Forum Description: Blogs, Editorials, Original articles posted by members
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103339
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 15:10
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Story Of Federico D'Andrea of Libra
Posted By: presdoug
Subject: The Story Of Federico D'Andrea of Libra
Date Posted: July 19 2015 at 11:07
        The following is an article written by me about the late musician/singer/songwriter Federico D'Andrea. Please feel free to make comments or add additional information.
                Federico D'Andrea, from Italy, was part of a duo music group known as Myosotis, who released 2 singles, "Tu Non Hai Piu Parole/Nel Giardino Di Molly" and "'Dietro La Finestra" in 1970 on Cat Records.
             Then, D'Andrea joined Italian group Logan Dwight, and sang some of the vocals on an album they recorded and released in 1972 on the PDU label. There was also a single released of the title track.
               Federico D'Andrea, along with other former Logan Dwight members Nicola Distaso, who became lead guitarist, and Alessandro Centofanti (also from Buon Vecchio Charlie) on keyboards, and Franco Ventura on guitar, developed some music based on the compositions of D'Andrea, who also played guitar, and assumed lead vocal duties. They were joined by David A. Walter on drums/percussion.
             Thus, from the spring of 1973, onwards, the group Libra took form. Reaction to the group was slow at first, with important support lacking from Italian producers and managers of the time.
             They decided to become part of the cast of a successful musical "Jacopone da Todi", with Claudio Barbera on bass replacing Ventura, met producer Danny Besquet, and after this, Dino Cappa joined on bass, replacing Barbera. In November, 1974, Libra's first album "Musica e Parole" was recorded in Milan, Italy,  produced by Besquet and PFM producer Claudio Fabi, with Gaetano Ria as sound engineer. At this time, Federico D'Andrea recorded a version of the album with corresponding English lyrics that he provided.. Musica e Parole met with good reviews.
               This Italian lyric version of the debut album was released in February, 1975, and in March came a long tour supporting Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso (with Keith Emerson in the audience at the first show in Venice) and this was successful, as well. Drummer David Walter left after this tour and was replaced by  Walter Martino, who was from the group Goblin.
                      Besquet was able to land Libra a contract with Motown in the USA for a 10 album deal, using the English language version of the debut album.That record, titled "Libra", was released in August, 1975. In the summer of that year, Libra rehearsed for two months for an American tour starting in October in Los Angeles, where they supported a variety of important artists, like Frank Zappa, The Tubes, Chicago, Steppenwolf, Savoy Brown, Thee Image, and Argent.
                          A follow-up English lyric album called "Winter Day's Nightmare" was recorded in Los Angeles in December, 1975, and while D'Andrea stayed behind for a few weeks to add the vocals, the rest of the band flew back to Italy. Released in the spring of 1976, featuring Federico D'Andrea on guitar and lead vocals, the record did not do well.
                          D'Andrea left Libra for personal matters. Sadly, on November 28th , 1978, he was run over by a car and killed in Rome, Italy.
                       This artist had a unique and special way with writing, singing, and playing music that will never be replaced.
                       I would like to dedicate this modest article to the life and music of Federico D'Andrea.

Replies:
Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: July 19 2015 at 11:51
Nice work Doug!  I don't know too much about this band but I have their '74 album and I enjoyed it.  I love that they scored a 10 album deal with Motown.

I pulled this quote for my review of the '74 album:  guitarist Nicola Di Staso remembers those days fondly, telling Augusto Croce "I have many fond memories of that time, because it was so authentic!! We wanted to conquer the world, at least the musical one, there was so much positive energy in the air, and it seemed to us in Libra that we had touched the sky with a finger, being able to play in the USA!"

-------------

Date Posted: July 19 2015 at 12:00
^Thanks very much, Jim. I love that quote you have posted.Thumbs Up

Date Posted: July 20 2015 at 18:34
Federico D'Andrea, second from far right

Date Posted: June 17 2016 at 19:39

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: June 18 2016 at 01:44
Thanks for that Doug! Like you I'm a big fan of the band, Musica E Parole remains one of my favourite Italian albums in my collection, beautiful music from such talented musicians.

Date Posted: June 18 2016 at 18:26
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Thanks for that Doug! Like you I'm a big fan of the band, Musica E Parole remains one of my favourite Italian albums in my collection, beautiful music from such talented musicians.
You're most welcome, Sagi. Glad to hear from you.

Date Posted: June 21 2016 at 16:42
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I have finally heard the original US Motown lp pressing of the English lyric version of the debut with the above cover; I am hearing things in the music I haven't before, not even on the Japanese CD of Musica e Parole, it is wonderful! The English version of the debut is great!

Date Posted: August 02 2016 at 17:52
Federico D'Andrea, second from far left.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk