Topic: 2015 NFL Season Thread
Posted By: Padraic
Subject: 2015 NFL Season Thread
Date Posted: May 13 2015 at 22:17
Deflate this bitches

Replies:
Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 13 2015 at 22:27
I agree that the report is weak...that's why I'd say it gets reduced down to two. This way the NFL still saves a little face and the punishment isn't so outrageous.

And if anything, I expect the fine/picks to be the easier thing to get overturned. The report pretty much exonerated the coach/owner/organization...I know it's suppose to be an in aggregate penalty but still...

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: May 13 2015 at 22:47
Non Pats news:

Jags get another blow with Fowler tearing his ACL on the first day of rookie minicamp.

Reports are coming in that Cruz is about 75-80% back...and can make cuts again. Good thing to, being Odell is going to have to overcome the madden cover curse this year.

-------------

Date Posted: May 14 2015 at 08:45
Who's your running back now?

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: May 14 2015 at 08:47
Such a joke that Odell got put on the cover over Gronk. There's no position player like Gronk. He's by far the best TE with a considerable gap between him and #2. Odell is a guy who had a great rookie season playing like a top 10 WR. I don't get it.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Date Posted: May 14 2015 at 09:02
Pat, have you heard of this guy?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/opinion/sunday/john-urschel.html?_r=0" rel="nofollow - http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/opinion/sunday/john-urschel.html?_r=0

Brains and brawn - highly impressive

Date Posted: May 14 2015 at 10:54
I've actually gotten into far too many internet arguments about him haha. He was like all the rage on reddit/r/NFL for a bit. There were articles calling him a mathematical genius which I took objection to. I argued that he wasn't a genius, but a guy who has published a solid but unimportant (same way I would describe my own publications) article. People take objection to that evidently. I tend to take umbrage at the attenuation of the word.

Cool article though. I don't watch any Ravens or Penn State games so I don't know much about him on the field. Seems like a really interesting guy off of it though.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: May 14 2015 at 11:17
Of course we know there really is no such thing as the Madden Curse, but I would've preferred Gronk on the cover solely we can stop hearing about the curse, ugh! 
Can't disagree with Gronk, and it seems worse since he was from the SB winner but hey....WR is sexy and TE really isn't and it's all about that sex appeal. 

Much like that article calling that Penn State player a mathematical genius, all about hype. Whoever wrote it probably has no idea themselves about any of that stuff. 

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Who's your running back now?
I have to imagine it's gunna be same as last year: 1-2 with Jennings and Williams, but now we got Vereen mixed in who will probably be a third down/change of pace/back up.   
We got Hynoski back and healthy, the O line is hopefully looking to keep improving...with both those I'm hopeful for the running game.

Date Posted: May 14 2015 at 13:30
Yeah I forgot about Vereen.  :(

You'll enjoy him.

Date Posted: May 14 2015 at 23:13
^ Yes...the Vreen pickup was probably my favorite of the Gmens free agency moves. Especially with Willliams not being the most experienced with catching out of the backfield, Vreen could get a good amount of field time and become that safety valve all teams need.

I'm hesitant to say this, as last time I expressed confidence in the giants they started 0-6...but...I think offensively, the giants should be in pretty good shape (especially if Odell can avoiid the curse). Even if the line is only 35% better than last year, that will be a marked improvement!

-------------

Date Posted: May 15 2015 at 09:11
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

^ Yes...the Vreen pickup was probably my favorite of the Gmens free agency moves. Especially with Willliams not being the most experienced with catching out of the backfield, Vreen could get a good amount of field time and become that safety valve all teams need.

I'm hesitant to say this, as last time I expressed confidence in the giants they started 0-6...but...I think offensively, the giants should be in pretty good shape (especially if Odell can avoiid the curse). Even if the line is only 35% better than last year, that will be a marked improvement!

NFC East should be interesting, apart from the Deadskins.

Agree, I think the Giants are due for a good season.

Date Posted: May 15 2015 at 10:00
Yeah, Vereen never struck me as a main back or anything but he's superb in his role and as Phil said we could use a great pass catcher out of the back. Honestly, we haven't had that since Tiki Barber. While I loved Jacobs I won't forget the game ages ago when Eli had 34 incompletions or something and I think half were attempts to JacobsLOL

I'm also cautiously optimistic for the first time in a couple of years. Offense really isn't my concern this year, just praying Cruz can come back to at least 80% (I'm being conservative and assuming he won't have a full return, so I can't be let down, and hopefully he does and my expectations are exceeded) but defense is the ? again. If the secondary can stay healthy we may have a beastly one, Prince, DRC and others were all playing great till injuries devastated us. Hoping spags can find his old magic and get our many solid pass rushers to become greater than the sum of their parts. 

Agreed, one has to expect a tight battle with Dallas, Philly and NY with  Washington languishing. 

Also I just realized AFC east now has 3 teams with brutal defensive lines, Brady may not wan to return lol

Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 14:18
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/nfl-extra-point-moved-back-john-urschel/" rel="nofollow - John Urschel on the New Extra Point Rules

-------------

Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 20:06
^ A pretty stupid change if you ask me.

-------------

Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 21:45
I agree. It removes plays like the swinging gate or any other sort of deception / transitional formation. They should have moved the 2pt conversion to the 1 and also goal posts should be narrowed in general.

I do like the change that 2pt conversion attempts can be pick 2'd now though.

-------------

Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 23:13
I'd definitely prefer the narrower goalposts instead of this. Though, I think I would make them a little wider than they did at the pro bowl this year.

And definitely. I don't know why that wasn't allowed before.

-------------

Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 23:17
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000493588/article/giants-will-beatty-to-undergo-surgery-for-torn-pectoral

Sad news for us Giants fans...

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2015 at 10:21
Yeah, despite the occasional hiccup Beatty really was a very good player. Wonder if Flowers would be thrust right into starting at LT. Quite scary to think about! 

Date Posted: May 23 2015 at 16:47
^ Hopefully one of the free agent linemen we picked up could fill that roll until Flowers is ready.

-------------

Date Posted: May 28 2015 at 14:58
I've heard so far they were experimenting with Flowers at left, Schwarz and Pugh at Guard, Richburg at Center of course and Newhouse at right (I forgot the Giants got him (though the Packers O line has generally not been great so I'm nervous))

Also the Giants injury bug continues, Robert Ayers got hurt on the very first snap of non contact OTAs. What the f**k man seriously, this is getting ridiculous. Hope it's not too bad, he was a good pass rusher for us. 

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: May 28 2015 at 15:02
Read in the news about a fraternity at Penn State being suspended/expelled from the school cause of some bad behavior.  Would that have been your college frat JJ?  LOL

-------------

Date Posted: May 28 2015 at 15:05
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Read in the news about a fraternity at Penn State being suspended/expelled from the school cause of some bad behavior.  Would that have been your college frat JJ?  LOL

This aint the thread for that! But no sir, I was never in a frat, (f**k thatLOL) though "fun" fact during my time there one was already on thin ice after a kid was found dead, last known to have left a party they had. Freshman, who's BAC was still way over the limit like 2 days later. Other frats are racist, ours kills people, or other schools have football scandals where they buy players and ours....well yeah, always #1 I guessCry

Date Posted: May 28 2015 at 18:04
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

I've heard so far they were experimenting with Flowers at left, Schwarz and Pugh at Guard, Richburg at Center of course and Newhouse at right (I forgot the Giants got him (though the Packers O line has generally not been great so I'm nervous))

Also the Giants injury bug continues, Robert Ayers got hurt on the very first snap of non contact OTAs. What the f**k man seriously, this is getting ridiculous. Hope it's not too bad, he was a good pass rusher for us. 

Good...keep Pugh inside. Hopefully Newhouse can be capable enough to get the job done. I wonder if he has any experience at Left tackle.

And what the f**k...can the Giants have one off season workout without injuries...it's not even mini-camps yet...

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2015 at 13:48
Ah well good news, it seems results show there is no serious injury to Ayers' knee and leg, and sounds like the two months until training camp will be plenty of time to heal up. 
Good because with Kiwi being released, and a very good year last season, I think he was going to be the DE opposite JPP. 

Also, just for kicks, this is, believe it or not, Chris Snee now Shocked

Date Posted: May 29 2015 at 18:09
^ WTF?! Shocked

How did this happen?! Surgery? Drugs? Magic?

-------------

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: June 02 2015 at 13:44

Pat, have you heard of this guy?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/opinion/sunday/john-urschel.html?_r=0" rel="nofollow - http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/opinion/sunday/john-urschel.html?_r=0

Brains and brawn - highly impressive

Whoa, that's really neat. Thanks for posting that.

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Date Posted: June 18 2015 at 13:25
A little bit of trivia for Ravens' fans.  Edison's Children's US touring drummer:

• CHRIS MACK
He will be joined on the song "Stranger In A Foreign Land" by Drummer Chris Mack who has taken over as the live drummer for United States shows. Chris Mack is a member of one of prog-rock's greatest bands "Iluvatar" who have opened for Marillion in years past and is one of Eric Blackwood's favorite bands. Chris Mack has another job as well... if you are watching the NFL's Baltimore Ravens and you hear the drum marching the team to victory across the grid iron... THAT is Chris Mack! Chris is the on-field drummer for the Raven's franchise.

-------------

Posted By: *frinspar*
Date Posted: June 18 2015 at 15:59
I hope I can get into the season this year. Lately my fan appreciation and general interest in the NFL has been waning.

I've gotten into NCAA football a lot more. Something about the professional level is leaving me wanting. Not that I've stopped watching or plan to. I just don't have the anticipation of seeing another crappy Titans season roll out like I used to. LOL

Date Posted: June 18 2015 at 18:52
^ No faith in Mariota I take it? Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2015 at 19:54
I learned long ago that if I'm going to have expectations, I'm going to keep them low. LOL

Date Posted: June 18 2015 at 20:25
LOL A wise precaution, particularly in this case. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2015 at 20:27
Had my heart broken too many times when they were the Oilers, and it's continued on through the years.

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 17:34
Yeah...I am always hesitant to make judgments on someone I've not seen play and we know how unpredictable the college to pro transition is, BUT we all know what Oregon is about...and it's the same ol same ol college shenanigans deal that never ever translates well to the NFL (or will need some major work) 
Ya never know, but my faith in Mariota is low.  Still upset the Eagles didn't give up all the team for him, that would've been awesomeLOL

Here's what is not awesome...JPP severely injured his hand setting off fireworks. 
I am hesitant to make fun, because rumors are it could be very bad...but, fireworks? And JPP of all people? 
Oy vey

Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 00:53
^ Wha?! JPP...what are you doing...

Thankfully it seems he kept all his fingers...

-------------

Date Posted: July 08 2015 at 22:10
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

^ Wha?! JPP...what are you doing...

Thankfully it seems he kept all his fingers...

Weeeeeeeeeellllllllllll
About that

First, many people seem to saying this is a HIPAA violation, since this was not official from JPP, the Giants, or anyone it was just posted by...someone and ESPN reported it. 
Second, what!?!?!?!

Oh JPPCry

Date Posted: July 08 2015 at 23:02
^ Oh JPP!

Well the article I initially read the explosion didn't cause him to lose fingers...this seems to be a choice by him to help the healing process. But this is a true yikes moment.

And this does help explain why he is refusing to talk to/meet with the giants doctors. But it does make me a bit nervous for his future with the team.

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2015 at 00:30
Yeah exactly, all the hazy information and weird behavior does make sense now. 
I'd say this is a very bad sign, since he had zero contact with anyone and refused all team doctors but IDK...I guess I can understand (well not actually) what on Earth must be going through his mind and is kinda messed up. 

I know man, I feel bad for him, but also a bit mad, and don't wanna think about team impact but kind of have to, and just....given how touch and go he's been in recent years with the team this is just the most "UGH REALLY!?" moment imaginable. 

EDIT: What the f**k!? 
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/08/c-j-wilson-lost-middle-and-index-fingers-in-fireworks-accident/" rel="nofollow - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/08/c-j-wilson-lost-middle-and-index-fingers-in-fireworks-accident/

Date Posted: July 09 2015 at 01:13
^ Yeah. I suppose he wanted to try and keep the extent of it a secret for as long as he could? Of course, showing up with 9 fingers whenever the hell he does show up would be a dead giveaway.....but yeah...this will bode poorly for a long term contract with the team I suspect. Unless JPP mans up and says my bad and takes a lower contract then he wants/expects. But I doubt it.

And WOW! Two in one weekend?! Boy...what a bad day for digit news...

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2015 at 09:53
NFL players aren't allowed outdoors on July 4th anymore.  :p

Date Posted: July 09 2015 at 09:55
I was reading an article that said that Mariotta hadn't signed his contract yet because it has a clause in it that he can't surf during the season or during the off-season.  Apparently, since he is from Hawaii this is a bit of a deal breaker for him. 

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2015 at 21:19
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I was reading an article that said that Mariotta hadn't signed his contract yet because it has a clause in it that he can't surf during the season or during the off-season.  Apparently, since he is from Hawaii this is a bit of a deal breaker for him. 

They should have a fireworks clause instead. Tongue

But I can understand that...surfing can get dangerous.

-------------

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: September 10 2015 at 07:46
Well, it officially begins tonight with my Steelers against De-flatriots (sorry, could not resist...hopefully it is over with as it was all over blown).  I think Brady will be out for bear and with our pot head running back, great center, and our #2 receiver all of them out, I don't have a good feeling about the game tonight.

My worthless predictions:
AFC Division winners
Patriots
Ravens (hate to do it)
Colts
Broncos
AFC Wildcards:
Steelers
Chiefs

NFC Division winners:
Cowboys (hated to to do that also)
Packers
Saints
Seahawks
NFC Wildcards:
Cardinals
Giants (may be close with the Eagles but don't think Bradford will stay healthy)

No playoff picks yet....Smile

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2015 at 10:09
Finally...real football.

AFC:
Broncos
Patriots
Steelers
Colts
Ravens
Dolphins

NFC:
Seahawks
Packers
Eagles
Falcons
Cardinals
Saints

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 00:58
Well, Pittsburgh had a legitimate chance to win, but really choked that one away. If you think about the 13 points they blew with the 2 missed FGs and that wide open TD the receiver missed...at one point (and not in garbage time) Pitt would've been leading! But it's not about what you could've done, and they also shot themselves with stupid mistakes. I thought Ben played quite well, Williams is still a great back, and the wideouts had some impressive moments! But as a team...I was quite unimpressed. 

Especially on defense. Not sure if they were playing soft, or just lacked talent, but they pretty much let the Pats walk all over them. The forgetting to cover Gronk certainly was a lowlight LOL The vaulted Steelers defense looks like a wet bag now. 

Pats were exactly what I expected: Efficient and deadly. Rarely wowed, but performed near perfection. 
Gronk is unstoppable, he's like the JJ Watt of offense ya can't really do much about him and hope to limit the damage. Given Brady's rough 2013 and early '14, then epic rebound lining up with Gronk's health...I think he may be the legit team MVP! Brady holds it together but Gronk is the spark that gets it all going. 

Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 07:02
^Yes they did let this one slip away.  Not sure what happened to our kicker from last year, thought he was still there until last night. Confused

As I feared...our young, inexperienced defense did not look good as well as new D coordinator.  Hopefully they will gel as the season progresses.  The offense played better than I expected with all the missing personnel being out.  Glad to see Williams do well, was wondering what he had left in the tank.

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 07:15

Well, Pittsburgh had a legitimate chance to win, but really choked that one away. If you think about the 13 points they blew with the 2 missed FGs and that wide open TD the receiver missed...at one point (and not in garbage time) Pitt would've been leading! But it's not about what you could've done, and they also shot themselves with stupid mistakes. I thought Ben played quite well, Williams is still a great back, and the wideouts had some impressive moments! But as a team...I was quite unimpressed. 

Especially on defense. Not sure if they were playing soft, or just lacked talent, but they pretty much let the Pats walk all over them. The forgetting to cover Gronk certainly was a lowlight LOL The vaulted Steelers defense looks like a wet bag now. 

Pats were exactly what I expected: Efficient and deadly. Rarely wowed, but performed near perfection. 
Gronk is unstoppable, he's like the JJ Watt of offense ya can't really do much about him and hope to limit the damage. Given Brady's rough 2013 and early '14, then epic rebound lining up with Gronk's health...I think he may be the legit team MVP! Brady holds it together but Gronk is the spark that gets it all going. 

The Steelers defense has been bereft of talent for years. They were 30th in DVOA last year and needed to bring back 50 year old woman beating James Harrison just to get some semblance of a pass rush.

I don't think the game was really so close. The game flow towards the end made the score that way of course, but maybe I'm being too harsh in that respect. It's nice to see Gronk come out dominating after the Steelers talking all week about having their gameplan to shut him down.

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 07:23
Meant to do these before the game, but I decided to drink instead.

NFC
1) Seahawks
2) Packers
3) Eagles
4) Falcons
5) Vikings
6) Cowboys

AFC
1) Colts
2) Patriots
3) Broncos
4) Bengals
5) Chiefs
6) Steelers

Wildcard : Eagles over Cowboys, Vikings over Falcons, Broncos over Steelers, Chiefs over Bengals
Division: Seahawks over Vikings, Packers over Eagles, Chiefs over Colts, Pats over Broncos
Champ: Hawks over Packers, Pats over Chiefs
Super: Hawks over Pats

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 08:24
Yikes, our secondary.  Probably asking too much of Butler, and Bradley Fletcher is Sick (which as a Philly area resident I could have told you way beforehand).  Wasn't enamored of our defensive front either, they weren't holding the edge too well all game.  Steelers could definitely move the ball, they ended up with what, 450 yds?

Well, they have a whole season to improve, but they don't advance too far in the playoffs with the defense as it's currently executing.

Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 08:25
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

As I feared...our young, inexperienced defense did not look good as well as new D coordinator.  Hopefully they will gel as the season progresses.  The offense played better than I expected with all the missing personnel being out.  Glad to see Williams do well, was wondering what he had left in the tank.

Yeah, the D was a mess (leaving Gronk wide open was inexplicable), but it's all fixable.  You guys will have a very good year.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 08:27
Patriots defense (& offense) always gets better through the year as the new players lock into the system. For game 1 with a SB hangover against a good team I was quite impressed. A fit Gronk makes a huge difference.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Disparate Times
Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 08:44
All I'm hearing is that the pats cheated, again. This could be the start of an interesting trend, after you lose to them just say they cheated.

Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 10:25

Yikes, our secondary.  Probably asking too much of Butler, and Bradley Fletcher is Sick (which as a Philly area resident I could have told you way beforehand).  Wasn't enamored of our defensive front either, they weren't holding the edge too well all game.  Steelers could definitely move the ball, they ended up with what, 450 yds?

Well, they have a whole season to improve, but they don't advance too far in the playoffs with the defense as it's currently executing.

Looked like Butler played very well to me. Brown is just a special kinda of receiver. It's hard for anyone to man up with him. I remember him biting on a double move for the ~20 yard reception down the left sideline and missing a jam on a ~10 yard reception from the slot but other than that he seemed to mostly be in good position. There was the helmet catch in which he had perfect coverage, the rub route where he drove hard but was just a second late to the ball, and the last TD catch he was in great position but the throw/catch were perfect. I assumed he was just a guy who made a great play in a high leverage moment, but he seems very talented to me based on this game.

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 10:27
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Patriots defense (& offense) always gets better through the year as the new players lock into the system. For game 1 with a SB hangover against a good team I was quite impressed. A fit Gronk makes a huge difference.

Also heard that balls were deflated and that that Pats have an anomalous fumble rate and that deflated balls lead to fewer fumbles but none of those things were true the second someone properly looked at the data.

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 10:59
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Looked like Butler played very well to me. Brown is just a special kinda of receiver. It's hard for anyone to man up with him. I remember him biting on a double move for the ~20 yard reception down the left sideline and missing a jam on a ~10 yard reception from the slot but other than that he seemed to mostly be in good position. There was the helmet catch in which he had perfect coverage, the rub route where he drove hard but was just a second late to the ball, and the last TD catch he was in great position but the throw/catch were perfect. I assumed he was just a guy who made a great play in a high leverage moment, but he seems very talented to me based on this game.

Yeah, I'm being too hard on the kid.  He did play well.  But the pressure is high, everyone's going to be testing him and throwing in his direction.  I was actually bothered more by the run defense.

Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 11:24
Yeah the interior DL shouldn't be making the backup C look like a stud. Also, really bad angles band failure to set edge from EDGE players.

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 11:36
Ready for Monday night Pat?  :)

Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 13:40
Oh man so pumped, so excited, so nervous, so skeptical of this Eagles team. One of the highest variance teams in the league I think: Unknowns with huge potential and shaky depth at key positions.

I think the Eagles win this semi-easily though. Julio will go off, but not in the style of Dez roasting a helpless Fletcher on every play. I don't have any faith in the Falcons being able to run the ball against our front and I think we'll get enough pressure through their piecemeal OLine to keep them in the 17-24 point range. They don't have the pieces on their defense to deal us. I think we run all over them and Matthews/Sproles abuse their LBs and safeties.

-------------

Date Posted: September 13 2015 at 17:47

The Steelers defense has been bereft of talent for years. They were 30th in DVOA last year and needed to bring back 50 year old woman beating James Harrison just to get some semblance of a pass rush.

I don't think the game was really so close. The game flow towards the end made the score that way of course, but maybe I'm being too harsh in that respect. It's nice to see Gronk come out dominating after the Steelers talking all week about having their gameplan to shut him down.

Oh dont get me wrong, its nothing new with Pittsburgh, just damn it was just so painful to see. 
Well, it wasn't close ever, I meant literally imagine if they didn't choke away those 13 points...despite their generally poor play they would've been leading/right there. Yeah, I mean that about him being the offenses JJ Watt, ya can't physically stop him, I believe that. Can only limit the damage, except Gronk is even more dangerous...ya can avoid a defensive lineman but you can't avoid Gronk!

Couldn't catch any the day games, but nothing seems toooo shocking. Maybe some moderate surprises but nothing outrageous. Intrigued for Dallas/NY tonight. There is zero doubt Dallas is the better team, while the Giants are loaded with ?s but that does mean they could go either way. If the o line stays healthy/Pugh and richburg develop could be very good! We have a darn good CB duo, when they are healthy, and yeah, lots of question marks, and while I tend to air on the side of question marks flipping negative, ya never know!

Besides Eli owns Jerrydome and should be happy after this $84 million extension

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: September 13 2015 at 18:27
Seahawks need to tighten up the D, there's a guy over there in a suit called Kam, please sign him.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: MillsLayne
Date Posted: September 13 2015 at 21:05
Matthew Stafford and the Lions look like they're already in mid-season form.  Jumping out to a lead early and then shutting down COMPLETELY. Angry

-------------
http://gamercards.exophase.com/xbox/user/MillsLayne/" rel="nofollow">

ht

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: September 13 2015 at 21:39
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

Matthew Stafford and the Lions look like they're already in mid-season form.  Jumping out to a lead early and then shutting down COMPLETELY. Angry
Inexplicable fail. Up 21-3 and then a complete and utter collapse. I blame the coaches above all. San Diego's coaches made the correct adjustments, totally neutralizing the Lion's O and D -- and Lombardi should be fired, obviously coaching success is not genetic.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: September 13 2015 at 22:12
I like Jim Caldwell, but his morals of never wanting to run up a score hurts us SO bad.  It reminded me of the wild card game last year against the Cowboys.  Unstoppable until we scored some points, and we shut down.  And that's seemingly when the turnovers start to happen, too.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: September 13 2015 at 23:48
I'd like to make a quick observation: 
The Giants offense looked downright anemic. 
They cut James Jones, who has a good history and scored 2 TDs today...they kept Preston Parker, who drops 90% of his targets (and doesn't seem to be any good, he certainly never gets very open or shows a spectacular something). 

I can't help but wonder if things would be a little better with Jones. With the focus on ODB, if Randle can't get it done (and he's had an underwhelming career) we're forced to rely on Parker Dead  Daniel Fells and Larry Donnell. Not exactly a threatening corps. 

But yeah, typical Giants...manage to come from behind and take over the game, just to blow it. 
Everyone, including myself, is livid at the decision to pass, leaving Dallas with extra time, or as one pointed out Eli could've taken a sack as well. Stupid play call, but also so many things wrong:

- The offense. All those FGs and not TDs. The Parker drops. Randle's non existence. I'll give the O line time...there are some young people who need to develop, including the rookie starting at left tackle, but while I'm patient....I fear that if they didn't hold up well against a pretty meh Cowboys pass rush, does not bold well at all. 
- The defense. Did a great job against the run, and managed to contain the Dallas WRs pretty well and made some red zone stands, but it fell apart when it mattered most. Kudos to Romo and the Cowboys of course, especially without Dez, but wow. 
- The play calling. That final pass, but also Spags dropping the blitz and going generic back off Cover 2 and 3 defense at the end. 

Date Posted: September 13 2015 at 23:51

I like Jim Caldwell, but his morals of never wanting to run up a score hurts us SO bad.  It reminded me of the wild card game last year against the Cowboys.  Unstoppable until we scored some points, and we shut down.  And that's seemingly when the turnovers start to happen, too.

I know that feeling! 
Giants are infamous for getting a 14 point lead (hell sometimes even 10) and will go run run run, punt, run run run punt, oh it's tied now. f**k we lostLOL I'm not saying go old school Pats up by 40 and still have Brady throwing for the end zone on 4th down...but I wish Coughlin would soften the not running the score up thing. WHEN they can.....games like today make me wonder if they could move the ball against RutgersCry

Date Posted: September 14 2015 at 18:59
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Inexplicable fail. Up 21-3 and then a complete and utter collapse. I blame the coaches above all. San Diego's coaches made the correct adjustments, totally neutralizing the Lion's O and D -- and Lombardi should be fired, obviously coaching success is not genetic.

Yeah...I can't say Lombardi has installed much confidence. Even though Stafford was erratic with the ball, he seemed to have more of that ever undefinable 'it' with whoever was the coordinator before Lombardi.

Also...from a personal perspective...how the f**k did Megatron get more or less neutralized!? His paltry fantasy total are doing me no favors...

-------------

Date Posted: September 14 2015 at 19:01
Also, I'll ignore the giant Giant collapse and pretend everything is ok.

-------------

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: September 14 2015 at 19:49
Aaron Donald yeah he is that good.

Date Posted: September 15 2015 at 00:35
Where did Atlanta get a defense from!?
Fun game to watch. 

Good win for SF. Very old school: Pound the run and Kaep running. Their defense wasn't too shabby either. Huge letdown for AP. Glad Navorro Bowman is back to being a beast straight after missing last year. 

Date Posted: September 15 2015 at 04:12
I'm curious if SF might actually be okay this year or if the Vikes were severly overrated during the offseason.  They, along with the Eagles, were a lot of peoples' dark horses for this year.  I know it's only week 1, but still.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: September 16 2015 at 10:07

Fun game to watch. 

Good win for SF. Very old school: Pound the run and Kaep running. Their defense wasn't too shabby either. Huge letdown for AP. Glad Navorro Bowman is back to being a beast straight after missing last year. 

I think it was really just the Eagles being really bad in the first half. There wasn't much of a defense in the second when Bradford actually started making throws and the Gs stopped falling backwards.

Where did they get an OL though? I didn't see that coming.

-------------

Date Posted: September 17 2015 at 13:46

Fun game to watch. 

I think it was really just the Eagles being really bad in the first half. There wasn't much of a defense in the second when Bradford actually started making throws and the Gs stopped falling backwards.

Where did they get an OL though? I didn't see that coming.
True, that was certainly more shocking. I expected Matt Ryan to be dead before the game's end. 

Tonight's game should be interesting between, given Peyton's possible scale back and Alex Smith is Alex Smith, might be a defensive battle. 

Speaking of defensive battles, all the politician like statements and wondering can at least be put to an end. 
JPP in the flesh...
http://www.giants101.com/2015/09/17/you-wanted-it-you-got-first-clear-look-at-jason-pierre-pauls-hand-photo/" rel="nofollow - http://www.giants101.com/2015/09/17/you-wanted-it-you-got-first-clear-look-at-jason-pierre-pauls-hand-photo/
I thought the index finger was bad enough, will already have to develop a new way to play, but seems he's got half a thumb, pretty important for gripping and holding. Middle is wrapped and ring damaged but they'll probably heal, though who knows nerve damage and what not. I dont know, thought JPP was done anyway so this just furthers that. 

Date Posted: September 18 2015 at 00:43
Fun game. That ending was ridiculous. 
I think talks of Peyton's demise were a bit pre mature. Looked fine to me, when he was kept upright, and that 
is the real issue here. Chuck it up to some good defenses but Peyton was getting pressured and thrown around, and I don't think he does very well with pressure, but physically not sure he could handle a full season of this. Quite concerning. 

Seems Denver has an even more improved defense, so this year may be interesting! A gritty, fight it out, close game winning Peyton would be a lot more fun to see than record setting one. 

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: September 18 2015 at 23:47
Given the choice between a good O-Line and a stellar defense, I bet I know which would Peyton would pick.

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Date Posted: September 19 2015 at 00:42
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Given the choice between a good O-Line and a stellar defense, I bet I know which would Peyton would pick.

To be fair, I think (with rare exception) the good o line should always take precedent. 
Though 39 years of age, 4 neck surgeries and the mobility of a statue would make me extra worried if I was Peyton! 
I do hope they can get things righted, a defense as good as their's seems could be the ticket to a SB with an offense that has their potential. Assuming he makes it through the season. 

Date Posted: September 20 2015 at 23:35
I couldn't attend, or even watch, the Giants game and at first I was bummed, but seems maybe I was sparedLOL
Sounds like another "Great first half, crappy second half" classic Giants. 
At least ODB had a good game, 120 yds I believe in the first half alone, though he did nothing in the second, wish I saw the game, I wanna know if it was the O line, or different coverage, what happened!? But 0 and 2 4th quarter losses, sad state of affairs. 

Speaking of typical...after a week of Rex Ryan standard sh*t talking, especially about how his defense will stop the Pats, seems they got smoked. I know there were talks of the comeback, but I'll assume NE just took it easy. 

Green Bay looked good, Rodgers is a beast. 

Big news about Romo, any word on how long he's expected to be out? With Romo and Dez both out, may be some tough sledding for Dallas, long run. 

Finally, all the talks about Fitz being old, and Palmer is done, BS. Palmer is still a beast, if healthy, and Fitz is a stud. He managed to do well despite Arizona's offensive nightmare recently, imagine if he didn't have to deal with their crap QB play for years!

EDIT: OH, what the f**k is going on with Philly? Got a great O line, added D Murray...currently has 11 yards on 21 carries over two games. Small sample size I know but, what?? How did he manage 2 yards on 12 carries? You know things are bad when Sam Bradford has more rush yards than all the backs combined LOL

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: September 21 2015 at 08:36
Question for all the NFL experts......what the hell is the problem with Cutler and the Bears...? They have a decent quarterback and some good players....why do they always seem to screw it up?

Confused

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: September 21 2015 at 10:29
^ Not much of an expert, but I don't think much was expected this year from them.  Coach Fox usually can get a team back to fundamental basics and get them going in the right direction fairly quick.  I think Cutler's problems are between his ears more than his arm.

After the first game, I was not sure what to expect from the 49ers against the Steelers, but we handled them with ease it seems!  The defense appeared to play better also which was encouraging.

Man, that Philly game was hideous to watch....they don't seem to be on the same page.  Somehow the Cowboys are 2 - 0 with all the injuries, will be interesting to see what they do without Romo.

My previous playoff prediction of the Giants getting in does not look good...maybe it was the kiss of death LOL.

Wow...Rodgers is amazing how he has pocket awareness to slip out and buy more time, then the accuracy to boot.  Seattle may be in for a dog fight in West this year.

-------------

Date Posted: September 21 2015 at 21:33
Yeah Chicago has been weird...we all said "Cutler has a crap O line and no weapons" and then "(insert name) isnt a good OC" but they since built him a good o line, got him some great weapons, and went through how many OCs? and still nothing changed. Just one of those weird sports things no one can fully explain, I think it has to just be put on Cutler...chemistry maybe? They did have Cutler, Marshall and Bennett which is not exactly a great team/personality group of people LOL

Wow, glad to see Indy is repeating their past mistakes of leaving the QB out to dry. I mean, Gore and Andre Johnson are great players but if the line sucks, kinda puts a damper on everything...and Luck will have to carry the team with arm and leg, as he often does. 

On the flip side, the Jets have built a pretty solid all around team with some weapons, curious how the Harvard Gunslinger will do over a year. I know he's the ultimate "dashed hope" QB but I sooo badly want him to be more than a boom/bust, average overall bit over .500 QB   I like him, but I fear disappointment shall resultLOL

Date Posted: September 22 2015 at 09:11
LOLCOLTS

Date Posted: September 22 2015 at 17:21

LOLCOLTS

Ya gotta feel for Luck. I'd say this is the type of situation that can kill a career from the get go, but he seems to be physically and mentally tough enough to handle it, still gunna set him back if this keeps up. One thing I absolutely have to give credit to NE for is they do it right, always make sure that O line is well stocked, and very good. Kudos to the coaching I guess for making sure they always work into the system, the scouting but yeah whatever they do, they always keep Brady and the backs well blocked and the results show. 

Date Posted: September 23 2015 at 09:24

LOLCOLTS

Ya gotta feel for Luck. I'd say this is the type of situation that can kill a career from the get go, but he seems to be physically and mentally tough enough to handle it, still gunna set him back if this keeps up. One thing I absolutely have to give credit to NE for is they do it right, always make sure that O line is well stocked, and very good. Kudos to the coaching I guess for making sure they always work into the system, the scouting but yeah whatever they do, they always keep Brady and the backs well blocked and the results show. 

Grigson is a disaster, they could fix a lot by getting rid of him.  I blame him more than Pagano, but Pagano is clearly headed towards the exit after this season, that's why he's trying to throw Luck under the bus, he just doesn't give a f anymore.  They should get healthy against Houston, who is really terrible, but who knows anymore.

Sadly, I also see an 0-3 Eagles after this weekend, but am really hoping otherwise.

Date Posted: September 23 2015 at 18:53
Bam Bam Kam is back for the Seahawks, which is terrible news for the Bears this week and then the Lions next week.  And after Sunday night's match with the Broncos, the Lions will hopefully realize how much trouble they're in with our terrible O line and Joe Lombardi's horrible offensive schemes.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: September 23 2015 at 18:59
Yeah...those lions look bad. I remember reading somewhere that they haven't posted back to back 10+ win seasons ever in their history. This seemed outrageous...but then I remember it's the lions. :p

Also, good news for you guys...you play Chicago twice!

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2015 at 16:47
I bet we split with Chicago and get swept by the Vikes and Pack.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: September 24 2015 at 18:02
Yeah, after the no Peyton disaster you'd think Grigson and/or Irsay would've learned: You need to build a team around the QB.

Good as it is for Seattle, I love how everyone has made it like Kam is 100% of the teamLOL they've pinned his absence as the reason they are losing and now it's like the white knight swooping back in. Great he's back, but I don't know...the offense has been a bit off sync so far and they have lost Maxwell, Thurmond and Browner (and as a result Sherman hasn't been his shutdown self) it's more than Chancellor. 
Oh, and what the hell is up with Jimmy Graham!? Some serious gelling needs to happen. 

Oh boy...Giants/Deadskins time. I'm nervous LOL I'd say this should be a win but who the hell knows anymore. 
We're down DRC and while Washington's offense doesn't scare me, that's our main corner and Cousins has already said he's "prepared" using the injury list, aka whoever replaces DRC will be targeted...hope they step up!
I don't believe their defense is really good, I wanna see someone outside of ODB step up. Randle survived by the skin of his teeth after improving end of last year, but he's been back to a ghost, with Parker cut some others better fill the void. Maybe some run game improvement...for christ's sake, Eli has been the best runner so farDead

Date Posted: September 24 2015 at 23:45
Well, a win is a win, even over Washington LOL
That return TD was inexcusable...typical Giants. Randle makes that epic catch and TD and very next play give up a return.  But yeah, fast start, they never were able to put the game away...kept the cushion just large enough to be safe but not comfortable, but least they held it together. 

Eli looked great. Efficient, made some great throws, threw a couple of bombs. I'm still not fully adjusted to this short pass offense, but can't deny it's worked. I believe this has been the longest stretch of his career without a pick, and last year he was significantly down on the "wtf omg seriously?" hold your breath throws. Completion % up and reports of his death are greatly exaggerated.

Randle stepped up big time. In a way its more frustrating to see his potential, and that he rarely reaches it, but big game for him. ODB continues to be a beast, the defense totally stuffed the run and played with an intensity I haven't seen in years. The pass rush is still weak and they are prone to bib yardage bombs, but no one expected the D to be very good. 

Date Posted: September 25 2015 at 00:16
^ Biggest problem I see the defense having is the inability to cover tight ends...Reed was open all night and could have had two touchdowns if Cousins could've thrown the ball better. Hope DRC & Beason return soon.

But i'll take the win! 14-2 starts here!!!!!1111!!111!!!11!!!!one!!

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2015 at 17:03
I'd feel pretty good if I were a Giants fan right now.  By rights, they should be 3-0 and they definitely don't look bad at all.  Plus, that division is crumbling and is really for them to take at this point, barring injuries.

I looked at the Lions schedule again, and I'm predicting an 0-5 start.  We play the Broncos Sunday night, then go to Seattle, and then come home to play against the Cardinals.  Guess I can start looking at some potential top draft picks for next year.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: September 25 2015 at 19:19
Ehh...the defense is still poor overall. No secondary and no pass rush. They are containing the run, but they haven't really played a good running team yet (Matt Jones' ridiculous week 2 aside). The offensive line is still constantly in flux and the offense seems like it still needs time to gel together (hopefully Cruz's return will speed that process along). Also, many mental errors thus far. It also irks me that they could be 3-0 and found a way to be 1-2.

But it is only week 3...and your right about the division. At this rate, 8-8 is looking good for the East's taking!

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2015 at 19:19
And your right about your lions. They will suckth.

I hope the fire Lombardi signs come out soon.

-------------

Date Posted: September 25 2015 at 21:22
Well, I feel torn. It's great they could, and maybe should, be 3-0 but they're not...and those 2 games ARE gunna come back to haunt them.

The defense has me worried. Ironically the secondary and corners are the bright spot, and for the first time in ages seems we have a good LB corps! That pass rush though...I think several year retired Strahan could do betterLOL  Cruz's return will be big. If he's back to 80% of his old self, will be a major aid. Big if though. You're right though, with Dallas hurt, Washington sucks and Chip Kelly blowing up the Eagles it may be handed to us if they can just not screw it up. 

Man those Lions. Well you're free of the Suh $ that will help with some future signings! While I'm sure Miami is loving the fact their $112 million add is ignoring play calls to improv his own, with a beautiful 0 sacks and 2 tackles to show for it so farLOL

Date Posted: September 27 2015 at 18:52
I always was a Carson Palmer fan. I sincerely believed recent year struggles have just been him being on Oakland and injured. So far, he's on fire. What a beast, and that Arizona team looks good. Granted you can't always play KaepLOL 67 yards and 4 picks...pathetic! 

Cincy looks super legit, would have to imagine this pace can't keep up for 16 games but so far Dalton is playing like a man possessed. 

Miami is utter crap, and bad Fitzpatrick showed up today against the EaglesCry

I will not make any grand career long claims (like when I said Kaep would be legit and a great player) but I am surprised so far how well Mariota has played. Not that he's been great, just I really thought he'd be garbage 

Date Posted: September 27 2015 at 20:07
So far, this game is starting out like crap.  Stafford has a pick, and they can't run the ball at all.  Just a matter of time before the Broncos start rolling.

-------------

ht

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: September 27 2015 at 20:13
Bears pls... Imma go back to some baseball.

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Date Posted: September 27 2015 at 22:44
That was frustrating.  As close as the whole game was, you just felt like the Broncos were in complete control, complete with the usual stupid mistakes from the Lions. 

-------------

ht

Date Posted: September 27 2015 at 23:03
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

Bears pls... Imma go back to some baseball.
To be fair, down Cutler and Alshon was always gunna be ugly regardless. 

Wow, Denver's defense really is looking sick. Great at plugging the run, rushing the passer, and defending the pass, makes plays too...picks, fumbles. That is a damn good unit, and whadya know...Peyton seems to be getting better by the week. 
I mean, still looked like he was trying to pass a brick when putting more than 20 yards on it, but way fewer of those near disasterous throws and going back to perpetual shotgun (or pistol) cut down on the pummeling he was taking. 

Date Posted: September 28 2015 at 08:59

That was frustrating.  As close as the whole game was, you just felt like the Broncos were in complete control, complete with the usual stupid mistakes from the Lions. 
I think that the time has come to jettison Stafford and go back to square one on the quarterback position.  He should be reaching his peak at this point in his career and yet he is still merely average at best.  Fortunately for me, I had no desire to even turn this game on and at 0 and 3 and in Seattle next week, I know that this year is not the year to jump on the bandwagon.

-------------

Date Posted: September 28 2015 at 10:40
Bills are a playoff team.

Date Posted: September 28 2015 at 12:29
^ You may be right.

We are in a crunch now with Big Ben out for 4 to 6 weeks.  I don't trust Vick, he makes some bad decisions in throwing the ball at times.  Guess we will be pounding it on the ground more now.  Short week too with Ravens on Thursday, don't feel good about that one.

Cardinals and Bengals both looked impressive.  If Broncos offense can catch up with the defense, although they looked better, they could make some noise down the road.  Patriots are just plain nasty right now....

-------------

Date Posted: September 28 2015 at 13:55
Some excellent games in reality on Sunday, some horrible turn of events for my fantasy teams. The bengals and the ravens have seemingly put in some great games in Baltimore these past couple of years.

In a way I find it hard to believe the Chiefs have never lost in Lambo Field (and have onlyh played there thrice) but today feels like a good day to break the streak.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk