Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101683
Printed Date: May 08 2024 at 10:59
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Some more or less epic 1980's Genesis
Posted By: someone_else
Subject: Some more or less epic 1980's Genesis
Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 04:04
These three are - in my humble opinion - the best post-W&W Genesis tracks. Which of these would you pick?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 04:08
The Duke suite is the easy winner here.

Also Dodo/Lurker should be mentioned here. Best song on Abacab and superior to Domino IMO.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 04:46
This is too obvious - Duke will take the cake here, though the other 2 pieces are very good too, they have a bit more of a Pop orientation, but still Prog enough to please.

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 07:16
Duke's Travels / Duke's End by far, here some of the most intresting Genesis arrangements from their entire career

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 07:21
I went with Home/Second Home, though I think Duke's Travels is great.  I listen to "Second Home by the Sea" by itself a lot, I think it's a wonderfully structured instrumental.  It reminds me a *little* of the instrumental coda to "Cinema Show".  Go ahead and laugh.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 07:39
^

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 08:20
Dukes travels/Dukes end quite easily although there's nothing wrong with the other choices..

I consider the Invisible Touch album an abomination, but Domino is pretty good, moving through some nice changes and with good rhythmic stuff going on. As far as later Genesis longer tracks go I prefer Fading Lights.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 08:40
Duke's Travels but like Dodo better than the other two on the list.

Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 08:43
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Also Dodo/Lurker should be mentioned here. Best song on Abacab and superior to Domino IMO.

I chose for a 10-minute bottom line. But you have a good point: Dodo/Lurker is on par with the three mentioned and it belongs to the post-W&W highlights.

I did not include the 1990's Driving the Last Spike and Fading Lights either because these are ranked a bit lower in my list.

Btw, my vote goes to Domino, but it is a close call.

-------------

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 08:47
I like all three a lot, but in my personal hitparade Duke's Travels/Duke's End is still far ahead of the rest.

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 08:57
Duke, the only song that can be put in place with Gabriel-Genesis.

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 11:25
Duke's Travels/End followed a bit by Domino

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: 'PiphanyRambler
Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 13:12
+1 to Domino, one of my favourite songs of the Phil Collins era, followed by Home by the Sea. Duke's Travels is the one I like the least, I prefer the other parts of the Duke suite.
If Driving the Last Spike had been in the poll I would have voted for it. They're all awesome however.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 15:16

not seeing that as an option in the poll

Dodo/Lurker is great and I may well have gone for that if it was an option

Perhaps Fading Lights could have been included?

Voted for Domino.

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 17:21
Duke. Other are quite good but I feel pop orientation of 80's Genesis in them no matter how I try to overlook it. Nothing wrong with it, of course.

-------------

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 17:54
Any instrumental Genesis from this period is better than listening to Phil's singing IMHO.
Not a fan of Philesis although I've seen them twice in concert. Surprisingly.

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 18:32
A vote for the "Home by the Sea" duo. I, personally, prefer the "Mama" album to any of the other post-W&W albums. Well-blended use of up-to-the-date electronic technologies with lots of nice Banks work.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 19:43
Dukey

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 20:23
I'll go the obvious as well. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: fudgenuts64
Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 20:27
Going to go with Domino. Invisible Touch is a hit and miss album but that one is very good. Duke's Travels/Duke's End doesn't do much for me. I honestly think it's one of the band's weaker moments musically. Home By The Sea is really good, instrumental break is good and the reprise of the main theme works very well. 

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 21:54
I don't remember Domino much I'll have to give it a listen before I vote. Otherwise, I lean toward Duke's Travels/Dukes End. Second Home by the Sea is nice but the same sort of Neo-Prog that typified those times.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: March 17 2015 at 23:43
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

I chose for a 10-minute bottom line. But you have a good point: Dodo/Lurker is on par with the three mentioned and it belongs to the post-W&W highlights.

I did not include the 1990's Driving the Last Spike and Fading Lights either because these are ranked a bit lower in my list.

Btw, my vote goes to Domino, but it is a close call.

Besides, there's the full version of the Dodo song(s), with an intro and an extended ending... that way it should last over 10 min.

Date Posted: March 18 2015 at 01:31
Not on the poll list but mentioned several times - I love Fading Lights, such touching verses and an instrumental section that is killer.........thanks to Sir Banks again !!
I'd love the band to get together once more and do Supper's Ready - I'm certain they could pull off a superb version.......

Posted By: january4mn
Date Posted: March 18 2015 at 08:54
I went for "Home by the Sea/Second Home by the Sea". I love the Duke stuff though, and probably would have voted for that a few months ago, but I happen to have re-bought the self-titled album on CD recently (to replace the original cassette, which stopped working 20 years ago!) and enjoying it more than I thought I would. Domino is pretty good too, as well as the already mentioned Fading Lights and Dodo/Lurker.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: March 18 2015 at 14:34
Duke's Travels/Duke's End.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: March 18 2015 at 15:23
I would strongly recommend the live CD called The Way We Walk -The Longs. The versions of Domino, Home By The Sea and Fading Lights ( as well the slightly lessor Driving The Last Spike) are much better than the studio versions. Play Domino really loud on bass speakers and watch your house move!!

Date Posted: March 18 2015 at 15:31
^Maybe I should give that one a listen at last. Thanks for reminding me.

-------------

Posted By: progadicto
Date Posted: March 19 2015 at 19:51
The "Duke suite" by far...

-------------
... E N E L B U N K E R...

Date Posted: March 20 2015 at 03:48
can I just point out (again ..grrrr) that the 'Duke Suite' is not an option on the poll

As I understand it:

Behind The Lines
Duchess
Guide Vocal
Dukes Travels
Dukes End

that is it I thinkSmile

Date Posted: March 20 2015 at 05:22
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I would strongly recommend the live CD called The Way We Walk -The Longs. The versions of Domino, Home By The Sea and Fading Lights ( as well the slightly lessor Driving The Last Spike) are much better than the studio versions. Play Domino really loud on bass speakers and watch your house move!!
Love TWWW 'The Longs' - excellent Live document of the Prog side of Genesis from that period. Domino does work well in a live context.

Posted By: Altairius
Date Posted: March 20 2015 at 05:33
Home By the Sea, not due to any epicness, but just because it's the better song.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: March 20 2015 at 06:21
Home By The Sea/Second Home By The Sea! Mr. Collins' vocals wail on the thing, and its two segments and reprise are satisfying in their execution. It's the best thing on that album (the one before the next when the band basically imploded). Domino, though intriguing, gets waylaid by a tacky, annoying ending, and the Duke stuff is just that - stuff. Too bombastically ham-fisted for this fan (with the exception of Heathaze).

Posted By: progadicto
Date Posted: March 21 2015 at 15:58
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Love TWWW 'The Longs' - excellent Live document of the Prog side of Genesis from that period. Domino does work well in a live context.

Agree... 

-------------
... E N E L B U N K E R...

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: April 01 2015 at 20:29
Home by the Sea/Second Home by the Sea.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk