Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 09:55
Stormwatch is so underrated

Replies:
Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 09:59
Songs From The Wood

Posted By: GKR
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 11:16
Hey, I really like "Stormwatch", Dark Ages are a suberp song. But the albums overall are 5, 4 and 3 stars respectivelly.

-------------
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Posted By: Daysbetween
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 11:24
I like all three albums but have voted for SFTW although my fave song from these is Heavy Horses.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 12:23
Heavy Horses has always been my favorite.  Sometimes I say I like SFtW as much because it is such a close second but when it comes to a vote for one or the other, it has to be HH.  Stormwatch is the too-oft overlooked younger sibling of these two but it is also an excellent album.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 12:28
SFTW

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 12:34
SFTW is one of my favorite albums from any band, so it gets my vote, but these are all essential, IMO. Stormwatch is excellent, and both it and Heavy Horses are underrated.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 12:40
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

Hey, I really like "Stormwatch", Dark Ages are a superb song. But the albums overall are 5, 4 and 3 stars respectively.
Exactly.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 12:47
Benefit!!  Thumbs Up folk-ROCK at its best.. at their best.. all down hill from there man...RIP Glenn... Tull lost something musical with him..

the rest... ehhh..

give me Pentangle for authentic English folk.... with better musicians LOLCool

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 13:41
Stormwatch doesn't have a chance, Heavy Horses was never going to beat Songs.... but is actually not that far behind it IMO.

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 15:16
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Benefit!!  Thumbs Up folk-ROCK at its best.. at their best.. all down hill from there man...RIP Glenn... Tull lost something musical with him..

the rest... ehhh..

A Benefit fan! Finally!

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 16:31

the rest... ehhh..

A Benefit fan! Finally!

Heh...I've been raving about Benefit on the forum for over 2 years. Not sure it's their best,  but it is my personal favorite. More rock than folk ...imho.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: fudgenuts64
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 16:39
Songs From The Wood. Great folky music.
Heavy Horses is really good too. Particularly the title track might be a top 5 Jethro Tull track for me. But album wise Songs From The Wood wins. Stormwatch never did anything for me except the absolutely wonderful Elegy.

-------------

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 16:39
Heavy Horse and SFTW are equally fine, both masterpieces, so I really cannot choose between them.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 16:40
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

the rest... ehhh..

A Benefit fan! Finally!

Heh...I've been raving about Benefit on the forum for over 2 years. Not sure it's their best,  but it is my personal favorite. More rock than folk ...imho.

Oh, sorry Dr. Wu. At least we are three now. Its one of my favorites as well.

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 17:07
Horses

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 17:09
Heavy Horses then Stormwatch then Songs from the wood

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 17:16

Oh, sorry Dr. Wu. At least we are three now. Its one of my favorites as well.

There a lots of them here. The thing being they, unlike myself, recognized the album wasn't an option here thus stayed out the thread LOLLOLWink

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 17:30
We totally distort the topic LOL

-------------

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 17:42
that is one of the oldest and most cherished traditions of prog archives.. take a poll that has been 1000 times already.. and make something new of it.  Sometimes it evolves into nothing, as this would have if you hadn't dropped in, other times it gets fun when someone takes offense and draws down on the offender, other times it can actually turn into a good disucssion if someone runs with the intent.

ie why were the early Tulll so much better than those late 70s's.. or vise versa.. but it is has been a long time I suspect since people have been around that are interested or simply capable of discussing such things. SOme people just like what they like are our incapable of expressing why..

-------------

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 18:00
Dunno how SFTW is rated so highly. Heavy horses has more balls and should always win

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 18:08
Low number of reviews. Same trouble with "A Passion Play", for example, that almost 80% of votes are based on 4 or 5 stars, but few reviews have been written to boost the note.

-------------

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 18:15
Even though it's somewhat overrated, Songs From The Wood. Heavy Horses is in the same league but SFTW has the edge; haven't heard Stormwatch in a while, but it never grabbed me back then. Prefer virtually everything previous to this whole trilogy (apart from things like War Child, This Was) Confused

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 22:42
Songs from the Wood for me, easily. I feel that with Heavy Horses, and even more so with Stormwatch, Tull (or Anderson) started to loose his creativity, and the band started sounding tired and repetitive of itself.

Date Posted: July 05 2015 at 22:46
Yeah, thats Tull. Not only Anderson.

In 1980 they were going to give Jethro Tull a break - Barrie was going to re-reform Carmen with Glascock and Allen, but Glascock died and John Evans and David Palmer were going to form a band that no one wanted to sign out.

Then the three received a letter saying that they were fired from the band and "A" became a Jethro Tull album.

Sadly.

(its in the documentary they launched in 2008).

-------------

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 00:05
all 3 with a plus on Songs

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 01:22
I'd be lying if I didn't vote Songs From The Wood. As great as the other 2 are (on par with each other for me) SFTW was an immediate winner. The other two titles took their time to win me over.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 08:45
love all 3 pretty much equally

voted for the Horses

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 08:53
Three gems from the extensive Tull catalog. Songs from the Woods or Heavy Horses would take my vote, depending on the mood I'm in, and Stormwatch would take second, but not by much. All three excellent albums.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 12:29
I'll take all three, thanks.

-------------

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 12:44
Stormwatch by a mile...Dark Ages & Flying Dutchman are Tull classics Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 13:15
Songs from the Wood is a beaut, but Stormwatch is right behind it.

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 14:32

that is one of the oldest and most cherished traditions of prog archives.. take a poll that has been 1000 times already.. and make something new of it.  Sometimes it evolves into nothing, as this would have if you hadn't dropped in, other times it gets fun when someone takes offense and draws down on the offender, other times it can actually turn into a good disucssion if someone runs with the intent.

ie why were the early Tulll so much better than those late 70s's.. or vise versa.. but it is has been a long time I suspect since people have been around that are interested or simply capable of discussing such things. SOme people just like what they like are our incapable of expressing why..

Some of these polls have been done to death.......regarding Tull imho the early ones are their best.
I think Anderson excelled at writing the relatively short lyrical song with catchy music and when they went to the longer things like Thick and Passion Play they missed the mark. The playing was excellent on the longer things but  the concepts and presentations were  too over the top and pretentious imho.
I don't really listen to anything after Stormwatch these days and rarely to TAAB or PP.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 14:38
As a Tull fan I'am (I even play the flute and have a "A Passion Play" poster) I accepted much of what they produced, and face the band as different bands from different periods. I love the early albums, have a special feeling from Aqualung, TAAB and APP, and Minstrel... suberb.

Only a few albums I do avoid. As "Under Wraps" and "Catfish Rising", that has few material I enjoy. "Roots to Branches" should be seen as one of the gret 1990's progressive works and I also accepted as "ok" "J-Tull Dot Com".

I could go hours and hours on Tull, but I'll let the polls do the talk.

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 07 2015 at 00:51
I love 'A' a lot, on par with Stormwatch.

Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: July 07 2015 at 03:12

the rest... ehhh..

Pentangle were always a little less than the sum of their parts imo. Wonderful ambivalent English folk songs made a tiny bit too shiny and not quite hitting the mark the way Martin Carthy, Bert Jansch solo or Nic Jones would. Hell, or even Odetta, who's probably the most underrated musician in folk history (amazing guitarist, not that anyone notices that under the voice). Same problem as Simon & Garfunkel's take on Scarborough Fair... beautiful guitar part but the vocal and the added lyrics rob the mystery from it.

That said, Benefit is clearly the Tull folk triumph. Of these, I think Heavy Horses and Stormwatch are both far better than Songs From The Wood, which has always struck me as having a bit of a woodsy affectation rather than a real connection with folk. I still kinda reckon that A Passion Play did for Ian Anderson as a composer... he never really hit the everything-going-on-all-the-time business again, probably deliberately.

Date Posted: July 07 2015 at 03:18
Stormwatch has the coolest and most bonus tracks from the folk trology. Hopefully Blues instrumental is added to the Heavy Horses remix. As a band producing quantity and quality of songs per year taken from latest remixes 1970-75 and remasters 1976-79, I rate these years the following(original album rating in brackets):

1970-4.2 star(3.5)
1971-4.4 star(3.7)
1972-4.5 star(4.5)
1973-4.3 star(4)
1974-4.3 star(3.5)
1975-3.6 star(3.4)
1976-3.7 star(3.4)
1977-4.1 star(4)
1978-4.3 star(4.2)
1979-4.2 star(3.9)

-------------

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: July 07 2015 at 04:12
SFTW.

-------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: July 07 2015 at 16:07
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

I'll take all three, thanks.
Yep!

Voted Heavy Horses though.

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: Big Kid Josie
Date Posted: July 07 2015 at 16:19
In particular, I love me some Songs from the Wood, which was the highest ranked album on PA by the "Big 6" for that year (and deservedly so).  Also, Tull released fine quality albums every year from 68 past the end of the 70's, while many of the other bands were releasing solo albums (Yes) or taking hiatuses (ELP, KC) for parts of that decade...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk