Print Page | Close Window

Music to read to

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101798
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 00:02
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Music to read to
Posted By: DeepBlack
Subject: Music to read to
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 10:26
Hi all

I'm almost as big a fan of reading (mostly SciFi) as I am of Prog, & I enjoy combining the two.

The best music to read to is Instrumental & trippy.

I find Ozric Tentacles are especially good, also NoSound are great & I recently found Godspeed you Black Emperor too.

Long mellow songs are best, but I want stuff that is interesting enough to be enjoyed whilst not reading too.

Can you guys recommend any others?

Replies:
Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 10:30
Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream should do the trick.

......even if I don't read while I listen to music. I'm very much a man in that aspect - no sense of multitasking whatsoever (maybe apart from reading Naked Lunch while visiting the toilet).

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 10:40
I am not a manSmile, but I also hardly ever mix reading and music - though both have been among my chief interests and pleasures for as long as I can remember. As I generally don't treat music as wallpaper, I find that listening with some measure of attention prevents me from concentrating on what I am reading. On the other hand, I have found that cooking or doing crafts are the best complements to music, and allow me to concentrate on what I am listening to.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 10:54
Oh yes Raff - nothing beats cooking with a bit of music turned waaaay upBig smile The crazier the better. The only way for my Osso Buco to attain greatness is when it's made during either Pawn Hearts or LegEnd (Henry Cow). It's gotten to a point where I won't make it unless I can pop one of those albums on. Cooking for a couple of female friends of mine last year during the summer proved to be quite the experience (for them). I agreed to be the chef as long as I was able to connect my iPod to their stereo.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: infernalfrog
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 11:10
I used to read listening to Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue, Charles Mingus - The Black Saint And The Sinner, Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd - Jazz Samba, and some Mike Oldfield instrumental suites (ommadawn, tubular bells, crisis, hergest ridge).

-------------
Please, forgive my spelling and concordance mistakes. English noob here.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 11:41
Listen to some Tortoise. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 11:49
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream should do the trick.

......even if I don't read while I listen to music. I'm very much a man in that aspect - no sense of multitasking whatsoever (maybe apart from reading Naked Lunch while visiting the toilet).

Nooooo ... that would be Jean Genet, not Burroughs!

I don't read with music anymore either ... I like to concentrate a bit, although these days I can listen to music while doing something else rather mindless, like spending a few minutes with the kids playing World of Warcraft!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 11:51
I recently acquired some Jazz and Classical music LP's for that purpose but it already comes with a lot of reading material LOL

I never tried with electronic music, like David suggests, but it seems like a good idea especially if it's the ambiental electronic, it's less distractive Tongue

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: March 28 2015 at 12:50
I can't read without listening to music. My wife is the exact opposite. When we sit on the patio in the summer and read i have a Discman and headphones on. Today I was driving back from my Blues and Jazz Festival meeting where I volunteer as the Sound and Stage Manager and I was listening to Vidna Obmana - The River of Appearance. I had that exact thought..."This will be good for patio reading this summer". Pretty much anything instrumental works for me including Klaus Schulz - Miditerranean Pads which makes me feel like I'm in downtown Morocco or somewhere like that. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=7638" rel="nofollow -

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: March 29 2015 at 08:11
For me, getting out the bath for a pee is multitasking so I'm not remotely capable of reading and listening. I do however admire those folks who can apportion both activities effectively. What also might be informative: what sort of literature would be conducive to playing a musical instrument or composing to best effect? and if you're looking for music that would be preferable to lip-read to it has to be ....the Grateful Dead. Cue encirclement by apoplectic pitchfork wielding village voice subscriber idiots.

-------------

Date Posted: March 29 2015 at 08:30
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I'm liking the mental image of a couple sitting out on a patio reading, one with head phones on.  :)

I love being out in the garden with a cd player on in the summer under a gazebo

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: March 29 2015 at 20:58
Originally posted by DeepBlack DeepBlack wrote:

Hi all

I'm almost as big a fan of reading (mostly SciFi) as I am of Prog, & I enjoy combining the two.

I find Ozric Tentacles are especially good, also NoSound are great & I recently found Godspeed you Black Emperor too.

Long mellow songs are best, but I want stuff that is interesting enough to be enjoyed whilst not reading too.

Ozric Tentacles definitely. A good choice

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: March 29 2015 at 21:00
Biosphere

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: March 30 2015 at 06:40
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

As I generally don't treat music as wallpaper, I find that listening with some measure of attention prevents me from concentrating on what I am reading. 

I agree, you can't concentrate properly on both at the same time so, if I'm reading, then whatever I'm playing is relegated to background music anyway.

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: March 30 2015 at 07:53
i listen to my favorite bands to the latest chapter to any manga series (right now i'm with Fairy Tail and The Seven Deadly Sins (or Nanatsu no Taizai); i usually play a song or 2 that fit with what i predict the mood the chapter would bring forth, whether it be fighting, plot progression, etc. so yeah.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Gully Foyle
Date Posted: March 30 2015 at 08:28
Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: March 30 2015 at 12:11
For me to read, there has to be silence for me to concentrate. Can't do both.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: King Only
Date Posted: March 30 2015 at 13:34
I recommend Robert Rich and/or Steve Roach.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: March 30 2015 at 13:43

Hi all

I'd like to recommend s/t debut by Croatian band https://lizardsexist.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - Lizards Exist

Date Posted: March 31 2015 at 10:41
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

As I generally don't treat music as wallpaper, I find that listening with some measure of attention prevents me from concentrating on what I am reading. 

I agree, you can't concentrate properly on both at the same time so, if I'm reading, then whatever I'm playing is relegated to background music anyway.

I understand that concept, but after hearing some of the tunes/albums I read to so many times, my brain is pre-wired to accept the input. Most times I can hear albums in my head if I think about them. Much like movies that I've seen 5 or more times. The info seems imprinted in my memory so the actual concentration factor is very low as compared to the first few listenings where I spend way more energy concentrating on the music and it's elements. But I know it's not for everyone.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 31 2015 at 10:43
Music and reading don't mix for me. Neither does TV and reading. Reading is reading and deserves full attention.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: March 31 2015 at 12:10
Well certainly TV and Reading don't mix. TV is so damn annoying in and of itself it hardly goes with anything. Plus it's a visual medium as much as an audio one so there's that.

-------------

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: March 31 2015 at 13:59
I like listening to music while reading peoples arguments about music on the PA forum.

Date Posted: April 01 2015 at 09:01
Indeed I can't concentrate on reading if the TV is on, even if it's something totally vacuous (which most TV is & I don't watch much TV myself anyway). however I find reading & listening to great music works fantastically well for me.

Right I have a lot to work through with the suggestions so far.

I've given Klaus Schulze a really good go & whilst his stuff does meet criteria "A" - good to listen to whilst reading, sadly (for me anyway) it doesn't meet my criteria "B" - good to listen to whilst not reading too as well.

I've given his stuff a decent go through youtube (Timewind, Mirage, X, some of the Dark side's...) Only Dark Side XI was really close to good listenable without reading.

Plus most of his stuff is quite hard to find & expensive.

I'll listen to some other suggestions next

Date Posted: April 01 2015 at 12:02
https://lizardsexist.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow -

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: April 01 2015 at 12:06
You can't read to metal due to the head banging! Angry New age yes, metal no.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 01 2015 at 12:25
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

You can't read to metal due to the head banging! Angry New age yes, metal no.
If you're going to head-bang while reading I suggest using a paperback as opposed to a hardcover.Wink

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: April 01 2015 at 12:29

https://lizardsexist.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow -

Posted By: melotron98
Date Posted: April 01 2015 at 13:21
I like this one for reading/ learning etc.

Klaus Schulze's pieces like Nuff Said are OK too I think but e.g. while listenning to Timewind I can't concentrate on anything but the music Big smile

Date Posted: April 01 2015 at 17:27
The musical equivalent of white noise. May as well just have a fan running Wink.

-------------

Posted By: Green Shield Stamp
Date Posted: April 11 2015 at 08:36
I love to read with music playing in the background. However, it has to be instrumental, otherwise I end up listening to the lyrics and lose concentration. I tend not to listen to prog whilst listening though because it is too distracting in this context. So I put on one my Spotify playlists, usually a compilation of jazz by artists such as Miles Davis, Avishai Cohen, Branford Marsalis etc

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Posted By: TheRollingOrange
Date Posted: April 11 2015 at 09:39
I like to listen to ambient or similar music, or none at all if I'm reading, otherwise I can't concentrate. Tangerine Dream or Klaus Schulze often works for me.

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 21:24
I can't combine them Unhappy
If I'm lost in the book, I don't pay attention to the music...if I'm lost in the music, I don't pay attention to the book

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 21:35
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Music and reading don't mix for me. Neither does TV and reading. Reading is reading and deserves full attention.

agreed. On the other hand, listening to music and cooking?  Great combo.  Ditto music and driving.  Music and household chores, music and conversation, music and surfing the web, in fact music with everything but reading.

Date Posted: May 10 2015 at 03:04
Robert Rich sounds interesting (if such a word can be used for his style ;) )

Love the idea of 7-8 hours of music sleep too.

It's hard to know where to start with such an Artist though.

Filaments looks good, then there's Troubled Resting Place & Below Zero, and the "live" album Humidity.

Any advice?

Date Posted: September 04 2015 at 15:16
Found Soft Machine & Nucleus are quite fitting for reading & interesting enough (in the main) for listening in the car too :)

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: September 04 2015 at 16:12
I write in the silence; and though I always associate a character with a music, a song or a singer. 

Posted By: Rando
Date Posted: September 07 2015 at 01:54
Originally posted by infernalfrog infernalfrog wrote:

I used to read listening to Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue, Charles Mingus - The Black Saint And The Sinner, Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd - Jazz Samba, and some Mike Oldfield instrumental suites (ommadawn, tubular bells, crisis, hergest ridge).

You listed some Cool or Bop Jazz, I recommend Gil Evans - His album "The Individualism Of Gil Evans" (1964) is one of his best with two original compositions co-written with Miles Davis-

When I read I usually listen to Debussy or New Age artists like Iasos and Constance Demby.

Smile

-------------
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -

Posted By: Stann
Date Posted: September 09 2015 at 17:35
ENO  Discrete Music

About as bland and un-involving as it gets

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: September 17 2015 at 07:20
To block out white noise and the usual city sounds, I've taken to putting on Bill Evans albums - both solo and trio - at a low enough volume that I don't focus on it but loud enough to drown the town.  I love Evans and understand why someone would want to give him full attention, but his stuff is so soothing and conducive to meditation.....and reading often gets to that level of focus. 

Couldn't imagine reading to Nucleus or Gil Evans....or Miles and Mingus, but Eno's Discreet Music or his Ambient series also does the trick.....but the volume level is key. 

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk