Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=102111
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 21:54
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 20 Italian Wambamthankyoumams
Posted By: Guldbamsen
Subject: 20 Italian Wambamthankyoumams
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 10:20
I don't expect people to know them all, but it'd be cool if you knew at least a couple of em and furthermore care to drop a line on it; maybe that it makes you howl at the moon or feel a strong urge to bathe in the sea - anything really that could help folks who aren't in the know by reversing their situation...by any means necessary.

Choose mother goose

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Replies:
Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 10:23
Haven't heard every one but I voted for Ballocchi.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 10:28
I had no idea what to vote for....I know all except one or two of them, love all of them, are there's at least ten here that are especially special to me!

So I copped out and simply voted for the one I've listened to the most, which is Edgar Allan Poe's `Generazioni'!

I probably should have gone for the Festa Mobile one, but all good!

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 10:29
Nice pick DarrylClap
The music really complements the album art I find. Nice for morning walks or for looking at specks of dust caught on the air.

I've heard some say that it's too docile of an album - that it doesn't go anywhereConfused Madness!

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 10:32
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I had no idea what to vote for....I know all except one or two of them, love all of them, are there's at least ten here that are especially special to me!

So I copped out and simply voted for the one I've listened to the most, which is Edgar Allan Poe's `Generazioni'!

I probably should have gone for the Festa Mobile one, but all good!

Funny you should mention the two that I remember the least out of the bunchTongue
I do remember digging the hell out of Generazioni when I last heard it though. 

Do you have that Blocco Mentale one Michael?

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 10:34
ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING !!!!!

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 10:41
That's a duck who's in mighty fine shape right there! 

I had a sneaking suspicion that you'd have a couple of faves hidden in this mix.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 10:45
Excepted De de Lind (I don't like the riffs, but the cool parts are OK) and Sensitiva Immagine (My russian Cd edition is terrible. Michael has the same), I love them all. 

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 10:56
I picked Buon Vecchio Charlie-a great classically inspired album with some especially great keys work; the drummer went to join Libra!

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 10:57
I don't own a copy of the Sensitiva Immagine album, but I've heard some of it off jootooobEmbarrassed

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 11:11
The Cd is dying and its funerals are expensive. 

I need a turnable !!!

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 11:12
What? I thought you also collected vinyls Pierre.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 11:17
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Is that Howard The Duck??? Oh man, I remember that movie. I feel like I'm 10 again.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 11:17
No, I already eat, sleep and make love on a pillow of Cd's. I still hesitate to buy to myself a mattress of vinyles. 

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 11:18
LOL
You know what though, I had the exact same preservations going into the turntable world. Then I bought a hundred used LPs in one go, and I haven't looked back since. 
I love the 'reverence' of the media, and there is just something sexy about being able to see the music being sucked out of this vinyl groove by a needle. Way more intimate than the laserbeam they hide behind plastic and wood imo. 
Then again, I still collect cds... 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 11:22
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I picked Buon Vecchio Charlie-a great classically inspired album with some especially great keys work; the drummer went to join Libra!

Love this album with all of it's raw unadulterated youth storming through it.....even if it does sound like it was recorded inside a small broom closetBig smile

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 11:23
I am not going to be able to resist for a long time.

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 11:24
LOLClap

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 11:28
I've only heard about half of these but I've been a long time fan of Maxophone.
Cervello and Buon Vecchio Charlie are more recent favorites but when it came time 
to vote I had to go with Festa Mobile. The full album is great but what stands out for
me is the excellent piano and guitar.

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 11:34
Yep that does it - I definitely need to revisit that Festa Mobile album. You're second one to bring up this record.

I'm glad you got your hands on Melos. One of my longest standing relationships in the world of RPIHeart

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 11:41
This song is a big favorite of mine and ... Jim too.

Festa Mobile - 1973 Diario di viaggio della festa mobile - 05 Ritorno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxABKQzLk1Y

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 11:46
Fallax

-------------

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 11:48
I recently discovered Apoteosi's self-titled effort. A wonderful album.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 11:58
Nice pick MartinThumbs Up

I've actually just finished it myself. Love the 'sound' of that record.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 12:01
Very difficult poll but i voted for Maxophone one off debut

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 12:06
Max o phone? You surprise me my furry friend. I wouldn't have guessed that.
It is a popular record around here though, I know of a couple of members who swear by it. Sagi for instance.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 12:13
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Fine list, Guldy. Heard half of these and like most of this half but that Alusa Fallax have un petit je-ne-sais-quoi...very special one.

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 12:15
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Fine list, Guldy. Heard half of these and like most of this half but that Alusa Fallax have un petit je-ne-sais-quoi...very special one.

I know exactly what you mean. I think that's what I meant by that 'sound' too. Every instrument sounds so warm and welcoming....and then there's that mellotron. Oh boy.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 12:29

Yep that does it - I definitely need to revisit that Festa Mobile album. You're second one to bring up this record.

I'm glad you got your hands on Melos. One of my longest standing relationships in the world of RPIHeart
As I mentioned awhile back, I'm a big fan of Corrado Rustici's guitar work.
Melos is way up on my list of recent purchases.

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 13:22

Great and strange album. What BTF is waiting to reissue this one and a bunch of others !!!????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4o-uX8zKB8

Posted By: Atkingani
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 13:40
Great list! I'd vote for all... but I cast it to Semiramis.

Murple and Reale Accademia are missing IMHO.

-------------
Guigo

~~~~~~

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 13:47
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Great list! I'd vote for all... but I cast it to Semiramis.

Murple and Reale Accademia are missing IMHO.

I think I gave it 4 stars when i reviewed it, but I've seriously been thinking about bumping it up to the full kahuna. It is such an infectious album. When I finish it I instantly want to listen to it again.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 14:05
I only know 6 albums from that list, mostly from your recommendations Tongue Voted for Franco Leprino Thumbs Up

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 14:14
Beautiful album Sam and great choice if I do have to say so myself. Music for lying on the floor and melting into it....on a good day.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 14:16
I've only heard a few of these but I absolutely

love the Semiramis and Maxophone albums

voted Semiramis

need to check out a few more!

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 14:20
Don't know all of them but Franco Leprino is my fav here

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 14:20
First vote for Cervello.

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 15:58
^LOL

Too many to choose from.  I have about 13 of these, heard about 3 more on the list.  I will cast the first vote for Blocco Mentale - POA.  Its got a good mix of all that classic RPI sound.  I fell for it big time on a 10 our drive 2 years ago where all I played was a RPI lineup and this one hit me good, most likely I had not given it good quality listens before.

POA it is!

-------------

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 16:12
Too many good choices. Went with Campo di Marte.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 16:44
Voted for Generazioni because it's the only one I've actually heard.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 17:04
The Great Dane strikes again!
I will return but i'm leaning towards Campo Di Marte.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 21:40
This is a head scratcher for sure. 

I'll go  Dedicato per Frazz this time. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: April 24 2015 at 23:38
Maxophone, very easily.

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 02:59
I've only heard the Semiramis and Maxophone ones out of the albums on this list. Voted Dedicato a Frazz. Just gotta love its youthful energy!

Really wish to delve into RPI more, but both time and money have been coming up too short. In time though, I hope to get as acquainted as I wish to be with this beautiful and exciting sub-genre.

-------------

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 04:16
At first I thought about writing "impossible" but then I saw you know which and of course voted for it

But great selection of album Dave without including the genre's big names.

Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 04:22
^ Maxophone, am I right? Smile

Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 06:39
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Maxophone, am I right? Smile

Yep! Highly recommended if you haven't checked it out yet.

Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 06:50
Mmmmm .... Maxophone is leading. I suspect a conspiracy.

Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 07:31
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Yep! Highly recommended if you haven't checked it out yet.
It's one of the few I know, although I only listened to it once Embarrassed I'll have to give it another listen Smile

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 08:20
I know them all!

And while I love almost all of them, it's very hard to vote for one.  My favorites from the list would be Cervello, Apoteosi, JET, Paese.  And beyond the choices so many more.  Such a deep bench Italy has.  A lifetime's quest.  Smile

-------------

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 08:23

I'm with you!  I barely consider that album RPI.  Very little sauce. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 09:16
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

^LOL

Too many to choose from.  I have about 13 of these, heard about 3 more on the list.  I will cast the first vote for Blocco Mentale - POA.  Its got a good mix of all that classic RPI sound.  I fell for it big time on a 10 our drive 2 years ago where all I played was a RPI lineup and this one hit me good, most likely I had not given it good quality listens before.

POA it is!

Hi Jim

I've had this album lying around for a couple of years without ever really noticing it. That has however been made up for in spades seeing as I've been spinning it non-stop for the better part of April. What can I say? It just suddenly clicked with me.

One of my favourite things about Poa is the vocals. I love the nasal touch there is to them and it rather reminds me of the singers from Cervello and Procession that too sport that charismatic and almost boyish quality. 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 09:32
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

The Great Dane strikes again!
I will return but i'm leaning towards Campo Di Marte.

Indeed he does! Strike first ask questions later. 
Campo di Marte's s/t is one of those that I tend to overlook, and then when I finally pop it on, I wonder why it took me so longLOL
Really thrilling concept album about war and all of it's atrocities. Something I personally feel is underlined by the rumbling drumming duo that frequently roars and gallops like a regular buffalo herd. Those drums make the theme of war almost tangible. 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 09:46
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

This is a head scratcher for sure. 

I'll go  Dedicato per Frazz this time. 

Italian hulk for the win eh? 
Heh and I actually thought you would go for something like Pholas Dactylus. 

Which reminds me of an album I completely forgot to includeWacko Per una scultura di Ceschia by Nascita della Sfera! Not that is has anything in common with Pholas Dactylus other than being an experimental left-field release. 
Definitely something I could see you digging Phil. Steve-moly is already on the bandwagon, but then again he does love his music with a pinch of weird.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 09:56
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

I've only heard the Semiramis and Maxophone ones out of the albums on this list. Voted Dedicato a Frazz. Just gotta love its youthful energy!

Really wish to delve into RPI more, but both time and money have been coming up too short. In time though, I hope to get as acquainted as I wish to be with this beautiful and exciting sub-genre.

You have a lot to look forward to then AudunWink
Just as a small preview of what is to come, and because I know that you've got a thing for reeds in prog, I give to you

I'm rather surprised to see that this album still is without votes tbh.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 10:06
On second vote for me !

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 10:40
Great poll and nice selection, Dave! As an RPI lover, it's hard to choose only one. Campo di Marte, Maxophone, Semiramis, Cervello, Apoteosi, Buon Vecchio Charlie are all great options to vote for, but I went with the beautiful Alusa Fallax.Clap

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 11:09
Couldn't find Rocky's Filj on CD but there's a used vinyl copy on Amazon for only $375.  Wacko

Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 11:33
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I know them all!

And while I love almost all of them, it's very hard to vote for one.  My favorites from the list would be Cervello, Apoteosi, JET, Paese.  And beyond the choices so many more.  Such a deep bench Italy has.  A lifetime's quest.  Smile

Ahh a connoisseur?LOL

You're so right though. The accumulated output of the Italian scene, just from the golden years, is almost incomprehensible. I can vividly imagine looking for 70s gems the rest of my life.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 11:33
Here

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/ROCKYS-FILJ-Storie-di-uomini-e-non-2003-BMG-REPLICA-VINYL-CD-PROG-NEW-/311326402242?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_101&hash=item487c7fe6c2

or better there

http://www.discogs.com/Rockys-Filj-Storie-Di-Uomini-E-Non/release/3680712

Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 11:46
Gary, try BTF too : 

http://www.btf.it/  and of course the Greg Walker online catalog :

http://synphonic.8m.com/catalogs-prog.htm

If it's your first time with Greg, you have to write and tell him what you want to order. He answers and ships very quickly. 

Date Posted: April 25 2015 at 12:12
Thanks Pierre, I'll look into that. I've found many good deals on Amazon, some for less than $10.
But several others I've been interested in were between $35 and $70 (E.A. Poe, Etna, Apoteosi, Murple
and IL Trono Dei Ricordi).

Date Posted: April 26 2015 at 04:50
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I'm with you!  I barely consider that album RPI.  Very little sauce. 
Shocked Very little sauce?
Honestly quality aside, I think it has plenty of RPI sauce, I agree it has more influences from english prog than those hardcore RPI releases but I find it to be much more RPIish than PFM for example. But without trying to compare I find it to be a 100% Italian heart.

Date Posted: April 26 2015 at 04:59
Jim was joking, no ? Me yes. 

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: April 26 2015 at 05:23
Il Paese del Ballocchi is one of my favorite records all time.

Date Posted: April 26 2015 at 06:35
Thumbs Up and it's not far to be one of mine.  Such a unique and mysterious journey !

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: April 26 2015 at 11:22
Too many great albums here to pick from but in the end I did go with Campo Di Marte which perfectly suits my tastes.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: April 26 2015 at 17:37
no votes for the mighty Pholas Dactylus?

correcting that.

for shame. An album straight up my stylistic alley.. brutal heavy and yet strangely beautiful

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 08:08

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

You have a lot to look forward to then AudunWink
Just as a small preview of what is to come, and because I know that you've got a thing for reeds in prog, I give to you

I'm rather surprised to see that this album still is without votes tbh.
I enjoyed that. Will be on the look out for a decent CD copy of it. Thanks.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk