Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101981
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 09:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Lucky Man vs. Give A Little Bit
Posted By: Xonty
Subject: Lucky Man vs. Give A Little Bit
Date Posted: April 14 2015 at 16:53
Two acoustic numbers by English prog bands that seem to still be relatively well known by the public. Which is your favourite? (Supertramp ftw!! Smile)

Replies:
Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: April 14 2015 at 16:54
We all know what the correct answer is, hard as it is to make:

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: April 14 2015 at 16:56
ELP

-------------

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: April 14 2015 at 16:59
I love both songs, and both are classics in their own right, but I go with Lucky Man

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: April 14 2015 at 17:03
Oh yeah, we gotta sing...

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: April 14 2015 at 17:18
"Lucky Man," by far. I can't stand Hodgson's voice. Tongue

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: April 14 2015 at 17:32
Eee eL Pee

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: April 14 2015 at 17:34
ELP

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: April 14 2015 at 18:04
Gee, I think this is the first vote for ELP I have ever delivered here. Lucky Man easily...

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: April 14 2015 at 18:04
both are great, but Supertramp takes the cake here.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: April 14 2015 at 18:25
Lucky Man!

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: twalsh
Date Posted: April 14 2015 at 19:17
I never really liked Lucky Man, sorry.  Silly keyboards and otherwise dull.  Supertramp, all the way!

-------------
More heavy prog, please!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: April 14 2015 at 19:31
ELP

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: April 14 2015 at 19:55
Supertramp; a perfect pop song.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: April 14 2015 at 20:42
Lucky Man

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 14 2015 at 22:18
Lucky Man, except for Emerson's ugly and unnecessary solo at the end.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: April 14 2015 at 23:20
Lucky Man. I do prefer his deeper voice. The synth lead is a milestone (although I agree it doesn't seem like it goes with the song). I would just generally get more excited if it were to crop up somewhere. I hear Give A Little Bit is played quite frequently on one of our local stations. It's nice, no big deal. I can't remember the last time I listened to either of the albums.

Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 00:23
Give A Little Bit doesn't even fit the Even In The Quietest Moments album. It's a poppy love-affair that has no reason to be on Quietest

ELP.

-------------
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: Cailyn
Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 00:48
ELP by a mile.  But yes, the synth solo was unnecessary and not very good, especially for Emerson.  The ending in general was a crap finish to a great prog pop song.

-------------
http://www.cailynmusic.com

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 00:53
One more vote for Lucky Man.
What a great song!

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 01:14
Adding to the strong Lucky lead.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 02:43
Give a Little Bit is the opening song on Even in the Quietest Moments (1977). Geek

And it gets my vote.

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 02:47
Both good, but I like Lucky Man better.

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 04:42
Lucky Man, speaking of which check out this Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich song from Top of the Pops in July 1970, which was before Lucky Man came out. An acoustic-based pop song with a solo on an Emerson-style telephone exchange Moog. Were ELP watching? Shocked

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 05:31
Love Emerson's solo, love it!!

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 08:08
Lucky man.

I can tolerate Give a little, but it's not really in the same league.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 08:22
Lucky Man is a fortune cookie with delusions of being a three tiered wedding cake. The only reason such a gauche and slender composition is writ large in the collective Prog memory is because of the Moog outro.
Lake wrote this number when he was just 13 years old (which doesn't make it a bad song of course, but it's really a bo-toxed three chord trick all said and done)

I think Supertramp are irredeemably s.h.i.t.e so didn't vote

-------------

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 12:14
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Lucky Man is a fortune cookie with delusions of being a three tiered wedding cake. The only reason such a gauche and slender composition is writ large in the collective Prog memory is because of the Moog outro.
Lake wrote this number when he was just 13 years old (which doesn't make it a bad song of course, but it's really a bo-toxed three chord trick all said and done)

Gee ExittheLemming, got some feelings to get out? Smile

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 16:05
Lucky Man ......as someone else said I never cared for Hodgsons's voice.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 16:47
Lucky Man, easily. No contest! One of my absolute favourite ELP tracks. Supertramp I don't like much at all.

-------------

Posted By: JesusisLord
Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 23:25
Love Supertramp…Hate Give a little Bit !!!

-------------
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2:11

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 00:46
Originally posted by JesusisLord JesusisLord wrote:

Love Supertramp…Hate Give a little Bit !!!

Amusing analyses.
I'm not a big fan of the Supertramp 'hits' (bar Dreamer, such a good song this one), but most of the other album tracks are very good, if not excellent.
My vote goes to ELP, if only for the Moog outro !!

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 02:02
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

Lucky Man, speaking of which check out this Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich song from Top of the Pops in July 1970, which was before Lucky Man came out. An acoustic-based pop song with a solo on an Emerson-style telephone exchange Moog. Were ELP watching? Shocked

As I'm sure you know the song was written by Greg Lake when he was 12 but Fripp wouldn't let him include it in Crimson (surprise surprise!) so ELP included when they were short of a track on the album. The recording of the album took place between July and September so its certainly not out of the question that ELP saw that TOTP appearance and may have gained some 'inspiration' (although I have to say its pretty horrible!).

For me the only thing I like about the song is the synth solo. The lyrics are as you would expect very child like and simplistic. Emerson made it what it is .. a staple prog radio classic. BTW apparently it charted at No 20 in The Netherlands!

I do like that Supertramp song probably more for the multi layering of acoustic guitar more than the song itself.
So I guess ELP but I can't get that excited either way.

Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 08:50
I'm surprised that several people only like Lucky Man because of Emerson's outro.
I mean, I love the outro, but I also like Lake's simple, folky songs, including Lucky Man.

What I always loved about ELP is the contrast between the complex, high energy compositions of Emerson and the more simpler harmonious, slower-paced compositions of Lake, and the contrast between the two comes to full effect on the Tarkus suite IMHO, but also in Lucky Man as album closer after the more complex Emerson compositions on ELP's debut.

Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 08:56
Originally posted by tboyd1802 tboyd1802 wrote:

Gee ExittheLemming, got some feelings to get out? Smile

Yes, I clearly have issues with pretending to say conciliatory things about stuff I don't care for when asked for my opinionConfused

-------------

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 09:32

These sentiments mirror my own.

Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 09:38
^ Welcome to your dotage compadreWink

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 09:51

It's actually got 4 chords - two in the verse and two in the chorus. Having said that, they're all simple enough for someone of limited ability on the guitar (i.e. me) to play.

Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 10:03
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

It's actually got 4 chords - two in the verse and two in the chorus. Having said that, they're all simple enough for someone of limited ability on the guitar (i.e. me) to play.

I happily admit you are correct and yes, I did know that but 'four chord trick' just doesn't carry the same pejorative weight ya dig?

-------------

Posted By: fudgenuts64
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 11:59
Really can't get into Supertramp. I was really surprised when I figured out THEY made that song. ELP for this dude.

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 14:45
It's interesting comparing two pop songs by essentially proggy bands.  I really like supertramp and always surprised to find others who do not and still like similar music.  That said, i usually prefer their proggier tracks.  for some reason, this is an exception and I've always enjoyed it.  that said, it's no "Crime of the Century," "Fool's Overture," or "Child of Vision."  But far better than "Dreamer" or "Goodbye, Stranger."

-------------
More heavy prog, please!

Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 02:12
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

What I always loved about ELP is the contrast between the complex, high energy compositions of Emerson and the more simpler harmonious, slower-paced compositions of Lake, and the contrast between the two comes to full effect on the Tarkus suite IMHO, but also in Lucky Man as album closer after the more complex Emerson compositions on ELP's debut.

Indeed that contrast was and still is very important to me. The Sage and The Old Castle is probably my favourite contrasting pieces of ELP although Toccata and Still You Turn Me On runs it a close second. Emerson was well aware of the importance of this. I also think one of the biggest issues with Works Volume One is that you lose this very quality except oddly on Carl Palmers side where he slips in a couple of calmer tracks amongst the 'chaos'.

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 05:40
Lucky Man is okay I guess. Give a Little Bit is lovely, so it was a very easy pick. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 08:25
Lucky Man , of course

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 18:18
Lucky Man by a nose.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: docall27
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 21:49
I can't vote yet but ELP if I could.

Date Posted: April 18 2015 at 03:06
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Indeed that contrast was and still is very important to me. The Sage and The Old Castle is probably my favourite contrasting pieces of ELP although Toccata and Still You Turn Me On runs it a close second. Emerson was well aware of the importance of this. I also think one of the biggest issues with Works Volume One is that you lose this very quality except oddly on Carl Palmers side where he slips in a couple of calmer tracks amongst the 'chaos'.

Interesting choices for favourite contrasting pieces. 
Yes, on Works Vol. 1 they started losing the wonderful balance. A band in desintegration, as they call it. Too bad, because 4 studio albums of brilliance plus some extra on Works is not as much as Genesis and Yes in their good years have delivered.
But then again, who was as intense in practicing, touring, giving all on stage etc. as ELP? And where to go after BSS? 

Posted By: Komandant Shamal
Date Posted: April 18 2015 at 08:01

GIVE A LITTLE BIT sounds much much better to me!

Date Posted: April 19 2015 at 03:26

Interesting choices for favourite contrasting pieces. 
Yes, on Works Vol. 1 they started losing the wonderful balance. A band in desintegration, as they call it. Too bad, because 4 studio albums of brilliance plus some extra on Works is not as much as Genesis and Yes in their good years have delivered.
But then again, who was as intense in practicing, touring, giving all on stage etc. as ELP? And where to go after BSS? 

BSS was so full on that was effectively it. Works and especially the track Pirates ticked doing the 'symphonic thing with orchestra' box and then they were done. Works of course could have been better if they had kept it to a single album and not included Fanfare which doesn't belong imo. It still would have not been entirely satisfactory though. Apparently they wanted to release separate solo albums but Ahmet Ertegun dissuaded them. He also had a bit of a say in Love Beach I gather as well. Anyway the band was running on fumes so it probably would have made not much of a difference either way.

Date Posted: April 19 2015 at 15:31

Apparently they wanted to release separate solo albums but Ahmet Ertegun dissuaded them. 

Really? I didn't know that. Interesting, that explains something.

Date Posted: April 20 2015 at 14:30

Apparently they wanted to release separate solo albums but Ahmet Ertegun dissuaded them. 

Yep as confirmed in at least one interview with ELP.He probably saw the split of the band becoming permanent and so wanted to avoid that considering ELP at that point in time was still one of the most bankable bands around.

Date Posted: April 20 2015 at 15:57

Yep as confirmed in at least one interview with ELP.He probably saw the split of the band becoming permanent and so wanted to avoid that considering ELP at that point in time was still one of the most bankable bands around.

I already thought it was a wild move. Sort of living apart together, or playing apart together.
Ahmet Ertegun was quite a clever guy, then. Imagine what would have happened if the guys from ELP split up. Well, maybe it would have been better at that moment in time, but then we would have missed "Pirates".

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: April 20 2015 at 17:08
Wasn't it in a Simpsons' episode where Milhous remarked, "Caller No. 3 gets tickets to Supertramp!" That's how random the band had become by that point in time. Whatever my point is, I'll go with Lucky Man.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: April 21 2015 at 10:39
both severely overplayed to the point where I never need to hear either again, but Lucky Man easily gets the vote

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: April 21 2015 at 10:40
Originally posted by twalsh twalsh wrote:

It's interesting comparing two pop songs by essentially proggy bands.  I really like supertramp and always surprised to find others who do not and still like similar music.  That said, i usually prefer their proggier tracks.  for some reason, this is an exception and I've always enjoyed it.  that said, it's no "Crime of the Century," "Fool's Overture," or "Child of Vision."  But far better than "Dreamer" or "Goodbye, Stranger."

not a Supetrramp fan at all, but agree it's a lot better than those two!

Date Posted: April 21 2015 at 14:32
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Goodbye Stranger is a great track imo and I have a soft spot for Dreamer as well so I wouldn't totally agree although Child Of Vision is wonderful track admittedly.

Date Posted: April 21 2015 at 16:05

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Goodbye Stranger is a great track imo and I have a soft spot for Dreamer as well so I wouldn't totally agree although Child Of Vision is wonderful track admittedly.

It would be dull if we always agreed.  Hmmm...I haven't heard Dreamer in a long time.  Maybe time to give it another listen.

-------------
More heavy prog, please!

Posted By: benbig
Date Posted: April 22 2015 at 08:07
My choice is  -  ELP - Lucky Man (1970)

-------------
https://wordpress.org/plugins/coming-soon-page" rel="nofollow - WordPress coming soon plugin

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: May 21 2015 at 18:59

Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Lucky Man.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk