Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=102552
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 06:56
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Big Three - who are they?
Posted By: Green Shield Stamp
Subject: The Big Three - who are they?
Date Posted: May 23 2015 at 19:18
I recently posted a poll called The Big Three, asking which band was the greatest: Genesis, Pink Floyd or Yes. Many people argued that the poll was inaccurate and that these weren't the three best prog bands. So, if pushed to choose only the three best prog bands, which would you choose?

Just to get things started, I think that the three greatest prog bands of all time are (in order)
1. Genesis
2. Pink Floyd
3. Yes

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Replies:
Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: May 23 2015 at 19:36
Now if i recall correctly - a common issue that pops up in this debate is to what are we measuring the bands? 
Their "actual" popularity at the time? Their influence they've had? Or just which bands do we prefer? 

You say which are the best three prog bands in your question, but only King Crimson would maybe pop into my Top 3 of all time. I would but VdGG with of them in the 70's - but i'd be mad if i was going to try to say VdGG is more popular than any of the ones you mentioned..

So to morph the question given to "What are your 3 favorite 70's Prog Bands?"

Genesis, King Crimson, VdGG

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: May 23 2015 at 19:59
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

I recently posted a poll called The Big Three, asking which band was the greatest: Genesis, Pink Floyd or Yes. Many people argued that the poll was inaccurate and that these weren't the three best prog bands. So, if pushed to choose only the three best prog bands, which would you choose?

Just to get things started, I think that the three greatest prog bands of all time are (in order)
1. Genesis
2. Pink Floyd
3. Yes

Are we basing this on personal preference? Album sales? Influence? Some other more subjective measure?

If we were basing it on album sales during the period when the bands were actually progressive, it would go like this:

1) Pink Floyd
2) Yes
3) Jethro Tull

ELP might also be in the conversation from 1970-77 and Rush from the late 70s to mid-80s, but neither King Crimson (who would lose most any album sales contest because they've only managed one gold album, ItCotKC, in the States or the U.K.) or Genesis (which didn't have a top ten album in the States until Duke, and by then most of their progginess was banished -- although they were more popular in the UK and their first top ten was SEbtP, but that accounts for far less albums sold).

Otherwise, it boils down to some subjective opinion or personal preference. Therefore, personally, I would say:

1) Jethro Tull
2) Pink Floyd
3) Yes

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: May 23 2015 at 20:03
no brainer man

Yes, ELP, King Crimson

the classics, the creators, and the bands associated WITH prog not just by prog fans.. but anyone who knows anything OF prog.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: May 23 2015 at 20:04
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

no brainer man

Yes, ELP, King Crimson

the classics, the creators, and the bands associated WITH prog not just by prog fans.. but anyone who knows anything OF prog.
Thank Gawd you didn't throw in any silly Italian bands, Mick.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Date Posted: May 23 2015 at 20:08
LOL  only if some clowns had tried to throw Tull into the conversation

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: May 23 2015 at 20:11

LOL  only if some clowns had tried to throw Tull into the conversation
Hey, my nose is red from drinking, not from being at the circus!Beer

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2015 at 20:13
Thumbs UpBeerLOL same here!

-------------

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: May 23 2015 at 20:22
Potemkine
Piere E I Cottonfields
Annexus Quam

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: May 23 2015 at 21:32
1. Yes
2. Pink Floyd
3. Rush

BUT, if it's just in general, then it's Yes, Genesis & King Crimson (for pure prog at its finest for sure)

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: jammindude
Date Posted: May 23 2015 at 21:45
I sometimes get looked at cross-eyed for this opinion, but I honestly believe that The Moody Blues need to be considered in this discussion.    I think you could make a good case for Days of Future Past being the first full on progressive rock album....predating In the Court of the Crimson King by two full years....although Piper by PF beat it by just 2 or 3 months.    It may have a lighter feel to it, but I feel the Moodies were extremely important to the early prog rock movement.  

Still though, I don't think they'd quite crack my top 3....maybe in a tie...but I always like to give them an honorable mention because I feel like they get left out of the discussion too often. 

I would go with:

1. King Crimson
2. Pink Floyd
3. Genesis/Yes/Moody Blues  (tie)

-------------
"Better the pride that resides
In a citizen of the world
Than the pride that divides
When a colorful rag is unfurled" -Neil Peart

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: May 23 2015 at 21:47
Univers Zero
Henry Cow
King Crimson

Pretty straight forward really

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: May 23 2015 at 22:06
I find it very difficult to get it down to three... specially if I try to think about the best, or most succesful, or whatever. I think your choices were mostly acurate... though some might argue that Pink Floyd wouldn't be prog enough, or that either King Crimson (for their importance to prog) and ELP (for their importance and popularity) should be included. Or else, Jethro Tull, for it's popularity. However, if I should want to make a BIG # list of prog bands, I would think about narrowing the list to british bands, since that's were prog's popularity began and where the most popular bands come from, and I would have to broaden the number to 6, since I just can't find a way to leave any of this out: Pink Floyd, King Crimson, ELP, Yes, Genesis, and Jethro Tull. If I really had to narrow it any further, I would go with 4, leaving the less proggy ones out (Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd).

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: May 23 2015 at 23:27
  • King Crimson
  • Yes
  • Genesis
...based upon the strength of the compositions, quality of instrumentals and vocals, and influence upon the genre. 

There were many outstanding bands, but I think these guys influenced everything in prog, then and now.

Posted By: Komandant Shamal
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 07:05
The Big Three were ELP, Yes and Jethro Tull.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 07:19
I would choose not to choose.  With so many great artists out there, what the hell is the dammed point?  If you can provide one definitive answer to this question I might offer an opinion, but who the hell would really care what I thought?

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 07:51
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I would choose not to choose.  With so many great artists out there, what the hell is the dammed point?  If you can provide one definitive answer to this question I might offer an opinion, but who the hell would really care what I thought?
Absolutely, we could all be outside living our lives rather than adding to the cosmic cacophony of millions of opinions all scrambling to be heard and acknowledged but resolutely ignored in the coldness of space!Ermm sorry.. did i really write that..Wacko.. err.. Magma, Van der Graaf Generator and Henry Cow.. or Can..Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: RoeDent
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 08:36
There's too many issues where people's opinions differ for there to be a definitive Big Three, and this thread shows that already. Some think it's about sales, some think it's influence, some disagree over whether some of these bands are "progressive" enough or not.

Simply put, there is absolutely no definitive answer to this, and there never will be. /thread

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 08:49
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

• King Crimson
  • Yes
  • Genesis
...based upon the strength of the compositions, quality of instrumentals and vocals, and influence upon the genre. 

There were many outstanding bands, but I think these guys influenced everything in prog, then and now.

That's my big three as well, I would love to somehow get Floyd in there but only three right? ELP and Jethro Tull aren't even close but that's just my taste in music.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 10:49
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Some think it's about sales, some think it's influence, some disagree over whether some of these bands are "progressive" enough or not.

Personally, i think about the popularity of English singing progressive rock bands in 70s, ie at the time when all the legends were current bands as well. So, as Floyds were regarded as a great psychedelic rock band in 70s, ie not prog, and as Genesis were an obscure band in the early 70s and went to pop with ATTWT, The Big Three of progressive rock regarding popularity in 70s that could be only ELP, Tull and Yes.

Oh and following the same criteria, Crimsons, who were disbanded in the middle of decade, with their slightly, lets say, "avant" prog for 70s - eg LTIA or "Red" era - werent in "the big three".

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 10:50
No-one will ever agree on this so my Last FM listening over the last 6 years or so show:

1. Magma
2. Henry Cow
3. Genesis, with ELP not far behind...

Not many readers are likely to agree to that!!

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 10:56
I'll just say my personal favorite 3 70's prog bands.

1. Rush
2. Eloy
3. Gentle Giant

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 11:57
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

• King Crimson
  • Yes
  • Genesis

That's my big three as well, I would love to somehow get Floyd in there but only three right? ELP and Jethro Tull aren't even close but that's just my taste in music.

My thoughts exactly. King Crimson are perhaps the best "progressive" group when you take it literally, as they've constantly evolved but produced consistently good music in its own right. Yes have a signature sound which is the kind of style that instantly comes to mind when I think about prog rock, and Genesis are just Genesis Smile JT and ELP both had much fewer classic albums than the others, but I reckon it should be "The Big Four", with Pink Floyd included as well.

Posted By: WrytXander
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 11:59
Influence-wise (as in influence in progressive rock):

1) King Crimson
2) Gentle Giant
3) Yes

Progginess-wise:

1) King Crimson
2) Yes
3) ELP

Popularity-wise:

1) Pink Floyd
2) Rush
3) Genesis (as their popularity comes mostly from the pop period)

Uniqueness-wise

1) Magma
2) Frank Zappa/MoI
3) VdGG/Soft Machine (similar yet different)

It just goes on and on...

-------------
20+ prog bands discovered and explored in 3 years, still going strong...

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 12:57
Funny how the english language plays an important role here when it comes to choose 'the big three' - go asking the same question in some italian spoken prog forum, for example LOL

Le Orme is easily one of my BIG threes, without considering that I have so far too much of stunning RPI still to dig into Wink

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 13:03
OK, from the '70's and restricting my choices to one per a country who have at least one vocalist - Genesis, Kansas, PFM.   arrrrrrgggghhhh LOL

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 13:36
The Mars Volta
Porcupine Tree
Battles

Yup, something like that.

-------------

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 13:42
Zappa, Magma, Can

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 15:15
1. Emerson
2. Lake
3. Palmer

Wink

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 15:25
LOLThumbs UpClap

-------------

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 17:31

• King Crimson
  • Yes
  • Genesis

Very wise words above, couldn't agree more. There are prog bands I love, Magma for example, but the Big Three and the reasons are told here.

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 19:37

no brainer man

Yes, ELP, King Crimson

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 20:52
King Crimson
Genesis
Yes

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 21:49
Originally posted by Komandant Shamal Komandant Shamal wrote:

Some think it's about sales, some think it's influence, some disagree over whether some of these bands are "progressive" enough or not.

Personally, i think about the popularity of English singing progressive rock bands in 70s, ie at the time when all the legends were current bands as well. So, as Floyds were regarded as a great psychedelic rock band in 70s, ie not prog, and as Genesis were an obscure band in the early 70s and went to pop with ATTWT, The Big Three of progressive rock regarding popularity in 70s that could be only ELP, Tull and Yes.

Oh and following the same criteria, Crimsons, who were disbanded in the middle of decade, with their slightly, lets say, "avant" prog for 70s - eg LTIA or "Red" era - werent in "the big three".

I think this is a very objective and workable point of view to choose the big 3

Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 22:02
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

• <span style="line-height: 1.4;">King Crimson</span>
  • <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Yes</span>
  • <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Genesis</span>

<span style="line-height: 1.4;"></span>

My thoughts exactly. King Crimson are perhaps the best "progressive" group when you take it literally, as they've constantly evolved but produced consistently good music in its own right. Yes have a signature sound which is the kind of style that instantly comes to mind when I think about prog rock, and Genesis are just Genesis Smile JT and ELP both had much fewer classic albums than the others, but I reckon it should be "The Big Four", with Pink Floyd included as well.

Actually, I feel King Crimson has kept a more recognizable sound throughout the years than Yes and Genesis... Genesis at least on the change from prog albums in the 70's to pop albums in the 80's sound like a totally different band (and still, Banks keyboards offer the link that would betray them if they had wanted to pass as a different band). Yes, well they have had many different line-ups and eras, and they do sound different from one to the other. There's just about no relationship between Owner of a Lonely Heart an 90125 (and the whole west line-up work, actually) to what they did in the 70's golden years. And then there's the Sherwood albums, and Drama, and the 2010's albums, which may have more to betray the band, but still have rather different sounds. As for King Crimson, they do have many songs within each album that sounds like a real evolution for the band... but then, they always had at least some songs with the Schizoid Man element. There's Pictures of a City, Cirkus, Sailor's Tale (entering the instrumental version which would become very common from this time forward), Easy Money, Lark's Toungues (both parts, and then the other parts that would appear on later albums), a great deal of Red, Discipline and Indiscipline, Vroom Vroom, Level Five. And there's surely many others I forgot, or don't know yet, or whatever.

Posted By: Terakonin
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 22:06
Disclaimer: These are not necessarily my three favourite prog bands:

Yes
King Crimson
Genesis

ELP, Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd round out the top six. Again, these are not even my six favourite prog bands.

-------------
You left a note in your perfect script
Stay as long as you like
I haven't left your bed since

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: May 25 2015 at 02:37
Personal Favorites (of the classic era):
Genesis
Jade Warrior
Frank Zappa (and the MOI)

Successful (by Prog standards)
Jethro Tull
ELP
Frank Zappa

Most canonical exemplars:
Genesis
Yes
King Crimson

Most influential:
Genesis
Jethro Tull
Soft Machine

Most innovative:
King Crimson
Frank Zappa
Captain Beefheart

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: May 25 2015 at 04:19
The question depends on when and how. 

Chronologically over a fifteen year time span from 1968:

Pink Floyd
Soft Machine
The Nice

Pink Floyd
Soft Machine
King Crimson

Pink Floyd
King Crimson
Jethro Tull

Pink Floyd
Yes 
ELP

Pink Floyd
Yes 
Genesis

King Crimson
Rush
Marillion

-------------
What?

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: May 25 2015 at 06:20
If we're going purely on faves, then..

Rush
Genesis
King Crimson

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: May 25 2015 at 09:13

• King Crimson
  • Yes
  • Genesis

Exactly my thoughts. Another one also used the word 'canonical' for them. If I only had to choose three as typical examples for defining the genre I would choose these three.

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: May 25 2015 at 10:46

For "canonical," I'd probably choose King Crimson, Yes and Pink Floyd.

For my favorite big three, Floyd would be replaced by ELP.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: May 25 2015 at 12:00
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Thanks.
 BTW, by the progressive rock solo artists, that were Frank Zappa, Mike Oldfield and Todd Rundgren. They were The Big Three of progressive rock solo artists regarding their popularity in 70s.

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: May 25 2015 at 12:32
Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer
and maybe Anthrax

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: May 25 2015 at 12:38

Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

• <span style="line-height: 1.4;">King Crimson</span>
  • <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Yes</span>
  • <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Genesis</span>

<span style="line-height: 1.4;"></span>

Actually, I feel King Crimson has kept a more recognizable sound throughout the years than Yes and Genesis... Genesis at least on the change from prog albums in the 70's to pop albums in the 80's sound like a totally different band (and still, Banks keyboards offer the link that would betray them if they had wanted to pass as a different band). Yes, well they have had many different line-ups and eras, and they do sound different from one to the other. There's just about no relationship between Owner of a Lonely Heart an 90125 (and the whole west line-up work, actually) to what they did in the 70's golden years. And then there's the Sherwood albums, and Drama, and the 2010's albums, which may have more to betray the band, but still have rather different sounds. As for King Crimson, they do have many songs within each album that sounds like a real evolution for the band... but then, they always had at least some songs with the Schizoid Man element. There's Pictures of a City, Cirkus, Sailor's Tale (entering the instrumental version which would become very common from this time forward), Easy Money, Lark's Toungues (both parts, and then the other parts that would appear on later albums), a great deal of Red, Discipline and Indiscipline, Vroom Vroom, Level Five. And there's surely many others I forgot, or don't know yet, or whatever.

Sure, but when you solely consider each band's output in terms of prog, King Crimson didn't have a consistent signature sound like Yes did. They went through certain phases (e.g. the 3-album Discipline era), but Yes and Genesis had a much more gradual change. From their early works until CTTE, Yes just developed their sound and then branched off a little with Tales and Relayer, but the feel was still very similar. Genesis did have a constant but faster evolution throughout their albums but it can be traced, as you start to hear their progressive pop crossover on ATTWT when Hackett left. For me, whenever King Crimson experiments with a new style, they go right into it and almost sound like a different band (from Islands to LTIA for example). It's mainly down to the fact that Fripp repeatedly fires and hires members. However, they still use a similar album template (a ballad like "I Talk To The Wind", a lengthy experimentation like "The Devil's Triangle", a more frantic one like "Easy Money", and so on), but produce something that's entirely different. The contrast between Schizoid Man and Red is much more obvious than that of, say Heart Of The Sunrise and Gates Of Delirium for me. Either way, they're still both incredible bands.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: May 26 2015 at 10:32
It's like asking what are the four main food groups. Base and inconsequential.

Date Posted: May 26 2015 at 12:53

Thanks.
 BTW, by the progressive rock solo artists, that were Frank Zappa, Mike Oldfield and Todd Rundgren. They were The Big Three of progressive rock solo artists regarding their popularity in 70s.

Oh, I feel that with solo artists it would be even more difficult for people to agree. I would think that Rick Wakeman should be in there. And I would not consider Todd Rundgren just because I know just about nothing of him    Actually, I don't know much from Frank Zappa either, but he's got quiet a reputation, though.

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: May 26 2015 at 13:27
Radiohead, Muse, and Tool.

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Date Posted: May 26 2015 at 13:28
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Yes...but then that covers about half of the post threads on the board.

LOL

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: May 26 2015 at 13:32
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I didn't know base and inconsequential were food groups.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: May 26 2015 at 14:24
Santa Maria
La Nińa
La Pinta

-------------

Date Posted: May 26 2015 at 19:10

Thanks.

Oh, I feel that with solo artists it would be even more difficult for people to agree. I would think that Rick Wakeman should be in there. And I would not consider Todd Rundgren just because I know just about nothing of him    Actually, I don't know much from Frank Zappa either, but he's got quiet a reputation, though.
 You should check Todd Rundgren's albums from 70s. Todd's 70s stuff sound very fresh, not dated at all and pretty modern even today, after 40 years. 
Agreed with you regarding the popularity of Rick Wakeman but i'm afraid that in 70s -aside of big sales of his solo albums "Journey To The Center Of The Earth", "Six Wives of Henry VIII" and "Myths And Legends of King Arthur" - he was [and still] mainly know as the keyboards wizard for Yes so i wouldnt consider Rick Wakeman as one of The Big Three progressive rock solo artists of 70s.

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: May 26 2015 at 20:48
Popularity:
Floyd
Yes
ELP
Not much to debate on that. Except maybe Rush for the third.

Favourites:
Floyd
Genesis
Tull
Wanted KC to come in but...

Influence on the genre:
KC
Floyd
The Wilde Flower
The third basically split up and combined members to form some of the greatest prog bands ever (Caravan, Gong, Soft Machine, Hatfield, and even Camel)

Lesser-known names from the 70's that had a big influence (on me and the genre)
Henry Cow
Gentle Giant
Renaissance
Every album HC came out with is five stars in my book, Octopus is my favourite album to ever exist, and Novella was my first ever album, which hooked me in to this genre. 

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: May 27 2015 at 03:38
Right, we shouldn't treat this question too scientifically.
I just speak from the heart.
Then it would be:

Yes, Genesis, and.........

Erm... Floyd? Crimson? ELP? Ermm

Okay, Yes, Genesis, ELP. 

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: May 27 2015 at 04:45
This one is really easy: Pavarotti, Domingo and Carreras =P

Going back to prog,  the most logical answer is King Crimson, Yes, Genesis. And I'm totally OK with it.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: May 27 2015 at 05:24
Originally posted by jammindude jammindude wrote:

I sometimes get looked at cross-eyed for this opinion, but I honestly believe that The Moody Blues need to be considered in this discussion.    I think you could make a good case for Days of Future Past being the first full on progressive rock album....predating In the Court of the Crimson King by two full years....although Piper by PF beat it by just 2 or 3 months.    It may have a lighter feel to it, but I feel the Moodies were extremely important to the early prog rock movement.  

Still though, I don't think they'd quite crack my top 3....maybe in a tie...but I always like to give them an honorable mention because I feel like they get left out of the discussion too often. 

I would go with:

1. King Crimson
2. Pink Floyd
3. Genesis/Yes/Moody Blues  (tie)

I totally agree with your Moody comments here, I only "discovered" them last year but their influence seems to me to be massive.

So, for influence:

The Moody Blues
King Crimson
Pink Floyd

I was always lead to believe there was an established big 4:

Pink Floyd
Yes
King Crimson
Genesis

But my big 3 (as in favourites) are:

IQ
Genesis (the Hackett years)
Dream Theater
Ayreon

Tongue

Posted By: A_Flower
Date Posted: May 31 2015 at 09:38
I don't say big three, instead I separate everything in tiers of four

Tier One: Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd
Tier Two: Rush, Jethro Tull, ELP, The Moody Blues
Tier Three: Frank Zappa, VDGG, Camel, Gentle Giant
Tier Four: Mike Oldfeild, The Soft Machine, Caravan, Magma

It goes on, and there is a different are for the new bands. I haven't planned it all out, but tier one has Dream Theatre, Porcupine Tree, Marrilion, and The Flower Kings

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: May 31 2015 at 11:30

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Date Posted: May 31 2015 at 11:48
1- John
2 - Paul
3 - Jones Big smile

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: June 03 2015 at 17:35
Floyd and Crimson just aren't good enough composers to be top 5 let alone top 3. Tull are definitely top 3. I prefer gentle giant, van der graaf, caravan, camel and magma over yes and genesis. Top 3 is hard to choose but tull are definitely #1. The remixed album sets just reinforce this

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Date Posted: June 03 2015 at 19:56
You are such a card.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: June 03 2015 at 21:23
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Floyd and Crimson just aren't good enough composers to be top 5 let alone top 3.

Floyd, we agree.  King Crimson, we don't.  

Date Posted: June 03 2015 at 22:22

Floyd and Crimson just aren't good enough composers to be top 5 let alone top 3.

If they stuck with the Poseidon line up I would rate them a lot higher. The Wetton era really lack strong composition to me.

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: NutterAlert
Date Posted: June 04 2015 at 03:06
Based on today's playlist..

1. Ozark Mountain Daredevils
2. New Riders of the Purple Sage
3. Grateful Dead

Yeeeehhhhhaaaa

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: June 05 2015 at 09:11
Genesis

Pink Floyd

Dream Theater.

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: Bitterblogger
Date Posted: June 05 2015 at 16:03
The genre is too massive to be captured in just three bands. Probably 10 is more fitting.

From a perusal of this thread, Crimson, Floyd, Genesis, Tull and Yes are non-excludable. Rounding it out from there starts depending on more personal appeal, although ELP, Rush and Zappa are copiously mentioned. Perhaps the latter two spots could be more avant-garde or non-English language.

Date Posted: June 05 2015 at 18:56

If they stuck with the Poseidon line up I would rate them a lot higher. The Wetton era really lack strong composition to me.

I would rather they stuck with the Original Line-up, actually. At least for a few more albums.

Date Posted: June 05 2015 at 22:34
Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

Based on today's playlist..

1. Ozark Mountain Daredevils
2. New Riders of the Purple Sage
3. Grateful Dead

Yeeeehhhhhaaaa

You certainly live up to your board name.

LOL

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: PoolmanProgger
Date Posted: June 09 2015 at 01:35
In terms of popularity, the top 3 would probably be Pink Floyd, Genesis and Yes. In terms of influence, I think the top 3 would be Pink Floyd, Yes and Rush. As for me personally, my three favorites are Rush, Yes and King Crimson, though there are many others I also like.

-------------
Prog On!

Date Posted: June 09 2015 at 17:58
I'd say my big 3 are tull, camel and gentle giant. They have a bit of fun with their music. Yes and Floyd are way too serious

-------------

Posted By: raeloneq
Date Posted: June 12 2015 at 20:03
My opinion would be YES, Genesis and ELP.

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: June 13 2015 at 05:04
In the 100% subjective sense:

1. Yes
2. Genesis
3. King Crimson

-------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"

Posted By: Cookie13
Date Posted: March 12 2016 at 06:17
Honorable mentions;
Pink Floyd,
Magma,
Tool.

3. The Mars Volta
2. Radiohead
1. King Crimson

-------------
"Clipside of the pinkeye flight
I'm not the percent you think survives
I need sanctuary in the pages of this book."

Son Et Lumiere - The Mars Volta

Date Posted: March 12 2016 at 06:52
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

1. Yes
2. Genesis
3. King Crimson

ELP... Genesis were NEVER in the same class as those 3. Musically or in overall importance.  Yeah they are popular.. doesn't put them on the same level as those that created, popularized, and inflluenced pretty much every prog rock band that came afterward. 

-------------

Posted By: Matthew _Gill
Date Posted: March 12 2016 at 06:55
1. Pink Floyd
2. Genesis
3. Archive

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpOoJ0OTLg0&t" rel="nofollow - Click here to see a mind-blowing Flashlight

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: March 12 2016 at 08:13

Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

1. Yes
2. Genesis
3. King Crimson

ELP... Genesis were NEVER in the same class as those 3. Musically or in overall importance.  Yeah they are popular.. doesn't put them on the same level as those that created, popularized, and inflluenced pretty much every prog rock band that came afterward. 

While Genesis were certainly shakier in terms of quality than the other two, I wouldn't say they were unimportant in the slightest. They're probably the most imitated sound in all of prog. Just listen to any neo-prog, after all. Though ELP would also be an excellent choice, as the whole keyboard/bass/drums power trio was also an oft imitated sound back in the day and you can hear shades of Emerson resonating through many keyboardists repertoire.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Date Posted: March 12 2016 at 08:28
of course they are not 'not' important. My point is.. always has been... they are simple not on the same level with any semblance of objective thought...as Yes, ELP, or King Crimson.

In my mind is not even debatable they are ..were.. and will always be.. the 3 faces on the prog Mount Rushmore. The bands that even non prog fans know as PROG.

Without them there was no prog.. sh*t man.. there would have been no Genesis as you then.. or more to the point. They would have not left the pop songs (excellent at that) of their debut and messed around with their arty phase.. and either into the dust bin of history.. or found their true talents a decade earlier as pop artists.

-------------

Date Posted: March 12 2016 at 08:45
ZAPPA
MAGMA
KING CRIMSON

Afficher limage dorigine

Date Posted: March 12 2016 at 08:58
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Afficher limage dorigine

cute..honey ducks are cute... but Mick likes 'em sleazy and sexy. 

-------------

Posted By: Arnulf Floyd
Date Posted: July 11 2017 at 09:47
1: Yes
2: Pink Floyd
3: Genesis

-------------
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: July 11 2017 at 10:40
King Crimson
Pink Floyd
ELP

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: July 12 2017 at 08:16
Yes
Genesis
King Crimson

See? That was easy!!!

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: July 12 2017 at 08:54
Best is subject to personal interpretation. However, I would agree that PF, Yes and Genesis are the big three. If some don't consider PF to be prog you could substitute them with ELP. Some might also substitute them with KC. I think influence and popularity should be considered otherwise it's just someone's three favorites band list. 

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 07:51
Still I think my big three are

Genesis
Pink Floyd
Dream Theater

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 08:18
1. Gentle Giant
2. The Giant
3. Giant Gentle

-------------

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 08:29
Pink Floyd
Tangerine Dream
Eloy

Posted By: ALotOfBottle
Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 08:39
1. Starcastle
2. Krokodil
3. Pazop

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 10:08
1.- Genesis
2.- ELP
3.- Yes

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 10:24
Yes
Genesis
Pink Floyd

Think it's pretty hard to argue against those 3.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 10:37
Moody Blues were very important to prog.  Without them I'm not sure what prog would have looked like.  But they were not capital P prog.  As much as they aren't among my very favorites, I have to go with King Crimson, Yes, and Genesis for influence on the prog that would follow.  Honorable mention to ELP, Pink Floyd, and Jethro Tull.   

Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 12:43
Mayday!  Who are they?  Where do they get the clouds of must believe.  Jan Hammer Group from Melodies.  I just listened to Melodies a day or so ago.

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 13:34
I agree that Yes, Genesis and Pink Floyd are the big three. If we are going by a strict definition of prog I would swap out PF for King Crimson. King Crimson might have lacked the album sales of ELP or JT but I think they made up for it in influence. These days they are probably more of a gateway band to prog than just about any other band except for maybe Rush or PF. 

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 13:40
BIG BIG TRAIN
BIG LIETTO PER L'INFERNO
THE NOTORIOUS B.I.G.

Seriously, I think it's really tough to limit to three and haven't thought in quite those terms. Big five, big seven, big eight, sure.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 16:36
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

1. Gentle Giant
2. The Giant
3. Giant Gentle

This list is perfect! Wouldn't change a thing. 

Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 16:38
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

1. Starcastle
2. Krokodil
3. Pazop

Some love for Krokodil!

An Invisible World Revealed!!!!!!!! 

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 16:41
Neil and Jack and me.

Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 16:42
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

1.- Genesis
2.- ELP
3.- Yes

Absolutely agree. My order, though, would be.. 

1. - Yes
2. - Genesis(Just a HAIR behind Yes/pretty much tied)
3. - ELP 

Gentle Giant 

Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 16:51
Couldn't possibly have Yes, Elp or Crimson in there. Just didn't do enough after the early 70s. It's can only be between Tull, Gentle Giant, Camel, Magma, Le Orme and Genesis.

-------------

Posted By: soundloverr
Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 06:00
It's very difficult to creted relay The Big Three.
Fo example, I consider Gentle Giatnt as most outstanding band, what ever. But if we're talking about THE BIG THREE, my list will be :
Zappa,
Genesis (first 4 album),
Pink Froyd

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 07:57
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Yes
Genesis
Pink Floyd

Yeah, I agree - pretty hard and pointless !

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 08:36
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Yes
Genesis
Pink Floyd

I find a "Big Three" without King Crimson inconceivable.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk