YES! Progs Stance On Vegetarianism?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=102685
Printed Date: May 03 2024 at 17:37
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: YES! Progs Stance On Vegetarianism?
Posted By: Gary Preston
Subject: YES! Progs Stance On Vegetarianism?
Date Posted: June 01 2015 at 03:00

"Support your local vegetarian snackbar!"

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0AjS4xWYGRL" rel="nofollow - http://vocaroo.com/i/s0AjS4xWYGRL

Is your appreciation of prog enhanced if you are a vegetarian?Wink

-------------
Endeavours to support those seeking to uphold classical ideals against the dissonance of modernity....

Replies:
Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: June 01 2015 at 03:48
...in an interview he [Anderson] stated, "I was a veggie for a while, but again I grew out of that. But I do eat very healthy." LOL

-------------
What?

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: June 01 2015 at 05:31
Hmmm, part-time veggie!  I hope he is still off lamb after that famous line in 'The Ancient' off Topographic Oceans.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: June 01 2015 at 06:16
Well, I don't know if my level of prog appreciation changes for good or for bad if I would become a veggie, just because this ain't my cup of meat.

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: June 01 2015 at 07:00
Who's the dude in the hat ??

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: June 01 2015 at 09:45
I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years now, but I loved prog before that; it hasn't affected my taste of music, but I find it inspiring when some prog musicians are also vegetarians. 

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: June 01 2015 at 09:50
I second that, Manuel!

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: June 01 2015 at 14:19
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Looks like the guy from Jethro Tull....LOL

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: June 01 2015 at 15:30
A vegetarian may have some deviant views on prog: http://www.progarchives.com/mp3.asp?id=684" rel="nofollow - one of them stated that http://www.progarchives.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=12662" rel="nofollow - Kansas is not prog and wanted people who thought otherwise to get out of the room.

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: June 01 2015 at 17:07
Steve Hackett was a vegetarian. I don't know if he still is. I'm underlyingly a vegetarian. I stick to a vegetarian diet except in the case of fish, shrimp, scallops, lobster, chicken, ribs (pork or beef), really big hamburgers, lamb and veal. I don't touch bacon, bologna and spam.

My top ten favorite vegetables:

1. Sugar cane
2. Peyote
3. Marijuana
4. Catsup
5. Shrooms
6. Dandelion leaves
7. Rhubarb (stem)
8. Rhubarb (leaves)
9. Maple syrup
10. Hogweed

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: June 01 2015 at 17:15
Obviously, I can only speak for myself. But, I was a strict vegetarian for about 12 years. These happened to run through the 1980's, the decade during which I was least engaged with progressive music. Coincidence, direct relationship, or maybe just co-habitating with whom would soon become the crazy ex-wife. You decide !-)

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: June 01 2015 at 17:20
Ermm Steak and potatoes will do just fine, thank you.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: June 01 2015 at 17:29

hmmmm, from what i can remember from the back cover of Close to the Edge, i'd say that's Eddie Offord good sir!

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: June 01 2015 at 17:38
^ and you'd be correct!

Love YES... buy I love sausage, ham, turkey, venison, even 7-11 hotdogs even more..

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: June 01 2015 at 21:43
I'm eating a green salad right now.  I won't say it would be better with meat, but it could use more dressing!

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: June 02 2015 at 00:29
Am I the only one to think of Rick Wakeman's roast turkey story after spotting this topic? 

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Date Posted: June 02 2015 at 00:37
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

hmmmm, from what i can remember from the back cover of Close to the Edge, i'd say that's Eddie Offord good sir!

Upon looking at the pic on the back cover of CTTE, I realised the dude (who looks like his proud of his 'cigarette') is Eddie Offord . Squire isn't far behind........

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: June 02 2015 at 03:23
Close to the barbecue

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Ozgorilla
Date Posted: June 02 2015 at 06:04
I don't mind the occasional seasoned witch and rearranged liver for dinner.

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: June 02 2015 at 07:10
Originally posted by Ozgorilla Ozgorilla wrote:

I don't mind the occasional seasoned witch and rearranged liver for dinner.

LOL

Date Posted: June 02 2015 at 07:26
I respect those who chose vegetarianism - good luck to them. I could not survive without a juicy steak or burger every now and then.
It doesn't alter my taste for Prog, I couldn't care less if a Prog band were cannibals, as long as their music was awesome.................
Although someone like Zappa's Roy Estrada belongs where he is......... (what a disappointment that is...........)

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: June 02 2015 at 08:56
Wow I did not know that weird information about the original Mothers of Invention Bassist. Great info to hear in the morning.

Also, I never thought prog had much to do with vegetarianism. What I do know is that I would never give up on turkey bacon dang it! 

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: June 02 2015 at 10:47
Yow, I had no idea. Loved the second Little Feat album on which he played. Guess I'll never listen to it in quite the same way...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: June 02 2015 at 11:31
Just pass the A.1.!

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 02 2015 at 14:53
I didn't know 'prog' had a stance on vegetarianism.....but I'll never give up chicken and fish.. and the odd pork chop and steak.
So what's the deal with Roy Estrada..?

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: June 02 2015 at 15:00
Yes had macrobiotic vegetarian health food enthusiasts and curry guzzling beer drinkers and fag smokers alike.. RW said he NEVER tried even smoking a joint yet the healthier, more spiritual contingent puffed fairly regularly (allegedly!) so there you have it.. the 70's in a nutshell and probably most bands (prog or otherwise) were the same. It was an important part of a healthier, more forward looking and spiritual way of living to many people back then and with some musicians that was strongly linked to their creative efforts. Nowadays?... dont think there are many people who would either (A) expose their personal beliefs or spiritual values to the negative, tearing, crowing reactionary masses or (B) give a f***

-------------

Date Posted: June 02 2015 at 15:02
Yes, what is the deal with Roy Estrada???Wacko

-------------

Date Posted: June 02 2015 at 15:39
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Yes had macrobiotic vegetarian health food enthusiasts and curry guzzling beer drinkers and fag smokers alike.. RW said he NEVER tried even smoking a joint yet the healthier, more spiritual contingent puffed fairly regularly (allegedly!) so there you have it.. the 70's in a nutshell and probably most bands (prog or otherwise) were the same. It was an important part of a healthier, more forward looking and spiritual way of living to many people back then and with some musicians that was strongly linked to their creative efforts. Nowadays?... dont think there are many people who would either (A) expose their personal beliefs or spiritual values to the negative, tearing, crowing reactionary masses or (B) give a f***

Don't ever say "fag smokers" in mixed company, I'm telling you.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: June 02 2015 at 15:46
Oops.. my apologies; one forgets that certain things dont translate too well across the pond (old chap)Wink
Now you have mentioned it i have some very strange images in my headConfused

-------------

Date Posted: June 02 2015 at 15:52
No worries, old man.

-------------

Date Posted: June 02 2015 at 22:06
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Let's just say he ended up in the same boat as Gary Glitter, if you get my drift.

-------------

Date Posted: June 03 2015 at 15:53
Hmm i do indeed get your drift...

-------------

Posted By: Floyd Steely
Date Posted: June 04 2015 at 08:44
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Am I the only one to think of Rick Wakeman's roast turkey story after spotting this topic? 

It was the very first thing I thought of. One of my favorite Yes stories. I repeated it to a vegetarian friend of mine and he loved it as well -- go figure.

-------------
And if you can't be with the prog you love, honey, love the prog you're with.

Posted By: TheRollingOrange
Date Posted: June 04 2015 at 18:30
Well i don't know about that... I've been vegan for almost a year and vegetarian for six, i wasn't even into prog before that. I think it's interesting though with many artists being vegetarian during that time. Both yes and steve hackett, and I know keith emerson tried to be a a vegetarian for a while.

Date Posted: June 04 2015 at 18:33
Originally posted by TheRollingOrange TheRollingOrange wrote:

Well i don't know about that... I've been vegan for almost a year and vegetarian for six, i wasn't even into prog before that. I think it's interesting though with many artists being vegetarian during that time. Both yes and steve hackett, and I know keith emerson tried to be a a vegetarian for a while.
Purely coincidental, nothing more.

-------------
What?

Posted By: TheRollingOrange
Date Posted: June 04 2015 at 18:36
of course, your diet doesn't change what music you like. maybe i was unclear about that in my message.

Date Posted: June 04 2015 at 22:45

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Let's just say he ended up in the same boat as Gary Glitter, if you get my drift.

Uh...I have no idea who 'Gary Glitter' is.
LOL

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: June 05 2015 at 00:00
@Wu: A British glam rocker from the 1970s, who, like Estrada, flushed his career down the toilet and is now a convicted child sex offender and is nowadays the butt of many pedophile jokes.

Back on topic, I assume the bulk of the protein that you would get from meat is replaced from stuff like beans? I'm not sure if I can live a vegetarian diet, but I could give living off several large cans of  BBQ beans every days for a few weeks a shot.

-------------

Date Posted: June 05 2015 at 07:08

@Wu: A British glam rocker from the 1970s, who, like Estrada, flushed his career down the toilet and is now a convicted child sex offender and is nowadays the butt of many pedophile jokes.

Back on topic, I assume the bulk of the protein that you would get from meat is replaced from stuff like beans? I'm not sure if I can live a vegetarian diet, but I could give living off several large cans of  BBQ beans every days for a few weeks a shot.

it depends whether you are vegetarian or vegan.  Vegetarians tend to consume a lot of dairy products (milk, yoghurt, cheese) for protein sources.  Vegans don't eat any animal-based proteins so it's a lot harder to get adequate protein.

I eat very little meat and am thinking of giving it up altogether, but life without cheese?  No way.

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: June 06 2015 at 15:18
I was into prog long before I stopped eating meat. My appreciation has increased but I think that is due more to living a healthier (and sober) life than specifically the greens. Wink

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Posted By: Battlepriest
Date Posted: June 06 2015 at 17:25
I'm a vegetarian, but don't relate it to my interest in progressive rock. Like being liberal or conservative or libertarian, prog has its share of carnivores and herbivores. Some are christians, some agnostics, some gay, some straight. I don't see a real connection between prog and any personal philosophy or orientation, other than a firm belief it not making crap music. :)

Date Posted: June 06 2015 at 17:49
Originally posted by Battlepriest Battlepriest wrote:

I'm a vegetarian, but don't relate it to my interest in progressive rock. Like being liberal or conservative or libertarian, prog has its share of carnivores and herbivores. Some are christians, some agnostics, some gay, some straight. I don't see a real connection between prog and any personal philosophy or orientation, other than a firm belief it not making crap music. :)
Non-crap-musicism!  My new philosophy. I'm embracing it here.Hug

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: June 09 2015 at 11:55
From the top of my head, Kate Bush, Serj Tankien, Devin Townsend and a few members of Between the Buried and Me and Dillinger Escape Plan are vegetarian/vegan. Apparently, Kate Bush still hasn't 'grown out of it' like Jon Anderson once did. He must be on a higher plane of maturity than her, with his lyrics about starship troopers and the like 

In all seriousness though, I don't really know whether there would be a correlation between vegetarianism/veganism and any profession or genre of arts (except maybe animal rights professions obviously). A lot of people from all backgrounds are uncomfortable with the thought of eating another being.

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Date Posted: June 09 2015 at 13:54
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

A lot of people from all backgrounds are uncomfortable with the thought of eating another being.
And a lot of people from all backgrounds are not uncomfortable with it. Since the sum total of both those is the entire population of the earth then only one really qualifies as "a lot" and I'll wager that even when counting those who are vegetarian/vegan due to religion or poverty (40% of the Indian population for example) the total number of people who are uncomfortable with the thought of eating "another being" is not a lot at all.

Being: existing, occurring. An emotive word used emotively. All living things "be", that is the nature of existence. Bacteria and other micro-organisms "be", as do fungi and plants. By that definition vegetarians and vegans are uncomfortable with the thought of eating any living entities that have the power of locomotion.

There are many good and positive things about vegetarianism, but morality isn't one of them.

-------------
What?

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: June 09 2015 at 14:15
I'm a mineralian.
I get my nutriments from sucking rocks (including salt). That's why I lost half of my weight since last year. But I can hardly hold a fork anyways...

Date Posted: June 09 2015 at 15:56
Nick Beggs is a vegetarian !!

Date Posted: June 10 2015 at 12:43
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

A lot of people from all backgrounds are uncomfortable with the thought of eating another being.
And a lot of people from all backgrounds are not uncomfortable with it. Since the sum total of both those is the entire population of the earth then only one really qualifies as "a lot" and I'll wager that even when counting those who are vegetarian/vegan due to religion or poverty (40% of the Indian population for example) the total number of people who are uncomfortable with the thought of eating "another being" is not a lot at all.

Being: existing, occurring. An emotive word used emotively. All living things "be", that is the nature of existence. Bacteria and other micro-organisms "be", as do fungi and plants. By that definition vegetarians and vegans are uncomfortable with the thought of eating any living entities that have the power of locomotion.

There are many good and positive things about vegetarianism, but morality isn't one of them.

It depends on whether you consider a lot to mean proportionally or just a large sum of people (I'd consider 0.001% of the world's population to still be a lot of people). None of this was the point I was making though. I know your stance on the morality of vegetarian/veganism, and I'd be happy to argue it, but that wasn't my intention.

Regarding what a being is, I'm sure you knew what I meant Dean, but as requested I'll change the wording to 'sentient being'.

For the record, my point was that the correlation between prog and a boycott of animal products is probably non-existent. And that Jon Anderson saying he 'grew out of' vegetarianism makes him out to be a bit of a t**t.

-------------

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: June 10 2015 at 18:24
Eddy Offord

Date Posted: June 11 2015 at 05:06

It depends on whether you consider a lot to mean proportionally or just a large sum of people (I'd consider 0.001% of the world's population to still be a lot of people). None of this was the point I was making though. I know your stance on the morality of vegetarian/veganism, and I'd be happy to argue it, but that wasn't my intention.

Regarding what a being is, I'm sure you knew what I meant Dean, but as requested I'll change the wording to 'sentient being'.

For the record, my point was that the correlation between prog and a boycott of animal products is probably non-existent. And that Jon Anderson saying he 'grew out of' vegetarianism makes him out to be a bit of a t**t.
Hmm. "A lot [of]" when applied to a countable noun such as people is a comparative measure so does mean it is proportional, it only signifies a large volume when applied to a non-countable nouns such as water. Therefore since 0.001% of the population is a countable value (it's approximately 73,000 people) it can only be considered to be "a lot" when it is proportionally large compared to the whole, for example in Basingstoke [pop: 107,000], a town that has 0.00147% of the world's population then 73,000 people would be "a lot". More than 0.001% of the world's population own a copy of Porcupine Tree's In Absentia, [0.00164%] - that constitutes a lot of albums when compared to other Progressive Rock albums released in 2002 but it is not a lot compared to all the albums released that year or any of the top selling albums. When you state '0.001% of the world's population' you are explicitly comparing it with the whole population so can never be "a lot", similarly 'people of all backgrounds' implies all the world so again the comparison can never be "a lot".

Of course more that 0.001% of the world's population is vegetarian/vegan, exact figures are unknown but in the West (and China) a figure of 5% is often quoted, add to this  the 40% of the population of India that are vegetarian through religion, caste or poverty and a reasonable estimate would be 785 million people. That is a lot compared to the population of Basingstoke, and it would be a lot of lettuce and cucumber sandwiches to make compared to making none at all. But 785 million is not a lot compared to the 6.5 billion who are not vegetarian/vegan. (Next month we are planning a wedding for 120 guests, the exact number of vegetarian/vegans attending is three [2.5%], I would not call that "a lot" - one small cucumber and a baby gem lettuce should suffice.)

When considering sentience we are talking about the capacity for an organism to react to physical damage or touch and once again in the broadest definition of that research has shown that plants have a degree of sentience, we even use the word 'suffer' when referring to a plant that is suffering from drought or disease. Of course we could state that plants don't 'feel' in the same way that animals do, but the same applies to cold-bloodied animals that do not 'feel' in the same way that warm-bloodied animals do. So what then? Do we consider sapience, self-awareness, or consciousness? The one word that can be adequately substituted into your sentence is "meat" since many [the formal way of saying 'a lot of'] vegetarians [i.e. a significant proportion of a defined population] are uncomfortable with the thought of eating meat.

We can all draw a line over which we shall not cross when it comes to what we will and will not eat, and we all use emotional and moralistic criteria to determine where in the sand we will make our mark (there are many animals that omnivores will not eat just as there are many plants that a vegetarian and omnivore will not eat). 

The phrases 'another being', 'another sentient being' and even 'another animal' are emotional phrases because they are being equated to 'people' by use of the word 'another', and by coupling that with the negative 'uncomfortable' you are implying a morality (by the use of 'thought') whether you intended it or not. This sentence, after all, was presented as the 'in all seriousness' conclusion to your post and not as a direct (less serious?) reaction to Anderson's remark. 

Of course I purposely highlighted the 'but again I grew out of that' idiom because it amused me when I read it (and not because either Anderson or I think vegetarianism is an immature life-style choice or because I thought he was being a bit of a twonk) and I didn't quote the preceding http://www.classicbands.com/JonAndersonInterview.html" rel="nofollow - interview reply of Anderson's referred to by the "but again" in that quote, which was: "In the old days it was the band against the world! Live together, travel together, eat together. But, we all grew out of that." Is he talking about maturity here or just about moving on to another stage in the band's development? As we know, vegetarian Kate Bush stopped touring completely in 1979. Wink

/edit: edited for a silly maths error.

-------------
What?

Posted By: NutterAlert
Date Posted: June 15 2015 at 08:56
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

I'm a mineralian.
I get my nutriments from sucking rocks (including salt).

oops, my bad, mis-read this message first time Embarrassed

Posted By: ProgressiveHypocrite
Date Posted: June 15 2015 at 09:33
I think Peter Gabriel quit Genesis originally so he could grow veggies and be a gardener... I guess that didn't work out.

Posted By: Toaster Mantis
Date Posted: June 16 2015 at 04:05
I became a vegetarian a couple years ago after having flirted with the lifestyle back in high school, but it had nothing to do with admiration for Yes. I did once hear the group's output described as "the music equivalent of vegetarian meat substitutes" though, I think it was in a review on RateYourMusic.

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: June 16 2015 at 04:57
No one ever asks the vegetable if they want to be eaten...

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: June 16 2015 at 05:02

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: June 16 2015 at 10:58
Originally posted by ProgressiveHypocrite ProgressiveHypocrite wrote:

I think Peter Gabriel quit Genesis originally so he could grow veggies and be a gardener... I guess that didn't work out.

Was that garden on Solsbury Hill by any chance?

LOL

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: *frinspar*
Date Posted: June 17 2015 at 14:05
Vegetables crunch and make it hard to hear the music.
Celery is the most violent offender against prog.
Meat is soft and delicious and understands how to not get in the way. Wink

Posted By: Snufkins 3rd Ear
Date Posted: June 17 2015 at 16:33
Prog is crammed full of Horticultural references!! Particularly Genesis, so its no suprise that Peter spent sometime dedicating his efforts to the betterment of the vegetable kingdom! ('I  know what i like' is about someone who mows grass for a living.. and i mean the kind that makes up a lawn!). Horticulture is a very noble profession and i wont hear a word spoken againgst it!LOL

Date Posted: June 17 2015 at 16:48
Anyone who would prefer to spend their time in the company of cabbages gets my vote everytime... There were clues you know.. 'and now we move further westward agriculturally speaking to where the smell of freshly mown grass pervades our hairy nostrils...'

-------------

Date Posted: June 17 2015 at 16:53
[QUOTE=Guldbamsen]

I  am not allowed to say what this looks like or i will be asked to leave!!! I hope no-one is offended by my inference but and i am vegetarian and i am not offended by a big lump of meatLOL

-------------

Date Posted: June 17 2015 at 21:25
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

[QUOTE=Guldbamsen]

I  am not allowed to say what this looks like or i will be asked to leave!!! I hope no-one is offended by my inference but and i am vegetarian and i am not offended by a big lump of meatLOL

I saw it too.  Now I'm trying to unsee it.

Posted By: KenFrankenstein
Date Posted: June 19 2015 at 11:20
First off what the freak does food have to do with music? A fail to see any correlation. The only thing that I won't eat is eggplant. I'll eat raw baboon testicles before I would eat eggplant. These vegetarians are so self-important. They think that they are saving the planet because they are eating something without a central nervous system or a brain. But you know what I really like. Corn on the cob smothered in butter and salt but that doesn't mean that I won't wolf down a porterhouse steak. And these vegetarians or ( Excuse moi vegans ) make up some false lame excuse for eating poultry or fish because it doesn't count as meat.

Excuse me now I've got an endangered rhinoceros roast in the oven. Tomorow's menu consists of basted California Condor in a white wine sauce. 

Date Posted: June 22 2015 at 09:49
Originally posted by KenFrankenstein KenFrankenstein wrote:

First off what the freak does food have to do with music? A fail to see any correlation. The only thing that I won't eat is eggplant. I'll eat raw baboon testicles before I would eat eggplant. These vegetarians are so self-important. They think that they are saving the planet because they are eating something without a central nervous system or a brain. But you know what I really like. Corn on the cob smothered in butter and salt but that doesn't mean that I won't wolf down a porterhouse steak. And these vegetarians or ( Excuse moi vegans ) make up some false lame excuse for eating poultry or fish because it doesn't count as meat.

Excuse me now I've got an endangered rhinoceros roast in the oven. Tomorow's menu consists of basted California Condor in a white wine sauce. 

We don't think we are saving anything. We just don't like the thought of consuming animals or animal products. The effectuality of it isn't really something that drives us to boycott these things. It's just like any other political belief, in which it is only really effectual when the majority of people endorse it. But I will digress slightly by saying that if you were to move your belligerent self out of this rut of stubborn and reactionary closed-mindedness that you seem to be in and do a touch of research, you will find that the meat industry (amongst other industries) really is criminal in its damaging of the environment, so our 'self-importance' isn't exactly just pulled out of the ether.

On a final note, anyone that eats poultry or fish is not vegetarian or vegan. Even if they tell you that they are

-------------

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: Yogaprogyoda
Date Posted: June 23 2015 at 13:33
I'm not sure if my vegetarianism enhances my appreciation of prog, or vice versa, but a lot of prog lyricists seem to share the reasoning behind vegetarians' ethical choices. I remember feeling emboldened by Strawbs' 'Sheep' when I first heard it about 15 years ago, because it seems to be coming from an animal rights angle which I already tried to live by. Good question. 

Date Posted: June 23 2015 at 13:58

We don't think we are saving anything. We just don't like the thought of consuming animals or animal products. The effectuality of it isn't really something that drives us to boycott these things. It's just like any other political belief, in which it is only really effectual when the majority of people endorse it. But I will digress slightly by saying that if you were to move your belligerent self out of this rut of stubborn and reactionary closed-mindedness that you seem to be in and do a touch of research, you will find that the meat industry (amongst other industries) really is criminal in its damaging of the environment, so our 'self-importance' isn't exactly just pulled out of the ether.
Everything mankind does in order to feed itself is damaging the environment. How bad this is depends on your interpretation of "criminal", in the informal sense I tend to regard this as any action that is deplorable and not just those that are shocking. It also depends on what environmental change you regard as being damaging. Whether the "meat industry" is more damaging than any other form of intensive farming is also debatable, pointing out the environmental damage caused by livestock farming while failing to point out the environmental damage caused by arable farming is a tad disingenuous, as is pointing out the methane produced by livestock while ignoring the methane produced by rotting vegetation (which is far more harmful than the carbon dioxide the plant absorbed) - it is a sad fact that we waste more vegetables than any other food product. 

The landscape of the country you currently reside in is entirely "man-made" - every hectare of it is as unnatural as it can possibly be. Over the past 15,000 years man has completely deforested the whole island group that makes up the British Isles, and this was solely for the purposes of food production (arable and livestock). 

The landscape you see when driving through the countryside is 100% unnatural and artificial. You may have a romantic notion that this is not a damaged environment but the bucolic idle of a Constable landscape painting is record of man's impact on the land we live on. When we decry the slash-and-burn deforestation of the rainforests of the world we have to remember that is exactly the methodology used to create the countryside we see around us. When we deforested the land its fauna and flora changed dramatically, whole species went extinct in the UK as a result of that, also soil erosion increased, the nutritional composition of the soil changed and even its very structure changed as root systems and leaf compost deposition ceased to naturally till the land. England's green and pleasant land is as environmentally damaged as any dark satanic mill. (note: ELP Prog reference).

Even "wilderness" areas such as Dartmoor and the Yorkshire dales are man-made; the Norfolk Broads are man-made. It is well known that the New Forest is man-made (in order to grow deer to eat), but other more ancient forests in the UK (such as Epping Forest, to make a Prog reference) are not as they were 5000, 2000 or even just 1000 years ago. The composition, density and environment of those forests has changed significantly even since Saxon times as the increasing population became more dependant on wood and what could be harvested from those forests to eat (a chicken is a forest animal transposed from its natural environment).

To live without damaging the environment means a return to a hunter-gather existence (or for the vegetarian ... a gather existence).

The amount of land required to support one person without affecting the environment is 2,600 hectares (typical hunter/gatherer existence), which means that the UK can support a population of roughly 9,400 omnivorous people, and that was roughly the population it had 5000 years ago when we were nation of hunter-gatherers. As we learnt to cultivate the land (environmentally damaging it in the process) the amount of land required to support one person decreased and so the population increased. The agricultural revolution that preceded, and thus enabled, the industrial revolution enabled us to further reduce this land requirement per person and so the population of the country increased dramatically. (and another Prog reference: Jethro Tull and his seed drill and improved [i.e., industrialised] arable farming methods). The population grows in proportion to our ability to feed ourselves, that's how the ecology of a country works.

Today 60% of all available land area in the UK is farmland, this equates to roughly 183,000 square kilometres (18.3 million hectares). The remaining 40% comprises of habitation and land otherwise unfit for farming. It would be reasonable to say that this percentage of farmland cannot get any larger, it can only get smaller. It is also reasonable to say that some of this farm-able area is pasture (another man-made landscape) and that is the only viable use it can be put to (for example poor soil, moorlands, hillsides, highlands etc.) since it is too poor for arable farming. If we wanted to abandon livestock farming completely then the amount of viable land for arable farming is considerably less than 18.3 million hectares. Current estimates put the ratio of potentially arable land at somewhere around 25% of the total UK land mass, which results in a total of 7.63 million hectares that can be arable farmland, or roughly 40% of all farmland. 

The UK cannot produce enough food to feed its 62 million population. 

According to recent DEFRA statistics we currently import 41% of all our food. Or to put it another way, we can only feed 60% of the population with home-produced food. That imported food (whether it be lamb from New Zealand, rice from China, oranges from Israel, or wherever the hell tofu comes from) has food-miles and every tonne of it pollutes the environment regardless of what food-group it belong to. Tofu is as much an environment damaging food as any other. These imports have other effects that we often fail to consider - they even-out the seasonality of home-grown produce and make up the short-fall in crop failures, the variability of crop yields and other natural wastages. 75% of the food we import is fruit and vegetables. It's one of those uncomfortable realities that imported food sustains a vegetarian diet, and that is detrimental to the environment of the country of origin and the country of the end user. 

How does this stack up with the available UK farmland? Let's do some "research" and grab data willy-nilly from the interwebs:

The area of land required to feed one person the "western diet" is estimated at 0.5 hectares/person, or 2 people/hectare. The population density of the UK is 255 people per square kilometre, or 2.55 people per hectare. However, as only 60% of the land is given over to farming the population density per hectare of farmland is actually 3.4 people/hectare, this means that (again) we can only produce enough food to feed 60% of the population. That we are achieving this figure (60% home-grown food vs. 40% imports) means that farming in the UK is currently using the land pretty efficiently. How damaging that level of intensive farming is to the environment is another matter. We cannot achieve these figures without chemical enhancement (fertilisers, pesticides and herbicides) - "organic" farming (either arable or livestock) cannot produce the required yields to sustain this figure of 60%.

Note: This isn't the same as being "self-sufficient" (i.e. subsistence or small-holding farming). That is woefully inefficient by comparison and requires 1 hectare/person, which would mean that the UK could support a total population of 18.3 million or 29% of the current population.

The "western diet" involves meat so we can improve on that people/hectare ratio by reducing the amount of land given over to pasture and/or growing animal feed crops. There is a trade off here, as I said earlier not all farmland is suitable for arable farming and studies suggest (I know - a weasel phrase but the data is out there, look it up - it is also logical common sense) that a reduced meat diet can feed more people per hectare than a zero meat diet. Yes, in a perfect world with good fertile soil you can feed more people per hectare by just growing vegetables but when it is impossible to grow crops on 60% of your farmland then you have reduced the total amount of food you can possibly produce by not grazing animals on that land.

However, if we just consider feeding 62 million people on a vegetarian diet using 7.63 million hectares of arable-able land then that is 8.125 people/hectare ... which is a lot and a huge "ask". The absolute maximum number of people you can feed from one hectare is 14¼ (again, this isn't a made-up number - it's a Food and Agriculture Organisation [FAO] number gleaned from the interweb) that assumes absolutely perfect growing conditions, perfect agriculture, zero land degradation, zero waste, zero crop failure, an unlimited supply of good water and a perfect harvest, (i.e., not in the UK or anywhere else in Europe). So what we would be looking for is a 57% (8.125/14.25) efficiency in arable land usage - given the assumptions I listed for 100% efficiency this is a also tall order. To get even close to those conditions in the UK would inevitably result in the increased use of soil enrichment, pest and disease control, and other intensive farming practices that ultimately damage the environment. The net result of this is that food imports would have to increase to support a 100% vegetarian population, and that means more food-miles, more pollution, more environmental damage. The bottom line is that in the UK we cannot sustain a 100% vegetarian population, a proportion of the the population will have to eat meat in order for the remainder to enjoy their life-style diet.

A 100% vegetarian population would also see a reduction in food variety as low yielding, low nutrition crops would be a no-no, as would most soft fruit and all "exotics", we would also have to look to crops that harvest at different times in the year and crops that can be stored or preserved. The idea of living off a continuous supply of fresh food would be untenable. I also suspect that this revised vegetarian diet would be unappetising and unappealing to most modern vegetarians. It is another of those uncomfortable realities that the modern vegetarian diet is a product of the modern world. How attractive that would be without imported fruit and vegetables remains to be seen.

So yeah, by all means do your research.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: June 23 2015 at 14:37
Jeez that's an awesome post Dean.  Thanks for the interesting info.

-------------

Date Posted: June 24 2015 at 06:13

Everything mankind does in order to feed itself is damaging the environment. How bad this is depends on your interpretation of "criminal", in the informal sense I tend to regard this as any action that is deplorable and not just those that are shocking. It also depends on what environmental change you regard as being damaging. Whether the "meat industry" is more damaging than any other form of intensive farming is also debatable, pointing out the environmental damage caused by livestock farming while failing to point out the environmental damage caused by arable farming is a tad disingenuous, as is pointing out the methane produced by livestock while ignoring the methane produced by rotting vegetation (which is far more harmful than the carbon dioxide the plant absorbed) - it is a sad fact that we waste more vegetables than any other food product. 

I suppose I wouldn't define it technically as criminal as as we know, there are no laws against battery farming. What I do mean however is that battery farming is using up a tonne of fossil fuels (from keeping the animals, to transporting the meat, to transporting the grain) and producing an unnecessary amount of methane and faecal waste (almost a tautological statement, I know ). From the statistics I've read, animal agriculture contributes to 18% of the world's greenhouse gases, and 37% of our methane emissions. I couldn't find a figure for how much of our methane output is from rotten or rotting waste vegetables. Whilst I don't deny that that is a thing, I can't imagine it's any greater than 1% of our total output.

Let's also consider how much of arable farming is actually used to feed livestock. I'll leave this here, and see what you make of it.  http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/1997/08/us-could-feed-800-million-people-grain-livestock-eat" rel="nofollow - http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/1997/08/us-could-feed-800-million-people-grain-livestock-eat

And a general article (don't be put off by it being a Guardian article, it is sourced) http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jul/21/giving-up-beef-reduce-carbon-footprint-more-than-cars

The landscape of the country you currently reside in is entirely "man-made" - every hectare of it is as unnatural as it can possibly be. Over the past 15,000 years man has completely deforested the whole island group that makes up the British Isles, and this was solely for the purposes of food production (arable and livestock). 

The landscape you see when driving through the countryside is 100% unnatural and artificial. You may have a romantic notion that this is not a damaged environment but the bucolic idle of a Constable landscape painting is record of man's impact on the land we live on. When we decry the slash-and-burn deforestation of the rainforests of the world we have to remember that is exactly the methodology used to create the countryside we see around us. When we deforested the land its fauna and flora changed dramatically, whole species went extinct in the UK as a result of that, also soil erosion increased, the nutritional composition of the soil changed and even its very structure changed as root systems and leaf compost deposition ceased to naturally till the land. England's green and pleasant land is as environmentally damaged as any dark satanic mill. (note: ELP Prog reference).

Even "wilderness" areas such as Dartmoor and the Yorkshire dales are man-made; the Norfolk Broads are man-made. It is well known that the New Forest is man-made (in order to grow deer to eat), but other more ancient forests in the UK (such as Epping Forest, to make a Prog reference) are not as they were 5000, 2000 or even just 1000 years ago. The composition, density and environment of those forests has changed significantly even since Saxon times as the increasing population became more dependant on wood and what could be harvested from those forests to eat (a chicken is a forest animal transposed from its natural environment).

To live without damaging the environment means a return to a hunter-gather existence (or for the vegetarian ... a gather existence).

I never once denied any of this. I don't think any of us need reminding of how much of a sh*t humans are with regards to changing our surroundings. There is no doubt though that we could improve the way we change our surroundings without destroying and torturing. Whether we have found genuine ways to improve is probably something still up for debate, however we know the things that are not good for us in the long term and that contribute to global warming (which we are already seeing the effects of).

The amount of land required to support one person without affecting the environment is 2,600 hectares (typical hunter/gatherer existence), which means that the UK can support a population of roughly 9,400 omnivorous people, and that was roughly the population it had 5000 years ago when we were nation of hunter-gatherers. As we learnt to cultivate the land (environmentally damaging it in the process) the amount of land required to support one person decreased and so the population increased. The agricultural revolution that preceded, and thus enabled, the industrial revolution enabled us to further reduce this land requirement per person and so the population of the country increased dramatically. (and another Prog reference: Jethro Tull and his seed drill and improved [i.e., industrialised] arable farming methods). The population grows in proportion to our ability to feed ourselves, that's how the ecology of a country works.

Today 60% of all available land area in the UK is farmland, this equates to roughly 183,000 square kilometres (18.3 million hectares). The remaining 40% comprises of habitation and land otherwise unfit for farming. It would be reasonable to say that this percentage of farmland cannot get any larger, it can only get smaller. It is also reasonable to say that some of this farm-able area is pasture (another man-made landscape) and that is the only viable use it can be put to (for example poor soil, moorlands, hillsides, highlands etc.) since it is too poor for arable farming. If we wanted to abandon livestock farming completely then the amount of viable land for arable farming is considerably less than 18.3 million hectares. Current estimates put the ratio of potentially arable land at somewhere around 25% of the total UK land mass, which results in a total of 7.63 million hectares that can be arable farmland, or roughly 40% of all farmland. 

The UK cannot produce enough food to feed its 62 million population.

And the meat industry is not going to disappear overnight. This is a very similar argument to that of 'if we all stopped eating meat then there would be 2.2 million cows roaming our island'. It is never going to be a sudden change. It's like you said before, a country caters to what it needs. 

This is as much an issue of general overpopulation. If there are so many people living in the UK that we need to resort to the cruelty and pollution levels of battery farms, then that is a big problem. Unless of course you are not even slightly empathetic with another species, in which case there is no real need for this argument to continue.

According to recent DEFRA statistics we currently import 41% of all our food. Or to put it another way, we can only feed 60% of the population with home-produced food. That imported food (whether it be lamb from New Zealand, rice from China, oranges from Israel, or wherever the hell tofu comes from) has food-miles and every tonne of it pollutes the environment regardless of what food-group it belong to. Tofu is as much an environment damaging food as any other. (Tofu also isn't very good for you either. Yet this is a very bold claim that tofu damages the environment as much as beef. Have you got a source?) These imports have other effects that we often fail to consider - they even-out the seasonality of home-grown produce and make up the short-fall in crop failures, the variability of crop yields and other natural wastages. 75% of the food we import is fruit and vegetables. It's one of those uncomfortable realities that imported food sustains a vegetarian diet, and that is detrimental to the environment of the country of origin and the country of the end user. 

I agree with all of the last point. However, the ineffectuality of vegetarianism and veganism would apply here too. Me buying my vegetables is not going to effect how much is imported. Supply and command only really makes sense until you throw marketing into the mix, because hooray for capitalism.

How does this stack up with the available UK farmland? Let's do some "research" and grab data willy-nilly from the interwebs:

The area of land required to feed one person the "western diet" is estimated at 0.5 hectares/person, or 2 people/hectare. The population density of the UK is 255 people per square kilometre, or 2.55 people per hectare. However, as only 60% of the land is given over to farming the population density per hectare of farmland is actually 3.4 people/hectare, this means that (again) we can only produce enough food to feed 60% of the population. That we are achieving this figure (60% home-grown food vs. 40% imports) means that farming in the UK is currently using the land pretty efficiently. How damaging that level of intensive farming is to the environment is another matter. We cannot achieve these figures without chemical enhancement (fertilisers, pesticides and herbicides) - "organic" farming (either arable or livestock) cannot produce the required yields to sustain this figure of 60%.

Note: This isn't the same as being "self-sufficient" (i.e. subsistence or small-holding farming). That is woefully inefficient by comparison and requires 1 hectare/person, which would mean that the UK could support a total population of 18.3 million or 29% of the current population.

The "western diet" involves meat so we can improve on that people/hectare ratio by reducing the amount of land given over to pasture and/or growing animal feed crops. There is a trade off here, as I said earlier not all farmland is suitable for arable farming and studies suggest (I know - a weasel phrase but the data is out there, look it up - it is also logical common sense) that a reduced meat diet can feed more people per hectare than a zero meat diet. Yes, in a perfect world with good fertile soil you can feed more people per hectare by just growing vegetables but when it is impossible to grow crops on 60% of your farmland then you have reduced the total amount of food you can possibly produce by not grazing animals on that land.

However, if we just consider feeding 62 million people on a vegetarian diet using 7.63 million hectares of arable-able land then that is 8.125 people/hectare ... which is a lot and a huge "ask". The absolute maximum number of people you can feed from one hectare is 14¼ (again, this isn't a made-up number - it's a Food and Agriculture Organisation [FAO] number gleaned from the interweb) that assumes absolutely perfect growing conditions, perfect agriculture, zero land degradation, zero waste, zero crop failure, an unlimited supply of good water and a perfect harvest, (i.e., not in the UK or anywhere else in Europe). So what we would be looking for is a 57% (8.125/14.25) efficiency in arable land usage - given the assumptions I listed for 100% efficiency this is a also tall order. To get even close to those conditions in the UK would inevitably result in the increased use of soil enrichment, pest and disease control, and other intensive farming practices that ultimately damage the environment. The net result of this is that food imports would have to increase to support a 100% vegetarian population, and that means more food-miles, more pollution, more environmental damage. The bottom line is that in the UK we cannot sustain a 100% vegetarian population, a proportion of the the population will have to eat meat in order for the remainder to enjoy their life-style diet.

A 100% vegetarian population would also see a reduction in food variety as low yielding, low nutrition crops would be a no-no, as would most soft fruit and all "exotics", we would also have to look to crops that harvest at different times in the year and crops that can be stored or preserved. The idea of living off a continuous supply of fresh food would be untenable. I also suspect that this revised vegetarian diet would be unappetising and unappealing to most modern vegetarians. It is another of those uncomfortable realities that the modern vegetarian diet is a product of the modern world. How attractive that would be without imported fruit and vegetables remains to be seen.

Once again, I'm always impressed by your commitment to acquiring evidence. But as far as I see it, none of this is really an argument against a vegetarian population for two reasons. Firstly, you say that meat consumption enables us to cope with our enormous population. The fault is within that statement. You are basically saying that cruelty and a destructive level of greenhouse gas emissions are necessary to cope with our population levels. The thing that is not right here is the level of population. We need this level of cruelty to cover for our f**k ups. Secondly, vegetarians and vegans are (or at least should be) only said way not out of its effectuality but simply because they feel repulsed and horrified by the thought of eating animal products. It's like you said before. It's an emotional decision based on our thinking that putting an animal through x amount of cruelty is immoral, and so none of the above economic, 'that's just the way it is arguments are going to even remotely sway us.

Forgive me for summing an extensive and detailed amount of writing in such a brief way. My schedule is a touch chaotic at the moment!

So yeah, by all means do your research.

I did

-------------

Arnold Schoenberg

Date Posted: June 25 2015 at 04:30

I suppose I wouldn't define it technically as criminal as as we know, there are no laws against battery farming. What I do mean however is that battery farming is using up a tonne of fossil fuels (from keeping the animals, to transporting the meat, to transporting the grain) and producing an unnecessary amount of methane and faecal waste (almost a tautological statement, I know ). From the statistics I've read, animal agriculture contributes to 18% of the world's greenhouse gases, and 37% of our methane emissions. I couldn't find a figure for how much of our methane output is from rotten or rotting waste vegetables. Whilst I don't deny that that is a thing, I can't imagine it's any greater than 1% of our total output.
Erm... EU wide laws prohibiting battery cages for egg production were introduced at the beginning of 2012. Because were British (godammit) we enforced these laws while many of our European neighbours ignore them. Just look at the shelves of any supermarket and you'll see free-range eggs and the less popular barn eggs but no battery eggs. There are other strictly enforced laws regarding pen-sizes and animal density restrictions for other livestock designed specifically to improve animal husbandry practices. Admittedly there is still a lot of room for improvement but using emotive words such as cruelty and battery farming in a blanket fashion is not painting a true picture. 

Fortunately 82% of the livestock consumed in the UK is home produced so meets (and sometimes even exceeds when we consider organic and free-range production) the current legal requirements and all supermarkets claim some level of ethical food production standards. [Personally I eat free-range meat whenever possible even if it means a small reduction in the amount of meat I buy - but then I can afford it, many cannot]. 

Transporting food is necessary whether it is meat, animal feed or vegetables for human consumption; fossil fuels are used in the preparation of arable land, seed planting, disease and pest control, soil enrichment, harvesting, storage and chilling/freezing. They are also used in the preparation and packaging of all food. Where vegetables are grown under glass fossil fuels are used for heating, lighting, irrigation and ventilation. I don't have figures and stats of either form of farming but if you want to call the amount of fossil fuel used in arable farming a tonne too then be my guest.

The UK Department of Energy and Climate Change http://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/407432/20150203_2013_Final_Emissions_statistics.pdf" rel="nofollow - published figures in 2013 that state that Agriculture (arable and livestock) is 5th behind Energy Supply, Transport, Business and Residential when calculated over the period between 1990 and 2013 and accounts for 9% of all greenhouse gas emissions. Basically 5% is from livestock and 4% from arable - a report published in 2010 from the Food Climate Research Network stated that 57% of agricultural emissions were from livestock farming which supports DoECC's findings (5%/9% = 55%). Now stop me if I'm wrong here but if we switch from mixed farming to 100% arable farming then the increased in arable farming to account for the loss in animal protein would result in an increase in arable emissions for a decrease in livestock emissions, so we cannot simply say that stopping livestock farming will reduce emissions by 4%.

Figures are slightly different from the US of A:
Pie chart that shows different sectors. 26 percent is from energy supply; 13 percent is from transport; 8 percent is from residential and commercial buildings; 19 percent is from industry; 14 percent is from agriculture; 17 percent is from forestry; and 3 percent is from waste and wastewater.
They include something that the UK does not have and that's emissions from Forestry - while admitting that CO2 sequestration by the trees themselves is not accounted for (and they state it is hard to measure and estimate), its stated source of greenhouse gas emissions is from deforestation and soil decay (more of this later). But here Agriculture, (arable and livestock) is 4th behind Energy Supply, Industry and Forestry and just nips ahead of transport. The USA has a lower population density than the UK and they export more food products, which explains why residential and transport are lower than agriculture. But even then, since only a proportion of that 14% is for livestock farming reaching a global figure of 18% all by itself looks mighty optimistic.

Erm... rather than guessing 1% try imagining a figure of 18% for methane output from rotting vegetable waste since landfill methane output is due to rotting food waste, most of which is vegetable waste; meat and dairy accounts for around 14% of all food waste in the UK, the remainder (86%) is derived from vegetable-based produce such as bread (source: DEFRA report on waste management).

I don't have a pretty pie chart for the UK but here's one from the US of A:
Pie chart of U.S. methane emissions by source. 29 percent is from natural gas and petroleum systems, 26 percent is from enteric fermentation, 18 percent is from landfills, 10 percent is from coal mining, 10 percent is from manure management, and 8 percent is from other sources.
(source:  http://epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissions/usinventoryreport.html" rel="nofollow - Inventory of U.S. Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Sinks: 1990-2013 .)

There is obviously a conflict between your figure of 37% and the one I found of 10% because one set simply reports the gas output from manure while the other (probably) includes a guestimation of the amount of methane continuously being farted out by every cow. Whether this bovine fart production equates to the missing 27% of all methane production or not I cannot say, and neither can anyone else -[correction: Silly me - just seen it: enteric fermentation=26% doh!] however, no one actually measures all of this methane output [from enteric fermentation] (I've lived in the country for years and have never seen anyone walking behind a cow with a gas flow meter, I've seen literally thousands of cows and not one of them was hooked up to a gasometer) - it's calculated guesswork extrapolated from smaller surveys and it's reported by people with a vested interest in how those results are portrayed.

Let's also consider how much of arable farming is actually used to feed livestock. I'll leave this here, and see what you make of it.  http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/1997/08/us-could-feed-800-million-people-grain-livestock-eat" rel="nofollow - http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/1997/08/us-could-feed-800-million-people-grain-livestock-eat
A bit of a specious argument IMO, replacing meat with grain is not the answer. We cannot (and in fact should not) live on grains, we are not granivores and do not have the anatomy to breakdown and digest grass seed, nor can we process starch adequately, our digestive tract is too long for starchy foods, they ferment and create gas. If you want to reduce greenhouse gas production stop eating grains. Also, to eat grains we have to process them first and that takes resources.
Originally posted by The Pessimist</span><span style=line-height: 16.5454540252686px;> The Pessimist wrote:

And a general article (don't be put off by it being a Guardian article, it is sourced) http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jul/21/giving-up-beef-reduce-carbon-footprint-more-than-cars
Not so sure about that one. I read it twice and wasn't convinced. Now here's the thing about greenhouse gasses and agriculture. Greenhouse gasses come in 6 flavours (listed in order of contribution to the greenhouse effect):
  • Water vapour (H2O)
  • Carbon dioxide (CO2)
  • Methane (CH4)
  • Nitrous oxide (N2O)
  • Ozone (O3)
  • Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) 
We all know about CO2, that's the one released by burning fossil fuels and makes up 82% of all greenhouse gas emissions in the UK, 20% of which are attributed to transport, 11% specifically to cars and only 1.5% to agriculture. CO2 hangs around in the atmosphere for 100 years or more.

Methane is created by the anaerobic breakdown of plant matter makes up 10% of emissions in the UK of which 5% is due to agriculture and sure enough this agricultural contribution would disappear over night if we stopped eating meat.... the landfill figure could increase of course as the food waste that is currently fed to animals would now have to be disposed of by other methods. Methane hangs around in the atmosphere for less than 10 years as it is a volatile gas.

Nitrous oxide (N2O), otherwise known as laughing gas, is produced by soil bacteria in cultivated soil so while N2O accounts for 4% of all greenhouse gas emissions in the UK, all of which is attributed to agriculture... and since it is wholly produced by soil bacteria it can only be caused by arable farming. Of course, growing crops for livestock feed and using animal manure for fertilizer contributes to that figure but stopping meat production would not reduce it as the land would now be used to grow human feed - it would even increase as we are forced to cultivate more land to grow more crops.

So - 11% greenhouse gas emissions by cars and 5% by cattle. Even a grauniad reader can see which of those two numbers is the larger.
Originally posted by The Pessimist</span><span style=line-height: 16.5454540252686px;> The Pessimist wrote:

I never once denied any of this. I don't think any of us need reminding of how much of a sh*t humans are with regards to changing our surroundings. There is no doubt though that we could improve the way we change our surroundings without destroying and torturing. Whether we have found genuine ways to improve is probably something still up for debate, however we know the things that are not good for us in the long term and that contribute to global warming (which we are already seeing the effects of).
Yes we do, but glossing over the effects of arable farming and vegetable imports does not help. I'm more interested in the whole picture.

And the meat industry is not going to disappear overnight. This is a very similar argument to that of 'if we all stopped eating meat then there would be 2.2 million cows roaming our island'. It is never going to be a sudden change. It's like you said before, a country caters to what it needs. 
True, it will not be a sudden change (no one should ever claim that it would be) the numbers of livestock animals would gradually decrease as demand decreases and ultimately most (if not all) would go extinct as we have bred all of them to be dependant upon man to survive. A cow cannot live in the wild, some breeds of pig can (I'm not sure about sheep, but I suspect that they'll either survive in small numbers or become a pest to arable farming like rabbits currently are).

What cannot change even in the long term by population reduction is the fact that 60% of UK farmland is unfit for growing crops so the increase in vegetable production means using land in other countries to grow our food. Should the whole of the world become vegetarian then this becomes a major problem.

This is as much an issue of general overpopulation. If there are so many people living in the UK that we need to resort to the cruelty and pollution levels of battery farms, then that is a big problem. Unless of course you are not even slightly empathetic with another species, in which case there is no real need for this argument to continue.
You can't guilt-trip me, I've lived most of my life in a rural environment, my paternal grandparents worked the land and my father-in-law was a pig farmer. To imply that meat-eaters are not empathetic or that arguing the broader, balanced view infers a lack of empathy is unfair. Not all farms are battery farms, not all livestock is subjected to cruelty and bad husbandry. All the livestock farmers I have met have cared more for their animals than they do for the rest of the human race. They know that a healthy, unstressed animal is beneficial to the animal and the farmer, livestock farmers are not devoid of empathy or uncaring for the animals. The empathy you cite as being the reason for being a vegetarian is the same empathetic trait that enables mankind to domesticate and care for animals. There are laws and regulations in the UK governing the transportation and slaughtering of animals designed to minimise suffering. I deplore intensive farming of all varieties including intensive arable farming with its over-use of fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides, when I eat a tomato I want it to taste of tomato not water. 

(Tofu also isn't very good for you either. Yet this is a very bold claim that tofu damages the environment as much as beef. Have you got a source?) 
Uh-uh, I didn't say tofu damages the environment as much as beef, I was specifically referring to the environmental cost of importing food. We can home-produce most of the beef we eat, soya products such as tofu are imported and the major growers of soya are Brazil, USA and Argentina so the food-miles associated with these products is significant. (Also those crops account for much of the deforestation in those countries). 

While it would seem reasonable to assume that the transportation costs for a tonne of tofu is the same as a tonne of beef this isn't strictly correct. Food is transported by volume - more containers are needed to transport a tonne of tofu than are needed to transport a tonne of beef and you can only get so many containers into a cargo hold. Of course the lighter cargo will use less fuel to travel the same distance, but you will need more ships and that increases the total amount of fuel used. The countries that produce soya are 10,000km away from the UK. When the aggregate fuel usage is taken into account it costs more per kilometre to transport a tonne of tofu (and soyabean and other vegetables) than it does to transport a tonne of meat.

Also, tofu is a processed food that consumes resources (electricity, heat and water) to extract the soya milk from the soya bean and then use a coagulant to curdle the soya milk into tofu (further processing often follows to make a saleable product). A common coagulant is calcium sulfate (gypsum) - this is a naturally occurring mineral that is produced by acidic water passing through limestone (a fossil rock of sea shells) - the chemical process involved here is the action of sulphuric acid on calcium carbonate to produce calcium sulfate and carbon dioxide, which is the chemical process that is used to produce food-grade calcium sulfate in a processing plant and the waste product from that (CO2) is a greenhouse gas.

Now, to replace meat protein with a plant equivalent such as tofu means growing soya bean (or chickpea or lentils). These are low-yielding crops so more land is required to grow them than many other crops. Approximately 135,000 hectares of arable farm land is used to grow livestock feed concentrates (remembering that we have 7.63 million hectares of arable land in the UK) and we would need to replace that with 1,352,000 hectares of arable land to grow substitute crops, (i.e., ten times more farmland) which is arable land that we don't have but that's okay because they don't grow too well in the UK climate anyway which is why we have to import them. 

Basically it means using someone else's land to grow our food, yet more deforestation and to hell with the food-miles - when claims are made that replacing meat with plant derived substitutes reduces our diet-based carbon footprint by a fifth somehow manages to ignore the environmental effect that reduction would actually cost. You could argue that most of the deforestation of South America is for animal feed production so stopping meat production and using that land to grow soya to feed humans would require less total land and thus deforestation would decline isn't the whole picture. 

At present the meat we eat in the UK does not use imported soyabean (in the UK livestock feed is predominately grain not pulse and much of that is home grown not imported) and we eat very little meat imported from Brazil and Argentina so we do not directly contribute to deforestation, this is also true for the rest of Europe and much of the Northern hemisphere. Currently those two South American countries have roughly 50 million head of cattle each for a combined human population of 219 million - estimates suggest that we can feed twice as many humans per tonne of soya than cattle so for those two countries alone switching from feeding cattle to feeding humans would result in zero change in soya production. Now add in the land needed to feed the 742 million people in Europe who cannot grow soya in their own country and things don't look quite so rosy.

I agree with all of the last point. However, the ineffectuality of vegetarianism and veganism would apply here too. Me buying my vegetables is not going to effect how much is imported. Supply and command only really makes sense until you throw marketing into the mix, because hooray for capitalism.
Not sure I follow you here. The UK consumer can chose the country of origin of every food product they buy because every food product on sale is clearly labelled with the country of origin. Consumers cannot dictate where that food comes from, but they can chose not to buy imported food. Even when you think that you don't have a choice because a supermarket only sells potatoes grown in Belgium and The Netherlands the choice is to not buy potatoes. If a significant proportion of the population did this then it would not be ineffectual. For example roughly 5% of the population is vegetatrian, that seems like an ineffectual minority and when the remaining 95% of the population is also buying vegetables then it probably is, however if we look at the organic food market (which is less than 5% of the total food market) that was created partly by (as you say - marketing) and partly by the consumer making ethical purchases. If all vegetarians unilaterally chose not to buy imported vegetables then the supermarkets would notice that change in consumer purchasing and react accordingly. But as I said, a purely non-imported vegetarian diet probably won't be that appealing.

Once again, I'm always impressed by your commitment to acquiring evidence. But as far as I see it, none of this is really an argument against a vegetarian population for two reasons.
It isn't an argument against vegetarian population, it is a statement of reality based on the current situation vis a vis population and land use. I made no conclusions then or now.

Firstly, you say that meat consumption enables us to cope with our enormous population. 
No I didn't.

The fault is within that statement. 
No, it's with your reading of what I wrote since I didn't make that statement.

You are basically saying that cruelty and a destructive level of greenhouse gas emissions are necessary to cope with our population levels. 
No I'm not.

The thing that is not right here is the level of population. 
That's the only correct thing you've said thus far. Right conclusion, wrong reasoning.

We need this level of cruelty to cover for our f**k ups. 
Nope. Ignoring the observation that I believe that you are overstating the cruelty involved in livestock farming (which makes you sound more like a uninformed townie than an informed veggie), the UK population is a consequence of our capacity to feed ourselves, not the other way around. When there isn't enough food the population decreases... it's called famine. World famine is not caused by the shortage of meat, it's a result of the shortage of all food, particularly vegetable staples such as grain and root vegetables. 

Secondly, vegetarians and vegans are (or at least should be) only said way not out of its effectuality but simply because they feel repulsed and horrified by the thought of eating animal products. 
(I guess you typed that in a rush but I think I get the gist of what you are saying).

It's like you said before. It's an emotional decision based on our thinking that putting an animal through x amount of cruelty is immoral, and so none of the above economic, 'that's just the way it is arguments are going to even remotely sway us.

Emotional reasoning is fine by me, and I'm in no way trying to sway anyone's opinion, I have no problem with people being vegetarian nor their personal justifications for adopting that lifestyle diet; it's just not a justification that can be universally applied so I do have an issue with using that argument to sway others into following the same path, especially when I believe that a narrow and biased view is being presented. 

I don't eat Kit-Kats and other Nestlé products (and haven't for over 25 years) purely for emotional reasons because the business practices of that company in developing countries causes hardship and suffering to the human population of those countries. However, I don't guilt-trip anyone who snacks on Kit-Kat or drinks Gold Blend coffee. 

/edit: man, that post was a beatch to quote and format correctly LOL.

-------------
What?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk