Print Page | Close Window

British Proto-Prog

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101479
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 11:42
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: British Proto-Prog
Posted By: Stool Man
Subject: British Proto-Prog
Date Posted: February 22 2015 at 08:38
The Beatles would run away with this poll, so they've been omitted to give people a chance to vote for other options.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Replies:
Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: February 22 2015 at 08:50
I went with Spooky Tooth mainly because of the line up and the great album Spooky Two.
Besides, they don't get enough mention around here. I'm glad you included them.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 22 2015 at 09:04
voted for Deep purple because i like the Evans era a lot
I admit that, again, I don't know all the bands in the list, and a few don't interest me anymore

big omission - Procol Harum.

Date Posted: February 22 2015 at 09:26
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I admit that, again, I don't know all the bands in the list, and a few don't interest me anymore

They're listed as Crossover
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1105

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 22 2015 at 09:40
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

They're listed as Crossover
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1105

that may be, i still think they're proto-prog Big smile

Date Posted: February 22 2015 at 10:04
Then you can make your own poll.  Big smile

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: February 22 2015 at 10:27
I'll give my vote to the Move, with a respectful tip of the hat to The Who, who influenced them greatly.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: February 22 2015 at 11:27
Arthur Brown

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 22 2015 at 14:07
Geesh.....another impossible choice.....I love at least 5 or 6 of those and like most of the rest.
This is torture. Confused

Ok....went with The Who.....

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: March 24 2015 at 04:52
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Geesh.....another impossible choice.....I love at least 5 or 6 of those and like most of the rest.
This is torture. Confused

Ok....went with The Who.....
The Who...Confusedtorture vote...

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: March 24 2015 at 06:51
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I went with Spooky Tooth mainly because of the line up and the great album Spooky Two.
Besides, they don't get enough mention around here. I'm glad you included them.

Now I know what the problem is. Can you repeat that? "They don't get enough mention around here", but maybe we should ask Captain Beyond why that is? Captain Beyond is a character on Doctor Who. Rod Evans who was a Tom Jones type was beat into shape by Deep Purple and in the end, receives more credit than Spooky Tooth any day of the week.

Posted By: Terakonin
Date Posted: March 24 2015 at 17:20

The Who for me, definitely. Daltrey is a brilliant singer, Entwistle and Moon need no introduction, and Townsend is a fantastic songwriter who knows his limits in regards to playing.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 00:50
Deep Purple is the best British proto prog (proto-prog=Hammond organ driven heavy rock that was played on late 60s / early 70s, mainly British, but can be detected in USA and other countries too) band in my opinion.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 01:13
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

(proto-prog=Hammond organ driven heavy rock that was played on late 60s / early 70s, mainly British, but can be detected in USA and other countries too)

That is the most daft and incorrect definition for proto-prog I have ever heard. I think we went through this before on this forum and decided you didn't know what you were talking about. It doesn't get any better the second time around.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 01:52
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

(proto-prog=Hammond organ driven heavy rock that was played on late 60s / early 70s, mainly British, but can be detected in USA and other countries too)

That is the most daft and incorrect definition for proto-prog I have ever heard. I think we went through this before on this forum and decided you didn't know what you were talking about. It doesn't get any better the second time around.
In fact e.g. The Who never were "proto-prog" in the second half of 60s. The Who were prog related due to the famous Rock opera from 1969 and due to their long and complex Rock songs with a lot of synths at their 70s albums, but they never had a touch of proto-prog sound as the bands as e.g. Deep Purple as well. In the second half of 60s, The Who were recorded some great Freakbeat songs but Freakbeat is not proto-prog; for example, Mr Townshend's "mini-opera" A Quick One While He's Away , I Can See For Miles  the song or Armenia City In The Sky  the song writen by John "Speedy" Keen ( from Who Sell Out  LP ) and indeed that's all Freakbeat, not "proto-prog".
Also The Pretty Things in late 60s were representatives of  http://www.allmusic.com/style/freakbeat-ma0000012342" rel="nofollow - Freakbeat , not "proto-prog". And that's not my opinion or my desire. That's an historical fact ; proto-prog(ressive) the term wasn't existed in 60s.
Proto-prog the term will appear in the mid 70s by the records dealers to firm at their lists that one of Rock (not pop-rock) styles of late 60s / early 70s. As I already said, it was Hammond organ driven, pretty heavy and "greasy" sound (with a mellotron too, but not synths - as a general rule), very often with a touch of Psychedelia, Jazz and Classical music.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 06:13
Ermm This is a Poll about who you prefer, not about who was/is best or first. 

I prefer Kaleidoscope ... they have been one of my favourite bands since 1972 when I accidentally bought "A Tangerine Dream" after hearing a German band with that name on the radio. Back then their albums had been long deleted and were incredibly hard to find, by 1974 copies of "A Tangerine Dream" and "Faintly Blowing" could be found at Record Fairs for £200 a piece (that's like £2000 in today's money). It's only since their entire catalogue has been reissued on CD that I have completed my collection.

We have established that Proto-Prog actually has two very distinct and different definitions. One is a very limited stylistic definition used by re-sellers of used vinyl at Record Fairs and the other is the more meaningful (in our context) wider classification that we use here. Confusing the two terms is wrong-thinking and using the "Record Fair" term here is misleading and disingenuous.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 06:21
I am a nincompoop yes this I know and to date I still don't not know what proto prog means? Ouch

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 06:29

Hammond organ driven, is July Morning original here with Ken Hensley proto prog? I bet I sound like an idiot I know. I am the worst ninny sorry Stern Smile but am very curious tho' xxx
uriah heep - july morning 1972 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzRrGNygjzs&index=3&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwMnzu3X4ADg_4lK7g75AIDM" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzRrGNygjzs&index=3&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwMnzu3X4ADg_4lK7g75AIDM

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 06:43
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I am a nincompoop yes this I know and to date I still don't not know what proto prog means? Ouch
In our context (and I must stress that), it is any band that produced music that lead to the creation of Progressive Rock as a distinct genre of music in the years prior to 1969. That date is an arbitrary "stick-in-the-ground" to give us a notional reference point (it is not cast in stone). 

You could say, for example, that the early Psychedelic albums by Pink Floyd are Proto-Prog, (especially Saucerful of Secrets), even though they later went on to produce Progressive Rock albums and we would not classify them as a Proto Prog band.

Our "Proto Prog" section is not a musical/musicological subgenre, it is a just a historic classification that acts as a safety net to catch those early bands that didn't "progress" onto becoming fully-fledged Progressive Rock bands.

The problem with going just by a particular sound (such as Hammond-rich keyboards) is that it ignores a lot of artists who did not employ such a sound, and as you point out with the example of "July Morning", miss-classifies Prog Bands that created hammond-heavy music after Prog was established as a genre (Take A Look At Yourself is a 1971 album - it is hard to classify an album that was released in 1971 as Proto Prog).

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 06:44

Inventing of Proto-prog the term for distinctive sound, historicaly, as I already said: 

(...)

(...)

Proto-prog the term will appear in the mid 70s by the records dealers to firm at their lists that one of Rock (not pop-rock) styles of late 60s / early 70s. As I already said, it was Hammond organ driven, pretty heavy and "greasy" sound (with a mellotron too, but not synths - as a general rule), very often with a touch of Psychedelia, Jazz and Classical music.

The PA's definition of proto-prog writen by Ivan Melgar - Morey:

Quote The denomination Proto Prog comes from the combination of two words, Proto from the Greek The earliest,. and Prog which as we know is a short term for Progressive Rock, so as it's name clearly indicates, refers to the earliest form of Progressive Rock or Progressive Rock in embryonary state.

These bands normally were formed and released albums before Progressive Rock had completely developed (there are some rare Proto Prog bands from the early 70's, because the genre didn't expanded to all the Continents simultaneously

The common elements in all these bands is that they developed one or more elements of Prog, and even when not completely defined as part of the genre, they are without any doubt, an important stage in the evolution of Progressive Rock.

Generally, Proto Prog bands are the direct link between Psyche and Prog and for that reason the Psychedelic components are present in the vast majority of them, but being that Progressive Rock was born from the blending of different genres, we have broadened the definition to cover any band that combined some elements of Progressive Rock with other genres prior to 1970.

Some of these bands evolved and turned into 100% Prog, while others simply choose another path, but their importance and contribution in the formative period of Prog can't be denied, for that reason no Prog site can ignore them.

Kati, it is up to you now what you prefer to accept as your definition Hug

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 06:58
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

In our context (and I must stress that), it is any band that produced music that lead to the creation of Progressive Rock as a distinct genre of music in the years prior to 1969. That date is an arbitrary "stick-in-the-ground" to give us a notional reference point (it is not cast in stone). 

You could say, for example, that the early Psychedelic albums by Pink Floyd are Proto-Prog, (especially Saucerful of Secrets), even though they later went on to produce Progressive Rock albums and we would not classify them as a Proto Prog band.

Our "Proto Prog" section is not a musical/musicological subgenre, it is a just a historic classification that acts as a safety net to catch those early bands that didn't "progress" onto becoming fully-fledged Progressive Rock bands.

The problem with going just by a particular sound (such as Hammond-rich keyboards) is that it ignores a lot of artists who did not employ such a sound, and as you point out with the example of "July Morning", miss-classifies Prog Bands that created hammond-heavy music after Prog was established as a genre (Take A Look At Yourself is a 1971 album - it is hard to classify an album that was released in 1971 as Proto Prog).
Dean, I quote you: "Our "Proto Prog" section is not a musical/musicological subgenre, it is a just a historic classification that acts as a safety net to catch those early bands that didn't "progress" onto becoming fully-fledged Progressive Rock bands."
This unfortunately still did not clarify my thick brain what proto prog means Ouch
Not turned into fully fledged prog rock bands, thus were the beach boys proto prog? (before you say no look and listen to this it's fab really Big smile The Beach Boys SMiLE Sessions - Heroes and Villains Music Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptxwWt2JeGQ" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptxwWt2JeGQ  ? xxxxx

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 07:06
I missed the fact that the beach boys are not British hihihihi LOL hugs Hug

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 07:10

Inventing of Proto-prog the term for distinctive sound, historicaly, as I already said: 

(...)

(...)

The PA's definition of proto-prog writen by Ivan Melgar - Morey:

Quote The denomination Proto Prog comes from the combination of two words, Proto from the Greek The earliest,. and Prog which as we know is a short term for Progressive Rock, so as it's name clearly indicates, refers to the earliest form of Progressive Rock or Progressive Rock in embryonary state.

These bands normally were formed and released albums before Progressive Rock had completely developed (there are some rare Proto Prog bands from the early 70's, because the genre didn't expanded to all the Continents simultaneously

The common elements in all these bands is that they developed one or more elements of Prog, and even when not completely defined as part of the genre, they are without any doubt, an important stage in the evolution of Progressive Rock.

Generally, Proto Prog bands are the direct link between Psyche and Prog and for that reason the Psychedelic components are present in the vast majority of them, but being that Progressive Rock was born from the blending of different genres, we have broadened the definition to cover any band that combined some elements of Progressive Rock with other genres prior to 1970.

Some of these bands evolved and turned into 100% Prog, while others simply choose another path, but their importance and contribution in the formative period of Prog can't be denied, for that reason no Prog site can ignore them.

Kati, it is up to you now what you prefer to accept as your definition Hug
Sventonio, I continue to be confused however atleast you came to a closer definition in terms what it means, even if some disagree xxxx Hug

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 07:12

Dean, I quote you: "Our "Proto Prog" section is not a musical/musicological subgenre, it is a just a historic classification that acts as a safety net to catch those early bands that didn't "progress" onto becoming fully-fledged Progressive Rock bands."
This unfortunately still did not clarify my thick brain what proto prog means Ouch
Not turned into fully fledged prog rock bands, thus were the beach boys proto prog? (before you say no look and listen to this it's fab really Big smile The Beach Boys SMiLE Sessions - Heroes and Villains Music Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptxwWt2JeGQ" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptxwWt2JeGQ  ? xxxxx
LOL I'm not going to get drawn into another endless, fruitless and pointless debate on The Beach Boys. They were an influential band that is not to be denied and the (staged) rivalry between Wilson and The Beatles cannot be ignored. But I cannot regard them as being specifically influential on the formation of Progressive Rock as a genre. Also, as you have since spotted, by being American they are not subject to this particular poll.

If you cannot see why some bands are called Proto on the PA and others are not then stop worrying about it. Rejoice in the ones we have listed and listen to their music for what it is - great music - if we went by a purely musicological (Record Fair) definition many of those bands wouldn't be on the site at all.

btw: I am not going to ask you to play "favourites" - there are two distinct definitions for two distinctly different purposes  - both are valid but only one applies here.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 07:28

LOL I'm not going to get drawn into another endless, fruitless and pointless debate on The Beach Boys. They were an influential band that is not to be denied and the (staged) rivalry between Wilson and The Beatles cannot be ignored. But I cannot regard them as being specifically influential on the formation of Progressive Rock as a genre. Also, as you have since spotted, by being American they are not subject to this particular poll.

If you cannot see why some bands are called Proto on the PA and others are not then stop worrying about it. Rejoice in the ones we have listed and listen to their music for what it is - great music - if we went by a purely musicological (Record Fair) definition many of those bands wouldn't be on the site at all.

btw: I am not going to ask you to play "favourites" - there are two distinct definitions for two distinctly different purposes  - both are valid but only one applies here.

hihihi Dean. true all you said plus The Beatles were at the forefront of progressive moozik :) the white album for instance they did whatever they wanted. But Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club was the first and foremost unique progressive album at the time, no one even imagined that. xxxxx

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 07:36
Anyway, enough of that nonsense.

Another band that is of interest is Hapshash & The Coloured Coat, though their music is perhaps a lot less well known than their art, which was far more influential and popular. Few people have probably ever heard their music but we can all recognise the posters and album covers they created for other people:

Big smile

So, to their Proto-Prog music:

Just listen to this track from 1967:

Sorry there's no Hammond organ there, nor is it "greasy" sounding - but doesn't that invoke the spirit of Krautrock (two years before it came out of Germany) Approve

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 07:44

Anyway, enough of that nonsense.

Another band that is of interest is Hapshash & The Coloured Coat, though their music is perhaps a lot less well known than their art, which was far more influential and popular. Few people have probably ever heard their music but we can all recognise the posters and album covers they created for other people:

Big smile

So, to their Proto-Prog music:

Just listen to this track from 1967:

Sorry there's no Hammond organ there, nor is it "greasy" sounding - but doesn't that invoke the spirit of Krautrock (two years before it came out of Germany) Approve

Oh yes I see what you mean with the artwork, the music however Confused

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 07:51
Ha! I cheated and googled a proto band thus found this but still not sure if I like it although I like the guitar tune on my right and rhythm guitar center. Nah no don't like this, I do like music with harmonies but nah not this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jvD1SdoqTo" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jvD1SdoqTo
hihihi guitar now almost Al DiMeola but not, actually it gets better now the song. Ha! Yay I DO LIKE THIS! I DO!
They are weird.

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 07:54

Ha! I cheated and googled a proto band thus found this but still not sure if I like it although I like the guitar tune on my right and rhythm guitar center. Nah no don't like this, I do like music with harmonies but nah not this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jvD1SdoqTo" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jvD1SdoqTo
hihihi guitar now almost Al DiMeola but not, actually it gets better now the song. Ha! Yay I DO LIKE THIS! I DO!
They are weird.
changed my mind they are very sharp, one or two tracks had enough now.

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 07:59

Hammond organ driven, is July Morning original here with Ken Hensley proto prog? I bet I sound like an idiot I know. I am the worst ninny sorry Stern Smile but am very curious tho' xxx
uriah heep - july morning 1972 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzRrGNygjzs&index=3&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwMnzu3X4ADg_4lK7g75AIDM" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzRrGNygjzs&index=3&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwMnzu3X4ADg_4lK7g75AIDM
Kati, the word PROTO in proto-prog the term at the time when the term "proto-prog" was invented in mid 70s by the records dealers to firm that late 60s / early 70s heavy rock with a touch od psych, jazz and classical music, meant not earliest prog" nor some "-yet-in-fully-prog" stuff.
It's like *symphonic rock* the term; "symphonic" actually doesn't mean that a symphony orchestra playing along with a band nor when a band playing the covers of Classical music pieces in the form of rock music. So that the "proto-prog" sound (term) - which in some cases we called *heavy prog* due to hell of reasons - actually was the style of Rock (not pop-rock) with heavy, sumptuously played, mainly long songs with long solos but without synthesizers (I repeat what I said earlier in this thread: no synths was a general rule - if the music contains synths it wasn't called "proto-prog") can be detected easily  after In the Court of the Crimson King  the album release dateup to 'til the mid seventies - and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY_R4jckXTw" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 08:01
found another so-called proto song, certainly not helping me in liking what I still cannot tell what it is, except thinking so far all songs the notes are sharp, lack warmth, lacking bass guitar tunes etc, all very blunt and not nice clear in my opinion Ouch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKroSJti39I" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKroSJti39I

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 08:05

Personally I love Art Nouveau so their psychedelic re-imagining of the Beardsley, Mucha and Klimt (and even Rackham) is always going to appeal to me. As artists they were hugely influential in 1960s London and on the Psychedelic scene, inspiring the psychedelic imagery & fashion of The Beatles, The Stones and Hendrix and many more besides.

I'm not surprised you didn't care for the music since you've not given any indication that you like avant prog or Krautrock music in general.

Prog is a very broad church and so by that any notion of proto- is going to be even broader. Few people like every aspect of Progressive Rock so it is to be expected that not everyone will like what influenced the formation of Progressive Rock. Every facet of what we think of as Progressive Rock draws its influence from somewhere and so restricting the idea of Proto-Prog to one identifying sound or style of music simply doesn't make archaeological sense, even if a nice tidy definition makes sense to people who sell and collect used vinyl.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 08:06

Kati, the word PROTO in proto-prog the term at the time when the term "proto-prog" was invented in mid 70s by the records dealers to firm that late 60s / early 70s heavy rock with a touch od psych, jazz and classical music, meant not "earliest prog" nor some "non-formed-yet-in-fully-prog" stuff.
It's like *symphonic rock* the term; "symphonic" actually doesn't mean that a symphony orchestra playing along with a band nor when a band playing the covers of Classical music pieces in the form of rock music. So that the "proto-prog" sound (term) - which in some cases we called *heavy prog* due to hell of reasons - actually was the style of Rock (not pop-rock) with heavy, sumptuously played, mainly long songs with long solos but without synthesizers (I repeat what I said earlier in this thread: no synths was a general rule - if the music contains synths it wasn't called "proto-prog") can be detected easily  after In the Court of the Crimson King  the album release dateup to 'til the mid seventies - and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY_R4jckXTw" rel="nofollow -
Oh no Sventonio besides the above you mentioned I have found no similarities to jazz that has heavy bass influence plus has tunes. I found this lacking so far in terms of what I found in bands related to proto-prog. Hug

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 08:19
Just to further pop the bubble of preconception and narrow definitions.

Hapshash's 1967 debut album was called "Hapshash and the Coloured Coat Featuring The Human Host And The Heavy Metal Kids"

Wink

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 08:20

Kati, the word PROTO in proto-prog the term at the time when the term "proto-prog" was invented in mid 70s by the records dealers to firm that late 60s / early 70s heavy rock with a touch od psych, jazz and classical music, meant not earliest prog" nor some "-yet-in-fully-prog" stuff.
Oh no Sventonio besides the above you mentioned I have found no similarities to jazz that has heavy bass influence plus has tunes. I found this lacking so far in terms of what I found in bands related to proto-prog. Hug
Oh and that song of which I posted the link as an example of proto-prog sound in my previous post is from the album released in 1975 by British "super-group" called Armageddon - already in PA as a heavy prog act LOL Hug

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 08:30

Personally I love Art Nouveau so their psychedelic re-imagining of the Beardsley, Mucha and Klimt (and even Rackham) is always going to appeal to me. As artists they were hugely influential in 1960s London and on the Psychedelic scene, inspiring the psychedelic imagery & fashion of The Beatles, The Stones and Hendrix and many more besides.

I'm not surprised you didn't care for the music since you've not given any indication that you like avant prog or Krautrock music in general.

Prog is a very broad church and so by that any notion of proto- is going to be even broader. Few people like every aspect of Progressive Rock so it is to be expected that not everyone will like what influenced the formation of Progressive Rock. Every facet of what we think of as Progressive Rock draws its influence from somewhere and so restricting the idea of Proto-Prog to one identifying sound or style of music simply doesn't make archaeological sense, even if a nice tidy definition makes sense to people who sell and collect used vinyl.

True Dean I do not know nor do enjoy Kraurock so far I know, but to sum me up in short, my favorite songs are Salisbury and July Morning by Uriah Heep, Roundabout by Yes, Parents by Budgie,  Carpet Crawlers and the knife by- Genesis,   Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird, King Crimson - Starless and Epithap, Al DiMeola - Race with the devil on a Spanish highway, Tom Waits - "Hold On", etc plus all if not all most songs by Corvus Stone, Pain of Salvation, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, early before 80's Bowie, Roger Waters, Miles Davis etc. Big smileBig smile   

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 08:34

Oh and that song of which I posted the link as an example of proto-prog sound in my previous post is from the album released in 1975 by British "super-group" called Armageddon - already in PA as a heavy prog act LOL Hug
Which blows clean out of the water any notion of it being "Proto-Prog" just because of how it sounds to you. Such a suggestion does a disservice to the band, the memory of Keith Relf, and other heavy rock artists such as Steamhammer and Warhorse (none of whom would be listed here as Proto Prog).

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 08:39

Which blows clean out of the water any notion of it being "Proto-Prog" just because of how it sounds to you. Such a suggestion does a disservice to the band, the memory of Keith Relf, and other heavy rock artists such as Steamhammer and Warhorse (none of whom would be listed here as Proto Prog).
You both made my perception of proto prog zero in what it possibly might be. Confused I'll ignore that term and think it's anything without orchestration plus warm tunes. Big smile

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 09:08

You both made my perception of proto prog zero in what it possibly might be. Confused I'll ignore that term and think it's anything without orchestration plus warm tunes. Big smile
It's very simple actually. Originaly, "Proto-prog" is the term for heavy Rock sound  without much of blues, without a pop-rock, without synths as a general rule ( i.e. rock music with kraut-like electronics could not be originally called "proto-prog", though Hammond organ, Mellotron, violin, harmonica etc. are welcome), but with fast rhythm & long songs that were singing by great Rock  "screamers", with infinity guitar solos played by huge number of Rock guitar masters of late 60s / early 70s, and with a touch of psych, sometimes also jazz and classical music.  That's PROTO-PROGHug

p.s. One of the best Yugoslav proto-prog style songs ever recorded:

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 09:17

It's not a perception, but a calculated reassessment on what bands actually helped in the formation of prog rock (hence the term proto-prog, "proto" meaning "first" and "common ancestor"). "Greasy" Hammond-playing "heavy rock" did not in any way lead to progressive rock movement as we consider it (usually beginning with In the Court of the Crimson King as a specific demarcation point); therefore, bands like The Moody Blues, Procol Harum, The Nice, Giles, Giles & Fripp, and even The Beatles can be considered progenitors of prog -- BECAUSE THEY STARTED BEFORE THE ACTUAL PROG MOVEMENT WAS RECOGNIZED (that whole "proto" thing), and not like the 70s bands we formally recognize as prog like King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull (post-Mick Abraham blues), ELP, Floyd (after their psychedelic excursions), etc.

So, one can't be "proto-prog" after "prog" came into existence, no matter what Svetty says.

Deep Purple can also be considered proto-prog, but not for the "greasy Hammond" sound Svetty is so enamored with. Rather, the baroque compositions, long instrumental passages and excerpts from classical composers (such as on The Book Of Taliesyn album) are what make Deep Purple "proto-prog" (not to mention Jon Lord's Concerto for Group and Orchestra recorded September 24, 1969). By the 70s Deep Purple retained some progginess but had pretty much slipped off into hard rock, particularly by the Machine Head album.

Svetty's definition is flawed because it does not take into account the music and the bands that actually led up to Prog. The earth is not flat, scientists have long ago reassessed the curvature of the earth and changed the science books to reflect that reassessment. The earth is still flat in Svetty's world.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 09:30

It's not a perception, but a calculated reassessment on what bands actually helped in the formation of prog rock (hence the term proto-prog, "proto" meaning "first" and "common ancestor"). "Greasy" Hammond-playing "heavy rock" did not in any way lead to progressive rock movement as we consider it (usually beginning with In the Court of the Crimson King as a specific demarcation point); therefore, bands like The Moody Blues, Procol Harum, The Nice, Giles, Giles & Fripp, and even The Beatles can be considered progenitors of prog -- BECAUSE THEY STARTED BEFORE THE ACTUAL PROG MOVEMENT WAS RECOGNIZED (that whole "proto" thing), and not like the 70s bands we formally recognize as prog like King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull (post-Mick Abraham blues), ELP, Floyd (after their psychedelic excursions), etc.

So, one can't be "proto-prog" after "prog" came into existence, no matter what Svetty says.

Deep Purple can also be considered proto-prog, but not for the "greasy Hammond" sound Svetty is so enamored with. Rather, the baroque compositions, long instrumental passages and excerpts from classical composers (such as on The Book Of Taliesyn album) are what make Deep Purple "proto-prog" (not to mention Jon Lord's Concerto for Group and Orchestra recorded September 24, 1969). By the 70s Deep Purple retained some progginess but had pretty much slipped off into hard rock, particularly by the Machine Head album.

Svetty's definition is flawed because it does not take into account the music and the bands that actually led up to Prog. The earth is not flat, scientists have long ago reassessed the curvature of the earth and changed the science books to reflect that reassessment. The earth is still flat in Svetty's world.
Ha! Thus it's the earliest form of Prog? Before the term Prog was invented? Big smileHug 

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 09:33

You are being too literal and need to be more conceptual. 

I cannot give you a definitive description of what Proto-Prog sounds like any more than you can give me a definitive description of what Progressive Rock sounds like. It's like trying to define what "Art" is - it is one of those Pythonesque "I don't know what it is but I can recognise it" type things.

One important thing to think about that is going to melt your mind is this: there is no such thing as a Proto-Prog band or artist. All the bands that are called "Proto Prog" (by either definition) made music that could (and is) classified elsewhere under "real" musicological subgenres. No one in their right mind would call The Beatles, Deep Purple or The Doors Proto-Prog bands, and no band since that time was ever formed with the idea of being a "Proto Prog" band. It is a classification not a musical genre.

You define Prog by what you recognise to be Prog, and you do that by listing all those bands you consider to be Prog even when there are no musical similarity between them. I cannot define what makes a band Progressive Rock but I can point to Floyd, Yes, ELP, Tull, Crimson and hundreds of other unrelated bands and say "they are Prog", (even when *some* of the albums they released were not Prog).

The same "issue" exists with most of our subgenres - how do you define the "sound" of Symphonic Prog or Eclectic Prog when none of the artists in those subs sound the same? Well, you can't - all you can do is point to Yes, Genesis and Camel and say "It sounds like that" or to Crimson, Gentle Giant and VdGG and say "It sounds like that".

Unfortunately we cannot quite do that here with Proto-Prog because not all the bands that created Proto Prog  type albums reside in the one PA category. As I said, there is no such animal as a Proto Prog band - just bands that made albums or recorded songs that can be thought of as precursors to Progressive Rock. But we can list some albums and tracks that fit the bill and point out the artists that made them.  So we can point to *some* of the albums by *all* the bands we have listed in Proto Prog section and *some* of the albums of *some* bands listed in other subgenres and say "Those are Proto Prog".

With all due respect to "Svetonio" (well, as much respect as I can muster), he has given a very definitive description of just one aspect of what we here at the PA would consider to be Proto Progressive Rock and no doubt as I type this he is writing yet another aggressively emphatic reply to you stressing this again. He is not wrong - that narrow definition exists in the world of buying and selling old vinyl just as the term "desirable residential area" exists in the vocabulary of the Real Estate Agent, but it is not a definition that works for the PA or in this Poll.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 09:36

This serves my point specifically. If one looks up Armageddon's 1975 album on any accredited musical site (even an uncreditable source like Wikipedia), Armageddon is referred to as "hard rock", "heavy metal" or "progressive rock". There is never, ever a mention of proto-prog. Ever. Never. Because the use of the modifier "proto" in any of its definitions must come prior to the actual advent of the specific genre (in this case, prog).

-------------

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 09:49

It's very simple actually. Originaly, "Proto-prog" is the term for heavy Rock sound  without much of blues, without a pop-rock, without synths as a general rule ( i.e. rock music with kraut-like electronics could not be originally called "proto-prog", though Hammond organ, Mellotron, violin, harmonica etc. are welcome), but with fast rhythm & long songs that were singing by great Rock  "screamers", with infinity guitar solos played by huge number of Rock guitar masters of late 60s / early 70s, and with a touch of psych, sometimes also jazz and classical music.  That's PROTO-PROGHug

You've been confusing texture with style since the day you joined the site Svetonio. Brown Sugar has a sax on it (it ain't jazz) Crazy Horses has a Synth on it (it ain't Electronica) Go Let it Out by Oasis features a mellotron (it ain't Prog) The Endless Enigma by ELP has a Zoukra (north african flute) on it (it ain't ethnic folk)
Maybe the reason for the dearth of synths in Proto-Prog is that they weren't widely available until AFTER Dr Robert Moog actually invented them and sold same to those (wealthy) emergent Prog artists who could afford them. What do 'fast rhythms' and 'long songs' have to do with artists who formed the bridge between Psyche and Prog in the late 60's? i.e. is a slow tempo and short song indicative of some reactionary impulse to return to beat groups with matching outfits and synchronized dance routines?

-------------

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 09:50

You are being too literal and need to be more conceptual. 

I cannot give you a definitive description of what Proto-Prog sounds like any more than you can give me a definitive description of what Progressive Rock sounds like. It's like trying to define what "Art" is - it is one of those Pythonesque "I don't know what it is but I can recognise it" type things.

One important thing to think about that is going to melt your mind is this: there is no such thing as a Proto-Prog band or artist. All the bands that are called "Proto Prog" (by either definition) made music that could (and is) classified elsewhere under "real" musicological subgenres. No one in their right mind would call The Beatles, Deep Purple or The Doors Proto-Prog bands, and no band since that time was ever formed with the idea of being a "Proto Prog" band. It is a classification not a musical genre.

You define Prog by what you recognise to be Prog, and you do that by listing all those bands you consider to be Prog even when there are no musical similarity between them. I cannot define what makes a band Progressive Rock but I can point to Floyd, Yes, ELP, Tull, Crimson and hundreds of other unrelated bands and say "they are Prog", (even when *some* of the albums they released were not Prog).

The same "issue" exists with most of our subgenres - how do you define the "sound" of Symphonic Prog or Eclectic Prog when none of the artists in those subs sound the same? Well, you can't - all you can do is point to Yes, Genesis and Camel and say "It sounds like that" or to Crimson, Gentle Giant and VdGG and say "It sounds like that".

Unfortunately we cannot quite do that here with Proto-Prog because not all the bands that created Proto Prog  type albums reside in the one PA category. As I said, there is no such animal as a Proto Prog band - just bands that made albums or recorded songs that can be thought of as precursors to Progressive Rock. But we can list some albums and tracks that fit the bill and point out the artists that made them.  So we can point to *some* of the albums by *all* the bands we have listed in Proto Prog section and *some* of the albums of *some* bands listed in other subgenres and say "Those are Proto Prog".

With all due respect to "Svetonio" (well, as much respect as I can muster), he has given a very definitive description of just one aspect of what we here at the PA would consider to be Proto Progressive Rock and no doubt as I type this he is writing yet another aggressively emphatic reply to you stressing this again. He is not wrong - that narrow definition exists in the world of buying and selling old vinyl just as the term "desirable residential area" exists in the vocabulary of the Real Estate Agent, but it is not a definition that works for the PA or in this Poll.

Dean, I did not say that those bands are what I perceive as prog, I posted specific tracks which some have the most continuous amazing changes and build ups, again for instance Salisbury by Uriah Heep I love that track and they only ever performed this live 3 times during David Byron and Ken Hensley era. That was not my indication to what I think prog music is, I am aware but I don't care what it means, accept as a tool to guide me to what I seem to prefer to listen which mostly is classified as prog but not all prog however when I do like it I can listen and replay it 24/7 nonstop too.  The tracks not bands parse was to give you an indication within those known bands, the music I prefer. Hug

I know what is perceived as prog music. Wink I believe Big smile

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 09:51

This serves my point specifically. If one looks up Armageddon's 1975 album on any accredited musical site (even an uncreditable source like Wikipedia), Armageddon is referred to as "hard rock", "heavy metal" or "progressive rock". There is never, ever a mention of proto-prog. Ever. Never. Because the use of the modifier "proto" in any of its definitions must come prior to the actual advent of the specific genre (in this case, prog).
LOL it doesn't metter if internet sites reffered Armegeddon as a "hard rock" band; yeah, their debut (and only one) album was released in 1975 but it sounds like heavy rock (i.e. proto-prog) of 1968 / 1969 / 1970. In fact their album sounds pretty "retro" for 1975.
Also, in 70s, the term *heavy prog* was not existed.

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 09:53

Dean, I did not say that those bands are what I perceive as prog, I posted specific tracks which some have the most continuous amazing changes and build ups, again for instance Salisbury by Uriah Heep I love that track and they only ever performed this live 3 times during David Byron and Ken Hensley era. That was not my indication to what I think prog music is, I am aware but I don't care what it means, accept as a tool to guide me to what I seem to prefer to listen which mostly is classified as prog but not all prog however when I do like it I can listen and replay it 24/7 nonstop too.  The tracks not bands parse was to give you an indication within those known bands, the music I prefer. Hug
Never said you did. You have hold of the wrong end of the stick Sonia. Wink

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 09:56

Never said you did. You have hold of the wrong end of the stick Sonia. Wink
damn Unhappy bah again? This always happens to me. OuchHug

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 09:58
Never got into Deep Purple or Arthur Brown. The Who it is.

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 10:05
I am fascinated by the word Proto, it's rare not to find a word which is not derived from Greek or Latin. This is partly due to why I could not understand what Proto Prog meant.

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 10:14

I am fascinated by the word Proto, it's rare not to find a word which is not derived from Greek or Latin. This is partly due to why I could not understand what Proto Prog meant.
Yea, maybe the word "proto" was used wrongly, but again - "proto-prog" doesn't mean something like proto-priest i.e. the student of theology who will become a priest, lol. It's not a child-prog which is not growed up yet. It just a term for distinctive sound, as same as symphonic rock doesn't meant a symphonic orchestra that play along with a rock band...

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 10:30

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek_language" rel="nofollow - πρωτο- (prōto-), combination form of http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CF%80%CF%81%E1%BF%B6%CF%84%CE%BF%CF%82#Ancient_Greek" rel="nofollow - prôtos, first), http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/superlative" rel="nofollow - http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CF%80%CF%81%CF%8C#Ancient_Greek" rel="nofollow - pró, before).

-------------

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 10:36

Erm... Proto is of Greek derivation - as in Prototype, Protoplasm and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-human" rel="nofollow - Proto-human . In literal terms it means "first" or "earliest" but is when used as a prefix it is generally accepted to mean "what came before"

Once again Svetonio gets it wrong.LOL

/edit: damn, Ninja'd by Greg LOL

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 10:40

Yea, maybe the word "proto" was used wrongly, but again - "proto-prog" doesn't mean something like proto-priest i.e. the student of theology who will become a priest, lol. It's not a child-prog which is not growed up yet. It just a term for distinctive sound, as same as symphonic rock doesn't meant a symphonic orchestra that play along with a rock band...

What came "before", Svetty, what came before. Like Indo-European languages all come from a Proto-Indo-European precursor. Proto means the same in linguistics as it does for any other field of study, like genetics and, not surprisingly, music.

There is a term "proto-punk" which denoted bands from the 60s and early 70s that influenced punk (not surprisingly, there is also a term "post-punk" that defines bands that were influenced by the punk movement).

-------------

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 10:57

It just a term for distinctive sound, as same as symphonic rock doesn't meant a symphonic orchestra that play along with a rock band...
Actually that's not completely correct either. 

Like it or not, Symphonic Rock is not a distinctive sound. At best you can call it an approach

There are many orchestral albums of symphonic (and philharmonic) orchestra's playing Rock and Pop tunes that are called symphonic rock and there are examples of rock bands playing with an orchestra that are also called symphonic rock. There also exists Rock bands that play rock versions of classical peices that are also known as Symphonic Rock and there are rock bands who create symphonic rock that are not Progressive Rock bands just as there are Symphonic Metal bands that are not Progressive Metal. We purposely called the subgenre here Symphonic Prog to avoid such confusion. 

This is why Ivan and his team does not accept every band suggested to them.

Wikipedia has recently changed its Symphonic Rock page so that it refers specifically to a subgenre of Progressive Rock - I believe this to be an over-reaction and a mistake, but with all under-damped second harmonic functions this will eventually settle upon a less one-sided definition. Amusingly the ten identifiers that Wikipedia lists as attributes of Symphonic Rock are "optimistic" at best (i.e. they're wrong).

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 11:10

LOL it doesn't metter if internet sites reffered Armegeddon as a "hard rock" band; yeah, their debut (and only one) album was released in 1975 but it sounds like heavy rock (i.e. proto-prog) of 1968 / 1969 / 1970. In fact their album sounds pretty "retro" for 1975.

Svetty, it does matter that accredited Internet music sites (not the odd blogger who is certain that Paul McCartney died in 1966), including Allmusic, RYM or even ProgArchives recognizes the term "proto-prog" as a precursor to prog. There is a general agreement regarding this across the goddamn internet. Look up every damn site you care to and see how Armageddon is defined as far as their musical approach: hard rock, Prog rock, heavy metal. Every site. It is pervasive. No one identifies proto-prog like you do, not even hippy record sellers with dusty cut-out bins anymore. They're mostly dead, thank god.

Historical reassessments occur all the time. We try to define things as clearly as possible. It is human nature and part of the scientific method. It is also a historiographical imperative. As far as music, every great movement was defined in hindsight. Bach and Vivaldi didn't refer to their music as "Baroque", yet music historians generally refer to the classical music between 1600-1750 as "Baroque". Even the term "classical music" was not a term Bach or Vivaldi would have used, because it wasn't considered "classical" at the time.

History is written in the present to define the past. All terms and genres for music were written and compiled after-the-fact. "Context" is a word you should learn, Svetty:

Context: the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed. 

Your view of proto-prog is not in context.

-------------

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 11:15

How very *perceptive* of you, and still confusing yourself in the process I see.

Heavy Prog is a madeupism, or to be more specific it is a neologism - a freshly coined term for something that previously didn't have a name.  

Like Eclectic Prog and Crossover Prog we created the term Heavy Prog after splitting out Progressive elements of Art Rock from all those arty bands that were not Progressive - and not surprisingly it is a combination of Heavy Rock (what the Americans would call Hard Rock) and Progressive Rock.

Linguistically it is called a Noun Phrase (where Prog is the original noun) with a particular meaning - it is not an adjective followed by a noun so "Heavy" is not a descriptive word, just as the word Progressive is not a used as descriptive adjective in Progressive Rock (it is NOT Rock that progresses).

/edit: bollox- Ninja'd again Angry *I*must*type*faster*

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 11:36

/edit: bollox- Ninja'd again Angry *I*must*type*faster*
Sorry, Dean. I have consumed way too much coffee this morning.Wink

-------------

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 11:55

Svetty, it does matter that accredited Internet music sites (not the odd blogger who is certain that Paul McCartney died in 1966), including Allmusic, RYM or even ProgArchives recognizes the term "proto-prog" as a precursor to prog. There is a general agreement regarding this across the goddamn internet. Look up every damn site you care to and see how Armageddon is defined as far as their musical approach: hard rock, Prog rock, heavy metal. Every site. It is pervasive. No one identifies proto-prog like you do, not even hippy record sellers with dusty cut-out bins anymore. They're mostly dead, thank god.

Historical reassessments occur all the time. We try to define things as clearly as possible. It is human nature and part of the scientific method. It is also a historiographical imperative. As far as music, every great movement was defined in hindsight. Bach and Vivaldi didn't refer to their music as "Baroque", yet music historians generally refer to the classical music between 1600-1750 as "Baroque". Even the term "classical music" was not a term Bach or Vivaldi would have used, because it wasn't considered "classical" at the time.

History is written in the present to define the past. All terms and genres for music were written and compiled after-the-fact. "Context" is a word you should learn, Svetty:

Context: the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed. 

Your view of proto-prog is not in context.
You did not understand me. I'm not saying that Armageddon not generally belong to 70s hard rock as same as e.g. Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath or BOC and that the internet sites who say so are wrong; they aren't wrong, especially not wrong in the time of multiplied tags. I just want to point out that 1) the style of that single album by Armageddon is not of a kind of hard rock which was generally played in 1975 and that the sound of the album is nicely suited to what the records dealers at that time named proto-prog" to firm that dinstictive sound of late 60s / early 70s at their selling lists ( they did not created a new genre nor they wanted to do anything like that)  2) I mentioned Armageddon's album as an evidence that the "proto-prog" sound was still exist until mid 70s even in UK.

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 12:18

You did not understand me. I'm not saying that Armageddon not generally belong to 70s hard rock as same as e.g. Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath or BOC and that the internet sites who say so are wrong; they aren't wrong, especially not wrong in the time of multiplied tags. I just want to point out that 1) the style of that single album by Armageddon is not of a kind of hard rock which was generally played in 1975 and that the sound of the album is nicely suited to what the records dealers at that time named proto-prog" to firm that dinstictive sound of late 60s / early 70s at their selling lists ( they did not created a new genre nor they wanted to do anything like that)  2) I mentioned Armageddon's album as an evidence that the "proto-prog" sound was still exist until mid 70s even in UK.

See, that's the difference between us. I understood what you were saying. I just don't accept it. Neither do I accept the tag "proto-prog" that a few record resellers decided to scribble with black magic marker on their flea market bins. That was not a defining moment or the end-all, be-all for the definition of proto-prog.

We are 40 years in the future since some amateur used-record vendors moved out of their mothers' basements and tried to sell scratched albums for a living. Musical genres, like prog or proto-prog, have long since been reassessed and redefined. The definition you are using is no longer valid, and honestly wasn't necessarily correct when the record sellers first used it. It is too restrictive, too ill-defined and it does not take things into historical context.

It is, in fact, not progressive. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 12:28

You did not understand me. I'm not saying that Armageddon not generally belong to 70s hard rock as same as e.g. Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath or BOC and that the internet sites who say so are wrong; they aren't wrong, especially not wrong in the time of multiplied tags. I just want to point out that 1) the style of that single album by Armageddon is not of a kind of hard rock which was generally played in 1975 and that the sound of the album is nicely suited to what the records dealers at that time named "proto-prog" to firm that dinstictive sound of late 60s / early 70s at their selling lists ( they did not created a new genre nor they wanted to do anything like that)  2) I mentioned Armageddon's album as an evidence that the "proto-prog" sound was still exist until mid 70s even in UK.

See, that's the difference between us. I understood what you were saying. I just don't accept it. Neither do I accept the tag "proto-prog" that a few record resellers decided to scribble with black magic marker on their flea market bins. That was not a defining moment or the end-all, be-all for the definition of proto-prog.

(...)
Of course that those ancient records dealers' lists aren't (un)Holly Bible, but PA definition of Proto Prog with The Who on that "proto" list also is not (un)Holly Bible nor the writer of PA Proto-Prog definition is (un)infallible Pope, lol.

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 12:31

Of course that those ancient records dealers' lists aren't (un)Holly Bible, but PA definition of Proto Prog with The Who on that "proto" list also is not (un)Holly Bible nor the writer of PA Proto-Prog definition is (un)infallible Pope, lol.
Simply put: if we didn't have Proto Prog section with that definition then The Who would not be listed in this site at all.

And since Iván's definition has been copied and reprinted on several other sites, his canonisation is imminent.

erm... lol.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 12:49

(...)

The point I was making, Moses, is that nothing is set in stone. I used the words "redefine" and "reassess" because that is what has been done and what continues to happen as part of the historical record.

Nothing is infallible, as you inferred, yet you still hold on to some archaic (and really silly) definition like Yahweh himself slapped you upside the head with the commandment:

THOU SHALT NOT PUT OTHER DEFINTIONS OF PROTO-PROG BEFORE THEE!

But as a reasonable music listener and as a musician, I find the PA definition of "proto-prog" far more reasonable than the short-sighted and fundamentally inaccurate definition by some 70s flea-market resellers. As a person degreed in English and history, linguistically the prefix "proto" is supported far more reasonably and in historical context by PA than your flea-market resellers.

As a reasonable person, I cannot hold to a definition that is no longer valid or does not make sense to me, particularly when a far more reasonable and sensible definition is available.

-------------

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 12:56

found another so-called proto song, certainly not helping me in liking what I still cannot tell what it is, except thinking so far all songs the notes are sharp, lack warmth, lacking bass guitar tunes etc, all very blunt and not nice clear in my opinion Ouch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKroSJti39I" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKroSJti39I

That style was called Freakbeat, a genre what I mentioned earlier in this thread.
By the way, Rick Davies is great as always....

And slightly off the topic - Kati, do you think that The Steve Miller Band would be in Prog Archives' Proto Prog section - as per PA' definition of *proto-prog*, of course -  due to their first two albums from 1968?

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 12:59
...hmm, this will be interesting...

-------------
What?

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 14:59
THE WHO

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 15:32

That style was called Freakbeat, a genre what I mentioned earlier in this thread.

And slightly off the topic - Kati, do you think that The Steve Miller Band would be in Prog Archives' Proto Prog section - as per PA' definition of *proto-prog*, of course -  due to their first two albums from 1968?
Svetonio, you have to follow the protocols and post Steve Miller in the Psych Lounge first. After approximately 50 years it will be considered for inclusion in the proto-prog category.

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 17:40
Gotta love Sweetonio for stirring up things in PA. Always in opposition, never on the winning team.

Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 19:03
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Svetonio, you have to follow the protocols and post Steve Miller in the Psych Lounge first. After approximately 50 years it will be considered for inclusion in the proto-prog category.
LOL Thumbs Up

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 02:06

Aww my sweet Sventonio, this time I think I am the last person here to answer your question. I am clueless here still as to proto actually stands for Confused
I however I do think Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle (1976) certainly has prog elements i.e. sitar and B3 organ, plus the moozik has a groovy sexy vibe Clap Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle (1976) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdB9lTUyshM" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdB9lTUyshM  hugs Hug

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 02:12

SteveG,
Now you just confused me more hahahaha ... LOL I was told by Dean that proto was before prog, the music term was invented (this finally started to make sense to me) thus prior to prog, bands can be proto thereafter none can be considered that Big smile hugs xxxxHug

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 02:21

(...)

The point I was making, Moses, is that nothing is set in stone. I used the words "redefine" and "reassess" because that is what has been done and what continues to happen as part of the historical record.

Nothing is infallible, as you inferred, yet you still hold on to some archaic (and really silly) definition like Yahweh himself slapped you upside the head with the commandment:

THOU SHALT NOT PUT OTHER DEFINTIONS OF PROTO-PROG BEFORE THEE!

But as a reasonable music listener and as a musician, I find the PA definition of "proto-prog" far more reasonable than the short-sighted and fundamentally inaccurate definition by some 70s flea-market resellers. As a person degreed in English and history, linguistically the prefix "proto" is supported far more reasonably and in historical context by PA than your flea-market resellers.

As a reasonable person, I cannot hold to a definition that is no longer valid or does not make sense to me, particularly when a far more reasonable and sensible definition is available.
The Dark Elf wow wow wow WOW~!!!!!!!!!!! Most tracks you posted on your website front page are my favorites! I promise, I have those tracks, just to prove that they are my favs you can check here my playlist too https://www.youtube.com/user/SoniaKatiMota/playlists" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/user/SoniaKatiMota/playlists  too Smile yay whooheeehiiiiiiii you are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love your taste in moozik jajajaja yep ahum yes si sim oui Big smile big hug Hug 

Aww also leave pls Sventonio be as he is so nice Disapprove more Hug to you!!!

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 02:25
Nirvana is an American band, thus how can we classify them as British Proto prog? They are not prog tho' nor punk, they were quite good and they were classified as Grunge I think. Smile 

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 02:45

Nirvana is an American band, thus how can we classify them as British Proto prog? They are not prog tho' nor punk, they were quite good and they were classified as Grunge I think. Smile 
Wrong Nirvana. Wink

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 02:50

SteveG,
Now you just confused me more hahahaha ... LOL I was told by Dean that proto was before prog, the music term was invented (this finally started to make sense to me) thus prior to prog, bands can be proto thereafter none can be considered that Big smile hugs xxxxHug
Steve is being sarcastic.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 02:55

SteveG,
Naughty Steve Big smile

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 02:56
That's one word for him. 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 02:57

Wrong Nirvana. Wink

hahaha this just proves how much of a ninny I am LOL I never heard of them, ha! Going to listen right now, thank you, Dean   Hug

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 03:25

Wrong Nirvana. Wink

hoh I like them! This I really like! They in my mind weirdly sound like Paul McCartney on vocals and King Crimson somehow Stern Smile

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 03:29

hoh I like them! This I really like! They in my mind weirdly sound like Paul McCartney on vocals and King Crimson somehow Stern Smile
good-good-good.

This one is fun - Nirvana cover Nirvana:

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 03:32

good-good-good.

This one is fun - Nirvana cover Nirvana:

Ha! hahaha thank you! Going to listen right now Hug

not bad but that beat auto 80's tune kills me, not as bad as others but argghhh Stern Smile it's club 54 on rollerskates too. Ermm

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 03:44

Aww my sweet Sventonio, this time I think I am the last person here to answer your question. I am clueless here still as to proto actually stands for Confused
I however I do think Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle (1976) certainly has prog elements i.e. sitar and B3 organ, plus the moozik has a groovy sexy vibe Clap Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle (1976) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdB9lTUyshM" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdB9lTUyshM  hugs Hug

Oh Kati, please forget just for a moment that awesome Fly Like An Eagle  the crossover prog song and that proggy album and especially  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfM8ZhHaqs" rel="nofollow - this amazing prog song which is my fav from Fly Like An Eagle Hug and pleeease take a time to listening to The Steve Miller Band's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvJmjdVD69U" rel="nofollow - Song For Our Ancestors   from Sailor.

You'll enjoy in the song, I'm sure, and also you'll hear how Pink Floyd was ripped off from The Steve Miller Band's album from 1968 ... Well, okay, it was just in favor of making Shine On You Crazy Diamond  more nice, isn't? Big smile

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 03:45
[QUOTE=Dean]
Dean, are Mott the Hoople, proto prog? This song specifically too?
MOTT THE HOOPLE - All The Young Dudes [ HQ remaster audio ]  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkqQj8Z_aVY" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkqQj8Z_aVY

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 03:53

Oh Kati, please forget just for a moment that awesome Fly Like An Eagle  the crossover prog song and that proggy album and especially  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfM8ZhHaqs" rel="nofollow - this amazing prog song which is my fav from Fly Like An Eagle Hug and pleeease take a time to listening to The Steve Miller Band's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvJmjdVD69U" rel="nofollow - Song For Our Ancestors   from Sailor.

You'll enjoy in the song, I'm sure, and also you'll hear how Pink Floyd was ripped off from The Steve Miller Band's album from 1968 ... Well, okay, it was just in favor of making Shine On You Crazy Diamond  more nice, isn't? Big smile
this is oh frickin' brilliant! I am so happy right now! Thank you very much, Sventonio!!!! Now why the heck is this not considered prog? Flippin fantastic this is!!!! Hug Going to replay yay again now !!!

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 03:54
^ It was an amusing distraction nothing more.

This is far more representative of the original Nirvana:

Nirvana (UK) were Baroque Pop - this genre of music was another important precursor to Progressive Rock and gives an indication of where the classical/symphonic elements of Prog had their pop/rock musical origins, unlike Freakbeat (which links beat music to psychedelic pop), Baroque Pop has more direct contact with Prog through bands like Procol Harum and The Moody Blues. Bowie's début album has elements of Baroque Pop.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 04:02

^ It was an amusing distraction nothing more.

This is far more representative of the original Nirvana:

Nirvana (UK) were Baroque Pop - this genre of music was another important precursor to Progressive Rock and gives an indication of where the classical/symphonic elements of Prog had their pop/rock musical origins, unlike Freakbeat (which links beat music to psychedelic pop), Baroque Pop has more direct contact with Prog through bands like Procol Harum and The Moody Blues. Bowie's début album has elements of Baroque Pop.
hahahaha today is a great day I love this so much! The vocalist reminds me so much of Paul McCartney really! I love him and love this too! God this is just so flippin' fab!!!! love love love!!!! Instrumentals too! I have no idea how I never came across them, now I want to go search more moozik they made!!!!!! Dean, you are just too fantastic, thank you!!!!!!!!!! Hug

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 04:07
[QUOTE=Dean]
Dean, this song I must dedicate to you ApproveHug
Nirvana (uk) - June  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuNfnFNcjn0" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuNfnFNcjn0
 this track reminds me of Big Big Train  album far skies deep time Smile

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 04:09
I had not yet voted above on the poll, voted Nirvana Uk now Thumbs UpApproveHug

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 04:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkqQj8Z_aVY" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkqQj8Z_aVY
No - too late to be "what came before"

Proto Prog is very much "of it's time" - these bands had to be producing music at a time (and location) to be influential in the evolution of Progressive Rock as we know it.

Finding later bands that seem to "fit the bill" is the major problem of trying to define Proto Prog as a style of music (which it isn't), it is a classification not a genre.

Genre  = style of music
Classification = bunch of unrelated styles (psychedelic pop/rock, baroque pop, folk rock, jazz rock, etc.)

It gets even more complicated than that. Two 1968 band can be playing an identical style of music - one is recognised as Proto Prog and the other is not. The reason for that is simply one of influence - the first band may have been better known at the time, or playing on the same tours as some of those emergent Prog bands. It would be very unusual to classify a completely unknown band as Proto Prog.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 04:23

No - too late to be "what came before"

Proto Prog is very much "of it's time" - these bands had to be producing music at a time (and location) to be influential in the evolution of Progressive Rock as we know it.

Finding later bands that seem to "fit the bill" is the major problem of trying to define Proto Prog as a style of music (which it isn't), it is a classification not a genre.

Genre  = style of music
Classification = bunch of unrelated styles (psychedelic pop/rock, baroque pop, folk rock, jazz rock, etc.)

It gets even more complicated than that. Two 1968 band can be playing identical style of music - one is 

Ok fair enough, however I love this song a lot Big smile also Bowie wrote that song for them and I adore him (except his 80's albums I must admit bah those are awful)
Mott btw rejected Bowie's first song written for them, called Suffragette CityWink hugs Hug

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 04:32

Ok fair enough, however I love this song a lot Big smile also Bowie wrote that song for them and I adore him (except his 80's albums I must admit bah those are awful)
Mott btw rejected Bowie's first song written for them, called Suffragette CityWink hugs Hug
Mott were an established band with four albums under their belt when Bowie approached them (he was a "fan" and heard they were thinking of splitting up). Prior to his involvement they were very much a blues Heavy Rock band as their début single from 1969 shows:

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 04:38

this is oh frickin' brilliant! I am so happy right now! Thank you very much, Sventonio!!!! Now why the heck is this not considered prog? Flippin fantastic this is!!!! Hug Going to replay yay again now !!!
I'm flattered with your positive comment, Kati!! Hug
Of course that The Steve Miller Band first two albums were / are considered prog! For example, well know British rock journalist Nick Logan wrote on those albums in The illustrated New Musical Express Encyclopedia of Rock ( Salamander Books, London, 1977) as "the cornerstones of progressive rock" as well. I had Yugoslav version of that great book, in fact the most comprehensive rock-publishing effort in the seventies Smile

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 04:40

Mott were an established band with four albums under their belt when Bowie approached them (he was a "fan" and heard they were thinking of splitting up). Prior to his involvement they were very much a blues Heavy Rock band as their début single from 1969 shows:

Yep that was very common at the time blues music, I personally am not of fan. hugs Hug

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 05:03

posting videos tsk tsk LOL

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 05:09

Well, for a start the track is not Progressive Rock - it's blues rock. Other tracks from their early albums were blues rock/acid rock which leads some people to consider them to be "psychedelic rock" (I do not). There is a certain "Englishness" to their first two albums that was inspired/influenced by the blues revival happening in London at that time (Cream, John Mayall, TYA, etc.). The first album was recorded in London, the second in LA and both were produced by English producer Glyn Johns, who also produced an early Prog album - Family Entertainment by Family. That Miller would be influenced by the psychedelic scene in London at that time is hardly surprising - what little Psych that can be detected in those early Miller Band albums is more English than American. For Miller to be considered Proto Prog on this site he has to be an influence into the scene that gave rise to Progressive Rock.

Gilmour and Miller are "mates" and I think that they influenced each other's playing to some extent - both are gifted guitarists with a bluesy feel to their playing. Song for our Ancestors was not "ripped off" by Pink Floyd but it there is a strong possibility that it influenced the opening few minutes of the 26 minute song.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 06:22
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

posting videos tsk tsk LOL

Guilty as charged. Embarrassed I use videos as illustration by way of example and admit to being heavy-handed this morning but only in the endeavour of "Educating Sonia" Wink

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 06:50

Of course that The Steve Miller Band first two albums were / are considered prog! For example, well know British rock journalist Nick Logan wrote on those albums in The illustrated New Musical Express Encyclopedia of Rock ( Salamander Books, London, 1977) as "the cornerstones of progressive rock" as well. I had Yugoslav version of that great book, in fact the most comprehensive rock-publishing effort in the seventies Smile
I tire of your misquoting from that (inadequate) book. He does NOT call the first two albums "cornerstones of progressive rock" he says (and I quote verbatim from an original 1977 English print) "two albums which are still regarded as milestones."  (note the full-stop/period at the end of that quote).

1. Cornerstone is NOT a synonym of Milestone - two different words, two different meanings.
2. The quote does NOT say they were milestones of progressive rock, it just says they were milestones (period). That could imply lots of things, for example: they were a milestone in rock (unlikely since they were not particularly successful on release) or the were a milestone in Miller's career (more likely).

He does say that Children of the Future was (and I quote verbatim again)  "...regarded as probably the best example of progressive rock from 1968" - and he says that without qualification and without citing who or where that regarding comes from - in other words it is his opinion NOT fact.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 07:22

I tire of your misquoting from that (inadequate) book. He does NOT call the first two albums "cornerstones of progressive rock" he says (and I quote verbatim from an original 1977 English print) "two albums which are still regarded as milestones."  (note the full-stop/period at the end of that quote).

1. Cornerstone is NOT a synonym of Milestone - two different words, two different meanings.
2. The quote does NOT say they were milestones of progressive rock, it just says they were milestones (period). That could imply lots of things, for example: they were a milestone in rock (unlikely since they were not particularly successful on release) or the were a milestone in Miller's career (more likely).

He does say that Children of the Future was (and I quote verbatim again)  "...regarded as probably the best example of progressive rock from 1968" - and he says that without qualification and without citing who or where that regarding comes from - in other words it is his opinion NOT fact.

Dean, I have it on very good authority that Nick Logan was told by a record reseller at a Bricklane flea market in 1976 that Steve Miller's Children of the Future was a cutting-edge progressive rock album, but that eventually The Steve Miller Band was to become proto-prog by the mid-70s. He then showed Logan his Proto-prog bins, and sure enough, there was Fly Like an Eagle.

-------------

Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 07:30
LOL

-------------
What?

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: March 26 2015 at 10:14

SteveG,
No sarcasm intended. In fifty years times, revisionist history will declare Punk Rock as the past's truly progressive rock music, Johnny Rotten will be declared an retroactive genius after dethroning the formally retro activated Gary Glitter and PA will be changed to the politically correct Punk Archives.

We will all be gone except for a lone retired admin who will haunt this site still munching on his popcorn and complaining about spam.
Now, you know that this last paragraph will be true. Wink   

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk