Not a big fan of that album. I vote for the 8-Bits Big smile

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: March 12 2015 at 16:18
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

its not a classic ELP album but its gotten howdown

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: March 12 2015 at 16:33
Hoedown; pure, powerful ELP! Abaddon's Bolera drags too much for my taste.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: March 12 2015 at 17:00
Two very different songs: the one short and energetic, the other a slow buildup.  Copland vs. Ravel, in a way.  Abaddon's Bolero is the one track I would like to have seen on The Return of the Manticore box set that was absent, the only one missing from Trilogy.  It gets my vote, a glorious end to one of my favorite ELP albums.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: March 12 2015 at 17:18
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

Abaddon's Bolera drags too much for my taste.
That's what I think too. I actually don't play this album as often as the first one because it ends in such a low note Ermm

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 12 2015 at 20:36
Hoedown

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 12 2015 at 21:15
Bolero

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: March 12 2015 at 22:45
I don't really like either song. Hoedown is rather annoying for me and an example of what I dislike in ELP. Abbadon's Bolero is OK, but whenever I hear it I wish I was listening to the classical Ravel piece (however, the live version of Abbadon's Bolero with orchestra is actually more enjoyable to me... though still not a match to Ravel's piece, of course). However, Abbadon's Bolero it is.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: March 13 2015 at 03:59
It slightly depresses me that people don't see this as a classic album. I know ELP are not always loved but this album is just immaculate from start to finish. Playing of all concerned is spot on the money and it even has a pristine sound quality that has barely been bettered. Just like Pink Floyds Wish You Were Here this is an ensemble album with no one trying to grab the limelight or trying to outdo the other.
Anyway to the tracks in hand.

Hoedown was first played by ELP in 1971 when the band started touring the states. From that point on it virtually never left their live repertoire. I have a ridiculous number of live versions! The one on the triple album is the one that ELP devotees gravitate towards but the album version is solid.

Abaddon's Bolero was a very deliberate attempt by Emerson at doing 'a Walter Carlos'. Composed as an orchestral piece with all the instruments replaced by synths. I love it especially the apocalyptic finale. The angel from the abyss rises! Yep that gets my vote.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: March 13 2015 at 05:15
I have a strong liking for Hoedown, but Abaddon's Bolero is one of my 5 favourite ELP songs, so...

-------------

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: March 13 2015 at 06:23
The two weakest songs of a great album. I prefer Bolero

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: March 13 2015 at 14:31
My thoughts as well, but put them up against each other and I'd have to say 'Abaddon's Bolero'. Both tunes have better versions in the live arena than the studio takes. Funny that this poll appears now, I just started the process of digging through my bootleg collection trying to put together a Live Trilogy album.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 13 2015 at 15:08
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I don't really like either song. Hoedown is rather annoying for me and an example of what I dislike in ELP. Abbadon's Bolero is OK, but whenever I hear it I wish I was listening to the classical Ravel piece (however, the live version of Abbadon's Bolero with orchestra is actually more enjoyable to me... though still not a match to Ravel's piece, of course). However, Abbadon's Bolero it is.
^this
Smile

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: elpprogster
Date Posted: March 13 2015 at 20:35
Trilogy is definetly my favourite ELP album, with such an elegance and sophistication that was never reched again in their history, although not so bombastic like the previous albuns.
Anyway, Bolero for me.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: March 14 2015 at 04:58
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I know ELP are not always loved but this album is just immaculate from start to finish. Playing of all concerned is spot on the money and it even has a pristine sound quality that has barely been bettered.

Clap

I couldn't agree more, my favourite ELP album and without doubt their best production.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: March 14 2015 at 07:22
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It slightly depresses me that people don't see this as a classic album. I know ELP are not always loved but this album is just immaculate from start to finish. Playing of all concerned is spot on the money and it even has a pristine sound quality that has barely been bettered. Just like Pink Floyds Wish You Were Here this is an ensemble album with no one trying to grab the limelight or trying to outdo the other.
Anyway to the tracks in hand.

Hoedown was first played by ELP in 1971 when the band started touring the states. From that point on it virtually never left their live repertoire. I have a ridiculous number of live versions! The one on the triple album is the one that ELP devotees gravitate towards but the album version is solid.

Abaddon's Bolero was a very deliberate attempt by Emerson at doing 'a Walter Carlos'. Composed as an orchestral piece with all the instruments replaced by synths. I love it especially the apocalyptic finale. The angel from the abyss rises! Yep that gets my vote.

I think Trilogy is their best album. As with the debut it's consistently good throughout.

Hoedown is my fave out of these two. A great fun track full of energy.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: March 14 2015 at 11:29
Their best album and one of the best Symphonic Prog albums of all times, the culmination of their sophistication and tasteful musicality blending rock and classical composition principles. And as has been already noted, their most band-oriented effort.
Abaddon's Bolero is deliberately and purposefully long, it would not be what was intended to be if it was shorter, the repetitive, slow crescendo and the gradual addition of synth layers was precisely its reason of existence. I like it quite a lot, but voted for Hoedown, a classic in how can you throw huge amounts of energy and speed in rock without distorted guitars, and spectacular to see live.

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: March 15 2015 at 10:11
pmub

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 15 2015 at 16:07
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Abaddon's Bolero is deliberately and purposefully long, it would not be what was intended to be if it was shorter, the repetitive, slow crescendo and the gradual addition of synth layers was precisely its reason of existence. I like it quite a lot.

yep... my favorite.. from my least favorite ELP album though probably their best funnily enough.LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: March 16 2015 at 13:17
Hoedown Thumbs Up

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Posted By: zwordser
Date Posted: March 16 2015 at 13:30
I'll also go with Hoedown, and agree that Abaddon's Bolero drags a little. 

-------------
Z

Date Posted: March 16 2015 at 14:40
BTW the orchestral version of Bolero was perhaps better than the Trilogy one, or at least more varied for those who may find the studio version a bit dull, repetitive and dragging (it was a bit shorter and with more variation of instruments).

Date Posted: March 16 2015 at 14:50
And this 1973 footage of Bolero is quite rare, Emerson with a cape on the Modular Moog and Minimoog and Lake with the Mellotron and another Minimoog (for what I have read they had also some pre-recorded backing tapes for this track which gave them many problems being the reason why they only played it in a couple of gigs in that tour).

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: March 25 2015 at 08:51
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

And this 1973 footage of Bolero is quite rare, Emerson with a cape on the Modular Moog and Minimoog and Lake with the Mellotron and another Minimoog (for what I have read they had also some pre-recorded backing tapes for this track which gave them many problems being the reason why they only played it in a couple of gigs in that tour).

That actually works pretty well and has always been a favourite the way it builds to such a thunderous climax. Stuff good taste, pompous bombast rocks! The Keith Emerson cape obviously died a rapid death - perhaps Rick Wakeman sued?

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: April 01 2015 at 21:37

Hoedown.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk