Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=102048
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 17:20
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2015 UK General Election
Posted By: Matthew _Gill
Subject: 2015 UK General Election
Date Posted: April 20 2015 at 13:53
Who are we voting for in the 2015 UK General Election? 

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpOoJ0OTLg0&t" rel="nofollow - Click here to see a mind-blowing Flashlight

Replies:
Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: April 20 2015 at 14:36
Whichever party is for opening a pub on ever street corner and changing the national anthem to "If you tolerate this your children will be next" by The Manic Street Preachers.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: April 20 2015 at 14:57
I sincerely hope the person who ticked UKIP did so with a sense of irony... this is meant to be a web site for intelligent people.. Wink

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: April 20 2015 at 15:40
I didn't know generals were elected? *ducks*

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: April 20 2015 at 16:10
I am a member of Plaid, so that is where my vote will go.

Of course, though, as a loyal and neutral civil servant, I will support whichever cheek of the arse is the largest party come May 8th

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: April 21 2015 at 03:49
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

I sincerely hope the person who ticked UKIP did so with a sense of irony... this is meant to be a web site for intelligent people.. Wink

They lead in the other two sites I made polls in, and by some way! Maybe it's Rotherham, maybe it's the HS2 carving up the countryside, oppressive speed cameras, NHS parking fees or houses being built on greenbelt land, who knows? 

Could also be Labour ruining the economy and inviting Islamists in en masse or just the Cons failing to deliver on their biggest promises.

Maybe protest votes Confused

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpOoJ0OTLg0&t" rel="nofollow - Click here to see a mind-blowing Flashlight

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: April 21 2015 at 05:18
I'm stumped this time. Labour will knacker the economy as usual if they get in (and quite possibly be controlled by the SNP if they don't get an overall majority), LibDems go back on their word, Tories have improved the economy but are basically Cameron's posh mates.

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 10:24
Anyone else voting in the General Election?

-------------

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 10:40
I voted green, my favorite color.

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 11:19
Plaid

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 11:27
I wish I understood UK politics as much as here in the great white north. Party platforms and all. Are any of your parties NOT dirty, cheating, lying b*****ds, cause none of ours are.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 12:12
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I wish I understood UK politics as much as here in the great white north. Party platforms and all. Are any of your parties NOT dirty, cheating, lying b*****ds, cause none of ours are.

as a general rule of thumb, if you want to support a party with a social conscience in the forthcoming UK elections, choose one with a female leader... Wink

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 12:16
It really doesn't matter who I vote for, my vote will be a fruitless one because I live in an area that is staunch Tory stronghold where the incumbent MP a 14,000 majority over their nearest rival, the Lib Dems. As he could quite easily stand as a UKIP candidate without changing any of his stated opinions or parliamentary voting history he has nothing to fear from Farage's purple fascists. Unfortunately since the Lib/Dems have successfully managed to piss-away their traditional youth-vote over the University tuition fees fiasco his majority can only increase.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 12:36
How's UKIP's influence on the Tories?  Are they really hewing more to the right this election?

Posted By: Green Shield Stamp
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 12:40
I will vote Labour. Luckily my vote will count because the area where I live is currently a Labour seat. The recent rise of UKIP will most likely diminish the local Conservative vote.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 13:24
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

How's UKIP's influence on the Tories?  Are they really hewing more to the right this election?
Not that you would notice. I suspect that they really want to put as much political distance between themselves and the UKIPpers as possible. Farage isn't saying things that we all suspect that Cameron secretly wants to say, they are ideologically poles apart.

I'm not sure what the Tories are doing to be honest, and I get the feeling that neither do they. All the parties seem to have acknowledged that the election will be close and probably result in yet-another coalition government. Labour are still fighting to win while the Tories appear to be resigned to losing. As the left-leaning smaller parties are queuing up to side with Labour it's leaving the Tories and UKIP looking like the tubby lad in National Health glasses who is last to be picked for playground football and the asthmatic kid with an unfortunate case of tourettes. If they are counting on the support of the Lib/Dems then I think they are in for a bit of a shock, Corporal Clegg will side with the winning team no matter who they are.

I expect that the Lib/Dems will lose a lot of votes but not that many seats and the other smaller parties will gain votes but no more seats - such is the nature of first-past-the-post balloting. 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 13:44
Corporal Clegg.  LOL  Brilliant - expect nothing less from such a Floyd fan.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 13:51
Labour, the best of a bad bunch.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 14:25
Very leftist forum! 

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 15:52
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

It really doesn't matter who I vote for, my vote will be a fruitless one because I live in an area that is staunch Tory stronghold where the incumbent MP a 14,000 majority over their nearest rival, the Lib Dems. As he could quite easily stand as a UKIP candidate without changing any of his stated opinions or parliamentary voting history he has nothing to fear from Farage's purple fascists. Unfortunately since the Lib/Dems have successfully managed to piss-away their traditional youth-vote over the University tuition fees fiasco his majority can only increase.

I know exactly how you feel and can sympathise. I grew up in an area where Nicholas Ridley was the MP, with the adjoining constituencies incumbents being Norman Fowler and Douglas Hurd, all of whom had majorities of around 20,000. Whilst working for the YHA in generally affluent parts of the country, my predicament was the same... because I've never been a disciple of free market economics, my vote has regrettably never counted for anything.

-------------

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 17:24
I wonder: is there a Republican party in the UK?
By "Republican", I mean a party planning to change the UK political system to a Republic, not the fan-club of Ronald Reagan.
Being French, the matter shouldn't bother me, but I always feel a bit sorry for the Scots, the Welsh, the English and the Northern Irish when I see the Queen's hats or Harry's shenanigans...

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 19:03
As an outsider, I'm a fan of the British Monarchy and would be a little sad if it were abolished.

Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 03:36
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

By "Republican", I mean a party planning to change the UK political system to a Republic, not the fan-club of Ronald Reagan.
Being French, the matter shouldn't bother me, but I always feel a bit sorry for the Scots, the Welsh, the English and the Northern Irish when I see the Queen's hats or Harry's shenanigans...

The only political "parties" committed to a republic in the UK are the ragbag Trots, such as TUSC. They take themselves far too seriously, and nobody else takes any notice of them whatsoever.

Your comments re the other countries in the UK are misplaced. Even the Nationalist parties, such as Plaid and SNP, upon independence, want Queen to stay as Head of State. Why? Because she is a very popular figure across the country.

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 04:54
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

The only political "parties" committed to a republic in the UK are the ragbag Trots, such as TUSC. They take themselves far too seriously, and nobody else takes any notice of them whatsoever.

Your comments re the other countries in the UK are misplaced. Even the Nationalist parties, such as Plaid and SNP, upon independence, want Queen to stay as Head of State. Why? Because she is a very popular figure across the country.
I concur - while I have no love for the sponging, benefit-scrounging, inbred immigrants of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha Winsor myself, I would rather one of them as an ineffectual and mildly entertaining Head of State than a politically-elected glory-hunting self-serving corrupt official - having to suffer such bozos as Prime Minister is bad enough, but as President of a Republic - nein danke.

-------------
What?

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 07:09

Yes, Liz is considered a very popular and well intentioned aged pensioner across the country but you seem to be trumping issues with personalities e.g. despite the official SNP policy being to retain the monarchy in the event of Scottish Independence (perhaps a moot point as the No vote prevailed), a Scottish Express newspaper poll revealed that 63% of Scottish readers called for a ballot to decide on Scotland's next head of state. Only 22% of those polled stated the royals should be retained without question. This majority view was shared by those who intended to vote against independence.

Nope, I don't know how many people voted but presumably this would be a ball park figure in the region of their daily circulation of 60,000. The population of Scotland is circa 5 million so I'm not pretending the survey is far reaching but it's a good sample size and given that the Express is a traditionally conservative 'pro royal family' publication, the results are so unsupportive of their habitual agenda I'm surprised they were published at all.

In short: The only people waving flags from the roadside at any royal visit to the west of Scotland, would be German tourists and their Greek boyfriends, unionist bigots or Tory canvassers just released from intensive care. You're not Welsh are you?Wink

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 08:30
^ A cynic could opine that the SNP's conversion (well, Alex Salmond's mainly) to royalism was a ploy to win-over Scottish Tories to the referendum "yes" vote. That aside, how many Scots would be royalists if it meant the restoration of a Scottish King rather than a Greco-Germanic one? (not withstanding that the current Stuart heir is Bavarian and Catholic to boot).

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 09:01
^ Yes, I agree that the SNP were being expedient re the head of state position but as for Scots embracing a Scottish monarchy? practically none I suspect. Scotland is predominantly a staunchly 'blue collar' left of centre demographic that has never been in thrall to pomp and circumstance or the privilege afforded to lineage.

I can't believe I'm just about the quote the otherwise reptilian Julie Burchill Confused
(but she's right on the money correct here):

Being a monarchist – saying that one small group is born more worthy of respect than another – is just as warped and strange as being a racist.

Julie Burchill

Most Scots (myself included) have no idea or little interest in who the current Stuart heir is, as 'birthright' and the 'infallibility of kings' are alien concepts deserving of contempt from most working class people. (but a German Catholic monarch would certainly polarise an already sectarian West of ScotlandDead)

-------------

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 09:39

I concur - while I have no love for the sponging, benefit-scrounging, inbred immigrants of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha Winsor myself, I would rather one of them as an ineffectual and mildly entertaining Head of State than a politically-elected glory-hunting self-serving corrupt official - having to suffer such bozos as Prime Minister is bad enough, but as President of a Republic - nein danke.

This is exactly my take on the Monarchy versus Republic too. Power hungry politicians are not only bad and annoying, they can become downright dangerous as well. Like a Putin or an Erdogan.

Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 15:48
Originally posted by Matthew _Gill Matthew _Gill wrote:

Very leftist forum! 

Liberal is probably a more accurate description.

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 16:09
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Very leftist forum! 

Well, the Hampstead Liberals are most certainly ahead at this juncture!

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2015 at 05:54

Very leftist forum! 

Not certain what 'Hampstead liberals' are, but I'm guessing they are the shady liberalista who support the Islamification of Europe, as part of some dodgy mind control psy-op?

I'm being a little sarcastic here, of course, but sometimes liberals are as nauseating and purposely blind as their swivel eyed counterparts on the right. Everyday, the Indepedent spams my FB newsfeed with insipid arse about face stories like "Treating women with respect is actually sexist" and other such tosh..

Give me the Guardian anyday. The Guardian is investigative and truly liberal. The Independent is the Daily Mail of the faux left.

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2015 at 06:45

Very leftist forum! 

Not certain what 'Hampstead liberals' are, but I'm guessing they are the shady liberalista who support the Islamification of Europe, as part of some dodgy mind control psy-op?

I'm being a little sarcastic here, of course, but sometimes liberals are as nauseating and purposely blind as their swivel eyed counterparts on the right. Everyday, the Indepedent spams my FB newsfeed with insipid arse about face stories like "Treating women with respect is actually sexist" and other such tosh..

Give me the Guardian anyday. The Guardian is investigative and truly liberal. The Independent is the Daily Mail of the faux left.

Yes, the Independant has certainly gone downhill from the very high standards it set at the outset but I think you're being a bit harsh on it and extending way too much largesse to the Guardian. We're all guilty of entering the realm of caricatures when it comes to confirmation bias about who reads what periodical e.g. many people portray Guardian readers as terminally 'right on' mockney hipsters, denim shirted schoolteachers, civil servants, 'king students and recycling fetishists with SUVs (the list goes onWink)
There isn't even a vrai left in the UK never mind a faux one. Socialism in Europe (and probably the rest of the 1st world) is no more than a quaint anachronism in 2015. Choose what cliches, propaganda and lies you buy into carefullyThumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2015 at 07:34
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Very leftist forum! 

Yes, the Independant has certainly gone downhill from the very high standards it set at the outset but I think you're being a bit harsh on it and extending way too much largesse to the Guardian. We're all guilty of entering the realm of caricatures when it comes to confirmation bias about who reads what periodical e.g. many people portray Guardian readers as terminally 'right on' mockney hipsters, denim shirted schoolteachers, civil servants, 'king students and recycling fetishists with SUVs (the list goes onWink)
There isn't even a vrai left in the UK never mind a faux one. Socialism in Europe (and probably the rest of the 1st world) is no more than a quaint anachronism in 2015. Choose what cliches, propaganda and lies you buy into carefullyThumbs Up

Yeah, no newspaper is perfect and without bias. I tend to apply the basic measure of how many pathetic articles come through on my newsfeed. I read the weekend Guardian and gave up on the Indie about six years ago, the main reason being they claimed at the outset to not really have any kind of bias, but that they were straight reporting facts. I've come to learn in politics there are no facts, there are only perspectives.

My problem with the Indie is that they work in a race/sexism slant into almost every article I read online, even when it's arguably not warrented and I think this does a diservice to those who genuinely fight against racism and sexism, and brings the arguments down to tabloid level baiting with little substance. Which is what the Daily Mail does, but from the other side of the same coin.

I would agree socialism is effectively dead. Neo-liberalism is the order of the day it seems, and to a large extent private corporations are the new governments. The TTP and the TTIP confirm private corporate power now supercedes sovereign governments.

There is a lot of propoganda out there, and sometimes you have to look at what is actually happening as opposed to what you're being told is happening. If you see a house on fire, it's not an opinion the house is on fire. It just is, even if a smooth talking guy in a suit is telling you it isn't.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2015 at 10:46

Very leftist forum! 

I find it sickening how Lefties/The great unwashed/white apologists/Liberals support this just for Self Ego Gratification, self-enlightenment or to score brownie points over Nationalists etc. 

I know only those who swing to the left see the peril but If Europe doesn't break the current trend we can all kiss democracy & equality goodbye, and we'll see if groups like UAF or Hope Not Hate protest against true fascism. 

I know controlled immigration has seen many Muslims adapt to or embrace the West and earn the tag "Moderates" but mass immigration is certainly seeing a growth in Islamist and radicalisation to historical Islamic ideals. 

Things previously unheard of before Labour opened the floodgates are certainly mentioned amongst Islamic culture these days:

Tatbir
Halal Slaughter
Female Genital Mutilation
Child Grooming gangs
Taxi rape epidemic
Honour killings
Forced marriage
Sharia Patrols
Illegal Sharia Courts
Hate groups
Hate preachers
Bigamy
Poppy Burning
Islamism
Jihadism
Extremism
Terrorism
Carousel Fraud
Suicide bombers
Two-tier Policing and media (Rotherham and Kriss Donald)

Crikey if you get raped in some Muslim countries you face prison or even stoning for having sex outside marriage! ..this includes kids!!! We can't add this culture to Europe's Multi-cultured societies! 

Don't get me started on underage brides, when to use sodomy or punishments for denouncing Islam or changing faiths. Homosexuals will especially be targeted for hatred. We owe it to the human race to fight Islamification. 

A start would be Westernised/Moderate Muslims and Anti-Fascist movements protesting ISIS etc and other barbaric aspects of outdated Islam whilst backing calls for tighter borders.

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2015 at 06:01
^^^ That'll go down like a turd in a bath around here..

Moderate Muslims do protest radical Islam. The whole ethos of the Quilliam foundation is to tackle extremism.

We're not likely to see the "Islamification of Europe" Even the most 'right on' lazy minded liberals are not going to stand for their governments actually legislating to allow to archaic practices like stoning and the incarceration of rape victims in Europe..

The biggest threat comes from terrorism, and this comes from a combination of foreign policy catalysing such behaviour in young Muslims and yes, lax immigration controls to some degree.

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: April 28 2015 at 06:39
I refuse to take part in the UK elections!!!

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2015 at 10:29
^^^ Are you Russell Brand?

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2015 at 15:57

Moderate Muslims do protest radical Islam. The whole ethos of the Quilliam foundation is to tackle extremism.

We're not likely to see the "Islamification of Europe" Even the most 'right on' lazy minded liberals are not going to stand for their governments actually legislating to allow to archaic practices like stoning and the incarceration of rape victims in Europe..

The biggest threat comes from terrorism, and this comes from a combination of foreign policy catalysing such behaviour in young Muslims and yes, lax immigration controls to some degree.

I think Quillliam became a non-starter when they got Tommy Robinson on board. Weren't Quilliam founded by an extremist? Maybe a trojan horse?

Islamification scares me tbh. Outside of Moderate Islam which is something that took time to evolve that Islam is compatible with Western values. As the Islamic population increases there will be more Sharia Patrol type groups putting pressure on girls to cover up or men to stop drinking in public, the future of Europe will be interesting at best. There have already been running battles in Sweden and Paris due to extreme Islam. 

Stats are coming through every day that are very alarming - 1 in 4 women will be raped in Sweden! 27% of the prison population in London is Muslim whilst the UK Muslim population is just circa 4.8%! 

The Police/Labour/Council/Muslim community leaders cover up regarding Rotherham and the media silence over Kriss Donald makes it crucial we retain equality with a UKIP vote. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2015 at 18:28
Farage was quality on BBC1 tonight, really won over a partisan crowd. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2015 at 18:48
Ermm ...  ah, never mind.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 30 2015 at 21:05

Notwithstanding bigotry, racism, insularity and parochialism being re-branded as 'Patriotism' there still remains a worst case scenario: Nigel Farage and Katie Hopkins have an affair, get married and start breeding....Dead

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 01:03

I think Quillliam became a non-starter when they got Tommy Robinson on board. Weren't Quilliam founded by an extremist? Maybe a trojan horse?

Islamification scares me tbh. Outside of Moderate Islam which is something that took time to evolve that Islam is compatible with Western values. As the Islamic population increases there will be more Sharia Patrol type groups putting pressure on girls to cover up or men to stop drinking in public, the future of Europe will be interesting at best. There have already been running battles in Sweden and Paris due to extreme Islam. 

Stats are coming through every day that are very alarming - 1 in 4 women will be raped in Sweden! 27% of the prison population in London is Muslim whilst the UK Muslim population is just circa 4.8%! 

The Police/Labour/Council/Muslim community leaders cover up regarding Rotherham and the media silence over Kriss Donald makes it crucial we retain equality with a UKIP vote. 

Yes Quilliam was founded by a former extremist IIRC, but are we to think people can't reform? The same goes for that donkey Robinson, at least he's seen a better way.

The killers of Kriss Donald were jailed. The BBC admitted they didn't cover the story sufficiently, and I would agree that the media, police and social servcies don't know how to handle 'sensitive' cases in a way that inspires confidence in what they do.

The authorities need to demonstrate a completely transparent and pragmatic approach to dealing with all racially motivated attacks including attacks on whites. Community sensitivities shouldn't be a consideration when dealing with serious crimes like these.

That said, I promise you UKIP are not the answer!!

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 01:21
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Notwithstanding bigotry, racism, insularity and parochialism being re-branded as 'Patriotism' there still remains a worst case scenario: Nigel Farage and Katie Hopkins have an affair, get married and start breeding....Dead
Best case scenario: they get together and fu*k off.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 01:55

Matthew, I admire your perseverance, but I'm not sure you'll find many UK based forum members who don't think that UKIP are a bit like the BNP with a couple of 'O' levels behind them... Confused

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 02:08
^ or Australian based forum members cobber...Wink I actually have a shred of sympathy for Farage and UKIP as their manifesto is not even remotely fascistic in intent but they must realise they are going to inherit vast swathes of lapsed Nazis/Little Englanders to the cause with all the poisonous PR that such a demographic can bring.

-------------

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 08:19
It's a pretty scary thought - unlikely but not impossible - if the Lib/Dems totally blank out and the Tories are leading party their best bet of a Coalition Partnership might just be with UKIP.......

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 11:10
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

It's a pretty scary thought - unlikely but not impossible - if the Lib/Dems totally blank out and the Tories are leading party their best bet of a Coalition Partnership might just be with UKIP.......

I can't see this happening. Although UKIP might get a worryingly high percentage of the vote overall, I don't think they'll win enough seats to be able to prop up the Tories on their own, even with DUP support. If Cameron doesn't get an outright majority, but wins the most seats, he'll realistically have no option other than to go cap in hand back to the Lib Dems if he wants to avoid 5 years of opposition.

-------------

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 11:35
[/QUOTE]

I can't see this happening. Although UKIP might get a worryingly high percentage of the vote overall, I don't think they'll win enough seats to be able to prop up the Tories on their own, even with DUP support. If Cameron doesn't get an outright majority, but wins the most seats, he'll realistically have no option other than to go cap in hand back to the Lib Dems if he wants to avoid 5 years of opposition.
[/QUOTE]

In that case, there would be an interesting conversation between Cameron and Clegg on the EU referendum.

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 11:39
how will UK elections affect Norway, does it affect us in anyway,that is what i care to know.

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 11:52
Originally posted by Kirillov Kirillov wrote:

[/QUOTE]

In that case, there would be an interesting conversation between Cameron and Clegg on the EU referendum.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'd thought of that one too... it'll be fudged then postponed until after 2020.. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 12:18
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

how will UK elections affect Norway, does it affect us in anyway,that is what i care to know.
If Farage wins then the kind people of Oslo can decide whether to send a christmas tree to London to put in Trafalgar Square this year or not. Since that tree is a symbol of gratitude for ridding Norway of fascist invaders it would seem inappropriate to continue the tradition. Wink

-------------
What?

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 16:53
God save the Queen.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 17:10
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

God save the Queen.

Hasn't she been saved long enough? Hey, you have to empty out the fridge every once in a while.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 21:39

Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 21:49

-------------

Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 23:31
LOL

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 11:47

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 11:58
Ah, the Ommunist party of Ritain ...  don't they run a tea-shop on Brick Lane?.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 12:03

....to be continued.... Wink

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 12:33
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Will you please stop trolling this thread. We know you are a troll you don't have to keep proving it. We have all the proof that is needed.

Look Comrade. I am a socialist and always have been but the communist party of <insert your favourite country here> is an extremist party of an extremist philosophy. Extremes are self-defeating, they simply do not work. Fascism does not work, Communism does not work, Capitalism does not work, Socialism does not work and Libertarianism/Anarchy will not work. They are all theoretical ideologies that are incapable of working in the real world. No single philosophy actually works in practice and (like it or not) true Democracy is so utterly impractical it is completely impossible to put into practice. Politics is the law of compromise - everything is a botched-up compromise that we get to re-botch every four years.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 12:55

Will you please stop trolling this thread. We know you are a troll you don't have to keep proving it. We have all the proof that is needed.

Look Comrade. I am a socialist and always have been but the communist party of <insert your favourite country here> is an extremist party of an extremist philosophy. Extremes are self-defeating, they simply do not work. Fascism does not work, Communism does not work, Capitalism does not work, Socialism does not work and Libertarianism/Anarchy will not work. They are all theoretical ideologies that are incapable of working in the real world. No single philosophy actually works in practice and (like it or not) true Democracy is so utterly impractical it is completely impossible to put into practice. Politics is the law of compromise - everything is a botched-up compromise that we get to re-botch every four years.
absolutely spot on, except for the very last bit. Cameron & Clegg made us wait fir five years as a result of the Fixed Term Parliament Act.

We could also, of course, make reference to the fact that there are about five different Commie Parties extant in the UK, plus various ragtag Trot groups.  The comrades never could just get on with each other....Wink

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 13:06
^ oops - mea culpa. Four years was wishful thinking. Wink

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 16:42

Given the repressive nature of every communist regime in history, I wonder why such a state is even considered any more. Eventually, one gets totalitarianism and violent suppression of freedoms, and, as with all political structures, a ruling elite that eats bon-bons while the proletariat lives in concrete bunkers. 

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 21:11
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Given the repressive nature of every communist regime in history, I wonder why such a state is even considered any more. Eventually, one gets totalitarianism and violent suppression of freedoms, and, as with all political structures, a ruling elite that eats bon-bons while the proletariat lives in concrete bunkers. 
The "evil" communists regimes were "succesfully" replaced with proto-fascist regimes in almost all ex-socialistic republic countries at Balkans and in Eastern Europe; thanks to "smart" foreign politics of Washington in last 30 yrs.
In my country the prime minister is a man who was the Minister of Information in gangster government of Milošević. At the present day, he is a man of the highest confidence of Washington; for example, he has regular meetings with Joe Biden. Washigton support his proto-fascist regime, although he is Serbian fascist and although he is deep in international organized crime and keeps an eye winking to Putin ( e.g. the officers of Serbian Army will took a part on the parade in Moscow in 9th May this year in Moscow)  just because he fulfills some idiotic requirements what, that's very interesting, Joe Baiden actually passed to him not from White House but from Brussel, some papers which in fact means nothing 'cause all of them always failed in real life and can not be implemented in 1000s years in the Balkans, but "poor" bureaucrats in Brusell must working something, 'cause, after all, why their parents were paying for their expensive colleges than that their "kids" now are sitting in the offices in Brussels and typing some bureaucratic nonsense (but "good for the Balkans") between two Youtube or XXX videos for extremely high salaries.
Actually, failed U.S. foreign policy on Balkans and Eastern Europe in last 30 yrs has made for example Milošević, but also Putin, who is now a slightly bigger problem than it was formerly New York banker Milošević, isn't? Yea, if you did not know, Milošević was worked, a several years before he became president of Serbia, at Wall Street as a director of a bank and had regular meetings with e.g. Rockefeller.

Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 03:08

The "evil" communists regimes were "succesfully" replaced with proto-fascist regimes in almost all ex-socialistic republic countries at Balkans and in Eastern Europe; thanks to "smart" foreign politics of Washington in last 30 yrs.
In my country the prime minister is a man who was the Minister of Information in gangster government of Milošević. At the present day, he is a man of the highest confidence of Washington; for example, he has regular meetings with Joe Biden. Washigton support his proto-fascist regime, although he is Serbian fascist and although he is deep in international organized crime and keeps an eye winking to Putin ( e.g. the officers of Serbian Army will took a part on the parade in Moscow in 9th May this year in Moscow)  just because he fulfills some idiotic requirements what, that's very interesting, Joe Baiden actually passed to him not from White House but from Brussel, some papers which in fact means nothing 'cause all of them always failed in real life and can not be implemented in 1000s years in the Balkans, but "poor" bureaucrats in Brusell must working something, 'cause, after all, why their parents were paying for their expensive colleges than that their "kids" now are sitting in the offices in Brussels and typing some bureaucratic nonsense (but "good for the Balkans") between two Youtube or XXX videos for extremely high salaries.
Actually, failed U.S. foreign policy on Balkans and Eastern Europe in last 30 yrs has made for example Milošević, but also Putin, who is now a slightly bigger problem than it was formerly New York banker Milošević, isn't? Yea, if you did not know, Milošević was worked, a several years before he became president of Serbia, at Wall Street as a director of a bank and had regular meetings with e.g. Rockefeller.
What does this have to do with UK General Election 2015? 

Communism isn't evil - it just doesn't work in practice. Power is evil. Greed is evil. Genocide is evil. Racism is evil. Hate is evil. War is evil. All these evils corrupt no matter what politics, philosophy or ideology is involved.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 06:27
Yesterday I did one of those FB quiz things that purport to tell me my voting affiliations based upon key-issues and policies. On every other subject such online quizzes either confirm what we already knew or get it so horribly wrong we wonder why we bothered wasting 10 minutes of our lives doing them and this was no different. Aside from their obvious entertainment/distraction value all these quizzes provide is as an excuse to update your FB status with whatever result they produce without having to justify what is being said.

http://uk.isidewith.com/political-quiz" rel="nofollow - This one claimed I sided 99% with Labour, 92% with The Greens and 87% with the Lib/Dems, needless to say all right and right of centre parties scored low (it also scored me high with the regional parties of Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland because they are essentially democratic socialist parties and low with English nationalists because they ain't) ... and that did little more than confirm what I already knew: I am a socialist, or to be more precise, a liberal socialist.

One line in the summary stated this: "You agree with most United Kingdom voters on almost all issues, especially Environmental and Social issues. This is rare, you should consider running for office!" ... and that got me thinking. 

The history of the British parliamentary system as been an erratic process of devolving power away from ruling elites in fits and starts as universal suffrage gave the vote to larger and larger portions of the population. Traditionally this was split along Whig (Liberal, Roundhead) and Tory (Conservative, Cavalier) lines of the land-owning elite until the reforms of 1918 and 1928 permitted the working classes to not only vote in elections but also form, and thus vote for, socialist political parties.  Because the electoral system does not give prizes for coming second this polarised voting to the extremes of left and right, have and have-nots, rural and urban, middle and working class, employer and employee, head and heart, social and economic, private/privatised and public/nationalised, north and south, east and west, regional and national, catholic and protestant, monarchist and republican, etc., that fractures the political party system from a two-party system (Tory and Whig or conservative and socialist) into the plethora of opposing parties that we have today.

What we are being asked to do is chose a single party whose policies, promises, philosophy and ideology will govern our country for the next five years in every aspect of what a government does - (economics, environment, social care/welfare, education, healthcare, defence, foreign and domestic policy, business, employment, transportation, taxation, regulation, etc., etc.,). 

Since no single party can fit that requirement to a degree that pleases the whole population then whoever wins will not have the support of the majority of the population even if they win an overall majority of seats in the parliament (which is still looking unlikely).

This seems "kinda nutty" to me. 

At present there seems to be two solutions to this (both of which have sorta been rejected on public referendum) - change the electoral system or devolve government into regional government. Even though I was a supporter of changing the electoral system I actually do not see that as a viable solution (especially in any of the proportional representation systems that have either been proposed or are in use in other countries) as this results in government of compromise, ransom/shady deals and big-boy bullying - it just seems to me to be more honest and fair than the current system that's all. Regional devolution merely shifts a single macro-problem down to lots of self-serving micro-problems without actually solving any of them (my forum location of "Albion" is not entirely a jokey response even though it has poetic/romantic Arthurian connotations) - there are some issues that are best served on a regional basis and there are many more issues that are not. I have often remarked that living in the affluent South of England my socialist vote is a wasted vote, in a devolved South of England (the logical conclusion of devolution) or "Wessex" as it would probably be called, the concept of socialism would become even more ineffectual to the point of being non-existent. Voting now would not be by ballot but by feet (or more accurately: removal van) - to get public healthcare or education (which I fully support) I would have to move to a region that favoured and implemented those policies. This may seem fanciful but essentially we are already doing this for employment - I am not a Wessex national, I moved here for the work, not because I wanted to live in a Conservative stronghold or because I supported the political persuasions of http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/mp.php?mpn=michael_mates" rel="nofollow - Michael Mates or http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/mp.php?mpn=damian_hinds" rel="nofollow - Damian Hinds . Similarly my father moved from Essex to Bedfordshire for work, just as his father moved from Yorkshire to Suffolk to Essex for work.

It seems to me that we are voting for the wrong people to do the wrong job. Few of them are qualified to do the job we are electing them to do (not that we get to chose who is in charge of healthcare, defence, trade and industry or the economy). In the "private sector" this would be unheard of - you don't employ a doctor to fix your plumbing, or a bus driver to run a multinational corporation. So why would we put a conservative politician in charge of the environment, or a socialist politician in charge of trade and industry?

If we must have party politics (which I have little doubt that we do if we want to remain a democracy), then rather than spilt-up the country on constituency lines to vote for our "local" representative for one of these government roles why not split-up the government into job-function and vote for the best-fit party for each of those roles? If Labour has the better social policies to your way of thinking then vote for them in social roles, if the Green's have better environmental policies in your opinion then vote for them to manage the environment, if you think that the Conservatives have better Foreign policies then vote for them to manage that and so on. Of course this idea cannot work in the state I have just described it, it has taken 800 years of ideas and reforms to get what we currently have so a radical re-think of government of the people by the people is going to take more than the 20 minutes I spent thinking about this while sitting in the café of a garden centre yesterday afternoon.

erm...

Vote for Me.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 07:16
Looks like this shocking event has killed Labour's chances off:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/steerpike/2015/05/labour-stays-silent-over-gender-segregation-at-party-rally/" rel="nofollow - http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/steerpike/2015/05/labour-stays-silent-over-gender-segregation-at-party-rally/

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 09:54

Like mostly everyone who blindly follows a political system (or religion, for that matter), your continued deflection and pointing of fingers to imagined external foes is pathetic.

I made a statement that communism is a failure worldwide in nearly every application, but I was also speaking in context to the British elections (ie., why would anyone vote for such an historically failed system?). You, however, again decide to go off on tangents that have literally nothing to do with the discussion, let alone to Britain in particular.

Here's an idea, stick to what you do best, spam the New Bands and Artists forum with an interminable amount of marginal Moldavian zither-playing bands that have about as much to do with prog as Dolly Parton.

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 10:36

Looks like this shocking event has killed Labour's chances off:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/steerpike/2015/05/labour-stays-silent-over-gender-segregation-at-party-rally/" rel="nofollow - http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/steerpike/2015/05/labour-stays-silent-over-gender-segregation-at-party-rally/

The readership of the Spectator is about 10,000.

it will not make a blind bit of difference.

-------------

Posted By: PROGMAN
Date Posted: May 06 2015 at 19:39
Plaid - and Johnathon Edwards is an MP in my area .

Labour and Plaid, have been sending duplicates of leaflets lately through the mail box lol and my mother ripped up the Tories leaflet, most people around where I live feel that way about them too.

-------------
CYMRU AM BYTH

Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 06:46
I've read the manifeto's I don't need endless bloody leaflets form any of these parties. They go straight in the re-cycling..

UKIP must be desperate in my area (Tory stronghold) I've had six leaflets from them. Two from each of the others apart from the Greens from whom I've had just one, which had about six bullet points on it paiting a socialist uotopia with no explantion of how it was going to be paid for. That's fairly standard fair I guess. All of these t***s promise to part the ocean for you, hoping that you'll just vote for them without asking how.

I actually think Ed Miliband has been reasonably honest in his campaigning, which is possibly why he's not going to win today...

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 06:59

Here's an idea, stick to what you do best, spam the New Bands and Artists forum with an interminable amount of marginal Moldavian zither-playing bands that have about as much to do with prog as Dolly Parton.

LOL 

Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 07:04
^^ Aye. All I've decided so far is who not to vote for... it's really a question of who gets my ineffectual protest vote: Labour, Lib/Dems or Greens (there are no independent candidates in my constituency).

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 07:52
I'm off down the polling booth after work to vote for some of this Socialist utopia that Andy's been promised... LOL

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 08:18
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

I'm off down the polling booth after work to vote for some of this Socialist utopia that Andy's been promised... LOL

Enjoy your voting experience Jared..

I'm going to vote after work too. I think this time round I'm going to draw a cartoon of the prophet or a caricature of Putin instead of casting a vote.

I'm all for this "Oh you must vote" malarkey, I just can't make up my mind if I'd rather be pissed on or shat on.

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 08:23
the former every time.

... Ermm

Embarrassed

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 08:32
So, in the spirit of Dean, we shall see if it's Cameroon or Milibland.

Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 08:35

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 08:56

the former every time.

... Ermm

Embarrassed

Absolutely...

-------------

Posted By: NutterAlert
Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 09:15
wonder if anyone will get their swingometer out?

Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 11:38
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11589978/Tower-Hamlets-anti-vote-leaflets-urging-StayMuslimDontVote-stuck-to-car-windscreens.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11589978/Tower-Hamlets-anti-vote-leaflets-urging-StayMuslimDontVote-stuck-to-car-windscreens.html

Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 13:29
Just read the Green Party manifesto, it sounds great -

500,000 new homes
10% cut in public transport fares
Scrap University tuition fees

and no word on how they're going to pay for it except for a tax on the rich.

Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 16:05
Per Guardian:

Conservatives: 316

Labour: 239

SNP: 58

Lib Dems: 10

Plaid Cymru: 4

Greens: 2

Ukip: 2

Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 16:10
Someone said this is Labour's worst showing in almost 30 years.

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 16:33
wow - this looks like a big gap

Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 16:39
That'll be a big surprise if it's right.

"Lib Dem election chief Lord Ashdown told the BBC: "If this exit poll is right I will publicly eat my hat.""

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 16:43
Labour got my vote, although in my neck of the woods it's basically farting into a hurricane. The Green manifesto was the one I liked best, so they got my vote for the local council ( and in Europe last year, for all the good it did).

Katie Hopkins vowed to leave the country if Ed Milliband becomes PM, which is reason enough to support Labour in itself.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 18:06
what is Plaid Cymru?

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 18:21
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

what is Plaid Cymru?
Plaid is the posh word for tartan, which as we all know is a French tarte made with caramelised apples; cymru is the Gaelic word for custard, or as the French say it crčme anglaise.

So there you have it: Plaid Cymru is Tarte Tatin avec Crčme Anglaise or as we say in Albion: Apple Pie and Custard.

nom nom nom Approve

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 18:26
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

wow - this looks like a big gap
It's still 10 seats shy of a majority so it's either a Con-Dem'd coalition again or a Lab-SNP-Dem-Plaid-Green (ie the anti-Tory) coalition [which isn't as fanciful as it sounds since they're all basically socialist].

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 21:30
Can Miliband survive this result?

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 23:12
very strange that labour party are losing votes to other smaller parties.

Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 23:13
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Can Miliband survive this result?
Nope, it is clear even with these early results he won't. Hug

Date Posted: May 07 2015 at 23:15
Everyone hates the Torries, but I as an outsider happen to really like that party :)

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: May 08 2015 at 03:22
Well Labour set themselves up for this when they appointed the "wrong" Milliband.  A knee jerk reaction by the Unions after the moderate Blair-Brown years.  I can pretty much guarantee that with his brother in charge of the party they would be in power this morning.  I've been a Labour voter all my life but simply do not trust Milliband (Ed) to run the country.

To be fair, I do not think the Tories have done too bad in this term.  The economy is looking better for a start, though I concede it couldn't have got worse.  Whilst I certainly do not agree with most of the Tory policies they have some things right, and I remember when doing my Economics A level (in the deep and distant past LOL) that I always thought their fiscal policy seemed the right way to go about things.  My teacher, a grizzled hard-core Labour veteran, verging on Communist, confided in me that he too thought their monetary policy made more sense (Shocked).

Will it be an overall majority?  It's going to be close.

Note the Lib-Dems have been virtually wiped off the face of the earth.  That's as a result of jumping into bed with the Tories, their credibility has been destroyed.  They were always pretty close to Labour back in the day, remember the Lib-Lab pact anybody? Embarrassed

Date Posted: May 08 2015 at 05:14
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Everyone hates the Torries, but I as an outsider happen to really like that party :)
I suspect that is because you are an outsider Wink

-------------
What?

Posted By: NutterAlert
Date Posted: May 08 2015 at 06:09
So..Dave and Gideon keep their hand up history's skirt. No King Nigel 1st. Ed milliamp can return to his own planet. A triumph for the importance of voting. UKIP get 13% and one seat. Would be a travesty had it not happened to a load of racists. Cheerio Nigel. Shut the door as you go.

Date Posted: May 08 2015 at 06:14

Everyone hates the Torries

Apparently not.

As far as party leaders go, it looks like it's 2 down, 1 to go.  Looking forward to watching Paddy eating his hat.

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: May 08 2015 at 06:53
Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

A triumph for the importance of voting. UKIP get 13% and one seat. Would be a travesty had it not happened to a load of racists. Cheerio Nigel. Shut the door as you go.

It IS a travesty and will only add to the alienation increasing numbers of people feel about the current political system. One party (UKIP) only gets one MP for well over 3 million votes, while another (SNP) gets an MP for every 20,000-25,000. Absurd and hopefully this will be a catalyst for major electoral reform.

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Date Posted: May 08 2015 at 06:53
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Everyone hates the Torries

Apparently not.

As far as party leaders go, it looks like it's 2 down, 1 to go.  Looking forward to watching Paddy eating his hat.
For what it is worth I believe that Paddy is a man of his word. Sometime in the near future I fully expect a face-saving publicity stunt (no doubt all in aid of charity) where he and Alistair Campbell will sit down to a meal of hat and kilt. 

-------------
What?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk