the OP LOL

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 10:39
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

I would say that yes, much of modern rock music (though certainly not all!) had a cultural aspect, surely not of Biblical proportions, but it had some cultural background associated with it. The Flower Power, Psychedelia, Hard Rock, Prog, Glam, Punk, New Wave, Hip-Hop... all of this genres did actually represent the musical side of a wider cultural scene in their followers which included aesthetics, leitmotifs and lifestyle elements. Perhaps the reason why modern rock and the modern progressive music is lacking steam (at least in the opinion of some) is that it lacks that cultural substrate. All of the aforementioned genres I can identify with some visual and cultural aspects with which they were associated, but if you ask me which cultural current are the modern progressive bands manifesting, I have no idea. 

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 10:51
So is it just the evolution of genre labels and titles that pulled prog out of the charts? I mean back in the late 60's early 70's most bands like KC, Tull, The Pink Floyd, Genesis were spoke of as "pop music" or "rock music".....If you watch very early documentary's most call them pop bands.
Today, we expand and tear apart the music and make it difficult for the general public to understand what it is we are talking about. We created a label system that sub-divided all rock music into smaller categories based on structure, song writing, influence and what instruments are being used. It could be we made it way too confusing for the general public to follow our music and make it popular again...I mean I think this website would explode if King Crimson and Pink Floyd were to be called rock/pop music.

-------------

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 11:19
Did any of the second wave of prog in the 90's or later have any chart success?
Spocks, Flower Kings, Anglegard, Ozric T... etc?

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 11:28
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

So is it just the evolution of genre labels and titles that pulled prog out of the charts? I mean back in the late 60's early 70's most bands like KC, Tull, The Pink Floyd, Genesis were spoke of as "pop music" or "rock music".....If you watch very early documentary's most call them pop bands.
Today, we expand and tear apart the music and make it difficult for the general public to understand what it is we are talking about. We created a label system that sub-divided all rock music into smaller categories based on structure, song writing, influence and what instruments are being used. It could be we made it way too confusing for the general public to follow our music and make it popular again...I mean I think this website would explode if King Crimson and Pink Floyd were to be called rock/pop music.
Yes and no, I guess what the OP meant is whether complicated music could become popular again, and for that to happen no labels are required.

Posted By: Luis de Sousa
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 14:33
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I don't think prog ever will become part of the "mainstream" - as for progressive music, then I think we need a brand new "the 60s" for that to ever unfold. We have to change the audience and make them challenge the way they normally think about sounds - the music is already there. 

Someone born in 1950 in an OECD member had by 1970 lived through the period of fastest economic growth in the history of Mankind (when accounted both in € and physical terms).

Progressive music was one of the creations of the Baby Boom generation. In Europe they were the first in centuries to not live through (or have the perspective) of foot-soldier war or serious economic recession. Education was made truly universal, and by the 1960s the majority of those enrolled in University were for the first time children of the working class. This generation thus developed other concerns and ambitions, naturally using music to create an identity of their own.

In the US there was the Vietnam war, the Nixon shock and Universities were kept to the elite. But up to 1973, those lucky enough to have missed the war lived through a period of incredible prosperity and progress.

-------------
http://attheedgeoftime.blogspot.com/search/label/music" rel="nofollow - Music musings | http://www.last.fm/user/Luis_de_Sousa" rel="nofollow - Last.fm profile

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 14:51

For an American like myself born in 1951 the answer is yes. For those Americans born 10 years earlier or later, the answer would be no.  Unfortunately, your question depends on relativity, Argonaught.

Posted By: WeepingElf
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 14:56
Some ideas of mine:

The pop charts have been rushing through hype after hype for years.  Britpop, "The"-bands, Dubstep ... who knows what will follow next?  Will people eventually get bored with music restricted to either the "radio single" format (most kinds of rock and pop music) or endless repetition of a short riff (much of what is labeled "progressive" these days in the "alternative rock" press)?  What kind of music may become associated with the LOHAS/"Bright Green" current?  Will that lead to a renaissance of progressive rock, in a modernized form but adhering to the progressive spirit of the late 60s and early 70s?  Perhaps - but perhaps not.

Progressive rock, as I see it, filled a niche in the late 60s, when modern jazz became bloodlessly academic the same way classical music had become in the late 40s; it seems that there is a demand for contemporary sophisticated but lifelike and accessible music.  I think this demand still exists today, and I don't see how hip-hop and electronic dance music should bring forth something to fulfill this demand anytime soon.  Nor do I see how repetitive music of rock origin really fulfills it.  I, at least, get bored quickly listening to Mogwai or Tool.

Hence, I think that progressive rock will continue to grow in the next few decades, though it is uncertain whether it will ever rock stadiums again.

-------------
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 15:29
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

Some ideas of mine:

The pop charts have been rushing through hype after hype for years.  Britpop, "The"-bands, Dubstep ... who knows what will follow next?  Will people eventually get bored with music restricted to either the "radio single" format (most kinds of rock and pop music) or endless repetition of a short riff (much of what is labeled "progressive" these days in the "alternative rock" press)?  What kind of music may become associated with the LOHAS/"Bright Green" current?  Will that lead to a renaissance of progressive rock, in a modernized form but adhering to the progressive spirit of the late 60s and early 70s?  Perhaps - but perhaps not.

Progressive rock, as I see it, filled a niche in the late 60s, when modern jazz became bloodlessly academic the same way classical music had become in the late 40s; it seems that there is a demand for contemporary sophisticated but lifelike and accessible music.  I think this demand still exists today, and I don't see how hip-hop and electronic dance music should bring forth something to fulfill this demand anytime soon.  Nor do I see how repetitive music of rock origin really fulfills it.  I, at least, get bored quickly listening to Mogwai or Tool.

Hence, I think that progressive rock will continue to grow in the next few decades, though it is uncertain whether it will ever rock stadiums again.

I have to take umbrage with two of your conclusions:

First off, jazz hadn't gotten anywhere near academic in the late '60's. That was more an invention of the '80's and beyond. Jazz in the late '60's included fusion, free jazz, acid jazz... truly out of this world stuff. And those jazz fans who didn't like that instead lapped up the last of the great modal and post-bop albums.

Second, never ever undersell hip hop and EDM. Those genres have undergrounds, and I know for a plain fact that underground rap is as vibrant and varied as prog. And so it is in much the same place as prog - Dalek and Matt Martians have their own experimental and unique music like Beardfish and Senogul, but as well the same fat chance of ever hitting the mainstream. Mainstream rap is, then as well, much like mainstream rock.

In the end, then, I'd say that any unique underground album from prog, indie, hip hop, wherever, could, if they hit the chord at the right time, get mainstream success, but they aren't going to drag a whole bunch of subgenres up with them.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 21:28
What's everyone worried about? Pink Floyd, Rush, Yes, Ian Anderson and Genesis have all charted in the past couple years with releases or rereleases. Nothing has changed.LOL

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 01:46
I think we have to make a distinction between prog tracks that make the charts and prog bands having hit singles. 
For instance Radiohead - Paranoid Android is the last time I remember a prog track making the British Charts, Its a very rare occurence . Something like Kayleigh is not really prog imo.

Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 02:00
Does anyone remember a song called "Love is like Oxygen" performed by a glam pop band called "The Sweet" back in the 70's?

That was a very big hit back then, and if you listen to it.. it's absolute prog rock if you get the album cut, and not the chopped radio version.

They were as poppy as Justin Beiber is today, but they did this prog song that was a smash hit. 

It's a great song and an epic prog song much like Elton John's "Funeral for a Friend". 

I think it's more likely Lady Gaga would put out a great prog tune and gain interest than a modern prog band rise to prominence through the current music business system.

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 06:34
For prog to achieve the level of popularity it once had would require a sea change in the attitudes of the average music buyer who's been conditioned to view music as product rather than art.

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 06:58
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

For prog to achieve the level of popularity it once had would require a sea change in the attitudes of the average music buyer who's been conditioned to view music as product rather than art.

Tarkus by ELP was the number 1 album in the UK charts in 1971. Was this 'product/art' ignored by the average music buyer (whatever that means) yet there remained a sufficient surfeit of willing consumers to usurp the prevailing orthodoxy of conditioning? I believe people have considerably more nous that you seem to believe (albeit much has changed societally in 40 yearsUnhappy)

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 12:47
Originally posted by Luís de Sousa Luís de Sousa wrote:

Quote What would have to happen for modern prog to compete with the likes of today's pop stars like Gaga, Beiber, Miley, Swift?

Something really bad, that I wish never happens. Those North American performers you refer to are not musicians, nor do they aim to be so; they are mere entertainers. 

Au contraire.  Lady Gaga is an excellent keyboardist and talented vocalist.  Any time she wants to reprise "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway," I'd be very interested.  She has an amazing sense of drama with her stage clothes, so I'd enjoy seeing her in a Slipper Man suit! 

She is from New York City, so who knows?  

Date Posted: January 14 2015 at 01:25

Does anyone remember a song called "Love is like Oxygen" performed by a glam pop band called "The Sweet" back in the 70's?

That was a very big hit back then, and if you listen to it.. it's absolute prog rock if you get the album cut, and not the chopped radio version.

They were as poppy as Justin Beiber is today, but they did this prog song that was a smash hit. 

It's a great song and an epic prog song much like Elton John's "Funeral for a Friend". 

I think it's more likely Lady Gaga would put out a great prog tune and gain interest than a modern prog band rise to prominence through the current music business system.

The Sweet were the first band I loved and I still enjoy some of their music. The long version is a bit longer but not that much. Another big hit around that time was Ram Jam Band - Black Betty. I only discovered a few years ago a long version of this track. Worth checking out for the manic 'southern boogie' mid section that was cut out on the single edit.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: January 14 2015 at 02:22
That what we call a mainstream is two different things then and now.

Date Posted: January 14 2015 at 02:29
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

... or ...

Great post, Dayvenkirq Clap

Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 14:35
Perhaps the unfashionability of progressive rock is partly due to a low fashionability of intellectual pursuits in leisure time.  People who indulge in intellectual pursuits are often considered "geeks", if not suspected to have Asperger's.  "Normal" people go to the gym after work, not to the library.  They watch sports events on TV, not science documentaries.  And progressive rock is indubitably quite an intellectual music genre, but lacking the prestige of classical and modern jazz.

-------------

Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 14:53
I don't think prog is for intellectual people any more than ABBA is for women and male hairdressers. That myth has luckily been put to bed.
You just have to read a couple of threads here on PA to see that it isn't exactly rocket ingeneers and professors roaming the fora, but the same people you run into down at the shops. (We do have quite a few smarties around, but then again my next door neighbour is too but listens primarily to Elvis and Motown.)

As for the OP: think of all the times you have tried to get someone into prog - played them a piece, and then had them ridiculing it or immediately put something else on. Now imagine having to sell the idea of putting prog back on the map to radio stations, MTV, Someones got talent and all those super trendy shows that are all the rave these days. No chance.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Hemis
Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 15:04
Hum, I think music is constantly. Prog came, then punk came, then disco/new wave, then the strange 90's, then even more strange music. The thing is: don't you dare think that teens these days only listen to Pop. There are lots of them listening to rock and even progressive music. I can't tell if Prog will ever again be mainstream, personally I don't think so not as in the 70's but I believe that the mainstream music will evolve into something for beautiful for us, progressive listeners. We just have to support them

Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 15:17
I agree, there are a lot of young music fans out there who're into progressive musics, but prog is not very high on that list. Electronic, metal, post punk and various forms of electro pop is much easier to find. I don't think we will see prog gaining new ground any time soon. The number of members on PA fx has been the same ever since I started visiting the site. Sure we get more members, but there are just as many from the past who don't use it anymore. It levels things out in the end. We are still about the same amount of posters as we've always been on any given day.
Plus I don't see any new prog sites popping up - at least not anyone with as much success as PA. All in all, prog is a niche thang. My guess is that it'll stay like that, which I am perfectly fine with (although it would be cool if there were more people willing to support the hard working bands out there).

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 15:24
Well, there are also wrong things with Prog. Not prog but some bands, why don't they have a website with their lyrics and music available?! Personally I'll never buy their albums if I don't really really like the album and how can I like the album if I can't listen to it!? When my band records something I'll make sure our music is available as well as the lyrics that are tremendously important in progressive music. 

Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 15:31
Maybe so, but the biggest problem (as I see it) is still getting people to listen to it. About 90% of the members here feel at home on this very site, because they don't have anyone to share their taste in music with in real life: 'My friends/wife/ukulele teacher/sister/chef/dad/insert someone can't stand prog!!!!'

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 15:44
For sure I'll show these bands to my children.. But yes, the truth is: Progressive music is not an easy genre to listen to (at least first)

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 16:04
Originally posted by Hemis Hemis wrote:

Well, there are also wrong things with Prog. Not prog but some bands, why don't they have a website with their lyrics and music available?! Personally I'll never buy their albums if I don't really really like the album and how can I like the album if I can't listen to it!? When my band records something I'll make sure our music is available as well as the lyrics that are tremendously important in progressive music. 

You do have a point here. Too many bands/artists make it VERY hard for prospective listeners to find them, with inadequate information on their websites/FB pages, and often hardly any music to listen to. One of the most frustrating things for reviewers (and also for Genre teams here on PA) is having to hunt around the Internet for a bare-bones bio of a band/artist - in some cases to no avail, which is, of course, self-defeating.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 20:09
Maybe it might take a new underground to emerge to show some level of support. Maybe it would take some radio executives - or whoever decides what plays - to not write certain groups off. Maybe just sheer luck. I don't know. Prog has always been mix of accessible and inaccessible music, so I've never really grasped why some of it was never given a real mainstream listen even after the Prog decline.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 20:31
Since when......??

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 20:48
^Um, since when what? Are you referring to the Prog decline, which is basically the 80s, or something else I wrote?

Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 21:43
^ - Sorry - I was referring to 'Prog returning to the Pop charts'...... I haven't heard any....

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 21:56

Perhaps the unfashionability of progressive rock is partly due to a low fashionability of intellectual pursuits in leisure time.  People who indulge in intellectual pursuits are often considered "geeks", if not suspected to have Asperger's.  "Normal" people go to the gym after work, not to the library.  They watch sports events on TV, not science documentaries.  And progressive rock is indubitably quite an intellectual music genre, but lacking the prestige of classical and modern jazz.

Ah, indubitably?  LOL  I'd like to know exactly how DT with their clumsy lyrics are more intellectual than Fiona Apple.  How's Kansas more intellectual than Magazine?  Let's not get too carried away just because prog seems to appeal to a small minority of listeners.  I do believe prog appeals more to geeks because they would actually be able to patiently listen to long tracks of music.  Besides, a lot of the appeal of prog is kind of mathematical, as in how is the music organised, how are the time sig changes managed, etc, again something that is more likely to appeal to geeks.  I don't seem to feel any need ever to want to make out that I just do what everybody else does.  What's liberty for if you don't exercise it? LOL  Who cares what people want to label you as for listening to prog? 

Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 22:11
I'm tipping that the lyrics usually come in 2nd. Prog is more about the playing and arrangements. Surely I'm generalising, but unless you're a Gabriel, Hammill, Bush or Cockburn, intellectual lyrics don't come easy...

Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 22:13
Yup, whereas there are a lot of music lovers who discern and dissect great lyrics with just as much effort as we might devote to the arrangements and they may not hold a lot of prog in very high regard.  

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 22:25
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

If there were a progressive take on the kind of garage rock The White Stripes or Death From Above 1979 does, that could probably chart. And it would be spectacular.
Check out Naomi Punk. Math-y garage rock. Still firmly rooted in punk, though.

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 22:35
^ Punk's no problem. Will check her out.

Date Posted: January 26 2015 at 01:56
Will there be hip hop prog? 
Seems fair enough since metal prog and electronica prog seem acceptable around these here parts!

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: January 26 2015 at 11:17

Will there be hip hop prog? 
Seems fair enough since metal prog and electronica prog seem acceptable around these here parts!

Why shouldn't there be? Kanye sampled King Crimson's 21st Century Skchizoid Man, lol. He has actually sampled quite a lot of prog & prog-related in his music: Sing Swan Song by Can (1972); In High Places by Mike Oldfield feat. Jon Anderson; You Are - I Am by Manfred Mann's Earth Band (1979); Iron Man by Black Sabbath (1970); Kid Charlemagne by Steely Dan (1976); plus Queen, Phil Manzanera...

H did a bit of rapping (not very good) on the Marillion track Quartz.

To be honest, I'd *much* rather hear rap prog than metal prog...

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: January 26 2015 at 11:55
Smile by The Beach Boys in 1967 was discussed and determined to be Progressive Pop. However..all the key experiences commonly associated with respected Progressive Rock writers existed within Brian Wilson approach to this album which he..originally responded to those in question of it's weirdness to be a "teenage symphony to God". He was a stargazer in his youth and by making some sort of connection to the stars he also became attached to something spiritual. If any of the members here have zero belief of something in life being spiritual, then we can say that these feelings which inspire us to reach out and compose are brought about by logically changing our surroundings. Charlie Parker had said that ...they teach us that music has boundaries, but art HAS no boundaries. It disturbs me that we must completely separate "Rubber Soul" from Genesis and Yes. It annoys me to pigeon-hole Rubber Soul into a category because in retrospect...it was merely a experiment of something quite new in 65'. Not experimental music , but experimenting WITH music to see if they could maybe change the way the world of musicians were writing. In the end...that's precisely what Rubber Soul did. Everyone tried to write like that after the release of it and I probably feel the way I do because I was there to witness it in 65' like every other American kid who flipped out over The Beatles. That's why I value it to the same extent  I do with "A Trick Of The Tail".

You couldn't possibly change the world of Prog by giving it media coverage/promotion in 2015 ..when the actual art form of melodic composition no longer exists on the same level AS it did in the 60's and 70's AND possibly in the 80's as well when many "New Wave" bands emulated the "British Invasion" with an attachment of The Kinks premature "Punk Rock" style. The art form revolved around a different concept totally. In the 70's, Elton John would write a song ...which became a number one hit and in the song...you might hear a chord progression reminiscent of what Gary Brooker from Procol Harum would play. Many "Top 40" hits in the 60's and 70's contained snippets of musical elements often found or LATER to be found in Progressive Rock. Just the idea to play more progressive in MOST music during the 60's and 70's was the basis for the art form. That doesn't exist anymore as a goal, production, experiment, or never mind your own goals ..but to change the future of music. This approach to the art form in the 60's and 70's was ridiculously vast and now it seems less and less. The most important act would be to attempt changing society first. I don't know if Prog could be sold to generations of people who have over decades developed a short attention span for music that's taken for granted and compared to the commonly routines of someone walking their dog or brushing their teeth..

Date Posted: January 26 2015 at 11:57
Originally posted by altaeria altaeria wrote:

I think Miley or Gaga would have to actually release an album with an extended prog epic or two. 
Maybe Miley's next identity crisis could be based on her questioning her own artistic integrity??  
They both seem eccentric enough for something like this to happen... 

I think that after their 'sex" appeal, a lot of it will disappear for them. Sooner or later it will be about that big one for one of them and the threesomes and foursomes for the other, ragardless of who is who. I doubt, at that point, that they will be as "important" as entertainers as they are right now, where the alluring appeal is more valuable than the reality behind it. Not to mention that not all women, after childbirth all have teenage bodies with which to entice you or the audience, and that tennagers will still be looking at it as some kind of inspiration. You can see this, really well, in Madonna, and how all of a sudden she is not as vital or important to most folks out there, ragardless of what they do musically.

Of all these, Madonna has the best potential for creating something within the progressive vein, although I sincerely doubt that her ego would allow her to follow up on these ideas, and get away from the popular ideals that have made her so much money and fame.

If, and when, prog returns to the pop charts, is a sort of oxymoron. Most important and early examples of progressive music were all anti-pop and fame, and concentrated on the music or the work at hand, and not anything else. For this to happen, these "entertainers" would ahve to be well off for the lifetimes of themselves and their children, so they do not need to feel forced into another orgy of entrepeneurs that want to make them more money.

Honestly, I'm not looking at Gaga in her 50's in costume, and neither would I find attractive a Miley at 50 trying to show how sexy it can be to show off her buns. The public appeal will likely disappear as their once at a time fans, all get into families and children ... you can only deny your youth for so long!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: January 26 2015 at 12:02

Maybe so, but the biggest problem (as I see it) is still getting people to listen to it. About 90% of the members here feel at home on this very site, because they don't have anyone to share their taste in music with in real life: 'My friends/wife/ukulele teacher/sister/chef/dad/insert someone can't stand prog!!!!'

I would probably make a stupid statement like ... you sure they know what prog is?

My neighbors are in a similar situation. They are totally attracted to the 1500 LP's and 2K CD's, but they do not realize that there is "music" in them, and they are not (yet) attuned to music in their lives. 

For them it seems to be just a phase in their lives, and not something important. And this might be where the music itself has to get better and more important and beyond the 4 minute cut, which is not quite happening. There are a few bands out there, that do so, but they are not exactly getting away from a "format" and specially within a creative context that can not see beyond a format, even with something as strange and weird as putting the end at the beginning and the middle parts in the end. which, silly enough as it may sound, would likely make it more progressive than otherwise!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: January 26 2015 at 12:30
The whole entire promotion of sex today is just completely stupied. You're no longer watching natural beauty in a woman. Natural beauty within Clare Danes, Meg Tilly, or even Kim Basinger who was set up to be a beauty queen , but didn't need a "make up" job to look beautiful. It's a ridiculous notion when there is a whole other world of beautiful women out there who are not only superior in intelligence, multi-talented..but strikingly beautiful and with just one look, your entire mind is under a spell causing you to walk around for days thinking and dreaming about her beauty. It's romantic to feel that way and why be ignorant and focus only on your manhood or private parts? Who became God and decided that woman are little toys to play with? That they must be put on display? Could you imagine how Linda McCartney must have felt when she was asked why she did not shave her legs? That's nothing but an ignorant commercialized American attitude. Every European female musician I've worked with NEVER, EVER shaved their legs and they informed me that the men in European countries do not mind it. The mind set is different, the concept, and placing women on display for profit is disgraceful. I know this is going off thread, but I've never felt that women have been accepted as people. I mention this because I've worked with over loads of female artists in the last 40 years and they have all confessed the pressures of the male ego to present them on stage as something insulting to their gender, when honestly?..they are very sincere women who are serious to their art and feel that this often requested act is hurtful and difficult to live with.  

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: January 26 2015 at 15:59
It would be impossible for a purely prog rock song to make it onto the charts, no matter how good it is. The music industry is a huge obstacle between great music and a couple billion potential prog fans, and the 2 genres of chart music and this culty genre are basically 2 extremes. There would have to be a huge compromise, or at least combination of the 2 genres (e.g. sex appeal and strong production with intricate music and profound lyrical content about something mundane). By that stage, it would probably have become so diluted as progressive music, it would be something else entirely. 

The only hope there is, is a huge underground revolution that overthrows the musical businessmen but obviously there's virtually no chance of that. I guess we'll just have to settle with listening to Nicki Minaj on the radio, and saving prog for a darkened room surrounded by candles and joss sticks Tongue

Date Posted: January 26 2015 at 21:01
A prog band can't even be successful in the prog community.  People's tastes here are so divers even within the genre.  For a prog band to be successful, they have to somehow attract normal music listeners, just like they did in the past.

People used to listen to albums front to back, but now with music listening being programmed into smart phones, it's just a track here and a track there, so the concept album is really in the dumps.  Even a non concept album from the past usually had a specific order to the songs on an album.  It was a very important part of the presentation. 

The same person who fragments their music on the smart phone, will rant about the presentation of their food at some trendy restaurant downtown, and get into a hissy fit on YELP about how the garnishing clashed with the potato swirl that shouldn't have touched the asparagus.  But they won't listen to an album like DSOTM in it's entirety unless it's cued up with two joints and The Wizard of Oz.

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 01:42
I was never a fan of the concept album and if anything that is something would have driven me away from the genre. It was a picture of gun toting armadillo that got me interested in prog. So much for being an 'intellectual' ( and also I do like looking at naked pictures of attractive women , sorry Toddler!!). People don't connect that easily with prog and its not that surprising really when you listen to people like Steven Wilson talking. He is so far up his own **** its ridiculous. I like his music though.Smile

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 08:18

I was never a fan of the concept album and if anything that is something would have driven me away from the genre. It was a picture of gun toting armadillo that got me interested in prog. So much for being an 'intellectual' ( and also I do like looking at naked pictures of attractive women , sorry Toddler!!). People don't connect that easily with prog and its not that surprising really when you listen to people like Steven Wilson talking. He is so far up his own **** its ridiculous. I like his music though.Smile

Nothing directly wrong with finding a woman's body attractive. Everything wrong with finding another man's wife attractive if you're acting on it. Sexual promiscuity is not a healthy act and sometimes it breaks up marriages. Although something must be deadly wrong with a marriage anyway if it folds on that account, but then again...a majority of men and women who are into sexual promiscuity and are "playing the field" tend to prey on a married man or woman who display innocence within their character. I believe it's due to sincere innocence being defined as lack of sexual experience by the  man or woman who is out for the count. It is quite often that a shallow person attempting to do no more than getting you into bed for personal satisfaction will "sweet talk" you based on their personal judgment that you are naďve or completely stupied..(one or the other), as opposed to having respect for the confidence you might really have in being a devoted husband or wife...and further more revealing to the sincere person that they do not understand a promise. People who are cheaters are dismissive of anyone in life making a promise to another person. I often arrive to the conclusion that their sexual drive rules over the choice to have true love. I've made this observation over the last 40 years of being in the music business. It's crucial.

Posted By: Walton Street
Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 08:23
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Nothing directly wrong with finding a woman's body attractive. Everything wrong with finding another man's wife attractive if you're acting on it. Sexual promiscuity is not a healthy act and sometimes it breaks up marriages. Although something must be deadly wrong with a marriage anyway if it folds on that account, but then again...a majority of men and women who are into sexual promiscuity and are "playing the field" tend to prey on a married man or woman who display innocence within their character. I believe it's due to sincere innocence being defined as lack of sexual experience by the  man or woman who is out for the count. It is quite often that a shallow person attempting to do no more than getting you into bed for personal satisfaction will "sweet talk" you based on their personal judgment that you are naďve or completely stupied..(one or the other), as opposed to having respect for the confidence you might really have in being a devoted husband or wife...and further more revealing to the sincere person that they do not understand a promise. People who are cheaters are dismissive of anyone in life making a promise to another person. I often arrive to the conclusion that their sexual drive rules over the choice to have true love. I've made this observation over the last 40 years of being in the music business. It's crucial.

waaaay off topic now, but i'd like to add ..

there's 1 right reason for marrying someone.

there's thousands of wrong ones ..
and in my experience I've seen very few people marry for the right reasons.

the others end up on less than solid footing and fall apart with a tiny bit of temptation or trouble.
also - people change. it happens. So even if everything was right, if one person changes or grows and the other doesn't change or grow to match then they are out of sync.

Happy, sane people in great marriages don't cheat.

-------------
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 09:12

A prog band can't even be successful in the prog community.  People's tastes here are so divers even within the genre.  For a prog band to be successful, they have to somehow attract normal music listeners, just like they did in the past.

People used to listen to albums front to back, but now with music listening being programmed into smart phones, it's just a track here and a track there, so the concept album is really in the dumps.  Even a non concept album from the past usually had a specific order to the songs on an album.  It was a very important part of the presentation. 

The same person who fragments their music on the smart phone, will rant about the presentation of their food at some trendy restaurant downtown, and get into a hissy fit on YELP about how the garnishing clashed with the potato swirl that shouldn't have touched the asparagus.  But they won't listen to an album like DSOTM in it's entirety unless it's cued up with two joints and The Wizard of Oz.

How do you know this? Most people I know in real life - as well as the ones on PA - are all about the full kahuna, the whole album.....yet they, and I, use phones, Ipods and MP3 players to play the record when away from the old stereo. 
This is how you experience Tangerine Dream whilst walking around in a forest - or similarly Magma whilst skiing. I know all these portable devices freak (some) oldtimers completely out, and in some instances I get their concern (8-18 year old American Idol fans), but the whole notion of carrying your music with you into nature far outweighs the negative. The negative comes from the person using the device, not the device itself. 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 09:32
^And the 13 year old Chinese kids making the devices under horrible working conditions LOL

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:36
I'd further like to state that the importance of listening to the album as a whole rather than discrete tracks gets a bit overstated on here.  I get the idea in principle and have followed it for most if not all of my favourite albums.  But come on, not every album needs THAT much attention from me.  If halfway through I don't feel sufficiently engaged, I am absolutely entitled to get into 'glance' mode and start speed-listening the album, akin to speed-reading.  And if an album I have assimilated already is kind of uneven and inconsistent, why should I not selectively listen to those tracks that I prefer?  It makes no sense to have to listen to the full album every time, all the time.  That is a treat I would reserve for a select few albums which reward that approach to listening the most.  Most Pink Floyd albums need to be listened to in toto.  Most Gentle Giant albums, not so much.  And it's not even that I like PF all that much more than GG.  They just approach the album format in very different ways.  GG tracks tend to stand alone.  Huge swathes of The Wall don't.  It is a bit indiscriminate to make up a generalised rule for all prog albums by all bands when they don't even necessarily utilise the album format in the same way.

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:44
I listen to music at work all day on an ipod - on shuffle.

there's only a few albums I feel I have to listen to as a whole (Misplaced Childhood is one for sure)
a few others ..

but for the most part I like the variety.

-------------

- SpongeBob Socrates

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: January 28 2015 at 06:02
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

^And the 13 year old Chinese kids making the devices under horrible working conditions LOL
That goes for every electronic device, even His Holyness Turnable Record Player

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: January 28 2015 at 06:04
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

there's only a few albums I feel I have to listen to as a whole (Misplaced Childhood is one for sure)
a few others ..

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 04:51
it ain't never goin' to happen man..

prog can never compare to this man..  I had never heard this song till yesterday.  My friend and I were warming up after working outside and he whips out his smartphone (which I seem to be the ONLY one alive well Raff and I that is.. who doesn't have one) and tells me this will warm me up.  And you know.. after a few minutes.. I was shakin' my ass... and admiring the ..umm.. scenery.  It did the trick.. it sure did warm me up!! LOLLOL

poor Raff... I just heard a groan from the other side of the table hahaha

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 09:33
I have noticed how every rock avant-garde is considered cool these days - except one.  The Velvet Underground: cool.  The Grateful Dead: cool.  Frank Zappa: cool.  Krautrock: cool.  Industrial: cool.  Post-rock: cool.  Tool: cool.  But progressive rock is considered stuff for nerds - uncool.

Apparently, blowing up the radio single format is cool - as long as it is simply inflated.  But once you take changeful dramturgy to it and make multimovement suites, the coolness evaporates like snow on a red-hot boilerplate.

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 09:37

Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

a few others ..

Hell?  been there, done that ..  Ex's face is on the t-shirt :)

-------------

- SpongeBob Socrates

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 09:48

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 11:12

I have noticed how every rock avant-garde is considered cool these days - except one.  The Velvet Underground: cool.  The Grateful Dead: cool.  Frank Zappa: cool.  Krautrock: cool.  Industrial: cool.  Post-rock: cool.  Tool: cool.  But progressive rock is considered stuff for nerds - uncool.

Apparently, blowing up the radio single format is cool - as long as it is simply inflated.  But once you take changeful dramturgy to it and make multimovement suites, the coolness evaporates like snow on a red-hot boilerplate.

I have to disagree, I've never met anyone who thinks something avant-garde is cool but doesn't think that progressive rock is cool. To those in the 'mainstream' crowd, for lack of a better term, anything that isn't generic pop or rock is uncool I presume. Maybe I've just been lucky as far as who I meet, but most of the people I know like metal, prog rock, and the like. Also, I've heard more people who think prog rock is cool then Krautrock, most of the people I know don't even know what it is. Confused

I assume by progressive rock, you're not counting prog metal, because Tool is prog metal. Tongue

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 15:56
Tool certainly aren't prog metal in the sense Dream Theater or Queensr˙che are prog metal.  True, it is called prog metal, but it's a different meaning of the term.

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 18:58

Tool certainly aren't prog metal in the sense Dream Theater or Queensr˙che are prog metal.  True, it is called prog metal, but it's a different meaning of the term.

Progressive music is progressive music, sure there are different ways of being progressive, but as long as you're expanding the boundaries of music and creating a unique and innovative sound you are a progressive band. And of course Tool doesn't sound like Dream Theater, then they wouldn't be progressive. However, even if a band isn't progressive doesn't mean they're bad. 

Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 01:23
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Progressive music is progressive music, sure there are different ways of being progressive, but as long as you're expanding the boundaries of music and creating a unique and innovative sound you are a progressive band. And of course Tool doesn't sound like Dream Theater, then they wouldn't be progressive. However, even if a band isn't progressive doesn't mean they're bad. 

so very trueThumbs Up

Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 05:38

so very trueThumbs Up

It is.  What I see here is a "blackbird problem".  The blackbird is named thus because it is a black bird; that doesn't mean that all black birds are blackbirds.  The same way, there is rock that is progressive, but not part of the tradition called progressive rock.

I didn't say that Tool aren't progressive in any way; I moreover didn't say they are bad.  Maynard James Keenan certainly is a very creative musician; there aren't many who have single-handedly created a new genre.

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 12:09

so very trueThumbs Up

It is.  What I see here is a "blackbird problem".  The blackbird is named thus because it is a black bird; that doesn't mean that all black birds are blackbirds.  The same way, there is rock that is progressive, but not part of the tradition called progressive rock.

I didn't say that Tool aren't progressive in any way; I moreover didn't say they are bad.  Maynard James Keenan certainly is a very creative musician; there aren't many who have single-handedly created a new genre.

I see where you are coming from, I guess we have different meanings of the word progressive. I honestly don't use 'progressive' as a genre, I use it as an adjective to describe rock or metal bands that create something new and fresh. Due to this there are a lot of bands on this site that I don't call progressive, and a lot of bands that aren't on here that I do call progressive. Bands like Haken, and some neo-prog bands, I don't call progressive because they aren't doing anything new. Yes, they are copying the works of previous progressive artists, but that makes them not progressive.

Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 14:47

I see where you are coming from, I guess we have different meanings of the word progressive. I honestly don't use 'progressive' as a genre, I use it as an adjective to describe rock or metal bands that create something new and fresh. Due to this there are a lot of bands on this site that I don't call progressive, and a lot of bands that aren't on here that I do call progressive. Bands like Haken, and some neo-prog bands, I don't call progressive because they aren't doing anything new. Yes, they are copying the works of previous progressive artists, but that makes them not progressive.

Yes, that is precisely the point!  Indeed, there are many bands within the tradition of progressive rock that don't do much new, and therefore aren't literally "progressive" - kind of like albino blackbirds which aren't black (I don't know whether albinism actually occurs among blackbirds, but for the point ...) but nevertheless blackbirds.  And there are many innovative bands outside the progressive rock tradition.

Me, I find the genre definition useful because it functions as a tag which tells something about a band's music and has some predictive power about whether I will like the music, and find the two meanings of "progressive rock" we are wrestling with here unhelpful.

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 14:52

Yes, that is precisely the point!  Indeed, there are many bands within the tradition of progressive rock that don't do much new, and therefore aren't literally "progressive" - kind of like albino blackbirds which aren't black (I don't know whether albinism actually occurs among blackbirds, but for the point ...) but nevertheless blackbirds.  And there are many innovative bands outside the progressive rock tradition.

Me, I find the genre definition useful because it functions as a tag which tells something about a band's music and has some predictive power about whether I will like the music, and find the two meanings of "progressive rock" we are wrestling with here unhelpful.

Yup, genres can work for and against the listener. Good to see we're on the same page now Smile

Date Posted: January 31 2015 at 05:28
''Prog'' is about a sound and style that is recognisable
''Progressive'' is more about an attitude to create and not copy

neither definition can presuppose that what is being presented is either good or bad.

Date Posted: January 31 2015 at 12:48

''Prog'' is about a sound and style that is recognisable
''Progressive'' is more about an attitude to create and not copy

neither definition can presuppose that what is being presented is either good or bad.

Right!

-------------

Date Posted: January 31 2015 at 12:58

so very trueThumbs Up

That makes them not original.

Date Posted: January 31 2015 at 13:13
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Yep!  There are plenty of synonyms (or near-synonyms) for progressive - original, innovative, avant-garde and even the much maligned New School - there is no need to create terminological confusion by using the term progressive rock in ways that have little or nothing to do with what it has been meaning for almost half a century by now: a certain current in rock music that was born in late 1960s England, and has continued until today.  This meaning is the established one, no matter what other kinds of rock music could be called "progressive".

However, I have to admit that it is perhaps a poor choice of a genre term.  A genre term always implies that later bands that continue the style without doing anything really new will be covered by it, too.  And that makes the choice of progressive as a genre label somewhat problematic.  Yet, it is established by now.

And, as I argued previously, the "progressiveness" of progressive rock was, in original at least, threefold - musical, socio-cultural and to a lesser extent, technological.  Read Stump, Macan and Martin.

-------------

Date Posted: January 31 2015 at 13:28
Gotta love how 50% of all discussions wind up in the ol prog vs progressive

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 31 2015 at 14:10

(...) a certain current in rock music that was born in late 1960s England, and has continued until today.  (...)

Nope. It was born in America.

Date Posted: January 31 2015 at 14:19

Gotta love how 50% of all discussions wind up in the ol prog vs progressive

it is the blood and semen of the site man... 

it beats the 100th version of.. Yes v. Genesis polls.

-------------

Date Posted: January 31 2015 at 14:20

Prog and Progressive mean the same thing, 'prog' is just an abbreviation of Progressive.

Date Posted: January 31 2015 at 14:25

Prog and Progressive mean the same thing, 'prog' is just an abbreviation of Progressive.
Nope. Prog and Progressive rock mean the same thing.

Date Posted: January 31 2015 at 14:32

a great many, including myself, disagree strongly.  Smile 

No one is going to stop you from thinking what you do. A good many see it this way. Prog is a noun.. it is a musical genre..  progressive rock is an adjective man.  It is the scene today.. is was the scene way back in the day before the genreifiction (© Micky 2007) of the music and also when the labels and reviewers went slap happy with genres and tags and started breaking up music (and listeners) into nice easy to define (and thus market TO) niches.

Look at it one big circle man

progressive rock....

became Prog Rock..

and the circle is closing again today as band make music that rebels against the cliched sounds and stylistic norms of prog rock.. yet is undeniably progressive rock.. just like those cats were doing in 1970.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk