Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101178
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 15:56
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Best song from Fireball-era Deep Purple
Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Subject: Best song from Fireball-era Deep Purple
Date Posted: February 01 2015 at 18:08
I've been going on a Deep Purple binge for sometime, with Fireball being played frequently on my stereo. Which was their best song from this era?

I've decided to include both exclusives ("Demon's Eye", Strange Kind Of Woman") and while "I'm Alone" wasn't released on the original album (it has made an appearance on the 25th Anniversary edition), it still would have made a fine edition. Oh,  and the bonus tracks were included ("Freedom", "Slow Train", "The Noise Abatement Society Tapes"), just in case.

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Replies:
Posted By: Wakeman's Birotron
Date Posted: February 01 2015 at 18:17
Fools.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: February 01 2015 at 18:18
Originally posted by Wakeman's Birotron Wakeman's Birotron wrote:

Fools.

DittoClap.

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: February 01 2015 at 19:49
I'll go with the title track. A ripping ballsy rocker yet possessing an ususually happy keyboard solo smack dab in the middle of it. Crazy yet uplifting.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: February 01 2015 at 22:49
I was in a band once that was beginning to implode on itself.  We were getting gigs at one particular club and had even begun to attract a fan base that was not just people we knew.  I got us some gigs but the rest of the band was not interested (ConfusedAngry) because we had lost our rehearsal site.  That's when I proposed we do No One Came (we did mostly originals) because I thought it represented the direction of the band, or lack thereof.  It was not quite our style so I was voted down on it.  Still, it is my favorite track from that era of Deep Purple.  To this day, I don't think any of my former droogs got the joke or the dig.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 02 2015 at 03:16
No No No.

-------------

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: February 02 2015 at 03:52
I chose Fools for its heavy riffing, trippy mid-section, nice sense of dynamics and Gillan's growly vocals. I'm Alone is a close second, one of their best and it's strange that they chose to bury it as a b-side when it could have been included on Fireball instead of a lesser track like Demon's Eye.

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: February 02 2015 at 04:54
Demon's Eye, followed closely by No One Came.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: February 02 2015 at 07:40
Strange..

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 02 2015 at 11:34
Never was a big Deep Purple fan and Fireball is my least favorite of their classic trilogy period.....but of that time frame I suppose Strange Kind of Woman....or Fools.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: progadicto
Date Posted: February 02 2015 at 12:04
Go with SKoW... Second place: Demon's Eye... Third place: Slow Train... Hard poll anyway...

-------------
... E N E L B U N K E R...

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: February 02 2015 at 12:44
Demon's Eye is one of my favourite DP songs

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: February 02 2015 at 13:22
Strange Kind of Woman.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: February 03 2015 at 02:28
Fools for the spacey epic feel and riffs. I must say the anniversary edition is such an improvement on the old LP. Improved sound, all related material this is the proper version.

I think coming in between In Rock And Machine Head gets it overlooked a bit. Not surprising though.

Oh, here's something I've been wondering for years. In Isaac Asimov's multi volume Foundation Trilogy. he has a creature character called The Mule which is also associated with five Fools. Bearing in mind it's been a long, long time since I've read that lot I did however wonder if there was a connection between that and Fireball (almost certainly Gillan's doing). Also, The Mule is a song (of sorts) here and not just a vehicle for the drum solo in concert. Of course it could be just my imagination running away with me... but conceptual continuity is always fun...

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: February 08 2015 at 21:00
Fools.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: February 09 2015 at 01:54
I'm alone is one of my fave purple songs. Fireball, No no no, anyone's daughter, fools, the mule are cool too. How does a straight forward hard rock song(strange kind of woman) win this poll?

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: February 09 2015 at 15:46
Demons eye is the boring track from this list. Hard rock with average vocals. Bit like Smoke on the water

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: Chicapah
Date Posted: February 21 2015 at 17:11
I've always loved "No One Came" for various reasons:
1. The groove is fat
2. Gillian's lyrics are deliciously snarky ("Must've been the king of queens")
3. Blackmore's guitar lead and subsequent snippets (some backwards) are cool as the other side of the pillow

-------------
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain

Posted By: paragraph7
Date Posted: February 21 2015 at 18:52
I voted the title track, only because I am in love with the chromatic run in the organ solo. Oh and because itz haz ze balls.

-------------
What you cannot speak of, you have to pass on in silence.

Posted By: Littlecarrots
Date Posted: February 21 2015 at 19:47
Fools, it retains some of their proggy/psych sound from their early works (especially their first three albums) yet it has the heavier sound from that era. I just like more the band's early sound.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: February 21 2015 at 19:56
I voted for Fools

a GREAT hard rock album indeed Smile

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: February 21 2015 at 20:14
Demon's Eyes>Fools>Fireball

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk