Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=102214
Printed Date: April 18 2024 at 08:25
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 70s The Who Vs 10cc
Posted By: Svetonio
Subject: 70s The Who Vs 10cc
Date Posted: April 30 2015 at 23:59
"70s The Who" means that the voters should forget for a moment that 60s The Who, and also post-Moon era The Who.
Please vote.

Replies:
Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 01:03
The Who, and it is not even close from a galactic perspective. Pick an album, Who's Next or Quadrophenia, and you've obliterated anything 10cc ever released. This is one odd match-up though, Svetty.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 01:49

I like Who's Next , The Who By Numbers and Quadrophenia than anything by 10CC that I've heard. 10CC were a very clever pop group that made listening to radio a little easier at the time. I am fond of them but The Who are legends.

Posted By: Komandant Shamal
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 02:45
Both great English bands, both very arty, NEVER prog imo... Voted The Who due to "Who's Next" at the first place.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 02:56
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The Who, and it is not even close from a galactic perspective. Pick an album, Who's Next or Quadrophenia, and you've obliterated anything 10cc ever released. This is one odd match-up though, Svetty.

This.

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 03:55

You didn't understood the poll question, Elffy LOL
The poll question is "which act you prefer", not "which band released more worthy albums for the History of 70s Rock" LOL

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 07:07

Seconded.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 07:23
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I like Who's Next , The Who By Numbers and Quadrophenia than anything by 10CC that I've heard. 10CC were a very clever pop group that made listening to radio a little easier at the time. I am fond of them but The Who are legends.

This. I like 10cc but I like The Who more.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 08:52
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

This.

This plus one---but not a huge fan of either but Quad is cool.

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 11:33
I like the Who, but I LOVE 10cc... Kevin Godley's voice is possibly the most angelic voice in rock.

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 12:35
Even if The Who By Numbers was the only album they put out in the 70's, 10cc still doesn't come close.

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 12:39
The Who by some distance.

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 13:50
THE WHO

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 14:25

For me, Sheet Music and The Original Soundtrack obliterate anything The Who did in the 70s for quality, and were reasonably close in terms of commercial success. Both are perfectly crafted art rock albums and are far more progressive than anything The Who did.

The Who were NEVER classed as a prog band in the 70s - indeed, until punk reared its ugly head, they were the absolute antithesis of prog. 10CC were the definitive art rock band, and art rock was indisputably classed as prog.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 20:24
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

(...)

(...)

The Who were NEVER classed as a prog band in the 70s - indeed, until punk reared its ugly head, they were the absolute antithesis of prog. (...)

Clap
Although The Who were recorded a few proggy songs for Quadrophenia (imo, that's those two instrumentals and Doctor Jimmy) you're right - they were an antithesis of prog in 70s 'till punk hysteria.

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 20:33
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

Even if The Who By Numbers was the only album they put out in the 70's, 10cc still doesn't come close.
By Numbers is my fav album by The Who. I love all the songs, production, album cover, and also I prefer that Nicky Hopkins' majestical piano work more than Pete Townshend's synths on Quadrophenia.

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 20:42
^ I love The Who By Numbers too, but for Nicky Hopkins' piano, you can't beat 'Getting In Tune' from Who's Next. I used to listen to that song on repeat again and again!

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 21:12
10cc by an extremely wide margin, the song-writing combinations (Godley/Creme, Gouldman/Stewart, Stewart/Creme and Gouldman/Creme) created some of the most lyrically and musically "smart" Art Rock of that time - the only other Art Rock band who could match or even top them was Sparks. Both those bands were skilled in making that clever artiness (art for art's sake) appear as easily digestible pop music (see: I Bought A Flat Guitar Tutor from Deceptive Bends). 

Also, I dislike practically everything The Who did in the 70s compared to their (late) 60s magnificence - in the 70s they stopped being a Pop-Art / Art Rock band and just became another posing Rock band. (IMO)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

for future info: Neither are Prog bands so this poll should have been started in General Music Discussions and a PM sent to an Admin requesting it to be moved to the Proto Prog and Prog Related lounge.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 02:54
^LOL talk about over egging it

Baba O'Riley is easily one of the best prog tracks I've ever heard and actually the very thing that got me interested in the genre. Quad is a massive album in scope if nothing else and rivals The Wall, pre dating it by a few years I think. The Who By Numbers was a record of a guy writing intensely personal stuff. 'Posing' eh? Really I expect better from you Dean. 10CC were fun but then bringing Sparks into it as wellEmbarrassed

Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 04:42

Baba O'Riley is easily one of the best prog tracks I've ever heard and actually the very thing that got me interested in the genre. Quad is a massive album in scope if nothing else and rivals The Wall, pre dating it by a few years I think. The Who By Numbers was a record of a guy writing intensely personal stuff. 'Posing' eh? Really I expect better from you Dean. 10CC were fun but then bringing Sparks into it as wellEmbarrassed
How Dare You? Have a different opinion to me by all means but Who Are You telling me what I can and cannot like? Better? I couldn't give a flying fart whether you expect better of me or not, the OP asked for which we prefer and I answered it truthfully. Your reprimand reeks of musical snobbery and I have no time for that kind of elitism, one thing I really enjoy about being me is ignoring peer-pressure to like the same music that the "cool kids" like and I have been enjoying that simple pleasure from an early age. Therefore I prefer 10cc (and Sparks) to everything The Who did in the 1970 including Quadrophenia and Who's Next ... I heard By Numbers once back in the 70s and I simply didn't like it - I couldn't give a crap about how personal it was or how stoned Townshend was or how pissed Moon was - I didn't like it therefore I do not prefer it to anything 10CC did. Similarly I don't care how massive you think Quadrophenia is in scope or whether it pre-dates and/or rivals The Wall and frankly those are completely and utterly irrelevant "observations" - I found it dull and unengaging to my personal tastes therefore I don't prefer it to anything that 10cc did. On balance I probably prefer Sparks to 10cc or The Who because their music and lyrics were more avant-garde and yes, of course 10cc and Sparks were fun, who said that music has to be not-fun? 

Yes, I thought The Who in the 1970s had become just another posing Rock band just like Led Zepp'lin and Bad Company (sorry, I don't either of like them much either). 

You are entitled to dismiss Pop Music and can even look down your nose at those of us who see more in it than the superficial that you apparently do but I don't believe you need to feel embarrassed on my behalf or be disappointed by my inability to achieve your lofty expectations.

As for Baba O'bloody Riley - it is not a Prog track by any stretch of the imagination but just for once rather than explain to you how and why it isn't I throw the floor open to you to explain how and why is... 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 05:33
Originally posted by Kirillov Kirillov wrote:

^ I love The Who By Numbers too, but for Nicky Hopkins' piano, you can't beat 'Getting In Tune' from Who's Next. I used to listen to that song on repeat again and again!

I'm not a big fan of Getting In Tune, so I think that I can beat Getting In Tune with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBAmUw8nG0s" rel="nofollow - this song from By Numbers Wink

Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 08:05
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

The poll question is "which act you prefer", not "which band released more worthy albums for the History of 70s Rock" LOL

I understood the question, even though you botched the English.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: A_Flower
Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 22:53
The Who is to 10cc as Larks' Tounges in Aspic is to Love Beach and hell, I like 10cc

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 11:36
You are who, you you you you you.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 11:42

Thank you, Elffy. 
I'm still learning the language of the enemy of my country.

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 11:50

Thank you, Elffy. 
You're still learning English too it seems. Wink

-------------
What?

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 11:59
next time try a harder one

like Zeppelin vs Willie Nelson

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 12:34
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Thank you, Elffy. 
The goverment(s) of The Great Britain is also a big enemy of my country. Tony Bler was the biggest supporter of NATO bombing of Federal Republic of Yugoslavia what was done without the permission of UN Security Council, yet also it was out of NATO constitution act as well. It was a huge war crime because your Royal Air Force were bombing civilians, schools, hospitals, bridges, trains full of civilans and other civilian targets. Tony Bler is now an official advisor of pro-fascist goverment in Belgrade, installed by NATO services. But don't worry, Balkans will be in the flame again Wink

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 12:38
ta dah! I win. Approve

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 12:52

ta dah! I win. Approve
This time you can push your "victory" right into drains.

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 12:54

ta dah! I win. Approve
This time you can push your "victory" right into drains.
If you so wish. It does not bother me one bit. You have trolled your own thread - how bad can it now get?

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 12:57

Thank you, Elffy. 
The goverment(s) of The Great Britain is also a big enemy of my country. Tony Bler was the biggest supporter of NATO bombing of Federal Republic of Yugoslavia what was done without the permission of UN Security Council, yet also it was out of NATO constitution act as well. It was a huge war crime because your Royal Air Force were bombing civilians, schools, hospitals, bridges, trains full of civilans and other civilian targets.

Ummm...Svetty, it is rather ironic that you point fingers at other countries while Yugoslavia under Milošević  was committing genocide. Perhaps you should study the history of your own country.

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 13:09

Thank you, Elffy. 
The goverment(s) of The Great Britain is also a big enemy of my country. Tony Bler was the biggest supporter of NATO bombing of Federal Republic of Yugoslavia what was done without the permission of UN Security Council, yet also it was out of NATO constitution act as well. It was a huge war crime because your Royal Air Force were bombing civilians, schools, hospitals, bridges, trains full of civilans and other civilian targets.

Ummm...Svetty, it is rather ironic that you point fingers at other countries while Yugoslavia under Milošević  was committing genocide. Perhaps you should study the history of your own country.
You don't know nothing about 90s Balkans wars. Bosnian Serbs did do the genocide on Muslim men in Srebrenica, Bosnia, while they ( Bosnian Serbs) were under embargo of Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. Slobodan Milošević, although an a-hole, have nothing to do with that genocide. Actually, Interantional Court in Hague offiicially confirmed that Yugoslavia (Serbia) wasn't responsible for that genocide.
Federal Republic of Yugoslavia was bombing in favor of so called "Kosovo Liberation Army" who was on your goverment's  official and published  list of the terrorists organizations until spring 1997. The NATO bombing on Yugoalavia was started just two years after, in March 1999. So the bad guys from Kosovo were turned into good guys within two years? LOL
Give me a break.

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 13:10

Thank you, Elffy. 

Quite true. And if Anthony Charles Lynton Blair should be tried for war crimes (and I'm not say that he should or should not - I actually do not have an opinion on the matter either way) then surely it should be for his involvement the 2003 Iraq War.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 13:17

Thank you, Elffy. 

You don't know nothing about 90s Balkans wars. Bosnian Serbs did do the genocide on Muslim men in Srebrenica, Bosnia, while they ( Bosnian Serbs) were under embargo of Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. Slobodan Milošević, although an a-hole, have nothing to do with that genocide.
Federal Republic of Yugoslavia was bombing in favor of so called "Kosovo Liberation Army" who was on your goverment's  official and published  list of terrorists organizations untill spring 1997. The NATO bombing on Yugoaslavia was started just two years in March 1999. So the bad guys from Kosovo turned into good guys within two years? LOL
Give me a break.
Oh, but I do know about the Balkan Wars. I probably know more about it because you and your Serb friends were under information media black-out by your fine, upstanding Milošević  and his goon squad.

And unfortunately, Milošević died in a jail cell before he could be hanged right and proper.

In regards to Kosovo, the UN Supreme Court found ample evidence of "a systematic campaign of terror, including murders, rapes, arsons and severe maltreatments" by your buddies in the Serb army. Do you know how many bodies were found buried, Svetty?

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 13:20

Quite true. And if Anthony Charles Lynton Blair should be tried for war crimes (and I'm not say that he should or should not - I actually do not have an opinion on the matter either way) then surely it should be for his involvement the 2003 Iraq War.

Throw in Bush and Cheney (although I think Cheney was the puppet master to Bush's marionette). I remember shouting at the TV: "Hey, guys, you're in the wrong place! Concentrate on f*cking Afghanistan (and Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, for that matter).

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 13:27

Thank you, Elffy. 

You don't know nothing about 90s Balkans wars. Bosnian Serbs did do the genocide on Muslim men in Srebrenica, Bosnia, while they ( Bosnian Serbs) were under embargo of Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. Slobodan Milošević, although an a-hole, have nothing to do with that genocide.
Federal Republic of Yugoslavia was bombing in favor of so called "Kosovo Liberation Army" who was on your goverment's  official and published  list of terrorists organizations untill spring 1997. The NATO bombing on Yugoaslavia was started just two years in March 1999. So the bad guys from Kosovo turned into good guys within two years? LOL
Give me a break.
Oh, but I do know about the Balkan Wars. I probably know more about it because you and your Serb friends were under information media black-out by your fine, upstanding Milošević  and his goon squad.

And unfortunately, Milošević died in a jail cell before he could be hanged right and proper.

In regards to Kosovo, the UN Supreme Court found ample evidence of "a systematic campaign of terror, including murders, rapes, arsons and severe maltreatments" by your buddies in the Serb army. Do you know how many bodies were found buried, Svetty?
Oh, so many terrorists were killed. 
However, why your secret services as CIA, NSA, etc, didn't kill Milošević in 1991, or 1992, or 1997? Why you supported Milošević that whole decade until your Air Force get the order to bomb so many civilian targets in Yugoslavia and kill so many children even in children hospital and schools? By mistake? Your military satellites' pics weren't clear enough?

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 13:36
Hey Elffy, give a quick read about your new friends in Kosovo:  http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/council-adopts-dick-marty-s-kosovo-report/29328740" rel="nofollow - http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/council-adopts-dick-marty-s-kosovo-report/29328740

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 13:43

Thank you, Elffy. 

Give me a break.

However, why your secret service didn't kill Milošević in 1991, or 1992, or 1997? Why you supported Milošević that whole decade until your Air Force get the order to bomb so many civilan targets in Yugoslavia?
We intervened while you were massacring civilians in Bosnia, but your television feed probably didn't include any news regarding that. All you had most likely was David Hasselhoff TV reruns. Obviously, Milošević didn't learn and had to be bombed. Oh well.

P.S. Last time I checked, it wasn't necessarily the U.S. Secret Service's job to assassinate heads-of-state (they protect the president and arrest forgers usually). Do you mean the CIA? That really isn't their job either.

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 13:58

Thank you, Elffy. 

Give me a break.

However, why your secret service didn't kill Milošević in 1991, or 1992, or 1997? Why you supported Milošević that whole decade until your Air Force get the order to bomb so many civilan targets in Yugoslavia?
We intervened while you were massacring civilians in Bosnia, but your television feed probably didn't include any news regarding that. All you had most likely was David Hasselhoff TV reruns. Obviously, Milošević didn't learn and had to be bombed. Oh well.

P.S. Last time I checked, it wasn't necessarily the U.S. Secret Service's job to assassinate heads-of-state (they protect the president and arrest forgers usually). Do you mean the CIA? That really isn't their job either.
Oh sorry, I didn't know that CIA is become an humanitarian organization in meantime. But I wonder why is that rise of anti-americanism  in the World, even in the West Europe, if your politics were so nice since Reagan era to Bush Jr?

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 14:08

Oh sorry, I didn't know that CIA is become an humanitarian organization in meantime. But I wonder why is that rise of anti-americanism  in the World, even in the West Europe, if your politics were so nice since Reagan era to Bush Jr?

Is changing the subject your futile attempt at deflecting the true nature of why you got bombed? You committed genocide and you were getting around to committing more atrocities. You had to be stopped, you were bombed, and your leader was eventually captured as a war criminal by the UN. Admit it and move on.

Personally, I don't give a damn if there is Anti-Americanism. The less the U.S. is involved with sewers, the less sh*t will be on our shoes.

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 14:12

Is changing the subject your futile attempt at deflecting the true nature of why you got bombed? You committed genocide and you were getting around to committing more atrocities. You had to be stopped, you were bombed, and your leader was eventually captured as a war criminal by the UN. Admit it and move on.

Personally, I don't give a damn if there is Anti-Americanism. The less the U.S. is involved with sewers, the less sh*t will be on our shoes.
Are your politics towards Iraq maybe created conditions for the emergence of ISIS?

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 14:13

Are your politics towards Iraq maybe created conditions for the emergence of ISIS?

Keep deflecting, genocide apologist.

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 14:21

Oh man I see that you are well informed! Please tell me how many billions of petro-dollars Saudi Arabia is pay per year to your politicians to keep the mouth shut re human rights in Saudi Arabia?

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 14:26

Oh man I see that you are well informed! Please tell me how many billions of petro-dollars Saudi Arabia is pay per year to your politicians to keep the mouth shut re human rights in Saudi Arabia?

Before you continue down this inane path, please review my previous statement regarding Iraq and Saudi Arabia. I do not agree with my government in that regard. I never have.

Now, are you going to continue with your Milošević man-love and keep on deflecting?

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 14:35

Before you continue down this inane path, please review my previous statement regarding Iraq and Saudi Arabia. I do not agree with my government in that regard. I never have.

Now, are you going to continue with your Milošević man-love and keep on deflecting?

My man Slobodan leave me with another guy Cry

Date Posted: May 05 2015 at 02:56

How Dare You? Have a different opinion to me by all means but Who Are You telling me what I can and cannot like? Better? I couldn't give a flying fart whether you expect better of me or not, the OP asked for which we prefer and I answered it truthfully. Your reprimand reeks of musical snobbery and I have no time for that kind of elitism, one thing I really enjoy about being me is ignoring peer-pressure to like the same music that the "cool kids" like and I have been enjoying that simple pleasure from an early age. Therefore I prefer 10cc (and Sparks) to everything The Who did in the 1970 including Quadrophenia and Who's Next ... I heard By Numbers once back in the 70s and I simply didn't like it - I couldn't give a crap about how personal it was or how stoned Townshend was or how pissed Moon was - I didn't like it therefore I do not prefer it to anything 10CC did. Similarly I don't care how massive you think Quadrophenia is in scope or whether it pre-dates and/or rivals The Wall and frankly those are completely and utterly irrelevant "observations" - I found it dull and unengaging to my personal tastes therefore I don't prefer it to anything that 10cc did. On balance I probably prefer Sparks to 10cc or The Who because their music and lyrics were more avant-garde and yes, of course 10cc and Sparks were fun, who said that music has to be not-fun? 

Yes, I thought The Who in the 1970s had become just another posing Rock band just like Led Zepp'lin and Bad Company (sorry, I don't either of like them much either). 

You are entitled to dismiss Pop Music and can even look down your nose at those of us who see more in it than the superficial that you apparently do but I don't believe you need to feel embarrassed on my behalf or be disappointed by my inability to achieve your lofty expectations.

As for Baba O'bloody Riley - it is not a Prog track by any stretch of the imagination but just for once rather than explain to you how and why it isn't I throw the floor open to you to explain how and why is... 

Sorry Dean I was way out of line with my post.  It was one of those 'should I post this' moments that normally I put the brakes on but failed miserablyEmbarrassed
I have an enormous amount of respect for you and of course your opinion and preference is your own business and not mine.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk