Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101386
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 11:43
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 3 Pink Floyd albums - part 4
Posted By: Stool Man
Subject: 3 Pink Floyd albums - part 4
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 05:31
Part 4 of 5 polls.  Here are the three albums made when Roger Waters took control of the band, tell us which  you prefer and why.

I predict at least ten people will just say the name of their choice, and nothing else.
Discussion is encouraged.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Replies:
Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 06:00
Animals!!

This album is sublime. Full of Waters cold poetic cynicism, and great guitar work from Gilmour. Dogs is one of the finest prog rock epics ever written..

The Wall is a great album too, and arguably my introduction to prog rock. Hey you, Comfortably Numb, Mother and The Trial are all Floyd gems.

I've only heard The Final Cut about four times in my life. Left me completely cold each time.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Tuzvihar
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 06:08
The Wall. It's Roger Waters' opus magnum. I don't know The Final Cut.

-------------
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 06:24
Animals: The Wall is listenable and I don't like The Final Cut.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 07:43
1. Animals
2. The Final Cut (arguably their most underrated album)
3. The Wall (their most overrated album beyond doubt).

-------------

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 07:45
Animals is my favorite PF album

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 07:46
Animals is the final album in my trilogy of favorites (DSOTM, WYWH).

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 07:53
now it gets difficult...  Floyd begins to sink under the thumb of Roger.

Animals but not a ringing endorsement.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 08:11
Animals is my favorite Floyd album with the balance between Waters songwriting and Gilmour-Wright musical influence. The following 2 Waters dominated albums do very little for me.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 08:13
^ how you doing up there Ian.  We are thinking of you down here where it is merely arctic. We only got an inch of snow here.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Guillermo
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 08:15
"Animals". But I really don`t like this period of the band very much.

-------------
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 08:26
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ how you doing up there Ian.  We are thinking of you down here where it is merely arctic. We only got an inch of snow here.

Blizzard conditions, already had over a foot since yesterday evening with 30 mph winds, not meant to stop until this evening, its pretty bleak.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 08:29
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Blizzard conditions, already had over a foot since yesterday evening with 30 mph winds, not meant to stop until this evening, its pretty bleak.

wish I could trade places with you LOL  Stay warm and safe man! I read we actually had some buildings in the area collapse last night, not because of snow, but because of the wind.  Reassuring LOL

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 08:30
easy one, Animals, superior to The Wall, not to mention TFC.

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 08:31
Animals, baby! followed by The Wall of course.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: infernalfrog
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 08:31
Animals, because Dogs.
It's my favourite album ever, and was influenced by one of my favourite books, The Animal Farm. Nothing can top that.

The Wall is a great album, and the movie/live performance are even better, but it's the worse of the 7 five star albums of the band.

The Final Cut is nice, but it's too continuous, every song sound the same, but it deserve some listenings from time to time.

-------------
Please, forgive my spelling and concordance mistakes. English noob here.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 09:35
The Wall is a greater achievement than Animals. I love Animals but it is too abbreviated for my tastes -- one or two songs short of a masterpiece.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 09:42
Animals gets the resounding vote from me.  This is an all around favorite full of amazing music.  The Wall is great but gets overplayed and just like DSotM, it is no fault of the album.  Final Cut is way down at the bottom of the stack for me, not even close to the other two.

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 10:15
Easy call - Animals...

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 10:24
Got to give the edge to Animals, though I like all three albums, and have a soft spot for The Wall - which I was lucky to see performed live in 1980.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 11:10
If the whole album was made of Comfortably Numb it would have been The Wall, but Animals is the last true Floyd abum

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 14:44
Animals.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: CryoftheCarrots
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 15:37
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

1. Animals
2. The Final Cut (arguably their most underrated album)
3. The Wall (their most overrated album beyond doubt).

What he said.

-------------
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 16:55
Animals

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 17:04
At first glance, it was an easy vote for Animals, but then I thought about all those hours I've spent completely entranced by The Wall.  This may be the first Floyd poll where I can't choose a clear winner.  As I said in another related thread, the Floyd could do no wrong, so even though "The Final Cut" is the clear 3rd place for me in this poll, I would certainly recommend everyone listen to it, and I could even understand someone claiming it to be a favorite.

Today... I feel slightly more inclined to climb The Wall... sure, not all the songs are top notch, but I have never listened to that album without getting choked up at least twice.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 17:15
As I don't like Animals I'd voted for The Wall (although it's nothing breathtaking IMO). The Final Cut is out of question of voting for me...

-------------

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 17:33
Animals, easily. It should've just been 2 Pink Floyd albums as TFC shouldn't even be compared to these two masterpieces.

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 19:54
The Wall

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 22:33
Animals, easily, for me. My favourite album by the band along with Wish you were here. I think this album would have made a better match with that album and Dark Side, actually, which is what I consider the masterpiece tio of albums from the band. Once again, of course, every one of this albums has some amazing songs, though, and the other two also make a wonderful listening experience if listened to as a whole.

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: February 15 2015 at 23:19

Animals has great consistency. On the other hand, The Wall has great highs, and some weak material. 

Just like Ummagumma had great consistency, while Meddle had great highs, and some weaker material.

In both cases, I went with the albums that had great highs. (I.e. Meddle & The Wall.)

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: February 16 2015 at 00:39
It's interesting how taste changes over time. 20 years ago this would have The Wall in a landslide, with TFC in second. I think it's vastly underrated. Anyway, Animals just grabs me anymore; with Waters venom, Gilmour's guitars and Wrights never mentioned keyboards. Great album, going with Animals.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: February 16 2015 at 02:12
The Final Cut is Water's magnum opus.......very few understand that. Refined Wall with absolute heart on the sleeve stuff.....epic

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Komandant Shamal
Date Posted: February 16 2015 at 02:57
Animals. My favorite Pink Floyd album.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: February 16 2015 at 04:51
Animals, easily.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: February 16 2015 at 06:54
Animals over The Wall.
Although I listen to cuts from The Wall more, as a whole, the album itself is just too depressing. Animals might not be as fluid as The Wall, but I come out feeling better listening to the whole thing in one sitting as opposed to The Wall.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Date Posted: February 16 2015 at 21:26
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Animals has great consistency. On the other hand, The Wall has great highs, and some weak material. 

Just like Ummagumma had great consistency, while Meddle had great highs, and some weaker material.

In both cases, I went with the albums that had great highs. (I.e. Meddle & The Wall.)

Even considering "Comfortably Numb", Dogs for me is a higher high than anything on The Wall, so for me Animals wins both for consitency and highs.

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: February 16 2015 at 22:13
This was my introduction to Animals, LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1enfo8zn3_g" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1enfo8zn3_g

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: February 22 2015 at 04:19
When I first heard The Final Cut I was one of many who found it didn't work for me. It is very austere and not really rock related. Effectively a prequel to The Wall and with a lot of comment to the events of 1982, as much as Animals attacks social mores in the 1970s though in more general terms. Always thought Roger has a very nice line in invective. Pink Floyd utterly out manoeuvred punk.

Now I listen to and enjoy The Final Cut - there are some fine melodies there which may not be Roger's priority. But DG gets in his effective guitar solos and Michael Kamen contributes some beautiful orchestration. The inclusion of When The Tigers Broke Free is most welcome.

The Wall is huge. It gets covered, tributed, schools do their version. It saved the dying music biz (that and Zep's ITTOD). But how this dense narrative with the vast array of styles holds up but broke into commercial acceptance is quite something.

I suppose I shuld vote for Animals, a rock classic. it's logical perhaps. But loads of respect to The Final Cut I think The Wall with it's concerts and live version, the movie is really a summit of the audio visual ambitions The Pink Floyd had begun c. 1965.

P.S. [Hidden message] Dear Pink Floyd, please, do a decent remaster of Animals. The CD and LP sound as impenetrable as each other. And make sure I can get a 24 bit version. Cheers. ;)

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 21:35

Animals.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: February 26 2015 at 10:26
1. Animals
2. The Wall

3. The Final Cut Dead

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: February 26 2015 at 12:23
Is there any song on Animals that tops Comfortably Numb? Not in my book. The Wall.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: February 26 2015 at 14:01
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Is there any song on Animals that tops Comfortably Numb? Not in my book. The Wall.
I can name three: Sheep, Pigs, & Dogs

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Date Posted: February 26 2015 at 21:33
Well, at the very least Dogs.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 09:09
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! brain meltdown on this one... but I voted
WALL...

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 12:59
Animals easily, my favorite PF album.

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 13:37
Animals

Posted By: charles_ryder
Date Posted: May 09 2015 at 14:44
I am surprising. "The Wall" is not so popular here?!

-------------
om mani padme hum

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: May 09 2015 at 15:22
Animals, by miles.

Date Posted: May 09 2015 at 23:06
Originally posted by charles_ryder charles_ryder wrote:

I am surprising. "The Wall" is not so popular here?!

Well, against "Animals" in a prog forum... indeed it had a very slim chance.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: May 10 2015 at 02:16
Animals is a fantastic album, albeit the most badly produced - not heard the most recent master, just going by my '90s era Jap CD.

The Final Cut I used to dislike. Not now though. It's not exactly an engaging or immediate listen but tehre are some fine tunes on there. Though the period nature of the content may date it the easist. Which is probably why it opens in a 1940s theme rather than a rock idea. Really it's a pre rock, post war prequel to...

The Wall. What an album. Overrated? How is that decided? When it's too popular? If I listen to the radio (I don't) I may hear too much. As a lyrical narrative it works from the start to the end. The musical highlights are many and varied. It has Comfortably Numb. It translates to tributes and school productions. A huge concept on many levels but always comes back to The Individual (like Yes' art work on Going For The One) or 2112 by Rush. Great in concert, great movie. Never mind the politics, the results are just fantastic, that is really what I think...

Posted By: charles_ryder
Date Posted: May 10 2015 at 14:50
Indeed "The Wall" is a great album. And I think this is definitely prog album. "Animals: has some punk intentions, not clearly prog.

-------------
om mani padme hum

Date Posted: May 10 2015 at 22:27
Originally posted by charles_ryder charles_ryder wrote:

Indeed "The Wall" is a great album. And I think this is definitely prog album. "Animals: has some punk intentions, not clearly prog.

Oh well, I see more prog on Animals than Punk, that's for sure. No Punk Song would have reached the 10 min mark, much less the 17 min one. Perhaps because of the agressiveness of the music, but still, prog can be agressive too. I also find more of a prog aproach on Animals than on The Wall. I still love The Wall, though, brilliant album and brilliant concept and all... Animals is, along with Wish you Were Here, my favourite album from the band (though usually, if I have to choose, I'll go with WYWH just a step above Animals).

Date Posted: May 10 2015 at 22:31
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Animals is a fantastic album, albeit the most badly produced - not heard the most recent master, just going by my '90s era Jap CD.

The Final Cut I used to dislike. Not now though. It's not exactly an engaging or immediate listen but tehre are some fine tunes on there. Though the period nature of the content may date it the easist. Which is probably why it opens in a 1940s theme rather than a rock idea. Really it's a pre rock, post war prequel to...

The Wall. What an album. Overrated? How is that decided? When it's too popular? If I listen to the radio (I don't) I may hear too much. As a lyrical narrative it works from the start to the end. The musical highlights are many and varied. It has Comfortably Numb. It translates to tributes and school productions. A huge concept on many levels but always comes back to The Individual (like Yes' art work on Going For The One) or 2112 by Rush. Great in concert, great movie. Never mind the politics, the results are just fantastic, that is really what I think...

About the Final Cut, I might not place it very high among my favourite Floyd albums, but indeed it's got some killer songs that I love... and then as a whole it works very fine indeed too, it flows very nicely and works together very well. I still think that they should have included The Heroes Return with parts 1&2 together, though... that way it's among my favourite songs from the album... but the way it's presented in the album, with only part 1, it's too short and sounds incomplete and just leaves me frustrated. Really, if this song was included as such, the whole album would have benefitted (and even more on the last re-release with When The Tigers Broke Free included in the album too).

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: May 10 2015 at 22:35
those are my 3 favorite PF albums, I cannot vote here. xxxxx

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk