Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=102252
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 04:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Psychedelic Remakes
Posted By: JD
Subject: Psychedelic Remakes
Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 20:59
Just for sheiks and giggles, I grabbed some random, mid to late 60's, Psychedelic/Pop tunes that were hits of varying degree. I purposely left off some of the better known songs from that era by the Beatles or Rolling stones or the Doors to make it a little tougher.

If you could pick one of these to be redone by a prog band which would it be, and as a bonus question, which prog band would you like to see redo it?

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Replies:
Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 21:04
A remake of "Last Train To Clarksville"... I think the bands to do it would be Pond or The Legendary Pink Dots.

-------------

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 21:17
Incense and Peppermints by Gentle Giant

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 21:30
I Like it ! Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 21:35
I've been running different versions of these tunes by different bands over in my head and I think I'll have to go with -

Happy Together done by ELP.

I can hear a Fanfaresque version with lots of drum fills and a mean Hammond sound balanced by Gregies smooth vocals.

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 23:40
I think the two with the most potential are Happy Together and Gimme Some Lovin'.  I voted for the latter.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: JediJoker7169
Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 02:09
I want to hear "Spinning Wheel" as David Bowie might have for Pin Ups. Not strictly Prog.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 03:09
Last Train to Clarksville seems fit for a psych remake. Gimme Some Lovin' is my second choice.

-------------

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 06:07
Last Train to Clarksville remade by Big Big Train!

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: A_Flower
Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 08:12
I can kind of see Porcupine Tree doing a harder version of Insence and Pepermint

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 09:58
Dizzy by Tommy Roe. Gotta' love that it popped up on this poll. Was a fave of mine when I was just a squirt in Chicago just after the Summer of Love. Bubble Gum in its purest form.

Posted By: TerLJack
Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 10:50
Some fun stuff here.  I might like to see one of The Partridges' "I Think I Love You" too. The song already goes through a couple of interesting turnarounds. It would be nice to give them a more prog treatment.

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 14:19
LOVE Happy Together!!

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 15:53
I can imagine Happy Together with some badass 10-minute Hammond solo, so it gets my vote Big smile

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 17:29
I can imagine Yes doing "Last Train to Clarksville" (in their own way of course).

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 20:26
One of my favorite (should be prog-related) groups is a relatively obscure band called dada. They did a fantastic job of trippifying "Last Train to Clarksville" when I saw them a year ago.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 20:45
I wish to hear a contemporary prog version / cover of Spinning Wheel  by Blood, Sweat & Tears,  although that song is already prog, especially if we know that it's a song from 1968; it's actually a fantastic early, sixites' prog song without a question.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 21:56
The one I know, which is Happy Together (and which I really love). However, no vote from me.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 23:52
Originally posted by TerLJack TerLJack wrote:

Some fun stuff here.  I might like to see one of The Partridges' "I Think I Love You" too. The song already goes through a couple of interesting turnarounds. It would be nice to give them a more prog treatment.

I'd like to hear Acid Mother's Temple take this one. Nuke

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: JediJoker7169
Date Posted: May 05 2015 at 05:43
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Last Train to Clarksville remade by Big Big Train!

I can actually hear David Longdon singing it in my head.

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: May 05 2015 at 07:09
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I've been running different versions of these tunes by different bands over in my head and I think I'll have to go with -

Happy Together done by ELP.

I can hear a Fanfaresque version with lots of drum fills and a mean Hammond sound balanced by Gregies smooth vocals.

My choice too, although I didn't know this was the one thing my life was missing until I saw JD's suggestion.  Now I'm sad because I can't listen to it.

Posted By: ten years after
Date Posted: May 06 2015 at 02:25
The absence of any cover versions is a big defect in Pink Floyd's otherwise perfect catalogue.  The three of them should get together and give us "Last Train to Clarksville". Peter Tork can stand in on the keyboards.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: June 21 2015 at 14:51
Spinning Wheel

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: June 21 2015 at 14:58
"Spinning Wheel" is already prog enough for me.
I vote "Gimme Some Lovin'". The organ is a good stepping stone for a prog song: that is already a bit proggy. Some tempo changes and modulations and voila... prog on demand LOL

Posted By: Bitterblogger
Date Posted: June 23 2015 at 23:47
You should check out the remake of LTTC by Cassandra Wilson. Interesting take.

I'll choose Dizzy by The Nice. With Davy O'List.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: June 24 2015 at 05:57
The Mothers of Invention...

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: June 24 2015 at 14:05
I wouldn't consider Spinning Wheel as Psychedelic song by any means. Pop jazz yes. Went with Strawberry alarm clock then Spencer Davis.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: June 24 2015 at 18:42
What could be done with Willie Nelson's Red-Headed Stranger? The possibilities seem endless.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: June 24 2015 at 18:46
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Dizzy by Tommy Roe. Gotta' love that it popped up on this poll. Was a fave of mine when I was just a squirt in Chicago just after the Summer of Love. Bubble Gum in its purest form.

Same here.  My older sis had that 45 and it was definitely one of the earliest pop songs I remember listening to.

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: June 24 2015 at 19:15
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

What could be done with Willie Nelson's Red-Headed Stranger? The possibilities seem endless.

Clap  I could see a Jon Anderson solo album out of that masterpiece of an album

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: June 24 2015 at 19:19
ahhh.. as far as the options.

Happy Together.. .that has early Peter Banks/Tony Kaye Yes cover treatment written all over it.  watch Squire say f**k the plodding bassline and go bonkers..

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk