Print Page | Close Window

New Iron Maiden

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=102932
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 02:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Iron Maiden
Posted By: infocat
Subject: New Iron Maiden
Date Posted: June 18 2015 at 22:07
The Book Of Souls

New double disc studio album to be released 4 September 2015.
Total time 92:11.

Includes their longest song to date, "The Empire Of The Clouds", at 18:01 long.

Will this be the album that brings them out of the Prog Related ghetto (I kid) in to the Progressive Metal genre?  Well, I wouldn't bet on it, but stranger things have happened.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Replies:
Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: June 19 2015 at 05:18
This is really great news, especially after Bruce Dickinson's health issues! Hope to see them again on stage (it would be the fifth time for me) in the future. As to getting them moved to Progressive Metal, I wouldn't hold my breath, but you never know...

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: June 19 2015 at 05:25
92 minutes?! sh*t!! Even some of their last few albums, which have run about 70 minutes have felt overlong and padded-out!

Still, very looking forward to this!

(dammit, where's that head-banging emoticon gone that we used to have?!)

Date Posted: June 19 2015 at 05:26
Oh, and here's the cover artwork now as well!

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: June 19 2015 at 05:32
It's a 92 minute album but at least it's divided in 2 discs with reasonable lenght, I think it's better than 70 minutes. I don't like the cover much though, it lacks a cool background Tongue

Date Posted: June 19 2015 at 05:47
But that's not really any different, Sam - it's all in the mind! Still the same amount of material

Then again, who knows...perhaps the second disc will be an ambient/acoustic/jazz odyssey tour-de-force!

I thought the same about the cover, but the more I look at it, the better it looks. I'll likely only be getting a CD version of this, but that image will look pretty awesome blown up on a vinyl-sized cover.

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: June 19 2015 at 05:56
If I consider both discs as two albums, which I will probably do, I think it's different Tongue

That second disc would be awesome LOL It reminds me of this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJkYGNiBkso" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJkYGNiBkso  LOL

It's probably hauting on vinyl Tongue I don't have a single Metal vinyl in my collection Ermm

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: June 19 2015 at 11:01
3-LP monster set.....Brilliant!!! Been looking forward to a new album by one of my all time fav bands. It's been 4-5 yrs since I have seen them live...I am due for an Eddie fix.

Please do not move them to prog-metal.....leave them alone!!! I also am not fond of the artwork, although I bet the vinyl sleeves and gatefold will be stunning!

Up the Irons!!!!!!

(PA, bring back the headbanging emoticon!!)

\m/><\m/

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: June 19 2015 at 11:17
I'm definitely looking forward to this new album.  One of my all-time favorite bands as well.

-------------

Posted By: Windhawk
Date Posted: June 19 2015 at 11:45
Iron Maiden would never be moved into a pure prog category on this site, not even if they made a double album of songs like the one below. They just lack the proper prog credentials ;-)

-------------
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: June 19 2015 at 12:07
Up the Irons!

-------------

Posted By: twalsh
Date Posted: June 19 2015 at 13:20
Hmmm..  I'm a pretty big Maiden fan, but don't like that cover.  Too metal.

-------------
More heavy prog, please!

Posted By: GKR
Date Posted: June 19 2015 at 14:49
I stop hearing Heavy Metal long time ago, but I do respect bands that can re-invent themselves... and Iron Maiden sure can do it.

Maybe I'll check this album out.

-------------
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Posted By: Mr. Maestro
Date Posted: June 19 2015 at 15:02
Now there's some exciting news! I was honestly beginning to wonder if Maiden were ever going to record again. This is a nice surprise.

-------------
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: June 19 2015 at 19:57
Flippin' 'ell !! Awesome news. An 18 minute epic ?? Hopefully this outdoes The X Factor, at least musically......(I'm probably that album's biggest fan......)

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: June 20 2015 at 03:13
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I'm probably that album's biggest fan......
Sorry but I'm the X Factor's biggest fan LOL

Date Posted: June 20 2015 at 05:48
^ Oooh, dems fightin' words..........

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: June 20 2015 at 09:32
I noticed this the other day and I will be getting this for sure. They seem to be going in a prog direction these days with The Final Frontier and now this one. I think at least a couple of the guys are into Prog.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: June 20 2015 at 09:35
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I noticed this the other day and I will be getting this for sure. They seem to be going in a prog direction these days with The Final Frontier and now this one. I think at least a couple of the guys are into Prog.

Definitely. Both Steve Harris and Bruce Dickinson are big prog fans, and I am sure the others are as well.

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: June 20 2015 at 10:51
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

I stop hearing Heavy Metal long time ago, but I do respect bands that can re-invent themselves... and Iron Maiden sure can do it.

Iron Maiden stepped forward the simplistic heavy metal a long time ago actually, Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son were quite a prog-metal albums.

Their present-time progressiveness is mostly about the form, I guess, and the actual content is not as prog as their late-80's albums.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: thebeastmustdie
Date Posted: June 20 2015 at 13:04
I'm borderline obsessed with 82-88 era Maiden, especially Murray and Smith's guitar work on those albums, but I'd be lying if I said I've really enjoyed anything they've done since No Prayer For The Dying. I only managed to listen to Final Frontier once all the   way through and that was a very tough listen. will still check this out though

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: June 20 2015 at 22:51
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Then again, who knows...perhaps the second disc will be an ambient/acoustic/jazz odyssey tour-de-force!

I'd probably die of shock if ALL those genres were to be found in the space of a single Iron Maiden album! LOL  Will give it a listen with an open mind but I can't say I am too excited.  Will be surprised if it is not more of the same because more of the same is what Maidenheads desire.  Then again, it's been so long since I heard a new, straight up heavy metal album that this might just do the trick.  I got to see them on the AMOLAD tour; their energy translates better live.  The perfect stadium rock band.

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: June 21 2015 at 00:42

Flippin' 'ell !! Awesome news. An 18 minute epic ?? Hopefully this outdoes The X Factor, at least musically......(I'm probably that album's biggest fan......)

Er no.

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Date Posted: June 21 2015 at 00:44

92 minutes?! sh*t!! Even some of their last few albums, which have run about 70 minutes have felt overlong and padded-out!

Still, very looking forward to this!

(dammit, where's that head-banging emoticon gone that we used to have?!)

I miss that one as well. I no longer know how to express myself on this site anymore.

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2015 at 00:47
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Er no X2.   

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2015 at 00:50
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I'd probably die of shock if ALL those genres were to be found in the space of a single Iron Maiden album! LOL  Will give it a listen with an open mind but I can't say I am too excited.  Will be surprised if it is not more of the same because more of the same is what Maidenheads desire.  Then again, it's been so long since I heard a new, straight up heavy metal album that this might just do the trick.  I got to see them on the AMOLAD tour; their energy translates better live.  The perfect stadium rock band.

Yeah. Liquid tension dream theater maiden.

f**k that would suck.

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2015 at 00:57
Ok. I'm as excited about this album as any positive maiden fan can be.
I also hate to be a sh*t here, but I think the cover art is awesome.
They really got the right EDDIE this time. It's marathon running EDDIE.
Gaunt and freaky looking. Better than the final frontier Ed Hunter.

92 minutes? Does scare me a little, but man I am looking forward to hearing that 18min epic.
I am imaging dance of death combined with where the wild wind blows. Hey? I think that could work!
Anyhow, I'm an optimist. I think the album will kill cancer.

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2015 at 02:21
I loved the artwork too.  It's very apt for an Iron Maiden album.  Eddie, nothing more need be said.

Date Posted: June 21 2015 at 02:41
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

Iron Maiden stepped forward the simplistic heavy metal a long time ago actually, Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son were quite a prog-metal albums.

Their present-time progressiveness is mostly about the form, I guess, and the actual content is not as prog as their late-80's albums.

That's true, Powerslave through to SSOASS is their most interesting phase from a prog point of view.  Also the debut.

Date Posted: June 21 2015 at 03:16
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Er no X2.   
Why........?? (said in deadpan, robotic fashion)

Date Posted: June 21 2015 at 12:56

Er no X2.   
Why........?? (said in deadpan, robotic fashion)

Sorry. Getting into the old English sayings a little too much, but man do I ever love that album.
The guitar is pretty emotional and more simplified and it really works with Balay's voice.
The album isn't a masterpiece, but its very good. Lots of great choruses.
I think I love it the most!!! Lol.

Favourite track Tom and Sagi??
For me right now it might be The unbeliever

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2015 at 15:03
^ Tough pick - The Sign Of The Cross, I suppose, but any of the longer tracks are just amazing......
......it's 20 years old this year, has a very 'natural' sound, and is still quite fresh today. Hard to believe I scored the vinyl for 30 bucks back in '99.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: June 21 2015 at 22:36
Yeah it is a tough pick and like Tom I suppose it's The Sign Of The Cross for me too, but other great tracks are Blood on the World's Hands, Man on the Edge, Fortunes Of War and The Unbeliever.
But I get it why the fans don't like it, it's a different beast among their other albums.

Date Posted: June 22 2015 at 01:22
^ Virtual XI was quite a step down - quite a straight-ahead Hard-Rock album, but has its moments.....

Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 14:50
^^ agreed on all counts Tom and Sagi.

Virtual X1 is lowest of the low for iron maiden in general and its really not that bad of an album.
I like the educated fool on that one. It's solid.
Anyhow. I am very excited for the next maiden. It will definitely be better than virtual 11. Lol

-------------

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 15:24
Originally posted by thebeastmustdie thebeastmustdie wrote:

I'm borderline obsessed with 82-88 era Maiden, especially Murray and Smith's guitar work on those albums, but I'd be lying if I said I've really enjoyed anything they've done since No Prayer For The Dying. I only managed to listen to Final Frontier once all the   way through and that was a very tough listen. will still check this out though

Only album I could say I thoroughly enjoy after 7th Son is Brave New World, a real come back, all the rest have their moments; A Matter of Life and Death also a tad higher among the post-2000 releases.

Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 18:34

Sounds like Iron Maiden.
Smile

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 20:10

^^ agreed on all counts Tom and Sagi.

Virtual X1 is lowest of the low for iron maiden in general and its really not that bad of an album.
I like the educated fool on that one. It's solid.
Anyhow. I am very excited for the next maiden. It will definitely be better than virtual 11. Lol
Yeah, Educated Fool is good, Futureal is a killer opener, The Clansman isn't too bad either. When Two Worlds Collide is very good, Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger is good, Como Estas Amigos is O.K. The rest is a bit 'take it or leave it' - average (or below - Angel And The Gambler - 9 minutes of Maiden-style R&R, novel for the first few minutes, then gets tired pretty fast). In a full Maiden mood, I give it 3 stars - my least fave Maiden is No Prayer.......don't even have that on vinyl - just cassette.

Date Posted: June 28 2015 at 01:36
I got Virtual XI only recently.  Nothing special, but its alright.  Still haven't come upon X Factor.  Only Maiden studio album I don't have.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: June 28 2015 at 01:55
^ Dude, get it - QUICKLY.........
I've thought highly of Maiden since Powerslave (I was barely 13 when my 'Satanist' friend, of the same age, mind) he played me the cassette of it. Then he wanted Piece Of Mind taped from LP (he didn't have a working TT to play his record) , so then To Tame A Land became my fascination.
VirtualXI is good, just a frad uninspired. Sounds like a great band running on vapours. Weak for their standards, but still relatively good. I can forgive them after, what seems to me, as the musically demanding tunes of The X Factor. Probably drained them completely. ( A notable comparison can be made to Chicago, their VII album was technically demanding, utilised every shred of their chops, then their following VIII, was kinda straight-forward).

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: June 28 2015 at 02:43
Gr8! news
Can't wait to get my hands on this one

Date Posted: June 28 2015 at 02:56
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Sounds like Iron Maiden.
Smile

Not quite Wink

Date Posted: June 28 2015 at 14:06
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Sounds like Iron Maiden.
Smile

Not quite Wink

For real?  Did someone post this song for the "Book of Souls" video???  For shame! 

Still sounds like Maiden. Embarrassed

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: June 28 2015 at 15:12
It does!

I was caught off-guard too, it was not until I read some of the comments!!

Date Posted: July 25 2015 at 12:53
The book of souls packaging looks fantastic. Double cd in a nice hard cover book with what looks
Like a real page turner...lots of liner notes and pictures perhaps? Well, can't wait.

2015 is an awesome year for music.

-------------

Posted By: Ancient_Mariner
Date Posted: July 29 2015 at 14:18
I don't think Maiden's last few have been very progressive.  Just long songs with too much repetition and too many similarities.  Slow intros and outros.  I wouldn't mind them doing some more adventurous stuff in terms of songwriting.  How would a live band like Maiden that has huge sing along choruses do a song that didn't do the verse/chorus structure?  If their epics were more like Rime of the Ancient Mariner I'd be thrilled.  I think they have the chops to do something special still but I don't know.  I love Iron Maiden and metal but I'm not that hopefully.  Will still go see them when they come close, best live band I've seen.

I don't care for the cover myself.  Compared to classic Maiden artwork its quite bleh.

Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 05:00
This seems to be official

Date Posted: August 25 2015 at 14:40
Much more official now.......they have a new plane for the tour!!

http://www.ironmaiden.com/iron-maiden-and-the-book-of-souls-go-jumbo-on-massive-2016-world-tour.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.ironmaiden.com/iron-maiden-and-the-book-of-souls-go-jumbo-on-massive-2016-world-tour.html

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 25 2015 at 15:56
Some one convince me that I need some Iron Maiden and which one should I get...?

btw...I noticed that none of their cover art  ever showed an actual iron maiden with that silly skull creature in it.
Wink

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: August 25 2015 at 18:21
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Some one convince me that I need some Iron Maiden and which one should I get...?

btw...I noticed that none of their cover art  ever showed an actual iron maiden with that silly skull creature in it.
Wink

I'd start with Powerslave, which is simply one of the greatest albums ever made imo. From fast songs like 'Aces High' to epic behemoths like 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner', it's got it all. Also, 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son' is another good album to start with. However, you can't got wrong with much Maiden. Big smile

Date Posted: August 25 2015 at 21:59

Wink

Powerslave, A Matter Of Life and Death, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, Piece Of Mind.........And by all means go see them LIVE!! Behind Rush, they put on one of the best concert experiences you will ever see. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 25 2015 at 22:10
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Wink

Powerslave, A Matter Of Life and Death, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, Piece Of Mind.........And by all means go see them LIVE!! Behind Rush, they put on one of the best concert experiences you will ever see. 

Love A Matter of Life and Death, probably my favorite after Powerslave Clap

Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 12:52
Ok....Powerslave and or Seventh Son........
but why no drawing of an actual iron maiden on any of their covers?
Wink

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: September 02 2015 at 19:00

Ok....Powerslave and or Seventh Son........
but why no drawing of an actual iron maiden on any of their covers?
Wink

Waaaaait!!

Do not over look "Somewhere In Time" and to get a solid flavoring of their tweaked sound for the 21st century give 'Brave New World' a listen. It's a progressive beast! Very melodic too.

Anyway. The book of souls is out tomorrow (sept 4th) !!!

-------------

Date Posted: September 03 2015 at 09:16
I guess Maiden is just not my cup of tea. I listened to Powerslave and Seventh Son and I kept thinking of Spinal Tap.
The music is just too stereotypical for me....they sound like a band pretending to be a prog metal band....with all the usual clichés.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: September 05 2015 at 02:28
God. The new album is great!! .

This band, has never let me down.

-------------

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: September 10 2015 at 02:01

I guess Maiden is just not my cup of tea. I listened to Powerslave and Seventh Son and I kept thinking of Spinal Tap.
The music is just too stereotypical for me....they sound like a band pretending to be a prog metal band....with all the usual clichés.

Dunno what prog metal bands they were trying to copy in 1984. Confused

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Date Posted: September 10 2015 at 08:31
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

'Rush'...of course.....but it's not 1984 anymore...is it?

Wink

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: September 10 2015 at 21:59

Wink

Maybe it's not your style, but I recommend these songs:

-Starblind
-When the Wild Wind Blows
-Dream of Mirrors
-Out of the Silent Planet
-The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
-The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
-For the Greater Good of God
-Paschendale
-Alexander the Great
-The Phantom of the Opera
-22 Acacia Avenue
-Hallowed be Thy Name
-To Tame a Land
-THE EMPIRE OF THE CLOUDS

Those are some of their most progish songs (some not that much but are great). I don't mention ROTAM or Infinite Dreams because they're in the albums you already listened to. But Empire of the Clouds is a masterpiece that every prog fan should listen to in my opinion.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 00:09
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Wink

Maybe it's not your style, but I recommend these songs:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">-Starblind</span>
-When the Wild Wind Blows
-Dream of Mirrors
-Out of the Silent Planet
-The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
-The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
-For the Greater Good of God
-Paschendale
-Alexander the Great
-The Phantom of the Opera
-22 Acacia Avenue
-Hallowed be Thy Name
-To Tame a Land
-THE EMPIRE OF THE CLOUDS

Those are some of their most progish songs (some not that much but are great). I don't mention ROTAM or Infinite Dreams because they're in the albums you already listened to. But Empire of the Clouds is a masterpiece that every prog fan should listen to in my opinion.

Where the hell is NOMAD??

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 13:22

Wink

Not sure what part the wink is for, but Iron Maiden trying to be like Rush is a far fetched idea and comparison. Iron Maiden were probably the leaders of the NWOBHM movement in the early 80's. My first Maiden live show was 1982 and not a hint of Rush could be heard, even my last Maiden show in 2011 (I think), no Rush evident.

I don't label them prog metal or prog related at all. We seem to think that giving any band prog-(something) gives them meaning and life and purpose, validates them as some better band than just a rock or heavy metal band.

Iron Maiden are a heavy metal band, guitar driven riffs, hard drumming and vocals, very little to no synths. Sure they have written a couple longer songs that have a story to them, but so have other bands. Book of Souls has what some call proggy songs, but I rather think they are just expanding their song writing and playing, why write a 3 minute song when you can expand it to 6 minutes or 18 minutes, that does not equate to prog or prog related, IMO.

They probably grew up listening to Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, GG, Hawkwind, stuff like that as well as AC/DC, Zeppelin, Scorpions, The Who and the Beatles Dead.....but that latter group does not make them prog or prog-related.

Progressive rock is stereotypical, as is jazz, funk, pop and heavy metal...To me they sound like Iron Maiden which is outstanding!! 

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2015 at 16:29
^ I get that. I spun the 18 min Empire Of The Clouds, and I don't really consider it Prog. It's an elaborated, symphonic-metal piece, Maiden-style. The first 6 or so minutes doesn't really change, and when the instrumental section kicks in, it almost sounds like a medley of Maiden rhythms. And I probably wouldn't call them 'heavy' anymore, either. And another thing I may add, I find that since Brave New World, I consider each album to be roughly 4 stars each, The Book Of Souls niether better or worse. Quality albums, solid, mix of shorter hard-rockers and longer, story-telling epics with nothing I'd call 'weak'. Love 'em all the way though.

Date Posted: October 04 2015 at 21:59
Still loving THE BOOK OF SOULS.
So many tracks have grown on me considerably. I'm really loving the title track and if eternity should fail. Good strong guitar interplay and fantastic lyrics.

I think Maiden still got it by a long shot!!
There is nothing weak about the album. I feel it's their best since their turn of the century Prog metal Album, A brave new World.

I'm so glad they didn't blow it. I guess they are like Black Sabbath...never too old to rock!!
:)

-------------

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: October 04 2015 at 22:24

^ I get that. I spun the 18 min Empire Of The Clouds, and I don't really consider it Prog. It's an elaborated, symphonic-metal piece, Maiden-style. The first 6 or so minutes doesn't really change, and when the instrumental section kicks in, it almost sounds like a medley of Maiden rhythms. And I probably wouldn't call them 'heavy' anymore, either. And another thing I may add, I find that since Brave New World, I consider each album to be roughly 4 stars each, The Book Of Souls niether better or worse. Quality albums, solid, mix of shorter hard-rockers and longer, story-telling epics with nothing I'd call 'weak'. Love 'em all the way though.
What he said.

Date Posted: October 06 2015 at 14:49
Listened to Virtual XI last night. I still find it quite good. Sure it has its flaws (esp. repetitive choruses) but still well done. It's punchy, energetic, lots of keyboards, somewhat different to their 'usual' approach. O.K., The Angel And The Gambler isn't their best track, but it's 'rocking' as all-hell. And The Clansman is as good as any of their epics. Blaze pulls it off admirably. Still, The X Factor is much more exciting, Powerlave is up there, and the new Book Of Souls is creeping up there as well. Up the Irons !!

Date Posted: October 08 2015 at 19:35

Listened to Virtual XI last night. I still find it quite good. Sure it has its flaws (esp. repetitive choruses) but still well done. It's punchy, energetic, lots of keyboards, somewhat different to their 'usual' approach. O.K., The Angel And The Gambler isn't their best track, but it's 'rocking' as all-hell. And The Clansman is as good as any of their epics. Blaze pulls it off admirably. Still, The X Factor is much more exciting, Powerlave is up there, and the new Book Of Souls is creeping up there as well. Up the Irons !!

Virtual XI grew on me a lot, much better album than NPFTD for me. The Clansman sang by Bruce in Rock in Rio is epic.

And The X Factor is awesome, I love the dark tone it has. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 09:30

I've always liked 'The Educated Fool' and the emotional ballad 'como estas amigos'.
The Angel and the Gambler is good but it's quite repetitive.

I'm also glad to hear the book of souls is still creeping up on you. A highly addictive album. Will be more appreciated as a few years go by!!! :)

-------------

Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 15:13
As with most epic extravaganzas (I.Q. Road Of Bones comes to mind), The Book Of Souls is taking time to sink in, but it's rewarding. Gets better with each spin.
So, from the post-2000 albums since Bruce's return, it really is tough to say which is the best. Dance Of Death and Final Frontier are a smidge behind the others, but have some ripper tracks throughout. The others are incredibly awesome.
BTW, anyone checked out Steve Harris' 'solo' project British Lion ?? Sounds like a band to catch down the local !!

Date Posted: October 15 2015 at 00:20
I like The Final Frontier a lot, especially the second side. The Talisman, Starblind, When the Wild Wind Blows and to a lesser extent The Man Who Would Be King are amazing.

If I were to rank them I'd go:

-Brave New World (their greatest album IMO)
-Book of Souls (brilliant, not far behind)
-The Final Frontier
-AMOLAD (solid all throughout but not many moments of brilliance)
-Dance of Death (some great tracks but some fillers)

And British Lion was pretty good. But I prefer Bruce's solo work.

-------------

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: October 17 2015 at 02:14
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I think you need Spinal Tap for that sort of sense of progression.  ;)

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: October 17 2015 at 04:38

They probably grew up listening to Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, GG, Hawkwind, stuff like that as well as AC/DC, Zeppelin, Scorpions, The Who and the Beatles Dead.....but that latter group does not make them prog or prog-related.

I remember in an interview about 25 years ago, Bruce admitted to being a Jethro Tull fan...

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: October 17 2015 at 08:50
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

I remember in an interview about 25 years ago, Bruce admitted to being a Jethro Tull fan...

The two key members composition-wise(in my opinion) Harris and Dickinson are both Prog fans and like RUSH as they get later in their careers they are indulging themselves by creating music that is Prog influenced.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: October 17 2015 at 16:23
Revelation !!!!!
I've had Somewhere In Time on cassette since shortly after it appeared in '86. I listened to it a lot back then, but moved on from it and haven't listened to it since, maybe 1990 or so. I bought the vinyl re-issue yesterday and listening to it absolutely FLOORED me !! A remarkable album, easily up there with Powerslave. The use of guitar-synth was a risk for them to take, but adds so much texture to the songs. And the production is bang-on. It sounds quite mighty today. In fact, I gonna plonk it on the TT right now.
And then The Book Of Souls.......

Date Posted: October 17 2015 at 20:20
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

The two key members composition-wise(in my opinion) Harris and Dickinson are both Prog fans and like RUSH as they get later in their careers they are indulging themselves by creating music that is Prog influenced.

Harris is a big fan of Genesis and Jethro (they even did a cover of Cross-Eyed Mary)

-------------

Date Posted: October 17 2015 at 20:26
^ Not to mention NEKTAR - they covered King Of Twilight too.

Date Posted: October 17 2015 at 23:20
Maiden also did a great cover of Hocus Pocus.

Date Posted: October 17 2015 at 23:28
Hocus Pocus ?? I never heard their version

Date Posted: October 20 2015 at 15:54
Whoa !! Revelation !!
Somewhere In Time is a permanent fixture on my TT lately and could well surpass Powerslave as the best Bruce-led album
The debut for Di'anno
The X Factor for Blaze

Date Posted: October 20 2015 at 16:47

Whoa !! Revelation !!
Somewhere In Time is a permanent fixture on my TT lately and could well surpass Powerslave as the best Bruce-led album
The debut for Di'anno
The X Factor for Blaze

Really glad to hear SOMEWHERE IN TIME has made sweet dear love to your eardrums lately.
Certainly a vinyl remaster would do that album some sweet justice. :)
I've been trying to tell many people I know for years just how good that album is. Do they listen to me?
Of course not.
It's in their top 3 for me. I've adored it for around 12 years now.

-------------

Date Posted: October 21 2015 at 01:04
^ Just BRILLIANT, more consistent than Seventh Son...........

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 21 2015 at 01:11

^ Just BRILLIANT, more consistent than Seventh Son...........

LOL
oh, are you serious??

Date Posted: October 21 2015 at 02:43
^ Well, the title-track is in the Top-Ten for Maiden, if not Top-5, but the album overall falls short of Somewhere In Time. I think so, anyway.
And Powerslave has Back In The Village, which has always been a slightly 'lesser' track on an otherwise BRILLIANT album.

Date Posted: October 21 2015 at 03:23

^ Well, the title-track is in the Top-Ten for Maiden, if not Top-5, but the album overall falls short of Somewhere In Time. I think so, anyway.
And Powerslave has Back In The Village, which has always been a slightly 'lesser' track on an otherwise BRILLIANT album.

new IM album has 4 songs I don't like.
Back in the Village is more than ok with me. Big smile

To me, the new album falls short of even Brave New World which I enjoyed a lot more and had no filler songs IMO.

Date Posted: October 21 2015 at 03:52
^ I can agree with that. It's pretty darn hard to have 90+ minutes of perfection, especially with a back-catalogue of incredible work. BNW is pretty awesome, AMoLaD too, however, on-par are DoD, TFF, and TBoS. And even then, still hard to top much of the 80's classics and The X Factor.
No Prayer holds the lowest rate for me, even though a weak 3 star. Virtual XI being a 3.5 for me. Then it's all 4's and a few 5's.

Date Posted: October 21 2015 at 04:33

^ I can agree with that. It's pretty darn hard to have 90+ minutes of perfection, especially with a back-catalogue of incredible work. BNW is pretty awesome, AMoLaD too, however, on-par are DoD, TFF, and TBoS. And even then, still hard to top much of the 80's classics and The X Factor.
No Prayer holds the lowest rate for me, even though a weak 3 star. Virtual XI being a 3.5 for me. Then it's all 4's and a few 5's.

To me, Virtual XI is their weakest effort; also Dance of Death was rather uneven yet better than TFF which bored me terribly last time I gave it a chance.

No Prayer... was ok with me but it came after SSOTSS plus they had lost Adrian Smith. It was a failed attempt to get back to the roots. Still there are some songs I like on it (the singles Holy Smoke and Bring Your Daughter...being the weakest songs for me).

Date Posted: October 21 2015 at 05:05
^ Mother Russia being the best track, of course.
Currently on SiT. Nicko's pedal work is outstanding, and that's just the first song !!
Also, before SiT, I watched a video tape I have of a 1981 performance. Haven't watched it for at least 20 years. It's still perfect. They were really tight even back then.

Date Posted: October 21 2015 at 12:19
Powerslave is great but a bit too repetitive. Most songs sounds the same, except ROTAM, of course. I wouldn't put it among my favorites (Brave New World, SSOASS, Somewhere in Time, Book of Souls and maybe The X Factor).

-------------

Date Posted: October 21 2015 at 13:36
Dance of Death on repeat mode in the car, terrific one.

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2015 at 01:57
^ It's indeed very good, and along with The Final Frontier, my least spun of the 'new era' albums.
I'm really enjoying The Book Of Souls, and Empire Of Clouds, whilst the first few spins I was underwhelmed, it's revealing itself as an incredible, story-telling epic that works amazingly well. Such is the musical depth here, it does take a few spins to sink in. Some of the shorter tracks aren't as exciting, but still very good. But now, upon re-discovering Somewhere In Time, they don't play as fast as they used to. Things like Long Distance Runner and Deja Vu are amazing, I don't hear that tempo these days.
And which is a stronger track - Alexander The Great, or Seventh Son ????   Both impossibly fantastic.

Date Posted: October 22 2015 at 12:04
^ Going with Alexander here, Somewhere was my first Maiden and still my favorite.

Listened to Book of Souls three or four times now...Enjoyable but three or four more spins will be needed to truly get it.

Next one for the drive (repeat mode, of course).

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2015 at 18:34
Alexander agree, hope they play it live during next year's tour.

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2015 at 00:24
^ I'm thinking Alexander too !! As majestic as Seventh Son is, Alexander is just more......involved. A phenomenal track on an outstanding album. Seriously, I listened to SiT heaps between '86 and '91, but for some reason, moved on and really forgot about it. Was still listening to various Maiden over the years, but never returned to SiT. Now I'm making up for it for sure. I say proudly "a 5 star album". Along with The X Factor, Powerslave and possibly the debut (strong 4.5 for sure).
And even 'weak' Maiden is good Maiden. I'm so glad I've taken this bender on IM of late (I still throw in some other stuff too - Kajagoogoo, Ozrics, Le Orme......)

Date Posted: October 27 2015 at 07:19
THE X FACTOR.............
...........6 out of 5 stars........................THE BEST MAIDEN ever.........followed ever so closely by Somewhere In Time/Powerslave..........................then the debut..............

Posted By: rocknrollcola
Date Posted: October 27 2015 at 14:48
It is a very good album. Played it three times.

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: October 29 2015 at 16:17
The Book of Souls - A really strong album - and pleased to see them starting to get a bit of 'prog' recognition in the music media at last, after steadily moving to longer, more complex works in more recent times (especially since Bruce's return). I enjoyed their early days when part of the NWOBHM (I bought 'The Soundhouse Tapes') and just quietly drifted way from them in the mid-80s (as with much classic/prog rock) as they became a bit samey and I moved to more complex fayre. I now find them surprisingly deep and multi-layered, with more intelligence and variety than the usual metal bands. Good on them! Empire of the Clouds and the Red and the Black are especially good tracks for any progger to ponder!

Sounds great as the triple heavyweight vinyl version too. My daughter can testify to that, now the old turntable is in her room!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Date Posted: October 31 2015 at 15:20
The Book Of Souls is highly excellent, their best since Brave New World, but I still couldn't give it 5 stars (although Empire Of The Clouds is absolutely, positively amazing), almost worth giving the album a 5 for that track alone.

Date Posted: October 31 2015 at 18:31
I also love the album.......I have my tickets for next April already. I am expecting an amazing show next year....Can't wait!! LOL

Up the Friggin Irons!

-------------

Date Posted: January 05 2016 at 19:07
Metal Hammer's 2015 Album of the year.

-------------

Date Posted: January 06 2016 at 01:01

Metal Hammer's 2015 Album of the year.

wow, really? I LOLed reading that.

Posted By: Frosted Celt
Date Posted: January 07 2016 at 19:01
I just ordered Book Of Souls on 180 gram Vinyl. Three LP set and amazing layout. Can't wait to get it in the post !

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk