Print Page | Close Window

If you could change one thing about PA .

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: General Music Discussions
Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103103
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 18:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: If you could change one thing about PA .
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: If you could change one thing about PA .
Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 16:39
If you could change one thing about PA for the better, what would it be?

Replies:
Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 16:51
Other than mis-posted threads?   Tongue Kidding (though it may be moved to Site Discussions).

Hmm, good question, I guess I miss the crazy community energy we had back five years ago or so.   But as for something tangible, maybe the artist pages; the format could be a bit more helpful, something like what Wiki has with the pertinent info upfront instead of just name, country, photo, members and bio, the rest buried in a biography.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:05
David touched on it... I'll stomp on it.

I miss the passion this place used to have.... if I could change one thing...  I'd change that. People cared.. cared enough to succumb to their more base internet instincts haha While the forum is a much polite and friendly place.. well... that is BORING!!!!  There was a certain air of danger in the past about promoting this.. or pissing on that ..and that was that someone was going to try to shoot you down or put a knife in your back.  good times man.. you learned to be quicker and nasterier or you left or became a wallflower.

I know which is better.. the forum is a better place... but that is not the same as being a vibrant exciting place either.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:11
^ Post an irreverent thread with outrageous claims or blasphemous questions--  pretty sure we'd get a lively conversation.   But people are more timid these days.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:18
bah.. .I tried to stir the pot in the SWilson thread and what did I get.. some feeble attempts at whining about me hating on the artist. boo hoo. LOL

Bah...  I could care less about the artist.. it was the fans I was after.. not for their tastes.. who cares what they like... but to stimulate a reaction.  I couldn't get that David.. at least back in the day you count on the DT kiddies to try to gun me down with squirt guns.. when I came after their favorite group.. they even tried to get me banned.  Well done.. now that was lively forum LOLClap

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:26
Bah, forget Wilson, and the DT kiddies, they're older now anyway and have probably moved on somewhat, but that could make a good thread: 'What Happened to All the DT Kiddies and What Are They Listening to Now?'.  

Of course all you got for Wilson was whining, frankly he's not a very interesting figure.   Go for the jugular; question established views like the importance of the Beatles or that the U.S. was the actual birthplace of prog or why Phil Collins is not a jerk but a genius or something like that.  

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:33
yeah... good point...  I know we exterminated a bunch of the DT fans.. but we couldn't get all of them. They multipied faster than the symphonic horsemen could ride them down...

thought I did the point that SWilson will be just like DT was all those years ago... infesting the site... (remember the 'favorite Petrucci breakfast cereal' thread) now they are  gone...  result of zero meaningful lasting contribution to the site or to music by the group and when SWilsons creative force is spent (which of course it has long been LOL) fans would simply migrate to the latest flavor of the month.

A progressive 'pop' star is what I called him... no better description have I seen. Rabid fans.. little substance... easily disposed of when his time is up.

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:52
Well my comment has nothing to do with Steve's question....but anything "....Beatles are the greatest and oh yea they created prog!!" Stirs the solid wastes in my intestines and what is about to exit in my rectum....Not sure my replies would be anymore intelligent than "they SUX!!"

I do remember the heated debates all over the place 4-5yrs ago.....Mostly funny to read and I would participate every once in awhile. Where's Henry Plainview when you need him LOL

-------------

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:55
I notice you did not post on the wilson thread after your first couple of posts, thinking your opinion is not as important as you think it is. 

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 18:03
Smile  why...it was a corpse of a thread and even I couldn't inject life into it, try as I might with a bit baiting. You all gave nothing to work with in response other than whining about the 'hate'. Boo hoo.

You do need to work on the reading comprehension there Timothy...  I don't care a fig about SWilson or if you all like him.  More power to him for hoodwinking supposedly intelligent listeners and more power to anyone for enjoying whatever they enjoy. 

I care about having some fun and bringing some life into the forum. I had hoped to get some good responses. Something to work with.

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 18:13
^ See I have tried to do that on those Beatles threads....but all I get is "they are God and that's it, you are dumb....." Boring

My attitude yea has calmed....I remember back in 2007 when the MS Zune started and MS created the "Social". Forum site about all things Zune and music.....GOD there were some amazingly heated discussions, we always had "Zune cops" roaming the forum hallways telling us to "stop it now!!" I have to say those were the best, anything here was grade school compared to the Zune Social Forums. LOL

I am not advocating this but I can see where Micky is coming from....

To answer Steve's question......Essentially we need something to strike some life into this site, not sure what yet, but the Admins/Creators/Collabs should hunker down and come up with some ideas...I mean you guys get paid a ton of money to have these titles, you should do some work for the pay!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 18:16
You were run off the page, when you took your little vacation from PA it functioned just fine and what you bring to the forum is not fun it is childish tripe.

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 18:22
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

You were run off the page, when you took your little vacation from PA it functioned just fine and what you bring to the forum is not fun it is childish tripe.

run off?  HAH!!

trust me.. I could trape right back in there and take a giant sh*t on every one of the responses.. but that wasn't the intent in the first place .which you are still completely ingnorant of. The intent never was to sh*t on the artist or its fans for the sake of moving the bowels.. and get into a giant pissing match. It was to tweak some noses good naturedly and get some passion man.. passion I have for the music I love.. passion I would hope others have for the music they love...to engage in some interesting back and forth.

the passion this site so sorely misses today that it had in spade back in the day.  That .. that is where the fun begins.

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 18:25
Our saviour

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 18:27
that is why I wear the white hat here...  LOLWink

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 19:00
The grass is always greener even when you know it's not.   The sad truth is that it's one or the other; fun with frequent outrage and exodus, or peace & quiet with frequent boredom.

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 19:04
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

The grass is always greener even when you know it's not.   The sad truth is that it's one or the other; fun with frequent outrage and exodus, or peace & quiet with frequent boredom.

and I've been sort of torn since I came back as to which is better..

a quick death by getting hit by 20HD fireball by some forum smartass or a slow one bysuffocation for lack of oxygen to the brain...

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 19:37
LOL

Yeah

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 20:02
Beer

of course I saw red when I saw your post David and ran with that.

that is the way the things are..for better AND for worse... likely in 5 to 10 years it will be the wild west again .. not a peaceful moment.. not a dull one either.

However if I could change ONE thing.. one tangible thing?  hmmm... oh yeah... I'd get rid of ratings with reviews.

will it change anything? nope your brain cells with still be slowly dying off
will it improve anything?  nope..  it isn't going to bring back teh old symphonic team and legions of DT fans doing battle across the forums in a duel for forum supremacy

what would it do...  settle a score. as I have wanted that done for years...  it will get  reviewers off their asses to write album reviews.. not rating justifications...

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 20:19
Ah yes, Ratings Abolition.  I've favored that for years.

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 20:27
yep... fat chance in hell of it happening.. but still... it would be public enemy #1 on my most wanted list.

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 20:32
A good debate to be had though; could be illuminating, and a lively discussion.

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2015 at 20:41
it could be....  I prefer to see the discussion about additions climax. To either go to the next step or finally drown.

Additions here are even more important than reviews. The relative lack of discussion there doesn't speak well to lively discussion about something that few do.. and is more of subtle forum improvement rather than a more direct one.

IN fact.. that would likely be #2 on my list.  I'd change the addition policy here.. only not #1 because @1 can be done with a quick decision... #2 requires a lot of discussion and acceptance on the part of everyone involved.

-------------

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 00:52
I like your :
"...too psych to be folk, too folk to be stoner, too stoner to be Prog, too Prog to be alternative, too alternative to be psych"

Too prog to be prog Confused

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 06:21

The grass is always greener even when you know it's not.   

The grass looks greener and it's to do with viewing angles (perspective): when you looking over the fence at your neighbour's grass you are seeing it at an acute angle so you see more of the green blades than the brown dirt than you would by looking down at the grass at your feet. [courtesy of Chris Beardshaw, Gardener's Question Time, BBC Radio Four, June 2015]

The metaphor can be extended to nostalgia and memory, we only remember the highlights (grass blades) and tend to ignore the mundane (brown dirt).

From my brief tenure as an Admin I was blessed with the chance to see the forum and its peoples from a different viewing angle, and from the lofty height of the glass citadel things look a lot different than they do at the grass-roots. Things (topics, agendas, opinions, people, etc.,) that seemed important at one level become trivial and irrelevant when you step back from the red-mist heat of argument and take a dispassionate look at the bigger picture then breakdown each point on its own merit.

A case in point being the Occupy-Wall Street inspired "Free Progarchives movement" a few years back. At the time it did seem like the PA was at crisis point and on the verge of total collapse. So rather than wading in guns blazing the Admins took a step back and asked "Okay, let's talk: What are your specific grievances?". Fourteen pages of healthy debate later things that seemed important at the beginning were addressed and dealt with calmly. No one was fired and no one was banned (nothing changed either, but hey-ho). The only tragedy of that was the prime instigator of the "movement" took no part in that debate, choosing to exile himself from both the CZ and the General Forum (no doubt under the mistaken impression he was persona non grata around here)... peoples' perception of what the Admins think of them is generally a long way from the reality, their importance isn't as widely felt as it is to themselves (myself included).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A forum is just a bunch of keyboard warriors with half-baked opinions and dodgy memories. If this forum has become boring and tedious (which it has) then that is wholly down to the current crop of frequent contributors and how they argue their opinions. The topics themselves aren't necessarily at fault here, most of them are good topics to discuss with much to talk about. Where it all goes horribly astray is when those failing to convince the audience start blaming other people, or the PA in general, for their failure. "If this band doesn't fit then change the PA rules" is the dumbest of all arguments.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would love to see the separation of ratings from reviews, the concept of ranking one album against another completely different album by a completely different band in a completely different subgenre of music is a nonsense. Personally I'd scrap ratings completely - they mean nothing anyway and are an out-moded throwback to magazine print reviews that have attained a level of significance they don't warrant. Aggregating a bunch of 5-star preferences to 2 decimal places is another nonsense. If one person says buy this album and another says don't, then does the mathematical average of that mean you should buy half the album? Basically that's what average album ratings are saying.

-------------
What?

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 06:45
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

bah.. .I tried to stir the pot in the SWilson thread and what did I get.. some feeble attempts at whining about me hating on the artist. boo hoo. LOL

Bah...  I could care less about the artist.. it was the fans I was after.. not for their tastes.. who cares what they like... but to stimulate a reaction.  I couldn't get that David.. at least back in the day you count on the DT kiddies to try to gun me down with squirt guns.. when I came after their favorite group.. they even tried to get me banned.  Well done.. now that was lively forum LOLClap
Ah yes, the DT kiddies. I remember the days when I could put "He's only a drummer, get over it" in a thread about Portnoy leaving DT, then sit back and wait for the abuse. LOL

Anyway, what would I change about PA? Possibly the name - Archives has always suggested to me a dusty old library full of information about old prog bands, whereas in fact it's become a database of every band (well known or otherwise) who are vaguely progressive. It's a never-ending task to add all these bands and sometimes I wonder what we're actually trying to be here.

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 07:12
I'd remove the e-Bay advertisements for illegal CD copies.

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 07:47
^ troo dat.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 08:36
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Ah yes, the DT kiddies. I remember the days when I could put "He's only a drummer, get over it" in a thread about Portnoy leaving DT, then sit back and wait for the abuse. LOL

Anyway, what would I change about PA? Possibly the name - Archives has always suggested to me a dusty old library full of information about old prog bands, whereas in fact it's become a database of every band (well known or otherwise) who are vaguely progressive. It's a never-ending task to add all these bands and sometimes I wonder what we're actually trying to be here.

excellent.. .. excellent suggestion Alan.

hell I'd even bump that to #1.

change the name.  As noted in many previous threads..  the site uses prog and progressive interchangeably when as many have noted.. the two have diverged completely.. and the site reflects it. Since prog rock, a genre as much as any other, is contained within the larger umbrella of progressive rock.. which in turn is contained within the larger progressive music umbrella which this site covers.

Simply... Progressive Archives. Simple change.. a good one..and more importantly an accurate one as this site has long progressed from being a mere prog rock website.  Large portions of the database are not 'prog' nor  'rock'

-------------

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 08:59
Krautrock isn't much rock either. I'm not an expert nor lover of Kraut (except for the food; I like making kraut stew) though.

Progressive... a bit like Bradley Smith who wrote the review book "The Billboard Guide To Progressive Music", where he distinguishes progressive rock, progressive jazz and progressive ambient.
As much as I like the idea, this will pose some problems, though, which has to be dealt with, like: are you only going to handle jazzrock, or will a big part of jazz being absorbed? The "rock" lemma still offers a good watershed.

The "Archives" part is a bit dusty, maybe. Maybe ProgExposure (thanks Robert Fripp) or other words that haven't been claimed yet in the wide world of prog.

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 09:08
progressive jazz has always been a glaring omission on this site IMO.

No reason not to include it when in essence we have included progressive electronic, progressive folk, progressive neo-classical (rio/avant), and progressive pop.

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 09:32
Krautrock is mostly rockbased Marcel - I don't know what you've been listening to maybe progressive electronic.

As for your idea Micky: where do we draw the line? Progressive hip hop? Progressive classical? Progressive trance? And just to point out a wee discrepancy with this notion; if we were to change into ProgressiveArchives, then you could make a case for punk as well - widely accepted as the antithesis of prog. Why make the case? It was the next step - noone had done this before. Punk progressed the rock format (although you could say it just took 50s RnB and sped it up), and took it places it hadn't been before. It blossomed into the post-punk scene, which imho far exceeded anything the prog bands were dishing out around 78 in terms of progressiveness.
In the end, we'll end up with RYM 2.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 09:39
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Krautrock is mostly rockbased Marcel - I don't know what you've been listening to maybe progressive electronic.

Probably, yes.  I should keep my mouth shut about Krautrock Embarrassed

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 09:39
I would probably ban troll Micky; you know the one that customers think might need a drug test.  Wink Straight man Micky is welcome to stay. 

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 09:41

As for your idea Micky: where do we draw the line? Progressive hip hop? Progressive classical? Progressive trance? And just to point out a wee discrepancy with this notion; if we were to change into ProgressiveArchives, then you could make a case for punk as well - widely accepted as the antithesis of prog. Why make the case? It was the next step - noone had done this before. Punk progressed the rock format (although you could say it just took 50s RnB and sped it up), and took it places it hadn't been before. It blossomed into the post-punk scene, which imho far exceeded anything the prog bands were dishing out around 78 in terms of progressiveness.
In the end, we'll end up with RYM 2.

ahh... we do what we have always done... evaluate carefully and add if they fit.

Do you really think the collabs here will add progressive hip-hop bands here. No neither do I... but ..but BUT.. if one did.  You damn well better believe that if one was added.. it would make sense. 

Look no further than SD.. .we knew it was going to be bomb dropped on the forum.. yet you know what... no one on the forum batted an eyelid about it. The only people that had a problem with it are those who.. well... had a problem with me personally Smile and thought I was stupid enough to not add something controversial without getting it cleared by multiple teams.

Trust your collabs.. .a mistake the previous administration made in not doing so.. they have good sense on what belongs and what doesn't and care for the integrety of the site as much as you all do. If not more... it is our names that go on the addtions.

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 09:47
I understand what you're saying but that was not really my point. If we are to mane the change to a site that concerns itself with Progressive music, then we have to accept hip hop and trance and all the other styles of music as well. Progressive music doesn't stop where your tastes stop. If we only included stuff we 'like' then there'd be no point of the change to begin with.
Progressive music is progressive music no matter if it's done by Beethoeven, Wu-Tang Clan or Suicide. If we say a we'll have to say b as well.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 09:49
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I would probably ban troll Micky; you know the one that customers think might need a drug test.  Wink Straight man Micky is welcome to stay. 

bah.... you know you love McTroll...  and anyone who doesn't gets a PM with the picture of me in heels and my tight black dress. hah!

Straight Mick is boring anyway..LOL

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 10:02

I understand what you're saying but that was not really my point. If we are to mane the change to a site that concerns itself with Progressive music, then we have to accept hip hop and trance and all the other styles of music as well. Progressive music doesn't stop where your tastes stop. If we only included stuff we 'like' then there'd be no point of the change to begin with.
Progressive music is progressive music no matter if it's done by Beethoeven, Wu-Tang Clan or Suicide. If we say a we'll have to say b as well.

ummm...  we have never merely included or added stuff we liked. That is value of good collabs which you have had and still have. We evaluate based on not what we like or don't like but on the music itself. I've cleared many bands and groups I detested stylistically as well as musically.

As far as that goes...we'd merely have to be OPEN to it... and that would be my suggestion David in how to handle it. The question is not to unilaterally add.. but merely to be receptive to suggestions and evaluate them accordingly.

again.. what is our purpose here. To serve the site.. to serve its users.  If THEY want to see it included..

I see no problem with it. In my mind.. the site has ground to a halt creatively... it has been on cruise control for years.  Perhaps it time to take it to the next level. Stimulate interest, discussion and new users.

quite the easy solution..  prog bands are still declined here by the nature of genre teams. and differnig ideas or notions of what belongs... if progressive x or y is declined... so what. What has changed.  The site never has claimed to a 100% complete archive. of even as simple to judge as prog rock.  Only the ultimate LOL Expand that... we won't expect ourselves.. nor would its users ..expect every single progressive doodad under the sun to be included.

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 11:00
I love the idea about removing the number rating, I don't review/rate albums mainly because of this. I enjoy reading the verbiage and that is where I gain the knowledge of the band in question, not some number. As Dean stated its just following an old, old magazine habit..."put a number on it and see what people say!!"

Actually "ProgArchives" sounds pretty cool, the meaning probably does not match the websites Mission Statement (if there is one). All other prog music site titles to me sound the same, but a name change would not bother many here I am sure. 

What I think many regular members would like is some kind of "Member of the Month" or whatever, recognition, something that will acknowledge their contributions to PA, maybe even give them a Star/Mark in their avatar area....people like that. The Forum Senior Member tag is cool, but you get their pretty quick and it's only about number of posts.

Maybe a revamping of the categories in the Forum....some seem to get no participation. Maybe some need to be deleted or new ones added..not sure.

my 2 centavos

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 11:09
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

What I think many regular members would like is some kind of "Member of the Month" or whatever, recognition, something that will acknowledge their contributions to PA, maybe even give them a Star/Mark in their avatar area....people like that. The Forum Senior Member tag is cool, but you get their pretty quick and it's only about number of posts.
Not a bad idea.

Maybe a revamping of the categories in the Forum....some seem to get no participation. Maybe some need to be deleted or new ones added..not sure.
Hadn't even thought about that but yeah, a few new categories and/or elimination of old ones that don't work could be good.

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 13:20
I snuck this post in as a sleeper cell (Akmed by praised) and I'm surprised by the response.
I would like to see the album ratings to include half stars. For example 3.5 stars instead of rounding off to 4.
That said, I wouldn't change a thing. 

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 13:32

David touched on it... I'll stomp on it.

I miss the passion this place used to have.... if I could change one thing...  I'd change that. People cared.. cared enough to succumb to their more base internet instincts haha While the forum is a much polite and friendly place.. well... that is BORING!!!!  There was a certain air of danger in the past about promoting this.. or pissing on that ..and that was that someone was going to try to shoot you down or put a knife in your back.  good times man.. you learned to be quicker and nasterier or you left or became a wallflower.

I know which is better.. the forum is a better place... but that is not the same as being a vibrant exciting place either.
I feel your pain micky, but confrontations always become personal. Not by yours truly, at least I don't take them personally, because I view this type of personal backlash criticism as childish and try to keep in mind that I can only engage people, who know anything about prog, on this site. In other words, these are not discussions that you will have with the average man on street, and I'm engaging with the best. 
But Kumbaya seems to be the watchword so Dodge City is shut down. At least for now. 

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 13:36

Well my comment has nothing to do with Steve's question....but anything "....Beatles are the greatest and oh yea they created prog!!" Stirs the solid wastes in my intestines and what is about to exit in my rectum....Not sure my replies would be anymore intelligent than "they SUX!!"

I do remember the heated debates all over the place 4-5yrs ago.....Mostly funny to read and I would participate every once in awhile. Where's Henry Plainview when you need him LOL
The Beatles are indeed a sticky topic, Jose, as I do give them their creative just deserts. I just can't listen to them anymore.LOL

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 17:26
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

I'd remove the e-Bay advertisements for illegal CD copies.

-------------
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 18:24

I'd report to e-Bay advertisements for illegal CD copies. And download an adblocker...they actually do work!!! LOLLOL

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2015 at 23:08
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The Beatles are indeed a sticky topic, Jose, as I do give them their creative just deserts. I just can't listen to them anymore.LOL

They are no more creative than say Kanye, Lady Gaga or Madonna.....One Direction Dead had better vocals too. Beatles sounded just that, amplified beatle bugs.

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 00:47
^ Oh no you didn't -

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 08:21

I'd report to e-Bay advertisements for illegal CD copies. And download an adblocker...they actually do work!!! LOLLOL

Sure, make a joke out of it, dimmy. 
 Fact is that there are illegal copies being sold there and that they are reported to e-Bay. Sometimes with, sometimes without success. Bottom line here is that they appear in ads on every band page on PA. Bands love the site for that, I can tell you.

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 08:26
you know the score.. presumably better than most I would assume

Talk to M@X..  he is the only one that can something about that.  What can any of us do about the ads... other than block them.

-------------

Posted By: GKR
Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 08:31
We could have a list of better concept albums, no? Just like that of the "classic period". That would be fun.

-------------
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Posted By: GKR
Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 08:32
...and I would finally see A Passion Play in some list. haha

-------------
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 08:39

you know the score.. presumably better than most I would assume

Talk to M@X..  he is the only one that can something about that.  What can any of us do about the ads... other than block them.

I wish he would. He seems to be ignoring it - that's why I throw it out here now.

-------------

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 10:25
I love the fact anyone can come on here and do a review, that's what attracted me to here although all the information is the number one reason I frequented here before signing up.
I don't like that you have to be an official reviewer to be able to edit your reviews and that there's a seperate place for Collabs reviews and non-Collabs reviews. There are so many non-Collabs who write so much better than myself and know so much more about Prog than I do, it just seems wrong. Sure you might get promoted if you ask someone or if someone asks for you to the higher ups but everyone's opinions should hold the same weight in my opinion.
Oh and it's kind of funny how when you do something wrong you get a stern warning from above like we are children. Yes I have acted accordingly on here many times but there's such a lack of respect from those who monitor the site excluding Guldbamsen who unlike the few i've dealt with over the years  actually treats people with respect.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 10:32

^ Oh no you didn't -

Sorry, I forgot to put........IMHO LOL

-------------

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 10:43

^ Oh no you didn't -

Does that H stand for "hogwash?" Wink

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 10:45
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Oh and it's kind of funny how when you do something wrong you get a stern warning from above like we are children.
Stick it to the M@N.

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 10:53
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

^ Oh no you didn't -

Does that H stand for "hogwash?" Wink

Silly wabbit....Humble LOL

-------------

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 11:51
Well I would have said the implementation of public commenting but PA seems to have beaten me to it.

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 14:02

Humble
Woah, woah, woah. This is a prog forum, not a bar. ELP would not be pleased to hear this kind of language from you.

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 19:44
^ Who is ELP....new techno band??

-------------

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 19:53

They are no more creative than say Kanye, Lady Gaga or Madonna.....One Direction Dead had better vocals too. Beatles sounded just that, amplified beatle bugs.
to date no band has been more groundbreaking compared to the Beatles Pinch they ended up experimenting and do whatever they wanted creatively because they had the power and will to do this.

Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 19:57

I snuck this post in as a sleeper cell (Akmed by praised) and I'm surprised by the response.

I would like to see the album ratings to include half stars. For example 3.5 stars instead of rounding off to 4.
mathematical rule says that anything with a .5 (half) should be rounded up to the next number except here on P.A. obviously this site is too prog for such rules.

Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 20:20

Sure, make a joke out of it, dimmy. 
 Fact is that there are illegal copies being sold there and that they are reported to e-Bay. Sometimes with, sometimes without success. Bottom line here is that they appear in ads on every band page on PA. Bands love the site for that, I can tell you.

What Angelo said and pointed out is a fact. This is true, P.A. on the album links for sellers has or had an illegal seller, the give away was that he was selling cd's in a jewel case for a band that only releases in digipack. This is a fact.
Illegal downloads happen we cannot stop this and somehow for the smaller artists they kind of help to spread the word too. When one downloads a bootleg they know they are doing so, they probably won't buy it anyway thus this method of sharing somehow is ok however promoting the sales of cd's which are fake this has more serious consequences, i.e. the band cannot guarantee the quality and the buyer is being fooled that it is an original copy, this is wrong.

Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 21:36

^ Who is ELP....new techno band??
A glitch duo that stabs knives into their turntables.

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 22:11
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

to date no band has been more groundbreaking compared to the Beatles Pinch they ended up experimenting and do whatever they wanted creatively because they had the power and will to do this.
That's it. They experimented, tried new things, broke the barriers etc. Whilst being a Pop-band. Hence the 'Proto' tag. Really, they can be anything you want them to be. I don't agree with them being a 'Progressive' band, however, I can't, for the life of me, disagree .

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 22:23

Nice save there, Sonia!

Yep, The Beatles offered ambitious pop music the likes of which the world had never heard before (and pretty amazing to think they were only around for about seven years or so), but nothing close to prog. It kind of bums me out when I see Beatles reviews pop up on the front page!

Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 22:29
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Nice save there, Sonia!

Yep, The Beatles offered ambitious pop music the likes of which the world had never heard before (and pretty amazing to think they were only around for about seven years or so), but nothing close to prog. It kind of bums me out when I see Beatles reviews pop up on the front page!
Wow Aussie-Byrd-Brother! Hello you, I missed you! HugHeart
Before prog came along there were the Beatles. The Beatles had more odd time than some bands that call themselves prog rock had. Listen to the beginning of Taxman sometime. Have you ever heard a song count in at a different tempo than the song actually starts in? If Happiness Is A Warm Gun isn't a precursor to more progressive rock (I knicked this comment btw), I don't know what is! Same goes for I Am The Walrus.Big smile

Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 22:32
Here comes the sun, this I dedicate to Moogtron III ApproveHug  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6j4TGqVl5g" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6j4TGqVl5g

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 22:38
Oh, I'm always bumbling around the Archives somewhere, Sonia! Some weeks I'll be very quiet, the next you can't shut me up!

I have no doubt that Beatles were ground-breaking (and I do love the `Magical Mystery Tour' album especially! ), but I wonder how many prog artists consider the Beatles a big influence on their `proggier' side?

Actually, better we get told off for getting a little too off topic , would you have heard this Transatlantic epic live where they incorporate part of the second side of the Beatles `Abbey Road' suite into the track?!

Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 22:43
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Oh, I'm always bumbling around the Archives somewhere, Sonia! Some weeks I'll be very quiet, the next you can't shut me up!

I have no doubt that Beatles were ground-breaking (and I do love the `Magical Mystery Tour' album especially! ), but I wonder how many prog artists consider the Beatles a big influence on their `proggier' side?

Actually, better we get told off for getting a little too off topic , would you have heard this Transatlantic epic live where they incorporate part of the second side of the Beatles `Abbey Road' suite into the track?!

Whoooohaaaa I love Transatlantic! Great post! Clap
Just quickly back to peeps who quoted the Beatles having influenced them i.e. According to Chris Squire of Yes, McCartney's melodic bass style was a driving force in his development as a bass player. Jon Anderson also cites The Beatles as a big influence. Big smileHug

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 00:09
Peter Cetera (Chicago) admired Macca and even Brian Wilson. In an interview, he spoke of Wilson " He just goes places no other bassist went ". And Pete is an awesome bassist.

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 09:59

If they really had the will to do this, they would have lasted much longer than 7yrs or so. They were too full of themselves to see the band that they were. Having time signature changes makes them not a prog band, nor even prog attribute.....Many non rock genres have time signature changes, let alone classical music is full of them.
I give them they were really good song writers and that is what people latched onto...they were an insanely popular pop/boy band and inclusion in PA is off base. We argue about bands that should be here that are prog and yet this full on pop band is in due to popularity.

Makes no sense..plus they sux....IMHO LOL

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 21:15

Have you ever heard a song count in at a different tempo than the song actually starts in?

You mean other than Taxman?  Sure! Wink

Begins in odd time and settles seamlessly into a syncopated 3/4.   Years and years after Taxman, yes, but this song, like maybe a 1000 other that he composed, was a hit and yes he was our Beatles.  Not prog but way more progressive than a large majority of artists listed on the PA database.  Prog =/= Progressive.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 21:28
I would NEVER abolish ratings.  I personally hate ratings and don't think the worth of an album can be quantified in a number.  But...but....doing away with ratings would be to yank PA too far away from the mainstream.  When I say mainstream, I don't mean Taylor Swift, to be clear.  I mean that there's literally no widely used interactive music website that does something like that.  RYM, Metal Archives, you name it.  IIRC All About Jazz does not rate albums but they also have a team of reviewers and not just anybody can go rate/review albums as they can on PA.  Ideally, I would like to see the metal-archives system on PA where a team of moderators vet and accept reviews.  It is undemocratic and can sometimes lead to furious debates, accusations and what not but it does help ensure a bare minimum quality in the reviews published on the website.  Unfortunately I don't think we have the 'resources' to be able to man such an activity so the current system is probably the best we can have.  

Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 01:46
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Peter Cetera (Chicago) admired Macca and even Brian Wilson. In an interview, he spoke of Wilson " He just goes places no other bassist went ". And Pete is an awesome bassist.
I know the latest conversation is about The Beatles, but to elaborate my Beatles/Cetera relation - Pete admired McCartney, a lot. Already by the very first Chicago (Transit Authority) album, he displayed a great degree of stamina and ability on the bass, which, gradually became quite technical by Chicago V, and reached its pinnacle on VII. There's a Beatles influence that was taken further. Perhaps without Macca's influence, Pete may have been an average guitarist ??
The importance of what The Beatles brought to the world of music is undeniable. They may not have been technical virtuosi, but their creativity and intelligence to think 'outside the box' planted seeds for the future generation, and still does.
I say this, and I only have a few Beatles vinyls.

Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 11:55
I have two Beatles albums, the blue dbl vinyl hits album and Sgt Pepper. My wife bought them cause she thought they would be worth millions one day.....I told her "silly goose, only things people want are worth millions honey...it's OK I still love you even though you blew $20.00.." LOL

-------------

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 13:31
If I could change one thing....hmmm, get rid of the photo of Arjen Lucassen on the main page Big smile.  Nothing against him, just tired of looking at it....

-------------

Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 13:56

mathematical rule says that anything with a .5 (half) should be rounded up to the next number except here on P.A. obviously this site is too prog for such rules.

That would change the rating system anyway - 5 stars is not 5 times as good a 1 star. The stars have a definition that is counter intuitive (so it has been flawed from the beginning), it is not a numerical system.

< ="" name="irate" id="irate" value="5"> Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music
< ="" name="irate" id="irate" value="4"> Excellent addition to any prog rock music collection
< ="" name="irate" id="irate" value="3"> Good, but non-essential
< ="" name="irate" id="irate" value="2"> Collectors/fans only
< ="" name="irate" id="irate" value="1"> Poor. Only for completionists

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 15:09
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

If I could change one thing....hmmm, get rid of the photo of Arjen Lucassen on the main page Big smile.  Nothing against him, just tired of looking at it....

LOL
Can't say I disagree with that.

I would open up band inclusion on the site to a vote by all registered menbers.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 15:59
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Absolutely. I would also strictly enforce a "majority vote" so that to be included a band would need 26,893 yes votes [based upon current tally of 53,785 registered members], of course that would significantly boost the sales/downloads/streams of every band suggested.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 16:02
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

You're not alone with that, not to mention I don't even like his music.

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 16:06
Oh and I forgot, the main archive's color scheme is not appealing.

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 16:46
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Absolutely. I would also strictly enforce a "majority vote" so that to be included a band would need 26,893 yes votes [based upon current tally of 53,785 registered members], of course that would significantly boost the sales/downloads/streams of every band suggested.

And there was me thinking you were an advocate of the AV system, Dean

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 17:26
Helmut Koellen would be included in the archives as either Prog-Related or Crossover Prog.
             (oh, well, I tried)

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 18:34
The endless debates about whether Artist X or Band Y is prog. They are tiresome, generally unproductive, and often in danger of turning into unpleasant confrontations. Personally, I'd rather see the site err on the site of inclusiveness than the other way round, especially when we are talking about music whose relationship/affinity with  prog is undeniable.

Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 18:38
don't forget our long desired #1 change to PA's darlin'.

the outlawing of the use of the word.. proggy... I HATE THAT DAMNED word AngryLOL

-------------

Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 18:40
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

LOL 

Number the boxes from 1 to 8 in the order of your choice:
[ ]... some space cadet with a casio keyboard and the biggest bag of weed his allowance will buy.
[ ]... an obscure Eastern European jazz-folk band
[ ]... a random band found on Youtube
[ ]... The Scorpions
[ ]... another, even more obscure, Eastern European jazz-folk band
[ ]... Kanye West's wife's dog walker's brother's friend's cousin's band
[ ]... Yet Another Power Metal band
[ ]... The Beach Boys

The problem with AV is not that only one of those bands would be included, it's that one of those bands would be included. Tongue

-------------
What?

Posted By: M@X
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 18:42
Watching this thread Thumbs Up

-------------
Prog On !

Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 18:55
be sure you read my posts then LOLWink

-------------

Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 18:56

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

LOL 

Number the boxes from 1 to 8 in the order of your choice:
[ ]... some space cadet with a casio keyboard and the biggest bag of weed his allowance will buy.
[ ]... an obscure Eastern European jazz-folk band
[ ]... a random band found on Youtube
[ ]... The Scorpions
[ ]... another, even more obscure, Eastern European jazz-folk band
[ ]... Kanye West's wife's dog walker's brother's friend's cousin's band
[ ]... Yet Another Power Metal band
[ ]... The Beach Boys

The problem with AV is not that only one of those bands would be included, it's that one of those bands would be included. Tongue
You left out: [ ]... polka bands that feature the theremin.

Posted By: Windhawk
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 19:08

You left out: [ ]... polka bands that feature the theremin.

-------------
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/

Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 19:11
^See. I told you that I know all of the cool underground stuff.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 19:16
Here's something that would probably get in sooner :-)

-------------
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:

Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 19:18
...and incidentally, some of those banjo bands are really good.

-------------
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:

Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 19:19
^This stuff is killer windhawk. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 19:20
Damn! I can't breath! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 21:00
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Ah, yes. Visually, the main site's not too great. I respect the work that the artist put into the collage, but don't really like the collage myself. Oh well. It's a hallmark of the site, I suppose. 

-------------

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 21:09
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Ah, yes. Visually, the main site's not too great. I respect the work that the artist put into the collage, but don't really like the collage myself. Oh well. It's a hallmark of the site, I suppose. 

Yeah, that Purple-Orange-White color combination really doesn't work well.

Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 22:55
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

...and incidentally, some of those banjo bands are really good.

oh man... that is classic!!  LOLClap

and yeah man...  some of them are scary good.. a personal headbanging shredfest fav of mine...LOL

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk