Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Top 10s and lists
Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101994
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 04:48
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What concert do you name-drop...
Posted By: emigre80
Subject: What concert do you name-drop...
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 13:05
...when you are trying to impress people?

My go-to impressive story is seeing Pink Floyd do the Wall in London in 1980. Maybe not such a big deal for those who were there, but here in music-starved Kentucky it gets a lot of attention.  Someone once (only half-jokingly) asked for my autograph.

My back-up go-to impressive concert is Bob Dylan and the Band at Madison Square Garden in 1975.  (All together now: "But that's not prog!")  I know, but non-prog people are certainly impressed by it. 

Replies:
Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 14:04
Backstreet Boys 1998

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 14:15
Nirvana at the Mayfair, Newcastle upon Tyne, when they were touring in support of Nevermind. They were just on the cusp of getting huge but had still been booked into fairly small venues. Shonen Knife, supporting, were also decent.

Posted By: hieronymous
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 15:26
Deep Purple - live at Budokan 1985 - Destiny Brought Them Together Again!

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 16:29
I tell them that I've never been to a concert and then they feel sorry for me.

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 17:07
Originally posted by Imperial Zeppelin Imperial Zeppelin wrote:

I tell them that I've never been to a concert and then they feel sorry for me.

Awwwwww Cry

Posted By: frippism
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 17:19
hmmm great question...

I think Daevid Allen with University of Errors with another 30 people in Tel Aviv. God what a show, truly a remarkable man we've lost.

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: twalsh
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 17:44
Lollapalooza 1992 with Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Soundgarden and more.  Nevermind that I fell asleep during Soundgarden.  LOL

-------------
More heavy prog, please!

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 17:44
Every concert I've ever been to has been a name dropper Wink

But in order of impressiveness to my mind (but not by which one I like better)

-Asia - First tour, London, Ontario, cause I got to sit in on the sound check, talk to Carl for about 15 minutes (who just happened to be sitting in the seat I bought my ticket for..REALLY!) and had him ask me my opinion on the tuning of his drums, had Geoff Downes drag me up on stage during sound check to show me his Fairlight, had all members sign my LP insert
-Genesis - First concert of the Trick of the Tail tour, London, Ontario, cause I got great pics from about 5 feet in front of the stage
-ELP - Cobo Hall, Detroit with the Orchestra, cause it was AWESOME and the best sound I've ever heard live
-Kansas - Halifax, Nova Scotia, cause I got to sit stage right just behind the PA

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 17:59
Joe Dassin!

-------------

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 18:54
Led Zeppelin 1974

Bob Marley and the Wailers (I don't remember the date but it was the Zimbabwe tour)

Genesis the famed 1973 Universite de Montreal concert

Hawkwind  Lemmy's last show Cegep de Maisonneuve 

All in Montreal 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 18:58
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Backstreet Boys 1998

hah.  they suck...

New Kids on the Block.. July 19. 1990  RFK Stadium

was the show great.  No.. they sucked.. but unlike the George Michael show the previous winter.. I could not fall asleep.. not for the music.. but the sonic equivalent of having a jet engine roaring in your ears and 60K screaming girls.

why do I name drop it.. 

July 20, 1990... spent in bed... return payment for taking my girlfriends younger sister and her 3 friends TO that show LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 19:06
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Backstreet Boys 1998

hah.  they suck...

New Kids on the Block.. July 19. 1990  RFK Stadium

was the show great.  No.. they sucked.. but unlike the George Michael show the previous winter.. I could not fall asleep.. not for the music.. but the sonic equivalent of having a jet engine roaring in your ears and 60K screaming girls.

why do I name drop it.. 

July 20, 1990... spent in bed... return payment for taking my girlfriends younger sister and her 3 friends TO that show LOL
I took my 10-year old daughter and her friend to see Avril Lavigne in 2002.  Thousands of screaming pre-pubescent girls with very high-pitched voices. I don't name drop it, but I do bring it up occasionally when she needs a reminder of what a great mother you have and why you should appreciate me more.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 19:14
LOLClap

the things we do we do for love.

As far as interesting concert experiences.

First time stoned was at my first concert.. with my father. The Association.. Univ of Oregon.

most humbling.. seeing Dave Brubeck in a college amphitheater with only 20 people in attendance and getting to chat with him one on one for about 30 minutes after the show. What a man.. what a legend.

most humorous.  Seeing Le Orme on their 40th anni tour with 4/5ths of the old ISP team here at PA's and having Andrea introduce me to Aldo as having come all the way from America just to see them. LOL  All I got was a damn autograph out of it. Angry

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 19:49
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

All I got was a damn autograph out of it. Angry
What did you want, a head job? Shocked

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 20:19
Atomic Rooster
Ten Years After
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
Eric Clapton
Groundhogs
Queen

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 21:25
Great question....

US Festival '83~Heavy Metal Sunday~San Bernardino, Ca
Iron Maiden~World Slavery Tour '85~New Orleans, La
Steven Wilson~GFD Tour 2012~Seattle, Wa

-------------

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 21:46
Adding Swans to my list feels impressive. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 22:50

Gabriel  with Fripp on guitar.... Chicago 1977,,, Uptown Theater.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 22:51
I usually start with these:
  • July 28, 1972: Alice Cooper & Captain Beyond- International Amphitheater, Chicago
  •  September 22, 1972:  Yes with The Eagles, Arie Crown Theater, Chicago
  • October 10, 1972 - Jethro Tull with Wild Turkey, Chicago Stadium
  • April 20, 1973 - Peter Frampton & King Crimson, Kinetic Playground
  • November 16, 1974: Gryphon, Yes (Relayer), Horton Fieldhouse, Normal IL
  • July 4, 1975: Yes (Relayer), Chicago Auditorium
  • September 2, 1977 - Yes with Donovan, "Going For The One" tour, Chicago Amphitheater.

Posted By: twalsh
Date Posted: April 16 2015 at 23:27
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Iron Maiden~World Slavery Tour '85~New Orleans, La

Yes!! I saw this one in Vancouver, when I was 15. First concert that I really enjoyed!

-------------
More heavy prog, please!

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 01:37
Rush with Max Webster-April 1977
Styx with Prism-March 1977
Queen with Thin Lizzy-January 1977
Canada World Music Festival-June 1979 (Moxy, Goddo, Ramones, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Nazareth)
Ozzy with Def Leppard and the Rods-July 1981

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 02:01
I only started going to see bands in the nineties on a regular basis so I'm not sure I have anything that could be put in this category.
The Sweet - Nottingham 1980 was my first gig and it probably gave me tinnitus it was so stupidly loud.
Peter Gabriel - Earls Court about 1993/94 was memorable, including a duet with Sinead O'Connor.
Muse - Wembley Stadium about 2007 I guess. First band to sell out the revamped stadium.
Kate Bush - Hammersmith Apollo last year. I was there!

Posted By: defectinggrey
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 04:11
In successive years,Taste,Curved Air, Atomic Rooster and Wild Turkey at my school dance.

Bram Stoker at Acton Town Hall, Police supporting, Cherry Vanilla, Egg and
Gnidrolog at Imperial College.

Best ever Tapestry a very short lived band formed by Graham Stansfield after Rare Bird and Fields.

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 04:18
Rush and Primus, Ahoy Rotterdam 1992

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 05:35
THE concerts of Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Return to Forever, and Santana, in Belgrade, 1975

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 05:54
^ I did not mention Earth Wind & Fire, I have seen them at least 6x......brilliant shows with some of the best stage shows...Magic, Lights, Stage, Pyro and of course the music.

-------------

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 06:16
^ Yea, Earth, Wind & Fire was an opening act on that Santana's European tour 1975.
I'd like to say that my favourite band ever, Smak, was played as an opening act for Deep Purple in Belgrade, 1975, actually the first tour with David Coverdale ( I saw Ian Gillan a few times later, also in Belgrade). And here's an urban legend about that (great) gig Smile

Quote After virtuoso performance by band Smak as the opening act, which was keenly watched by Ian Paice, occurred a very, very long break. According to many of the witnesses in the backstage Ritchie Blackmore have made chaos frustrated because of choice band Smak for opening concert, managers and other personel were in a very unpleasant situation..These days were the peak, zenith of Smak, period of their greatest musical productivity.

http://www.balkaninside.com/radomir-mihailovic-tocak/" rel="nofollow - http://www.balkaninside.com/radomir-mihailovic-tocak/

In fact, Mr Blackmore was frustrated before the show, because the organizer chose an unknown local band that to open the concert of Deep Purple as one of the biggest global attractions that year. However, after the Smak's gig, Mr Blackmore was personally congratulated to the boys from Smak.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 06:26
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

My go-to impressive story is seeing Pink Floyd do the Wall in London in 1980. Maybe not such a big deal for those who were there, but here in music-starved Kentucky it gets a lot of attention.  Someone once (only half-jokingly) asked for my autograph.

My back-up go-to impressive concert is Bob Dylan and the Band at Madison Square Garden in 1975.  (All together now: "But that's not prog!")  I know, but non-prog people are certainly impressed by it. 
Given the state of British public transport going to see The Wall in 1980 was a big deal even for those of us who only travelled 40 miles to get there WinkBig smile However, travelling all the way from Kentucky trumps most I would imagine, including Raff who travelled from Rome to see the show. Well done sir Clap

Aside from the above (which I happily name-drop at every opportunity) I am also prone to name-dropping many gigs
  • Seeing Floyd perform Dark Side Of The Moon in 1972, six months before it was released on album.
  • The Electric Light Orchestra before they had released their début.
  • One of Peter Gabriel's first solo shows after leaving Genesis (at Friar's Club in Alyesbury)
  • One of the only two live performances of Phil Manzanera's 801 (unfortunately not the one that was recorded).
  • After The Fire as a Progressive Rock band.
  • The Tubes where Fey Weybill fell off the stage and broke his leg.
  • Siouxsie and the Banshees second gig after Morris and McKay had run-away mid-tour with Bob Smith on guitar. (also at Friar's Alyesbury)

...I also have a habit of name-dropping seeing U2, The Police and Simple Minds as support acts to bands who failed to achieve those three's later stadium-filling popularity.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 07:16
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Given the state of British public transport going to see The Wall in 1980 was a big deal even for those of us who only travelled 40 miles to get there WinkBig smile However, travelling all the way from Kentucky trumps most I would imagine, including Raff who travelled from Rome to see the show. Well done sir Clap

Aside from the above (which I happily name-drop at every opportunity) I am also prone to name-dropping many gigs
  • Seeing Floyd perform Dark Side Of The Moon in 1972, six months before it was released on album.
  • The Electric Light Orchestra before they had released their début.
  • One of Peter Gabriel's first solo shows after leaving Genesis (at Friar's Club in Alyesbury)
  • One of the only two live performances of Phil Manzanera's 801 (unfortunately not the one that was recorded).
  • The Tubes where Fey Weybill fell off the stage and broke his leg.
  • Siouxsie and the Banshees second gig after Morris and McKay had run-away mid-tour with Bob Smith on guitar. (also at Friar's Alyesbury)

...I also have a habit of name-dropping seeing U2, The Police and Simple Minds as support acts to bands who failed to achieve those three's later stadium-filling popularity.

I lived in Bristol at the time so I can't really claim any prizes for going up to London to see a concert. But travelling all the way from Kentucky makes a much better story so maybe I'll try running with that Wink 

I also have seen U2, the Police and Simple Minds, but as headliners rather than support acts.  I did see REM as a support act for the Police in 1983 and I have been known to mention it on occasion.

Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 07:17
^ also (as noted on another thread) I'm a ma'am not a sir.

Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 07:50

^ also (as noted on another thread) I'm a ma'am not a sir.
Apologies ma'am - I read the name Terri and it still didn't dawn on me Embarrassed

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 07:52
^ no worries, mate, and to be fair in England Terrys do tend to be male.  I was always getting mail addressed to "Mr. Crocker" when I lived there.

Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 08:36
Hmmm....lemme see. Probably the ones I saw while still a teenager (or preteen in the first case):

Alice Cooper - School's Out tour, 1972
Deep Purple - Machine Head tour, 1973
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath tour, 1974
David Bowie - The Soul tour, 1974
Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs tour, 1975
Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock n' Roll tour, 1976
Genesis - Wind & Wuthering Tour, 1977
Pink Floyd - In the Flesh tour, 1977
Yes - Going for the One tour, 1977
Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood tour, 1977
Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps tour, 1978

Those were the most memorable. I missed out on Led Zeppelin because John Bonham died in September, 1980 and I had tickets for November, 1980. I still have them enshrined, never got a refund.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 08:48
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I missed out on Led Zeppelin because John Bonham died in September, 1980 and I had tickets for November, 1980. I still have them enshrined, never got a refund. 
Ugh man, that sucks. How much were they at the time?

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 08:54
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

I missed out on Led Zeppelin because John Bonham died in September, 1980 and I had tickets for November, 1980. I still have them enshrined, never got a refund. 
Main floor, $15.00. Yes, that's fifteen dollars, without any added zeroes. LOL

-------------

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 08:58

Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

That's a really good deal, even with all the inflation now. People would pay over $500 now to just have the tickets and not even see the show.

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 09:00

Those were the days, my friend.

Posted By: NutterAlert
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 09:23
[QUOTE=Dean

Totally forgot about this band, still got their LP with deckchairs on somewhere. Loved the opening track on the album.

I still enjoy the "nostalgia" of two reformations/re-unions I was lucky to see:

VdGG at Royal Fesitval Hall 6th May 2005, amazing night.
ELP at Albert Hall in '92, saw all their 3 concerts there.
also...
Kim Wilde (not prog but was hot!) '81 - we had a thing together me and Kim; sadly she was not aware of it, and if she had of been suspect she would have taken out a restraining order.

Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 09:34
Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

Kim Wilde (not prog but was hot!) '81 - we had a thing together me and Kim; sadly she was not aware of it, and if she had of been suspect she would have taken out a restraining order.

Oh, that kind of thing Wacko

Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 09:49

Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

Oh, that kind of thing Wacko
In Martin's defence, Kim Wilde's backing band on "Kids In America" was The Enid...

...and in the name-drop game, The Enid is a band I have seen an awful lot both back in the 70s and in more recent times. Most notable being the "Over The Rainbow" gig at the, erm, Rainbow and the Hammersmith Odean gig that was so magnificently preserved on video and album. Approve

-------------
What?

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 10:27
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Kate Bush - Hammersmith Apollo last year. I was there!

that's the one for me as well!

I might also mention that I saw Talk Talk supporting Duran Duran, but sadly this was in their electro-pop days before "Spirit of Eden" (which I suspect wouldn't have gone down well with the DD crowd anyway).

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 10:29
Yes & Eagles 1972 Richmond Virginia

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 10:30
Zappa - every tour from 1975 until the 1988 (sometimes multiple shows).

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 11:18
Couldn't read the opening blog because of the Gabriel ticket stub plastered over it. Thanks. I bring up two (if I have this thread's intention correctly): Jethro Tull performing A Passion Play at the San Diego Sports Arena in '73 and Crimso' performing Discipline in '81 at the University of California San Diego's Mandeville Gym. Both grand shows. Getting back to Gabriel, my friends and I nearly ran for the parking lot at the last couple of shows we attended back in the early '80s; we'd become both tired and jaded of his prancing about the stage and Biko-as-encore routines.

Posted By: Roland113
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 11:41
I usually mention that I've seen EL Powell, and Three (EP Berry) but never ELP straight up.

In recent years, seeing Spock's Beard at 3RP in like 2008 with Neal Morse singing on 'The Light' was one of my coolest moments, also seeing IQ on this side of the pond was a highlight.

-------------
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 12:08

Here's the opening entry, but I think you got the idea.

Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 12:35
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Couldn't read the opening blog because of the Gabriel ticket stub plastered over it.
If dr whu can http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101994&PID=5159671#5159671" rel="nofollow - edit his post to remove the offending Gabriel ticket image then Page 1 of this thread will be readable again. Geek

-------------
What?

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 13:57
to impress people?? sh*t...... i saw them last year. most of you would probably be more disappointed than anything else, but at least i don't care.

-------------
Progrockdude

Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 14:05

Couldn't read the opening blog because of the Gabriel ticket stub plastered over it.
If dr whu can http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101994&PID=5159671#5159671" rel="nofollow - edit his post to remove the offending Gabriel ticket image then Page 1 of this thread will be readable again. Geek
Fixed it.....no idea how that happened.
The 'offending Gabriel ticket image' is now gone.....but I had to delete the whole post to do it.Confused

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 14:22

Hi,

Magma - SF Progressive Music Festival 1999

Gong Tour with Pierre Moerlin in 1997 I think (Roseland Theater Portland)

YES - Tales of Topographic Oceans - Long Beach Arena (have to check dates)

Pink Floyd - Hollywood Bowl 1972 in Quadraphonic madness!

Tangerine Dream - Live in America (where the album was taken) at the Greek Observatory with Lazerium firing up the trees. Pictures on the album

MAN - Space 1999 tour with Hawkwind. Even with a new lineup, Mickey and Deke were outstanding!

King Crimson 2015 in Seattle

Return to Forever 2013 in Eugene, OR

I have no complaints ... seen a lot of very good ones. Only would likes would have been VdGG, Vangelis and Mike Oldfield.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 18:53
Oh.... in a few months I will be name dropping Night of the Prog 2015 - the best prog festival line up in years... (triggered in this discussion by the mention of The Enid)

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: Guy Guden
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 19:08
Too many:

Pink Floyd, Los Angeles Sports Arena, 1975.  Enthusiastic radio guy backstage with the Floyd for the first time. Roger Waters gave me a glass of white wine.  Nick Mason happy to talk about Principal Edwards and Robert Wyatt.  Rick Wright, a true gentleman.  A great show, with the original versions of Animals and Wish You Were Here, not to be released in the order we heard them.  Saw two nights, even with the LAPD doing that THX 1138 thing.

Posted By: SquonkHunter
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 21:42
Not strictly  Prog. Led Zeppelin in Fort Worth, Texas in 1977. I managed to get two tickets from someone after the show was rescheduled. Could never have gone otherwise. Who could know that it would turn out to be their last time here?  RIP John Bonham.  Cry

On a happier note, and very much Prog, was Yes at Bee Caves (Austin), Texas in 2002. They were in top form that night. A show to remember. Clap

-------------
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 22:29
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The 'offending Gabriel ticket image' is now gone.....but I had to delete the whole post to do it.Confused

Thanks,Dr.

Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 22:31

Hmmm....lemme see. Probably the ones I saw while still a teenager (or preteen in the first case):

Alice Cooper - School's Out tour, 1972
Deep Purple - Machine Head tour, 1973
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath tour, 1974
David Bowie - The Soul tour, 1974
Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs tour, 1975
Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock n' Roll tour, 1976
Genesis - Wind & Wuthering Tour, 1977
Pink Floyd - In the Flesh tour, 1977
Yes - Going for the One tour, 1977
Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood tour, 1977
Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps tour, 1978

Those were the most memorable. I missed out on Led Zeppelin because John Bonham died in September, 1980 and I had tickets for November, 1980. I still have them enshrined, never got a refund.

If you were in Chicago for any of these, we were probably in the same venue!  Nice list!

Date Posted: April 18 2015 at 02:02
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

I usually mention that I've seen EL Powell, and Three (EP Berry) but never ELP straight up.

In recent years, seeing Spock's Beard at 3RP in like 2008 with Neal Morse singing on 'The Light' was one of my coolest moments, also seeing IQ on this side of the pond was a highlight.

I would love to have seen ELPowell ( seen ELP twice inc their last ever gig at High Voltage)

Where did you see them? Not MSG I guess.

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: April 22 2015 at 20:27
Thin Lizzy (Jailbreak tour) & Queen, October 1976 (A Day at the Races tour).

Starcastle and Utopia's Ra set with about 100 people in an old warehouse/indoor ice hockey venue, December 1977 (Ooops! Wrong Planet tour). 

Peter Gabriel with about 300 people in Nancy, France, November 1978 (second album tour).

Andres Segovia (at age 87) with about 200 other people in Norwich, Norfolk, England, December 1980. Stunning!

Buddy Guy and Luther Allison in 1981 (separate concerts) in a bar (same bar) in Madison, Wisconsin.

U2 in a bar with about 400 people in September, 1981 in East Lansing, Michigan (October tour).

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: April 23 2015 at 06:15
Just remembered another one...

Moraz / Bruford, Piano and Drums Tour.
Alumni Hall, London Ontario. Only about 30 people in attendance. Great performance

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: April 23 2015 at 06:35

( seen ELP twice inc their last ever gig at High Voltage)

Ah yes, forgot that one. It was great at the time (including Lake's strop) but the CD of the show isn't good.

Date Posted: April 23 2015 at 09:57

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Thanks,Dr.

No problem....

The concert I attended was Gabriel in Chicago Uptown Theater 1977....with Fripp on guitar sitting on a chair of course throughout the whole show.  We had pretty good seats so it's one of my favorites of all of the shows I have been to.
Smile

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 23 2015 at 22:51
I guess the most impressive should be Roger Waters playing The Wall (I'd rather it had been Pink Floyd, but I was bearly born then), and also the one other people would more easily recognise. But with proggers, given that I started going to concerts already in a later time of prog life (2000's), I didn't have the oportunity to see the classics back in the time, which should be the most impressive for me, however, I really like having been able to see Rick Wakeman playing 6 Wives and Hampton Court Palace, which was only 2 shows, not such big arena, wonderful beautiful place to see such a show, wonderful music, etc. And it's particularly cool for me, because I managed to fit the concert going in some holidays I was planning (the timing of the show was great for me), since I live in Mexico.

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 01:15
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

( seen ELP twice inc their last ever gig at High Voltage)

Ah yes, forgot that one. It was great at the time (including Lake's strop) but the CD of the show isn't good.

I've avoided the CD making it the only official ELP release I don't own. They did their best and that was all could be asked.

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 01:18
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I guess the most impressive should be Roger Waters playing The Wall (I'd rather it had been Pink Floyd, but I was bearly born then), and also the one other people would more easily recognise. But with proggers, given that I started going to concerts already in a later time of prog life (2000's), I didn't have the oportunity to see the classics back in the time, which should be the most impressive for me, however, I really like having been able to see Rick Wakeman playing 6 Wives and Hampton Court Palace, which was only 2 shows, not such big arena, wonderful beautiful place to see such a show, wonderful music, etc. And it's particularly cool for me, because I managed to fit the concert going in some holidays I was planning (the timing of the show was great for me), since I live in Mexico.

Cool DVD of that show ( did you get on?Smile) .

'Gordon's Alive!'

Posted By: zachfive
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 12:10
I just saw Faith No More a week or so ago; and while many here may scoff at the band, seeing Mike Patton perform live is definitely something I say with extreme pride.

Also have seen King Crimson, and being 27 years of age I consider myself lucky to have seen each and everyone on of those amazingly talented gentlemen. Still missed out on seeing Adrian Belew though, so if he ever comes to the Seattle area that is a must for me.

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 16:57
I like to tell this tale: I was one of the seventeen (17) people attending the Aranis concert in the Triton club (near Paris, in Les Lilas) in 2009.
Hum... Maybe I should have asked to sign my record...

Also, I also like to tell about the concert of Le Silo in Paris last year, just before their appearance at the RIO festival - a concert everyone in the venue must remember, because some maniac a****le dropped a lacrymogene bomb a few minutes before the concert! Angry

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 21:47

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Cool DVD of that show ( did you get on?Smile) .

'Gordon's Alive!'

If I appear on the DVD of the Hampton concert? No, the DVD was recorded on the second night, and I attended on the first night. I was unsure on which one to choose when buying the tickets, and I think I thought the first night was on an easier day for me. Later I thought about how usually second nights are better because they already "practiced" on the first one, and that if there was to be a recording of the show it was more likely to be from the second night instead of the first one (it would have been nice to have a DVD of a concert I attended... though this is close enough, though). So, I do have the DVD... I guess I should watch it one of this days (perhaps my wife would get nostalgic about visiting London), but they also recorded an audio CD in the moment, so some 20 min after the show I got my CD from the concert... excellent audio quality, and I don't hear anything wrong from the mixing nor anything... I don't really understand why sometimes bands have to take so long to release a live album if Wakeman already proved you can do it in 20 min with exellent sound quality (of course, I didn't buy the mass market CD later on, only the DVD).

Posted By: AviRosenfeld
Date Posted: August 06 2015 at 06:53
Deep Purple Live In Israel 2008, it was an amazing show!

Also, Uriah Heep Live In Israel 2000, my first real rock concert.

-------------
https://avirosenfeld.bandcamp.com/album/very-heepy-very-purple-iii
http://avirosenfeld.wix.com/avirosenfeldband#!gigs/c12yc
https://www.facebook.com/AviRosenfeldBand

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: August 06 2015 at 07:17
Henry Cow - twice - back in 1977 - most treasured memory...

Also saw Genesis and Yes for the first time the same year...

For Canterbury specialists: I saw the short lived Going Going supporting Gongmaison, Incahoots in '84 and Richard Sinclair's Caravan of Dreams a couple of times in the early 90s.

Date Posted: August 06 2015 at 08:56
Not prog but one of my favorite shows ever was in 1971 ....Joe Walsh and James Gang...we had front row balcony seats,,,,,great show at IU, Bloomington , Indiana.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Bitterblogger
Date Posted: August 19 2015 at 11:47
Hosting Patrick Moraz at my home on the 1st C.H.A.T. tour (3/95).
Comeback tour of Miles Davis (9/81), Concord Pavilion.
Yes' Relayer tour at the Hollywood Bowl in June, 1975--1st ever concert I paid for. In 2002, I saw them on the Magnification tour, during which Anderson fondly remembered that previous show.
Rolling Stones/Guns 'N Roses/Living Colour, 10/89, L.A. Coliseum. 20th row, front and center.
US Festival '82, Devore, CA. For the grand sum of $33, Fleetwood Mac, Kinks, Police, Jimmy Buffett, Santana, Jerry Jeff Walker, Gang of Four, B-52's, Pat Benatar, Grateful Dead, Tom Petty, Jackson Browne and maybe a couple of others. Brutally hot (105 degrees).

Date Posted: August 19 2015 at 23:46
Originally posted by AviRosenfeld AviRosenfeld wrote:

Deep Purple Live In Israel 2008, it was an amazing show!

Also, Uriah Heep Live In Israel 2000, my first real rock concert.

Welcome to the show, nice to have you here!!  

My first real rock concert was Captain Beyond, opening for Alice Cooper's "School's Out" show, 28 July, 1972!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk