Forum Description: Discuss any topic at all that is not music-related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101070
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 19:54
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Motorsport Thread 2015
Posted By: MillsLayne
Subject: The Motorsport Thread 2015
Date Posted: January 22 2015 at 16:33
May as well make a new thread since the new season for most of our beloved series will be getting underway in the next month or so, with news coming out almost daily at this point.  New F1/NASCAR/Indy car/livery reveals, who's driving for who, and whatever else happens.

Sad to say, I have to start this with the announcement of Jeff Gordon's 2015 campaign being his final full season. Not really retiring yet, but no championship hopes after 2015. CryCryCry

-------------
http://gamercards.exophase.com/xbox/user/MillsLayne/" rel="nofollow">

ht

Replies:
Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 22 2015 at 16:47
Gentleman, start your engines! Wink

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 22 2015 at 17:12
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

May as well make a new thread since the new season for most of our beloved series will be getting underway in the next month or so, with news coming out almost daily at this point.  New F1/NASCAR/Indy car/livery reveals, who's driving for who, and whatever else happens.

Sad to say, I have to start this with the announcement of Jeff Gordon's 2015 campaign being his final full season. Not really retiring yet, but no championship hopes after 2015. CryCryCry

Wow! That's quite a surprise. I would've seen him go for another 5 years at least.

Well...he's done great. Four championships under the much more definitive system IMO. Shame to see him go...but all things change.

He'll make a great analyst for a TV network if he wants to go that route.  

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: January 22 2015 at 17:19
^I'm trying not to think to much on this, as Gordon was robbed of the championship last year due to some idiot!Angry

-------------

Date Posted: January 22 2015 at 18:01
I see him taking a huge management role of some sort for HMS after his retirement.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: January 22 2015 at 18:43
^ Also a good idea.

He won't be bored after retirement, that's fror sure.

-------------

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: January 23 2015 at 06:14
He's a co-owner of Hendrick and literally ownes Johnsons car so it wouldn't be a surprise to see him maintain his involvment with the team. Considering how well he drove last it's a bit of a surprise, you'd think he was up forstaying around a few more years.

Monte Carlo Rally started yesterday, Sebastian Loeb is making a one off return to the championship with Citreon and was 22s faster than everybody else on stage 1 yesterday!LOL Ended the day with a 17.5s lead over Ogier, not bad for a part timer!

And it's the Daytona 24 this weekend, Michael Shank Racing took poll with their new Ligier HPD and the Deltawing is up there in the top 5 as well.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 16:45
I knew the Daytona 24 was soonish...

*checks tv* not on til 8 and only goes to 10 I see...sigh...

-------------

Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 18:10
Try imsa.tv for live streaming.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 01:23
^ Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 18:08
A few more of the 2015 cars have been revealed.  Since Ferrari's new car doesn't look too terribly different, I won't post it in here, but here at least, are both the new McLaren and Sauber.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 18:20
And here is the Williams' FW37:

-------------

ht

Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 19:24
I was going to wait until Sunday when testing kicks off to post all 9 together, even if Force India are going to miss the first test as their new car isn't ready yet.

The Ferrari looks fairly similar to last years car but actually it's already got a lot of detail changes to and a very different packaging to the rear end. I'm so glad the Sauber is blue, I was afraid we'd have half the field in a gre/silver combo with Merc, FI and McLaren already like that.

-------------

Date Posted: January 31 2015 at 17:08

A few more of the 2015 cars have been revealed.  Since Ferrari's new car doesn't look too terribly different, I won't post it in here, but here at least, are both the new McLaren and Sauber.

That blue is gorgeous.

-------------

Date Posted: January 31 2015 at 18:27
^I'm glad I'm not the only that thinks so, you wouldnt believe the amount of flack it's received on motorsport forums for some reason. One thing people have noticed though is that the shades of blue and yellow used are an exact match for the Ikea logo!

Indycar season opener in Brasilia has been canceled by the local government sighting costs, despite the fact that the majority of the renovation is complete, 2/3rds of the tickets and all of the hospitality have been sold. Stupid politicians.

Mike Conway wont be back as he's got a full time drive with Toyota in the WEC this year, partnering Alex Wurz and Stephan Sarrazin in the #2 car, and has been replaced by Luca Filipi to share with Ed Carpenter. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 31 2015 at 21:28
I like the Sauber, too.  There were too many neutral-colored cars on track the last couple of years.  Made it very dull.  I do wish that the McLaren would've had the red trim go all the way to the back.  It still feels incomplete.  The logos on the pods are a nice touch, though.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: January 31 2015 at 22:52
I do indeed find that hard to believe. I see he Ikea resemblance, but still...that blue strikes deep.

Shame about Indycar...that series certainly doesn't need less races in a year.

-------------

Date Posted: February 01 2015 at 05:48
I think with McLaren it seems that that's just going to be a testing livery and they have something else in mind for the races. People noticed that their trucks showed up in Spain with zero branding on them, very un-McLaren, and that there's a big space on the driver helmets where you'd expect a spnsor logo to be. The rumour seems to be that they're trying to finalise a title sponsorship deal before the start of the season.

As for Indycar, I gather they're trying to sort out a replacement race, St Pete's becoming a double header is one suggstion I've heard and apparently COTA has been contacted as well.

-------------

Date Posted: February 01 2015 at 16:54
As entertaining as the Brazil race has been, I'm not too distraught over this.  Honestly, IndyCar needs to focus on regaining it's fan base in the States before trying to branch out to the international audiences.  They aren't F1.  Less expense for the teams, too.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: February 02 2015 at 07:44
This is the most batsh*t crazy car I've ever seen, Nissan's new GTR LMP1. 3ltr V6 twin turbo (I think based off of Cosworths unraced F1 design) in the front driving the front wheels, rear tyres that are narrower than the fronts and with the energy recovery systems that delivers power to all 4 wheels it has 1250hp! You should see pictures from the back, you can see through almost the whole car around the cockpit.

EDIT: To hell with it, here's a rear pic.

-------------

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: February 02 2015 at 19:27
sh*t! I thought the 24 was in Feb...I always miss this race now LOLCry
Congrats to the winners! Quite an interesting lineup: tony kanaan! Jamie McMurray and Scott Dixon? I'm not even sure who Kyle Larson is, but yeah congrats guys! 

Date Posted: February 02 2015 at 21:14
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

sh*t! I thought the 24 was in Feb...I always miss this race now LOLCry
Congrats to the winners! Quite an interesting lineup: tony kanaan! Jamie McMurray and Scott Dixon? I'm not even sure who Kyle Larson is, but yeah congrats guys! 

Along with Chase Elliott (Bill Elliott's son and Jeff Gordon's future replacement), the future of NASCAR.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: February 02 2015 at 21:29
Well my feels on NASCAR are widely understood. Though it would be cool to see an Elliot back. 
God I STILL hurt from what happened to him in 2003...

Date Posted: February 02 2015 at 23:09
A rough way to end his full time career.  The guy is still a legend, though.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: February 04 2015 at 15:27
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

This is the most batsh*t crazy car I've ever seen, Nissan's new GTR LMP1. 3ltr V6 twin turbo (I think based off of Cosworths unraced F1 design) in the front driving the front wheels, rear tyres that are narrower than the fronts and with the energy recovery systems that delivers power to all 4 wheels it has 1250hp! You should see pictures from the back, you can see through almost the whole car around the cockpit.

EDIT: To hell with it, here's a rear pic.

I haven't scene a car this bizarre since the old Panoz LMP1 roadsters. Those cars were f*****k awesome and as loud as hell. I miss those cars terribly.
JJ got to hear them up close at full chat. I'm so jealous!

Date Posted: February 10 2015 at 00:35
Daniel Ricciardo, who shocked us all with his owning of Vettel forcing him to run from the team...just set the fastest, and amazingly fast, time on the Top Gear track besting Lewis.

We have a new Australian heroLOL Webber has been resurrected! Daniel lacks the chin of supreme manliness, but is probably a ton faster. 

Date Posted: February 10 2015 at 06:00
^I lovedhis response to the question "What does the back of Lewis car look like?"!LOL

-------------

Date Posted: February 11 2015 at 13:32
Ha! That was brilliant. 
I only hope RBR can take the fight to Merc, last year was perhaps the most exciting I've seen in the decade+ I've been watching F1.... would be epic to have another team mixed in there for the title fight! 

Date Posted: February 14 2015 at 16:52
NASCAR season starts tonight with whatever they are calling the pre-Daytona non-points race now.

Good to see the new motor sports year starting to ratchet up. Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 17:48
The Sprint Unlimited last night wasn't too bad, and it seemed like passing wasn't completely impossible if the drivers really wanted to make some moves.  Let's just hope Greg Biffle isn't in 2nd place coming to white flag for the 500, or else the finish is screwed. LOL

And in an odd day of new-format qualifying to determine the front row for the 500, along with the starting lineups for the Duels on Thursday, Jeff Gordon grabbed P1 with teammate Jimmie Johnson on the outside in P2.  Clint Bowyer and some others trashed the decision to use the new format for the Daytona 500, seeing as how it's the one race all year that's set differently with the Duels in place. 

-------------

ht

Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 19:02
^ Indeed...let's have Biff be first!! Big smile

And yeah...didn't understand the new format myself unless they get rid of the duels of course. But so it goes really. Looking forward to the 500.

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2015 at 18:16
Bad day to be a Busch.  Kurt's appeal on his indefinite suspension stemming from an incident last fall with ex-girlfriend was denied, so his career is looking like it's pretty much done at this point.  And I don't condone violence and especially not domestic violence, but he seems to be getting screwed pretty bad on this deal.  The judge did rule in favor of his ex for a restraining order a few weeks ago, but he's not been charged with anything and it doesn't sound like he will, yet his career is over.  I'm sure the hell the NFL went through last year didn't help matters, but still, it doesn't seem right.

And then Kyle Busch probably broke his leg in a violent impact with about 10 to go in the Xfinity (formerly Nationwide, formerly the Busch Grand National LOL) race at Daytona today when he found another wall on the inside of the track with no safer barrier and hit it head on.  He got out of the car, but then went straight to the ground where he was taken away on a stretcher and take to a local hospital.  So, more than likely, he won't be in the Daytona 500 tomorrow.  Cry

-------------

ht

Date Posted: February 21 2015 at 19:09
^ Yeah...the Kurt Busch thing is ridiculous...and totally driven by the Ray Rice thing IMO.
And yikes! Crazy that they still have non safer-barriered walls in the upper echelons of Nascar.  Shame...I thought he would have had a good chance to win the championship this year.

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2015 at 21:17
Yep, he's likely out for months with a compound fracture.  Oi, and I thought this would be a very good year for him.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: February 22 2015 at 16:36
Joey Logano wins the Daytona 500 with Kevin Harvick 2nd and Dale Jr. in 3rd.  Jeff Gordon was wrecked on the last lap by Austin Dillon and finished 33rd after leading a race high 87 laps.  Kind of a bummer to have his last Daytona 500 end that way, but at least he was strong most of the race.  Should be a good year for him.  I just need Kyle to heal and get back in the car now!

-------------

ht

Date Posted: February 22 2015 at 16:49
A feel good win for sure in my mind. Thumbs Up Great racing there at the end as well.

I didn't care for all the prerace stuff so, any timetable for Kyle to return??

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2015 at 16:58
Not sure yet.  It depends on how his leg heals and then the doctors sound like they're waiting on doing anything with his broken foot, too.  My guess?  4-6 months, from what I've read.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: February 22 2015 at 18:24
Heafty crash in testing for Alonso today, lost the car on the exit of Barcelona's fast turn 3 and hit the inside wall. He's got concussion and will stay in hospital overnight though it's not thought to be serious.

Pretty much sums up a frustrating week for McLaren.

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2015 at 19:16

Not sure yet.  It depends on how his leg heals and then the doctors sound like they're waiting on doing anything with his broken foot, too.  My guess?  4-6 months, from what I've read.

Might as well take the season off if it is indeed 6 months.

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2015 at 19:17

Heafty crash in testing for Alonso today, lost the car on the exit of Barcelona's fast turn 3 and hit the inside wall. He's got concussion and will stay in hospital overnight though it's not thought to be serious.

Yikes!

When does F1 kick off this year?

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2015 at 20:33

I had hopes that McLaren could make this a better year than last, but they're certainly off to a bad start with all the testing woes.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 06:53
Yeah, its thought that the car will be very quick, probably right behind Merc, once they get it sorted but they're struggling to get through a bunch of niggling little problems at the moment which is curtailing their running.

Looks like Marussia will be back this year as Manor GP, they officially left administration on the 19th, Ferrari have said they have an agreement to supply 2014 spec engines for the year and the team are booked in for crash testing, no doubt to get a new nose that conforms to this years regulations passed that they can then bolt onto last years cars. They'll be dead slow, but if it means they can get themselves set up for next year nicely then I'm all for it. It's thought that Justin King, the former boss of the Sainsburys supermarket chain who at one point last year was considered as a replacement for Bernie,  is one of the main investors. His sone Jordan is the 2013 British F3 champ and is racing in GP2 this year so could be a future driver.

-------------

Date Posted: February 24 2015 at 23:57
^Glad to see Marussia will be back in some form, if only to help fill out the grid.

Kyle Busch's subs for his Cup and Xfinity (formerly Nationwide) rides were named today.  David Ragan will fill in in the 18 Cup car and Eric Jones will be in the 54 in the Xfinity series.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 00:26
Nice.

I've always like David Ragan for some reason. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 00:33
Manor GP, interesting name!

Yes, a bit nervous for Alonso, we know McLaren and their famed inconsistency, hoping he finds em on an upswing! 

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 05:45
Technically the team has always been John Booth's Manor GP but they've had to use the sponsors/investers name for the team name, hence Virgin and then Marussia, they're a team with quite a pedigree in the junior ranks with multiple British Formula Renault and F3 titles (Lewis Hamilton won the 2003 FRenault title with them for instance).

-------------

Date Posted: February 26 2015 at 23:27
Ah well there ya go!

Date Posted: February 27 2015 at 11:40
Manor Marussia's (Marussia name kept so that they can get last yearsprize money, no remaining links to former Russian owners though) entry has been confirmed by the FIA today, with Will Stevens, who raced for Caterham in Abu Dhabi last year and arguably did a better job against Kobayashi than Ericsson did all year, taking one of the seats and It's been confirmed they intend to use an updated 2014 car to start with and then bring in an all new car mid season. Speculation has linked Kevin Magnussen to the second seat, kind of strengthening the rumors that McLaren might be behind their resurgance and intend to use them as a B team from 2016 onwards.  

-------------

Date Posted: February 27 2015 at 21:02
NASCAR is really trying to piss fans and drivers off lately, it seems.  Today for Cup qualifying, 13 drivers weren't able to take to the track because they were held up in tech inspections.  Some cars ahead of them had to go through multiple times before they were cleared.  Some of the drivers included are Jeff Gordon (starts 35th), Matt Kenseth (36th), Jimmie Johnson (37th), Regan Smith (in for Kurt Busch, 38th), and Tony Stewart (39th). 

Hopefully, they can figure something out to not allow this to happen again.  That's just, quoting Jeff Gordon, "embarrassing."

-------------

ht

Date Posted: March 03 2015 at 14:40
It's been confirmed that Alonso will miss the season opener due to his testing crash. He's pretty much fine but the doctors have advised against it due to the risk of double impact syndrome if he has another head injury. Magnussen will take over.

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2015 at 17:48

It's been confirmed that Alonso will miss the season opener due to his testing crash. He's pretty much fine but the doctors have advised against it due to the risk of double impact syndrome if he has another head injury. Magnussen will take over.

Oh dang. 

Also bit of a shame Kevin got dropped for Alonso, I know it was the "right" move based on results, but I really do see him as having the higher upside, and longer career of course, than Button.

Cool to see Sainz Jr (I remember liking his dad back in Rally) coming to F1 and Max Verstappen who will be 17 years old!?!? My god. This thought literally confounds me, I would've been driving my Saturn on the local roads of town for just a year by then and he's in F1LOL
Hope to see Carlos Munoz make it to F1 within the next few years, and maybe Conor Daly if he finds any success in GP2

Date Posted: March 04 2015 at 05:53
I remember watching the 97 season final where Schumacher hit Viellneuve and bounced off into the gravel. Verstappen was born a week later! Trackside observers during the winter have said he's the real deal and has looked very impressive in testing.

Speaking of Schumacher, his son Mick his making the step up to car racing this year in German F4.

I think Munoz has the talent but I doubt he'll get the oppotunity, I see long Indycar career instead. Daly isn't good enough for F1 IMO, though not a bad driver but he'd be like Max Chilton, I gather he's after Indycar these days though. Alex Rossi is the American still over her in Europe, racing in GP2 again this year.

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2015 at 09:06

Oh dang. 

Also bit of a shame Kevin got dropped for Alonso, I know it was the "right" move based on results, but I really do see him as having the higher upside, and longer career of course, than Button.

Cool to see Sainz Jr (I remember liking his dad back in Rally) coming to F1 and Max Verstappen who will be 17 years old!?!? My god. This thought literally confounds me, I would've been driving my Saturn on the local roads of town for just a year by then and he's in F1LOL
Hope to see Carlos Munoz make it to F1 within the next few years, and maybe Conor Daly if he finds any success in GP2
If Alonso is not up to Mags performance after that first race, that will look awfully strange! Shocked

Date Posted: March 04 2015 at 11:22
I don't think there's any worry about that, Alonso is pretty much fine now it's the risk of double impact syndrome, where a second head injury so soon after the first can be very dangerous.

-------------

Date Posted: March 06 2015 at 10:29
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Oh dang. 

If Alonso is not up to Mags performance after that first race, that will look awfully strange! Shocked

Well I have 0 concern for Alonso skill wise, I still think he's a top 3, but this head trauma issue is what's concerning. Seems like it'll be OK, though it sucks he's already in the hole one race. 

Date Posted: March 06 2015 at 10:40
^I will yield to your expertise and put away my concerns.  Alonso being starting off one race in the hole is a bummer.

It's also sad not to see Mags on the grid, but perhaps next year.

-------------

Date Posted: March 06 2015 at 14:44
I hope you mean Sleeper, he is the expert! 
Are you a fan? Alonso is neutral to disliked in this thread, I'm the only person that likes him hereLOL
I think he's a top tier driver, up there with the best, and I still lament he's spent a few years in lackluster cars, and is still a collective handful of points away from being a 5 time champ, but I guess that's always the case with "what if" 

It is a shame with Magnussen he really impressed. Still say, cold as it would've been, Button should've gotten the thank you for your time card, but Kevin is young so plenty of time you're right. Guess it happens, I really was a fan of Di Resta and Hulkenberg but neither got top rides, or in Di Resta's case any ride!
Oh and yeah, Max Verstappen 17 years old?? My god I was still nervous to drive the highway at that age!

Date Posted: March 06 2015 at 16:41
I'm a fan of Alonso's as well, he will without doubt go down as one of the all time greats. People talk about drivers not being able to make a difference these days but when you look at it it's very rare for the best car not to win the championship, 95 might have been the last time and even then it's one of only a handful of times, yet Alonso came within 3 points of winning the 2012 title in a car that could only be considered 3rd best at a stretch, I think for his performance that year alone I'll be a fan for the rest of his career.

-------------

Date Posted: March 06 2015 at 18:35
Oh I had no idea, my face is red now Embarrassed
Yeah I agree fully, it's damn tough to really separate caliber of car from success, and you took the words out of my mouth, that 2012 year was a thing of wonder.  Also '07 fell short by 1 point and '10 was really a bit of a scandal that it fell apart at the end. 

Funny, years ago I think I was ranting how I thought Alonso would be a 5 time champion for sure and all that...I was just being a crazed fan but how close I came! 
I know I've told the story, when I started watching in 2003 all I knew is I disliked Schumacher (though that ended up changing) so I just latched onto the first names that jumped at me, which were Kimi and Alonso. 05-07 was a great stretchLOL OH! Also JJ wont the 2004 ALMS title so 04-07 was a pretty glorious run. 

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: March 06 2015 at 19:34
i am excite

Date Posted: March 09 2015 at 17:41

I hope you mean Sleeper, he is the expert! 
Are you a fan? Alonso is neutral to disliked in this thread, I'm the only person that likes him hereLOL
I think he's a top tier driver, up there with the best, and I still lament he's spent a few years in lackluster cars, and is still a collective handful of points away from being a 5 time champ, but I guess that's always the case with "what if" 

It is a shame with Magnussen he really impressed. Still say, cold as it would've been, Button should've gotten the thank you for your time card, but Kevin is young so plenty of time you're right. Guess it happens, I really was a fan of Di Resta and Hulkenberg but neither got top rides, or in Di Resta's case any ride!
Oh and yeah, Max Verstappen 17 years old?? My god I was still nervous to drive the highway at that age!

Alonso really impressed me in 2014. He just put his head down and drove for every point like it was for a win, in a car that was absolute crap. I have nothing but respect for him and I  hope the McLaren is up to the challenge this year.

Date Posted: March 10 2015 at 02:17
Yeah it's a shame he has "only" 2 titles because I think he's one of the top 3 drivers of his time with Schumi and Kimi.  
Having my fav driver going to Ferrari was like a dream but it ended up a nightmare LOL How badly he outdid Kimi really impressed me in addition. 

Date Posted: March 10 2015 at 10:09
^That too. I know that some drivers just don't click with certain cars like Vettel with RB last year, so I'm a bit leery of knocking their performance. But Kimi never seemed to have one good day with the Ferrari and that says a lot.

-------------

Date Posted: March 12 2015 at 08:03
So, we've had our first major controversy of the year. Seems Sauber had originally signed Geido va der Garde to partner Jules Bianchi for this year, van der Garde brings lots of cash, and paid up front as part of being their test driver last year while Bianchi brought heavily subsidesed engines from Ferrari. Bianchi's accident forced a reworking of the plan, with Marcus Ericsson and Felipe Nasr both being signed up to race and bringing more money than van der Garde does, and also paying some of it upfront which got them through the winter.

As you'd expect, van der Garde was rather pissed as he had a valid race contract and had payed a lot of money up front for the privalige of driving for them (some reports put it as much as $24 million) so when the contract was broken he took them to arbitration in Switzerland and last Monday they sided with him and ordered Sauber to put him back in a race seat. Sauber ignored the ruling so he's taken them to court in Australia where the Supreme Court in Victoria State also upheld the arbitration ruling on Tuesday and this morning an appeal from Sauber, largely based on the incredibly disingenuous position that it would be dangerous to put him in the car, has been thrown out. As it stand Sauber now has 3 drivers signed for 2 cars, not sure how that one's going to work out but the fallout wont be pretty might even force the team under.

Sutil also had a valid contract for this year but apparentley a few things weren't met on his side so he's only suing for damages and not pushing to be reinstated in the race team since he's not in such a strong legal position.

I have a lot of sympathy for Sauber's financial plight as BMW left them in trouble and the commercial climate makes it damned difficult to get any kind of money but this is pretty much fraud and a terrible mess of their own making. I also detest the amaeturish way they've gone about this, their lawyer seemed to know nothing about F1, like what day of the week practice starts on, and Kaltenborne has treated everybody like idiots.

-------------

Date Posted: March 12 2015 at 09:11
^Who's Sauber? Just kidding. Thanks for the great update.

-------------

Date Posted: March 13 2015 at 06:58
PRACTICE TWO TIMES:
PosDriverCarTimeGapLaps
1Nico RosbergMercedes1m27.697s-29
2Lewis HamiltonMercedes1m27.797s0.100s25
3Sebastian VettelFerrari1m28.412s0.715s33
4Kimi RaikkonenFerrari1m28.842s1.145s33
5Valtteri BottasWilliams/Mercedes1m29.265s1.568s32
6Daniil KvyatRed Bull/Renault1m30.016s2.319s27
7Carlos Sainz Jr.Toro Rosso/Renault1m30.071s2.374s41
8Pastor MaldonadoLotus/Mercedes1m30.104s2.407s11
9Romain GrosjeanLotus/Mercedes1m30.205s2.508s37
10Nico HulkenbergForce India/Mercedes1m30.473s2.776s30
11Felipe NasrSauber/Ferrari1m30.755s3.058s33
12Sergio PerezForce India/Mercedes1m30.980s3.283s32
13Jenson ButtonMcLaren/Honda1m31.387s3.690s21
14Max VerstappenToro Rosso/Renault1m31.395s3.698s6
15Marcus EricssonSauber/Ferrari1m32.303s4.606s14
16Kevin MagnussenMcLaren/Honda1m33.289s5.592s4

Ricciardo had an engine change and Massa a water leak so neither ran in the second session, and Manor are still trying to finish their cars. I understand Van der Garde started contempt of court proceedings against Sauber yesterday but it was adjourned until Saturday morning but it looked like they were actually making progress in communicating with each other to sort out this mess.

-------------

Date Posted: March 14 2015 at 09:11
Qualy results, Mercedes look even more dominant this year than last. Honda are running their engines detuned due to reliability concerns, they are veryslow down the straights which is why they're on the back row. Red Bull are not looking good, Ricciardo really had to pull that lap out of the bag and he's only a tenth quicker than Sainz in the Torro Rosso, which looks like it might be a better car! Ferrari and Williams in a massive scrap for 3rd that looks interesting but it seems Bottas hurt his back in that last lap, we'll see if he starts tomorrow.

PosDriverCarTimeGap
1Lewis HamiltonMercedes1m26.327s-
2Nico RosbergMercedes1m26.921s0.594s
3Felipe MassaWilliams/Mercedes1m27.718s1.391s
4Sebastian VettelFerrari1m27.757s1.430s
5Kimi RaikkonenFerrari1m27.790s1.463s
6Valtteri BottasWilliams/Mercedes1m28.087s1.760s
7Daniel RicciardoRed Bull/Renault1m28.329s2.002s
8Carlos Sainz Jr.Toro Rosso/Renault1m28.510s2.183s
9Romain GrosjeanLotus/Mercedes1m28.560s2.233s
10Pastor MaldonadoLotus/Mercedes1m29.480s3.153s
11Felipe NasrSauber/Ferrari1m28.800s-
12Max VerstappenToro Rosso/Renault1m28.868s-
13Daniil KvyatRed Bull/Renault1m29.070s-
14Nico HulkenbergForce India/Mercedes1m29.208s-
15Sergio PerezForce India/Mercedes1m29.209s-
16Marcus EricssonSauber/Ferrari1m31.376s-
17Jenson ButtonMcLaren/Honda1m31.422s-
18Kevin MagnussenMcLaren/Honda1m32.037s-

-------------

Date Posted: March 14 2015 at 09:28
Who wants to bet that Alonso won't return? Enjoy your 2015 ride Mags! LOL

Date Posted: March 14 2015 at 09:57
Interestingly Jenson said the cars very nice to drive and the onboards show it to be very nicely balanced. You could just get out and puch faster down the straights unfortunately.

-------------

Date Posted: March 14 2015 at 13:09
^Kind of like last season's Ferrari. Sweet.  Clown

-------------

Date Posted: March 14 2015 at 16:31
Yay F1 return!

-------------

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: March 14 2015 at 16:35
Perhaps Alonso crashed on purpose in order to avoid having to debut with that coffee-maker Wink

Date Posted: March 15 2015 at 01:50
Vettel looks weird in Red.

-------------

Date Posted: March 18 2015 at 00:52
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Vettel looks weird in Red.

Oh god it's almost wrong. 

It was pretty shocking how poorly Kimi fared last year compared to Alonso, he always struck me as someone who could do a lot with a little and handle a bad car. 
That said, Ferrari off the a good start so far. Well...maybe not so for KimiLOL

Cool to see Nasr and Sainz in the points already! Clap

Date Posted: March 18 2015 at 12:01
Still mad Alonso didn't go to Red BullLOL

Date Posted: March 18 2015 at 13:32
Given how far both Kvyat and Magnussen got on Sunday I don't think it would have mattered!

Really surprised at how badly a job Red Bull and Renault have done this year, both seem to have gone backwards and the RB11 seems to be only very slightly faster than the Torro Rosso.

-------------

Date Posted: March 18 2015 at 19:43

Given how far both Kvyat and Magnussen got on Sunday I don't think it would have mattered!

Really surprised at how badly a job Red Bull and Renault have done this year, both seem to have gone backwards and the RB11 seems to be only very slightly faster than the Torro Rosso.

Well, trueLOL I'm giving them botd (or assuming) that long term they will be quite fine but I guess we shall see! 
Also, is it safe to assume this is another merc battle year? Well, maybe I'll finally get my wish of seeing a Senna/Prost-esque battle of my time, except with less hate and probably gunna be more one sidedCry

Date Posted: March 18 2015 at 20:20
If anything Merc are even further ahead, and Hamilton seems to have Rosberg completely covered, though it's only been one race. Also, looks like we wont get a German GP this year, Nurburgring is financial dificulty and Hockenheim has been unable to come to an agreement with Bernie for this year and have said no.

Sebring 12 hours this weekend.

-------------

Date Posted: March 20 2015 at 14:32
Excellent, I have nothing planned this weekend and need a break from studying, I'll check out much as I can. 

Lewis was always the better driver, Nico held tight till near-ish the end and had a completely legit chance to win the title BUT he failed to step up when needed. I think perhaps Nico was a bit "smoother" and had some better luck which is what kept him alive, but while I greatly value smooth/managing driving it can't beat skill. 

Long as Merc is strong Lewis will have quite a tear, unless he was to get Alonso as a teammate in the futureLOL

Date Posted: March 20 2015 at 16:38
Suprisingly Lewis was actually the smoother driver last year, Nico was the one hanging it out on the ragged edge. It's thought that thats why he got more poles but Hamilton had the wins. It's also the complete oposite of what everybody was expecting.

-------------

Date Posted: March 21 2015 at 14:08
Well I was thinking the once or twice Nico nursed a failing/shaky car to the end but that can also be luck. 
Like I said, no one who's sane will claim Nico is better anyway, I just hope he can hang with to keep it mildly exciting is all. I can take Merc dominance as long as its like last year, until the end. 

Not much happening at Sebring for the moment but there's been a lead change, Christian Fittipaldi over Mike Rockenfeller

Date Posted: March 22 2015 at 06:49
Not the most exciting Sebring 12 Hours thats for sure, but I'm glad there was a lot less full course yellow this time (more than 6 hours of last years race was run under yellow!), but a good win for Bourdais, Fittipaldi and Barbosa.

I feel sorry for the drivers who race at Krohn, that car is a rocket ship that could easily win races but Tracy Krohn is both slow and accident prone (spun 3 times yesterday, but the pitlane accident wasn't his fault).

-------------

Date Posted: March 22 2015 at 13:51
Yeah it really wasn't, but that is fair. Guess it wouldn't be American racing without thatLOL
I'll never forget seeing Nascar at Pocono and it was 5 hours long, 2.5 of which were yellow Dead
Or even the Indy GP in the day with is horrible long yellows. 

Good win indeed. 

Date Posted: March 22 2015 at 14:53
I have to chime in on this one. I've been watching sports car racing in the States since the old Can Am days and I've never seen a race won by a lap with a car that had a broken front sway bar. (Daytona prototype class). Thanks  to IMSA and Nascar for royally screwing up American road racing. Unhappy

-------------

Date Posted: March 23 2015 at 08:45
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I have to chime in on this one. I've been watching sports car racing in the States since the old Can Am days and I've never seen a race won by a lap with a car that had a broken front sway bar. (Daytona prototype class). Thanks  to IMSA and Nascar for royally screwing up American road racing. Unhappy

There was a bit of talk about that, seems it might have played into Bourdais's hands inparticular as it added some understand when the changing track conditions were making all the cars tend towards oversteer, something Bourdais doesnt like. And I've been a fan of Barbosa's since he started pulling off giant killing performances in the Rollcentre Racing Dallara LMP 10 years ago.

I think Action Express were just really hooked up for the race, along with the faster ESM cars dropping out with steering rack/turbo failures and the extremely fast Krohn car being hobbled by Tracy Krohn. I was surprised at how slow Ganassi were.

-------------

Date Posted: March 23 2015 at 09:35
^In any other racing series, a broken sway bar would only help you in the rain. I think these cars might just be trucks in racing stripes. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: March 23 2015 at 16:15
Well I wont argue against DP's being on the agricultarul side of racing, but a cars balance swings wildely over the course of the Sebring 12 hours, probably more than any other race thanks to the mix of surfaces with concrete and asphault and because it was super hot during the day but the race finishes at night when it's a lot cooler. Several other teams did mention that as the grip level went up the cars got very pointy with a super grippy front end and a lot of oversteer, so a broken front anti roll bar would have helped counter that.

I will be glad to see them replaced with LMP's though.

-------------

Date Posted: March 23 2015 at 17:27
Maybe because we recently got back from a vacation in Europe and I haven't been able to watch any racing aside from the horrible opening round to the F1 season, but I haven't really enjoyed racing this year.  Not yet, anyway. 

-------------

ht

Date Posted: March 24 2015 at 06:51
^Have you tried watching the Formula E races, they're surprisingly entertaining with a very strong grid and the next rounds from Long Beach.

-------------

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 00:07
I need to give it another chance.  I watched the first race and, aside from the crazy last lap, found it to be underwhelming and there were some aspects of it that I didn't like (changing cars, live DJ, etc.), but I've been at least reading about it a little.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 07:17
Thankfully the live DJ doesnt have much of a prescence during the race anymore, I think most people didn't like that, and it'll be a few years before the batteries have been developed enough so they don't have to change car midway but the racing quality is excellent, Beijing was just a rubbish track all round but Buenes Aries and Miami were both excellent and well, Long Beach is Long Beach.

-------------

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 11:19

Well I wont argue against DP's being on the agricultarul side of racing, but a cars balance swings wildely over the course of the Sebring 12 hours, probably more than any other race thanks to the mix of surfaces with concrete and asphault and because it was super hot during the day but the race finishes at night when it's a lot cooler. Several other teams did mention that as the grip level went up the cars got very pointy with a super grippy front end and a lot of oversteer, so a broken front anti roll bar would have helped counter that.

I will be glad to see them replaced with LMP's though.
I'm not going to challenge your expertise (JJ said you were the site expert Wink) but slick conditions would seem to swing the the other way once the night time settled in and the ambient dropped.

However, we can certainly agree that DPs leave a lot to be desired.

-------------

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 16:07
I think there are very few motorbike fans here, but:

1. Any thoughts about Kawasaki's 325 horsepower production (though not road legal) bike Ninja H2R?
Apparently it's perhaps not the quickest to lap in a circuit but it's not either a drag bike for straight line acceleration only, it's a bike which can really handle but provides unprecedented acceleration and torque experience (by being supercharged if only a 1000 cc engine). Test journalists reached 221 mph / 355 km/h in the press test in Lossail circuit in Qatar, and they said top speed would have been even faster was the straight longer Shocked.

Probably a bike to make history.

The road legal version H2 has 'only' 200 horsepower.

Watch the video at the bottom of the article if you are interested.

http://www.superbike.co.uk/bike-tests/h-hour-first-ride-of-the-kawasaki-h2-and-h2r/" rel="nofollow - http://www.superbike.co.uk/bike-tests/h-hour-first-ride-of-the-kawasaki-h2-and-h2r/

2. This weekend starts the MotoGP season in Qatar. Based on the pre-season tests it seems that it can be a very interesting championship, many manufacturers and riders are very close, Ducati seems to have improved a lot and we have new factory teams for Suzuki and Aprilia. I look forward to this MotoGP season!

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 21:49
I very loosly follow MotoGP, but much more of a car man myself.

221mph at Losail! Thats nuts as it's such a micky mouse circuite with nothing but short streights, I'd almost be worried to see what it could do at Mugello.

@SteveG I think we can agree that the DP's are the only race cars going where something like this might happen, technologically they were 20 years out of date when first introduced 10 years ago and very much deserved the "greenhouse on wheels" moniker. And your right, all things being equal if the available grip level goes up you'd expect a car to develop understeer since the rear tyres are larger than the fronts and offer a proportionally greater increase in grip than the fronts would (does not apply to LMP1's though, they all run the exact same size of tyre front and rear but of different construction specs). However, things like tyre pressures, compounds and suspension and aero set ups will have a big effect on the way the cars balance changes as well.

If I had to guess I'd say it was down to one of two things (or maybe both) the Continental tyres they all run which definitely aren't a match for anything Dunlop or Michelin could produce, or the DP's themselves but since teams running Coyote, Riley and Dallara chassis all said the same thing I'd be inclined to say it was the tyres.

Also, Indycar starts up this weekend again, St Petes.

-------------

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 00:05
Yes I am excited. I think this could be a nutty Indycar year. It seems reasonable to me that Power, RHR, and Castroneves will all be legit title contenders, with a strong chance of JPM being in there, Dixon who can't ever be ruled out, and even Pagenaud who seems always lurking. 

I think a big year for Carlos Munoz too, who could really impress and is still young, future F1 potential? 

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 07:05
Pagenaud is my favorite for the title this year since he's in a fourth Penske now, Simona de Silvestro is back and driving for Andretti, at least for a few races but no Justin Wilson this year unfortunately, just couldn't get a deal closed.

I think Munoz is good enough but not F1's radar, and would have to bring a lot of sponsorship anyway, same goes for Sage Karam.

-------------

Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 00:58
I caught a formula E race once...fairly entertaining. Thumbs Up

Glad to have Indycar back in the saddle. 

-------------

Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 16:04
I'm definitely looking for some great drives out of Simon Pagenaud this year. I think he's found a home at Penske, where fast fearless drivers with brains are appreciated and do well.

Btw, did anyone catch F1 practice?

Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 17:51
I didn't watch but Hamilton was fastest, just ahead of Raikkonen.

-------------

Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 23:18
I'm hoping for a good F1 race this weekend, or for at least a semi-full grid.  Baby steps, I guess.  At least NASCAR and Indy should be entertaining with Martinsville and St. Petersburg hosting generally good racing.  Logano on the pole for Sunday, too.

-------------

ht

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk