URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101589
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 19:06
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New site feature: social review comments
Posted By: M@X
Subject: New site feature: social review comments
Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 09:38
Hi !

I've implemented a review commenting section in each unique review page so you can interact with the reviewer publicly and directly bellow the reviews.

You can post using your Facebook credentials.

Let me know what do you think about this, as a reviewer or as a commenter.

Prog On !

Wink

-------------
Prog On !

Replies:
Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 09:58
Any notification setting that will send you an email if someone posts on your review?

-------------

Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 10:21
Not a fan of this at all.  My opinion is that people should spend their time writing their own reviews about the music rather than being able to attach "comments" that get billing right below the hard work of others.  It's like they get the last word on a review someone else took the time to submit, and I think that sucks if they get to inject criticism on someone's work.  If you don't like a review, write your own review. 

Reviewers should have the ability "turn off" this feature on their reviews, if they wish.  To decide whether or not to allow "comments".  JMO. 

-------------

Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 10:34
Ok, thanks for sharing. I will consider all the replies to make up my mind about this Thumbs Up

-------------
Prog On !

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 10:45
We already have a thread for people to give feedback on reviews that they like, and we also have a PM system, and I, for one, love getting PM's telling me how much s review was enjoyed. Makes my day, actually.

Therefore, I cannot really see what this feature adds to the site. It also, of course, could be used by idiots to merely dump negative comments for the sake of it, and, therefor, really ruin what is a lot of work which goes in to writing a serious review.

I think this is a very long winded way of saying I agree with Jim.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 10:49
I cannot but wholeheartedly agree with Jim and Steve. As Facebook is a breeding ground for trolls of every kind, I am afraid this new feature might soon turn into a free-for-all, and turn quite a few people off reviewing. Blogs can also attract nasty comments, but at least the owner is able to delete anything offensive.

Posted By: SouthSideoftheSky
Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 10:54
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Not a fan of this at all.  My opinion is that people should spend their time writing their own reviews about the music rather than being able to attach "comments" that get billing right below the hard work of others.  It's like they get the last word on a review someone else took the time to submit, and I think that sucks if they get to inject criticism on someone's work.  If you don't like a review, write your own review. 

Reviewers should have the ability "turn off" this feature on their reviews, if they wish.  To decide whether or not to allow "comments".  JMO. 

My thoughts exactly.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 11:07
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

We already have a thread for people to give feedback on reviews that they like, and we also have a PM system, and I, for one, love getting PM's telling me how much s review was enjoyed. Makes my day, actually.

Therefore, I cannot really see what this feature adds to the site. It also, of course, could be used by idiots to merely dump negative comments for the sake of it, and, therefor, really ruin what is a lot of work which goes in to writing a serious review.

I think this is a very long winded way of saying I agree with Jim.

I'll balance it with the short winded.

Bad idea man.  Check to see what happened to ESPN when they went to Facebook comments.  Most sane, and umm.. mature people now stay away. Kiddies and trolls man. 

Lots of potential problems and ZERO addition to the site.  We have a forum to discuss reviews, and threads to spotlight positive AND negative reviews.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 12:13
I understand... on MetalMusicArchives.com and JazzMusicArchives.com it's quite controllable (but it does not use the Facebook login though, it use the internal login forum login)

Would this work better than open Facebook login ?

-------------
Prog On !

Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 13:08
you are asking if your reviewers would like to be castrated or simply eat a .45 slug. One is messy.. the other quick and clean.

the result is the same.  You discourage reviewers who invest a helluva lot of time.. sh*t man.. they invest theirselves in the reviews. The least the site could do is have the courtesy to let them have their say and not have to defend their reviews.

You are no interet babe M@X... who the hell is going to use this feature.. those pissed off by reviews that either trash or don't show an album the proper love. 

to repeat .. what is the benefit to this?  Other than one person.. I've read of no interest in this idea.. and damn lot of opposition to it.  You have the mechanisms already in place to praise (not to mention PROMOTE) good reviewers.. and the mechanism to take bad reviews. Reviews not judged to be of the quality the site would like to see.. removed from the site. 

my happy two cents as alwasys!!

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:02
I understand.

I was hoping that reviewers would get positive comments to encourage them and congratulate them.

I will re-think my strategy and get back to you, and remove the new system

Tx for sharing

-------------
Prog On !

Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:14
Max, is there no way for individual reviewers to have a button to turn the feature "on/off"?   That would allow those reviewers who like the idea to have it, and those who don't can shut it off. 

-------------

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:24
I can finally tell everyone who gives Hand.Cannot.Erase 5 stars that they are wrong.

Excellent...

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:44

Max, is there no way for individual reviewers to have a button to turn the feature "on/off"?   That would allow those reviewers who like the idea to have it, and those who don't can shut it off. 

Yes !!!!!

This might work Wink

This would be a more "progressive" approach to this new feature ;-)

How do I handle the 200,000 reviews already on the site ?  turned-off by default ? 

-------------
Prog On !

Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:46
Check the kind of comments on MMA
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/review/piece-of-time/303304" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/review/piece-of-time/303304

-------------
Prog On !

Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:49
Is the function on by review or by user? If it is by user wouldn't having the function on/off affect prior posted reviews?

-------------

Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:52
Originally posted by M@X M@X wrote:

Check the kind of comments on MMA
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/review/piece-of-time/303304" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/review/piece-of-time/303304

Ooofta....yeah, this confirms my belief that it's not a good feature for a review site.  All of that clutter just detracts from the reviewers efforts....the review becomes overtaken really. 

No offense intended Max, but I don't think we need this at PA.  We have an active forum for people who want to discuss every aspect of music and reviews.

-------------

Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:52
BY USER, it would work for the current and past reviews, indeed.

-------------
Prog On !

Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:58
Then yes, set the feature for users to be off. Make the feature public, and it'll catch on. For those unaware, it won't affect them - for those that review enough and care enough or actually visit the forum will learn of the new feature and then be able to make the decision. 

Now to Jim.
I disagree about the active forum. I've brought this thought of mine to a thread before, but I just see the majority of the users here remain stagnant. Some of the reviews we see on the front page are by users that haven't posted here. Even the thread that shows appreciation towards reviews here is posted in by the same small group, people just don't post on the forums or know about/ or how to find the thread. Sure, there is a rogue post there every so often but I think by having a social aspect of PA that isn't connected to having a forum presence could be beneficial. 

I think that there can be ways to make sure trolling or strong harassment isn't a part of this socializing. 

-------------

Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 16:15
My concerns aren't so much about trolling as just the cheapening of the review section to the clutter shown in Max example.  It adds nothing of value.  It only detracts from the reviewers presentation and work.  It's the effect you get at news sites, where people joke that they pretty much skim the news story to get to the comments. 

My opinion is that our reviews are something kinda special and should be spared the social media clutter effect.  Don't we have enough outlets out there for that kind of thing? 

-------------

Posted By: Windhawk
Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 16:30
Personally I'm in favor of this. It makes interacting with the presumed reading audience easier, basically, and for me that is a positive addition. If it will be used, apart from on the most popular albums, is another case entirely I guess. But it is a proven success story outside of music sites, that leads to if not more traffic then at least invites to more involvement. That's all good in my book.

-------------
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 17:13
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Personally I'm in favor of this. It makes interacting with the presumed reading audience easier, basically, and for me that is a positive addition. If it will be used, apart from on the most popular albums, is another case entirely I guess. But it is a proven success story outside of music sites, that leads to if not more traffic then at least invites to more involvement. That's all good in my book.

Yea some people don't like to get involved in forums. 

Personally I like the idea. If some sort of flame war starts the reviewer should always be capable of turning off the comments though.

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 17:21
No harm in seeing how it pans out. It might even generate better written reviews.  Far too many knee jerk reactionaries round here pandering to the anticipated actions of fanboy idiots or trying to second guess trolls.
Even if it does go 'teats skywards' everything should be reversible in software.

-------------

Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 17:53
I will monitor / moderate alone at first and if we like it and it's popular I can add moderator to help.

-------------
Prog On !

Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 17:57
As a proud knee jerk reactionary, I really have no problem with it Max if you are willing to give us the on/off switch for Reviewers.  That would allow everyone to tailor their experience and allow Reviewers to have some choice in the matter. 

-------------

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 20:28
At the very least, we should have the option to turn it on and off.

But I'm definitely with Jim and the others who don't like the idea, if only for avoiding the `You gave me 3 stars, you obviously hated it, please don't say bad things about my album' arguments (which I've had a few private messages about), and the other issue, just plain good old fashioned sarcastic internet snark!

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 21:23
I thought the 'I really like your review' thread is sufficient enough for those that invest their heart and soul into their writings. Then again, who am I to say, I'm just a paranoid android.......

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 21:57
Yeah...this seems like quite an unnecessary "upgrade".

On/off toggling would be the optimal solution if this is going to be here.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 22:16
The idea per se is not bad and it might help increase the involvement of passive users who don't visit or post on the forum. Only that there should be a facility to block abusive comments. I have had good discussions on tennis in the atp or grand slam website's social section. So I disagree with the notion that fb automatically equals asinine. It will mean clutter but if it achieves the end of expanding review appreciation beyond a mutual admiration society, it's worth it.

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: March 07 2015 at 23:02
Once I suggested to have a "Thanks" button near each review and the "thanks counter" to indicate that at least some people read it.

Or make something like on Amazon:

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 08 2015 at 00:16
^ Amazon has probably copyrighted that idea......

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: March 08 2015 at 01:33
Somebody suggested a thumbs up or thumbs down in another thread.  The problem is they can be used to validate or invalidate a viewpoint without the person using the function having to justify their own stance.  I'd actually prefer the comments section.  It can be more interactive and meaningful if used properly by both reviewer and reader.  I don't give a damn about trolls or intolerant fanboys and I'd welcome legitimate criticism even if it basically takes my review(s) apart.  

Date Posted: March 08 2015 at 07:37
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Somebody suggested a thumbs up or thumbs down in another thread.  The problem is they can be used to validate or invalidate a viewpoint without the person using the function having to justify their own stance.  I'd actually prefer the comments section.  It can be more interactive and meaningful if used properly by both reviewer and reader.  I don't give a damn about trolls or intolerant fanboys and I'd welcome legitimate criticism even if it basically takes my review(s) apart.  

aye Roger...  there are some that wouldn't mind, even some nuts like me that would probably enjoy it. LOL  Big picture though, not everyone enjoys it nor wants it.

I have no idea what M@X's intent is. If there is one or just f**king with things for the sake of it. Does it add anything to the site IMO? I don't see a thing so I'd say No.  In the odd place that is the mind of Mick..  what should be the issue is what to do to encourage reviewers. Not discourage them.  For zero benefit.. if you risk even losing a few reviewers for the safety and ease of simply taking the reviews offsite to blogs and other sites (an already troubling trend for the site beforehand).. then the proposal is a bad idea IMO.

Now instead of pumping up the social media volume.. why not consider other ideas...  even something as simple as review of the week contests.  First off it gets views.. gets eyes .. on those reviews, it might stimulate more reviews.. and be something a bit of fun. The winner?  Give them some PA's swag... hell even make them an admit for a day LOL  Pump some interest into it if doing that is the underlying motive for this.

Of course .. we know the proposal is here to stay.  He who has the gold makes the rules. If it really were up for debate, it would have been been forth beforehand. So in that case I'd definitely 2nd Jim's notion that reviewers be able to turn off reviewer comments.

-------------

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: March 08 2015 at 08:39
^ I think it was a shame that the review of the month competition ceased.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: March 08 2015 at 08:46
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

^ I think it was a shame that the review of the month competition ceased.

I don't remember that... wonder if that was something after I left or was going on when I was still here but was so wrapped up in genre-team stuff I didn't notice it LOL

Well regardless... they should bring it back. That is a good way to drum up interest in reviews. Appoint a blue ribbon panel of voters... and make a forum spectacle of it.  That is how you can invigorate things and stimulate some action man. Not frickin social media that many of us ignore, actually seeking refuge from here in the hallowed halls of PA's. LOL

-------------

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: March 08 2015 at 08:55
Personally, I think one of the main problems is there are too many albums without any reviews whatsoever - even very good ones. Nowadays, with the availability of streaming, it is much easier for people who are so inclined to review albums without having to shell out for them, and without resorting to illegal means. Maybe having a weekly competition for Best Review of a previously unreviewed album might be a good idea. It would encourage people to branch out and explore, and give bands or solo artists a lot of much-needed exposure.

Date Posted: March 08 2015 at 08:59
so what do you say M@X.  Give me something to work with and some official backing for bringing back reviewer of the week/month, and something or ideas we could use for winners, and I'll run with this. 

-------------

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: March 08 2015 at 16:30
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

That was me, and it wasn't a suggestion, it was a possible option of providing feedback on reviews - based on the principle of 'was this review useful to you yes or no'. That is available on ProgPlanet, where it is used in a very limited way.
In fact, I prefer what is being proposed now, for the simple reason that some reviews and reviewers will benefit from it. First of, those who want to learn about how their reviews are received (that would be me), without having to dig through a forum thread of umpteen pages, will get their feedback if people see a need to provide it. Feedback through the 'report review' and 'I like your review' threads is way to indirect, and if you look closely, you'll see that only a small part of our community uses these threads - which makes it feel as if they are only there to hug each other (no offence, just stating facts).
Second, reviews that contain errors, mistakes or though provoking remarks get feedback on that as well - directly, without having to go through (again) endless forum threads, or through already overloaded moderators.
Based on MMA/JMA, I tend to think that feedback through the site itself would be more useful than through Facebook though - the option 'also post on Facebook' can go as far as I'm concerned.

And as for turning the feature on/off on per reviewer/user is fine by me, although I think that anyone who is willing to share an opinion (which is what a review in essence still is) should be open to feedback on that opinion as well. 

Good thinking, M@X, I hope this will stay, with slight modifications only. 

And now I tip my hat, and go to bed. 

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 08 2015 at 23:09
^ It's very easy to give feedback as the system stands (or stood).

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: March 09 2015 at 01:55
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

First of, those who want to learn about how their reviews are received (that would be me), without having to dig through a forum thread of umpteen pages, will get their feedback if people see a need to provide it. Feedback through the 'report review' and 'I like your review' threads is way to indirect, and if you look closely, you'll see that only a small part of our community uses these threads - which makes it feel as if they are only there to hug each other (no offence, just stating facts).

The thing is we still don't know how how would you get notified about these social comments, at least I didn't see any info about notifications, so at the moment going through recent posts on 2-3 threads in the forum is easier than checking out links to dozens of your own reviews which you would have to keep an eye on if someone commented on them. I don't know how would notifications work with the current system, getting a pm, mail or something from facebook seems like a bit of a long roundabout way of doing it, checking one or two webpages before you actually get to look at it on PA.

If PA had the same system like JMA/MMA along with internal login, then it would make more sense since those sites also have a feedback on the side called 'Site Interactions' which show who commented on a review recently or made something like that 'Shout' for example (which would be ok for people who don't visit the forums cause they could also post on the album page errors instead of looking for our 'Errors And Omissions' thread, everything can be reported at the place where you found the error/comment). I mean if the point is to make it more comfortable for the audience that doesn't go to the forums then JMA/MMA layouts are fine and people can mingle on the site with other people using review pages and even those fancier member pages without going to the forums but as it is on PA, I don't know how beneficial it is.

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: March 09 2015 at 02:44
^that is a technical matter that is easy to solve - by tying it I to the PM mechanism.

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: March 09 2015 at 11:40
mailto:M@X" rel="nofollow - M@X aka Harvey Specter from SUITS Big smile this is a brilliant suggestion! If moderated and if one has to sign in via email or social network account to comment, this could be a good thing! I doubt anything negative bad towards a review would be said because they will be using true accounts. Many people are too intimidated to post on the forum, this would bring more readers/listeners to the site. I believe a lot Collabs and prog reviewers would get much more praise for their well thought and inspiring work too. Thus overall generate more traffic too for this site Thumbs Up
Big hug to you HugHarvey Embarrassed

Date Posted: March 09 2015 at 11:44
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

mailto:M@X" rel="nofollow - M@X aka Harvey Specter from SUITS Big smile this is a brilliant suggestion! If moderated and if one has to sign in via email or social network account to comment, this could be a good thing! I doubt anything negative bad towards a review would be said because they will be using true accounts. Many people are too intimidated to post on the forum, this would bring more readers/listeners to the site. I believe a lot Collabs and prog reviewers would get much more praise for their well thought and inspiring work too. Thus overall generate more traffic too for this site Thumbs Up
Big hug to you HugHarvey Embarrassed

Stern Smile ok this sounded way less corny in my mind "Collabs and prog reviewers would get much more praise for their well thought and inspiring work too"

Posted By: Failcore
Date Posted: March 10 2015 at 17:40
I'm in favor this feature. As long as it's moderated, I don't see why getting comments on a review is scary. Just my 0.02, I hardly ever write reviews and when I do they're horrible, so I dno't really have a dog in the fight.

-------------

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: March 11 2015 at 14:32
Reviews stay in the home page for a rather short time. If once they are gone from the home page there's no way to follow them up I see the feature rather useless, you will see 2 or 3 comments per review at the most before they disappear from sight forever. Notifications to the reviewer are not much help since nobody else can see them and add to the discussion.

Only if the reviews with comments showed up in some kind of forum-like section, in sequence of 'review with last comment first' (same as forum topics sequence), for as long as the comments thread stays alive, I see it as a good idea.

I do not mind people commenting on my (very few) reviews. Most digital newspapers allow user comments on the news and although most of those comments are b*sht, sometimes the journalist can learn something from the comments made on his article by other people.

I also liked the idea of users being able to rate the reviews, this would encourage the competition for 'best review' or 'best reviewer'. Rating them would be much more powerful than just a 'thumbs up-down' or 'like' / 'was this helpful' button.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: March 11 2015 at 15:37
I don't really know how such things work (i.e. integrating Facebook comment feature, or how the internet business scene works), but when I first heard of the idea, I thought of it from a business perspective, which is where I presume M@X is coming from -- sure, the forum commentary keeps things nice and easy and contained in our own world, but opening it up to a concept like "Facebook" has the ring of expanding the site's penetration into the world at large.  From that perspective, my first thought was that it would probably be good for the site, even if it gave another door for trolls (the cost of doing business, say).  At least see how it flies for a while.

But most of the opinions posted so far seem heavily skewed in the other direction - essentially saying, no, we don't need that, we have all the feedback mechanisms we need, and what's more, we anticipate that the trolling will increase to a high degree, and our best and brightest reviewers will be dis-incentivized to even write reviews.  I hadn't really thought that part through, and while I don't truly think it would cause a major stir, in that light it doesn't sound like a lot of fun.  Plus, you gotta make the forum regulars happy, right? :)  We's the bread and butter of this joint.

So the "on/off" option seems ideal.  Interested to see if that comes through.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Sheavy
Date Posted: March 11 2015 at 18:49
Having to comment through Facebook is what I dislike most about this. I enjoyed and used this feature a lot on MMA and always thought it would be worthwhile to see how it goes here, but the last time I was on Facebook was when I first created a profile there some six or five years ago and I haven't touched it since. I'm certainly not going to log in there just to use this feature here.

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: March 11 2015 at 19:31
I just tried it to see how it works, opting not to post on FB (which I assume is what M@x may be intending to increase discussion on reviews etc). It's not bad but can't see any huge benefit apart from a tap at the back

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: March 11 2015 at 19:54
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Amazon has probably copyrighted that idea......
Most music equipment site use the same feature as well as iTunes, so I'm not so sure.

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: March 11 2015 at 21:12
No! Not the Book of Faces Sick!  Just a mild over reaction on my part.  This site is the only thing close to social media I log into besides buying something on line (family/friends keep telling me to join FB, but I tell them to email me or pick up the phone). 

I would like to see some of the great reviewers here on PA AND the music get more exposure, but not at the cost of anything that would distract from the music and reviews.  Of some of this thread I have read, the idea of reviewers having control of comments seems like a good starting point in controls or checks and balances.
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I thought the 'I really like your review' thread is sufficient enough for those that invest their heart and soul into their writings. Then again, who am I to say, I'm just a paranoid android.......

and this...along with PMs which I sadly have not done enough of...
My 2 cents worth or other equal currency.

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 12:28
I'm really not into aligning our wonderful P.A. site to social media. I feel it is the pussifying of America (and the world) to rely on these sites to get the word out. The average ilk of the folks who use them doesn't impress me at all, either. When I hear on the news that a prominent figure "Twittered" a statement in response to a particular story, I cringe. And what little experience I've had with social media hasn't been favorable. Using a friend's account, I once looked up an old girlfriend on a site that will be left nameless (Why advertise?). I then received a phone call out of the blue from this lady informing me of her mother's death and a pending memorial service. Rather than phone her back a few days later to R.S.V.P, I wrote her a letter that happened to mention my once looking her up on the social media site. Never heard from her again, so I suppose she assumed I'd been cyber-stalking her. So sensitive. A real nothing-burger set of events that jaded me on the social media scene. Let it be known that I'd rather reach out and touch someone by letting my fingers do the walking.

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 20:41
For what little my opinion is worth, I don't like this feature.  I don't use Facebook and never will.  I don't care that what a certain subsection of the Internet thinks of my reviews.

PM bad comments or write positive comments in the appropriate thread.  We already had that, right?

"Innovations" like this just make me less and less interested in the site, I'm sorry to say.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 02 2015 at 08:28
How does it work?.....I just clicked on a review to tell someone I agreed with his review and the social review thing doesn't do anything.
??

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: April 02 2015 at 08:35

Agree 100%.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: April 02 2015 at 08:51
After a few more minutes of thought I would offer this.

1 - Make relating it to FaceBook a checkable option, I, like many others, have no interest in FaceBook, but I would be ok hearing what someone thought about my reviews if it helped me produce better ones
2 - Give it selections of  - I found this review informative and helpful / I did NOT find this review informative and helpful (smiley face / frowny face)
3 - Give a selection to 'View reader's feedback'
4 - Limit the comments to 100 characters for brevity, any decent feedback can be stated in that amount of text without it becoming too much of a rant

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: April 03 2015 at 16:43
Ok...I'll try again...how does it work exactly ....I tried clicking on it under a review and nothing happened.
?

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: April 04 2015 at 06:58
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Ok...I'll try again...how does it work exactly ....I tried clicking on it under a review and nothing happened.
?

I'm not sure how it works either but I think it's designed so that a mild but discomfiting electric shock is delivered to anyone criticising Captain Beefheart, Frank Zappa, Jim Morrison, John Lennon or other holy ex-cows

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: April 04 2015 at 11:38

?

I'm not exactly sure how it works either doc, but that may have something to do with my lack of interest in this featureEmbarrassed 

Edit: Well I just clicked the first review on the front page and it lead me straight to a little commenting bubble underneath the review. Seems to work just fine.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 11:40
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

?

I'm not exactly sure how it works either doc, but that may have something to do with my lack of interest in this featureEmbarrassed 

Edit: Well I just clicked the first review on the front page and it lead me straight to a little commenting bubble underneath the review. Seems to work just fine.

Ok..I'll try again.....not sure what you 'clicked' on though..............

I clicked on link 'social review comments' and it took me to the review on another page...no place to post any comments...... what am I doing wrong?
Confused 

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 12:09
Same thing happened with me: I clicked the social review comments which lead me to a new page, where underneath the review was a small box to comment in.
I'm not sure whether you're doing anything wrong doc - maybe one needs to have a Facebook account in order for this to fly? Like I said, I'm not sure how this works, but I'll swing it by the admin zone.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 12:25

Same thing happened with me: I clicked the social review comments which lead me to a new page, where underneath the review was a small box to comment in.
I'm not sure whether you're doing anything wrong doc - maybe one needs to have a Facebook account in order for this to fly? Like I said, I'm not sure how this works, but I'll swing it by the admin zone.

That might be it...I don't have a Facebookie  account.  Wink
There's a place at the bottom of the page you get taken to that says 'social reviews' ,but I can't get my cursor to post anything in any box. It looks like it isn't completely there for me...?

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 13:41
^You definitely need to have a facebook account to leave a comment but I don't think that should disable you from seeing that box where people would leave the comment (right under the review and under the bold 'social review comments (0)' ).

The time when I'm not seeing it though is when I have Disconnect turned on which is a browser plugin that disables all sorts of user tracking that google and facebook do, and that's when I don't see that box at all. Maybe if you have something similar like that or an heavier adblock or something else that might be doing a similar thing and disabling the facebook box (in my case I'm talking about firefox).

Date Posted: April 06 2015 at 12:29
^ That might be the problem since I have McAfee security on my drive .....but I don't know how to disable any ad blockers or firewalls ...I'm basically ignorant about the inner workings of my computer.
Embarrassed

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: April 07 2015 at 21:16

^ That might be the problem since I have McAfee security on my drive .....but I don't know how to disable any ad blockers or firewalls ...I'm basically ignorant about the inner workings of my computer.
Embarrassed

Maybe, but usually an antivirus wouldn't have that much of an effect on a web page. Have you tried opening it in a different browser?

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: April 10 2015 at 11:26

Embarrassed

hahahaha! dr wu23LOL you are the double kick *ss version of Dr. Who, I am sure you can fix that problem hihihi hugs Hug

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: April 10 2015 at 12:59
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Embarrassed

hahahaha! dr wu23LOL you are the double kick *ss version of Dr. Who, I am sure you can fix that problem hihihi hugs Hug
Evolver likes this post.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: IO Earth
Date Posted: April 11 2015 at 10:45
Hi Dave Cureton here from IO Earth here.

How can I post about an upcoming IOEarth event on this forum.

Cheers

Dave 

www.ioearth.com

-------------
IO Earth
www.ioearth.com
[email protected]
www.facebook.com/ioearth

Date Posted: April 11 2015 at 11:56
^ Dave, depending on the kind of event you can start a thread in one of these sections of the forum:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=10" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=10  (gigs, tours, festivals)
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=19" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=19  (press releases, news , new releases).

-------------

Posted By: IO Earth
Date Posted: April 11 2015 at 12:12
its for an IO Earth Concert in May

-------------
IO Earth
www.ioearth.com
[email protected]
www.facebook.com/ioearth

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: April 11 2015 at 12:16
OK,

Late one month on this issueEmbarrassed... And like a lot of pillars on this site, I'm not thrilled, especially when aping such a hateworthy institution like fb and his evil owner not protecting private infos (M@X, fb = fesse du bouc Wink  & Tweet = twit)

Definitely not in favor of receiving thanks or hate reactions in a different channel that we already have... those often-useless comments like shown in MMA are sometimes even sparking arguments between those who use this feature

I don't review much anymore, because nowadays reviewing is really not what it used to be. There are so many ways to listen and discover an, album on the web, that most everyone can make up their mind without needing to read reviews anymore. As still the second reviewer on this site (in terms of numbers of written blunders), I rarely get reactions anymore, and TBH, I don't find that 90% of these reactions are totally uninteresting

So, in a few years, reviews will probably only be read by a few people (with lots of  - too much - time on their hands) looking for reviews that may not go along with their own opinions andtherefore will use these "reaction channels" to aggress the review authors. As one of the more conservative reviewers on this site, generally not giving many stars and telling that XYZ is not nearly as essential as one might think, I could be one of those in the first fire line

If those that are interested in saying something about an album, let them review it or PM the writer, no need to go public, IMHO.

read ya around

Hugues

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: April 11 2015 at 12:24
OK,

have yet to receive a "social comment", but how do we cancel (switch off) this feature?

.... before I get one LOL

Date Posted: April 11 2015 at 12:47
Originally posted by IO Earth IO Earth wrote:

its for an IO Earth Concert in May

Then a thread in this section:  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=10" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=10  (gigs, tours, festivals) is a good place to announce it.

-------------

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 03:15
Turns out we had nothing to be worried about. Since it's implementation I haven't seen one single member making use of this feature

.......which is great imo.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 06:11
made for some old fashioned good PA's times though while it lasted..

I think we all knew it wouldn't be used, but never let that little detail get in the way of a bit of demagoguery..  end of the earth rantings and getting pissed at the evil overlord himself.. dark M@X LOL

-------------

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 06:29

Turns out we had nothing to be worried about. Since it's implementation I haven't seen one single member making use of this feature

.......which is great imo.
Guldbamsen! I am so happy to hear from you/see you, I missed you so much and was wondering where you were Smile how are you, anyway?
A massive big hug to you, Heston Blumenthal Big smile
mhwoaaahhxxxxx Hug

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 08:49
Thanks Sonia nice to see you too! 
I've been busy with my studies the past year or so, which means I don't visit here as often. 
Oh and right now it's summer in Denmark, and it's so rare we get sun and warm weather up here. I'd much rather spend my vacation on the beach/in the garden than in front of a computerBig smile

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 09:44

Thanks Sonia nice to see you too! 
I've been busy with my studies the past year or so, which means I don't visit here as often. 
Oh and right now it's summer in Denmark, and it's so rare we get sun and warm weather up here. I'd much rather spend my vacation on the beach/in the garden than in front of a computerBig smile

While those of us more bearlike in game than in name are suffering in the sweltering heat ;-)

-------------
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 10:59
LOL
Oh don't worry Olav - I share your bear appearance and literally sweat rivers on hot days. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 11:24

LOL
Oh don't worry Olav - I share your bear appearance and literally sweat rivers on hot days. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it.

The sweating doesn't bother me...much...the feeling of having a mixture of cotton and tar flowing through my brain does however.

-------------
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:

Posted By: siddhivinod
Date Posted: April 28 2016 at 07:18
Nice thought.. But i have to try that it is working or not. Can you please explain detail about this with stepswise.Smile

Date Posted: April 28 2016 at 17:43
Originally posted by siddhivinod siddhivinod wrote:

Nice thought.. But i have to try that it is working or not. Can you please explain detail about this with stepswise.Smile

sure.. try this.

Take this review...

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=117496" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=117496

read it ... feel it.. absorb it.. 

then log into Facebook... go back to that review.. and in the social review comment section.. tell the reviewer how he nailed that review.. that it is fact was the greatest review you had ever read.  Hit thesend button and see what happens...

-------------

Posted By: siddhivinod
Date Posted: May 11 2016 at 01:30
Social reviews or comments is most important because of this we came to know what people things about our business

-------------
Sorry I'm a Spam from India

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: May 11 2016 at 04:51
I couldn't agree more!

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: May 11 2016 at 18:34
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

I couldn't agree more!
Ur sensual comments should be more important than ones by Indian Spam Supply.

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: May 15 2018 at 12:30
Hi, I recently received a comment from a band member (Mandy Morton of Spriguns of Tolgus).  It made me wonder if there is a way to find all the comments I have received for my reviews short of going to each review permalink.  Any help would be appreciated!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk