Forum Description: Blogs, Editorials, Original articles posted by members
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101036
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 22:48
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Story Of Eddy Marron
Posted By: presdoug
Subject: The Story Of Eddy Marron
Date Posted: January 18 2015 at 18:48
         The following is an article penned by me about multi-instrumentalist/vocalist the late Eddy Marron. Please feel free to make comments or add additional information.

Eddy Marron was born on June 24th, 1938 in Anklam, Mecklenburg, Germany. In 1952, he came to Stuttgart in the Federal Republic Of Germany, and he began playing guitar at 17, playing dance music with various groups. In 1964, Marron was an official musician at the Winter Olympic Games at Innsbruck, Austria. From 1965 to 1968, he studied concert guitar at the Heidelberg Academy Of Music. Marron also studied classical guitar at the University of Music at Mannheim. 
                     For the following three years, he was the electric bass player in the Jochen Brauer Sextet. In 1971, he founded his own school of music, and two years later founded the "Jazz Workshop" in Darmstadt.
                    In 1971, Eddy Marron also formed a progressive group called "Vita Nova", along with Sylvester Levay on keyboards, and Christian von Hoffmann on drums, Hoffmann and Levay being from the Ambros Seelos Band. The band released one, self-titled, studio album that year.
                     In 1972, Marron joined the jazz-rock/krautrock group "Dzyan", and along with members Peter Giger on drums and percussion, and Reinhard Karwatky on bass and keyboards, recorded two studio records on the Bellaphon Record label, "Time Machine" in 1973, and "Electric Silence" in 1974. As well as guitar, he experiments with a Turkish zaz, and on Electric Silence, also a sitar. At the time, the records recieved good reviews in the "Jazzpodium". (In 2010, an archival Dzyan recording with Marron was released on Compact Disc and lp called "Mandala", originally recorded as a "SWF Session" in 1972)
                            Mr. Marron was also involved as a guitarist for German jazz-rock group "Missus Beastly", and was recorded on a live album of theirs called "Bremen 1974".
                                In 1975, he was in Hans Koller's group "Free Sound", along with Jurgen Wuchner and Janusz Stefanski, from which the lp "For Marcel Duchamp" appeared on MPS.
                                Between 1976 and 1978, Marron appeared as a trio member with former Dzyan drummer Peter Giger, and bass player Gunter Lenz, dubbed "Giger Lenz Marron", releasing two studio albums "Beyond" and "Where The Hammer Hangs", produced on the Nagara label founded by Giger. These albums also featured percussionist Trilok Gurtu. In 1976, Marron moved to Arnhem, The Netherlands, where he founded his own trio, and taught jazz guitar as a Professor at the Music Academy Of Amsterdam. He also lectured at the Royal Conservatory in the Hague, and from 1981, taught jazz guitar at the Hochschule fur Musik Koln.
                          In 1980, Eddy Marron recorded a solo album on the Nagara label called "Por Marco", with a somewhat lighter jazz and ethnic feel.
                      In 1990, Prof. Eddy Marron published a music workbook called "The Rhythmic Teaching". Professor Marron later retired from his University teaching.
                       It came to my attention just recently, that he died on February 6th, 2013.
                I would like to dedicate this modest article to the life and music of Eddy Marron.

Replies:
Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: January 18 2015 at 22:44
Great post, Doug. I'll def check Eddy out one of these coming days. 
RIP.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Rivertree
Date Posted: January 19 2015 at 03:51
thanks for this short bio, presdoug, interesting read. Smile
it's a heavy loss, his contributions to Dzyan, Missus Beastly and Vita Nova were exceptional ...

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Rivertree" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: January 19 2015 at 18:13
Eddy Marron is at far left.

Posted By: Rivertree
Date Posted: January 20 2015 at 02:35
^including some typo Tongue

it must be "Besetzung", analogously translated "new line up"

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Rivertree" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: January 20 2015 at 03:16
The guitar on the Vita Nova's album is stunning. Thumbs Up

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: January 20 2015 at 05:32
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

The guitar on the Vita Nova's album is stunning. Thumbs Up
It is a stunning album Pierre!

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: January 20 2015 at 06:44
I agree, Jimi. 

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: January 20 2015 at 09:17

Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 20:34
I have just heard for the first time the album "For Marcel Duchamp" by Hans Koller's "Free Sound" group featuring Eddy, and it is a brilliant, overlooked recording. Some free jazz guitar stylings and also an ethnic side to it  with a Turkish zaz used. Marron is an important and very well played musical element in this album.

Date Posted: May 15 2016 at 14:20
The Master

Date Posted: May 16 2016 at 13:51
Eddy Marron in Dzyan, far right

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 16 2016 at 15:00
Ed Ugly !! I love the Vita Nova album.
Also, I've been trying to track down any Dzyan LP but no luck.
I wasn't aware he was so prolific and accomplished. Thanks for sharing the info, Presdoug.

Date Posted: June 08 2016 at 06:22

Date Posted: June 08 2016 at 06:23

Date Posted: June 23 2016 at 18:26
In honour and remembrance of Eddy Marron, who would have turned 78 this June 24th. RIP.

Date Posted: November 25 2016 at 20:04

Date Posted: October 07 2017 at 12:32
Here is a brief analysis of Eddy Marron's solo album, Por Marco, that I wrote.

This solo album of the late Eddy Marron's would probably be deemed a bit light for most prog fans, dealing in a somewhat light and ethnic jazz feel,but should not be overlooked by them. And Marron's previous prog credentials (Vita Nova, Dzyan, Missus Beastly, Giger Lenz Marron) are pretty impressive ones.

In listening to Por Marco, I am continually amazed by the amazing versatility and capability of this musician. It is so uplifting and captivating upon every listen. Most of the music is instrumental with guitar played by Marron. Below is a short, brief, track by track look at the music in Por Marco.

1) De Vinder 2:21-An engaging start to things, with a composition with a great forward momentum, and exquisite playing therein.

2) Follow Me 4:44-This starts off in a slower tempo, with some playing that builds and progresses, absorbing and captivating in it's lyrical beauty.

3) Honky Tonk 3:53-The title says it all! Real traveling music.

4) Easter Monday Ballad 4:39-a probing and mysterious composition.

5) Dance In Springtime 2:15-Reminds one of a sunny day in spring, with some simply lovely guitar phrasing.

6) Song For John 5:10-This song has some latin flavor to it, and brilliant, lightning quick playing by Marron.

7) Los Bachos 5:34-The start to this is slower, and meandering in an almost mournful way; but develops into quite an elaborate and well constructed piece. Like a flower unfolding.

8) Por Marco 3:30-Bright and lively, with some infectious and very intricate playing, and some vocalising, as well.

9) A Thing Of Beauty 4:58-Like it's title, breathtakingly beautiful, and like being on a sunswept desert island; the playing is quite remarkable.

10) Les-Piece 2:13-A short, but lively and upbeat piece that really moves, containing some impressive guitar phrasing.

11) Three On NIne 4:38-Eddy Marron incorporates a Turkish zaz in this, the final track, which has a kind of oriental flavor to it, and a unique and interesting way to end things.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk