URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103273
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 06:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favorite Comedy Artists?
Posted By: presdoug
Subject: Favorite Comedy Artists?
Date Posted: July 14 2015 at 18:24
Who are your favorites Comedy Artists?
            There are so many out there-here are some of mine.

Victor Borge-"The Clown Prince Of Denmark", I recently bought some dvds of his old "The Victor Borge Show" from way back in 1951-classical music comedy, mainly. He's priceless. Also have some television special of him when he was way older, doing, among other things, his "quotation/punctuation mark speech". A natural and witty rib tickler.

Don Adams-I love Get Smart, and Max is in a league of his own. I get a kick out of his one liners, especially, always just at the right time.

Lucille Ball-l love The Lucy Show, and remember it when a wee boy in the 1960s, recently got back into on dvd.
Also great on that show is Gail Gordon.

Monty Python-my favorite piece of theirs is Monty Python and the Holy Grail-don't know a lot of their material, but get a kick out of that film, for sure.

those are just a few, what springs to mind for you folks?

Replies:
Posted By: GKR
Date Posted: July 14 2015 at 19:25
Monty Python for me. Half of what I'am today is thanks to them.

The other half is a bee.

-------------
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Posted By: Disparate Times
Date Posted: July 14 2015 at 19:54
I'll crank it up to 11 with this is spinal tap

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: July 14 2015 at 20:37

Love them. For me it's the best thing happened to British comedy since Monty Python.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: July 14 2015 at 20:57
Ok, just a few:

Rowan Atkinson aka Mr. Bean (nuff said)

Chris Rock

Robert Klein

Henny Youngman

Richard Pryor

Posted By: zachfive
Date Posted: July 14 2015 at 23:04
Yeah the Pegg and Frost combo is pretty good. I also like the Pryor and Wilder duo as well. I think Eddie Murphy is also worthy of a mention. Maybe not pure comedy but Jackie Chan brings a sense of humor to his insane stunts, and I like Chris Tucker enough to think the first two Rush Hour movies weren't horrible. Also Jim Carrey makes me laugh, first two Ace Ventura movies, Dumb and Dumber, Liar Liar are top notch comedies. Adam Sandler has some great stuff in his early career. Ben Stiller keeps making gems in my opinion, Tropic Thunder was hilarious and his old stuff like The Cable guy is a personal favorite of mine. Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant (Reno 911 guys) have made some funny films and television, Viva Variety Hour is pretty nich but had some moments.

I am a huge fan of stand up as well and to if I had to list a top 5 it would be
1.George Carlin
2.Louie CK
3.Doug Stanhope
4.Jim Jefries
5.Steven Wright

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: July 14 2015 at 23:29
1.- Peter Sellers
2.- Don Adams (Maxwell Smart)
3.- Walter Matthau
4.- Mel Brooks
5.- Marty Feldman

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 12:54
i think its Mathew Broderick played in Cable Guy, not Ben Stiller :/

-------------

Posted By: Skalla-Grim
Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 13:08
Like some of the previous posters I'm a Monty Python fan. Their greatest work, in my opinion, is still the Flying Circus. The films are good but they don't have the flavour of anarchy anymore, as the TV series does. "Their" best film (though only half of them were in it) is Jabberwocky, I think. I also like Blackadder and Little Britain.

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 16:44
Steve Coogan as Alan Partridge

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 17:13
Bill Cosby, the comedian.  Not a big fan of Bill Cosby, the man at this point in time.

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 17:21
yeah man...  I pissed myself silly growing up and listening to the Cosby comedy albums..

classic man.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 17:26
Stewart Lee is by far my favourite!

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 17:29
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah man...  I pissed myself silly growing up and listening to the Cosby comedy albums..

classic man.

Loved those records, would buy them used and run home to listen.  They were like gold.

Really a shame what's happened.   Another hero self-destroyed.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 17:35
ClapI have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard.. I probably hadn't heard that in 35-40 years.  Yet as soon as I saw Scott's post I thought.. .CHICKEN HEART!! LOL

I would to get a copy of those again..

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 17:35
Craig Fergusons monologues on late late show, makes me lol,

Robert Downeey jr as Tony Stark is hilarious

-------------

Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 17:48
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c3/Lenny_Bruce_Mugshot_4-27-63.jpg" rel="nofollow">File:Lenny Bruce Mugshot 4-27-63.jpg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCOeoj9eb3sYCFYtNiAodKHgKAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DTBqBlLy8PHk&ei=z-KmVd2gG5C0ogSxpboQ&bvm=bv.97949915,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNFlYgOqPSBOW_-HYJSbMPjW4Nb8TQ&ust=1437086807537234" rel="nofollow">

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 17:50

ClapI have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard.. I probably hadn't heard that in 35-40 years.  Yet as soon as I saw Scott's post I thought.. .CHICKEN HEART!! LOL

I would to get a copy of those again..

Tongue    Yesss, the Inner Sanctum, how he'd scare himself to death.  Love that one.

-------------

Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 17:52
Tony Law's brilliant. Couldn't recommend him more. Saw Phil Kay live because he gave my friend a tenner because she was working the doors at the fringe and was skint and he was phenomenal. Stewart Lee is wonderful.

The Goon Show is probably the funniest program ever made by the funniest people ever alive. Python's pretty good.

Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 17:53
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Craig Fergusons monologues on late late show, makes me lol,

Robert Downey jr as Tony Stark is hilarious

Downey is completely hysterical;  did you catch him in John Favreau's Chef ?

I miss Ferguson a lot, James Corden just doesn't cut it.   I don't see him lasting much longer.

-------------

Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 17:56
^ nope but i did catch Sherlock,

-------------

Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 18:00
^ Also good, but I think he's at his best when improvising.

-------------

Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 18:13
Redd Foxx

Posted By: zachfive
Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 19:59
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

i think its Mathew Broderick played in Cable Guy, not Ben Stiller :/

Ben Stiller directed it. And plays a small role as the twin brothers who are on trial through out the movie.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 20:37
Bob Hope
Jonathan Winters
George Carlin
Robin Williams
Steve Martin
Woody Allen
Bill Maher
Monty Python

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 20:55
did someone say... ICE CREAM!!! I'M GOING TO GET ICE CREAM!!!

classic...

-------------

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 20:59
Bill Burr
Larry David
Louis CK sometimes

-------------

Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 22:39

did someone say... ICE CREAM!!! I'M GOING TO GET ICE CREAM!!!
classic...

You ever get into some of his later stuff?  This one is particularly good

• My Father Confused Me-What Must I DoYou know when he performed he almost never did the same material twice.  Pretty amazing.

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 22:57
This one is one of my favorites.

-------------

Posted By: t d wombat
Date Posted: July 15 2015 at 23:22

Going to see him this Saturday evening. Very funny guy.

-------------
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: July 16 2015 at 08:16
Loved the early Cosby stuff growing up, Chicken Heart is classic.  Also liked the football one about Temple playing Hofstra LOL.  Redd Foxx also back then.

Monty Python
Mitch Hedberg
John Pinette
Foxworthy
Second City TV stuff from Canada
Marty Feldman had his moments

Of course, Mad Magazine...mainly the writers from the 60s and 70s.

-------------

Date Posted: July 16 2015 at 11:29
I har to thank David Letterman for making me appreciate political satire, while not a political satirist of the caliber of Maher, Stewart, Colbert, South Park dudes, yet hes touches it elegantly in monologues and in å jokingly way.

I have appreciate more of Letterman then what i have cringed, i like goofy humor and he was the king of goofy humor.

Also like the humor in Scrubs and Psych

Jerry Seinfeld is important to my apprecistion of humor.

-------------

Date Posted: July 21 2015 at 18:41
Goons yes, Pete and Dud, Monty Python etc etc but one of my all time favourites was Vivian Stanshall. Other than his Bonzo stuff Sir Henry at Rawlinson's End is simply an utterly anarchic masterpiece. (Movie and Radio Series)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GP987mljouI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-------------
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx

Posted By: LittleRushmonkey
Date Posted: October 01 2015 at 15:56
Rowan Atkinson, his live stuff is hilarious.

Also if anyone's heard of John Shuttleworth I've really been enjoying his stuff recently

Date Posted: October 19 2015 at 16:34
Carlin and Steve Wright are two of my favourite American comedians, along with Julius Henry Marx and Andy Kaufman.

-------------
Andrew B

Posted By: *frinspar*
Date Posted: October 20 2015 at 01:58
Unfortunately, everything Bill Cosby has ever said, put on film, or has done on TV, will now, or should, forever be tainted by the fact that he is a serial rapist who drugged women across decades and violated them.
I can't brush that knowledge aside to continue chuckling at him talking about chocolate cake. There's no room for compartmentalization. I took the 3 vinyl LPs of his I've had in my collection for a while and tossed them in the mulcher, then into the trash.
It's like saying, "Well, at least Gacy made kids smile when he dressed like a clown."

Whoever mentioned Bill Burr up there, yeah. He's good. 

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: October 20 2015 at 02:46
Yep - Rowan Atkinson - he just 'has it'.
Adam Sandler also.

Date Posted: October 20 2015 at 04:08
Originally posted by *frinspar* *frinspar* wrote:

Unfortunately, everything Bill Cosby has ever said, put on film, or has done on TV, will now, or should, forever be tainted by the fact that he is a serial rapist who drugged women across decades and violated them.
I can't brush that knowledge aside to continue chuckling at him talking about chocolate cake. There's no room for compartmentalization. I took the 3 vinyl LPs of his I've had in my collection for a while and tossed them in the mulcher, then into the trash.

It's very sad, those LPs are absolute classics and Cosby was a comedic hero of mine and many others.   A true shame, but I agree that his work is now tainted though I'd like to think those old routines still have value despite the horrible things he's done.

Steven Wright, Lenny Bruce, Norm MacDonald.  And a big shout out to Andy Kaufman, a true genius before his time.

-------------

Posted By: manofmystery
Date Posted: October 26 2015 at 22:43
As far as TV and movies are concerned the biggest influences over my personal humor have been Bill Murray (who i consider God), the Monty Python crew, John Swartzwelder and other pre-season-10 Simpsons writers, Conan O'Brien, the MST3K crew

As for stand-ups above all others has always been Norm Macdonald.  I tend not to judge stand-ups solely on their stand-up material but if they can kill and interview and Norm's always been a great/insane interview.  I also love Louie CK, Steven Wright, Bill Burr, Artie Lange, Gilbert Gottfried, Jim Norton, some others and of course Doug Stanhope:

-------------

Time always wins.

Posted By: *frinspar*
Date Posted: October 27 2015 at 01:59
I appreciate Jay Mohr doing Norm MacDonald more than I do Norm MacDonald. But when he's not doing stand-up, I think Norm is a genius.

Bill Murray has done 3 movies I care about, and not necessarily because of him. The rest of his career and output has been cringeworthy for me. He is the very definition of "try hard" IMO.

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: October 27 2015 at 03:13
On-screen and stand-up:
Christopher Titus

Stand-up:
George Carlin
Bill Burr
Alonzo Bodden
Lewis Black
Jim Norton
Doug Stanhope
Nick DiPaolo
Marc Maron
Louis CK
Chris Rock
Greg Warren
Orny Adams
Nick Griffin

Pretty much only Americans.

======================================

Edit update:
+ Eddie Ifft
+ Tom McCaffrey
+ Dave Attell
+ Simon King
+ Jackie Kashian

======================================

v  David Cross ... how could I forget?

Posted By: ClemofNazareth
Date Posted: October 27 2015 at 15:55
Lewis Black, Matt Lucas, David Walliams, David Cross, Matt Berry ...

and this guy Cool

-------------
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: October 27 2015 at 16:34
Laurel & Hardy
Marx Brothers
Richard Pryor
SCTV
Little Britain

-------------
Shake & bake.

Date Posted: October 27 2015 at 17:26

I appreciate Jay Mohr doing Norm MacDonald more than I do Norm MacDonald. But when he's not doing stand-up, I think Norm is a genius.

Bill Murray has done 3 movies I care about, and not necessarily because of him. The rest of his career and output has been cringeworthy for me. He is the very definition of "try hard" IMO.

That's odd because Bill Murray's never tried hard at anything in his life, at least acting wise.  Usually plays a variation of himself.  Guess you're just a bad viewer.

-------------

Time always wins.

Date Posted: October 27 2015 at 17:36
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

That's odd because Bill Murray's never tried hard at anything in his life, at least acting wise.  Usually plays a variation of himself.  Guess you're just a bad viewer.

Or you're a big Bill fan--  I agree he's never tried hard and is simply very funny.   On the other hand, one does have to show up on time, learn lines, work hard, and put up with crap.  You don't make it in showbiz just on talent.  You have to prove yourself.

-------------

Posted By: jayem
Date Posted: October 27 2015 at 17:44
Any good imitator !
Peter Sellers (esp Pink Panther's episodes in the 70's) 
Leslie Nielsen
Aldo Maccione
Christian Clavier
Mr Blobby
Fabrice Lucchini
Gérard Depardieu (esp. in Francis Veber's films)
"Hot Shots" team
"Friends" team
Monty Python (esp philosophers' football and bad loser Dark Knight's amputations)
Some of Mr bean's: Swimming Pool; micro-cars duals.
"Comme à la maison" team
"Golden Moustache" team
Ozzy Osborne

-------------
http://www.digger.ch/?lang=en" rel="nofollow - Support mine-clearing !
https://bandcamp.com/machinechance/?lang=en" rel="nofollow - bandcamp collection

Date Posted: October 27 2015 at 17:50
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

Or you're a big Bill fan--  I agree he's never tried hard and is simply very funny.   On the other hand, one does have to show up on time, learn lines, work hard, and put up with crap.  You don't make it in showbiz just on talent.  You have to prove yourself.

Then what are we arguing about?  Come here, you lug, let's hug it out.

-------------

Time always wins.

Date Posted: October 27 2015 at 17:54
We're not arguing, I was just injecting my opinion where it is surely unwanted.

-------------

Date Posted: October 27 2015 at 18:17
Does that mean you're refusing a big ol' man-hug?

-------------

Time always wins.

Date Posted: October 27 2015 at 19:37
From you?  Never.  Just lose the Quasimodo costume and we're good.

-------------

Date Posted: October 27 2015 at 20:10
Firesign Theatre

Posted By: DanicaL
Date Posted: January 26 2016 at 11:01
Louie CK is the top man right now. I think Bill Burr is going to be huge tho! check out his show "F is for family"

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: January 26 2016 at 11:36
Vico von Bülow, better known under his pseudonym "Loriot". The best German comedian there ever was (with his congenial partner Evelyn Hamann). Here one of his most famous sketches (with English subtitles; the humor loses a bit in translation though, and the part that is translated as "say you still need to noodle over my proposal" would better be translated as "say you don't like my nose", which is exactly what he is saying in German).

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: January 26 2016 at 11:47
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Firesign Theatre

Transcendent prog humor.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: cledussnow
Date Posted: February 05 2016 at 14:56
Mitch Hedberg
Steven Wright
Bob Newhart
Jackie Mason

Date Posted: February 06 2016 at 07:54
Robin Harris

Posted By: InstrupsychedeMental
Date Posted: February 06 2016 at 08:36
Maria Bamford
Mike Birbiglia
Bill Burr
Lee Camp
George Carlin
Louis CK
Joe DeRosa
Nick Dipaolo
Gary Gulman
Greg Giraldo
Bill Hicks
Myq Kaplan
Kathleen Madigan
Demetri Martin
Steve Martin
Eddie Murphy-Comedian is great
Patton Oswalt
Brian Regan
Doug Stanhope
Danel Tosh

Those mentioned have all had me in stitches at some time or another.
I've developed too much of a tolerance for repeated listens but my doctor advises me to pursue my daily nutritional requirements for humour, so thanks for starting this list...I shall use it to seek out and destroy any disgruntledness that permeate my psyche from here to infinity.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: February 06 2016 at 11:18
My new favourite (well for the past two years or so) is John Finnemore.

For a British comedian he's probably not that well known as he works mainly in radio and is famed for writing and appearing in two programmes on BBC Radio 4 - an ensemble-based sketch show called John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme and a sitcom, Cabin Pressure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabin_Pressure_%28radio_series%29" rel="nofollow - Cabin Pressure was a gem of a series that ran for 26 episodes and starred Finnemore, Stephanie Cole, Roger Allam and Benedict Cumberbatch with guest appearances by Timothy West and Anthony Head. I have to admit that I avoided Cabin Pressure to begin with because from the description it sounded like another dire sitcom about an airline cabin crew (like The High Life from BBC Scotland if anyone was unfortunate enough to see that), because it was a sitcom about an cabin crew. However, Finnemore managed to create something original and inventive from the format that avoided the normal stereotypes. 

-------------
What?

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: February 06 2016 at 14:47
I usually hate comedians but Brian Regan is absolutely outstanding. 

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Date Posted: February 06 2016 at 19:03
^ Regan is excellent -

-------------

Date Posted: February 06 2016 at 19:06
^^ I enjoyed that, Dean

-------------

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: February 06 2016 at 20:03
Originally posted by cledussnow cledussnow wrote:

Mitch Hedberg
Steven Wright

Love these two guys.  Mitch left us way too soon.

-------------

Date Posted: February 06 2016 at 21:13
^ and Wright is a genius.

-------------

Posted By: Guy Guden
Date Posted: February 07 2016 at 04:49
The Goons, collectively.  Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan singularly.  Radio first.  Film second.  TV third.
Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, on TV especially.

For the United States, classic experimental comedy, Ernie Kovacs and Stan Freberg.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk