Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103034
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 16:51
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Classic Battle of Albums Poll#29
Posted By: micky
Subject: Classic Battle of Albums Poll#29
Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 07:37
Next up.  Poll #29.  One vote, top 2 vote getters move on to 2nd round. Vote for the album people.. not the group. If you don't know the album, ask, google, youtube it. Lots of great music here man...

CryCry this one will hurt.. 2 top 10 personal favs.. and doubt my alltime favorite.. will not advance. Oh well.

From Belgium...

Present!!!

From England...

Supertramp!!!

and then there are these two.. masterpieces...

From Italy.. one of the big 3 of RPI.. could have gone with other albums, however I picked this one. Amazing stuff man

Le Orme!!!

and last but not least... my alltime favorite album.. and song. 

From Italy.. the creative and musical genius that is.. Franco Battiato! Heart

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Replies:
Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 07:41
Battiato
Present
Supertramp
Le Orme

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Atkingani
Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 09:02
Le Orme.

-------------
Guigo

~~~~~~

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 09:17
Present. Can't stand Supertramp and Sulle Corde di Aries doesn't do anything for me at all. If it had been Felona e Sorona I would have voted for that but Uoma di Pezza is a good but not great album IMO. Triskadekaphobie is excellent.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 09:21
yet another hold

Sulle Corde di Aries
*a yardstick*
Uomo di Pezza
*distance from LA to New York
Triskaidekaphobie and Crime of the Century

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 09:27
Uomo di pezza.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 11:34
Quite the RPI showdown here, Le Orme vs. Battiato... but it has to be Battiato.

-------------

Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 11:37
wow.. strong showing out of the gate from da man himself. And i know he has more than a few fans that haven't voted yet or been online.  Well done everyone. It is a great album. Nice to see the support!

I did save my vote.. just in case Le ORme needed it. It looks like I'll continue to hold it .. just in case Battiato stays up front. Unlikely.. but still. .stranger things have happened.

-------------

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 12:14
Crime of the Century, one of the best albums ever made PERIOD.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 12:23
Present, easily

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 12:35
for some reasons, it didn't take my vote and I can'rt do it anymore; can you fix it please!! (it' done it on a few others as well

Crime of the century for me

Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 12:49
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

for some reasons, it didn't take my vote and I can'rt do it anymore; can you fix it please!! (it' done it on a few others as well

Crime of the century for me

can't really fix it..  likely a M@X kind of issue.

The shear number of polls is probably stressing out the system. There might be some anti-troll mechanism that doesn't allow machine gun voting either.  We've seen this happen with the other (earlier) polls as well.  Best thing to do is stagger your votes.  I do go back and count the votes that don't register, so if you do vote and it doesn't register. Just post it here (as you have) and I'll count it in the final totals.. unless of course.. I tend to forget when poeple like you vote against my albums LOLWink

-------------

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 14:05
Le Orme +1, then Battiato.

-------------

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 17:41
Congratulations to that incredibly talented artist who drew that odd picture! Thanks to his drawing I was attracted to listen to this odd music, and today would be the first time I don't vote for Le Orme, this Present track turned out to be a stunning change to my prog routine. I'm loving that atmosphere of increasing tension and drama, and their drumming felt essential to me on that (superb!) kinda crescendo from min. 8 up to 10, only surprised that they didn't included some violins in this track, like I heard on Inara by Aranis, Presage and Dense by Univers Zero, but not needed at all 'cause the electric guitar was so perfect on that thriling final section (which is the cherry on the cake for me.)

hell yeah 'Sequenze e Frecuenze' is a fascinating track! Clap, and hipnotizing atmosphere to say the least, finally I could listen to my first Battiato's track, have to check out the whole album, it's music to listen to it again and again. But I'm getting fascinated too by that whole new world of music Present offer to check out, and unfortunately they are definitely 'out of battle', so I'm gonna hold my vote to help my favourite RPI band if necessary LOL

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 18:22
Crime o' the Century

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 20:35
That Le Orme album was the 2nd RPI album I bought and it has too strong of fond memories for me.  Easy one for me in this group.

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: June 27 2015 at 20:41
ClapClapClap
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Congratulations to that incredibly talented artist who drew that odd picture! Thanks to his drawing I was attracted to listen to this odd music, and today would be the first time I don't vote for Le Orme, this Present track turned out to be a stunning change to my prog routine. I'm loving that atmosphere of increasing tension and drama, and their drumming felt essential to me on that (superb!) kinda crescendo from min. 8 up to 10, only surprised that they didn't included some violins in this track, like I heard on Inara by Aranis, Presage and Dense by Univers Zero, but not needed at all 'cause the electric guitar was so perfect on that thriling final section (which is the cherry on the cake for me.)

hell yeah 'Sequenze e Frecuenze' is a fascinating track! Clap, and hipnotizing atmosphere to say the least, finally I could listen to my first Battiato's track, have to check out the whole album, it's music to listen to it again and again. But I'm getting fascinated too by that whole new world of music Present offer to check out, and unfortunately they are definitely 'out of battle', so I'm gonna hold my vote to help my favourite RPI band if necessary LOL

ClapClapClap

Welcome to the Present train, fantastic band, creating atmospheric Avant Chamber Rock with an emphasis on electric guitar. One of my favorite bands. Going to see them again at RIO in Sept, stoked.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: June 28 2015 at 00:44
Crime of the Century

-------------

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: June 28 2015 at 02:19
Battiato with no doubts

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: June 28 2015 at 06:09
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

that is the spirit Rick ClapClapClap.  Fun may be our name, but discovery is our game.

-------------

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: June 28 2015 at 06:11
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Battiato with no doubts
Indeed!

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2015 at 06:12
hah.. really people?  No surprise I guess

still holding however..for one more day to see if adventurous people of tastes and curiosity still exist on this forum.. or it is just filled with a bunch of sheep...LOL

-------------

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: June 28 2015 at 06:17
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hah.. really people?  No surprise I guess

still holding however..for one more day to see if adventurous people of tastes and curiosity still exist on this forum.. or it is just filled with a bunch of sheep...LOL

Unfortunately, the only way not to have big-name bands run away with a poll is to select their worst album, or at least one that's not very highly rated. This was what happened with Genesis and Pink Floyd in the first half of the contest. If you choose albums that are recognized by the majority as very strong efforts, the lesser-known acts will stand no chance whatsoever.

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: June 28 2015 at 10:38
le Orme - a classic!

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: June 28 2015 at 14:14
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

ClapClapClap

Welcome to the Present train, fantastic band, creating atmospheric Avant Chamber Rock with an emphasis on electric guitar. One of my favorite bands. Going to see them again at RIO in Sept, stoked.

that is the spirit Rick ClapClapClap.  Fun may be our name, but discovery is our game.

Thanks Nogbad and Micky!

'Curiosity killed the cat' LOL, no idea what I was missing here man.... and so exciting is the discovering of a completely new music like this... Big smile 
I like pretty much when these such an interesting changes happen to the music I'm used to listen to everyday.

Yeah I'm loving too that kind of more heavy beat that I felt on Present, well I'm comparing just to the other few I recently knew from Aranis and Univers Zero so far, which means nothing about these such a prolific bands to dig into.

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: June 28 2015 at 14:17
Le Omelette

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: June 28 2015 at 17:33
I think this one is the toughest group for me. I picked Le Orme early on but man four out of the four are five star albums in my opinion.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: June 28 2015 at 17:38
yeah...  I agree John..  it was a rough one. I cried out in pain when I saw where my beloved favorite fell in the draw. D.O.A it was. 

So pulling the sheet over Battiato's album.. 

Le Orme it is!!!

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: June 28 2015 at 18:43
Present

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: June 28 2015 at 20:02
Hard to beat Crime of the Century in my book.

Date Posted: June 28 2015 at 20:46
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Hard to beat Crime of the Century in my book.

easy.. .listen to the other 3 albums LOLWink

-------------

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: June 29 2015 at 13:04
Present is the best out of these albums. I can't believe they won't be advancing...

Date Posted: June 29 2015 at 14:48
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Present is the best out of these albums. I can't believe they won't be advancing...

hah...where have you been....  nice to see you back btw... I haven't seen you since I came back.

hmmm

1) are they english

STRIKE 1

2) what genre are they in....

STRRRRIKE 2

3) is a big name ENGLISH group in the poll AND one of the best Italian albums ever done....

STRIKE 3.. you are outta there...

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2015 at 16:43
It seems quite sure that neither Present nor Battiato will be advancing - unless a miracle happens - so I can cast my vote for my fellow countryman Battiato's magnificent third album.

Date Posted: June 30 2015 at 16:46
hahahha..  miracle?  I think it needs something greater than that... perhaps if I bussed in all the people in real life I've exposed to the album. Remember that guy at the bar across the street I converted.. even gave him the extra copy I had of the album.  Bars, ditches, customers in 5 million dollar homes, customers in roach infested dives, hot women in offices.  All have discovered the magic and sheer beauty of the album through the big Mick.

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: July 01 2015 at 02:16
Crime of the Century (1974) - Supertramp

Posted By: t d wombat
Date Posted: July 01 2015 at 22:22
Doesn't much matter, foregone conclusion so it's ....... Supertramp ..... Yay !!.

Settle Mickey.

To be honest I really loved Crime when it first came out and it still does the business today but it simply is not in the same league as Battiato.

-------------
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 02:07

Le Orme, Uomo di pezza.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 07:15
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

Doesn't much matter, foregone conclusion so it's ....... Supertramp ..... Yay !!.

Settle Mickey.

To be honest I really loved Crime when it first came out and it still does the business today but it simply is not in the same league as Battiato.

nice Clap... you get Micky bonus for that man...  you get a future free get out jail 'vote for Camel' micky-mulligan for that wisdom.

definitely not the same league... in a genre of copy-cats who wear their influences on their sleeve.. no album I've ever heard sounds anything like that album.  Part Krautrock.. part RPI.... part North-African.

amazing stuff man.. and yeah.. compared to that.... the current leader sounds like a Celine Dion album.  well done..great album as it is... but flaccid musically...

-------------

Posted By: Andrea Cortese
Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 07:26
For those who doesn't know: Micky got lovesick for Sulle Corde di Aries. Therefore he's not neutral neither full-clear-headed in his judgement.

Actually, the face on the album's cover is Micky's (oh yeah, he's got the extra-eye too... lucky him!Big smile).

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 07:27
LOLThumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 15:32
Well, Franco Battiato's album surely sounds like high quality music.
Problem is, I need more listens to let the songs sink in.
I like the instrumentation though, the atmosphere and the adventure.

Le Orme: if it was Contrappunti (my favorite Orme album) I would almost certainly have voted for it.
Uome Di Pezza is nice, I always enjoyed listening to it, but I won't vote for it.

Present does nothing for me.

Okay, Supertramp it is. Wonderful album!

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 16:11
the best medium for listening to that is in the dark, with headphones with a glass of wine in hand.  To me it is as close as one can come to taking leave of your  mind and body without doing illegal substances LOL

-------------

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 16:46

the best medium for listening to that is in the dark, with headphones with a glass of wine in hand.  To me it is as close as one can come to taking leave of your  mind and body without doing illegal substances LOL

Okay! Sounds like an experiment I could take. I need some good Italian wine, though, Nebbiolo or Sangiovese
It does sound like an album I need to listen more to. Some albums only give away their secrets after many listening sessions.
Was it an album that immediately struck a chord with you, Mick?

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:07
Supertramp

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:11
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Was it an album that immediately struck a chord with you, Mick?

on the first listen by Sequenze e Frequenze... blown away especially by the section starting about 9 and half minutes with the mournful drone of the VCS 3.. brilliant.. so full of colors. The rest of album is not quite as visceral... what it is is more celebral.

I failed in my attempt to convey that in my review.. the way Sequenze e Frequenze can transport  a listener to a different world... a different state of mind.. however I thought Raff NAILED the 2nd half of the album in her review.

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=204371" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=204371

v bah LOL

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:57
Tonight I am going to cook the Wombet a deboned leg of lamb stuffed with sundry herbs and pine nuts. Minor sacrilege but wine will have to be a Tempronillo. I'm sure Sr Battiatto would not approve but Spanish it is going to be. Then methinks, when I'm well fed and semi sozzled it will be out with the headphones.

How Battiatto got past me I have no idea cos electronic is a big love of mine. Maybe I've spent too much time listening to the usual suspects. I've listened to this album a couple of times at work and it most certainly does grow on you.

-------------
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 18:05
Clap awesome man... and went you get this one.. there are his other albums.. all different.. all quite interesting

-------------

Posted By: Daysbetween
Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 10:46
This poll is too difficult and I really need to add the Battiato CD to my collection.

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 14:20
Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 15:26
OK, I did it. Damn,  Sulle Corde de Aries does just get betterer and betterer. I'm digging deeper into the great man's works. I know it is utterly sinful but the first listens were through computer speakers at suitable for the office vollume. Through headphones or a decent system at disturb the koalas levels .... oh my.

His later stuff may not be PR but damn it is still lovely. My musical tastes travel far and wide beyond PR so excuse the slide Off Topic but it must be said that even (even ?) stuff like his Baghdad concert (You Tube only alas) is really quite gorgeous.

Owe you a beer Mickey.

-------------
Andrew B

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 15:38

OK, I did it. Damn,  Sulle Corde de Aries does just get betterer and betterer. I'm digging deeper into the great man's works. I know it is utterly sinful but the first listens were through computer speakers at suitable for the office vollume. Through headphones or a decent system at disturb the koalas levels .... oh my.

His later stuff may not be PR but damn it is still lovely. My musical tastes travel far and wide beyond PR so excuse the slide Off Topic but it must be said that even (even ?) stuff like his Baghdad concert (You Tube only alas) is really quite gorgeous.

Owe you a beer Mickey.

Clap Indeed, Battiato is one of Italy's most representative modern artists, and not just in the field of progressive/electronic music. He's branched into classical music as well, and his "pop" albums - as you rightly said - stand head and shoulders above a lot of stale, contrived prog. I remember being dragged by some friends to one of his concerts in 1980 or so, around the time he released L'era del cinghiale bianco. Though I might have been less than enthusiastic at first, I left the theater a convert.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 15:39
A slice of Pezza for me.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 15:48

Owe you a beer Mickey.

I'll take you up on that! LOLThumbs UpBeer

I'm really glad you enjoyed it so... almost makes up for losing to a Supertramp album.  Can't win them all I suppose haha Wink

How many more polls you still have left to get to?  Roughly about 15 hours to closing time...

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 16:09
Presumably the first lot are now done and dusted (??) but I've voted in everything post 17. 

btw ... would it be a good idea to close the threads once the votes are counted ?

-------------
Andrew B

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 16:34
yeah  only classic 17-32 are in play. Tomorrow Modern 17-32 go.  I'm not sure if I can close them.  I tabulate them as I close them so it really doesn't matter if they are closed or not.

Besides .. leaving them open is not always a bad thing LOL

during the band competition polls last winter we had a poll that went down to the wire... and a band a number of us wanted to see advance fell short by ONE vote.. so of course like a hour after I closed them one of our 'special' Special Collaborators just waltzes in.. never mind he all week to vote..  and casts a tying vote..  DOH!!!   We had a good time busting his balls for that one.

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 17:54
OK. Have to go into the office for a few hours today so I'll go modern then.

-------------
Andrew B

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 17:59
that is where the fun really is...  even the best of us don't know them all.  For the rest of us mere mortals..  the polls are less less about the 'results' and more about taking the opportunity to explore and catch albums we have missed. We had a real good thing going with the first batch as a good number of us spent the week working our way through the 16 polls.  My wife is more into the modern scene than me, she kept up with it after we both left the site. I'd estimate I had heard or we owned less than half of the 64 albums. Made for a lot of listening.  Great stuff though.

I know the from the first batch of modern polls I got a list of 5 or 6 'must haves' and another list of 5 or 6 that I wanted to get.. ie would if I saw them and they reached up and grabbed me.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk