Printed Date: May 03 2024 at 23:20
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2nd Round Classics: You v. Of Queues & Cures
Posted By: micky
Subject: 2nd Round Classics: You v. Of Queues & Cures
Date Posted: July 25 2015 at 08:52
next up... ahhhh

From Planet Gong ClapClapClapClap  Excellent review Scott! Clap

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4631" rel="nofollow">Gong - Radio Gnome Invisible Vol. 3 - You CD (album) cover

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4631" rel="nofollow - RADIO GNOME INVISIBLE VOL. 3 - YOU

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=848" rel="nofollow - Gong

Canterbury Scene

4.25 | 747 ratings

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=20315" rel="nofollow"> http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=20315" rel="nofollow - AtomicCrimsonRush
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team
5 stars You have to get Gong's 'You''

I have been wanting to get hold of this much esteemed, highly revered album in the weird world of prog for a long time; Gong's final part of the Radio Gnome Flying Teapot trilogy. After hearing the other two parts of the strange tale, 'You' hammers the final nail in the coffin for pot head pixies, octave doctor's, Zero the Hero and pussy witches everywhere. What were they on? From the very outset the album transports you into this drugged psychedelic universe where we land on planet Gong and experience dramatic shifts from accomplished musicianship to passionate flights into fantasy, where hallucinogenic drugs seem to take over.

'A PHP's advice' is simply weird, but it gets you in the right frame of mind and fires the imagination. "In case you don't remember this is what you do, get up out of bed... If you are a believer, what do you believe, why do you believe it.... let the Pot Head Pixies show them what to do.... if you've got a problem....remember you are me, I am you..." The lyrics are as quirky as ever, and almost non incidental, though inseparable from the musical ambience.

Gilli's space whispering is here again, on "Magick Mother Invocation" and those bizarre sound effects merge from the trees, and of course Daevid's idiosyncratic vocals that are pure Gong. The chanting Gregorian monks are unsettling but what more can any Gong addict ask for? Perhaps these aforementioned tracks are too peculiar or highly eccentric to be standouts on this album.

There are highlights here which have become part of Gong mythological folklore. These include 'A Sprinkling of Clouds', a lengthy but wonderful ambient mental instrumental, that is beautiful and haunting. A multi phased synthesizer pulsates and throbs along as spaced out effects echo. This is a bit like a vamped up version of Tangerine Dream in a sense. A very different approach from Gong, heavily reliant on keyboards, and fully instrumental. The icy glacial soundscapes transport us to another world with very effective ambient textures. Eventually a guitar lick locks in and a bass line that drives the track to its conclusion.

Also there is the compelling 'Master Builder'. This was segued from 'Magick..." and is like an alien tribal chant; a strange combination reminiscent of Magma meets Hawkwind. The spacey swooshes and piercing trills are off-kilter, and there is a pipe in their somewhere and a scorching saxophone solo. Glorious instrumental virtuosity with a wonderful bass line and off beat drumming keeping it all together. Then it stops and the birds are heard twittering in the trees as the track stops and starts, till it locks into a chant and phased guitar fret runs. The spacey effects are overkill at this point but its effective enough. Nonsensical lyrics propel it along and the sax builds to a climax.

But for any Gong Pot Head Pixie the quintessential tracks are 'The Isle of Everywhere' and the epic 'You Never blow Yr Trip Forever'. Both these tracks are arguably the best of Gong with spacey guitars and ethereal soundscapes that only Gong could create in their own inimitable style. 'The Isle of Everywhere' is quintessential Gong and is featured on all the best Gongompilations. 'You Never Blow Yr Trip Forever' features Daevid's wild jabbering and a quirky time sig and musical effects that sound childishly playful but like all Gong there is a dark undertone prevalent throughout, like a little innocent sweet girl in pigtails wielding a knife behind her back. This is as bizarre as you like Gong to be, beautiful flute and an ethereal keyboard create a feeling of morbid dread. The track plunges into an atonal shift into psychedelia "the more you know the more you don't know..." Daevid muses, and we are reintroduced to Zero the Hero, and the lyrics chatter about "the hole in the morning, dawning, ....around and round and round and round, ..maybe you like and maybe you won't and it's all the same it's all in the name... but you don't have to give up hope..." After this infantile but highly amusing section, we hear a narrative voice ending this bizarre trilogy, "Well there goes Zero The Hero turning around, and meanwhile all the characters of Planet Gong have to leave you now," they are farewelled, each one, and then Daevid asks the simple question and his farewell speech is basically "why don't you, why don't you, why don't you try, why don't you try, to try, oh why don't you tr-y-y-y-y-y-iyayiyi, why, why, don't you try". But there are no answers; the trilogy is over.

OK, It is not for all tastes certainly, perhaps too strange, off beat and downright unsettling, according to how jaded your sensibilities are, but if you allow it, Gong have an ability to captivate and finally entrance like no other. 'You' remains perhaps Gong's finest achievement along with the enthralling 'Angel's Egg' and mesmirising 'Flying Teapot'. Together they are the infamous and indispensable Flying Teapot Radio Gnome Invisible saga that every prog fan should experience at least once. A solid 5 stars. *****

and in the opposite corner

National Health! ClapClap  Reviewed by.. ahhh.. yes. Our newest collab and J-R/Fusion/Cant wunderkind.

Drew!! Congrats on the promotion man!! Clap

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=983" rel="nofollow">National Health - Of Queues and Cures  CD (album) cover

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=983" rel="nofollow - OF QUEUES AND CURES

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=257" rel="nofollow - National Health

Canterbury Scene

4.23 | 286 ratings

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=18054" rel="nofollow"> http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=18054" rel="nofollow - BrufordFreak
5 stars A band of serious, mature musicians who desire to make challenging, sophisticated music. Though all coming from Canterbury roots, I consider this album more akin to good jazz fusion than spacey, psychedelic experimentalist fun and silliness that some of the Canterbury stuff was. (Though by this time, as we all know, the Canterbury flower-power era was all but over.)

1. The Bryden 2-step (for Amphibians)" (8:55) begins with some floating instruments, finally gelling into a tightly woven, fast-paced collaborative piece. The recording quality is far superior to most of the Canterbury sounds coming before it, which is a big plus. Also, the instrumental mix is quite balanced with no one really going off to become the central show- person. The use of brass and woodwinds are effective. (8/10)

2. "The Collapso" (6:19) is fun experiment with Carribbean 'callypso' instrumentation and styles--more of a parody or play on them, really. Not any really memorable melodies or soli (maybe the fuzzed bass solo in the last minute?), it is another fairly tight group collaboration. (8/10)

3. "Squarer for Maud" (11:50) begins like 1960s European murder-mystery soundtrack: bass, piano, symbol play, cello, sustained electric guitar chords. With the rhythm-cum-melody established, Phil Miller takes the first lead with his electric guitar. At 2:15 arrives a little bridge to re-direct. The tones get heavier, more aggressive, as the sound effects on the stringed instruments get rougher around the edges. 4:07 another shift, this time into a more avant-jazz horn-led rhythm. Pip Pyle's drumming here is very tight, the glue that holds it all together--and continues to do so, along with Dave Stewart's wizardry at maintaining "controlled chaos"--Break! "Numinousness!" Quelle surprise! Slowed down piano chord progression but more frantic drum playing! The guitarist, too, brings his playing under control. The shift at 8:30 plays out into a frenetic, MAGMA-like frenzy of reckless abandon-- speed like that of a runaway train! Everybody's on board, now, they can't be stopped! Stewart and Miller are shining! the background accompanying brass is awesome! Then, spurt and sputter, it's a UNIVERS ZERO ending! Incredible song! (10/10)

4. "Dreams Wide Awake" (8:50) begins on the heavier side, like a MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA piece. The first soloist, Phil MIller, is awesome and ear-catching while his accompanists groove gets a little stale (this is jazz!) A rapid succession of key changes at 2:20 shift the music into Dave's World--organ and keyboard sounds we have all become quite used to associating with his work. The soloing is okay, but it's interesting to listen to Phil Miller's (too far up in the mix) accompanying rhythm guitar work. At 4:55 the band comes back together to give Phil and a couple of different guitar sounds another chance. At this point I'm realizing that the song is really just a basic jazz song trying to provide solid set ups for the two principle soloists to do their thing. Unfortunately, neither of the soloists is quite as captivating or mind-blowing as, say, a Lester Brown or John Coltrane. Good song. (7/10)

5. "Binoculars" (11:46) begins with multiple layered organs and horns(?) going through a beautiful progression of chords. At 1:08 Pip Pyle establishes a drum backbeat over which the others organize their chord progression (Those horns were Phil Miller's guitar!) over which some male voice sings a typically unforgettable flow-of-consciousness lyric. Nice delicate keyboard, bass, cymbol and flute work in the fourth minute lull section--and nice transition (by Pip Pyle) at the 3:53 mark taking the same melodic "pretty' part onto the expressway. 4:50 begins Dave's brief solo, before everything comes to a slowly rolling stop. (Very prettily, I might add--like a full orchestra! Is this a variation on that opening chord progression?) Horns and cacaphony until 7:55's return to bare-bones organ, cymbols and the singers tribute to John Wayne and Rip Torn. Very well recorded, this song! Excellent mix, balance and blend. Love the bass, drum and keyboard interplay in the tenth minute. Woodwinds and, later, Phil's screeching distorted guitar round out this final section of this beautiful song. Listen to John Greaves' bass work! Sublime. (9/10)

6. "Phlakaton" at 0:09, is this really a 'song?'

7. "The Bryden 2-step (for Amphibians) Part 2" opens with 'Jaws' rolling bass line, around which drums, organ, and fuzz guitar weave aggressively. By the end of the third minute the song has developed into a tight combo presenting with the same clarity and unity as they did on the opening number. Npt sure I'd end the album with the same spacey 'random' instrument play as they started, but, there you have it. They've come around full circle. (8/10)

As an example of the twilight evolution of the Canterbury bands, this is a positve note: maturity, (relative) sobriety, music to be taken serious, to be admired, not just to be amused by. If everything was quite at the level of the two masterpieces, "Squarer for Maud" and "Binoculars" we'd have an uncontested masterpiece. As it is, I appreciate Dave Stewart's reserve on this one, love the work of Pip Pyle, am duly impressed with that of bassist John Greaves, but, unfortunately, don't see that Phil Miller's work did anything to make him rise up with the cream. He's good but lacks that je ne sais quoi that makes one great.

4.5 stars, marked up for its quality at a time when quality was lacking (in production) or waning (in progressive rock)

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Replies:
Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: July 25 2015 at 09:00
AngryPinch C'mon! Ahhhhhhhhh.....You I guess.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: July 25 2015 at 09:10
I vote for You

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: July 25 2015 at 09:35
Big fan of both, but NH by a smidge

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: July 25 2015 at 09:55
National Health

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: July 25 2015 at 10:14
Great review there by Drew of the Health album.  I love You, esp the masterful Master Builder but the Health album is a real monster of Canterbury.  Amazing musicianship and what grooves, chilling out to it right now.  

Date Posted: July 25 2015 at 10:16
I always loved the first National Health more.. this one never quite 'hit' me the same way...thus is the one I grab to put in the player.

I'll give a refresher listen to that before voting.. but leaning heavily toward You.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: July 25 2015 at 10:35
Gong

-------------

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: July 25 2015 at 10:37
National Health. You is a good album but no more than that.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: July 25 2015 at 11:11
Hey you...oops, sorry, wrong album! Anyway, it gets my vote, although OQ&C is great, too.

-------------

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: July 25 2015 at 15:36
Wow that was a tough one.  National Health is a wonderful band, but You is just like a musical water slide.  It's a voyage.  National Health will always be, to me, a damned good fusion band.  But then if I want to go down that road, I'll pass up National Health any day for Brand X.  But I DO like National Health.  This is why this is difficult. :)

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Posted By: Andrea Cortese
Date Posted: July 25 2015 at 15:48
I prefer Angel's Egg over You. Still Gong wins the game

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: July 25 2015 at 16:49
I love both , hard choice. You by a micron Embarrassed

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: July 25 2015 at 16:53
Originally posted by Andrea Cortese Andrea Cortese wrote:

I prefer Angel's Egg over You. Still Gong wins the game

Same here!

-------------

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: July 25 2015 at 18:50
Gong, not a fan of National Health.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: TornadoTongue
Date Posted: July 25 2015 at 19:07
Gong - You

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 25 2015 at 20:00
Very close, but give me a fuzz-box and a Hammond and I'm in heaven.
Give me a VCS3, and I'll be lost........

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: July 25 2015 at 20:22
Queues, Cues, and more Kyooz !

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: July 26 2015 at 03:20
Health needs help. I'm help!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: July 26 2015 at 05:48
You.

-------------

Posted By: Skalla-Grim
Date Posted: July 26 2015 at 07:19
Hard choice again, but National Health is my most beloved canterbury band and though You is the best one of Gong Pixie Trilogy (or whatever it is called), the music still tends to get disorientated by silliness. 

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: July 26 2015 at 07:28
'You' by quite a vast margin....and that's saying something because I adore that National Health album too (though not as much as their debut).

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: July 26 2015 at 07:39
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

'You' by quite a vast margin....and that's saying something because I adore that National Health album too (though not as much as their debut).

My thoughts exactly. If National Health's debut had been selected for this contest, then it would have been much harder for me to choose. As things stand, my vote goes to the wonderful You!.

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: July 26 2015 at 07:39
As much as I appreciate "You" (what an originality, great mix of styles and wonderful playing!) I vote National Health.
Not just a sympathy vote, but full support.
Of Queues And Cures is one of my top favorite Canterbury albums.

Date Posted: July 26 2015 at 07:44
Gong and that album are much more aligned to my musical G-spot... and do agree..  if it had been the debut it would have been harder.

Still... making Of Queues the first album of the day. Perhaps a refresher listen (the debut is what we play here for the most part when we want a Nat. Health itch scratched) might sway me.

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2015 at 08:11
yeah...  good album. But just realized as I'm sitting here posting.. it has been playing.. and well...  it sounds like nothing more than background music.  Barely registering in my conscious mind unless I was concentrating on it.  Great music jumps out and grabs you by the balls and compels you by the power of Fripp to take notice..

good album.. not a great one.

You it is.

-------------

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: July 26 2015 at 09:47
I never cared for the gnome trilogy so I voted accordingly. 

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: July 26 2015 at 11:35
Love both albums, You is my favourite Gong, OQ&C is in my top 3 Canterbury albums. I'm giving it to NH because of Dave Stewart being ... you know

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 27 2015 at 04:53
Tougher than Baca and UZ...

Queues

You!

-------------

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: July 27 2015 at 17:13
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

My thoughts exactly. If National Health's debut had been selected for this contest, then it would have been much harder for me to choose. As things stand, my vote goes to the wonderful You!.

I agree, the debut is superior, but NH still get my vote.

Posted By: t d wombat
Date Posted: July 28 2015 at 19:33
I'm not all that up on National Health but having had a listen would have to agree the earlier album was superior but even so the Gong thing is irresistable.

-------------
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: July 29 2015 at 20:45

National Health, Of Queues and Cures.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: July 29 2015 at 21:13
Actually surprised how well NH are doing against the worshiped Gong.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 30 2015 at 20:28
National Health

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: July 31 2015 at 16:11
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Actually surprised how well NH are doing against the worshiped Gong.

yep.. the same band that what.. made it to the final 4 or last 8 of the band competition.  Much closer than I thought it would be for sure.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk