Print Page | Close Window

Yes and Toto Tour 2015

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
Forum Description: Announce (shows, dates and more) and discuss progressive events and bands touring (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101116
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 02:09
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Yes and Toto Tour 2015
Posted By: Michael678
Subject: Yes and Toto Tour 2015
Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 14:30
http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2015-01-27/yes-and-toto-planning-us-tour" rel="nofollow - http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2015-01-27/yes-and-toto-planning-us-tour

the link up above says it all, with interviews between David Paich of Toto and Alan White Yes both stating a joint North American tour starting in August. any thoughts about it (even though the majority of you probably wouldn't go)?

-------------
Progrockdude

Replies:
Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 15:50
won't go---like seeing half a Yes show and I don't like Toto---Yes should never share a bill with another group--unless it's Steve Hackett.Cool

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 16:30
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

won't go---like seeing half a Yes show and I don't like Toto---Yes should never share a bill with another group--unless it's Steve Hackett.Cool

xD

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 17:27
Toto too?!

Posted By: Cesar Inca
Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 18:34
Yes and Magma would be fine... so that the British ones could learn that a band full of 60+ year old musicians can have a powerful drummer when they see the French ones... ha, ha, ha  Tongue

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 19:44
Even though it is not even close to their best, I might go if they actually promote their new album - or at least something else that isn't 40 years old.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 19:56
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Toto too?!

Okay I'll bite---Toto too.Wink

I did read they will play some of the new album which I would like to hear but Toto is a no no.

Posted By: calm_sea
Date Posted: February 14 2015 at 08:07
I'll be sitting this one out.  Even though Yes are treading water at this point (and have been for years now), I'll always go see them play, but not if I have to sit through Toto.  As Toto won't be delegated to just being a "warm up" band, their presence will likely shorten the Yes set, which I do not approve of.

Date Posted: February 14 2015 at 08:14
Originally posted by calm_sea calm_sea wrote:

I'll be sitting this one out.  Even though Yes are treading water at this point (and have been for years now), I'll always go see them play, but not if I have to sit through Toto.  As Toto won't be delegated to just being a "warm up" band, their presence will likely shorten the Yes set, which I do not approve of.

feel the same ---they shouldn't tour with a big AOR band ---something arty or folky is okay for a 30 min set but thats about it.

Date Posted: February 14 2015 at 09:01

feel the same ---they shouldn't tour with a big AOR band ---something arty or folky is okay for a 30 min set but thats about it.

I 100% agree.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: February 14 2015 at 09:23

most redicules statement ive ever read.

-------------

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: February 14 2015 at 11:19
Contrary to popular PA opinion I happen to like Toto a great deal. Superb musicianship and songwriting. Like Yes obviously. I see the match.

I have seen both bands live several times so why not together although this is probably not the concertgoer any of the bands is hoping to see as none of the bands is going to win me over as a fan.

Date Posted: February 14 2015 at 13:33
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

if that is the most ridiculous statement you ever read on here you live a sheltered lifeWink pretty common for Yes to not tour with anyone over the years---they seem to have long songs and long sets---but anyway knock yourself out loving Toto----not my kind of music Period. Think a lot of prog fans are not into them good musicians or not---rather go to a proper jazz concert but that's just my taste.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 14 2015 at 21:12
Toto? How many times can Rosanna kiss the rain down in Africa? And Yes without Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman (or at least Pat Moraz)? No thanks.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 10:24

if that is the most ridiculous statement you ever read on here you live a sheltered lifeWink pretty common for Yes to not tour with anyone over the years---they seem to have long songs and long sets---but anyway knock yourself out loving Toto----not my kind of music Period. Think a lot of prog fans are not into them good musicians or not---rather go to a proper jazz concert but that's just my taste.

Yeah, but just being around adoring Toto fans would be enough to give me the skieves. Anyone but them.

Date Posted: March 02 2015 at 17:08
They might as well tour with REO Speedwagon or Foreigner.  Yes and Toto are on the same label, so I am nearly positive this was a record label decision, not a band one.  All the recent Yes shows I've been to were sold out, so I don't see the purpose of doing this.  Maybe to cut touring costs?  Who knows.  I get the impression that the reason Yes are touring so constantly is because of recording contract requirements.  The possible heavy touring requirement is the same reason Jon Anderson likely couldn't return to the band.

Seriously though, I can't stand Toto.

Date Posted: March 02 2015 at 19:36

They might as well tour with REO Speedwagon or Foreigner.  Yes and Toto are on the same label, so I am nearly positive this was a record label decision, not a band one.  All the recent Yes shows I've been to were sold out, so I don't see the purpose of doing this.  Maybe to cut touring costs?  Who knows.  I get the impression that the reason Yes are touring so constantly is because of recording contract requirements.  The possible heavy touring requirement is the same reason Jon Anderson likely couldn't return to the band.

I can't stand them either---they have teamed up with other "popular" bands for summer tours before.
It is impossible to make a living in music unless you tour. It's the only way.

Date Posted: March 02 2015 at 22:20

I can't stand them either---they have teamed up with other "popular" bands for summer tours before.

And you've just correctly disagreed with calm-sea's explanation on why Yes is touring. Because that's where the money is! You are correct, sir! Big name acts like Yes no longer have to sign contracts requiring them to tour. It's that they have to! As for Anderson, well, the others pissed him off sufficiently enough while he was ill to send him running for z' hills.

Date Posted: March 03 2015 at 13:57

And you've just correctly disagreed with calm-sea's explanation on why Yes is touring. Because that's where the money is! You are correct, sir! Big name acts like Yes no longer have to sign contracts requiring them to tour. It's that they have to! As for Anderson, well, the others pissed him off sufficiently enough while he was ill to send him running for z' hills.

Frontiers.... one of these days you need to let go of these people for something called f**king rest... i guess. (lol, a rhyme)

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: March 03 2015 at 14:29
Yes and Toto... that could be quite good, actually. Wink

Date Posted: March 03 2015 at 20:45
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

Frontiers.... one of these days you need to let go of these people for something called f**king rest... i guess. (lol, a rhyme)

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: March 11 2015 at 15:09
Toto might be the better of the two these days. LOL

Date Posted: March 11 2015 at 15:58
Oh, sweet Jesus, NO! Tell me you didn't just say that!

Date Posted: March 11 2015 at 16:41
HE JUST CensoredING DID!!!!

-------------
Progrockdude

Date Posted: March 11 2015 at 18:56
He said it as a joke---at least that's what I want to believe.

Posted By: Roland113
Date Posted: March 12 2015 at 14:22
Yeah, I don't know how to say this properly but I'd much rather go see Toto than Yes these days.  While I certainly enjoy the pop hits of the 80's, I really loved their last album and I've heard that a new one is on the way shortly.

I know that I'm not going to convince the PA masses, but I don't know if I want to have to sit through a whole bunch of Yes to get to Toto.

-------------
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Date Posted: March 12 2015 at 14:28
Come to think of it, I'd sit through that bunch of Yes and leave before Toto takes the stage.

Date Posted: March 12 2015 at 14:33

Come to think of it, I'd sit through that bunch of Yes and leave before Toto takes the stage.

Oh, I would guess you'd be in the majority of the PA denzeins, I've always found my disdain of Yes to be a little strange.  On paper, they're a band that I realy should like, but aside from a few songs here and there, I generally just don't like their stuff for some reason.

-------------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: March 12 2015 at 15:23
Yes and Toto share a tenuous link:
Billy Sherwood and Tony Kaye joined up with Toto's Bobby Kimball a few years back to tour as Yoso.

I'm not interested in seeing recent Yes incarnations, and have no desire to see Toto.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Date Posted: March 12 2015 at 19:18
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

Yes and Toto share a tenuous link:
Billy Sherwood and Tony Kaye joined up with Toto's Bobby Kimball a few years back to tour as Yoso.

I'm not interested in seeing recent Yes incarnations, and have no desire to see Toto.

Hate Toto and Toto type music---and sherwood should play with them because hate his music too.
See no relationship from The Yes Album to Tormato---Mag and other original work with Howe on guitar and Toto music. Just my opinion.

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: March 12 2015 at 20:51
Yes should just let Yezda Urfa open up for them so they can get shown up.

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 09:03
Mainly because I've never see Yes live (discovered them in 2001), I just ordered tickets today. I'll probably have a nap when Toto plays though LOL

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 10:01
2001? That's 14 years!

Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 13:55
i knew of them since the start of this decade, but didn't become a full-blown fan until 2011.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: zachfive
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 17:17
If Simon Philips was still in Toto it would be worth the admission just to see him. And I find myself agreeing with earlyprog in that I very much enjoy Toto's songs, as well as each individual members skills as a musician.

Also want to mention, as I have before years ago, that when Yes/Styx toured I went because of Yes but left that night amazed by the performance of Styx. Went and saw them again when they toured and passed on Yes tickets, something I am going to do this time as well.

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 22:24
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

Mainly because I've never see Yes live (discovered them in 2001), I just ordered tickets today. I'll probably have a nap when Toto plays though LOL

I'm in too.  Ohio and Michigan.  NOT looking forward to Toto, however.  Strategic lateness is indicated.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 18 2015 at 02:24
Toto are okay but the only thing I remember about the gig I went to was possibly the most boring solo keyboard spot of all time which was the cue for a mass exodus to the toilets. Trouble with Toto is that there is only 3 songs that you really want to hear.

Posted By: MUDKAT
Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 15:19
Anyone have any idea what set Yes is going to play?

Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 16:02
Probably a bunch of tunes I'd rather not hear again. Just stay with what works, lads.

Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 17:58
This is actually a college nightmare of mine coming true ---when I was in college a cool arty friend of mine said what bands do you like? After a long pause wondering if I should admit it....I said Yes. Before I could tell him to check out HOTSR, Gates or Ctte---he was like--Eeew aren't they like Toto? I was like hell no they are nothing like Toto!! It was too late---I died of embarrassment.LOL

Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 18:56

This is actually a college nightmare of mine coming true ---when I was in college a cool arty friend of mine said what bands do you like? After a long pause wondering if I should admit it....I said Yes. Before I could tell him to check out HOTSR, Gates or Ctte---he was like--Eeew aren't they like Toto? I was like hell no they are nothing like Toto!! It was too late---I died of embarrassment.LOL

awwwww........ Cry

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: May 05 2015 at 12:18
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Yes and Toto... that could be quite good, actually. Wink

Sure could.
Lukather is a great guitar player and they made lots of great tracks.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Date Posted: May 05 2015 at 12:22
it will be a very sad thoughts, yet also very solemn concert tour in regards to Mike Porcaros passing any Toto concert now has a certain emotional weight, Toto is all about the Porcaros, so support Steve Porcaro is a good reason for me to buy a ticket.

-------------

Date Posted: May 05 2015 at 12:26
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Toto are okay but the only thing I remember about the gig I went to was possibly the most boring solo keyboard spot of all time which was the cue for a mass exodus to the toilets. Trouble with Toto is that there is only 3 songs that you really want to hear.
the last part is not completly ture though

-------------

Date Posted: May 05 2015 at 15:26

the last part is not completly ture though

for me there's only 1 song: Hold the Line

-------------
Progrockdude

Date Posted: May 06 2015 at 10:02

So you're saying there are three.

Date Posted: May 06 2015 at 10:31

I thought they only released one album called Africa.

-------------

Date Posted: May 06 2015 at 11:14

Actually, "Falling in Between" was a really good album, there was a surprising amount of proggy goodness in there and much less Rosanna.  I haven't had a chance to spin the new one yet, I'm checking out Ozric Tentacles at the moment, but may give it a whirl later on in the day.

-------------

Posted By: Bitterblogger
Date Posted: May 14 2015 at 17:34
There's actually past Yes-Toto connections: Jon's guesting on "The Seventh One", and Steve Porcaro was a member of Chris' solo tour in '92.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: May 14 2015 at 19:14
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

Contrary to popular PA opinion I happen to like Toto a great deal. Superb musicianship and songwriting. Like Yes obviously. I see the match.

I have seen both bands live several times so why not together although this is probably not the concertgoer any of the bands is hoping to see as none of the bands is going to win me over as a fan.

I'd actually go to see Toto anytime but wouldn't want to sit through any recent Yes. The classics - fine, but not a great deal after Relayer.

And Toto are not simply AOR - they're a phenomenal bunch of musicians who play mostly highly progressive music. They released a few successful singles, but so did many other bands. Listen to Absolutely Live to hear them at their best.

The only thing I cringe at is in the song Africa, where the lyrics say "Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti". They certainly haven't been there, because you can't even see Kilimanjaro from the Serengeti!!

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: September 30 2015 at 10:36
As it was, Toto was a billion times better than that feeble phoned in Yes show.  The funny thing is, after the Toto set, everyone went to the merch stand to buy the new album (which is incredible).  I saw a lot of die hard yes fans leave in the middle of the Yes set.  Yes sounded feeble and sloppy.  The sound was terrible too.  You couldn't hear Geoff Downes keyboards AT ALL.  

AND WHO'S BRIGHT IDEA WAS IT TO CONCENTRATE ON MATERIAL FROM TORMATO.  A colossal waste of talented musicians.  Who got it in their head to say, "lets' open with and concentrate on our worst album?" because that's what happened.  I'm a die hard Yes fan my whole life, and they completely disappointed me.  Almost made me cry. Cry

Toto proved most of you folks wrong.  They were incredible and that new album (Toto XIV) is probably the best thing they've done.  If you haven't heard it yet, you are doing yourself a huge disservice.  (And when you are done with that, listen to their second album "Hydra" and tell me they are not worthy...  Ignore Africa and Rosanna... they were cash cows).

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: September 30 2015 at 11:05
^There are worse Yes albums than "Tormato".  "Talk", and the real stinker "Open Your Eyes" come to mind right away.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: September 30 2015 at 11:10
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

As it was, Toto was a billion times better than that feeble phoned in Yes show.  The funny thing is, after the Toto set, everyone went to the merch stand to buy the new album (which is incredible).  I saw a lot of die hard yes fans leave in the middle of the Yes set.  Yes sounded feeble and sloppy.  The sound was terrible too.  You couldn't hear Geoff Downes keyboards AT ALL.  

AND WHO'S BRIGHT IDEA WAS IT TO CONCENTRATE ON MATERIAL FROM TORMATO.  

a. the shows I saw were good, and no one seemed that impressed by Toto at either one.  b. Yes only played one song from Tormato, Don't Kill the Whale.  The opening piece (Onward) was a recording.

Don't know what happened at your show - are you sure you were paying attention?

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: September 30 2015 at 11:23

^There are worse Yes albums than "Tormato".  "Talk", and the real stinker "Open Your Eyes" come to mind right away.

I rather enjoyed Tormato, and also loved Talk, which, to me, was an exceptional album. Agree about Open Your Eyes,though - an absolute stinker of an album.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: September 30 2015 at 11:45
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

AND WHO'S BRIGHT IDEA WAS IT TO CONCENTRATE ON MATERIAL FROM TORMATO.  A colossal waste of talented musicians.  Who got it in their head to say, "lets' open with and concentrate on our worst album?" because that's what happened.  I'm a die hard Yes fan my whole life, and they completely disappointed me.  Almost made me cry. Cry

Toto proved most of you folks wrong.  They were incredible and that new album (Toto XIV) is probably the best thing they've done.  If you haven't heard it yet, you are doing yourself a huge disservice.  (And when you are done with that, listen to their second album "Hydra" and tell me they are not worthy...  Ignore Africa and Rosanna... they were cash cows).
This is sad but true when I saw them. I knew it was going to be bad when I saw the setlist consist of 'Onward, Don't Kill The Whale, Tempus Fugit (although I love that song), Time And A Word, and Owner.' And Toto was on fire, Lukather played like a madman and Paich showed no mercy with the keys as he pounded away at them. Not being a huge Toto fan, I found some of my favourite songs from that show being on XIV, with me thinking that they were big hits. Huge respect for them, and also went out to buy their album. Only good things to really come out of it is I got a new t-shirt and I saw Howe live (THE CLAP WAS ON THE SETLIST AND CHICAGO WAS THE ONLY SHOW WHERE HE DIDNT PLAY IT) 

-------------

Date Posted: September 30 2015 at 11:55

Agree---yeah it makes me sick to see what Yes has become----I was not at LA show but a friend who was said Yes fans ---a lot of them---left before the end. I have very high standard for the band so I haven't seen them in years---the YouTube videos are painful enough to watch.Cry

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk