Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103128
Printed Date: April 30 2024 at 06:32
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Modern Battle of Albums Poll #22
Posted By: micky
Subject: Modern Battle of Albums Poll #22
Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 09:36
Poll #22.  One vote, top 2 vote getters move on to 2nd round to face each other. Vote for the album people.. not the group. If you don't know the album, ask, google, youtube it. Lots of great music here man...

From Sweden!!!!''

Paatos!! Clap

From Colorado!!!

Thinking Plague!!! Clap

From Belgium.. one of the few (only?) non neo-prog bands to have albums both in the Classic and modern polls.

PRESENT!! Clap

from somewhere here in the states

Mike Keneally

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Replies:
Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 09:38
Don't know Paatos and I'm not familiar with those Present or Keneally albums. More listening to do.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 09:38
I have to pick between Thinking Plague and Present? Aaaargh.

will hold my vote for whoever needs it.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 11:25
let's see ..familiar with one.. and walked out in the middle of his show.. likely not going to waste time there

know a bit of Thinking Plague (mainly through Raff) as well as Paatos but haven't listened to them in a long time.

never heard that Present album..

1 to expore anew.. 2 to give refreshers to..

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 11:31
Yikes! I have all four and enjoy them all. It's between Paatos and Thinking Plague and I think i'll take the latter today.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Atkingani
Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 12:45

-------------
Guigo

~~~~~~

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 14:12
That Paatos sample floored me...love it.Thumbs Up I have to check them out now. Although I like Plague, Present and Keneally, I prefer other albums for all three. So were voting for Paatos.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 14:17
Paatos, I adore Timeloss.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: t d wombat
Date Posted: July 04 2015 at 20:25
Thinking Plague made my ears bleed. Paatos deserves the win probably but I'll go with Present. Not ever likely to be a real favourite but it is interesting. Kedgeree did nothing for me.

My hangover may well be effecting decision making.

-------------
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 08:48
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

let's see ..familiar with one.. and walked out in the middle of his show.. likely not going to waste time there

know a bit of Thinking Plague (mainly through Raff) as well as Paatos but haven't listened to them in a long time.

never heard that Present album..

1 to expore anew.. 2 to give refreshers to..

so... starting with Present!!

-------------

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 09:09
ummm hmmm..  Mikey likes this... a lot

-------------

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 09:29
definitely giving this a big thumbs up... funny how my tastes have changed...  5 years ago I wouldn't have touched it with a 10' poll.  Could appreciate it... but never could really enjoy it.

-------------

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 09:32
next up...  Thinking Plague...  let's put my expanded 'tastes' to the test. Much of the stimulus for the shifting in my tastes was the fabulous (best of the bunch) Romantic Warriors movie that educated the ignorant like me of this great scene.

Raff was always more adventurous musically than me.. but I'm trying really hard to catch up.

-------------

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 09:38
I love Paatos sound....easy choice for me.  Kallocain was my favorite....it came with a live DVD and the percussionist blew me away

-------------

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 09:44
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

Thinking Plague made my ears bleed.

LOL  

-------------

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 09:52
As used as I am to "difficult" music, I find Thinking Plague one of the hardest bands to listen to - and not because they're bad (far from that!). Their music is far more dissonant than Univers Zero's, and embodies most of the characteristics of the RIO/Avant subgenre that often send people running for the exits.

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 10:01
yeah man... but my main tripping point.. which sort of goes back to what Ian and I chatted briefly about when talking about Disco Volante...  you really have to be a special case to love this stuff.  Get past the almost.. ingrained nature we have that music is for the soul and the heart.. one reason for all the crap I do give bad prog or generic prog.. the fact is there is simply nothing better. that the best of prog.

this stuff..  interesting.. but really only for those that see music with their brains.. and that is likely something I will never be able to do.

that said.. I can see where my tastes have shifted.. I'll never enjoy this stuff on a visceral level.. catch myself reaching for one of your T.P. album.. but yeah.. in a live setting.. or in a very occasional listen like this.. I can dig it.. .and that is a long way for me from 5 years ago when I would have sh*t all over this.  Going into one of my nasty 'over-intellectualism of music' rants that I was so famous for LOL

-------------

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 10:06
I love the style of music that Thinking Plague take on but personally I think there's just something missing from their music. I certianly enjoy it, but I don't love it.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 10:10
moving on to Paatos!!

I did... like.. the T.P album and that is high praise enough from me. I was never going to love it but again.. I didn't hate it and that is because the slight maturing of my tastes over the last few years I suppose.

-------------

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 11:04
well that is a hard vote...

something that I shouldn't love.. but really liked...

against

something I should love .. but only liked

giving it to the more adventurous of the two.

give me T.P

for my ears....

-------------

Posted By: GKR
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 11:48
I'll stick with Present. Enjoyed a lot.

-------------
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 13:31
so did I... 3 in this one I really enjoyed... all things being equal.... voted for the one I expected LEAST to like..

-------------

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 08:46
Paatos over MK, easily.

Enjoyed the samples from both TP and Present though.

-------------

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 13:36
Hmm, minority vote once again.
Well, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do
The clear winner for me is Mike Keneally

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 20:04
In Extremis

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 21:25
That Paatos is really really nice particularly the featured track, added to the to buy list.

Looks like Present aren't going to catch Paatos so a tactical vote for the outstanding Thinking Plague.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: July 07 2015 at 04:23
Timeloss easily.

-------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 08 2015 at 19:45
Present

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: July 10 2015 at 00:53

Paatos, Timeloss.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: July 10 2015 at 15:37
Not a big Keneally fan, while I find the remaining three albums very much to my taste. Though my vote will probably not be enough to make them advance, I choose Present.

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: July 11 2015 at 18:17
Timeloss

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk