What annoys me the most in Prog...

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101788
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 04:10
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What annoys me the most in Prog...
Posted By: JD
Subject: What annoys me the most in Prog...
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 15:30
Just wondering what puts people off the most when hearing bands classified as Progressive.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Replies:
Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 15:59
Other: Doing prog by the book, which probably comes from the mindset that simply putting together a particular set of elements constitutes good prog. Nothing specifically constitutes good prog that doesn't constitute good music in general. Prog is a classification placed after the music's been made. Bands should not let tags confine them and it's especially ironic when they view the tags confining them as a kind of freedom. 

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 16:03
Yeah, this was my feeling:  nothing from the list, but a "paint-by-number" prog rock approach is annoying.

Posted By: Luna
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 16:13
Anything that sounds "decent" but forgettable. If I wanted something that sounded like a classic band, I'd listen to the classic band, damnit!

-------------
https://aprilmaymarch.bandcamp.com/track/the-badger" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 16:17
Rapid-fire drumming and distorted guitar riffs are some of the things that I favour in prog. Went with the vocals.

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 16:23
Growls are not progressive. Unless, of course, you are a Cro-Magnon growling at a Neanderthal.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Guy Guden
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 16:37
The Cookie Monster vocals...

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 16:38
Vocals have always been optional for me. I consider them to be just another sound 
that I'm listening to. If the sound doesn't fit the song then I could do without it.
I voted for the first choice.

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 17:15
i don't mind the occasional growl but it doesn't take too much more to become annoying. Sometimes it just ruins an otherwise good track.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 17:39
A dull or under mixed bassline can ruin songs for me (bands that eschue the bass all together get a free pass).

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 18:08
Crap vocals with crappy lyrics.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 18:09
Growly vocals. They maybe the thing that characterises a lot of Prog-metal, but all they do is make me cringe. The music is generally excellent, Messhugah being a case in point.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 18:16
Growly vocals or weak vocals.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 19:05
I find this very interesting. I created this poll after listening to Orbs - Asleep Next to Science. I was really enjoying the music and then those vocals came in. It really was hard to take. I wondered if it was just me but apparently I'm not alone.

-------------

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 20:05
Machine gun drumming, even more annoying than growly vocals.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 22:43
I feel all of these are aimed at prog metal, i mean the damn last choice makes it so obvious. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 22:51
Haughty prog fans.

-------------

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 22:54
The OP is clearly not a fan of tech/extreme prog metal/prog-metal in general.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 22:55
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Hey buddy !! I take it you don't like Dream Theater ??

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 22:58
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Yeah, this was my feeling:  nothing from the list, but a "paint-by-number" prog rock approach is annoying.

Agree and for me it eliminates a lot of prog----original approach and original playing is key for me.

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 22:59
The first response to this thread by Polymorphia hit the nail for me.

Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 23:01
Admittedly I wasn't trying to be coy here. If you read what I said in my OP "classified as Progressive".  I'm firmly of the opinion that there is way too much Metal music being classified as progressive when it really has no progressive leanings at all. Bands like Dream Theatre are, IMHO, Heavy Prog not Progressive Metal, but then there are those other bands with the several of the elements I've listed that seem to get lumped into the progressive genre. My intention was not to stir the sh*t but to see what specific elements are off putting to some listeners.

All hail Lenny!! (insert missing rock horn emoticon here)

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: March 27 2015 at 23:48
^Agree. Dream Theater is not Prog Metal. All of the above choices for me. Since I can't vote for more than one thing, I chose dull keyboard fills, because there sure are a lot of them out there. I do agree with everyone else about the raspy vocals, though.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 04:07
Sometimes I think drummers should have their cymbals confiscatedLOL

other than that it has to be overuse of MellotronSleepy

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 04:15
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Admittedly I wasn't trying to be coy here. If you read what I said in my OP "classified as Progressive".  I'm firmly of the opinion that there is way too much Metal music being classified as progressive when it really has no progressive leanings at all. Bands like Dream Theatre are, IMHO, Heavy Prog not Progressive Metal, but then there are those other bands with the several of the elements I've listed that seem to get lumped into the progressive genre. My intention was not to stir the sh*t but to see what specific elements are off putting to some listeners.

All hail Lenny!! (insert missing rock horn emoticon here)

Then again, there's just as much "Prog" being dished out these days that has zero to do with being progressive ie the prog-by-the-numbers approach as was mentioned earlier on.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 05:06

I find this very interesting. I created this poll after listening to Orbs - Asleep Next to Science. I was really enjoying the music and then those vocals came in. It really was hard to take. I wondered if it was just me but apparently I'm not alone.
Love that album.  I don't see the vocals as being "growly", though.  Take a bit of getting used to, but I enjoy them now.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 05:23
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Hey buddy !! I take it you don't like Dream Theater ??
Not a big fan, but I don't recall any drumming I found very annoying: if the drums are on background I don't mind, but I heard many songs where the "machine gun drumming" is really loud in the mix, it's like the drummer is hitting me in the head instead LOL

Posted By: LakeGlade12
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 06:12
None of the things on the list annoy me really. I guess apart from the good old mellotron I'm not that big on keyboard solos, so I will go for that. 

The OP should be saying What annoys me the most in Prog METAL. Wink 

Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 06:57
Originally posted by LakeGlade12 LakeGlade12 wrote:

None of the things on the list annoy me really. I guess apart from the good old mellotron I'm not that big on keyboard solos, so I will go for that. 

The OP should be saying What annoys me the most in Prog METAL. Wink 

Again, as I stated, these elements appear in some bands that are classified as other than "Prog Metal" incl. Heavy Prog, Crossover and sometimes, certainly to a lesser degree, Symphonic.

But for the record, yes, I am not a huge fan of the Metal genre. That being said, I have enjoyed some pieces by Symphony X and Adagio to name a few. But at the end of the day the Growly Screamy vocals really send me heading for the eject button more than anything else.

Thanks for all the feedback.

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 06:59
Love machine gun drumming!

Nothing really 'annoys' me about prog, but I guess I'm not interested in relatively new prog bands regurgitating ideas and formulas that were nailed 40 years earlier by far more imaginative young musicians.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 07:19
Between the options of this poll and the thread about "why prog isn't as successful as metal as an industry", maybe we should ask to the admins to erase the Tech/Extreme Prog Metal ressources from the database.
Maybe we should also erase the Experimental/Post Metal bands, and maybe Progressive Metal too.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 10:17
Is Genesis an option?LOL

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: infernalfrog
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 11:03
Jon Anderson voice and the 80's, ELP's 8-bit keyboard too.

-------------
Please, forgive my spelling and concordance mistakes. English noob here.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 12:21
Hi,

Heck, the voice is an instrument, or at least it was until "progressive rock" music came around?  Wacko

Cookie Monster? ... I would rather say that they need to hire a Guy to sing the one of his many themes all over again, specially the one on April Fools! Hindustani Annie wouldn't be bad either! Hug

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 12:40
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Between the options of this poll and the thread about "why prog isn't as successful as metal as an industry", maybe we should ask to the admins to erase the Tech/Extreme Prog Metal ressources from the database.
Maybe we should also erase the Experimental/Post Metal bands, and maybe Progressive Metal too.

I'm sure there are some here who might agree, for my part I recognize that PA has grown way beyond Prog to include a lot of music, so if the Metal stuff goes then why not Jazz / Fusion or Prog Folk (another genre I don't full understand the legitimacy of or need for. So no, leave them in and let the site attract more participants. I believe in tolerance and the right of an individual to make their own choices, understanding that not everyone will agree. That's why I don't go ballistic when the ELP bashing begins. LOL

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 12:55
Polls like this are the forum's death metal growl. 

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 13:46

Unfare of me to comment really, but, rapid fire drumming usually has be thinking - gosh that's impressive, is that a drum machine? for about 30secs  or a minute until I start thinking, 'won't someone please make it stop!'

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: twalsh
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 15:18

Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

I'm sure there are some here who might agree, for my part I recognize that PA has grown way beyond Prog to include a lot of music, so if the Metal stuff goes then why not Jazz / Fusion or Prog Folk (another genre I don't full understand the legitimacy of or need for. So no, leave them in and let the site attract more participants. I believe in tolerance and the right of an individual to make their own choices, understanding that not everyone will agree. That's why I don't go ballistic when the ELP bashing begins. LOL

Definitely the latter.  Inclusive, not exclusive.  And I still don't like cookie monster vocals, despite liking metal.  Of course, I am biased (as is everybody, one way or another) since the new CDs I've enjoyed since becoming a member have been in Heavy Prog, Prog Metal and Neo Prog

-------------
More heavy prog, please!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 17:05
I guess the dull options.

I don't like dull.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 17:27
Those who are hopelessly stuck in the past, and refuse to see the wealth of great music produced in recent times. Also, as David said, prog-by-numbers and those who think that cloning the sound of Seventies bands is a good idea. Though I am not a big prog metal fan, I recognize the importance of the subgenre for the development of modern prog.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 22:59
anything by VDGG---Wink

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 29 2015 at 02:50
^ Cloth ears.

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: March 29 2015 at 02:59
anything King Crimson did in the 80's

yours sincerely
Cloth Eared Nincompoop

Posted By: ProgCandles
Date Posted: March 29 2015 at 14:06
Screamy / Growly Vocals

PS. I would add a "Commercial sound" ))) This has become a popular issue in modern prog.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 29 2015 at 14:13
Honestly? It has got to be the endless discussion on what exactly prog isDead

Another seriously annoying thing is when people mix up Prog (noun) with (the adjective) progressive. 

Lastly, the lack of bassoons in modern Prog Electronic. 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk