Topic: 2nd Round Moderns: De-loused v. The Devouring
Posted By: micky
Subject: 2nd Round Moderns: De-loused v. The Devouring
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 08:36
next up!! Hard one here man...

In the near corner....The Mars Volta!!! Clap

and in the far corner...Djam Karet!! Clap

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Replies:
Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 08:43
Love both but like TMV a lil more.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 08:45
Both good, edge to Jam Carrot

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 09:05
Haven't heard The Devouring in full, so I won't vote, unless the modern masterpiece that is De-Loused really needs it.

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 09:06
Djam Karet. I'm probably one of the few people who don't like The Mars Volta. They are good musicians, but I can't get into their music.

Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 09:07
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Djam Karet. I'm probably one of the few people who don't like The Mars Volta. They are good musicians, but I can't get into their music.

same here actually.. but holding this vote.  Likely going to try ..yet again... to see what others (including my dear wife) see in that album. I should love it...it is right in my stylistic G-spot... but I don't.. there is a reason there. I never have put my finger on why

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 10:50
Both are excellent but i'm going with The Mars Volta here.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 11:20
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Both are excellent but i'm going with The Mars Volta here.

This. If it had been The Trip then I might've gone with Jam Soiree.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 14:26
TMV by light years. My favorite band. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 14:50
TMV all the way here.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 15:17
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

TMV all the way here.

For me as well.

Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 15:24
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

TMV all the way here.

For me as well.

you too huh... what am I missing.

Going to have Raff put this on after this soulless cold Gentle Giant album is finished LOL

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 16:21
hmmmm..  sitting here listening to Deloused...

stylistically I should love it ... but don't.. why?  Perhaps I've finally figured it out.

Blunt force trauma man...  I love it.  Some of my most favorite.. even beloved prog classics are like that. YS is a great comparison. Brutal, hard, complex and chaotic.  What is this missing.

For one .. albums like YS or Vietato ai minori di 18 anni have a meaning..  a purpose. A theme. I sense none here. The key to the success of albums like those is even while you are being beat over the head with a 2x4 there is a certain.. beauty to it.  As I noted one time.. if Sam Peckinpah had ever grabbed a hammond organ.. HE would have been the one to have done an album like YS.

so in summation. Why has Deloused never really grabbed me.. when it should have being an album of a style I completely adore.   YS is being over the 2x4 by someone whom you've spilt their beer or knocked over their Harley in the parking lot... Deloused.. is being beat over the head senselessly by someone passing you in the street.

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 16:27
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

stylistically I should love it ... but don't.. why?  Perhaps I've finally figured it out.

Blunt force trauma man...  I love it.  Some of my most favorite.. even beloved prog classics are like that. YS is a great comparison. Brutal, hard, complex and chaotic.  What is this missing.

For one .. albums like YS or Vietato ai minori di 18 anni have a meaning..  a purpose. A theme. I sense none here. The key to the success of albums like those is even while you are being beat over the head with a 2x4 there is a certain.. beauty to it.  As I noted one time.. if Sam Peckinpah had ever grabbed a hammond organ.. HE would have been the one to have done an album like YS.

so in summation. Why has Deloused never really grabbed me.. when it should have being an album of a style I completely adore.   YS is being over the 2x4 by someone whom you've spilt their beer or knocked over their Harley in the parking lot... Deloused.. is being beat over the head senselessly by someone passing you in the street.

Have you heard Frances The Mute yet? I do prefer it to the one listed here although maybe it wouldn't matter as both are insane.

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 16:29
I think I have.. Raff is a huge fan.. in fact..I'm getting quite the monolog from her from across the table as I write LOLHeart

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 16:31

I think I have.. Raff is a huge fan.. in fact..I'm getting quite the monolog from her from across the table as I write LOLHeart

LOL

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 17:01

I do quite like Deloused. I've been revisiting it lately. But I think it's become the only one of theirs that I really like. I tried revisiting the others with less than satisfactory results. 

Not sure what you mean by not sensing any theme or purpose. It does seem that, by themselves, the tracks contain a large amount of fat. But together, they seem to work. For me anyway. They have a lot of wonderful melodic moments, especially in the guitars. I think it's Omar's best guitar work. And it still contains the hardcore intensity of At the Drive-In, which I like.

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 17:08
perhaps it will be a grower. It has been known to happen LOL

I think Raff may have also hit on something that keeps it from really connecting.. it's underlying punk influences.. which don't really connect with me. Plus there is the complete lack of colors that keyboard driven.. or keyboard infused prog albums can deliver. Perhaps that right there might be the biggest key. I do love guitar driven prog.. but most of that is more riff based of the traditional heavy prog.  It just sounded kind of samey...

I'm sure I'll have plenty of chance to have it grow on me..  Raff loves it..

-------------

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 18:00

I think Raff may have also hit on something that keeps it from really connecting.. it's underlying punk influences.. which don't really connect with me. Plus there is the complete lack of colors that keyboard driven.. or keyboard infused prog albums can deliver. Perhaps that right there might be the biggest key. I do love guitar driven prog.. but most of that is more riff based of the traditional heavy prog.  It just sounded kind of samey...

Yeah, the punk influences are probably the reason it appeals to me and not their later albums. I definitely like myself a bit of punkiness. But I can see where that would be unappealing to many a prog fan.

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Posted By: t d wombat
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 21:02
Another hard one damn it. I like both outfits but not so much either album though I havn't heard all of The Devouring. Against the spirit I know but I'm afraid DK gets it though not so much based on this album. 

-------------
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx

Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 21:10
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Yeah, the punk influences are probably the reason it appeals to me and not their later albums. I definitely like myself a bit of punkiness. But I can see where that would be unappealing to many a prog fan.

perhaps that is why they are a bit of a divisive band.. or perhaps more of a band of extremes...some seem to adore them.. others would rather have red iron irons jammed up their asses than listen to them.

-------------

Posted By: Kazza3
Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 03:48
The 'punkiness' is stronger here than on the following albums, so there's another reason to give Frances and Amputechture (criminally underrated) another go. Amputechture might also have more of the colours you're looking for, though it is generally considered to be kind of long-winded and strange, a far cry from Deloused where every track is (comparatively) concise and hits you right between the eyes. But I do prefer Amputechture, and I strongly recommend it, if you can find time amongst all of the poll listening...

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 10:57

That's something I noticed at first listen: the keyboards are always on background unlike the tiresome loud guitars. I think the second album is better in that aspect, but that album seems lenghtier and more inconsistent Confused

Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 11:51

TMV all the way here.

For me as well.

you too huh... what am I missing.

Going to have Raff put this on after this soulless cold Gentle Giant album is finished LOL

Hard to say why I like what I heard by TMV. Dedication? Originality? There's something happening.
Also hard to say why I don't like Djam Karet, at all...
BTW I love GG too! Soulless, maybe... but dreamy, imaginative, colourful...

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 13:36
TMV, though the Devouring is great as well.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 17:03
De-loused

-------------

Posted By: pianoman
Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 18:36
Went with The Mars Volta here, even though it's the only album they made I truly love. Frances the Mute is decent, but they lost something special after this one.

Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 20:47
^ I think that was Raff's feeling as well.  She is big on this one and Francis.. not as much on the others IIRC.

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 21:01

my love affair with GG begins with the debut and ended after Octopus LOL.. they  lost something very tangible in their sound when Phil left the band..

oh somethings like...dreaminess, imagination, atmosphere, soul, and colour not to mention a damn fine vocalist.

-------------

Posted By: pianoman
Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 21:23

my love affair with GG begins with the debut and ended after Octopus LOL.. they  lost something very tangible in their sound when Phil left the band..

oh somethings like...dreaminess, imagination, atmosphere, soul, and colour not to mention a damn fine vocalist.

No love for Power and the Glory? There are some beautiful tracks there: 'Aspirations' and 'Playing the Game' come to mind.

Date Posted: August 03 2015 at 01:14

I have the same thing: the first four albums. The Phil-factor.
I do like some tracks on later albums a lot. But the first four are my favorite.

Posted By: Altairius
Date Posted: August 03 2015 at 02:10
Djam Karet is a very good, eclectic band. I like Recollection Harvest more but The Devouring is probably my second favorite from them.

TMV is among my least favorite bands ever. I can offhand name 2 artists more obnoxious.

Date Posted: August 03 2015 at 17:08
Originally posted by pianoman pianoman wrote:

No love for Power and the Glory? There are some beautiful tracks there: 'Aspirations' and 'Playing the Game' come to mind.

ohh...  no love I suppose.  However I respect the hell and like every damn one of their albums. Few to any bands can claim that.. they really did not do one 'less than good' album.  However to get the love you have to be great.. and those first 4 albums had things the later ones did not.  You will not find anywhere in their last 4 moments like Schooldays .. or Edge of Twilight.. or even something like Black Cat.  IN those they had a distinct mastery of atmosphere and letting the music breath.. and sink IN before dazzling you with their insturmental and compositional skills. 

enjoy.. but never could love.

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: August 03 2015 at 17:14
The Devouring

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Komandant Shamal
Date Posted: August 03 2015 at 19:00

i voted for "The Devouring".

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 04 2015 at 20:03
TMV

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: August 05 2015 at 15:17

The Mars Volta, De-Loused in the Comatorium.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: August 06 2015 at 08:44
TMV

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: August 07 2015 at 18:01
Sorry to vote about Djam Karet, whose music I find very appealing, but De-Loused is one of the greatest albums released in this century - even if an acquired taste for many.

Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: August 08 2015 at 04:18
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Sorry to vote about Djam Karet, whose music I find very appealing, but De-Loused is one of the greatest albums released in this century - even if an acquired taste for many.

It's odd; I absolutely love The Bedlam in Goliath, which most people find more divisive, but can't stand De-Loused, probably because of all the slow psychedelic bits that I don't think work for it. I've been enjoying Djam Karet so far. Might even get a vote in by the deadline.

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: August 08 2015 at 06:21
Good thing De-Loused didn't need my help, I'd hate to vote against an album I hadn't heard in full when it's head-to-head.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk