Print Page | Close Window

Benefit by Jethro Tull

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103171
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 08:37
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Benefit by Jethro Tull
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: Benefit by Jethro Tull
Date Posted: July 07 2015 at 16:53
I picked up this album immediately after buying Aqualung and thought wtf?, but it has slowly grown on me over the years and I now view it as an early JT classic. What's you opinion of Benefit?

Replies:
Posted By: GKR
Date Posted: July 07 2015 at 17:16
I have the same exact opinion!

The sound grew on me, perhaps because of the intimist lyrics. I believe that its one of the strongest albums of Tull. There is little to dislike, but there is little space to breath as well.

One of my favourites, always in a good place of my heart. Smile

-------------
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: July 07 2015 at 17:36
It's an underrated gem!

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: July 07 2015 at 17:42
Killer rec, very metal.  Love it.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: July 07 2015 at 17:52
I'll repeat here, with more emphasis what I said in the "Stand Up" topic:

DO your reviews of the album! I love to read'em and Benefit deserves better rating!

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: July 07 2015 at 19:15
The albums just prior and after, Stand Up and Aqualung, far exceed Benefit in scope and compositional power. I consider both great albums, Benefit not so much.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: July 08 2015 at 02:55
Teacher, witches promise, sossity tull goodies

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: July 08 2015 at 04:03
Solid and underrated!

-------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: July 08 2015 at 07:59
Only listened to it once, didn't impress me back then, so I layed it aside.
Of course, I gave up to soon, keeping in mind that Stand Up is one of my favorite albums. Not just Tull, but in general.
Now that I read the comments in this thread, I know I should listen some more to the album, see if it grows on me too.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: July 08 2015 at 08:30
I could never get into this one, for some reasons... It's my fave line-up, and yet, this was a huge disâppointlment after the outstanding Stand Up. Maybe because it's more experimental rthan SU, but i find a lot of that sweet roundness present on SU was replaced by a square hardness that they would only master with aqualung.

Easily their weakest in their first six releases (incl LitP), IMHO

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: July 08 2015 at 09:30
I seem to be in a minority here... Benefit is my favourite Tull album. It has a kind of autumnal atmosphere that appeals to me.

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: July 08 2015 at 09:44
Originally posted by Kirillov Kirillov wrote:

I seem to be in a minority here... Benefit is my favourite Tull album. It has a kind of autumnal atmosphere that appeals to me.
Actually no, it's my fav too.Thumbs Up
Really digging ""For Michael Collins, Jeffrey and Me" lately.

Posted By: A_Flower
Date Posted: July 08 2015 at 09:47
Benifit is one of there best albums. All the songs are amazing... I should do a review of it sometime

Date Posted: July 08 2015 at 10:12
Do it! Big smile

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 08 2015 at 16:38
My personal favorite by Tull.
It has everything that makes Tull great: rock, folk, proggy things, and superb lyrics. I have always thought they (Anderson) excelled at  songs with great observational lyrics that weren't too long.
With You There To Help me, To Cry You A Song, and the phenomenal Nothing To Say it is the epitome of prime Tull.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 08 2015 at 16:48
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

My personal favorite by Tull.
It has everything that makes Tull great: rock, folk, proggy things, and superb lyrics. I have always thought they (Anderson) excelled at  songs with great observational lyrics that weren't too long.
With You There To Help me, To Cry You A Song, and the phenomenal Nothing To Say it is the epitome of prime Tull.

Clap amen brother... with one slight edit LOL  The best song they ever did.. and the epitome of what was Tull without the bloated artiness that infected their later prime years material. Not to mention this was the best line up musically they had with the addition of John Evan to the stellar rhythm section of Bunker and Cornick.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: July 08 2015 at 18:30
A bit underrated in the world of Tull albums, this one. Better than the preceding, and the following, one, IMO. Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: July 08 2015 at 19:43
Ok, Micky, now I believe when you said thge other day that there were a lot of Benefit fans!

And I continue to urge you guys to do your reviews of Benefit!

Seriously, I really read them.

-------------

Posted By: t d wombat
Date Posted: July 08 2015 at 19:55
There was a Tull doco (Classic Artists maybe ?) I watched a month or so back that inspired me to listen to some of their later stuff. To be honest most of it left me pretty much unmoved. Back in the day I basically gave up on them after labouring through to Minstrel. Anywho, listening to the first three yesterday I was a bit surprised how well Benefit held up, and hold up it most certainly did though Aqualung remains my favourite.

-------------
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: July 08 2015 at 23:51
Probably my fourth favorite Tull album, after Thick As A Brick, Aqualung and Stand Up. I think this is the first album where Anderson was really starting tho shine as a lyricist, as shown with "With You There To Help Me", "For Michael Collins, Jeffery And Me", "To Cry You A Song", "A Time For Everything?", "Sossity, You're A Woman", "Witches Promise" and "Teacher".

BTW, I sometimes go to Cup Of Wonder, a site that analyzes Tull songs. For some reason, they haven't done "Witches Promise" or "Teacher" on there. 

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: July 10 2015 at 20:45
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

Ok, Micky, now I believe when you said thge other day that there were a lot of Benefit fans!

And I continue to urge you guys to do your reviews of Benefit!

Seriously, I really read them.

I actually did review it here a few years back. Gave it 4 stars at the time, although lately I would give it at least a 4.5. Almost tempted to award it a 5 star status as it is my fav by them, but I should give it a few fresh spins first. 

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: July 22 2015 at 23:27
I won't bore you by writing too much here. So l'll bore you with my linked review of the wonderful album that is Benefit...............
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=393026" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=393026

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: July 23 2015 at 08:30
I'm in agreement with the earlier post that "With You there to Help me" might be the best song they ever did.
I bought the album decades ago but ultimately I couldn't stomach Ian's voice all the way through.  I could handle it on side 1 but that was it.  I remember "nothing to say" being a beauty also, and maybe one or 2 others.  I need to listen again

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 23 2015 at 08:49
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I'm in agreement with the earlier post that "With You there to Help me" might be the best song they ever did.
I bought the album decades ago but ultimately I couldn't stomach Ian's voice all the way through.  I could handle it on side 1 but that was it.  I remember "nothing to say" being a beauty also, and maybe one or 2 others.  I need to listen again

As I said earlier in the thread 'Nothing To Say' is one of my all time favorite songs....not just by Tull but from all the things I like over the years.
Benefit is a killer album and imho better than all the later 'proggier' ones that Tull fans rave about. If I could keep only one Tull album it would be Benefit.
Smile

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: July 23 2015 at 15:10
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

As I said earlier in the thread 'Nothing To Say' is one of my all time favorite songs....not just by Tull but from all the things I like over the years.
Benefit is a killer album and imho better than all the later 'proggier' ones that Tull fans rave about. If I could keep only one Tull album it would be Benefit.
Smile

Yeah those first 2 tracks are as good as anything that begins any album anytime.  I just listened for the first time in ages and my observation is that, while this is obviously a rock band, and even occasionally a hard rock band, there is a sensitive singer songwriter aspect to some of it that is very appealing, and missing from most other Tull I've heard.  About half is brilliant IMO - the first couple of tracks, To Cry you a song, Teacher and Sossity.  Geez that last track could have been the best Shawn Phillips song he never did

Date Posted: July 23 2015 at 17:41
Nice to see a re-freshed opinion.

Benefit is one of the Tull albums I most go back now and then... its a bit dark and foggy...

-------------

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: July 23 2015 at 18:25
I'm a huge fan of Benefit. It has this strange feeling no other JT albums has, this is very special album. Total gem, total masterpiece. No weak tracks here. 5 + stars!

Date Posted: July 23 2015 at 18:29
I guess I give it 4 stars... well, I changed from 4 to 5 when I read the Roots to Branches review of Steve G.

I may do that with Benefit as well. LOL

-------------

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: July 23 2015 at 18:37

I guess I give it 4 stars... well, I changed from 4 to 5 when I read the Roots to Branches review of Steve G.

I may do that with Benefit as well. LOL

I just now listening Roots To Branches because of Steve G review Smile

Date Posted: July 23 2015 at 18:55
"Steve G's Tull Revolution: a PA saga" - soon in the bookshops.

-------------

Date Posted: July 23 2015 at 19:08

"Steve G's Tull Revolution: a PA saga" - soon in the bookshops.

and soon to the discount bins... like 90& of Dull releases LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: July 23 2015 at 19:21
Oh no, you didnt.

Are you sure you want to be my enemy Micky?

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: July 23 2015 at 19:24
^ Hey even non-dull releases end up in the discount bin.  In the words of Salieri; "if the public doesn't like one's work, one has to accept the fact gracefully."

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: July 23 2015 at 19:30

Oh no, you didnt.

hey...  I'm making lots of them it seems LOL. What is one more. Wink For old times sake.  None of you have the venom of the old admin team.. so beware.  I've been attacked and hated upon by the best.

-------------

Date Posted: July 23 2015 at 19:32
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Hey even non-dull releases end up in the discount bin.  In the words of Salieri; "if the public doesn't like one's work, one has to accept the fact gracefully."

I like that...  I might have to use that as a new signature! Clap

-------------

Date Posted: July 23 2015 at 19:40
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Oh no, you didnt.

hey...  I'm making lots of them it seems LOL. What is one more. Wink For old times sake.  None of you have the venom of the old admin team.. so beware.  I've been attacked and hated upon by the best.

I'll start to assemble my weaponry, then.

-------------

Date Posted: July 23 2015 at 19:43
bring it on!!!!  that is the spirit man!!  Let's see what you've got...Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: charles_ryder
Date Posted: September 20 2015 at 12:50
Great album. Mayby the best Tull album.

-------------
om mani padme hum

Posted By: progrockdeepcuts
Date Posted: September 20 2015 at 14:15
Very, very good album, but not up to the standards of what was to come! Wink

-------------

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: September 20 2015 at 15:19
Haven't heard it. 

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: September 20 2015 at 15:47
My favorite Tull-album no doubt. Songwriting is pure class from start to finish. Ians finest singing, great lyrics, atmosphere and warmth. Ten classic songs. 

Also every bonus song I've gotten on various reissues is just as golden. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 20 2015 at 15:52
yep... when Tull was most certainly most not Dull. And definitely before Anderson's ego got the best of him and he packed the band full of cronies and the band became became a hyper-productive and thus mediocre vehicle for one Ian Anderson.

hah. Tongue

-------------

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: September 21 2015 at 16:59
I really like Benefit and i agree with description of (at least its more acoustic and pastoral songs) its atmosphere as 'Autumnal' in feel.. 'Teacher' was on the US release but not the UK one.. i felt it was the lp where Tull most wanted to (on the rockier tracks) have a slightly rough, 'Hairy-arsed' rock feel like The Who or Family and their live shows around this time showed that to be the case.

-------------

Date Posted: September 21 2015 at 17:05
Great company in rainy days. Preferable with wine or scotch, depending on your taste.

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: September 21 2015 at 18:11
Great album. I love Witches Promise especially. They were clearly a Prog band by that point. The whole thing was a real stride forward.

Posted By: Gully Foyle
Date Posted: September 21 2015 at 19:08
love Benefit - i feel like these are the most unguarded songs Ian and Tull did, not much in the way of conceptual window dressing to the emotions and thoughts on display, and it has a unique musical feel, jazzier b/c of cornick, and of course the john evans factor.  

i think wond'ring again has some of the same vibe as benefit

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk