Print Page | Close Window

Emerson and Wakeman

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103155
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 17:47
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Emerson and Wakeman
Posted By: Big Kid Josie
Subject: Emerson and Wakeman
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 16:24
I know, I know...these guys did their best work 35-45 years ago and aren't relevant to new prog fans, but humor me, I'm an old child of the 70's.

ELP was the first prog band I got into and my initial opinion was that Keith Emerson was hands-down the greatest keyboard man in prog, with Wakeman, Moraz, Lord, Fritz distant top 5 candidates.  Keyboard Magazine and keyboard players I knew seemed to feel the same way.  I certainly think Emo was, in his prime, an original, genre-defining player in early prog.  His technical playing and showmanship originally led me to value him highly over, say, Rick Wakemen.  But, after BSS, ELP seemed to fizzle out and lose inspiration.  I've been listening to a lot of early Wakeman solo albums lately---Six Wives, Journey, King Arthur, etc. and have been struck by how well-composed they are.  Now, Emo could compose with the best of them early on...Tarkus, KE9, etc.---but he seemed to fade out and not produce much except the soundtracks and occasional ELP reunion album. 

But I'm almost struck by the feeling that Wakeman was a better---or at least equally as good of a---composer as Emo.  I haven't heard much past his early stuff and the Recollections anthology, but I know Wakeman has certainly put out a lot of solo material.  While I gather that some/a lot of it is sub-par to the early 70's solo albums, it seems like even if 10% of it was good, he's a more prolific composer than Emo.

I know personal preference plays into this tremendously, but---as objectively as you can make it---do you think Wakeman was the better composer of the two, even if Emerson was technically more skilled? 

Replies:
Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 18:46
I've never bothered arguing which of the two is better (some say Moraz is better than either/both). Wakeman's recorded plenty of great music since the 70s, and he's far and away the more prolific composer of the two. There's another thread where I posted a list of post-1970s albums of Rick's that I think are great. I'll find it and paste it here later.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 21:11
I much prefer Emerson to Wakeman. My comparison is based mainly on their 1970s work, which is still a very relevant period for me, personally. 
            I must say that I like the playing and composing of Jurgen Fritz the most, though. Never a single banal note.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 06 2015 at 22:28
I like Wakeman better, both at playing and at composing. He's got far more albums and songs that I really like than ELP/Emerson. If you would like to check out something great from Rick after the 70's, check out "Out There", just a wonderful album too.

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: July 07 2015 at 04:11
I've always preferred Wakeman, although I am a massive Yes fanboi. Both are stellar musicians.

-------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: July 07 2015 at 04:35
I refuse to choose GeekLOL .
I always say I have four favorite keyboardists:

Rick Wakeman
Keith Emerson
Tony Banks
The guy from my avatar

Impossible to choose for me.
Maybe I should even add a nr. 5, since my love for Canterbury has grown through the years: Dave Stewart (Egg, Khan, Hatfield, National Health, Bruford etc.)

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 24 2015 at 02:58
''Keith Who?'' LOL 

Wakeman pretty much jumped in and defined keyboard prog with Six Wives which is basically a perfect album technically and compositionally.

Emerson though is my long time hero. Tarkus..WOW! still remember playing that thing to death when I was 14 and still not bored zillion of plays later. When Emerson caught fire it was something else. I think a major part of his early success with ELP was down to Carl Palmer. Palmer pushed him to the absolute limit and I think one of the issues with Wakeman over the years is that he is not surrounding himself with stellar musicians like Palmer. I do like Out There though and the 2 Retro albums. Emerson though has produced some good solo albums with Marc Bonilla which should not be discounted.

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: July 24 2015 at 03:23
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Tarkus..WOW! still remember playing that thing to death when I was 14 and still not bored zillion of plays later.

It never gets boring after zillions of plays. One of the best pieces of music ever recorded

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: July 24 2015 at 03:40
I'd prefer Keith Emerson playing, but I'd probably have a better night out if I went to "An Audience With Rick Wakeman".
I also love (Can't find the link) but in an online article, Keith was considered an influence on the creator of the soundtrack to the video game Final Fantasy VII, Nobuo Uematsu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7wJ8pE2qKU This is from the final battle with the game boss and I think it's like something out of Tarkus between 2.14 and 3.22.

There's even an old thread on PA about the music from Final Fantasy and Keith Emerson's influence here:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17714

And if you have ever played the game or lived with someone who has, make your Friday complete by bringing them to tears with this golden moment from the Final Fantasy VII soundtrack that if it appeared on an ELP album, wouldn't have seen them as easy to destroy when Punk broke!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgAhcIBgkfk
OH GOD! IT'S GOT TEARS IN MY EYES TOO! I FORGOT THE FEELS!!

Date Posted: July 24 2015 at 21:50

''Keith Who?'' LOL 

Wakeman pretty much jumped in and defined keyboard prog with Six Wives which is basically a perfect album technically and compositionally.

Emerson though is my long time hero. Tarkus..WOW! still remember playing that thing to death when I was 14 and still not bored zillion of plays later. When Emerson caught fire it was something else. I think a major part of his early success with ELP was down to Carl Palmer. Palmer pushed him to the absolute limit and I think one of the issues with Wakeman over the years is that he is not surrounding himself with stellar musicians like Palmer. I do like Out There though and the 2 Retro albums. Emerson though has produced some good solo albums with Marc Bonilla which should not be discounted.

Well, when Wakeman has been with Yes he was surrounded by stellar musicians, specially on the two albums still with Bruford. None of them were inferior to either Emerson or Palmer.

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: July 24 2015 at 22:59
I enjoy Wakeman's playing honestly much more. perhaps it's because I'm more familiar with his work but I don't know.

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Posted By: Gentle Yes
Date Posted: July 26 2015 at 05:19
Personally I also believe that Jurgen Fritz from Triumvirat is one of the greatest. Many would say that he is heavily inspired by Emmerson, and in general that Tirumvirat is a clone of ELP, but (beaing a fan of both Elp and Triumvirat) I think that Fritz took the ''chaotic'' and chromatic composing style of Emmerson and made it go to eleven :P. There is a more classical and melodic approach with all the ''heavy'' prog elements.. I would recommend Illusions of a simple dimple, and specifically the song Mister ten percent. Amazing music and keyboard performance! 

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: July 28 2015 at 21:01
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I refuse to choose GeekLOL .
I always say I have four favorite keyboardists:

Rick Wakeman
Keith Emerson
Tony Banks
The guy from my avatar

Impossible to choose for me.
Maybe I should even add a nr. 5, since my love for Canterbury has grown through the years: Dave Stewart (Egg, Khan, Hatfield, National Health, Bruford etc.)

Right there with you, Moogtron III!  Definitely my five favorites!  I would place Banks, Wakeman, and Jobson above Emerson (not in any particular order - maybe Banks and Jobson slightly above Wakeman as their string-instrument playing [Banks on guitar and Jobson on violin] no doubt extend the breadth of their composition abilities), with Stewart following closely behind...

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: July 29 2015 at 00:00
While I love Wakeman's work in the Yes framework on Fragile through Tormato, I've always ranked Emo much higher for his work during the Nice era through Works.  Outside of the 70's and on the solo album front, I don't really care for the work of either.  From a compositional to technically physical ability level, Emo comes way out on top for me.  

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: July 29 2015 at 02:28
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

''Keith Who?'' LOL 

Well, when Wakeman has been with Yes he was surrounded by stellar musicians, specially on the two albums still with Bruford. None of them were inferior to either Emerson or Palmer.

agreed so I was really thinking more about his solo career . I would argue that Wakeman's best album with Yes was Going For The One probably because he gets to play pipe organSmile

Posted By: Omnicis
Date Posted: July 29 2015 at 13:25
I was trained in Piano for 14 years, and Emerson's playing definitely stands out to me as good, but there is nothing he has played that I dont feel confident I can play.

But thats true about most non-classical, 2 handed works.

After a certain point, it doesn't make sense to compare them in a 1 dimensional "who has more skill", because they probably have their own strengths and weaknesses pertaining to which specific techniques they are good at.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: July 29 2015 at 13:26
Tony Banks.

Posted By: terramystic
Date Posted: July 29 2015 at 16:36
Both are technically very skilled. I think Emerson did a better job in composing. Wakeman was good in supplementing compositions by others in Yes.

Date Posted: July 29 2015 at 22:24

''Keith Who?'' LOL 

agreed so I was really thinking more about his solo career . I would argue that Wakeman's best album with Yes was Going For The One probably because he gets to play pipe organSmile

For me, it's the two albums with Bruford... they may just as well be the pinnacle of prog for my taste. Plus, Wakeman did play pipe organ on the CttE title track too (though perhaps it was not as prominent as on Awaken).

Date Posted: July 29 2015 at 22:25
Originally posted by terramystic terramystic wrote:

Both are technically very skilled. I think Emerson did a better job in composing. Wakeman was good in supplementing compositions by others in Yes.

Actually, I like 6 Wives and Arthur much more than any album released by ELP, so I wouldn't really agree about the composing thing. I guess I could add to that list also Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Criminal Record, and Out There.

Date Posted: July 30 2015 at 09:56

"Parallels" and "Awaken" are two of Yes' finest songs, no debate required. Wink

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: July 30 2015 at 10:07

One thing to keep in mind is how much Emerson adapted (whether you want to say "plagiarized" is up to you) to a rock context for ELP. Some of this material was credited to the original composer, some it was solely credited to ELP, like Janacek's "Sinfonietta" for "Knife Edge." Other composers Emerson adapted or "borrowed" from are Ginastera, Bartok, Copland, Bach, and so on. Apart from Mussorgsky, I was unaware of this when I first started listening to ELP. After I learned of it, I was still alright with it, it didn't intervene in my enjoyment of the music to any degree.

I do have to admit being slightly disappointed when I learned Emerson didn't write the keyboard melody that anchors "Touch and Go," though.

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 05:15
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

One thing to keep in mind is how much Emerson adapted (whether you want to say "plagiarized" is up to you) to a rock context for ELP.

Yes, he did this a lot. Wakeman composed more original pieces BUT I think Emerson's original compositions surpass Wakeman's.

Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 11:06

One thing to keep in mind is how much Emerson adapted (whether you want to say "plagiarized" is up to you) to a rock context for ELP.

Yes, he did this a lot. Wakeman composed more original pieces BUT I think Emerson's original compositions surpass Wakeman's.

Wakeman had to share the spotlight with three other writers in Yes. ELP is by and large the "Keith Emerson Show," except where they made room for Greg's ballads.

IMO, Emerson never recorded anything under his own name that can match Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry VIII or Criminal Record (which I think is even better).

-------------

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 13:28
My favorite keyboarder is this:

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 13:34
^Well she looks a great deal more interesting than Wakeman and EmersonApprove

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 14:15
Want to hear her play? Go here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsW3V4rrRsw" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsW3V4rrRsw

She goes into solo flight at about 5:50

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 14:21
^I love Barbara Dennerlein! She is literally Hot Stuff.

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 15:05

I'll find it and paste it here later.

I'm on pins and needles.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 16:00
Ah, this brings back the nostalgia of the Emerson vs. Wakeman pissing contest of the '70s. ELP and Yes fans were locked in mortal combat over which keyboardist was better, even though most loved both, and the media got to fan the flames. This was part of what propelled these bands to such grand heights, and it was always a fun topic of discussion. Being a fine pair of gentlemen, however, Emerson and Wakeman stayed far above the fray and were more than happy to bask in the limelight.

Comparing the two keyboardists is really a case of apples and oranges - they are both top-flight virtuosos, but each has a completely different style. Wakeman was amazing to see solo during the mid '70s - his playing was so fluid and effortless, and the jokes and stories he told between pieces were a blast. Emerson was something completely different - controlled chaos, a Moog modular wired to blow, and that poor abused organ that got tossed all over the stage. 

Those were fun days, indeed, and each left me with vivid memories of their performances that I expect will stick with me for the rest of my life.

Posted By: SquonkHunter
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 21:13
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

Comparing the two keyboardists is really a case of apples and oranges - they are both top-flight virtuosos, but each has a completely different style...Those were fun days, indeed, and each left me with vivid memories of their performances that I expect will stick with me for the rest of my life.

Exactly. Two very talented musicians with two very different styles. About the only thing their playing had in common were the keyboards. Loved them both then and still do today.

-------------
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."

Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 22:16

Wakeman had to share the spotlight with three other writers in Yes. ELP is by and large the "Keith Emerson Show," except where they made room for Greg's ballads.

IMO, Emerson never recorded anything under his own name that can match Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry VIII or Criminal Record (which I think is even better).

I'm afraid I know very little solo Emerson (only the one with Mark Bonilla, which I did enjoy), so I couldn't really compare his solo career with any of Wakeman albums... however, I do like those two Wakeman albums (and a few other's too) over any ELP album.

Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 01:24
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I'll find it and paste it here later.

I'm on pins and needles.

LOL

Sorry about that.

The Burning
G'olé!
The Family Album
Night Airs (solo piano)
Wakeman with Wakeman
The Heritage Suite (solo piano)
No Expense Spared (2nd Wakeman with Wakeman album)
Official Bootleg Live (W w/ W live)
The Piano Album
Themes
White Rock II
Out There
Revisited
Retro
Retro 2
Six Wives of Henry VIII Live at Hampton Court Palace

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 10:52

I don't know most of Wakeman's albums but I've listened to the ones that are supposed to be the best.
For example Six Wives is good but for me nothing comes close to Tarkus, Endless Enigma, Karn Evil or even Piano Concerto (a great achievement for a rock musician).

Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 13:37

I don't know most of Wakeman's albums but I've listened to the ones that are supposed to be the best.
For example Six Wives is good but for me nothing comes close to Tarkus, Endless Enigma, Karn Evil or even Piano Concerto (a great achievement for a rock musician).

I understand and respect your opinion. I was mainly comparing solo works with solo works, as opposed to their bands. Yes and ELP both recorded such incredible music. The 1970s were an amazing time. Keith and Rick have recorded and released great music after the '70s, too. I think their film music is underrated. At the very least, Inferno and G'olé! deserve a listen.

It's been said that Rick couldn't play "a blue note" if his life depended on it, while Emerson has been stuck in a rut for decades. People say many things, but all I know is that "Close to the Edge," "Gates of Delirium," "Awaken," "The Endless Enigma," "Tarkus" and "Karn Evil 9," among others, were so bar-raising, so trail-blazing, it's no wonder they sound as vital today, four decades later.

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 21:22

From the songs you listed, the only one I actually like is Tarkus, and that one might be at the level of the music on Six Wives... but on that album, I like just about all of the music recorded, and the song Tarkus has that ridiculous middle section that just breaks the flow of great music for me.

Date Posted: August 04 2015 at 03:16

I understand and respect your opinion. I was mainly comparing solo works with solo works, as opposed to their bands. Yes and ELP both recorded such incredible music /.../

Then I agree.

Date Posted: August 05 2015 at 02:20

From the songs you listed, the only one I actually like is Tarkus, and that one might be at the level of the music on Six Wives... but on that album, I like just about all of the music recorded, and the song Tarkus has that ridiculous middle section that just breaks the flow of great music for me.

That organ 'popping' was one of the things that excited me about ELP at first. SO original and only a very gifted organist could pull that off imo

However that section was smoothed out somewhat on the live version from the triple album and in fact just about all the live versions I've heard. I guess Emerson may have come to the same conclusion.

Back on the general subject ELP was Emersons band while Yes clearly wasn't Wakemans. I think this made a massive difference to the creative output where Emerson was able to express himself fully in ELP while Wakeman did it as a solo artist. I must admit Six Wives shocked me when I first heard it (because it was so good) and I've always wondered what Emerson thought of that album. Wakeman did steel Emerson's thunder but then future solo album never quite hit that level again (again imo). I would however favourably compare Judas Iscariot to Piano Concerto No 1 , both being highly accomplished classical works by super talented rock musicians. I wonder where can you go from there?

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 05 2015 at 13:57
The parts I like by both on keyboards with ELP -Emerson and Wakeman - Yes...I like Emerson better ,but he was much more in the front in his 3 piece band.
I think ultimately Wakeman shined on his earlier solo work which Emerson never seemed to achieve.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: August 05 2015 at 22:00

That organ 'popping' was one of the things that excited me about ELP at first. SO original and only a very gifted organist could pull that off imo

However that section was smoothed out somewhat on the live version from the triple album and in fact just about all the live versions I've heard. I guess Emerson may have come to the same conclusion.

Back on the general subject ELP was Emersons band while Yes clearly wasn't Wakemans. I think this made a massive difference to the creative output where Emerson was able to express himself fully in ELP while Wakeman did it as a solo artist. I must admit Six Wives shocked me when I first heard it (because it was so good) and I've always wondered what Emerson thought of that album. Wakeman did steel Emerson's thunder but then future solo album never quite hit that level again (again imo). I would however favourably compare Judas Iscariot to Piano Concerto No 1 , both being highly accomplished classical works by super talented rock musicians. I wonder where can you go from there?

I would put Myths and Legends, at least, at the same level as 6 Wives, perhaps even a bit higher (there are some songs that I don't like so much on Arthur, but some others that I like much more, like the opener). Then I guess it would have to be Criminal Record and Out There, and then Journey. Then there are some other great albums, or songs from some albums, but those are the ones that really stand out for me... as far as I know them.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk